PDA

View Full Version : We PLAYED Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut at E3 – Ask us anything!

Pages : 1 [2]

pirate1802
5th Nov 2013, 05:09
I'm exaggerating again. The game truly is art (mostly visually), but far from an overall masterpiece.

Exactly my feelings. I quite like the game for what it is, but when I see people worshiping it as a never-before phenomenon I get a little irritated. :p I'd even say the story is indeed never-before quality, but they mucked it up with how they decided to tell that story.

Captain Mazda
5th Nov 2013, 15:05
I am accepting of imperfection, I just moan because the quality of gaming has dropped. The status quo from 8 years ago still being the status quo now would be great, it really would.

I agree with that. The same problems with DX:HR are what plague all games these days: everything is dumbed down for the casual gamer, both in complexity and the tech powering the game. Crysis on PC from 2007 still has better AI and graphics than anything from the "next-gen" (stupid marketing buzzword for idiots) console world.

Like I said, that doesn't mean we should accept it for what it is. Developers and publishers need to be accountable for the product they sell. The fact that this game was re-released says a lot, the fact that the same game-breaking bugs from over two years ago are still present says even more.

Jerion
5th Nov 2013, 15:23
I agree with that. The same problems with DX:HR are what plague all games these days: everything is dumbed down for the casual gamer, both in complexity and the tech powering the game. Crysis on PC from 2007 still has better AI and graphics than anything from the "next-gen" (stupid marketing buzzword for idiots) console world.

Go back and play Crysis 1 again. It's out-of-the-box visuals are starting to age a bit; most of the reason it's visuals hold up is the subtle stylization, the aesthetic. New high-end AAA visuals on PC are already matching or surpassing it in terms of raw visual fidelity. New generation consoles are capable of delivering graphical displays more or less on par with what we have now on PC, and just like we saw with the last consoles, that will improve over time as developers get familiar with optimizing for the hardware. As for AI..well, I agree that it hasn't seen as remarkable an improvement in the last few years.

CyberP
5th Nov 2013, 15:33
Crysis on PC from 2007 still has better AI and graphics than anything from the "next-gen" console world.

Can you prove that? There is not a single "next-gen" game released yet. Also, all three Crysis games were released on consoles too, so the AI is there.
Additionally, Crysis, it's all graphics and AI but nothing else right? It doesn't have a branching story, RPG systems etc, so it is understandable that Crysis would have excelled in something Deus Ex has not as Deus Ex has a lot more on it's plate.

But yes, dumbed down games make me sad.
Dumbed down tech I don't hardly give two ****s about. Deus Ex is my favourite game of all time and it's 13 years old, that's because it's design is genius. The engine it's built with is ancient by today's standards.
That said, obviously a newer engine is preferred, as long as graphics fidelity is at the bottom of the budget allocation priority list.

Like I said, that doesn't mean we should accept it for what it is. Developers and publishers need to be accountable for the product they sell. The fact that this game was re-released says a lot, the fact that the same game-breaking bugs from over two years ago are still present says even more.

Agreed. For special cases like Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut especially.
With the right design it could have really been something, instead it's a broken mess with questionable design decisions. Though I already know the answer to said questions; the decisions were made for what they believe to be mass appeal, NG+ for example. Sigh.

Captain Mazda
6th Nov 2013, 14:59
StarControl II was made in 1992 and it's still a shining beacon of how storytelling, writing, gameplay, and voice acting should be done. That game will never age.