PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Eidos Montreal RE: The Fall

theNYX
15th Jun 2013, 00:09
(I had posted this on the Facebook page's timeline but I noticed it was disappearing pretty quickly, and I figured you all wouldn't be able to read it amongst all the other people posting.)

Hello,

Eidos Montreal, I still have faith in you guys. I'm not angry nor am I upset. I'm just disappointed. I still own my original GOTY version of Deus Ex that I came upon when I was about 13 years old. Now, at 27 I have played through Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, read the DX:HR comics, read DX: Icarus Effect, and even own all three Deus Ex Play Arts Kai action figures. I am a very big fan of the Deus Ex franchise, and in fact transhumanism/cybernetic augmentation is going to be a large part of my dissertation for my upcoming master's degree in digital forensics. (I will finish with two degrees- mechanical engineering w/ a focus on robotics, and criminal justice). The Deus Ex franchise as a whole has played a large role in my inspiration to learn as much as possible about technology and how it can help and hurt humanity. I have read tons and tons of material on transhumanism and related topics- in fact, I even attend the university where FM-2030 (a noted proponent of transhumanism who is being cryopreserved at Alcor) had taught classes, FIU.

As such, it greatly saddened me that Deus Ex: The Fall is only being made available for the iPad/iPhone. At $6.99, the game is certainly a great deal. I own an iPad, and I will be purchasing this game, albeit begrudgingly, because I feel I am being short-changed in the experience I grew up enjoying with Deus Ex as a whole. I have gone as far as building a custom gaming rig connected to my 5.1 home theatre system, to a 60" LED 3D TV to not only play my games, but to completely immerse myself in them and experience the games the way they are meant to be played- by engulfing you completely. I both support and commend releasing games like Deus Ex on console, even though it makes me feel just a little dirty since they started on PC. However, my experience with Deus Ex will now be relegated to a 10" screen in the palm of my hands, and for what I can foresee, I will never be able to enjoy this experience on my home theatre system and dive into the game as it deserves.

I will not stoop to the point that some have to the degree of throwing insults, accusing Eidos Montreal/Square Enix of being money-mongers and that "the end is near"- no, far from it. My girlfriend and I love Eidos/Square Enix games- she loves Kingdom Hearts, I love Thief, Deus Ex, and we are both salivating over Murdered and have been watching the E3 coverage with great zeal.

My request is a simple one. I have renewed hope for Deus Ex, since the Director's Cut will be released for PC/Xbox/PS3 later this year, and I can only hope that this was done to appease the masses of Deus Ex fans that are out there. If so, good on you. I humbly ask that you all give The Fall the same treatment- put it out for PC as a DLC on Steam, et al and I am sure we the fans of Deus Ex will spend more money (say, $9.99?) on this DLC that will allow us to play our beloved series' continuation on our PCs. Make it available on both the PlayStation and Xbox marketplaces, as well as on iOS/iPhone. Please give your hungry and passionate fans the liberty of choice on what platform they choose to play your wonderful games on.

Wouldn't it be something J.C. Denton/Paul Denton/Adam Jensen/Ben Saxon would fight for? Freedom of choice? After all this is one of the tenets of the story behind Deus Ex. Choice- choice in how to play the game, choice of how to end the game, choice in how you experience the story.

I apologize for any harsh words thrown your way by what may seem to be angry fans of the series- understand it's not hatred, but rather inflamed frustration as to what many perceive is a ham-handed approach to releasing new content.

I still hold out hope that you all will listen to the collective pleading and will eventually release The Fall on other formats. I will wait patiently for that day and when it happens, I will cheer and celebrate and express my approval the best way I can think of- with my wallet.

Thank you all for the years of enjoyment through your games- please continue the hard work.

HERESY
15th Jun 2013, 01:08
Even though I understand they're going the transmedia route with the IP, and agree with what they're doing (from a business perspective), I stand by your post and the way you presented it. :thumb:

CyberP
15th Jun 2013, 04:54
tl;dr :p

I read half. Up to the point where you requested Deus Ex: Autumn on PC/Consoles.
You cannot even jump dammit! It's not Deus Ex.

Just leave it to serve it's purpose: Make money, nothing more, and then maybe we can have a half decent Deus Ex game like HR down the line.

b1skit
17th Jun 2013, 15:25
Hey theNYX,

Deus Ex: The Fall is not about "mobile vs next gen" - it's about bringing Deus Ex to a whole new audience who might have never otherwise had a chance to experience the DX universe and lore that we all love so much. This was something very important to the team, but it certainly in no way means that the franchise will be exclusively mobile-only in the future, just like Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect didn't mean the franchise was going to be paperback only, just like the recent Deus Ex movie announcement didn't mean the franchise is going to be film-only or just like the Deus Ex comic books didn't mean the franchise was going to be pulp fiction only. Bringing the franchise to different platforms allows us to create a rich and layered experience, and while Deus Ex story lines are parallel they are not interdependent - so you're still able to enjoy each release for its own merits, you're not missing anything if you didn't catch a previous episode in the franchise, for example.

We believe all platforms present opportunities and if you create the right content, you can have success. The Deus Ex franchise has always delivered high quality and Deus Ex: The Fall will continue this trend on mobile platforms. Deus Ex: The Fall will be a true HD experience, just like Human Revolution.

If you've got any questions about the game itself, head over to this thread here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1927209#post1927209) - several members of the Deus Ex Community attended E3 and played the game for themselves, check out what they have to say about the game!

For the record, it's been absolutely fantastic to see how much our fans want to see a sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PC/Console since the announcement of Deus Ex: The Fall, and I can assure you that this feedback has been passed on to the team - so thank you :) I'd highly recommend checking out Deus Ex: The Fall when you get a chance, I suspect you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

CyberP
17th Jun 2013, 16:20
I'm not happy Eidos.
I don't think I've been unreasonable.

Deus Ex deserves the best and no less. It's being misrepresented here.
I'm not claiming that The Fall or any other trans-media you are cooking up are not of high quality, but how can a mobile game even get on the same level of interactive art as the main series (specifically the original, sorry)? How can a movie?

They cannot.

You're a business, you need money, understandable. Millions of CAD....but a new IP could & should have served as a cash cow instead. You took on somebody else's IP, a ******* masterpiece, and are doing all sorts of dirty things with it.

Tell me I'm wrong. Even if I am being unreasonable you know there to be some truth behind these words.

b1skit
17th Jun 2013, 17:52
Tell me I'm wrong.

No, you're entitled to your opinion. However, I would highly recommend at the very least TRYING the game before you decide that the franchise is being misrepresented... It's pretty unreasonable to make up your mind based solely on your personal platform preferences.

This game really is a HD-quality, true Deus Ex experience, and for only $6.99 for 5+ hours of gameplay on your first playthrough it's hard to argue that it's not worth checking out. Combine that with replayability (just like all previous Deus Ex games), the game having been developed by the same core developers as Human Revolution - including new sound track music from Michael Mccann - the new augmentations and features, plus all of the same gameplay pillars as Human Revolution, it's one hell of a "Deus Ex to dollar" ratio. You can't even buy a decent lunch for $6.99!

The post-E3 press response has been *incredibly* positive, as was the reaction from our community attendees who had hands on time playing the game last week at E3 2013. I'd highly recommend chatting to the guys and asking them whatever questions you might have!

xaduha2
17th Jun 2013, 19:01
for only $6.99 for 5+ hours of gameplay on your first playthrough

Deus Ex: Fun Size
Only $6.99!
Order now!

68_pie
17th Jun 2013, 19:06
However, I would highly recommend at the very least TRYING the game before you decide that the franchise is being misrepresented... It's pretty unreasonable to make up your mind based solely on your personal platform preferences.

Sure. If you give me my money back if I don't like it. EM (and game devs in general) aren't exactly known for offering demos.

CyberP
17th Jun 2013, 19:25
No, you're entitled to your opinion. However, I would highly recommend at the very least TRYING the game before you decide that the franchise is being misrepresented... It's pretty unreasonable to make up your mind based solely on your personal platform preferences.

This game really is a HD-quality, true Deus Ex experience, and for only $6.99 for 5+ hours of gameplay on your first playthrough it's hard to argue that it's not worth checking out. Combine that with replayability (just like all previous Deus Ex games), the game having been developed by the same core developers as Human Revolution - including new sound track music from Michael Mccann - the new augmentations and features, plus all of the same gameplay pillars as Human Revolution, it's one hell of a "Deus Ex to dollar" ratio. You can't even buy a decent lunch for $6.99!

The post-E3 press response has been *incredibly* positive, as was the reaction from our community attendees who had hands on time playing the game last week at E3 2013. I'd highly recommend chatting to the guys and asking them whatever questions you might have!

Yes, I apologize for coming to a conclusion without examining the subject matter extensively, yet I think I have seen and heard enough. Perhaps the voice acting is superb & perhaps the story is mind blowing but I expect, well, Deus Ex. My primary focus for all games is gameplay though so it'll never satisfy me. But Deus Ex used to offer all-in-one.

You're right it is surely worth the price, $6.99 for 5 hours is incredible for bite-size DX but....I've said what I wanted to already in my earlier post.
It's your IP now.

Shralla
17th Jun 2013, 19:28
[QUOTE=b1skit;1928171Deus Ex: The Fall is not about "mobile vs next gen" - it's about bringing Deus Ex to a whole new audience who might have never otherwise had a chance to experience the DX universe and lore that we all love so much. [/QUOTE]

Except nobody is going to play it who didn't already play Human Revolution. The idea of somebody who has never played a Deus Ex game and who apparently ONLY plays games on tablets buying this is completely ridiculous. There's nothing here for them. It's not Angry Birds. It's not a cute game, or an accessible game, or an easy game. You're not appealing to any kind of new audience with this release.

CyberP
17th Jun 2013, 19:32
Except nobody is going to play it who didn't already play Human Revolution. The idea of somebody who has never played a Deus Ex game and who apparently ONLY plays games on tablets buying this is completely ridiculous. There's nothing here for them. It's not Angry Birds. It's not a cute game, or an accessible game, or an easy game. You're not appealing to any kind of new audience with this release.

It will sell. There are people who demand. The mobile market is pretty huge now if I am not mistaken. Still, I don't think it will sell exceptionally well but you never know with people eh. The market researchers obviously see potential though....

Very disappointed.

b1skit
17th Jun 2013, 19:39
I understand if you don't want to take my word for it, so I guess all I can recommend is that you read the reviews, or more importantly, speak with the community guys who've actually played the game first hand. Check out the thread here. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138034)

The game really is freakin' awesome :)

Doom972
17th Jun 2013, 20:02

Unless the developers offer an actual demo, it's unreasonable to ask us to pass judgement only after we play the game. We only have video footage, screenshots, and reviews in order to to pass judgement on the game, and that's what we use.

Also, it's not his personal platform preference, but a generally accepted opinion of gamers in general.

Shralla
17th Jun 2013, 20:07
It will sell. There are people who demand. The mobile market is pretty huge now if I am not mistaken. Still, I don't think it will sell exceptionally well but you never know with people eh. The market researchers obviously see potential though....

Very disappointed.

I think it will sell to particular Deus Ex fans. I don't think that anybody who ONLY plays games on mobile is even going to look at it.

CyberP
17th Jun 2013, 21:51
It might just blow dedicated mobile gamer's minds ;) That's probably what they are going for.
Even if it's watered down beyond worth to us, it still offers multiple paths, Lethal/non-lethal, weapon upgrading and 24 augs. Doubt there are any shooters/stealth games that offer that much.....dare I say depth on the mobiles?
I'm not defending it btw, it's still The Fail, even if the shareholders consider it a success.

Doom972
17th Jun 2013, 22:55
It might just blow dedicated mobile gamer's minds ;) That's probably what they are going for.
Even if it's watered down beyond worth to us, it still offers multiple paths, Lethal/non-lethal, weapon upgrading and 24 augs. Doubt there are any shooters/stealth games that offer that much.....dare I say depth on the mobiles?
I'm not defending it btw, it's still The Fail, even if the shareholders consider it a success.

Most tablet game consumers will see a relatively expensive game with complicated controls and menus. They'll just move on and look for something else.

CyberP
18th Jun 2013, 00:04
Most tablet game consumers will see a relatively expensive game with complicated controls and menus. They'll just move on and look for something else.

Heh, You underestimate them. Using their phones is basically one complicated menu, more so than any UI in DX itself.
Depends on the individual anyway. Didn't Ilves proclaim he or she was a avid mobile gamer?
Stereotypically most would likely do as you describe though, I agree ;)

FrankCSIS
18th Jun 2013, 00:38
I still think the prime market for this are HR fans already familiar with the franchise, and easily prepared to spend 7$ on a tablet game, providing it is available for more than just the Pad.

To look at mobile numbers and think "whoa whoa this is an enormous untapped market" is delusional. Suzy at work will not play The Fall in her lunch break. Suzy is the demography who never showed interest in games beyond Mario, and who is now contributing to the so-called "highest gaming demography on the rise".

Of course, gamers who also own tablets and are prone to play fun games while on the road will surely be interested in this title, whether or not they played HR. There is a potential for new sales, if only because the controls are pushing the envelope of a tablet game. For novelty's sake, many will be want to try it, if they see a demo somewhere. But without day one fans I sincerely doubt it will translate to enormous numbers. I really don't think that was the plan, anyway. It's a bit like an album re-release, in between two integral new albums. An intermezzo, really.

CodenameD
18th Jun 2013, 05:37
While it is possible DXTF will sell, one must keep in mind that those playing on mobile/tablets play on quick bursts and expect games like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja. That's why a cheap flash game ripoff like Angry Birds oversold. Why? Because it looks LESS intimidating, handles simple and has an almost low-flat learning curve. If they wanted to play complex games, they'd have done it already: on PC or consoles!

While Deus Ex on the big platforms may not be intimidating or complicated to us, the casual gaming audience could disagree. Some may enjoy it ofcourse and may actually convert into loyal fans, but I highly doubt the "Deus Ex" name can earn dominance in the mobile platforms ever, even if through a spin-off series!

I think targeting the PSVita or (even better) the 3DS would have been a better idea. And why not? The Director's Cut on WiiU is planned out to be fine (and innovative) with the "Dual-Screen" thingy. Why not The Fall for 3DS?

I kinda agree with Doom972.

CyberP
18th Jun 2013, 06:31
Why 3DS? Vita would have been better as it has that all-important second stick.

hybridex
26th Jun 2013, 19:28
(I had posted this on the Facebook page's timeline but I noticed it was disappearing pretty quickly, and I figured you all wouldn't be able to read it amongst all the other people posting.)

My request is a simple one. I have renewed hope for Deus Ex, since the Director's Cut will be released for PC/Xbox/PS3 later this year, and I can only hope that this was done to appease the masses of Deus Ex fans that are out there. If so, good on you. I humbly ask that you all give The Fall the same treatment- put it out for PC as a DLC on Steam, et al and I am sure we the fans of Deus Ex will spend more money (say, $9.99?) on this DLC that will allow us to play our beloved series' continuation on our PCs. Make it available on both the PlayStation and Xbox marketplaces, as well as on iOS/iPhone. Please give your hungry and passionate fans the liberty of choice on what platform they choose to play your wonderful games on.

I still hold out hope that you all will listen to the collective pleading and will eventually release The Fall on other formats. I will wait patiently for that day and when it happens, I will cheer and celebrate and express my approval the best way I can think of- with my wallet.

Thank you all for the years of enjoyment through your games- please continue the hard work.

Are you collecting signatures??