PDA

View Full Version : Is Deus Ex: HR a rebooot of the IP?

EliParker
19th Jun 2013, 20:51
I'm asking anyone that might know or just want to create dialog about it, is Deus Ex: Human Revolution a reboot of the Deus Ex IP?

To me I called Deus Ex: HR a Reboot/Prequel meaning if Deus Ex: HR sold well and was received well (by the fanbase) then Deus Ex is rebooted. If not then Deus Ex: HR would be a prequel and a send off for the IP and its fanbase.

Giving that I think Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War is in a different timeline, but the current timeline can reuse plot points. So what does everyone else think?

-ELP

Jerion
19th Jun 2013, 20:54
DX:HR is not exactly a reboot, it's more of a Preboot. It's a prequel and thus retcons certain early parts of the timeline (particularly the 2020s), but it's designed (at least from a lore perspective) to fit with the original game timelines for the decades in which those games took place.

EliParker
19th Jun 2013, 20:59
DX:HR is not exactly a reboot, it's more of a Preboot. It's a prequel and thus retcons certain early parts of the timeline (particularly the 2020s), but it's designed (at least from a lore perspective) to fit with the original game timelines for the decades in which those games took place.

Thank you for a reply, I understand that retcons are a big part of comics, and other long running Ips, but I was never a big fan of it. I personally think that reboots allows more freedom within a story and it isn't hampered by past events or stories.