PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to see Croft Manor (Lara's mansion) back in TR10 or later?

Pages : 1 [2]

dark7angel
11th Feb 2014, 16:31
lol. it would be so wrong if a pool is missing. how else can she learn swimming since she cant swim on yamatai? :p
maybe sam is her instructor :naughty:

Sam is so useless and helpless she would probably drown herself! :rasp:

Thetford
11th Feb 2014, 17:45
lol. it would be so wrong if a pool is missing. how else can she learn swimming since she cant swim on yamatai? :p
maybe sam is her instructor :naughty:

She can learn at the Public Baths like everybody else.

Jurre
11th Feb 2014, 17:52
^ I am pretty sure she can swim already: the folks were just joking here :)

Thetford
11th Feb 2014, 17:55
^ I am pretty sure she can swim already: the folks were just joking here :)

As was I.

Psychomorph
13th Feb 2014, 21:36
Does this really need to be asked? Or is it a rhetorical question?

To stick out of the crowd just let me say "No", no mansion in TR10, please.

:|

J.Maverick
17th Feb 2014, 21:11
Yep... I'm still scarred from Underworld.

I guess it does depend on what kind of story is being told here; for example, it made perfect sense to not include, or even mention, Croft Manor in TR2013.

That said, more than just the manor's maze, I'd like to see it used to explore Lara's mystique. At least in the recent games, there's always been a specific emotion guiding Lara through her journey, I think the manor would work as a platform to explore Lara's passion for her work, and be less about y'know, surviving, hunting lost loved ones, or getting revenge, etc.

Benovine
20th Mar 2014, 11:47
It's so fun! It got better and better with every game in the beginning, it's a shame they stopped doing it in TR4.

I hope they make a manor with easter eggs and secret puzzles and all sorts, and I hope it's an unlockable too because that gives really good incentive to look for secrets in the game :)

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 23:46
Warning: Spoiler Alert! for anyone who hasn't read the below mentioned graphic novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17565745-tomb-raider-the-beginning

In the graphic novel, The Beginning, that came as a preorder bonus from some retailers and packaged with the collector's edition of Tomb Raider (2013), there's a little blurb involving Lara's wealth that got me thinking about Croft Manor.

Within the text, in a scene where Dr. Whitman stresses over being able to finance the expedition, he inquires to Roth about Lara's wealth, essentially asking, "Isn't Lara rich?" to which Roth replies something along the lines of, "Yes, but she's got her money locked up so tight, she couldn't touch it if she wanted to. She wants to make her own way."

It's slightly foreshadowing that we may never see Croft Manor, at least not for quite some time, anyway. If Lara intends to work and make her own money (as she did working as a waitress or bartender at the Nine Bells pub in England), she wouldn't live immodestly in either of the three manors earned in her inheritance and may instead live in her own apartment of the sort. If she doesn't have access to her inheritance funds or otherwise, she wouldn't be able to afford Croft Manor's upkeep.

If that is in fact the case, it makes Croft Manor the setting of Rise of the Tomb Raider's announcement trailer (the scene with Lara's therapist) less and less likely.

While I would love for the return of Croft Manor, I honestly would rather they didn't include it now that they've essentially hinted to the fact that Lara has to work for a living or obtain finance through other means of earning her way. However, isn't it a little hard to do that when you're globe-trotting for sport and discovering the truth behind the myths we've heard? Even still, how does she even finance these adventures?

Too many questions that need answering, I'd say. :p

Thoughts?

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 23:53
I wonder about this. Nice observation, though. Especially considering the question of how she'll be able to afford the luxury of globe trotting. :o

She might become a best selling author. Ha autobiography - THE BIBLE of Croft! On Amazon now!

DamianGraham
21st Aug 2014, 00:03
I'm sure she has Croft Manor in the currently "universe" so to speak, but I do agree that based on how stubborn Lara is, she probably would rather live in her own space before accepting inheritance. If you've been keeping up with the comics by chance, it actually shows her apartment that she shares with Sam (Ooh-la-la ;p) but I'm okay with it, It'd still be really awesome to get to see the casual side of Lara in this game as we have in the past.

a_big_house
21st Aug 2014, 00:04
Since they first announced that this Lara would be more of a 'working girl' (my own words) my hopes of seeing a manor floated away... However, this doesn't mean that we can't at least have a scene inside Lara and Sam's London flat :D

Another point to make as well, is that since this is a reboot timeline, we now potentially have the ability to see 3 brand new manors (assuming that part of her history stays the same) :naughty:

DamianGraham
21st Aug 2014, 00:18
Since they first announced that this Lara would be more of a 'working girl' (my own words) my hopes of seeing a manor floated away... However, this doesn't mean that we can't at least have a scene inside Lara and Sam's London flat :D

Another point to make as well, is that since this is a reboot timeline, we now potentially have the ability to see 3 brand new manors (assuming that part of her history stays the same) :naughty:

When I read "working girl" all I could think of was Janice from Angel of Darkness :lol: "Move along, you make zee place look crowded". :lmao:

Murphdawg1
21st Aug 2014, 01:24
A manor or flat would be a cool place to get to explore and unwind in between adventures since she will be globe trotting. Could also do pre adventure planning such as choosing what outfit Lara would start with before going to each location.

Error96_
21st Aug 2014, 01:30
While I would love for the return of Croft Manor, I honestly would rather they didn't include it now that they've essentially hinted to the fact that Lara has to work for a living or obtain finance through other means of earning her way. However, isn't it a little hard to do that when you're globe-trotting for sport and discovering the truth behind the myths we've heard? Even still, how does she even finance these adventures?

I still don't think there is anything that makes Croft Manor impossible. If she a great amount of wealth available she wouldn't want anyone in the crew treating her different for that or money-grabbers like the shady Dr Whitman nagging her for it hence she keeps quiet on that. It maybe that the inheritance has some big legal clauses in it that are still to be worked out with the issues still hanging over what happened to her parents. The contrast between Lara having this potentially sheltered and spoiled life as possibility and yet going out adventuring is part of what makes her. That shouldn't be lost in this reboot. This isn't a Lara who would go in a tomb, find a great artefact and then sell it on because she needs to make a living.

In terms of including Croft Manor in this or future games I absolutely want to see it back. It doesn't have to be this game but at some point soon. I have always really enjoyed exploring it as a nice break from the heavier main game. It has always been an important part of TR and I would go as far to say removing it from Lara's story perminantly would be unforgiveable.

Tecstar70
21st Aug 2014, 06:43
Just because she has wealth that doesn't mean she can't live at CM and still live a "simple" life. The house may be covered, its just the general wealth that is locked up or even just put aside but available. Lara may be strong willed and just not want to use it.

You could travel the globe without having your own personal jet but getting your guns through customs may be a problem!

DrCroft
21st Aug 2014, 08:06
I kind of like the idea that she may have to reluctantly return to the manor, maybe for something that is hidden in the house or because the money is wrapped up so tight; she literally has nothing but the property. This happens more than you would think in the UK with owners of large estates.

Metalrocks
21st Aug 2014, 08:43
I kind of like the idea that she may have to reluctantly return to the manor, maybe for something that is hidden in the house

thats what i was thinking as well now. or she generally goes there to see winston and does maybe some reading there or going through her parents stuff in hope she might find a hint or clue to find out where they might be.

FarronFox
21st Aug 2014, 14:31
Of course, we need Croft Manor!

I love having just a place to go running, swimming, jumping, etc. It's also good if secrets and so on are implemented in there.

kiadaw
21st Aug 2014, 19:57
Would made a good centralize base (like the bat cave) between the globe trotting.

Weemanply109
21st Aug 2014, 21:31
When I read "working girl" all I could think of was Janice from Angel of Darkness :lol: "Move along, you make zee place look crowded". :lmao:

That line will never get old. :lol:

I want cattiness in the reboot series again. From both Lara and her opposition!

a_big_house
21st Aug 2014, 21:35
I want cattiness in the reboot series again. From both Lara and her opposition!

I wouldn't mind seeing Jonah in a catsuit either! You are full of great ideas :D

ARaider
21st Aug 2014, 21:47
I wouldn't mind seeing Jonah in a catsuit either! You are full of great ideas :D
agyrzh_what-did-you-just-say.gif
Jonah in a catsuit?:eek: I like him, but my heart can't take that.:p

Weemanply109
21st Aug 2014, 21:49

Not into bears, tbh. :whistle:

Cristiavano
22nd Aug 2014, 07:58
I just loled

BeastCallisto
24th Aug 2014, 01:48
I second the wishes for the manor. Gosh, I loved that. I missed it so much in Yamatai.

LaraCroft04
30th Aug 2014, 13:29
You like FB buttons so much? Okay, here ya go :p :D

http://driber.net/os/facebook_like_button.png (http://driber.net/os/facebook.php?like=1) http://driber.net/os/facebook_dislike_button.png (http://driber.net/os/facebook.php?like=2)

Hahaha I just liked it and saw the message :lol:

BridgetFisher
30th Aug 2014, 14:07
Not into bears, tbh. :whistle:

I would like to see an unlockable outfit where Lara Croft wheres a bear outfit, the kind where her face sticks out of the mouth or maybe like the pajamas Lain wears. Since their going for that average kind of look thing it could work... Or as a DLC people would throw money at them.

Jurre
22nd Sep 2014, 23:53
So there is this game called Nibiru the age of secrets... It's not all that good, but it's got some gorgeous imagery including an old timey mansion: if Crystal D was gonna make another Croft Manor I wouldn't mind if they took some inspiration from this :)

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Sep 2014, 00:13
I'd like to see it return at some point. I get why it wasn't in TR2013. It just wouldn't have made sense to include given that games story and location. One minute you're on the island hunting deer and stabbing people in the skull with a climbing axe, next you're in the Manor moving blocks and trying to lock Winston in a freezer. Would've been a bit bi-polar. So if it actually makes sense in relation to the next story and/or setting, yeah bring it back. It's always nice to have a change of pace in a game now and then. Especially if you're frustrated atm ("GRAH! Just JUMP and GRAB!! You've done it before!").

BridgetFisher
2nd Oct 2014, 12:56
Does this really need to be asked? Or is it a rhetorical question?

To stick out of the crowd just let me say "No", no mansion in TR10, please.

:|

It would be a nice place to visit between hubs? View collected artifacts if the game has any test weapons at a shooting range and try on different outfits. In the old tomb raider game there were these books lying all over showing things the real devs looked at when making the game, it was fun to read, so it would be nice if put in the game. A place to plan a mission, choose gear, or try on outfits from DLC packs or unlocks. Also a good training area to practice different moves and a shooting range would be nice. Like a mission planning center just like in Splinter Cell Blacklist except much more fashionable with everyones favorite butler Winston.

yamatai_veteran
14th Oct 2014, 12:59
Manor is just fun and the more quirky places it has to explore like secret rooms the better. Not like set in an order that you have to visit places but fully free roam. It was obvious in TRU/TR(2013) that exploring mansion wasn't there.

NikNak513
16th Oct 2014, 22:28
Yes - but in TR11 or later.

AlexWeiss
25th Oct 2014, 14:44
Even if the manor is just a level in the game where Lara has to go home for something, I would love that, but seeing a completely separate Croft Manor like in Legend and the first few games would be amazing.
SHORT ANSWER: YES YES YES

meldieching
30th Oct 2014, 06:38
I would really love exploring the Manor. I like seeing lots of rooms open to be explored. I always love playing these kinds of games. I look forward to exploring the Manor in between adventures.

Scion_Light
6th Dec 2014, 02:16
I was sad not to see it included in TR 2013 so yeah I want it back

NightRain'06
17th Dec 2014, 23:39
I was sad not to see it included in TR 2013 so yeah I want it back

Agreed ! I would also love it if her new humble abode was included in the next TR ! I can only imagine it ! :eek: :eek: :D :D !!

AlexWeiss
18th Dec 2014, 01:13
Definitely a yes for TR10 but it was obvious why we didn't play in TR9, as mentioned earlier, it just wouldn't have made sense, even between hubs. On top of that, it's been greatly spoken by Crystal that Lara has her inheritance tied up so tightly so she can't touch it, she wants to stand on her own feet, not on her parents' shoulders. Croft Manor was seen in the comics though (nerdy little Lara was too, classic braid and all).

I do think there's potential to weave in Croft Manor into the tapestry of TR10; perhaps Lara takes a little trip down memory lane, whether it's a flashback to being a child (which would be nice considering we know nothing about her mother besides she went missing with her father years back) or she goes back to get something that will help her in her adventure. It sounds cheesy, but I trust Rhianna would have a better, more well written reason.

TSUSMC9
27th Dec 2014, 06:58
So there is this game called Nibiru the age of secrets... It's not all that good, but it's got some gorgeous imagery including an old timey mansion: if Crystal D was gonna make another Croft Manor I wouldn't mind if they took some inspiration from this :)

This is nice, I wouldn't mind it myself. I'm pretty excited if it were to be in game just because of the change in effects since it was last featured. It could be incredible.

Blacktron
29th Dec 2014, 21:58
After a heated debate my friends and I came to the conclusion that it would be awesome if Lara's manor house was not located in England but on an Island near England, like the Isles of Scilly or something, on a high rock, looking out over sea with the seawater splashing against the rocks below.

Also on the Island there would be ruins of a Roman castellum, a WOII plane wreck, and caves with mammoth paintings. Paintings of mammoths, not paintings by mammoths... Just FYI

Steel_Wing
13th Feb 2015, 14:41
Croft Manor is so much fun and a part of Lara's story so I have to say yes to bring it back.

a_big_house
13th Feb 2015, 14:58
^ You reminded me of a thought...

It might have been discussed in the GI thread but I cba to flick back through to check, anyway, this piece of concept art got me thinking...

Assuming this is Lara and Sam's apartment; since there's art for it, do you think we'll get to see it in Rise? :D

Blacktron
13th Feb 2015, 15:28
Very well possible: a treasure hunt story often begins inside the hero's house were they find the treasure map behind an old painting or in their grandpa's seaman's chest. Then they travel to the other side of the world to find it. This could be the setting of the opening cutscene. Or a flashback like the Sam cam in TR9, either way: the setup to the story.

By the way: Lara's got a man's bicycle, or would it be Jonah's?

Charlie_T_Raider
28th Mar 2015, 12:37
I always enjoyed exploring Croft Manor in the games especially TR2 going intoTR3 with the maze, Winston fridge and the secret rooms. I was like wow when you explored the original manor and then new bits emerged through the games. Would just LOVE to see it back and believe Lara's bio is better with it in. Makes her more sophisticated.

a_big_house
28th Mar 2015, 18:58
Reposting this from the news thread... *pees*

Venture Capital Post: "ROTTR Update: Lara Croft's London Apartment (http://crystald.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=22159706c1a334cca9e3e4d0e&id=a0255f41f0&e=ed457066b1)"

Error96_
28th Mar 2015, 21:06
Hearing the manor will come back into Lara's story is incredible and can't wait to get a game where we can explore it - the 20th anniversary treat perhaps. London apartment fair enough but can't wait to be back in the Manor.

IvanaKC
28th Mar 2015, 21:06

Venture Capital Post: "ROTTR Update: Lara Croft's London Apartment (http://crystald.us9.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=22159706c1a334cca9e3e4d0e&id=a0255f41f0&e=ed457066b1)"

Niiiiice :D

If only there were pictures... :whistle:

AlexWeiss
29th Mar 2015, 00:25

I read this last Saturday but didn't know if I wanted to post it here/on TRF because it didn't confirm anything, but rather spoke of possibilities. I forget, though, did they mention Lara wanting to get the Croft Estate back in issue #13 of the comics?

Rai
29th Mar 2015, 01:29
I read this last Saturday but didn't know if I wanted to post it here/on TRF because it didn't confirm anything, but rather spoke of possibilities. I forget, though, did they mention Lara wanting to get the Croft Estate back in issue #13 of the comics?
Yeah this article seems very speculative. In one paragraph it says there's a possibility and in the next, it says the game will go into the history of the manor and how Lara acquired it. It's written in poor English. What do they mean it was removed due to rants? :p. I noticed the mention of Rise coming to other platforms 'shortly after' the Xbox release, twice. I guess they come from the tecstar school of thought :p.

And yes, Lara approached her uncle to ask he sign the Croft estate over to her, but he refused.

Driber
30th Mar 2015, 14:00
Definitely a yes for TR10 but it was obvious why we didn't play in TR9, as mentioned earlier, it just wouldn't have made sense, even between hubs. On top of that, it's been greatly spoken by Crystal that Lara has her inheritance tied up so tightly so she can't touch it, she wants to stand on her own feet, not on her parents' shoulders.

I don't think the inheritance thing was something that would've stood in the way of featuring the manor in TR9. Lara didn't necessarily needed to own it.

"The title will be released for the Xbox One platform and will be making its way to the Microsoft Windows and PS4 platform shortly afterwards."

"Rise of the Tomb Raider will arrive on Xbox One and Xbox 360 during the holiday 2015, followed by PlayStation 4 and PC later on."

"The mansion was removed from the previous game after rants."

Ugh, terribly sloppy article. I'm not sure if anything in it is really reliable.

Would add it to the OP, but it's too messy. Do we have any other sources for the news about Croft manor?

a_big_house
30th Mar 2015, 14:27
Ugh, terribly sloppy article. I'm not sure if anything in it is really reliable.

Would add it to the OP, but it's too messy. Do we have any other sources for the news about Croft manor?

Nope; you posted it in the news thread, not me :D

AlexWeiss
31st Mar 2015, 18:21
And yes, Lara approached her uncle to ask he sign the Croft estate over to her, but he refused.
My bad, that was poor wording on my part, I meant did they mention that part of the comic in the article that Abe posted :)

Driber
31st Mar 2015, 23:12
Nope; you posted it in the news thread, not me :D

Oh lol I see. Didn't pay all that much attention to it when I posted it, heh.

Well then I'll leave it out of the OP for now. Poke me when something more reliable surfaces, heh.

Driber
27th Apr 2015, 21:24
Hmm, did Brian Horton just hint at a return of Lara's mansion.... http://driber.net/os/detective.gif

sGIG8_fXx_U

Metalrocks
28th Apr 2015, 01:47
sounded more like the mansion is there. this abrupt silence for a moment sure sounded that way. even when we may not be able to go to it but it could be mentioned, if not even seen and lara would get flashbacks of her childhood at that place.

Chaugmar
7th May 2015, 10:51
Croft Manor has always been a winning feature in TR and the soon it back the better.

Photodinopathy
2nd Jun 2015, 15:56
In the things lost and gained in reboot Croft Manor is one of the things I really miss.

Gitb97
2nd Jun 2015, 16:22
Either the abrupt silence was bad connection or someone didn't know how to respond ;) Very pleased that they thought about incorporating a home into this game whether it be the manor or not.

chrisdaventry
2nd Jun 2015, 17:35
If Croft Manor isent back in ROTTR because Lara lives in a Flat, it would be so cool where right at the End of the Game we would see Croft Manor with a Gate Infront that has a Sign For Sale. Thus we hear a Car Park and Lara walks towards the Gate and says something like Home Sweet Home with the Game going Dark and we see the Credits.

Gitb97
2nd Jun 2015, 17:47
^ I think Croft Manor already exists, she just hasn't had the rights signed over

Error96_
2nd Jun 2015, 22:43
Either the abrupt silence was bad connection or someone didn't know how to respond ;) Very pleased that they thought about incorporating a home into this game whether it be the manor or not.

To have a home feature that wasn't the manor wouldn't seem quite the same for me. I really would the manor back.

chrisdaventry
3rd Jun 2015, 06:20
This is a Reboot People, the Classics and Lara's Fortune doesent matter nomore, heck her Parents are even Dead AGAIN !!!!

Driber
18th Jun 2015, 21:57
This is a Reboot People, the Classics and Lara's Fortune doesent matter nomore, heck her Parents are even Dead AGAIN !!!!

You're either being sarcastic, or you just voided your own argument by contradicting yourself about Lara's parents :p

d1n0_xD
18th Jun 2015, 22:40
So, she has a home (not the manor), and we'll get to explore it in the game, maybe? That's what I got from that set of answers xDa

a_big_house
18th Jun 2015, 22:42
^ She has the apartment in London and from the answers, I got that we'd see it in a cutscene :lol:

Relic_Runner
20th Jul 2015, 14:13
I don't know about this idea of an apartment. Is way more to get to explore the massive Manor and run through hedge mazes or find secret rooms and that sort of thing.

Valenka
20th Jul 2015, 15:54
I don't know about this idea of an apartment. Is way more to get to explore the massive Manor and run through hedge mazes or find secret rooms and that sort of thing.

Yes, but don't forget, this is a reboot and things are different now. There's a lot of contextual information that is easily missable if one hasn't been reading the comic books. It's even said by Roth that Lara has her fortune locked up so tight, she couldn't access it even if she wanted to.

I can't see Croft Manor making an appearance until perhaps the end of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

a_big_house
20th Jul 2015, 17:30
I can't see Croft Manor making an appearance until perhaps the end of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Or Lara's uncle kicks the bucket mysteriously :naughty:

Driber
20th Jul 2015, 20:23
Yes, but don't forget, this is a reboot and things are different now.

Correction - things may be different now. 'Reboot' != 'no mansion'.

There's a lot of contextual information that is easily missable if one hasn't been reading the comic books.

I don't really give a hoot about what happens in the comics. What happens in the games themselves is what I find important.

It's even said by Roth that Lara has her fortune locked up so tight, she couldn't access it even if she wanted to.

That was TR9. We're now talking about TR10 :whistle:

Why not in the beginning? Lara may need to stop by Croft manor to find some journal of her dad to take with her on her next adventure :naughty:

Chocolate_shake
21st Jul 2015, 02:41
I think with Sam getting in trouble and possibly going to jail in the comics and the concept art of Lara's apartment shows a lot of boxes and stuff , maybe Lara is planning to move out of her apartment .

When Lara visits her uncle in issue #13 to ask him to hand over the manor , he tells her to 'get professional help , then he'll consider ...' . And we know Lara does seek professional help in the E3 trailer . Also , in Syria , she has her father's recordings and she most probably got them from his study/office at the mansion .

So maybe , mayyyybeee , the stage is set for Lara to go back to the mansion .

Valenka
21st Jul 2015, 16:56
Correction - things may be different now. 'Reboot' != 'no mansion'.

Well, based on what we've seen so far, things are indeed different. For example, the topic of Lara's finances. It's already been established that she lives modestly and works as either a waitress or bartender at The Nine Bells, earning her living and not surrounding herself in the frivolous wealth her parents left behind.

Her mansion has not been mentioned as of yet, which could just as well suggest that it doesn't exist. Perhaps she will not have a mansion in this new series of adventures. Maybe she will. It's not much of a surprise why Crystal Dynamics told us to forget what we knew about the old Lara, because all we're really doing is making attempts to figure out what factors of the old series will be making a return, instead of taking it one day at a time. :p

I don't really give a hoot about what happens in the comics. What happens in the games themselves is what I find important.

That was TR9. We're now talking about TR10 :whistle:

Well, if they decide to incorporate elements and timelines from the comics' narrative into the games, that context would be pretty important. Last I checked, Rise of the Tomb Raider takes place after the events of the comics (http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/23/4548538/tomb-raider-comic-will-lead-directly-into-game-sequel) and therefore, makes them contextually relevant and canon to the story. I don't know about you, but I find that pretty important, especially if elements from the comic books are present in the story, including (but not limited to) the status of Lara's finances. :)

The comic books have not yet highlighted Lara getting access to her fortune, but perhaps in Rise of the Tomb Raider, she finally does and that's how she's able to finance the expedition to Russia/Siberia and Syria. Time will tell.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
21st Jul 2015, 20:07
Perhaps she will not have a mansion in this new series of adventures. Maybe she will. It's not much of a surprise why Crystal Dynamics told us to forget what we knew about the old Lara, because all we're really doing is making attempts to figure out what factors of the old series will be making a return, instead of taking it one day at a time. :p

Is sad to even hear the suggestion of no mansion. It clearly is very popular with the community and in my eye it simply HAS to come back but the only question is when. The comics did reference a big fortune and Roth gave some subtle in game about the Croft family being a well known name so is very likely they have a fortune including Manor. CD have everything to gain and nothing to lose by including it.

a_big_house
21st Jul 2015, 20:47
ChocShake has given the best answer possible at this moment :whistle:

Driber
21st Jul 2015, 21:20
Well, based on what we've seen so far, things are indeed different.

And many things are the same.

For example, the topic of Lara's finances. It's already been established that she lives modestly and works as either a waitress or bartender at The Nine Bells, earning her living and not surrounding herself in the frivolous wealth her parents left behind.

Before TR9 she did, yes. But again, we're talking about future TR games. Also, what Chocolate_shake said (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=140044&p=2139637#post2139637) :whistle:

Her mansion has not been mentioned as of yet, which could just as well suggest that it doesn't exist.

No, you're wrong. Croft manor was already confirmed to exist in the reboot universe.

Perhaps she will not have a mansion in this new series of adventures. Maybe she will. It's not much of a surprise why Crystal Dynamics told us to forget what we knew about the old Lara, because all we're really doing is making attempts to figure out what factors of the old series will be making a return, instead of taking it one day at a time. :p

The fact that fans are still talking about things from the older games clearly tells us that "forget everything you know" was a silly and completely unrealistic thing of Kral to say :D

Well, if they decide to incorporate elements and timelines from the comics' narrative into the games, that context would be pretty important.

Not to me. If comic stuff spills over into an actual game, only then I'll take it as important. Apart from that, whatever happens in the comics is just filler.

Last I checked, Rise of the Tomb Raider takes place after the events of the comics (http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/23/4548538/tomb-raider-comic-will-lead-directly-into-game-sequel) and therefore, makes them contextually relevant and canon to the story. I don't know about you, but I find that pretty important, especially if elements from the comic books are present in the story, including (but not limited to) the status of Lara's finances. :)

If we'll see Croft manor back in a future game, that's pretty much all I care about. The little details on how Lara acquired her manor might get covered in the comics instead of the game, and in that case I might show a slight interest in the backstory, but that'll be just a side-thing for me, really. Like I said, what goes on in the actual games is what I consider to be "important".

The comic books have not yet highlighted Lara getting access to her fortune, but perhaps in Rise of the Tomb Raider, she finally does and that's how she's able to finance the expedition to Russia/Siberia and Syria. Time will tell.

Yep, time will tell :)

WinterSoldierLTE
22nd Jul 2015, 00:07
Not to me. If comic stuff spills over into an actual game, only then I'll take it as important. Apart from that, whatever happens in the comics is just filler.

I gotta agree with this. The comics are cool and all, but as far as I'm concerned the official 100% accurate timeline and series of events is in the games. And I don't care what it said in it's introduction, that includes "The 10k Immortals".

Valenka
22nd Jul 2015, 17:33
Is sad to even hear the suggestion of no mansion. It clearly is very popular with the community and in my eye it simply HAS to come back but the only question is when. The comics did reference a big fortune and Roth gave some subtle in game about the Croft family being a well known name so is very likely they have a fortune including Manor. CD have everything to gain and nothing to lose by including it.

Yes, I did mention in my last post that Roth referenced the Croft fortune, but did not specifically mention the mansion. I mean, of course, it's safe to assume the manor is included since it is an integral part of the Croft wealth. However, for the sake of fact-sharing, I'm only going by what was said, not implied. :)

But I agree, it would be silly for Croft Manor to not be included.

No, you're wrong. Croft manor was already confirmed to exist in the reboot universe.

Care to share? :) I can't recall hearing about Croft Manor in TR2013 or in any of the comic books. Unless, of course, you mean it was confirmed by Crystal Dynamics, then that's different. I'm talking about what we've seen or heard contextually; not what the developers have confirmed or denied, but what we've actually heard or seen for ourselves in the games or comics. :)

ot to me. If comic stuff spills over into an actual game, only then I'll take it as important. Apart from that, whatever happens in the comics is just filler.

Well, considering that Rise of the Tomb Raider takes place after the comic series (and a lot of stuff happens during that time) I'm sure some comic canon will be present in ROTTR, even if only in a passing mention. Yes, it may just be filler content, but it's perfectly canon to the series. The plus side is that you needn't keep up with the comics to understand the events of the games. Not everyone wants to read the comics or spend x amount of money on them. :p

I can't see Croft Manor not returning to the series, it's just a matter of when. Considering that the comics are contextually relevant and canon and that a LOT of stuff happens in between TR2013 and ROTTR, taking that into consideration, ROTTR may be the perfect time to reintroduce Croft Manor. Conversely, ignoring the comic books, we're only two games in and based on TR2013, we wouldn't know much about Lara's wealth. Going by what's said in TR2013, Sam Nishimura is the wealthy one. It might seem a little out of the ordinary in that sense to just erect Croft Manor and be like, "Oh by the way, yeah Lara's rich." Her financial status was never really touched on in TR2013. So if they choose to include Croft Manor in ROTTR, for the sake of the narrative, they're going to have to give a little backstory or in-dialogue explanation of how she suddenly acquired the mansion.

I don't know, really. Driber, do you have any working theories?

Driber
22nd Jul 2015, 21:34
Care to share? :) I can't recall hearing about Croft Manor in TR2013 or in any of the comic books.

Here you go :)

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=141355&p=2079010&highlight=manor#post2079010

Yes, it may just be filler content, but it's perfectly canon to the series.

Well just because filler content happens to be consistent with official lore doesn't necessarily make it important to me. Anyone could write a half descent (short) story, get CD's seal of approval, and publish it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna take every comic, every novel and every piece of dev-sanctioned quasi-fanfic as if we just received an actual TR game. No disrespect to comics, novels and fanfics :p

The plus side is that you needn't keep up with the comics to understand the events of the games. Not everyone wants to read the comics or spend x amount of money on them. :p

Which is exactly why I don't think they are important :lol:

I can't see Croft Manor not returning to the series, it's just a matter of when.

I certainly do hope so :)

Considering that the comics are contextually relevant and canon and that a LOT of stuff happens in between TR2013 and ROTTR, taking that into consideration, ROTTR may be the perfect time to reintroduce Croft Manor.

A LOT of unimportant filler stuff happens. Contextually relevant, perhaps, but mostly unimportant from what I can see.

Conversely, ignoring the comic books, we're only two games in and based on TR2013, we wouldn't know much about Lara's wealth. Going by what's said in TR2013, Sam Nishimura is the wealthy one. It might seem a little out of the ordinary in that sense to just erect Croft Manor and be like, "Oh by the way, yeah Lara's rich." Her financial status was never really touched on in TR2013. So if they choose to include Croft Manor in ROTTR, for the sake of the narrative, they're going to have to give a little backstory or in-dialogue explanation of how she suddenly acquired the mansion.

Trust me, the vast majority of players aren't going to care about those little details. Sure, it would be nice to have a bit of nice fitting backstory together with the re-introduction of Croft manor in the games, but apart from the bigots not many folks are going to make a big stink about it.

I don't know, really. Driber, do you have any working theories?

As for how Croft manor could be re-introduced you mean? Sure. One scenario could be that Croft manor is still currently the property of Lara's family and that she has to visiting the manor in TR10/TR11 because there's a secret journal Lara's father kept, in which he wrote details about some ancient lost city. The player gets to go through many rooms in Croft manor on a mission to look for the secret journal. Once Lara finds the journal, a cinematic kicks in where Lara reads from the journal, followed by a jump-cut to Lara on a ship, sailing towards the area where the ancient lost city is supposed to be.

:)

Valenka
22nd Jul 2015, 23:02
Here you go :)

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=141355&p=2079010&highlight=manor#post2079010

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that, but good to know it's present! :D

As for how Croft manor could be re-introduced you mean? Sure. One scenario could be that Croft manor is still currently the property of Lara's family and that she has to visiting the manor in TR10/TR11 because there's a secret journal Lara's father kept, in which he wrote details about some ancient lost city. The player gets to go through many rooms in Croft manor on a mission to look for the secret journal. Once Lara finds the journal, a cinematic kicks in where Lara reads from the journal, followed by a jump-cut to Lara on a ship, sailing towards the area where the ancient lost city is supposed to be.

:)

Not a bad idea at all. On the topic of the journal, she did have a journal at the end of TR2013 (where it came from, I don't know) and perhaps she'd need to go through her father's study at Croft Manor to find more information surrounding the mentioning of Kitezh in the journal.

Tecstar70
14th Dec 2015, 10:11
ZE96Kzqu1ok

mechmouse
30th Jan 2016, 17:38
One of the things I thoroughly enjoyed in the earlier games (pre-reboot) was exploring Lara's home.

Whether it was locking Winston in the Fridge or diving in her basement aquarium to find her missing quad bike keys, its always been an enjoyable side line.

I hope that the developers are moving Lara's story to the point where she is no longer a survivor but is the Tomb Raider. As much as I enjoy resource gathering and crafting, I feel it will get in the way of the pure jet setting tomb raiding experience.

So when we get there, I'd like to explorer her house again.

Relic_Runner
5th Feb 2016, 15:11
Croft Manor was the best especially in TR2, TR3 and TRA when there were lots of puzzles, secret rooms to uncover and hedge mazes. It could do with some part of the game to chill out in and would like it back.

Charlie_T_Raider
6th Feb 2016, 11:54
Croft manor is just brilliant and can't come back soon enough for me.

NeatDekman
13th Feb 2016, 20:39
Totally agree, i just posted a thread on lack of puzzles. Tomb raider has lost the things that made it great.

Puzzles and solving problems are no longer a feature, too much emphasis on graphics. The adventure has ended...

Steel_Wing
15th Feb 2016, 18:53
I have already said it many times but Croft Manor is brilliant and has to come back as explorable soon.

Pittsburgh1
10th Apr 2016, 03:32
Regarding the Croft Manor thing. I understand how some want to keep it.

But it's original intent in the first game way back in 1996 was to allow Lara to practice the various things she was going to do in the game as she was new, the game was new, and the concept was new.

The new games are like a new adventure where she doesn't know anything and you learn as you go. Even with the key commands on a list it takes a while to learn and get good at the new ones, hence the death scenes that are included. Croft Manor in the original was great, now it seems just a house to include in the game. Unless there is a shooting range, and climbing walls, pits, etc. which I'd rather not see. More adventure if you are learning as you go.

Metalrocks
10th Apr 2016, 07:48

But it's original intent in the first game way back in 1996 was to allow Lara to practice the various things she was going to do in the game as she was new, the game was new, and the concept was new.

The new games are like a new adventure where she doesn't know anything and you learn as you go. Even with the key commands on a list it takes a while to learn and get good at the new ones, hence the death scenes that are included. Croft Manor in the original was great, now it seems just a house to include in the game. Unless there is a shooting range, and climbing walls, pits, etc. which I'd rather not see. More adventure if you are learning as you go.

in the LAU titles and even the in the older ones, the game also taught us during laras adventures what to do. the first mission was always the tutorial. the manor in the older ones just gave you all of them at once what lara can do in the game, wile in the LAU titles; no explanation what so ever.
the reason i like it, is because there is no connection to the main plot and it has its own puzzles to be solved. and most of all: no enemies. just lara and puzzles. you could say it would be like the very first resident evil game without any zombies.
the puzzles alone are creative. especially in anniversary i think the puzzles are at times hard. wondering around until you find the right object. at times even solve a puzzle to get that object to solve that other puzzle.
also the idea that its a home and you can mess around with it without any consequences like fixing the damages.

Driber
10th Apr 2016, 10:34
@metal: *ones and *taught :)

Your argument would only make sense if we were talking about TR9, in which Lara knew nothing and had to learn how to use weapons and other gadgets on the spot. It worked well within that context of that game to not have Lara's manor with a gym. However, now that Lara is already experienced with a wide range of weapons, climbing axes, rope, and even the good old classic grapple hook, there is no excuse to not include the manor in a new game any more.

From this point forward, it makes perfect sense for Lara to have a place where she can practice her skills while not on a mission. In fact, to argue the opposite would be unrealistic. You don't make new Lara re-learn every skill that she's already learned in previous games of the same timeline if one cares about consistency. New Lara doesn't just get thrown into adventure as happened in TR9; she is now clever enough to thoroughly prepare herself for whatever mission she embarks on next. And one way to do this is to have a big gym in the manor where she can practice and perfect all her skills, so that she's ready for whatever crazy baddies and terrain she knows she's going to face on her next adventure.

So yes, bring on Croft manor! :D

Metalrocks
10th Apr 2016, 12:39
@metal: *ones and *taught :)

thanks. didnt even see i wrote "taught" wrong. my dyslexia never disappoints me.

the only thing i always get wrong is the "ones and once". i always mix them up. never can really tell when to use them. regardless how many times i read about the differences. :mad2: