PDA

View Full Version : We PLAYED Deus Ex: The Fall at E3 – Ask us anything!

b1skit
15th Jun 2013, 17:05
Hi all!

As some of you may already know, last week Eidos-Montreal invited a group of community attendees from around the world to join us at E3 2013.

Generally, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) is restricted to members of the game industry and media. However, it was important to everybody at Eidos-Montreal that it wasn't just members of the game industry elite who got to have all the fun, we wanted our most dedicated, hardworking community members to be able to meet the team and spend some time with us - and most importantly, be among the very first in the world to get their hands on controls and actually PLAY the game!

These guys got full access to Deus Ex: The Fall - including interview slots with key members of the core development team, behind the scenes access plus double the hands on gameplay time that was allocated to anybody else who saw the game. We took special care to ensure that these guys got to experience everything we had to share, to ensure they would be fully equipped to answer any questions that you might have on what the world has seen so far of the game.

Now, the gang is back from the show and they’ll be visiting this thread daily to answer any questions you have about what they saw of Deus Ex: The Fall and their experience at E3. As the thread title suggest, as them anything!

Please keep this thread on topic with your questions about Deus Ex: The Fall and the E3 experience. Any off topic posts will be merged or deleted as necessary to ensure that the information contained in this thread is easily readable accessible to all.

I've also created mirrored threads for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1927206#post1927206) and Thief (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1927203#post1927203)- Check them out!

Our community attendees for E3 2013 were:

John (USA)
Forum Handle: Jerion http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=95395

Lucy (UK)
Forum Handle: Spyhopping http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=92302

Nate (USA)
Forum Handle: Master Taffer http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=124691

Andrew (UK)
Forum Handle: Ashpolt http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=113585

Sergey (RU)
Forum Handle: Acid Burn http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=92350

We’ll maintain this thread, and keep a summary of your questions and answers combined in the following post. So let’s get to it – ask them anything!

b1skit
15th Jun 2013, 17:05
Questions Answered So Far:

Did DX:TF feel like a DX game or a tacked on budget offering? I've read that there is no jump button so does this detract from the gameplay?

Jerion:

Deus Ex: The Fall is a tangent game. It is not the future of the core of the series. It is designed to bring the core of Human Revolution's gameplay and an expansion of the universe lore to the iPad while providing an additional avenue to expose new fans to the series- and it does this with surprisingly strong execution. What it is not is a sequel to Human Revolution; That game has yet to make an appearance. No, this is something altogether different, and should be evaluated accordingly. As for the lack of jump button, it doesn't impact things in a substantial way. Between the controls being simplified a bit for the touch interface and the level design taking this into account, it is a considered removal. There is a vaulting button which allows for jump-like behavior where contextually reasonable.

Ashpolt:

The level we played was clearly designed with the fact that the game doesn't have a jump button in mind, so I didn't find myself missing it that much - I didn't need to jump, so I didn't want to jump - and it's pretty safe to assume the rest of the game will be the same. It's an obvious concession to the touch screen control system, but not a killer.

The Deus Ex core fanbase feels left out with DX:TF being strictly a tablet/mobile offering. One needs only to look at the official Deus Ex page on Facebook to see this. Gamers and fans have a penchant to overreact, of course, but there's definitely a desire to see The Fall get released on PC and proper consoles. I myself, having read and enjoyed the Icarus Effect novel, would like to play The Fall on my PC, since I don't own a tablet and have no intention to.

Is The Fall going to be strictly a tablet offering, or will it also be (eventually) available on PC and consoles?

How linear is the game? Are there still multiple paths? Is it still possible to play nonlethally? Are the controls serviceable?

These questions are really for the devs, but:

Will you consider adding controller support with the new API in iOS 7? Or will you consider porting it to PC/Mac? I'm nervous about the controls. FPS games on touch are pretty much universally bad.

Jerion:

I personally can't speak about future platform support. Right now they're just targeting iOS, with Android to follow. Other platforms will come later.

The controls are serviceable, it feels as though they really crammed as much as they could into the touch screen without doing a shoddy job (even so, it's only just serviceable in some respects). It's perfectly possible to play non-lethally and multi-path is very much present.

Ashpolt:

"Serviceable" is definitely the word. To their credit, they've done pretty much everything they can to make the game as comfortable to play on a touch screen as possible, but there are obviously some difficulties, and I would be lying if I said that awkwardness didn't cause a few deaths on my playthrough (shut up it was totally the controls shut up.) It's as comfortable as any free-movement first person game on a touch screen is likely to be.

As for the rest: we only got to play a single level, so it's impossible to know how linear the game will be, but I'd guess it'll be almost exactly the same as HR in that regards. The level we played was also a tutorial, so there weren't really many alternate path options, though we did see a playthrough of a city hub which was obviously more open.

Deus Ex: Autumn + misc. questions:

I) No grid-based inventory? What system replaces it? Your thought's on this system?

II) What improvements do you believe there to be over Human Revolution, if any?

III) Were the devs happy with this "art" (game) they have made? Do they sincerely believe it to be worthy to the Deus Ex franchise? Do YOU?

IV) What locations do you visit in Deus Ex: Autumn?

V) Why should I, as a long-time gamer and huge Deus Ex fan, buy this game? I'd like the devs to try and convince me.

VI) Is the soundtrack a copy n paste job from HR much like everything else except the story appears to be?

VII) What do EM predict as their future as a studio? Wherever the cash is? So if Deus Ex: Autumn is a huge hit the mobile market is where they will primarily take the Deus Ex franchise? And what if Deus Ex: Autumn fails? What then?

Jerion:

1) The inventory is a step backwards in gameplay complexity for the sake of how one uses a tablet. I understand the reasoning to an extent, though it disappoints me as somebody who enjoys the depth of inventory tetris. Essentially, a person can use in-game credits to purchase anything from a cocktail to a crossbow at (what would appear to be) any time for use in a quick-access tool-belt. This is done so that people that pull out the tablet for a short gaming session here and there don't have to spend time with inventory management and the merchant side of things. If you insist on reducing this to a petty/pithy term, “tabletisation” might be a good one.

2) Improvements? Huh. It’s more an exercise in moving HR’s gameplay down to a tablet with minimum reasonable reduction than in iteration and polish. I wouldn’t say it is directly comparable in that sense.

3) As I said above, this is a tangent game, possibly almost an experiment, not a core DX game. Understood within this context they are happy with it. Myself, I don’t think it is a ‘core’ DX game. From a lore perspective it seems worthwhile.

4) Panama as a city hub, for starters.

5) I am not a developer on this game. As a fellow fan, this game is only worth buying if you a) have an iPad (or in the future, another supported platform) and b) want to explore more of the DX lore for yourself. To be fair, that’s basically all the studio was ever expecting of the audience for this game.

6) The soundtrack is expanded for this game, so it is not a copy and paste. Michael McCann has returned.

7) EM is looking to build solid, rich games- and they’re perfectly happy making AAA releases like Human Revolution and Thief. The Fall is a much smaller side project for the studio. Whether or not they decide to pursue more tablet games is something only time will tell.

Ashpolt:

(In response to CyperP's second question): I actually asked this question almost verbatim in the interview with JFD and James Wright (to be uploaded soon) and the answer I got, as Jerion said, is that this is more of an translation of Human Revolution's mechanics to a new platform, rather than a "step up." I guess if you're looking for improvements though, you can play this easily on a bus, whereas HR you can't!

(In response to CyberP's fourth question): We actually saw what I assume is the complete level list, and it's pretty lengthy. Sadly, like a fool I forgot to photograph / remember them, but would you really want a spoiler like that anyway? What I can say happily though is that it isn't all action, and there are city hubs as well as "mission areas", same as DXHR.

(In response to CyberP's seventh question): This is EM's attempt to provide an entry point to Deus Ex for new fans: if they play and love this, hopefully they'll pick up the other games and start to love them as much as we do. That's why it's not a new IP: they're hoping The Fall will draw a new crowd to HR.

As for the future of the studio and the franchise, as Jerion said, this isn't it. They wouldn't tell us exactly what's in the works, but suffice to say Deus Ex is not now tablet exclusive: the franchise will be back on PC and "proper" consoles at some point.

Are there new augs or weapons on DX: The Fall?
Those that didnt read the "Icarus Effect" book will be able to fully enjoy the story, or it requires some understanding of the book's plot?
Got to any boss fights? How do they work?
Personal Question: The hacking minigame plays better on the tablet or the computer?

Those are alex's questions

Jerion:

The aug options have changed, with some removed and some new ones added. The game recaps Icarus Effect a bit, but doesn't waste time getting the player up to speed. I suspect that you'll get more out of it if you've read the book but it should stand on its own. Boss fights are not present in The Fall; they don't think it would fit with the nature of the game. The hacking game is practically tailor-made for the tablet. It works. Works better on an iPad than on the Wii U's touchscreen for the Director's Cut, actually.

Ashpolt:

-There's at least one new aug, not sure about new weapons though.
-The Fall will fill you in on all you need to know about TIE: this is intended as an entry point to the series, so they're not going to require you to have read a tie in novel to a previous game!
-No boss fights. I'm pretty much fine with this.
-The hacking minigame feels like it was tailor made for touch screen. I could happily play a game that was just this, to be honest!

Did you get to try it on the iPhone/iPod touch? I imagine it's even worse on that...

Jerion:

They only had iPads set up at E3, so no. I wouldn't want to touch it on anything smaller than an iPad Mini either though.

I'm a fan of DXHR, The Icarus Effect, and iPad gaming so I'm looking forward to this.

1) How does Ben's need for neuropozyne play out in game? Does he need regular doses, or in response to using his augs? What happens if he runs out?
2) Did you meet Anna Kelso in your play of the game / do you know if she will be in it much?
3) Do you know anything about the timeline of when The Fall takes place, or the basic story premise?
4) Do you know if we will still have dialog battles? I really enjoyed those in DXHR.

Jerion:

1) We didn't get a real look at this, but it would seem to be at least a factor in the story.
2) Don't know. It has been hinted at that she was in the story though.
3) This takes place following Icarus Effect. How much after Icarus Effect is still unclear.
4) Edit - I'm actually double-checking my notes on this. Check back.

Ashpolt:

(On Anna Kelso's presence): Given that she's in the promo art (http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-mobile-game-Android-640x384.png) I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that she's in the game!

Spyhopping:

1) This part intrigued me because I'm very interested in where the story goes, and I really liked the idea of exploring the biological effects of mech augmentation. It does effect him, and you can remedy it- there's legit solutions and the black market.
2) I believe we saw an infolink communication from her at one point. Also, Ashpolt's above point about the promo art.
3) Similar response as Jerion.
4) I don't think that we do in The Fall, but I'll double check notes/recordings. The guys pulled this together in an impressive amount of time, and just one dialogue battle in HR would take months to put together. They were very complex.

New question, about The Fall:
-Did you get to talk to James Swallow about - or hear anything about - his involvement with The Fall? Since it directly follows the story in his novel and all...

Ashpolt:

James Swallow wasn't at E3 this year sadly - however, he asked me about my opinion on The Fall on twitter, which somewhat suggests that he was involved in it. Pretty anecdotal evidence though, I'm afraid!

James Swallow:

Like Ashpolt says, I wasn't at E3 this year...

Forgive me if it's been mentioned already, but what does 'The Fall' signify?

I think we'd got our hopes up for a big sequel that bridges the gap between HR and the original setting, but yeah. I'm guessing this takes place before/during HR. So what 'falls'?

Ashpolt:

You know what? That's a damn good question. Didn't even think of asking that. Could be the fall of the Tyrants, I guess, though that happened in DXHR really - the ones we knew about fell, at least. Possibly the fall of Belltower? Seems a bit of a dramatic title for the demise of such a small company though. On the other hand, it could be the fall of the Illuminati at the hands of Majestic 12, but a) I doubt they'd cover such an important event as that in a side game, and b) in-universe that shouldn't happen for another few years, though EM's series isn't 100% accurate to the older games so it's possible.

So, in summary: not a clue. But damn good question.

Spyhopping:

I feel like I should know this. Maybe it has something to do with the Icarus myth.

B1skit:

"The Fall" is symbolic to Ben Saxon's journey in the game, it references him falling away from being a Tyrant, as is depicted in the title sequence of the game.

One of the "minor" things I liked about DX:HR is the music, the themes associated with each geographic area or mission. I really noticed this in my recent play-through. How was the music (and sound, in general), compared to DX:HR?

Jerion:

There's new music made for The Fall, but it's by the same fellow. Definitely new material, but of comparable quality and of very similar atmosphere. It's like an extension of the DX:HR soundtrack.

------

Keep the questions coming! We're here to answer them.

HERESY
15th Jun 2013, 17:13
Did DX:TF feel like a DX game or a tacked on budget offering? I've read that there is no jump button so does this detract from the gameplay?

Jerion
15th Jun 2013, 17:27

Deus Ex: The Fall is a tangent game. It is not the future of the core of the series. It is designed to bring the core of Human Revolution's gameplay and an expansion of the universe lore to the iPad while providing an additional avenue to expose new fans to the series- and it does this with surprisingly strong execution. What it is not is a sequel to Human Revolution; That game has yet to make an appearance. No, this is something altogether different, and should be evaluated accordingly. As for the lack of jump button, it doesn't impact things in a substantial way. Between the controls being simplified a bit for the touch interface and the level design taking this into account, it is a considered removal. There is a vaulting button which allows for jump-like behavior where contextually reasonable.

HERESY
15th Jun 2013, 17:37

Thanks, I appreciate this. When it was announced I looked at it as a positive steps towards taking the franchise into the realm of transmedia and sounds as if I was correct.

Can you outline some of the newer things players will see when they get their hands on this? Also, is the story a linear experience or can it change depending on the choices you make?

MartyChang
15th Jun 2013, 17:52
The Deus Ex core fanbase feels left out with DX:TF being strictly a tablet/mobile offering. One needs only to look at the official Deus Ex page on Facebook to see this. Gamers and fans have a penchant to overreact, of course, but there's definitely a desire to see The Fall get released on PC and proper consoles. I myself, having read and enjoyed the Icarus Effect novel, would like to play The Fall on my PC, since I don't own a tablet and have no intention to.

Is The Fall going to be strictly a tablet offering, or will it also be (eventually) available on PC and consoles?

CyberP
15th Jun 2013, 17:55
As for the lack of jump button, it doesn't impact things in a substantial way

Right, a base mechanic that is vital to exploration (secret areas, verticality, versatility), combat/stealth (how you traverse enemy territory during tense moments), and overall freedom "doesn't impact things in a substantial way".

How much they paying you, Jerion? ....I'm joking, you're entitled to that opinion.

I) No grid-based inventory? What system replaces it? Your thought's on this system?

III) Were the devs happy with this "art" (game) they have made? Do they sincerely believe it to be worthy to the Deus Ex franchise? Do YOU?

V) Why should I, as a long-time gamer and huge Deus Ex fan, buy this game? I'd like the devs to try and convince me.

VI) Is the soundtrack a copy n paste job from HR much like everything else except the story appears to be?

VII) What do EM predict as their future as a studio? Wherever the cash is? So if Deus Ex: Autumn is a huge hit the mobile market is where they will primarily take the Deus Ex franchise? And what if Deus Ex: Autumn fails? What then?
Why not just make a new IP to abuse, not Deus Ex.

FuzzyPuffin
15th Jun 2013, 17:56
How linear is the game? Are there still multiple paths? Is it still possible to play nonlethally? Are the controls serviceable?

Will you consider adding controller support with the new API in iOS 7? Or will you consider porting it to PC/Mac? I'm nervous about the controls. FPS games on touch are pretty much universally bad.

Jerion
15th Jun 2013, 18:25

I personally can't speak about future platform support. Right now they're just targeting iOS, with Android to follow. Other platforms will come later.

The controls are serviceable, it feels as though they really crammed as much as they could into the touch screen without doing a shoddy job (even so, it's only just serviceable in some respects). It's perfectly possible to play non-lethally and multi-path is very much present.

Right, a base mechanic that is vital to exploration (secret areas, verticality, versatility), combat/stealth (how you traverse enemy territory during tense moments), and overall freedom "doesn't impact things in a substantial way".

How much they paying you, Jerion? I'm joking, you're entitled to that opinion.

Between vaulting, stairs, ladders and the level design, there's nowhere you can't go that you could go with jumping. It's a bit odd, but serviceable. It's a limitation of the control scheme(s); a person would need three thumbs to mimic jumping on an iPad as it can be done on a Mouse+KB or controller.

1) The inventory is a step backwards in gameplay complexity for the sake of how one uses a tablet. I understand the reasoning to an extent, though it disappoints me as somebody who enjoys the depth of inventory tetris. Essentially, a person can use in-game credits to purchase anything from a cocktail to a crossbow at (what would appear to be) any time for use in a quick-access tool-belt. This is done so that people that pull out the tablet for a short gaming session here and there don't have to spend time with inventory management and the merchant side of things. If you insist on reducing this to a petty/pithy term, “tabletisation” might be a good one.

2) Improvements? Huh. It’s more an exercise in moving HR’s gameplay down to a tablet with minimum reasonable reduction than in iteration and polish. I wouldn’t say it is directly comparable in that sense.

3) As I said above, this is a tangent game, possibly almost an experiment, not a core DX game. Understood within this context they are happy with it. Myself, I don’t think it is a ‘core’ DX game. From a lore perspective it seems worthwhile.

5) I am not a developer on this game. As a fellow fan, this game is only worth buying if you a) have an iPad (or in the future, another supported platform) and b) want to explore more of the DX lore for yourself. To be fair, that’s basically all the studio was ever expecting of the audience for this game.

6) The soundtrack is expanded for this game, so it is not a copy and paste. Michael McCann has returned.

7) EM is looking to build solid, rich games- and they’re perfectly happy making AAA releases like Human Revolution and Thief. The Fall is a much smaller side project for the studio. Whether or not they decide to pursue more tablet games is something only time will tell.

CyberP
15th Jun 2013, 18:39
I personally can't speak about future platform support. Right now they're just targeting iOS. Other platforms will come later.

Between vaulting, stairs, ladders and the level design, there's nowhere you can't go that you couldn't go with jumping. It's a bit odd, but serviceable. It's a limitation of the control scheme(s); a person would need three thumbs to mimic jumping on an iPad as it can be done on a Mouse+KB or controller.

1) The inventory is a step backwards in gameplay complexity for the sake of how one uses a tablet. I understand the reasoning to an extent, though it disappoints me as somebody who enjoys the challenge of inventory tetris. Essentially, a person can use in-game credits to purchase anything from a cocktail to a crossbow at (what would appear to be) any time for use in a quick-access tool-belt. This is done so that people that pull out the tablet for a short gaming session here and there and don't have to spend time with inventory management and the merchant side of things. If you insist on reducing this to a pithy term, “tabletisation” might be a good one.

I have a lot to say, but it's not worth it. They have tainted their own art, as well as Ion Storm's. If it funds a true masterpiece next time around then that is the only positive outcome of this treachery I can possibly foresee....that is if they even have what it takes to develop a "true masterpiece", a true masterpiece being highly subjective but I believe they can do better than this and Human Revolution if they cared for it. It's clear they do not unfortunately.

Jerion
15th Jun 2013, 19:19
Okay. Thanks for sharing. Anyone else have questions? I'm here, Master Taffer is here, Spyhopping and Ashpolt will be here soon!

AlexOfSpades
15th Jun 2013, 19:38
Those that didnt read the "Icarus Effect" book will be able to fully enjoy the story, or it requires some understanding of the book's plot?
Personal Question: The hacking minigame plays better on the tablet or the computer?

Jerion
15th Jun 2013, 19:45

Sure!

The aug options have changed, with some removed and some new ones added. The game recaps Icarus Effect a bit, but doesn't waste time getting the player up to speed. I suspect that you'll get more out of it if you've read the book but it should stand on its own. Boss fights are not present in The Fall; they don't think it would fit with the nature of the game. The hacking game is practically tailor-made for the tablet. It works. Works better on an iPad than on the Wii U's touchscreen for the Director's Cut, actually.

MasterTaffer
15th Jun 2013, 22:56
Also, on the aug side of things it's worth noting that Ben is not Adam and he does require neuropozyne.

Ashpolt
15th Jun 2013, 23:16
Just jumping in with a few different takes on some questions Jerion's already answered, as well as an entirely unasked-for overall personal opinion:

The level we played was clearly designed with the fact that the game doesn't have a jump button in mind, so I didn't find myself missing it that much - I didn't need to jump, so I didn't want to jump - and it's pretty safe to assume the rest of the game will be the same. It's an obvious concession to the touch screen control system, but not a killer.

I actually asked this question almost verbatim in the interview with JFD and James Wright (to be uploaded soon) and the answer I got, as Jerion said, is that this is more of an translation of Human Revolution's mechanics to a new platform, rather than a "step up." I guess if you're looking for improvements though, you can play this easily on a bus, whereas HR you can't!

We actually saw what I assume is the complete level list, and it's pretty lengthy. Sadly, like a fool I forgot to photograph / remember them, but would you really want a spoiler like that anyway? What I can say happily though is that it isn't all action, and there are city hubs as well as "mission areas", same as DXHR.

VII) What do EM predict as their future as a studio? Wherever the cash is? So if Deus Ex: Autumn is a huge hit the mobile market is where they will primarily take the Deus Ex franchise? And what if Deus Ex: Autumn fails? What then? Why not just make a new IP to abuse, not Deus Ex.

This is EM's attempt to provide an entry point to Deus Ex for new fans: if they play and love this, hopefully they'll pick up the other games and start to love them as much as we do. That's why it's not a new IP: they're hoping The Fall will draw a new crowd to HR.

As for the future of the studio and the franchise, as Jerion said, this isn't it. They wouldn't tell us exactly what's in the works, but suffice to say Deus Ex is not now tablet exclusive: the franchise will be back on PC and "proper" consoles at some point.

"Serviceable" is definitely the word. To their credit, they've done pretty much everything they can to make the game as comfortable to play on a touch screen as possible, but there are obviously some difficulties, and I would be lying if I said that awkwardness didn't cause a few deaths on my playthrough (shut up it was totally the controls shut up.) It's as comfortable as any free-movement first person game on a touch screen is likely to be.

As for the rest: we only got to play a single level, so it's impossible to know how linear the game will be, but I'd guess it'll be almost exactly the same as HR in that regards. The level we played was also a tutorial, so there weren't really many alternate path options, though we did see a playthrough of a city hub which was obviously more open.

It's absolutely still possible to play nonlethally though: more so than HR in fact, given that there are no bosses to worry about!

-There's at least one new aug, not sure about new weapons though.
-The Fall will fill you in on all you need to know about TIE: this is intended as an entry point to the series, so they're not going to require you to have read a tie in novel to a previous game!
-No boss fights. I'm pretty much fine with this.
-The hacking minigame feels like it was tailor made for touch screen. I could happily play a game that was just this, to be honest!

-----

OK, unrequested personal opinion time: The Fall is clearly not just a cheap cash-in, they've obviously gone to a lot of effort to get as much of the DXHR experience into the game as possible, and there are surprisingly few compromises on the design (though there's one worth mentioning while I think about it: bodies now disappear shortly after death / knockout, presumably for memory reasons.) From a design philosophy standpoint, this is 95% as strong as Human Revolution, and the execution from a technical perspective is laudable. Personally, though, I still felt that it's like watching 2001: A Space Odyssey on your mobile phone: sure, you can do it, but even if it's the best damn possible mobile version of 2001, it's still not the ideal way to experience it. Those coming into the game with The Fall will find a lot to love, and those who are happy and comfortable with relatively complex touchscreen controls will enjoy it. It really is a stunning attempt at bring Deus Ex to a portable platform, and everyone working on it should be proud of how much they've translated intact, but whether it's something I personally will want to play for 6-7 hours is another question.

FuzzyPuffin
15th Jun 2013, 23:28

Did you get to try it on the iPhone/iPod touch? I imagine it's even worse on that...

Jerion
15th Jun 2013, 23:36

They only had iPads set up at E3, so no. I wouldn't want to touch it on anything smaller than an iPad Mini either though.

CyberP
16th Jun 2013, 00:03

There is always need for a jump button in a first person game. No matter what. This aint Mass Effect? Couldn't you have an icon on the right of the screen dedicated for jumping? I don't care for the excuses really. Sure things have to be sacrificed but only because they chose those limited platforms to begin with.

I guess if you're looking for improvements though, you can play this easily on a bus, whereas HR you can't!

You can play all Deus Ex's on a bus with a laptop and a joypad/console pad plugged in ;)

but would you really want a spoiler like that anyway?

There is not much that could be possibly spoiled. Anything interesting or positive about the game is needed right now.

OK, unrequested personal opinion time: The Fall is clearly not just a cheap cash-in

Lol.

(though there's one worth mentioning while I think about it: bodies now disappear shortly after death / knockout, presumably for memory reasons.) LOL.

From a design philosophy standpoint, this is 95% as strong as Human Revolution
That doesn't say much about Human Revolution then does it. HR deserves better than that tbh.

Personally, though, I still felt that it's like watching 2001: A Space Odyssey on your mobile phone: sure, you can do it, but even if it's the best damn possible mobile version of 2001, it's still not the ideal way to experience it.
Bad analogy. A Space Odyssey on your phone is still A Space Odyssey. Autumn is NOT Deus Ex. I am confident I can make that claim based on what I know.

Those coming into the game with The Fall will find a lot to love, and those who are happy and comfortable with relatively complex touchscreen controls will enjoy it. It really is a stunning attempt at bring Deus Ex to a portable platform, and everyone working on it should be proud of how much they've translated intact, but whether it's something I personally will want to play for 6-7 hours is another question.

You're being far too lenient. They buttered you up didn't they? I can picture it now, that french charm.

Berr
16th Jun 2013, 01:55
I'm a fan of DXHR, The Icarus Effect, and iPad gaming so I'm looking forward to this.

1) How does Ben's need for neuropozyne play out in game? Does he need regular doses, or in response to using his augs? What happens if he runs out?
2) Did you meet Anna Kelso in your play of the game / do you know if she will be in it much?
3) Do you know anything about the timeline of when The Fall takes place, or the basic story premise?
4) Do you know if we will still have dialog battles? I really enjoyed those in DXHR.

Jerion
16th Jun 2013, 02:03

1) We didn't get a real look at this, but it would seem to be at least a factor in the story.
3) This takes place following Icarus Effect. How much after Icarus Effect is still unclear.
4) Edit - I'm actually double-checking my notes on this. Check back.

Ashpolt
16th Jun 2013, 02:27

Given that she's in the promo art (http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-mobile-game-Android-640x384.png) I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that she's in the game!

Spyhopping
16th Jun 2013, 18:00
One of the things that really made me smile with The Fall- there are lots of e-books lying around, and they weren't all focussing on the subject of augmentation. Don't quote me on this but it seemed like there may have been more frequency to them than in Human Revolution. Also, pleanty of emails to read. Some of which irrelevant to the mission or the storyline but I always LOVE this. It fleshes out the world fantastically.

Just to add to Jerion's responses:

1) This part intrigued me because I'm very interested in where the story goes, and I really liked the idea of exploring the biological effects of mech augmentation. It does effect him, and you can remedy it- there's legit solutions and the black market.
2) I believe we saw an infolink communication from her at one point. Also, Ashpolt's above point about the promo art.
3) Similar response as Jerion.
4) I don't think that we do in The Fall, but I'll double check notes/recordings. The guys pulled this together in an impressive amount of time, and just one dialogue battle in HR would take months to put together. They were very complex.

Ashpolt
16th Jun 2013, 22:41
I'm just re-listening to our audio interview with James Wright now, and he's confirmed that there are no dialogue boss battles in DX:TF. There are still conversations though - obviously - and some have different outcomes depending on your choices.

Eliza Cassan
17th Jun 2013, 11:13
I'm going to delurk now to thank you for doing this :) I had a lot of fun reading through answers and listening to the podcast. Actually, I'd like to expand on Spyhopping's question (it wasn't silly at all! In fact, it was my favourite): do you know why Ben doesn't look look like Gerard Butler? James Swallow explicitly said he imagined him like that and even tweeted a pic when the teaser was released. I'm a bit bummed because I got used to that mental image and I don't like the "new" look. He's a great character, though, hopefully it comes through in the game as well.

Berr
18th Jun 2013, 10:58
-Did you get to talk to James Swallow about - or hear anything about - his involvement with The Fall? Since it directly follows the story in his novel and all...

Ashpolt
18th Jun 2013, 14:04

James Swallow wasn't at E3 this year sadly - however, he asked me about my opinion on The Fall on twitter, which somewhat suggests that he was involved in it. Pretty anecdotal evidence though, I'm afraid!

68_pie
18th Jun 2013, 14:13
Is there anything that hasn't been asked about yet that you particularly liked/didn't like, worked/didn't work?

xaduha2
18th Jun 2013, 17:34
zgQ_8_nzL_M

Eliza Cassan
18th Jun 2013, 17:46
If people who were at E3 can't tell you, I will: he helped with the script and was very much involved with The Fall. He said so on his Twitter and blog, confirmed that the beginning is a recap of Icarus Effect (almost all lines from the teaser - what Namir and Janus say - are directly from the novel), and had no comments on Ben's design (which is why I asked here, but all hope for an answer is now lost).

Spyhopping
18th Jun 2013, 17:57
That's ironic, it's one of the few things from DX: HR that would work well on a touchscreen.

It'd be fantastic on there, but have a listen to the interview if you have time. It's explained that it took months to put just one conversation battle together, and it just wasn't possible in the time frame they had.

68_pie
18th Jun 2013, 18:18
It's explained that it took months to put just one conversation battle together, and it just wasn't possible in the time frame they had.

It's been a while since I played DXHR but this really surprises me. Maybe I am misremembering, but weren't they just fairly standard branching dialogues you expect to see in any RPG?

Shralla
18th Jun 2013, 20:17
EM really hates it when people call them out on obvious BS, huh?

It's been a while since I played DXHR but this really surprises me. Maybe I am misremembering, but weren't they just fairly standard branching dialogues you expect to see in any RPG?

Yes, they were. There is literally nothing about them that would take "months" to produce just one. Maybe if there was a SINGLE person working on it that would be true, but with a whole team of animators (literally the only part of conversation battles that would be difficult to produce) working on it, there is absolutely no way. If that were the case, Heavy Rain would have taken a decade to produce and wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good in the end.

CyberP
18th Jun 2013, 20:22
Conspiracy!

6 months they claimed btw, in the community podcast/interview. All the mocap must have been some work, facial expressions, voice acting, throw in casie, a lot of work. Not 6 months per battle though, not at all. At least some exaggeration there.

Shralla
18th Jun 2013, 21:29
If it was mocap, it should take even LESS time to make. I assumed they were animating it by hand, which would take longer. I mean look at LA Noire. Huge game, yes, but all of that stuff was done with mocap and therefore took almost no time to make.

Spyhopping
18th Jun 2013, 23:49
Well that was just the impression I got from the interview- a few months for each battle. Perhaps I need to have another listen.

I'm not particularly enlightened about the process of creating conversation battles, but when I heard what they said, I imagined that they could became rather complex and time consuming. Additionally EM may have become accustomed to tasking a relatively small team of people to it.

JCpies
19th Jun 2013, 15:03

I think we'd got our hopes up for a big sequel that bridges the gap between HR and the original setting, but yeah. I'm guessing this takes place before/during HR. So what 'falls'?

Ashpolt
19th Jun 2013, 15:52

You know what? That's a damn good question. Didn't even think of asking that. Could be the fall of the Tyrants, I guess, though that happened in DXHR really - the ones we knew about fell, at least. Possibly the fall of Belltower? Seems a bit of a dramatic title for the demise of such a small company though. On the other hand, it could be the fall of the Illuminati at the hands of Majestic 12, but a) I doubt they'd cover such an important event as that in a side game, and b) in-universe that shouldn't happen for another few years, though EM's series isn't 100% accurate to the older games so it's possible.

So, in summary: not a clue. But damn good question.

Spyhopping
19th Jun 2013, 16:08
Dammit Ashpolt. Every time I look to post in this thread you've beat me to it!!

I feel like I should know this. Maybe it has something to do with the Icarus myth.

AlexOfSpades
19th Jun 2013, 16:15
Could relate to the Liberty Statue incident.

Alternatively, the Gray Death plague.

Alternatively, whatever happened that turned the super sci-fi world of DX:HR into the normal-looking cities of DX1.

JMSwallow
19th Jun 2013, 16:33
*decloaking*

Like Ashpolt says, I wasn't at E3 this year...

he helped with the script and was very much involved with The Fall. He said so on his Twitter and blog, confirmed that the beginning is a recap of Icarus Effect (almost all lines from the teaser - what Namir and Janus say - are directly from the novel),

...but yeah, all this.

and had no comments on Ben's design (which is why I asked here, but all hope for an answer is now lost)

There's always hope. And I did comment about Ben's character design; I said that I'm fine with it.

El_Bel
19th Jun 2013, 16:35
Any word on when they are gonna make you lead writer?

HellraiserJF
19th Jun 2013, 17:37
EM really hates it when people call them out on obvious BS, huh?

Yes, they were. There is literally nothing about them that would take "months" to produce just one. Maybe if there was a SINGLE person working on it that would be true, but with a whole team of animators (literally the only part of conversation battles that would be difficult to produce) working on it, there is absolutely no way. If that were the case, Heavy Rain would have taken a decade to produce and wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good in the end.

Just to set the record straight - When we say it took us 6 months, it's an average but still quite accurate. It's not only about animations nor about the fact that branching dialog is a simple system in essence.

There were many things to take into consideration. We need to figure out a lot of aspects:
1) Who is this character and what is the conflict with him? (why Jensen cares and vice versa). It was easier with characters such as Haas because we were able to build a background story about him and Jensen. However, when you get to characters such as Zeke or Tong, it becomes trickier because those guys have no common history. So, there are a lot of brainstorms about finding the "thing" that will make the social fight work.
2) Once it's figured out, you need to understand the inner logic of the system (which I won't explain here). In essence, you make a dialog choice, the NPC reacts than counter attack. His counter attack is picked from a pool randomly for each round of the social battle. Thus, it makes each encounter playable more than once. What all that means? We had to write about 20 mins of dialog for each social battles even though they last less than 5 mins when you play them. Making all the possible connections blend naturally in each other was quite a challenge.
3) We build the system in Excel (playable version) and send it to most of the Eidos Montreal studio. People play it and send us back their Excel sheet with their track record and their additional feedback. It allows us to see what works and what doesn't. We can go through several iterations (or not) depending on the feedback we receive.
4) Once we're pretty comfortable with the results, it's all about staging the battle. Where is this happening? How can we make it dynamic and not just 2 guys talking? You have to remember that at this point in time, levels are still being built and the rooms where those encounters happen aren't being fully built before we figure out the pace, the movement, etc. So, now it's time to brainstorm on this and figure out the drama. Then we draw a top-down view of the basic layout of the room and we add the choreography on top of it. We do it in 3D - we take the measurements, etc.
5) Now, animators have all the information to go in mo-cap. A part of the team is going to take care of the body while the other part will work on the facial.
6) then we have to put it in the engine, make it work, see what can be improved, added, etc.

The bottom line is that it goes much beyond pure animation production, there's a design phase that is mostly about finding creative solutions than execution. The latter being only a part of the recipe.

Hope it helps you understand it a little bit more.
Cheers,
JF

AlexOfSpades
19th Jun 2013, 18:14
JF? JF Dugas?

*starstruck*

Thanks for posting here in the forums JF! We know that you guys lurk and stuff, but i always wondered why dont you guys post and participate. Some sort of company policy? Perhaps because the haters would bother you too much? Or because you're too busy IRL to write posts?

Wait, damn, maybe he wont reply to my post if i dont make a DX: The Fall question. Damn, uh.. uh... i gotta think of something quick...!

Have you guys considered turning the hacking minigame into a standalone game? Make it so that the stages give you concept art/soundtrack (kinda like what you did with the Sarif website), price it 99 cents? Would sell, i'm sure. Everyone loves it, and it plays well in tablets right?

xaduha2
19th Jun 2013, 18:14
I'll mark this day in my calendar.

HellraiserJF
19th Jun 2013, 18:23
It was a little bit of everything. Company policy, we're very busy, etc., etc. We want to change this be closer to you guys. Don't get me wrong, I won't be able to participate on a regular basis, I might go dark often but has nothing to do with you guys. :)

And to answer your question about the hacking mini-game, yes, we thought of it but we chose to go with a full on DX experience instead. Can't say if we'll revisit this idea or not at this point though.

sonicsidewinder
19th Jun 2013, 18:23
Shralla just got rumbled by JF xD

Also, Mr Dugas, sir.

I saw via mod-taken pictographs you donning an Accept T-shirt!

*claps* You have taste.

May I suggest a "Balls to the Wall" aug for the next DX? It could replace the "Punch Through Wall" augmentation.

The protaganist will have to be augmented down below though of course. xD

AlexOfSpades
19th Jun 2013, 18:31
May I suggest a "Balls to the Wall" aug for the next DX? It could replace the "Punch Through Wall" augmentation.

The protaganist will have to be augmented down below though of course. xD

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got balls of steel!

Edit:

It was a little bit of everything. Company policy, we're very busy, etc., etc. We want to change this be closer to you guys. Don't get me wrong, I won't be able to participate on a regular basis, I might go dark often but has nothing to do with you guys.

Looking forward to it! Also, have you seen the Evil Laugh gif? With the mustache?

HellraiserJF
19th Jun 2013, 18:38
Of course I did. When I saw it the first time around I bursted out laughing very loud! Hey? What did you expect? ;)
Very funny!

68_pie
19th Jun 2013, 18:53
Just to set the record straight - When we say it took us 6 months, it's an average but still quite accurate. It's not only about animations nor about the fact that branching dialog is a simple system in essence.

There were many things to take into consideration. We need to figure out a lot of aspects:
1) Who is this character and what is the conflict with him? (why Jensen cares and vice versa). It was easier with characters such as Haas because we were able to build a background story about him and Jensen. However, when you get to characters such as Zeke or Tong, it becomes trickier because those guys have no common history. So, there are a lot of brainstorms about finding the "thing" that will make the social fight work.
2) Once it's figured out, you need to understand the inner logic of the system (which I won't explain here). In essence, you make a dialog choice, the NPC reacts than counter attack. His counter attack is picked from a pool randomly for each round of the social battle. Thus, it makes each encounter playable more than once. What all that means? We had to write about 20 mins of dialog for each social battles even though they last less than 5 mins when you play them. Making all the possible connections blend naturally in each other was quite a challenge.
3) We build the system in Excel (playable version) and send it to most of the Eidos Montreal studio. People play it and send us back their Excel sheet with their track record and their additional feedback. It allows us to see what works and what doesn't. We can go through several iterations (or not) depending on the feedback we receive.
4) Once we're pretty comfortable with the results, it's all about staging the battle. Where is this happening? How can we make it dynamic and not just 2 guys talking? You have to remember that at this point in time, levels are still being built and the rooms where those encounters happen aren't being fully built before we figure out the pace, the movement, etc. So, now it's time to brainstorm on this and figure out the drama. Then we draw a top-down view of the basic layout of the room and we add the choreography on top of it. We do it in 3D - we take the measurements, etc.
5) Now, animators have all the information to go in mo-cap. A part of the team is going to take care of the body while the other part will work on the facial.
6) then we have to put it in the engine, make it work, see what can be improved, added, etc.

The bottom line is that it goes much beyond pure animation production, there's a design phase that is mostly about finding creative solutions than execution. The latter being only a part of the recipe.

Hope it helps you understand it a little bit more.
Cheers,
JF

It doesn't sound that different to what Obsidian did in EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION in Alpha Protocol.

It was a little bit of everything. Company policy, we're very busy, etc., etc. We want to change this be closer to you guys. Don't get me wrong, I won't be able to participate on a regular basis, I might go dark often but has nothing to do with you guys. :)

Pity you didn't do this before the game came out...but more interaction would be very welcome.

Also, you should get them fix you up with a fancy "Dev" tag to distinguish you from the masses.

Eliza Cassan
19th Jun 2013, 19:14
And I did comment about Ben's character design; I said that I'm fine with it.
Forgive me, it's only 2013 and my reporting skills need to be honed. I mean you didn't comment on why he looked differently. I admit I am a bit biased on the subject because I imagined him as Gerard right off the bat for some reason, before even reading the wiki and interviews, it's a strange thing.

On another note, I like the amount of delurking in this thread... :whistle:

Shralla
19th Jun 2013, 19:25
It doesn't sound that different to what Obsidian did in EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION in Alpha Protocol.

Pity you didn't do this before the game came out...but more interaction would be very welcome.

Also, you should get them fix you up with a fancy "Dev" tag to distinguish you from the masses.

All of this. I realize there's more work to a conversation battle then just "Oh he says this so now she says this and then the conversation is done," but honestly it really doesn't sound that much different than a regular conversation except that you need to randomize the responses to some extent, and spend more time animating the response. But I don't see much difference between that and say almost every conversation in an Obsidian/Black Isle game, which aren't randomized sure, but feature WAY more dialog choices, and the games feature WAY more characters than any Deus Ex game.

And yeah, some communication from anybody on the dev team at all before the game came out two years ago would have been pretty awesome. I know that the company policy was to mostly stay in the dark before Square Enix started "revamping" their development strategies, but this just makes things a little TOO transparent doesn't it?

Regardless, it is nice to hear from the team and I hope that we'll be hearing more recently, and I hope THAT'S because you're going to announce a proper sequel sometime soon!

AlexOfSpades
19th Jun 2013, 19:45
Dude barely joined the forums and people are already demanding things... :(

Spyhopping
19th Jun 2013, 19:47
Haha! That was unexpected. Great to hear from you here JF, an interesting breakdown of the process.

CyberP
19th Jun 2013, 20:34
"Be Patient"

OK, but I expect a masterpiece. Not achievable by wasting 6 months dev time and resources on verbal boss battles, as brilliant as they were.
Recycle models, textures and some animations from Human Revolution then focus on everything else.
Give Me Deus Ex, then go all out milking us with rushed DLC afterwards, we wont mind one bit ;)

...or continue to raise hell with tablet Deus Ex games :(

*Deactivates Pheromones, appears they don't work digitally*

Have you guys considered turning the hacking minigame into a standalone game? Make it so that the stages give you concept art/soundtrack (kinda like what you did with the Sarif website), price it 99 cents? Would sell, i'm sure. Everyone loves it, and it plays well in tablets right?

STOP. One standalone DX mini-game is enough (Autumn).

Instead they could expand on it for DX4 though hopefully no XP as rewards next time, just stop worms and nukes.

JCpies
19th Jun 2013, 20:46
Weeeelllll ****, if it ain't the cap'n himself.

*Deactivates Pheromones, appears they don't work digitally*

Lol'd.

But seriously everyone has had their rant, may as well be courteous to other forum users and drop it unless there's something new to say.

Then again, if we all stopped ranting, there would be no forum...

Mind blown.

FrankCSIS
19th Jun 2013, 22:48
Well I'll be damned

This calls for some chili

Ashpolt
19th Jun 2013, 22:49
Well this is a pleasant surprise! Perhaps we need a new thread: "We DEVELOPED Deus Ex: The Fall - Ask us anything!"?

Kidding aside, I think this is a very positive move, so bravo sir, bravo! Is this part of the change in communications policy that David Anfossi was talking about last week?

I saw via mod-taken pictographs you donning an Accept T-shirt!

*claps* You have taste.

...Yeah, hold off on the praise. In the audio interview, when I mention that he had been wearing a One Direction t-shirt, I'm not joking. :rasp:

JMSwallow
20th Jun 2013, 10:46
Just to set the record straight...

Uh-oh. My boss is here. Better look busy... :whistle:

Just to add my POV to the comments about the conversations; speaking as one of the people who wrote a first pass version of some of those sequences, I can attest to the fact that it was a lengthy and involved process - and that was just the 'words' part of it. Creating a multi-tiered branching dialogue that not only informs about character, nuance, gameworld and narrative, while also advancing the plot and acting almost as a mini-game in and of itself was a unique challenge, and a big team effort that I was enthused to be a part of.

I mean you didn't comment on why he looked differently. I admit I am a bit biased on the subject because I imagined him as Gerard right off the bat for some reason, before even reading the wiki and interviews, it's a strange thing.

Ben-as-game-character looks different from Ben-as-cover-art or Ben-as-the-author-imagined simply because he's been reinterpreted by new designers and new artists.

While Gerard Butler was an "actor" I had in mind when I was writing Icarus Effect, that's only part of my core concept for him. Jason Statham was also an influence on my characterization of Ben. Some people have said that The Fall's Ben resembles a young Jean Reno or Ray Stephenson, and I reckon both those guys work well as visual models for his character too.

Spyhopping
20th Jun 2013, 15:31
I'm enjoying the de-cloaking going on here!

Let's keep the discussion here to Q&A if we can. Does anyone else have any questions they'd like to ask about The Fall?

68_pie
20th Jun 2013, 15:44
I'm enjoying the de-cloaking going on here!

Let's keep the discussion here to Q&A if we can. Does anyone else have any questions they'd like to ask about The Fall?

Anything you can think of that hasn't ben mentioned yet?

b1skit
20th Jun 2013, 19:01
Just made some edits to get this thread back on track - please keep the discussion on topic, the guys who played Deus Ex: The Fall at E3 are here to answer any questions you've got about the game so fire away!!

"The Fall" is symbolic to Ben Saxon's journey in the game, it references him falling away from being a Tyrant, as is depicted in the title sequence of the game.

What else has gotten you guys curious?

joebarnin
20th Jun 2013, 19:34
One of the "minor" things I liked about DX:HR is the music, the themes associated with each geographic area or mission. I really noticed this in my recent play-through. How was the music (and sound, in general), compared to DX:HR?

Jerion
20th Jun 2013, 19:38

There's new music made for The Fall, but it's by the same fellow. Definitely new material, but of comparable quality and of very similar atmosphere. It's like an extension of the DX:HR soundtrack.

Spyhopping
20th Jun 2013, 20:09
There's a lot of things I could say about the game which haven't been addressed through questions here, and a lot of them I wouldn't probably even think to say without prompts. That's why Q&As are nicely productive. I'm going to do a write up soon about the whole experience, which I'll split into Thief and DX, so I can get my general impression out in that. Perhaps the other guys will like to do the same and we can sticky a thread here for people to read.

Here's some general impressions with The Fall. I probably should have done this at the start before I started responding to questions, but the party had already started because of my late flights, and it's been helpful to collect my thoughts. I'll add any other thoughts to this over the next couple of hours if I think of anything else.

Pros:

Despite initial worry, the touch screen was intuitive and natural to use when moving around. My hands on the screen did not obstruct my view at all. It felt good to explore using the touch screen, and interacting with the environment was great too.
It looked fantastic. I had no idea that games could look that good on an iPad. We saw a cityscape at one point, which was gorgeous.
There were loads of ebooks and emails lying around to read, which made me rather happy.
I was worried that The Fall would be heavily action oriented, but there will be city hubs. By far, my favourite part of DX:HR were the city hubs. Again, this news made me rather cheerful.
It feels like HR. It might be difficult to get into the atmosphere if you're playing it for ten minutes on the bus, but you can decide for yourself where you play it. On the flight back I remember thinking it would have been a perfect thing to get into on long flights with your headphones on.
I'm glad to be exploring the story leading on from the excellent plot of the Icarus Effect. Ben only having one augmented arm and needing to find medication for the effects of his mechanical augmentation sounds like an interesting addition to the gameplay and story.
More music from McCann. Need I say more?
Very reasonable price for the play time.

Cons:

It seemed an odd platform to expand the DX universe on. But this hasn't really changed my impression of the game.
I found combat a little awkward. Targeting seemed fine, but I kept having to clumsily locate the "fire" button with my thumb, and sometimes I'd not be able to react in time, and I'd die. I'm sure you become more accustomed to this and it comes more naturally eventually, but it was something I didn't adapt to in the time I had to play it. I didn't really try out the tracking system as I was determined to target in the traditional way.
The inventory was more fun before, and I prefer having to manage limited resources.
I can absolutely understand why this is needed, but it is still a disadvantage: bodies dissolve. As such, if you're playing non-lethal there is no risk of bodies being found, and enemies will be permanently out of play.

Overall, the experience was unexpectedly overwhelmingly positive! I was expecting a lot more compromise in order to get it on this platform, but that really wasn't the case. I want to buy it but unfortunately I am limited by not currently owning an iPad- but I'm going to get one soon. It's very good quality for the money.

Berr
20th Jun 2013, 23:08
Thanks for all the info spyhopping! I'm trying to think of more questions, but now that I've read all your stuff, watched the E3 content and read James Swallow's blog, I can't think what else to ask, I'm just pumped for The Fall to come out now!

OH! I got a question ... release date? ;)

Also, thanks for coming to answer some questions JF and James Swallow, was great to hear from you :)

I totally understand what you're saying about what it took to develop those dialog boss battles. It's a shame there isn't any in The Fall though, I feel like that is a part of DXHR that would have really shone on iPad. I wonder if in future you could come up with a streamlined process that would allow a few on iPad? Maybe less custom mo-cap, less randomisation?

FrankCSIS
21st Jun 2013, 03:43

Tu veux savoir c’que s’dise, les fans
Tu veux savoir c’que s’dise les fans
On te le crierait que tu n’entendrais rien
On te dirait doucement que tu n’comprendrais….rien!

Tu comprends pouquoi ils pleurent, les fans
Tu comprends pouquoi ils pleurent les fans
On te l’a dit si souvent mon cœur mais tu t’en es moqué
Te disant d’toute façon un fan c’est bien trop compliqué!

Tu comprends pourquoi ils te quittent, les fans
Tu comprends pourquoi ils te quittent les fans
Ils te montrent, ils t’expliquent, doucement, en criant
Ils te font un dessin, mais jamais tu n’y comprends….rien!

Aahhhh just pullin your leg. Amylie was playing while I was browsin this thread :p

Spyhopping
21st Jun 2013, 09:52
Thanks for all the info spyhopping! I'm trying to think of more questions, but now that I've read all your stuff, watched the E3 content and read James Swallow's blog, I can't think what else to ask, I'm just pumped for The Fall to come out now!

OH! I got a question ... release date? ;)

Great! Glad you're looking forward to it. I can't recall hearing a release date, so I had a little look around and found this (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-06/07/deus-ex-the-fall-preview) article which quoted:
"soon", according to the developers

So it will be released soon. Not much guidance there, but perhaps we can anticipate it in 2013.

Ashpolt
24th Jun 2013, 22:00
If anyone's interested, I scribbled some thoughts about The Fall down on my site. (http://www.phasemonkey.co.uk/2013/06/if-you-want-to-make-enemies-deus-ex-the-fall-preview/) Most of it has been covered in this thread already, but if you'd prefer something in more prose-y, less Q&A format, there you go!

hybridex
25th Jun 2013, 20:28
Good demo.. especially liked the 30 minutes one with JF and Emile.. The Fall looks great.. another kudos to the DX crew.. just can't wait for it to come out to console. JF did hinted at, "..please be patience."

TheYouthCounselor
29th Jul 2013, 09:40
So is Janus actually Daedalus? Another AI? Eliza? An earlier iteration of Echelon?

Spyhopping
11th Aug 2013, 10:42
So is Janus actually Daedalus? Another AI? Eliza? An earlier iteration of Echelon?

I got to play it for a while on Jerion's tablet recently, but I haven't been able to finish it yet. Even if that question is answered (which I don't think it will be, not yet anyway) you'd do yourself more favours if you found out for yourself in-game. I was recently told a rather big spoiler for the most recent Song of Ice and Fire book, and now I'm feeling rather grumpy about it.

Jerion
11th Aug 2013, 19:14
I got to play it for a while on Jerion's tablet recently, but I haven't been able to finish it yet.

Terribly sorry about that, my fault. I'll let you get on with it next time. :flowers:

Pinky_Powers
12th Aug 2013, 17:22
You ruin everything Mr. K.

JCpies
12th Aug 2013, 18:37
Jerion wouldn't let me play. He just boasted about it, and then they talked about the funny faces that the characters made. :(

Jerion
12th Aug 2013, 19:08
Jerion wouldn't let me play. He just boasted about it, and then they talked about the funny faces that the characters made. :(

To be fair, at the time the daylight was much too bright and my iPad has a shiny screen. Maybe another time.

JCpies
12th Aug 2013, 19:12
To be fair, at the time the daylight was much too bright and my iPad has a shiny screen. Maybe another time.

Maybe when we meet next time, in 2027 and I already own the Ipad 5, The Fall: Director's Cut 2 and Deus Ex 4².

Spyhopping
12th Aug 2013, 19:26
You'd be pretty behind the times, Pie. I will have transcended technology by that stage. I will be pure light! You certainly won't be able to see your iPad screens then muhah haaa.

JCpies
18th Aug 2013, 18:31
Well, looks like I got to try The Fall today.

Even if I only played it for a minute and a half.

It's pretty good for an Iphone game, but I died twice without doing much.

destroy.all.monsters
22nd Oct 2013, 13:47
When does the Android version come out?

CyberP
22nd Oct 2013, 13:52
Maybe when we meet next time, in 2027 and I already own the Ipad 5, The Fall: Director's Cut 2 and Deus Ex 4².

:lol: