PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: The Fall ANNOUNCED!

Pages : [1] 2

b1skit
5th Jun 2013, 15:06
Hey guys, just a quick update to let you know that we've released the Deus Ex: The Fall announcement trailer. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1b8k469DbY

Deus Ex: The Fall will be available soon for iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5 (and above) for $6.99. The Fall is also confirmed for Android devices (timing still to be announced).

The Fall will be playable at the Square Enix booth at this year’s E3, if you're lucky enough to be attending drop by to South Hall #1647 and say hi!

Kvltism
5th Jun 2013, 15:08
Available for Android? There's one saving grace...

USER47
5th Jun 2013, 15:08
Nobody ever asked for this crap.:(

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 15:09
Uh, well, that happened. :(

...hopefully it at least works on the Ouya with a controller. Might be an excuse to get one of those things. I cannot stand FPS games on a touch screen. They're just awful.

oceanskie
5th Jun 2013, 15:09
I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!!

raz3r
5th Jun 2013, 15:10
I lost faith in these guys, after I saw the trailer I thought I was either dreaming or they were trolling me. Too bad that's actually real. Guess what, we don't need another Deus Ex, we already have one which is almost perfect even after 10 years. We don't need you guys screwing around with the most appreciated PC franchise of all time. Really, just stay the **** away from it.

MachineCult0
5th Jun 2013, 15:10
Yesterday I started reading Icarus Effect again, today I have deleted it from my Kindle. Thanks for ruining my day Eidos.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 15:11
Hey guys, just a quick update to let you know that we've released the Deus Ex: The Fall announcement trailer. Check it out:

Deus Ex: The Fall will be available soon for iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5 (and above) for $6.99. The Fall is also confirmed for Android devices (timing still to be announced).

The Fall will be playable at the Square Enix booth at this year’s E3, if you're lucky enough to be attending drop by to South Hall #1647 and say hi!

$6.99? So it's only a small game then. Still very disappointing though, does EM not understand Deus Ex's potential? Instead they only see it's potential as a money maker.

Very disappointed. But I think this is just a joke tbh. Some kind of sick PR stunt.

iaxx
5th Jun 2013, 15:14
How does a company even manage to **** up so badly?

Your fanbase is mostly PC gamers and you release a game on the iOS.

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 15:20
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21787303/images/dugaslaugh.gif

nomotog
5th Jun 2013, 15:22
I have doubts that this game could be good.

arthureloi
5th Jun 2013, 15:26
Oh my god...
Ridiculous.

Flame Haze
5th Jun 2013, 15:28
http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/yeah+_dc45b2ab680d3145a9a19d1c43f3f8ff.jpg

I never asked for this indeed.

Even though it's only 6.99 but that kind of ruins the image.

Why not use that developement time for the real thing?!

I hope they definitely start to think clearly again after the amount of downvotes and hopefully bad selling numbers. :mad2:

besyuziki
5th Jun 2013, 15:29
First the WiiU exclusivity nonsense for the Director's Cut and now... mobile? Really? :lol:

NKD
5th Jun 2013, 15:29
Are you guys just intentionally screwing with us now? Why flush all the goodwill you garnered with the previous title like this? This makes no sense.

This is a screw-up of epic proportions. You guys just sunk your studio. To the employees of Eidos Montreal: I'm sorry that the higher ups at your studio just lost you your jobs. I hope you find new ones quickly after this title flops and Square Enix shutters the studio.

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 15:31
That joke Human Defiance game was a much better idea than this.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 15:34
Are you guys just intentionally screwing with us now? Why flush all the goodwill you garnered with the previous title like this? This makes no sense.

Human Revolution was only half the game DX was anyway, but at least they tried.

That joke Human Defiance game was a much better idea than this.

Both as bad as each other imo. Deus Ex should be a First Person Role-Playing Immersive Sim suitable for PC and consoles only, not a Action RPG, Not a iPhone game, not a 2D sidecroller and certainly not a inevitably crappy movie!
Yes the company needs to make money, but then abuse your own damn IP, not Warren Spector's/Ion Storm's masterpiece.

Looking Glass recognized that video games have the potential to provide the deepest home entertainment experiences ever made. They succeeded in almost all ways but were restricted by technology of the time. Now that dream can be realized to full potential but instead the dream gets milked...

b1skit
5th Jun 2013, 15:38
More info here guys!

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Announced

68_pie
5th Jun 2013, 15:42

Nobody cares.

Boradam
5th Jun 2013, 15:43
Well, that was disappointing.

I'll still buy it given it continues off the book, but still, disappointing.

nomotog
5th Jun 2013, 15:48
You know, it still has the list heavy boxes augment. That says to me that it's intending to be a DX game, but I am skeptical how well it can be that. I question the platform choice.

avenging_teabag
5th Jun 2013, 15:49
Their facebook wall is a thing of beauty right now. Deus Ex: the Fail indeed.

Ilves
5th Jun 2013, 15:50
I laughed so hard. Oh well.

Hope this thing goes towards funding great things in the future.

raz3r
5th Jun 2013, 15:51
More info here guys!

You DO realize no one cares right? Did you guys take a look on your FB page or here?

Doom972
5th Jun 2013, 15:54
Eidos Montreal are a huge disappointment. First with the WiiU exclusive Director's Cut and now this. I hope that someone takes the franchise away from these guys because Deus Ex is my favorite game and I hate seeing its franchise getting abused like that.

NKD
5th Jun 2013, 15:55
You DO realize no one cares right? Did you guys take a look on your FB page or here?

He's gotta post that stuff as part of his job. It's not his fault, cut him some slack. He's a victim in this too.

Shadownet
5th Jun 2013, 15:55
http://imgur.com/ypT0WGH

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 15:56
Deus Ex: The Fail

Mehb
5th Jun 2013, 15:57
More info here guys!

We don't want more info. We want you to publicly apologize for this insult and announce that you will drop it entirely; that you will never make another Deus Ex game unless it's on PC. And I don't mean some tablet-quality crap, except also on PC.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea? You've managed to piss off almost your entire ******* fanbase! How stupid would you have to be to not realize how stupid it is? People are sick of getting the finger from management idiots that want quick cash grabs.

It says you're a community manager, so why haven't you even responded to the overwhelmingly negative response? You can see from this very thread that, no, we do not want this trash. Take a look at the youtube likes and dislikes. At the moment, there are 253 likes and 3777 dislikes.

You know what's almost more offensive than this game itself? The way you're giving us the silent treatment. Just keep pretending the backlash isn't there and eventually people will be too tired to keep complaining. Seen it too many times, but it just keeps happening.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 15:57
Well done EM. You guys understand that the mobile market has basically taken over and that DEUS EX, as an IP/FRANCHISE, should not be limited to relics. You understand that a rich IP such as this deserves to go the transmedia route where it'll see its biggest payoff. The other day I read that Canada rakes in over $2 billion from the gaming market and that mobile development leads consoles and the pc. I'm sure other areas with higher consumptions have similar numbers when it comes to mobile.

Thanks for this and I can't wait for updates.

chabbles
5th Jun 2013, 15:58
is this a joke like the april 1st troll attempt ?..... i cant believe what i just watched... way to fall off eidos and sell out at the same time.. to tease this reveal like it was something worth mentioning to real gamers is a slap in the face to your fanbase....
im buying my first ever android device later today, a tablet.. and coming directly from a deus ex fan, how can you degrade a game like this by putting it on a mobile touch screen device, im not in the least excited... wtf is happening to this industry.........

iaxx
We don't want more info. We want you to publicly apologize for this insult and announce that you will drop it entirely; that you will never make another Deus Ex game unless it's on PC. And I don't mean some tablet-quality crap, except also on PC.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea? You've managed to piss off almost your entire ******* fanbase! How stupid would you have to be to not realize how stupid it is? People are sick of getting the finger from management idiots that want quick cash grabs.

It says you're a community manager, so why haven't you even responded to the overwhelmingly negative response? You can see from this very thread that, no, we do not want this trash. Take a look at the youtube likes and dislikes. At the moment, there are 253 likes and 3777 dislikes.

You know what's almost more offensive than this game itself? The way you're giving us the silent treatment. Just keep pretending the backlash isn't there and eventually people will be too tired to keep complaining. Seen it too many times, but it just keeps happening.

This.

raz3r
He's gotta post that stuff as part of his job. It's not his fault, cut him some slack. He's a victim in this too.
The only victim here is Deus Ex, I see absolutely no respect for such a wonderful game, it's like building a Wall Mart over the Colosseum in Rome because... Why not? Come on, this is so silly that I can't even believe it is actually true. Don't even try to defend them.

Sagata
5th Jun 2013, 15:59

This. All of this.

So, hows that PR coming? Yep.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 16:02
You know, it still has the list heavy boxes augment. That says to me that it's intending to be a DX game, but I am skeptical how well it can be that. I question the platform choice.

There is no need to question. It cannot. But the fact there is a Deus Ex movie already planned plus the in-game ads and all that crap should have sparked foresight. A movie cannot do what a game can do, especially not a Immersive Sim.
A mobile game can do it to some extent, but extremely simplified and restricted.
The design of Human Revolution tells a tale also; that they missed the point.

Immersive sims and Deus Ex in particular means little to them, except to put money in their pockets.
Greed, just like we are greedy expecting more Deus Ex, the original is more than enough :)

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 16:05
Well done EM. You guys understand that the mobile market has basically taken over and that DEUS EX, as an IP/FRANCHISE, should not be limited to relics. You understand that a rich IP such as this deserves to go the transmedia route where it'll see its biggest payoff. The other day I read that Canada rakes in over $2 billion from the gaming market and that mobile development leads consoles and the pc. I'm sure other areas with higher consumptions have similar numbers when it comes to mobile.

True. Mobile Market means free moneh right? Angry Birds sold, so lets make Angry Fans! It should sell millions!

Except that it wont. Look at the fanbase reaction, Heresy. Look at the youtube reactions, the facebook page reactions, this forum and all others. Go to /v/. The internet as a whole is spitting on this idea. No one that owns a tablet wants a dense game such as DX, they want something fun and easy to play and that doesnt require more than a few neurons (like Angry Birds!).

That's the same thing as the Wine industry, noticing that Coca Cola sells well, trying to make a carbonated Wine. Its not gonna sell. Just because soda pops sell doesnt mean that every carbonated s**t will sell. Same thing here man.

MachineCult0
5th Jun 2013, 16:05

Yes.

Kvltism
5th Jun 2013, 16:09
We don't want more info. We want you to publicly apologize for this insult...

http://i.imgur.com/L5ojpIy.jpg (http://imgur.com/L5ojpIy)

I'm just as peeved as the next guy, but c'mon... that's a bit much.

Sagata
5th Jun 2013, 16:16
http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1370448860993.jpg

nomotog
5th Jun 2013, 16:17
True. Mobile Market means free moneh right? Angry Birds sold, so lets make Angry Fans! It should sell millions!

Except that it wont. Look at the fanbase reaction, Heresy. Look at the youtube reactions, the facebook page reactions, this forum and all others. Go to /v/. The internet as a whole is spitting on this idea. No one that owns a tablet wants a dense game such as DX, they want something fun and easy to play and that doesnt require more than a few neurons (like Angry Birds!).

That's the same thing as the Wine industry, noticing that Coca Cola sells well, trying to make a carbonated Wine. Its not gonna sell. Just because soda pops sell doesnt mean that every carbonated s**t will sell. Same thing here man.

That is another thing. I can't picture me just pulling this game out on the bus, or on a lunch brake. Mobile games work best when they are simple short blocks that you can pick up and put down. DX isn't something you can pick up and put down at will.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 16:18
Champagne = carbonated wine.

The initial reaction does not mean the final reaction will be similar. This is why you have strong PR and marketing campaign telling the fans the truth about your goods, which direction you're going in etc. All those memes and comments? It's actually good because it shows people are watching and opens things up for discussion.

The game does not have to do Crazy Bird numbers. The game simply has to see a return on investment, not even profit. Why? Because the true purpose is to get the IP on as many different mediums as possible and monetize as a whole.

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 16:20
I haven't been on this forum for like a year and a half, but after hearing about this? I just had to come back.

Wow Eidos. Wow. This is such a hilariously awful idea. My only hope is that you see the massive amounts of negative backlash on here, /v/, facebook, twitter, and the comments on the announcement video, and just scrap the entire thing.

I genuinely cannot understand the logic behind this. I'm just assuming you guys are running low on money and are just hoping for a quick cash in...

Mehb
5th Jun 2013, 16:24
I'm just as peeved as the next guy, but c'mon... that's a bit much.

Insult is the right word. I am utterly sick and tired of all these games getting bastardized for the "wider audience" and to be "more accessible". I'm not alone in thinking that, either.

Tablets and phones are objectively unfit for games like Deus Ex. Touch controls are simply bad for almost every genre out there. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Touch controls aren't precise compared to a mouse, or hell, even a controller. They don't offer any feedback, which is a massive flaw. The only thing touch controls are good for is casual games made specifically to work on touch screens. Anything else has to be dumbed down in order to work on those devices.

Deus Ex is about complexity and immersion. Those are the polar opposites of what tablets and phones offer when it comes to games.

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 16:25
Because the true purpose is to get the IP on as many different mediums as possible and monetize as a whole.
Whose?
I shouldn't care about companies, companies should care about me. There's no way I'm gonna buy this game.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 16:26
Because the true purpose is to get the IP on as many different mediums as possible and monetize as a whole.

That was made clear to all with this announcement, and a interview a while back that I was the only one to challenge surprisingly.

Deus Ex wasn't a game made for the masses, it was made out of passion, dedication... Sure, the monetary gain would have been part of it because everybody needs to make a living but it was not the priority.
To see it abused like this is disgraceful.

Insult is the right word. I am utterly sick and tired of all these games getting bastardized for the "wider audience" and to be "more accessible". I'm not alone in thinking that, either.

I feel the same way, but we should be dignified about it if we want anyone to take us seriously.

b1skit
5th Jun 2013, 16:30
He's gotta post that stuff as part of his job.

;)

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 16:32
http://imgur.com/ypT0WGH

:(

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 16:34
Whose?
I shouldn't care about companies, companies should care about me. There's no way I'm gonna buy this game.

Educate yoursel by googling TRANSMEDIA.

The problem is you, like the majority posting in disgust, aren't seeing the big picture because your emotional connection to relics and entitlement mentality prevent you from being forward thinking. The PC is NOT going to save the franchise. The console can only do so much. They have to branch out now.

besyuziki
5th Jun 2013, 16:35
If DX: The Fall was always meant to be a tablet/phone game which recycles the assets of Human Revolution, why announce it as a new game? To get people excited? Word of mouth? Why not be open about the platforms right from the initial announcement of The Fall?

Being cryptic and incoherent in your marketing jargon only gives people the impression that you don't have long term plans, and you make crucial business decisions based on whatever is flavor of the month at that time, consoles during Human Revolution's development, and now tablets and phones. We all know how this brilliant strategy has helped Square Enix so far. (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/13/square-enix-posts-134m-fiscal-net-loss-projects-profit-for-com/)

Creating a successful game designed specifically for tablets and phones is one thing, and reducing a Deus Ex game to a touchscreen-friendly freakshow is another thing. It was painful to watch Jayeff pretending to like that abomination.

If EM and Square Enix so desperately wanted to expand to mobile, they should have designed mobile games from scratch, using the particular strengths of mobile platforms instead of making a joke of themselves with this low calory Deus Ex.

Kvltism
5th Jun 2013, 16:36
I am utterly sick and tired of all these games getting bastardized for the "wider audience" and to be "more accessible". I'm not alone in thinking that, either.

I agree with the bulk of what you said, and share your disappointment. However, spitting venom at the CM is not going to achieve anything. The DXHR community has been through this kind of thing numerous times. The CM will have clear directives as it pertains to what can be said, and when - while a timely post to address the community's concerns would be wonderful, expecting anything of substance right now seems a bit unrealistic.

Mehb
5th Jun 2013, 16:39
I feel the same way, but we should be dignified about it if we want anyone to take us seriously.

It's not dignity to pretend that a slap in the face isn't a slap in the face.

By the way, I just noticed that you're deleting threads about the disappointment for the game, Edios.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 16:41
It's not dignity to pretend that a slap in the face isn't a slap in the face.

By the way, I just noticed that you're deleting threads about the disappointment for the game, Eidos.

They probably want the DX: Fall discussion contained within a thread or two to avoid spam. In fact, i'm surprised they havent merged all threads into a single "Official The Fall Hate Thread" so far

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 16:41

The problem is you, like the majority posting in disgust, aren't seeing the big picture because your emotional connection to relics and entitlement mentality prevent you from being forward thinking. The PC is NOT going to save the franchise. The console can only do so much. They have to branch out now.

i) The franchise doesn't need saving, the corporation does.
ii) It is a disgrace on the original masterpiece, a product born with the exact opposite principles of monopolization, it was mostly all about the passion.
iii) The corporation is in trouble, but that is not our fault. It's their own for producing some real bad products in recent years.

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 16:42

I don't care

I'd rather pay my way to games I want through Kickstarter.

Jerion
5th Jun 2013, 16:43
They probably want the DX: Fall discussion contained within a thread or two to avoid spam. In fact, i'm surprised they havent merged all threads into a single "Official The Fall Hate Thread" so far

Hey, good idea! Thanks!

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 16:44
That was made clear to all with this announcement, and a interview a while back that I was the only one to challenge surprisingly.

Deus Ex wasn't a game made for the masses, it was made out of passion, dedication... Sure, the monetary gain would have been part of it because everybody needs to make a living but it was not the priority.
To see it abused like this is disgraceful.

The game was made for profit. The game was made for the masses. It simply didn't get to the masses. This is a business and the more uninformed and petulant posts I read the more I'm proven right about the people here. Instead of people looking at it as more DE, which is good, they mock, scorn and insult those who actually made it relevant in TODAYS MARKETS who wants to make it relevant in FUTURE markets.

This thread is VINDICATION for HERESY.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 16:45

This. Deus Ex is still considered widely to be one of the best games ever made. Deus Ex HR had an excellent reception, too, so the franchise is going very well. Square Enix? Not so much.

What surprises me is that out of all the games they have in their roster, they decided to make a mobile game out of DX? Seriously? I'd picked Tomb Raider personally, its much easier to turn it into a tablet game.

Torok
5th Jun 2013, 16:46
i have lost faith.....................................

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 16:47

Oh god, this has happened to so many game series I've loved - Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Lara Croft, Hitman. Eugh. It's why I hate it that companies basically 'reboot' loads of old series now since they can't think of anything new. Bastardize your own IP, not an old favorite!

By the way, I just noticed that you're deleting threads about the disappointment for the game, Eidos.
It's either:

-Maximum damage control
Or
-They're trying to keep all the hate in one thread

Seriously though, Eidos sold over 3 million copies of HR, are they, or rather Square Enix since they've been doing generally awful for the last few years, really that desperate for a quick buck that they'll release a tablet exclusive game (which will play horribly I might add, have you played an FPS on an iPad? Terrible) when a huge portion of their fanbase are PC gamers and now console gamers? It's like they were trying to screw up!

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 16:49
It's either:

-Maximum damage control
Or
-Their trying to keep all the hate in one thread

There aren't merging anymore.
The poll is gone.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 16:50
ii) It is a disgrace on the original masterpiece, a product born with the exact opposite principles of monopolization, it was mostly all about the passion.
iii) The corporation is in trouble, but that is not our fault. It's their own for producing some real bad products in recent years.

1. One or two games will not keep this franchise alive because the numbers aren't there.

2. Your opinion based on your emotional connection to the relics.

3. And? You use whatever revenue streams you have to get you out of the red.

Fox89
5th Jun 2013, 16:52

Very true. We have to remember that Human Revolution sold over 2 million copies, probably more like 3 million by now. That's good by any reasonable standard.

Now I don't object to the existence of an iOS spin off (other than the fact I don't have an iOS device). Hey, maybe it'll even be pretty good. But the way they hyped it up with a teaser trailer was pretty disgusting. The only way people have experienced a Deus Ex game is through PC and consoles, so to hype everyone up for an announcement of a game not on PC or console was just insulting.

Tl;dr: I don't mind that you're doing an iOS spin off. I mind that you got my hopes up.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 16:53
The poll is gone.

Well its not like it was a real poll anyways :D

And? You use whatever revenue streams you have to get you out of the red.

Yeah... maybe this guy and Ilves are right. A DX Tablet game may be a bad idea, but it may fund Deus Ex 4.

or a new legacy of kain game huh huh??

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 16:54
The game was made for profit. The game was made for the masses. It simply didn't get to the masses. This is a business and the more uninformed and petulant posts I read the more I'm proven right about the people here. Instead of people looking at it as more DE, which is good, they mock, scorn and insult those who actually made it relevant in TODAYS MARKETS who wants to make it relevant in FUTURE markets.

HERESY, it is you who is uninformed. Do we really need to start this again?

There are many instances I can cite, but just this will do to avoid attempting to educate the arrogant: Warren Spector was approached and asked if he wanted to make his "Dream game". Maybe those who provided the funding wanted to cash in, but it wasn't Spector's goal at all.
He also has repeated multiple times that he doesn't want to abuse a brand name, he just wants to get creative and leave his mark.
And Deus Ex was a success back in 2000. It earned around 50 GOTY awards and blew most who played it away. Spector could have abused this opportunity if he wanted to.
There is more, but you haven't even played the game to see the passion embedded within. Good day, troll.

-Neon-
5th Jun 2013, 16:55
I'd like to know what Warren Spector/the original DX team has to say about all this.

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 16:55
This is just another example of Square being completely tone-deaf to what their customers actually want. It's like a business exec just went "mobile is the future!" without really thinking about what that means or what kinds of games make sense in that space. I'm all for a mobile Deus Ex spinoff, but this is just the wrong way to do it. This should be an "expandalone" title for the core systems ala Blood Dragon or Gunslinger.

Mehb
5th Jun 2013, 16:57
The problem is you, like the majority posting in disgust, aren't seeing the big picture because your emotional connection to relics and entitlement mentality prevent you from being forward thinking.

Do you really think we can't see through your BS? What you mean when you say "forward thinking" is "appealing to the lowest common denominator". Don't even pretend that that's not what you mean. What you're saying is that companies should strive for the highest possible profit for the lowest possible cost, quality be damned. And sure, that makes sense if you're the sort of subhuman filth that only looks at things from a business standpoint. However, not everyone wants low quality products just so companies can profit more.

You know the world is absurd when there are people who genuinely think that consumers shouldn't be complaining about trash products. No, we don't care if the high-ups want to make more money, we want higher quality products. Those who produce should be required to raise the quality in order to keep selling; the consumers shouldn't be required to lower their standards because the producers want to keep selling.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:00
HERESY, it is you who is uninformed. Do we really need to start this again?

There are many instances I can cite, but just this will do to avoid attempting to educate the arrogant: Warren Spector was approached and asked if he wanted to make his "Dream game".
He also has repeated multiple times that he doesn't want to abuse a brand name, he just wants to get creative and leave his mark.
And Deus Ex was a success back in 2000. It earned around 50 GOTY awards and blew most who played it away. Spector could have abused this opportunity if he wanted to.
There is more, but you haven't even played the game to see the passion embedded within. Good day, troll.

You can start it but you'll be one of the first to report me like you guys always do when I respond.

Again, the game was made FOR PROFIT by a TEAM WHO GOT PAID who worked for a FOR PROFIT company. FACT.

How's EPIC MICKEY for a mark?

Then I get called a troll for always saying to look at the big picture?

Fox89
5th Jun 2013, 17:02
You can start it but you'll be one of the first to report me like you guys always do when I respond.

Again, the game was made FOR PROFIT by a TEAM WHO GOT PAID who worked for a FOR PROFIT company. FACT.

Ooooh, it was made for profit. That's all right then, that makes this news not suck.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 17:03

Yes, they got payed, but again, money wasn't the primary motivation. Not everybody shares the mentality that money is everything.

And Epic Mickey? I bet you haven't even played that either. Nor have I, but Spector likes Mickey and wanted to make a Mickey game, if that is what he wanted to do then great. I'd probably jump at the chance to make a pokemon game, I used to love that game on the gameboy when I was a kid, heck I'd probably jump at the chance to make any game, but my primary motivation is passion, not money.

And no, I have never reported you. I have never reported anybody ever, we are just having a discussion.

Shralla
This is a complete joke. Why would you even release a teaser for such a bull**** nothing game? Because you knew that nobody would be excited about this at all and you had to drive up interest somehow?

Give me a break. I could swear that you guys are literally just messing with us at this point. Square Enix and Eidos Montreal don't give a crap about Deus Ex. It's Squeenix's best-selling new title except for Tomb Raider, and in their minds that means it has the most potential to be whored out, so that's what they're doing.

I realize that a lot of big companies are operating on the cash cow mentality right now, but I thought Squeenix had that invested in Final Fantasy.

A ******* MOBILE GAME, SERIOUSLY?

HERESY
Ooooh, it was made for profit. That's all right then, that makes this news not suck.

We were talking about the original.

raz3r

If that means screwing the franchise I'd rather not see another Deus Ex again. This MAY BE a good marketing stuff for newcomers but it's a total disaster for those who really love the franchise. We're talking about Deus Ex here not some random AAA game. It's a matter of RESPECT. Respect for a milestone of videogames, respect for the people who made that possible.

-Neon-
5th Jun 2013, 17:05

Deus Ex was made by a team who
A. really believed they were making a top quality, one-of-a-kind product
B. actually had a passion for what they making
C. wanted to make some money on top of all of that

With "The Fall," it seems like money-making was the priority over everything else here.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:07
Yes, they got payed, but again, money wasn't the primary motivation. Not everybody shares the mentality that money is everything.

It's all about money.

And Epic Mickey? I bet you haven't even played that either.

Why the hell would I play it? Why did YOU play it is what you should ask yourself.

Shralla
5th Jun 2013, 17:09
The worst part is that they're making it a timed exclusive to a dying platform. Android has a bigger market share than iOS now, and they're not even putting it on that from the outset?

And NO word about Windows devices?

This looks way better than your crappy mobile game, Eidos. Why would anybody want a dumbed down version of the full game on their mobile device? You're supposed to make specific games not just crappy ports of your real game. Human Defiance would have been a much better choice!

BxsYQtltOco

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 17:09
Hey guize, don't you know that games sposed to make moneyz and therefore all decisions made by game companies are super smart always cuz money.

Fox89
5th Jun 2013, 17:10
We were talking about the original.

So you were! I apologise for jumping to incorrect conclusions. In regards to the original, saying 'it's made for profit' is accurate but does not really encompass all of it. Back in the day games were cheaper to make, so it was easier to be successful by simply catering to your little niche. As a result the publisher could just give you a budget and say get on with it.

With the inflated budgets of today, publishers feel more and more pressing need to 'expand' their audience. Which... doesn't really seem to be working all that well for most of them.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:11
Deus Ex was made by a team who
A. really believed they were making a top quality, one-of-a-kind product
B. actually had a passion for what they making
C. wanted to make some money on top of all of that

With "The Fall," it seems like money-making was the priority over everything else here.

I'll say this again, the franchise will die if it stays in one or two markets. BTW, C comes first.

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 17:11
Man, I bet this really wasn't the reaction they were hoping for.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 17:12
Heresy succesfully derailed the thread into a Warren Spector/Epic Mickey hate thread. Wow guys.

A *** MOBILE GAME, SERIOUSLY?

Welcome to the party. Here's your obligatory party gear (http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/mans-hand-holding-up-pitchfork-against-blue-sky-sami-sarkis.jpg)!

-Neon-
5th Jun 2013, 17:12
I'll say this again, the franchise will die if it stays in one or two markets. BTW, C comes first.

C should come alongside A and B.
C coming first is why we have so many "As Seen on TV" products.

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 17:13
Hey guize, don't you know that games sposed to make moneyz and therefore all decisions made by game companies are super smart always cuz money.

Well put.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:15
So you were! I apologise for jumping to incorrect conclusions. In regards to the original, saying 'it's made for profit' is accurate but does not really encompass all of it. Back in the day games were cheaper to make, so it was easier to be successful by simply catering to your little niche. As a result the publisher could just give you a budget and say get on with it.

With the inflated budgets of today, publishers feel more and more pressing need to 'expand' their audience. Which... doesn't really seem to be working all that well for most of them.

Apologies accepted.

The thing is this is a mobile title and so the development costs are going to be lower. Just treat the game as an addition to the franchise and as a step towards growth.

raz3r
5th Jun 2013, 17:15
It's all about money.
Correct, but since they are screwing with some good ******* piece of art I think I have all the rights to come here and express my disappointment. In the end they will never admit it, hypocrisy is leading the new age of videogames and it was just a matter of time for Deus Ex. Human Revolution was probably the last chance they had, considering Invisible War's ending I don't think we have space for another Deus Ex, do we? So yes, let's squeeze what remains until we can, get some money and then forget Deus Ex ever existed. Guess we'd better reinstall Deus Ex, shall we?

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:17
Heresy succesfully derailed the thread into a Warren Spector/Epic Mickey hate thread. Wow guys.

Welcome to the party. Here's your obligatory party gear (http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/mans-hand-holding-up-pitchfork-against-blue-sky-sami-sarkis.jpg)!

I wasn't the one who introduced WS to the thread.

Check your facts, kid.

Fox89
5th Jun 2013, 17:19
Apologies accepted.

The thing is this is a mobile title and so the development costs are going to be lower. Just treat the game as an addition to the franchise and as a step towards growth.

Honestly, I kinda am. The only reason I'm irritated by it is the fact they put a teaser up and got me all excited, and now it turns out to be a spin-off on devices I don't own. If they had just announced it today without giving me the opportunity to dream of greater things, I would have greeted the news with simple disinterest instead of hostility.

At the end of the day I won't mind as long as they still continue to make proper Deus Ex. But with Square Enix being as they are at the moment I don't exactly have a ton of confidence in that.

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 17:20
I think everyone will be a lot happier if they just ignore the game and think of it as something to fund Deus Ex 4.

Shralla
5th Jun 2013, 17:20
Oh, and can I take the time to point out that EVERYBODY ON FACEBOOK THINKS THIS IDEA SUCKS TOO (https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544)

This is the kind of crap that's supposed to appeal to the "casual facebook fan," and even they're up-in-arms. So who is this for, exactly?

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 17:22
Oh, and can I take the time to point out that EVERYBODY ON FACEBOOK THINKS THIS IDEA SUCKS TOO (https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544)

Already been pointed out in one of the other threads, man.
Hell, just look at this forum, twitter, anywhere really. Everyone hates it.

But, this franchise is the only thing Square has going for them at the moment - it's no surprise they'd try and milk it.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:23
SNIPPED...

I'm not providing in depth classic posts to new members. Don't take it personal.

-Neon-
5th Jun 2013, 17:24
Had we not been shafted already with the Directors Cut being sold only on the poorly selling WiiU, I don't think there would have been so much backlash. But between that, the April Fools joke, and this, I think the DX fanbase has a right to be angry.

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 17:27
Correct, but since they are screwing with some good ******* piece of art I think I have all the rights to come here and express my disappointment. In the end they will never admit it, hypocrisy is leading the new age of videogames and it was just a matter of time for Deus Ex. Human Revolution was probably the last chance they had, considering Invisible War's ending I don't think we have space for another Deus Ex, do we? So yes, let's squeeze what remains until we can, get some money and then forget Deus Ex ever existed. Guess we'd better reinstall Deus Ex, shall we?

I don't even see how this is a good business decision. They're releasing a game that has no built-in fanbase on the mobile platform. Mobile has the highest install base of any gaming platform, but it also has by far the most competitive market. At $7 a pop, they'll need to sell 150,000 copies per million dollars of gross.

So the next question is, how much does a game like this cost to make? The visuals are more or less on the same level of HR, which means they're paying programmers, designers, animators, modelers, VAs, etc. This game is probably going to cost them at least a few million dollars, but let's be conservative and say $2 million, including marketing.

At $7 a pop, they need to sell 285,000 copies just to break even. And in reality, way more, since various parties will be taking a cut of that. Can they do that? Maybe, maybe not. But it's clear that isn't a financial slam dunk by any stretch.

Jordasm
5th Jun 2013, 17:28
Had we not been shafted already with the Directors Cut being sold only on the poorly selling WiiU, I don't think there would have been so much backlash. But between that, the April Fools joke, and this, I think the DX fanbase has a right to be angry.

Eugh, don't even bring the Directors cut up. Seriously - improved boss fights, graphics, and The Missing Link is integrated into the main game? Can they really not just add all this stuff for those of us that already have it for PC/Console in a patch or something?

Did people actually get angry about the April Fools thing? I thought it was pretty cool, tbh I'd rather have 'Human Defiance' on a tablet than this.

-Neon-
5th Jun 2013, 17:31
Eugh, don't even bring the Directors cut up. Seriously - improved boss fights, graphics, and The Missing Link is integrated into the main game? Can they really not just add all this stuff for those of us that already have it for PC/Console in a patch or something?

Did people actually get angry about the April Fools thing? I thought it was pretty cool, tbh I'd rather have that on a tablet than this.

It's more-so the fact that when we spotted the trademarks, we knew nothing about them other than them being Deus Ex related. Now all we've gotten is a spoof game (which honestly no one should've been surprised with) under the name of one of those trademarks, and an unwanted mobile game under the other.

People speculated that Human Defiance was the movie, and as far as we know, it's just a April Fools joke.

Fox89
I don't even see how this is a good business decision. They're releasing a game that has no built-in fanbase on the mobile platform. Mobile has the highest install base of any gaming platform, but it also has by far the most competitive market. At $7 a pop, they'll need to sell 150,000 copies per million dollars of gross.

So the next question is, how much does a game like this cost to make? The visuals are more or less on the same level of HR, which means they're paying programmers, designers, animators, modelers, VAs, etc. This game is probably going to cost them at least a few million dollars, but let's be conservative and say $2 million, including marketing.

At $7 a pop, they need to sell 285,000 copies just to break even. And in reality, way more, since various parties will be taking a cut of that. Can they do that? Maybe, maybe not. But it's clear that isn't a financial slam dunk by any stretch.

Good post, although bear in mind two things that will keep the cost way down:

1) It's likely to be much shorter that DX:HR.
2) It's likely going to use a hell of a lot of assets from DX:HR, everything from 3d models and animations to sound effects and even complete game systems will be lifted wholesale and tweaked to work on mobile.

So it should take a much smaller team a much smaller amount of time to make than a full PC/Console release. That being said, I wouldn't say your $2 million esetimate was unreasonable.

sadmachine
Thumbs down. How much longer are they going to jerk us around before they announce a real game?

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:32
Honestly, I kinda am. The only reason I'm irritated by it is the fact they put a teaser up and got me all excited, and now it turns out to be a spin-off on devices I don't own. If they had just announced it today without giving me the opportunity to dream of greater things, I would have greeted the news with simple disinterest instead of hostility.

At the end of the day I won't mind as long as they still continue to make proper Deus Ex. But with Square Enix being as they are at the moment I don't exactly have a ton of confidence in that.

See, you're being reasonable. EM did the fans and franchise a service and made it relevant in todays markets. Why not rally behind them? With transmedia you're going to miss out if you don't own the small devices. I missed out on DS and ME content but the meat of the IP was on a platform it was really designed for.

I'm just telling you guys to have faith and look at this as a positive step towards an excellent transmedia experience.

Snake04
This crap disappoints me on a new level. I rather play IW that this crap.

raz3r

I don't think they're going to invest this kind of money on a mobile game, I think you're wrong, probably they re-used much of the material they already had and started from there. Building a game on iOS does not require the same time/resources of a PC/Console game. Also, they didn't spend any money for marketing, it's not like there's going to be a TV commercial on ABC tomorrow.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 17:42
I'm just telling you guys to have faith and look at this as a positive step towards an excellent transmedia experience.

Yeah right, if they give me one piece of these mini-media experiences that even comes close to the quality of Deus Ex my mind would be blown all over again as it was when I played the original 6 years ago and i'll shut up, or better yet tell everybody to get the game (funny how that works).

This is just a wasted opportunity and a disgrace to the name. I'm sure it may be good for what it is, but it's not Deus Ex. HR just barely scraped by as worthy to the name, and that's only because of Invisible War. And the passion was there to actually attempt to make an excellent Deus Ex game. Attempting to make Deus Ex as simple as possible is the opposite.

This transmedia push is just a money making opportunity for Square-Enix, nothing more.

sonicsidewinder
5th Jun 2013, 17:45
Hmmm...

I guess it's kinda "technically" impressive? For a tablet game. I'd assume that the people who read Swallow's novel might have been more excited.

But I havn't read it, nor do I have a tablet. Nor would I buy one just for this game. Would it run on an Xperia S when released for Android? Even if it did, it would burn up the battery in a few hours.

I see no reason why this couldn't be on PC as well as mobile devices if it uses HR's game assets. If it was the same game yet just on PC, I think people would be more happy, especially those who read the novel.

But as it is, I feel no reason to get excited.

I've only been getting into mobile gaming recently for when commuting on the train. Even then, half of the games suck, and the rest are only fun for a short while. The most fun i've had is playing emulated games I own while on the move, but with that, only a select few are viable for playing effectively on a touch screen device.

I found Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a blast to play through. Yet playing Metroid: Zero Mission is too dificult, as it's dependant on nimble use of the GBA's shoulder buttons. Bloody hard on a touchscreen device.

I can only see "The Fall" being a pain in the arse to controll too.

In any case: OH WELL. Isn't there another reveal to look forward to?

Oniros
5th Jun 2013, 17:49
Why iOS? If you're gonna make a portable game, why not 3DS or Vita? You know, something with actual BUTTONS. :mad2:

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:49
Yeah right, if they give me one piece of these mini-media experiences that even comes close to the quality of Deus Ex my mind would be blown all over again as it was when I played the original 6 years ago and i'll shut up, or better yet tell everybody to get the game (funny how that works).

It's a wasted opportunity and a disgrace to the name.
It's just a money making opportunity for Square-Enix, nothing more.

People who think like you kill companies and franchises. You won't get more of what you love if they stick to the same format. There needs to be room for growth and innovation and you do that by branching out. Stop looking at it as a disgrace.

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 17:50
I found Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a blast to play through.

2D Masterpiece.

People who think like you kill companies and franchises. You won't get more of what you love if they stick to the same format. There needs to be room for growth and innovation and you do that by branching out. Stop looking at it as a disgrace.

Lol, Deus Ex was innovation. Spector was all about Innovation. Looking Glass was all about innovation, not rehashes.
Unfortunately, being a pioneer does have its risks. Ultimately these risks contributed to LookingGlass’ inability to continue forward. For the sake of our fans, and for the future of the game industry at large, we hope that the demise of groups like ours will not dissuade other game developers and publishers from the path of innovation. While doing better looking versions of last year’s hit titles may be a short term path to success, to thrive and grow the game industry must take some creative risks and continue to innovate.
This? It's just a huge step back. But that is the way of the industry these days in most cases.
Deus Ex on mobile will provide minimal innovation.

lmprv
5th Jun 2013, 17:51
On one hand, I don't care. I had low expectations and was expecting a mobile game, and I understand that they're a business and need to make money, and all that. And I'm sure this will help to fund future proper Eidos-Montreal games.

On the other hand - and I can only speak personally here - it's a big chunk of story that I just won't simply get to play. I've read Icarus Effect twice; played DXHR and TML over and over; analyzed every clue and story detail. But I don't own an iPad (only an android smartphone) so i'll never get to play it. Maybe as both aa obsessive fan and someone who doesn't own an iPad, I'm not part of some profitable demographic, and I simply don't matter, and I understand that, and am content with it. But personally I can't help feeling a little alienated and less emotionally invested from the Deus Ex universe now knowing that I can't experience everything that I'm curious about.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 17:52
The moment when the joke game Human Defiance would probably sell a lot, specially much more than their real game >_>

sonicsidewinder
5th Jun 2013, 17:57
2D Masterpiece.

Word.

But I don't own an iPad (only an android smartphone) so i'll never get to play it. Maybe as both aa obsessive fan and someone who doesn't own an iPad, I'm not part of some profitable demographic, and I simply don't matter, and I understand that, and am content with it. But personally I can't help feeling a little alienated and less emotionally invested from the Deus Ex universe now knowing that I can't experience everything that I'm curious about.

Sad mate. I see no reason why this can't one day be on PC though. This'll just be some profit drive for the tablet market (for now).

They only owe it to people like you who DID buy everything and got invested in the universe.

The moment when the joke game Human Defiance would probably sell a lot, specially much more than their real game >_>

Dat Feel.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 17:58
On one hand, I don't care. I had low expectations and was expecting a mobile game, and I understand that they're a business and need to make money, and all that. And I'm sure this will help to fund future proper Eidos-Montreal games.

On the other hand - and I can only speak personally here - it's a big chunk of story that I just won't simply get to play. I've read Icarus Effect twice; played DXHR and TML over and over; analyzed every clue and story detail. But I don't own an iPad (only an android smartphone) so i'll never get to play it. Maybe as both aa obsessive fan and someone who doesn't own an iPad, I'm not part of some profitable demographic, and I simply don't matter, and I understand that, and am content with it. But personally I can't help feeling a little alienated and less emotionally invested from the Deus Ex universe now knowing that I can't experience everything that I'm curious about.

This is the downside of transmedia but you actually get whats going on.

AlexOfSpades
5th Jun 2013, 17:58
The global Deus Ex community right now in a nutshell

http://romesblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tumblr_m2ntwbtijP1qgb79mo1_12801.jpg

Snake04
5th Jun 2013, 18:00

Lol true

Shralla
5th Jun 2013, 18:01
Games like this exist, and Square Enix thinks we want a game like The Fall.

q9d5ht7mQUU

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 18:03

You got it backwards. Companies die because they miscalculate, become bloated and fail to meet the needs of the customers. And they take franchises with them.

ResonanceCascade
5th Jun 2013, 18:06
I don't think they're going to invest this kind of money on a mobile game, I think you're wrong, probably they re-used much of the material they already had and started from there. Building a game on iOS does not require the same time/resources of a PC/Console game. Also, they didn't spend any money for marketing, it's not like there's going to be a TV commercial on ABC tomorrow.

If it took 10 people who are making an average of $50K a year and a half to make, you're already at $750k on salaries alone. And it doesn't matter if they re-use assets, those assets still need to be primed and fixed for the new platform. The gameplay still needs to be redesigned for the touch controls. The UI needs to be re-designed. It needs new sounds, new voice overs, a new score, etc. These things add up very quickly. Getting that engine to function properly on iOS and Android? Costs many Canadian dollars.

Also, there's no such thing as spending no money on marketing. They're creating videos, sending out spokespeople, showing it off at E3...none of these things are cheap.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 18:07
You got it backwards. Companies die because they miscalculate, become bloated and fail to meet the needs of the customers. And they take franchises with them.

I got it right, kid.

ION STORM is proof of what I'm saying. The guys who made TWD are proof as well.

Ilves
5th Jun 2013, 18:14

[YOUTUBE]vid[youtube]

Could do with a little visual spice, but that gameplay looks like a ton of fun.

xaduha2
5th Jun 2013, 18:15
I got it right, kid.

:lol:

ION STORM is proof of what I'm saying. The guys who made TWD are proof as well.
Logic is on my side, you got nothing.

Stellazira
5th Jun 2013, 18:18
I have read Icarus Effect and it was really great, for a book. It was probably cheaper to adapt an already-made story for the game to keep costs down, but now why would someone who has read the book be interested in the game now? I already know what's going to happen, who the players are, and how things add extra background to Human Revolution.

I see mobile games as something you need to be able to stop quickly because you're mobile: you're on the bus, waiting for the bus, doing something in between classes, etc. I don't think you could really get the opportunity to get "into" the game. DX is a deep game and making it complicated just makes it harder to put it down, which is why I believe some franchises belong on certain platforms.

The thing is mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc) are a place to make money, and you see a lot of companies trying to take advantage of it. To ignore that market would be stupid, but you also need to understand what it is and what it's capable of. You need to make sure the games are played well on that platform and not trying to be a shadow of another, naturally more capable one.

I have an Android device, but I won't buy it. I know the story and I'm not a real fan of mobile games. Even if I were to decide I wanted it, I'd probably have to get a different device and I'd like a bigger screen, neither of which I see happening any time soon. I'd rather play on a PC or a PS3.

Now, if they were to release it on Vita (which has a touchscreen ;) ) and had some sort of cross-play with a TBA DX game which is released on PS4/X1/PC, that would be cool. :D

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 18:19

q9d5ht7mQUU

If it had gone 2D you and others would have said it ruined immersion and that FP was an absolute requirement. In fact, when I was saying they could pull off a 2D title you were one of the ones complaining. Now look at you, lol.

Logic is on my side, you got nothing.

No it isn't, but believe what you want.

Bomba
5th Jun 2013, 18:20
Ahh, I'm so disappointed, seeing my favorite game getting raped

Irony
5th Jun 2013, 18:26
but now why would someone who has read the book be interested in the game now? I already know what's going to happen, who the players are, and how things add extra background to Human Revolution.

Didnt they say it took off where the book ended, essentially being BASED off of it, not replicating it?

Stellazira
5th Jun 2013, 18:28
Didnt they say it took off where the book ended, essentially being BASED off of it, not replicating it?

My bad, it appears to be that way. In which case, there isn't a lot of time between the book and HR, but I suppose HR took place over only a few days...

zocom7
5th Jun 2013, 19:26
No one asked for this. A bad surprise for the beginning of the end of this great series. The Fall is the correct sub-title but it's also the fall to the series that most gamers are asking for what they want.

DaedalusIcarusHelios
5th Jun 2013, 19:29
I was initially disappointed because I was hoping for a new PC game or at least some DLC for Human Revolution. But I assume that a sequel is in the works and we just don't know anything about it (and it's likely a ways off).

I read the book and the concept of the game sounds fun, especially since it is fleshing out the DX universe. I don't have a problem with portable games so much, as I play many games on my tablet (a BlackBerry PlayBook). So I could see myself playing the game, but unfortunately this game is for iOS. Eventually, Android devices too, apparently. But that leaves us Windows and BlackBerry users out of the loop, unless they are porting versions for those too (or maybe if lucky, at least the Android version APK file will convert to BAR file for PlayBook/BlackBerry 10).

furydeath
5th Jun 2013, 19:32
Well another one I'll never play not cause I don't want to but spending $200-$500 on one game is a little much for me.

hellrasinbrasin
5th Jun 2013, 20:05
...I'll be buying this because I like the series. Now weather or not we will see a Deus Ex title for the PS4 is up for debate. If Square Enix and Eidos are going to do a Deus Ex Title for the PS4/XBox-One they're going to base that decision on what the sales figures total to for both The Directors Cut and The Fall. You want Deus Ex IV then buy the games.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 20:08
Another person who gets it.

Shralla
5th Jun 2013, 20:10
If Square Enix and Eidos are going to do a Deus Ex Title for the PS4/XBox-One they're going to base that decision on what the sales figures total to for both The Directors Cut and The Fall.

Uh... Why? You think they should gauge interest for an actual sequel based on the sales of a ****ty tablet game and a version coming out on a system that NOBODY owns? That is literally the STUPIDEST thing they could possibly base that on, and you even saying that makes me think you're some kind of viral marketer for Square Enix who's desperately trying to get us to buy these pathetic excuses for games.

hellrasinbrasin
5th Jun 2013, 20:16
I've never really bought the exclusivity argument. I've always believed that companies will release their product on whatever system they damn well choose to as it expands consumer awareness of the product.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 20:18
I think he meant partially but he gets it. You won't keep a franchise like this alive if you don't expand. The mobile title can introduce DX to those who've never heard of the franchise. Good job, EM.

I've never really bought the exclusivity argument. I've always believed that companies will release their product on whatever system they damn well choose to as it expands consumer awareness of the product.

Indeed. You definitely get it.

JCpies
5th Jun 2013, 20:21
My reaction when I see the revealed art...
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/0981ce62af5dbf2f230646db6d6b80dc/tumblr_mi4dpfQICP1rjxfbno1_500.gif

My reaction when I see 'deus-ex-the-fall-is-a-mobile-game' in a URL...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3013583_o.gif

Spyhopping
5th Jun 2013, 20:22
Despite getting myself excited for a full "DX4" announcement and not owning a tablet I'm still intrigued. I really enjoyed the Icarus effect- I've even gone and read it twice, and I only occasionally give that privilege to a novel. Also, I didn't realise that tablet games could look quite that good.

It just shows that a DX4 release in the future is a very clear possibility. This bit of character art is fun. Saxon looks a bit like AJ with a hair cut and a half shave.

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/data/extensions_data/square_articles/a/4/f/a/7/3337//large_image.jpg

Ilves
5th Jun 2013, 20:33
Saxon reminds me of Jean Reno. :confused:

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 20:34
I think he meant partially but he gets it. You won't keep a franchise like this alive if you don't expand. The mobile title can introduce DX to those who've never heard of the franchise. Good jom, EM.

I'd rather see it die.

I agree with the poster who was saying the platform argument is invalid, but that is not what angers me, it's blatantly using the IP for a cash grab. And the fact that they made it as simple as possible for the touch pad, so this platform choice is a questionable one..
It's all just a wasted opportunity and a disgrace.

MasterTaffer
5th Jun 2013, 20:37
Saxon reminds me of Jean Reno. :confused:

Now I can't unsee that!

hellrasinbrasin
5th Jun 2013, 20:39
I'd rather see it die.

Then for you it would be a wait and see approach to see via YT what the walkthrough of the game itself brings to the table then.

Ilves
5th Jun 2013, 20:41
Now I can't unsee that!

I am so, so sorry!

;P

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 20:48
I'd rather see it die.

See, I'm vindicated once again. Here it is I speak the TRUTH, get called a troll but now you ADMIT that you would rather see the franchise die! You're saying, and behaving, exactly as I said years ago. But don't worry because you aren't the only one.

I'm glad the other members, mods and admins are seeing this because it's great to finally have vindication and for people such as yourself to prove me right time and time again. :rasp:

I agree with the poster who was saying the platform argument is invalid, but that is not what angers me, it's blatantly using the IP for a cash grab. And the fact that they made it as simple as possible for the touch pad, so this platform choice is a questionable one.. It's all just a wasted opportunity and a disgrace.

It is not a wasted opportunity and disgrace. It's a good opportunity and the game looks good. They're doing the franchise a service. Have you read the IE? It's a good read and I wouldn't mind playing as Ben. I don't own an iPad, I do however own a phone running android, but if I don't get to play it so be it. It's transmedia, I understand it, so I can't whine, call for people to be fired, troll the internet in disgust, etc. No entitlement mentality here my friend. Just a good understanding of business and the ability to keep it real.

Zoet
5th Jun 2013, 21:13
Despite getting myself excited for a full "DX4" announcement and not owning a tablet I'm still intrigued. I really enjoyed the Icarus effect- I've even gone and read it twice, and I only occasionally give that privilege to a novel. Also, I didn't realise that tablet games could look quite that good.

It just shows that a DX4 release in the future is a very clear possibility. This bit of character art is fun. Saxon looks a bit like AJ with a hair cut and a half shave.

As an iPad owner and a fan of Deus Ex, am I allowed to say that I'm still a little excited? I was hoping for a full console/pc game just as much as anyone here, but at least its not a facebook based farmville clone. Far worse things have been done in the name of bringing console franchises to iOS.
Tablet games have been able to look pretty good for quite some time, its just that it is mostly an indie development scene so that restricts the scope of a lot of games released there, and I don't think that we've seen a big company release a new title that was truly ambitious.

Spyhopping
5th Jun 2013, 21:16
I think it'll be good fun, and it'll be good to see where story will go after the events of the book. Looking forward to playing it (on someone else's tablet :P).

CyberP
5th Jun 2013, 21:25
See, I'm vindicated once again. Here it is I speak the TRUTH, get called a troll but now you ADMIT that you would rather see the franchise die! You're saying, and behaving, exactly as I said years ago. But don't worry because you aren't the only one.

I haven't seen these relic posts from years back so I have no idea what you are talking about.

It is not a wasted opportunity and disgrace. It's a good opportunity and the game looks good. They're doing the franchise a service.

We shall see about that, but attempting to make it as simple as possible and lock-on targeting is a terrible start. They have already failed.

No entitlement mentality here my friend. Just a good understanding of business and the ability to keep it real.

I am not entitled to anything, Deus Ex is. Ion storm is.

Caradoc
5th Jun 2013, 21:29
I just logged in here to express my utmost dissapointment. I was expecting a pc / next generation console title, but all we got is some ******* mobile game. I'm sorry to be so vulgar, but I don't "get" the joy of mobile gaming and I'm not least bit intrested in mobile gaming.

Jeez, what a letdown and dissapointment! Thanks for nothing Eidos Montreal. I'm not obviously part of your target audience anymore.

ps: I loved DX:HR and thats why this new direction feels so wrong. I hope that we'll get a full dx sequel later, but currently I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Spyhopping
5th Jun 2013, 21:31
They're targeting a new audience that they might not already have reached, but that doesn't mean they've abandoned other audiences by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't seen these relic posts from years back so I have no idea what you are talking about.

We shall see about that, but attempting to make it as simple as possible and lock-on targeting is a terrible start. They have already failed.

What have EM failed at?

I disagree with your point about entitlement for DX and Ion Storm. Ion Storm are now a non-entity, and Deus Ex as a franchise..? Well, I think it's just exciting that there are new games being made for it, and so many resources are being poured into the IP. They did an excellent job with HR.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 21:31
I haven't seen these classic posts so I have no idea what you are talking about.

There are over 600 of them. Use the sites search feature.

What's wrong with simplicity? You're playing a $7 game on a TABLET for crying out loud! Simplicity is KEY for the device. BTW, lock on targeting does NOT have to be used.

So stop whining and behaving as if you are entitled. Ion Storm is entitled to NOTHING. Did they make the game relevant in todays market? Did they keep the franchise alive? No to both questions.

Doom972
5th Jun 2013, 21:41
I'd rather see it die.

I agree with the poster who was saying the platform argument is invalid, but that is not what angers me, it's blatantly using the IP for a cash grab. And the fact that they made it as simple as possible for the touch pad, so this platform choice is a questionable one..
It's all just a wasted opportunity and a disgrace.

I agree. We have very few franchises like Deus Ex and I don't like it getting that Halo treatment of milking every penny out of it and ruining its long-term image in the process.

I can see the soft drink cross promotion around the corner...

Zoet
5th Jun 2013, 22:06
...What have EM failed at?

I disagree with your point about entitlement for DX and Ion Storm. Ion Storm are now a non-entity, and Deus Ex as a franchise..? Well, I think it's just exciting that there are new games being made for it, and so many resources are being poured into the IP. They did an excellent job with HR.

Well, by the reaction on this site it seems that they've failed at marketing! ;)
Well, I'll be buying it, its only cheap.

chabbles
5th Jun 2013, 22:26
...I'll be buying this because I like the series. Now weather or not we will see a Deus Ex title for the PS4 is up for debate. If Square Enix and Eidos are going to do a Deus Ex Title for the PS4/XBox-One they're going to base that decision on what the sales figures total to for both The Directors Cut and The Fall. You want Deus Ex IV then buy the games.

I wont buy it, if they released HR directors cut for pc id buy that again though... a game like this on a touch screen device is a joke, and the argument that it could fund a real game is just bs. If they want to make a proper game but cant afford it, kickstart it and the funding would flow in bucket fulls .. Or, better yet stop messing about and make a proper game with the funding they have at their disposal right now...
This is just a quick cash in, like the missing link dlc that should of been in the vanilla game..

ZakKa89
5th Jun 2013, 22:45
Well, for a mobile game it looks amazing. No android though... :(

MasterTaffer
5th Jun 2013, 22:46
Well, for a mobile game it looks amazing. No android though... :(

Android is coming according to the Community blog post here: Link (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Announced)

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 22:47
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/free-mobile-players-are-largest-group-of-gamers-in-us

And IGN just posted a new article proving me right yet again.

Get with the times people.

Ashpolt
5th Jun 2013, 23:09
This is....and I'll be diplomatic here...interesting.

Suffice to say that if I were in charge of the Deus Ex franchise - which, alas, I'm not - this is not the direction I would've taken. This seems to me to be either an order from On High or a massive misunderstanding of the market - or both. It's not so much about the difference between people who play games like Deus Ex and the people who play games on tablets - it's perfectly possible to fall into both camps, like I do - but the disconnect is with what kinds of games people play on tablets, and why. I play Deus Ex, and I love it. I play games on my tablet, and love many of them (Warhammer Quest FTW!). But I still balk at the idea of playing Deus Ex on a tablet. Why?

The main benefit of tablets is that they're portable, and so ideal for filling in the odd 5 minute break here, 20 minute train journey there, etc. What they're not good for is extended play sessions - and Deus Ex games (or at least any DX games I will ever want to play) are the kinds of game you want to immerse yourself in for hours at a time. Trying to chop an existing Deus Ex title into 10 minute bitesize chunks would ruin it, and on the other side of the coin, starting with a design brief of "can be played in 10 minute bitesize chunks" means you're incredibly unlikely to end up with anything resembling a Deus Ex game. And that's the main issue I have: almost by design, this is either going to be a bad Deus Ex game - in which case, why call it Deus Ex? - or a bad tablet game, in which case why make it for tablets?

...And let's not even get started on trying to control a game as (relatively) complex as Deus Ex on a touchscreen. That's a whole other can of worms.

I'll keep an eye on this and reserve judgement until I've had a chance to play it for myself, of course, but at the moment it's going to have to do a hell of a lot to win me over. Far more than DXHR had to do, because this has to convince me not only that it's a good game (and - yes! - a good Deus Ex game) but also that the entire platform it's based on can be suitable for a Deus Ex game.

So, you know, good luck EM.

And please announce a proper sequel to DXHR soon.

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 00:01
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/free-mobile-players-are-largest-group-of-gamers-in-us

Free games is the largest segment in the population? I'm pretty confident free hot dogs would make up the largest segment of the food industry. What the hell is this article even about?

As for this news, all I have to say is I anxiously await the Deus Ex board game. Seeing how board games are making a massive comeback, this is one sector which would definitely help the franchise grow. Warcraft and Starcraft have done it, Game of Thrones has done it. I don't see why DX should be left out!

Once we've raked in a ton of money from all of those outlets, surely we will have a proper Deus Ex game once more, built with the engineering decisions of the first experience.

For the record, I really like board games :p

caitsith01
6th Jun 2013, 00:14
In a way, I think this vindicates those of us who said that for all that it looked cool, Human Revolution showed a lack of respect for the original Deus Ex.

This game confirms how much respect those in control of the brand have for the original, i.e., zero.

A horrible, horrible decision that cheapens Deus Ex.

Doom972
6th Jun 2013, 00:15
Free games is the largest segment in the population? I'm pretty confident free hot dogs would make up the largest segment of the food industry. What the hell is this article even about?

As for this news, all I have to say is I anxiously await the Deus Ex board game. Seeing how board games are making a massive comeback, this is one sector which would definitely help the franchise grow. Warcraft and Starcraft have done it, Game of Thrones has done it. I don't see why DX should be left out!

Once we've raked in a ton of money from all of those outlets, surely we will have a proper Deus Ex game once more, built with the engineering decisions of the first experience. Right guys? Right?

That article is completely irrelevant. Touchscreen-device "gamers" like their games cheap and simple. This is the market in which the most successful game ever is Angry Birds after all. More successful than The Walking Dead Season 1.

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 00:26
Why have they thrown free games in the same "creno" as tablet and mobile games? Because there are free games on tablets? To make up an entirely fictional demographic market and claim it is growing is the most ridiculous and dishonest use of statistics I've seen all day, and I read the business section of the Wall Street Journal this morning!

Even if mobile are indeed the ones showing growth, they're growing from zero. This is a new market, I hope to hell it is showing signs of growth. People at work, who haven't played a game since Dr Mario, are playing free bingo games on their iPhone, and harasing me with their bingo scores on Facebook. This is the market game studios will target now? I can't wait for the day console gamers complain their games are being dumbed down and simplified for the ever-growing mobile market.

People told me, not long ago, consoles were the saviour of the dying pc gaming industry. I'm sure there will be someone to claim mobile will be the saviour of the stagnant console market, which, according to this article, has decreased since 2012.

CyberP
6th Jun 2013, 00:54
This is the market game studios will target now? I can't wait for the day console gamers will complain their games are being dumbed down and simplified for the ever-growing mobile market..

Console games have already been dumbed down. 2006 onwards.
There were no automated Assassins Creeds or point A to point B cover shooters. Well, not strictly true, but they were mostly ignored in favor of well designed games.

AlexOfSpades
6th Jun 2013, 01:02
Ashpolt said everything i said earlier in the thread, but better phrased. I think he hit the nail in the head.

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 01:06
I know that, Cyber. Well, I couldn't pinpoint a date, but I know what you're saying.

The point is, exploring new markets is only financially viable if you can use it to save money through mass scale production. Mistaking new markets with growth has proven dangerous to many a company in the past, and has buried more than one in the ground. Much like mistaking inflation for growth has successfully destroyed our economy, and we've yet to see the fallout of this. 2008 was nothing but a cold breeze, compared to what's coming next. But that's another topic.

Do we not see a pattern here? PC gaming, which could keep companies afloat when games were modest, failed to be profitable enough to satisfy large players and shareholders. MS threw himself into the console dance, forcing Sony and Nintendo to up the ante, and successfully killing Sega in the process (which was always a hardcore, highly appreciated player in the console world).

What we're hearing now is the console and pc market might not be successful enough to keep gaming studios afloat, with their ever-rising costs. EM is ensuring some stability by building a major test center in their studio, to stay afloat in the long run. New markets, side products, everything is being studied to keep this big ball of twine ever-growing, for the sake of growth.

You invest yourself in a new market like tablets, it will not be sunshines and rainbows for all of eternity. There are costs attached to this. A tablet flop will be costly, even if it "only" costed a million or two to make and market. Not only this, but this growth logic will make you a slave of yet another market, meaning resources will now have to be devoted to tablet gaming, as well as pc and consoles. We already know great resources are spent to properly design and port games for those two types of machines, despite the optimisation effort to reuse most of the material. What will we see next? Console-to-pc-to-tablet ports, to optimise costs?

Growth is only good if it's profitable as a whole. And once again, without economies of scale, it cannot hope to be profitable forever, with its ever-growing costs. Tablets will become more complex, with more processing power, the market will become over-saturated, and the competition will be fiercer than ever. You will need employees who can code and properly work with all devices, making them both rare and more costly. This market will stagnate, and some companies will bury themselves with it, as others have with pc and consoles alike.

Growth for the sake of growth is idiotic.

CyberP
6th Jun 2013, 01:12
Well, using Deus Ex as the queen on the mobile gaming chessboard was a bad move. Checkmate. End game.

Wintermist
6th Jun 2013, 01:25
Deus Ex: The Fail, yes.

Why even get the hopes up for PC gamers? Can't believe I am this upset, well, actually; I can believe it...

HERESY
6th Jun 2013, 02:27

That's assuming there is a market for free hot dogs. The article is about GROWTH, just like the article about Canada being a $2 billion dollar game market, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, is about growth and how the mobile market is taking over.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-31-canadian-game-industry-adds-USD3-2-billion-to-economy

Excerpt:

ESA Canada touts growing game scene despite closures and layoffs; 84% of studios working on mobile devices

Board games would be good as well as a card battle game. DX shouldn't be left out and that's what I've been saying for the majority of time that I've been here. It's time for the franchise to grow and to take it's proper place but it can't and won't do that if they stick to one medium. Things are changing, EM/SE must adapt or the franchise will die.

Once we've raked in a ton of money from all of those outlets, surely we will have a proper Deus Ex game once more, built with the engineering decisions of the first experience.

They probably already have enough money to make a sequel, hell they're probably already working on a sequel, but
the name of the game is to get exposure on as many devices as possible. Multiple platforms/mediums devices = multiple revenue streams. However, the bulk of the experience should NOT be the mobile market and it isn't. The bulk of the experience is the Console and PC.

EM can really spin this into something great but you guys really need to get behind them. It's my opinion that the latest batch of consoles (PS4, XBOX1 and a new NIN console, not Wii u but something they may have in the pipe due to wii u failure) will be the last so it's good to establish yourself in other markets.

For the record, I really like board games :p

I wouldn't mind one.

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 02:39
Canadian market is profoundly skewed by government subsidies, however. It is more profitable for someone to start a software company, because of tax credits per job created, than any other business out there. And since the most cost-effective market is tablet and mobile, everyone and their mother are hiring and developing for the little machine that could. Even if their tablet games make no money, the risks and losses are minimal to nil. No wonder it's touting big numbers!

The industry is already skewed by other private companies offering subsidies to studios in exchange for collaboration, as well as marketing costs being excluded from studio expenses because they are assumed by the mothership company. We really don't need to toy with the numbers some more by using the Canadian market to make a point about the sustainability of one market or another.

And I repeat, IGN's article, creating an artificial market of free and mobile games combined, is profoundly dishonest. Free games do not belong in any market.

CyberP
6th Jun 2013, 02:48
Microtransactions.

Saying that, I wonder if The fall....

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 02:54
If I combine free games with any other market, it is going to become the biggest market. Free games and PC games? BOOM! Biggest market share out there. Free games and consoles? BOOM! Biggest market share out there.

Once they start billing 15-20 for their tablet games, because the costs have exploded, the girl at work playing free stuff in her breaks will look elsewhere to pass the time. Because the girl at work is this new market share showing growth. She never played games besides Mario Party. She will never buy Deus Ex 4.

The only people who will potentially throw money at this tablet Deus Ex are HR fans. Believe it or not, seven dollars is already a lot, in this market share dominated by free mindless stuff. That's not exploring new markets. That's getting more money from the same people. It's like the government coming up with sales taxes, on top of income taxes. Same demographic footing the bill.

CyberP
6th Jun 2013, 03:23
Well, apparently Capcom gets it (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/02/01/news-resident-evil-will-return-to-its-roots) (kind of) and have gone back to developing potential high quality "relics". I love classic Resident Evil but I'd rather this had been EM who came out with this design revelation.
And no, Capcom, fans do not want Jill and Chris in the same game (at least any worthwhile fan, capcom cannot write characters for ****), they just want good games. Resident Evil 1 had C & J in the same game but it's characters were not the reason it's a great game. The human characters have been terrible in nearly all RE games, the biological weapons are the stars in terms of characters. ...."S.T.A.R.S!"

I found Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a blast to play through

Wait, you played it on iOS? How do you manage to cast the more complex spells such as soul steal? Let me guess, they simplified it :rollseyes:

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 04:14

Those "gamers" they're talking about don't play anything except Angry Birds. They don't give a **** about a game like Deus Ex.

I second the board game idea. Some of the traditional games coming out these days are fantastic and for no other reason than people applying new ideas to old game styles, just like the indie market right now.

If you haven't heard of a game called The Resistance, you should check it out. It's incredibly simple, almost as simple as games get, but the results are so complex because they're based on human interaction.

Shaikh
6th Jun 2013, 07:44
I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!!

Your fanbase is mostly PC gamers and you release a game on the iOS.
This.

I am disappointed. Please don't hype about iOS or mobile games from next time. :mad:

Headstriker
6th Jun 2013, 08:57
I just love the fake positivity of the mods, well would look kind of bad if they also spew negativity here would it? They are just puppets.

This game just ruined all the reputation they've built up. This game is just a cashgrab in my eyes and iOS is no gaming platform, ESPECIALLY not for shooting games. A game like XCOM: Enemy Unknown is perfectly understandable as mobile game, because the gameplay is just made for it, but Deus Ex? No... just NO.

This is just pathetic and i hope the **** hits you like a Tornado, so that you can regain your senses.

Spyhopping
6th Jun 2013, 10:19
I just love the fake positivity of the mods, well would look kind of bad if they also spew negativity here would it? They are just puppets.

That's an easy presumption to make. I've been a regular member here for years, and the only way my behaviour has changed since I started moderating is that I hold back from rash outbursts and perhaps I'm a bit more sensible. We have been placed under no obligation to be falsely positive, we're encouraged to be honest and reasonable about things.

the disconnect is with what kinds of games people play on tablets, and why. I play Deus Ex, and I love it. I play games on my tablet, and love many of them (Warhammer Quest FTW!). But I still balk at the idea of playing Deus Ex on a tablet. Why?

My first thought was that it is an odd platform choice for a DX game, for a variety of reasons (including my confusion over why we need tablets in the first place). But I don't really have any experience gaming on or using tablets at all, so I'll withhold my judgement 'till I get to play it.

68_pie
6th Jun 2013, 10:56
I just love the fake positivity of the mods, well would look kind of bad if they also spew negativity here would it?

You should have waited until we have MyImmortal's opinion before posting that :P (Although I wonder if this will finally be the announcement that gets her to make a negative comment.)

But I don't really have any experience gaming on or using tablets at all, so I'll withhold my judgement 'till I get to play it.

For most people, to be able to play it they will have had to pay for it first. Which means if it's **** you've lost money; EM/SE will already have your money so they have what they want; and you can't make them see that this is a bad idea by voting with your wallet.

Spyhopping
6th Jun 2013, 11:46
For most people, to be able to play it they will have had to pay for it first. Which means if it's **** you've lost money; EM/SE will already have your money so they have what they want; and you can't make them see that this is a bad idea by voting with your wallet.

That's just the way things are with all games unless there's a demo released. You can always wait for a comprehensive batch of reviews and gameplay videos/trailers before you decide to buy it or not. That's a pretty reliable guide on whether or not it's worth your money.

CyberP
6th Jun 2013, 13:41
Couldn't Eidos have done this with that god damn Batman game series? Much more suitable with it's automated gameplay and casual experience.

This is still upsetting. :(

Ashpolt
6th Jun 2013, 14:02
Couldn't Eidos have done this with that god damn Batman game series? Much more suitable with it's automated gameplay and casual experience.

They already did. (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/batman-arkham-city-lockdown/id459850726?mt=8) But it let you play as animated series Batman so I just couldn't resist. The game itself was not great.

68_pie
6th Jun 2013, 14:10

This is still upsetting. :(

Or Squeenix could have ordered Tomb Raider and the Guardian of Light 2. You know, a game that actually works on touchscreens.

mortuus
6th Jun 2013, 17:50
Lets hope they will bring it to PC later on like capcom gave us Resident evil revelations with better graphics etc finally on PC , also first only on handheld :D

Stellazira
6th Jun 2013, 18:11
That's an easy presumption to make. I've been a regular member here for years, and the only way my behaviour has changed since I started moderating is that I hold back from rash outbursts and perhaps I'm a bit more sensible. We have been placed under no obligation to be falsely positive, we're encouraged to be honest and reasonable about things.

Mods are the same people you've been posting with all this time, it's just that they're allowed to tell you to calm down if they think it's necessary now and not be accused of backseat moderating. :p I think it's better when they're not part of the company because then they're doing the job because they want to help the community.

If a mobile game means more money for the company to make other games, then I suppose how could you go wrong? If the game doesn't end up being good then that's what it will be: an experiment that didn't go too well, and hopefully they won't make another. If it does go well and it's well-received, then it'll be another another title in the series, even if it's a shadow of the others.

Idk, the best thing to do right now is wait until it's released. If it's this far along, the devs aren't likely to change their minds about anything.

HERESY
6th Jun 2013, 18:17
Canadian market is profoundly skewed by government subsidies, however. It is more profitable for someone to start a software company, because of tax credits per job created, than any other business out there. And since the most cost-effective market is tablet and mobile, everyone and their mother are hiring and developing for the little machine that could. Even if their tablet games make no money, the risks and losses are minimal to nil. No wonder it's touting big numbers!

The same can be said for the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/technology/rich-tax-breaks-bolster-video-game-makers.html?pagewanted=all
http://leetaxhelp.com/tax-blog/tax-programs/video-game-corporations-highly-subsidized-by-irs/

The industry is already skewed by other private companies offering subsidies to studios in exchange for collaboration, as well as marketing costs being excluded from studio expenses because they are assumed by the mothership company. We really don't need to toy with the numbers some more by using the Canadian market to make a point about the sustainability of one market or another.

And I repeat, IGN's article, creating an artificial market of free and mobile games combined, is profoundly dishonest. Free games do not belong in any market.

There is no artificial market and free games (along with games that are "free" but utilize the f2p business model/microtransactions) do belong as resources are often utilized to make them.

Do people want it? Is there a need for it or can the need be created? If the answer to any of those three questions is "YES" there is a market.

Do people want free games? Yes.
Is there a need for free games? Yes.
If there were no free games would someone create an ecosystem that needed free games? Yes.

So, knowing these things to be fact, free games belong in any market relevant to gaming (and even some non gaming markets.)

Think of it like this, MS is not going to say "Oh, XBOX silver is free, we won't count those guys as part of our live membership. We don't consider silver to be a market." It's the same thing. You have silver (free), gold (paid) and they look at both as two distinct markets yet they look at the overall members when they do quarterly. Sure, xbox live is a "service" but it's goods and service (and not too much service, btw) and they sure aren't saying "free games don't belong in a market."

In closing, IGN was spot on.

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 18:54
Lets hope they will bring it to PC later on like capcom gave us Resident evil revelations with better graphics etc finally on PC , also first only on handheld :D

Why would we hope for overpriced, second-class hand-me-downs?

ResonanceCascade
6th Jun 2013, 19:23
Why would we hope for overpriced, second-class hand-me-downs?

$7 is overpriced? I guess if you just want to be cynical then any amount of money would qualify as "too much," but it still strikes me as a weird complaint.

If it gets a good PC version, not just a thrown together port, that would be great. Assuming the game is any good to begin with.

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 19:45
$7 is overpriced?

Check the price of all the PC ports of mobile games on Steam and try again. Make note of Cut The Rope, 10000000, and Angry Birds, all of which are 99 cent games on mobile platforms. Notice Resident Evil Revelations, which was $40 when it launched on 3DS.

MasterTaffer
6th Jun 2013, 19:49
$7 is overpriced? I guess if you just want to be cynical then any amount of money would qualify as "too much," but it still strikes me as a weird complaint.

If it gets a good PC version, not just a thrown together port, that would be great. Assuming the game is any good to begin with.

Indeed.

I'll just buy 5 less sodas this year. Done, paid for, and drinking water is better for me anyway.

Not to mention we have no idea how much content is in that game. If it's a full narrative game that goes for about 4-5 hours, $7 at launch is a steal. To just declare it overpriced blindly seems imprudent.

HERESY
6th Jun 2013, 19:50
Indeed.

I'll just buy 5 less sodas this year. Done, paid for, and drinking water is better for me anyway.

Not to mention we have no idea how much content is in that game. If it's a full narrative game that goes for about 4-5 hours, $7 at launch is a steal. To just declare it overpriced blindly seems imprudent.

This.

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 19:59
Totally ignoring the completely relevant post I made, but that's fine.

MasterTaffer
6th Jun 2013, 20:02
Totally ignoring the completely relevant post I made, but that's fine.

You mean that post comparing the price points of a narrative based game with bite sized nibble games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope fallaciously?

68_pie
6th Jun 2013, 20:30
You mean that post comparing the price points of a narrative based game with bite sized nibble games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope fallaciously?

There are plenty of examples of narrative based games selling on mobile platforms for less than what EM say they are charging for this. A very brief perusal suggests:

GTA:VC
GTA3
The Bard's Tale
Broken Sword
Max Payne

TBH I'm amazed SE aren't trying to flog this for £11 like they are with the Final Fantasy mobile games.

MasterTaffer
6th Jun 2013, 20:36
There are plenty of examples of narrative based games selling on mobile platforms for less than what EM say they are charging for this.

Which is a fair point and your examples are far better. Shralla should have used those.

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 20:39

By that logic, the narrative based game should be worth even more than those games, and will be even more expensive on PC to suit. Is Resident Evil not a "real" enough game for you? They released it on PC almost a year after launch for MORE than they released the original game for. It's pretty obvious that companies think that games on PC are inherently worth more than mobile games, even if it's literally the same game.

MasterTaffer
6th Jun 2013, 20:43
Is Resident Evil not a "real" enough game for you?

You mean Resident Evil: Revelations, the example you brought up that I purchased for $40 when it came out on the 3DS and had a blast playing, meanwhile is a poor visual port on PC and consoles while being charged more for?

I thought you were arguing that $7 is overpriced. Bad example for the point you're trying to make, sir.

HERESY
6th Jun 2013, 20:56
GTA:VC
GTA3
The Bard's Tale
Broken Sword
Max Payne

How many were made within the last year?

Shralla
6th Jun 2013, 22:16
I thought you were arguing that $7 is overpriced. Bad example for the point you're trying to make, sir.

No, the only thing I was saying is that mobile to PC ports have historically undergone incredibly unreasonable price hikes when making the jump, and there's no reason to expect that if The Fall did make it to PC, that it wouldn't be priced at $20 or something stupid.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2013, 22:40
You should have waited until we have MyImmortal's opinion before posting that :P (Although I wonder if this will finally be the announcement that gets her to make a negative comment.)

Why and what's up? :scratch: I didn't realise something like this bothered you so much. :naughty: :D

On a serious note... I'm not clear what you mean by 'finally'? I wasn't happy about the highlighting feature and supported the campaign to have it made optional... surely that counts? :rasp:

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2013, 23:09

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/technology/rich-tax-breaks-bolster-video-game-makers.html?pagewanted=all
http://leetaxhelp.com/tax-blog/tax-programs/video-game-corporations-highly-subsidized-by-irs/

There is no artificial market and free games (along with games that are "free" but utilize the f2p business model/microtransactions) do belong as resources are often utilized to make them.

Do people want it? Is there a need for it or can the need be created? If the answer to any of those three questions is "YES" there is a market.

Do people want free games? Yes.
Is there a need for free games? Yes.
If there were no free games would someone create an ecosystem that needed free games? Yes.

So, knowing these things to be fact, free games belong in any market relevant to gaming (and even some non gaming markets.)

Think of it like this, MS is not going to say "Oh, XBOX silver is free, we won't count those guys as part of our live membership. We don't consider silver to be a market." It's the same thing. You have silver (free), gold (paid) and they look at both as two distinct markets yet they look at the overall members when they do quarterly. Sure, xbox live is a "service" but it's goods and service (and not too much service, btw) and they sure aren't saying "free games don't belong in a market."

In closing, IGN was spot on.

I don't understand why subsidies in the US are disproving the point that the Canadian game market is booming in terms of mobile games because of enormous incentives. This boom is artificial, and cannot be used as a proof that it is healthy and sustainable, nor that there is a demand for it legitimizing the investments. Return on investments, without taking into account subsidies, over at least five years, will demonstrate how healthy that market truly is.

As for my point about IGN's article being dishonnest, allow me to repeat it, for the third time.

They say, bloody quote, free and mobile games combined make up 29 percent of the market, being the largest percentage of gamers out there. Omni gamers (also a new category) coming second with something like 16. How was that survey phrased, exactly? "In the past year, have you played a free game?" C'mon man, if we combine, free games and omni gamers, they would make up what, 35, 40, 50% of the market? It's dishonest to take free games, and combine them with any other device to prove some sort of a point. You can't make up a "free and mobile" category. That survey has no ground.

Their conclusions might ultimately prove right some day, but the survey itself would not survive peer review.

And once again, this is an entirely other crowd we're talking about. This is the Sudoku, coffee break crowd. You will not get them to buy full-fledged console/pc games in the long run. You will not bring enough of their money in your pocket to cover the rising costs of more complex tablet games, because they're not that kind of gamers. There is already an existing crowd for more complex portable games, and they have their portable consoles, which, incidently, are not tablets and phones.

Headstriker
6th Jun 2013, 23:46
What can you expect from $7? I don't expect much from it and this low price is so low so that impulsebuyer think "Well it's just 7 bucks, lets try it out!" It's a psychological trick for the consumerzombies. That's exactly what they want and the game will probably be flooded with DLC to reach the $50 price tag under the cloak of "option", if they do THAT i'll call Saul Goodman, that's for sure..

Lmaoboat
7th Jun 2013, 02:46
Even doing crosswords on a touch screen tests the limits of my patience. Playing an T/FPS? I'd rather play Dwaf Fortress with a power glove.

Raxxman
7th Jun 2013, 03:36
Let's put this in perspective.

I'm not disappointed that they've gone for a new Deus Ex game.
I like Deus Ex, I like the background world, and I’m a huge fan of Cyberpunk in general

I'm not disappointed that they've reused substantial art in the game.
They did well with the art style of the last game, and it makes sense in the context.

I am disappointed that they've copied a lot of the basic game function, exact carbon copy of the cloak, wall punch and remarkably similar takedown animations.
Adam Jensen was a unique character supposedly ultimately augmented, an experiment. And now the gameplay looks identical. This is just disappointing because it does just look lazy. I understand the concept of familiarity in gameplay, but what I've seen so far just doesn't look original enough. Saxton just looks like Jensen v2.0

I am beyond disappointed in the press release, like seriously someone should be losing their job over this.
People have to be aware of how this would look from the outsiders perspective, teasing a console/PC based game sequel, using font and prior art as well, then suddenly going down the actually it's a $7 iOS game, is leaving a lot of people with the expression of 'That's it?' I understand that they've put themselves on the map and people are talking about DX: Fall, but nothing is positive, already the term DX: the Fail is widely being bandied around. Had this been mentioned with a new DLC chapter then the impact would have been widely more positive.

I am disappointed they're playing up the Tyrants.
Boss battles in DX:HR were terrible, easily the worst part of the game, the Tyrants we're over used and underdeveloped in HR, and we know what happens to them, so their introduction and use in the game beyond a superficial nod is not going to cut it really.

Lmaoboat
7th Jun 2013, 03:40
I think people are a little too hard on mobile device tie-ins. They're a great way to supplement the plot by giving us something to read on Wikipedia.

Parias
7th Jun 2013, 04:45
I think people are a little too hard on mobile device tie-ins. They're a great way to supplement the plot by giving us something to read on Wikipedia.

I don't disagree - giving a franchise as wide a consumer base as possible isn't a bad thing. I don't necessarily mind that they're making a mobile edition of the game.

My complaint is just that this was hyped up to be something big - and it turns out the only thing on the roadmap is just this. Raxxman has summed it up nicely - my whole feeling when the announcement went live was "that's it?"

I know that this doesn't necessarily mean a larger DX project ISN'T in the works (and just hasn't been announced yet), but it feels like a big slap to the face to try and get everyone's hopes up, and then drive them crashing down.

If this was announced in addition to some other DX project that would be hitting the major platforms (PC, Xbox, etc) I'd have no complaints at all. The fact that this is the only thing on the radar right now without even a hint that something bigger could be on the way is what alarms me so much about this.

And when you couple this with the debacle that is the Wii-U release (and how all the additions it's getting probably won't come to the other platforms - PC in particular), it's just further icing in the cake. I want to give the developers / publisher credit and be patient with them, but it feels like all I get in return is just mockery.

HERESY
7th Jun 2013, 05:58
"I am disappointed they're playing up the Tyrants.Boss battles in DX:HR were terrible, easily the worst part of the game, the Tyrants we're over used and underdeveloped in HR, and we know what happens to them, so their introduction and use in the game beyond a superficial nod is not going to cut it really."

The Fall takes place after Icarus Effect so it makes sense to have them. Also, I think they learned from HR, which is why they revamped things for the DC.

Kvltism
7th Jun 2013, 07:08
After some quiet contemplation, I still feel the same disappointment re: The Fall. They somehow managed to trump the "Director's Cut... exclusive to WiiU" madness, which is a remarkable feat.

http://i.imgur.com/J7BvlwS.jpg

68_pie
7th Jun 2013, 11:37
Why and what's up? :scratch: I didn't realise something like this bothered you so much. :naughty: :D

It really bugs me.

On a serious note... I'm not clear what you mean by 'finally'? I wasn't happy about the highlighting feature and supported the campaign to have it made optional... surely that counts? :rasp:

Huh. I must have forgotten about that.

SpecX
7th Jun 2013, 12:00
The Fall must be a spin-off in the Deus Ex franchise.

El_Bel
7th Jun 2013, 12:06
Betrayal song? Someone?

68_pie
7th Jun 2013, 13:07
Deus Ex: The Fall is six hours long, the first of a series and will contain in-app purchases (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-deus-ex-the-fall-is-six-hours-long-the-first-of-a-series-and-will-contain-in-app-purchases)

Deus Ex: The Fall, the newly announced iOS extension to the popular sci-fi franchise, is the first installment in a projected series, and will take six hours for a single playthrough. Available for a one-off price, it will also feature in-app purchases.

Developed by N-Fusion in conjunction with Eidos Montreal, Deus Ex: The Fall utilises all the talent that helped make last year's critical hit, Human Revolution. "Eidos Montreal were involved from day one," producer James Wright told Eurogamer.

"So basically, the same team that really put together Human Revolution - Jean Francois Dugaud, the designer, Mary DeMarle and James Swallow, the writing team, and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, the art director - all of the key creative people have been involved from day one to make it a true Deus Ex experience."

So why did Square opt to embark on an iOS installment, rather than chasing the more traditional console and PC route? "Primarily the reason was that we really wanted to expand the Deus Ex universe, and have the experience not just for the core gamers, but to let other types of gamers have that experience as well," explained Wright. "It is a true Deus Ex experience - it does contain action, stealth, hacking, social interaction, choice in gameplay and consequence. It's a game very much that our fanbase and our core gamers will still enjoy, despite the platform."

Deus Ex: The Fall's story picks up from James Swallow's Icarus Effect, and it follows ex-SAS merc Ben Saxon in a story that runs parallel to Human Revolution. Its gameplay closely - and impressively - mimics that of last year's console and PC game, leaning on open-ended action that is, depending on your style, either explosive or stealthy.

There are currently no plans to port The Fall to other devices, though Wright admits it's an interesting idea.

Deus Ex: The Fall's structured like its cousin, too, featuring a fully-fledged campaign and missions. It'll be available later this summer for a one-shot price - although it will also contain in-app purcases. "Just to clarify that, once the players purchased the game, they can play through it, through new game plus - they keep all their gear and augmentations, and you can unlock everything without paying a single penny more," Wright said.

"If the player wants to accelerate their performance, however, then they can. Everything in the game is purchased with credits, and they're awarded via loot and meeting certain conditions. So with the IAP, the player can purchase additional credits buying real-world money - and with that you can buy Praxis, ammo, additional upgrades."

Does the inclusion of in-app purchases suggest that Square Enix Mobile thinks that a one-off payment isn't enough? "I think it's enough to have the one-off fee," Wright answered. "Once you've paid that amount of money you get to see all that the game's got to offer. But it's one of those things in the terms of the mobile market and expectations - sometimes people want to play a bit faster, they want to accelerate their game playing, so it's an option if people want to do that. But you don't have to put a single penny in to see the full content the game's got to offer."

So far, Deus Ex: The Fall has been met with a muted response, with fans expressing disappointment after a series of teasers ended up with a reveal of the iOS game - the official YouTube reveal video has, at the time of writing, 989 likes and 12,543 dislikes.

"You always get a mixed response," admitted Wright. "The feedback from mobile gamers has been amazing, but there's a passionate fanbase out there and people who play games on the PC and console who were expecting the sequel of Human Revolution on one of those platforms. That for us is great news - we've got a community that is that passionate.

"For us it's important to allow another audience to experience the Deus Ex universe. We started this to make true Deus Ex experience right from day one. And that's why it's not a port, it's not a derivative. It's got the four core franchise values."

Spyhopping
7th Jun 2013, 13:16
There are currently no plans to port The Fall to other devices, though Wright admits it's an interesting idea...

"You always get a mixed response," admitted Wright. "The feedback from mobile gamers has been amazing, but there's a passionate fanbase out there and people who play games on the PC and console who were expecting the sequel of Human Revolution on one of those platforms. That for us is great news - we've got a community that is that passionate.

Thanks for posting. I really wasn't expecting it to be a 6 hour long game, that's rather good value for the price. Alarm bells rang when I read about extra purchases on top of it, but it seems that the approach they've used won't change the experience much, and you end up with the full game when you buy it initially.

So porting it is an "interesting idea"- it's a possibility then!

HERESY
7th Jun 2013, 14:18
In this very thread I've said pretty much everything in the article.

Good job EM.

Spyhopping
7th Jun 2013, 14:42
Do you have the UK lottery results for this weekend too? That'd help me out rather a lot. Cheers. ;)

AlexOfSpades
7th Jun 2013, 14:43
fw3w68YrKwc#!

Has this trailer been posted yet?

Edit: lol @ same animations

68_pie
7th Jun 2013, 15:09
Edit: lol @ same animations

Holy recycled assets, Batman.

Does he just have all the same augs as AJ?

Also, as an Englishman, I feel that I'm entitled to say that I hate the voice acting and accent.

Doom972
7th Jun 2013, 15:29
Betrayal song? Someone?

QeaGJRV-whU

Here you go. Just replace EA with Square Enix or Eidos Montreal (not sure who to blame yet) and Ultima with Deus Ex.
And we used to think that Invisible War was a real betrayal. I guess EM surpassed Ion Storm Austin in one aspect.

Spyhopping
7th Jun 2013, 15:39
Here you go. Just replace EA with Square Enix or Eidos Montreal (not sure who to blame yet) and Ultima with Deus Ex.
And we used to think that Invisible War was a real betrayal. I guess EM surpassed Ion Storm Austin in one aspect.

But. But. You haven't even had a chance to pl- BAH I give up!

AlexOfSpades
7th Jun 2013, 15:52
But. But. You haven't even had a chance to pl- BAH I give up!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jun 2013, 16:25
It really bugs me.
I chuckled. :D

Huh. I must have forgotten about that.
Not a problem... I haven't. :p

Jerion
7th Jun 2013, 16:27
Also, as an Englishman, I feel that I'm entitled to say that I hate the voice acting and accent.

It sounded more Australian to me. Which would fit with the character background a bit. Are you saying that you hate the way Australians talk? :p

Ilves
7th Jun 2013, 16:31

Looks like Reno (seriously, that profile), and sounds like Grills.

I liked Jim Murray's rendition better.

http://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/de.jpg

68_pie
7th Jun 2013, 16:42
It sounded more Australian to me. Which would fit with the character background a bit.

As I understand it, Ben Saxon, hereafter known as BS, is English - http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Saxon

Spyhopping
7th Jun 2013, 16:47
I got a few Aussie twangs from his accent too which confused me. I was under the impression he was just plain old British. I also visualised Ben as broader built than AJ and with a deeper voice, but I'll get used to it.

Headstriker
7th Jun 2013, 17:18
"in-app purchases" Failure right there, so they charge money for it and then also try to milk the consumerzombies with virtual crap. But well this trend proved to be positive for greedy publishers, because there are enough sheep who are actually willing to waste money on additional crap, which should be in the game right from the start.

"mixed response" I laughed, i call this more like an overwhelmingly negative response, of course the iOS crowd says it great, because they have no idea what good games are, those are the people who think Angry Birds and Farmville are top titles and they are making a Deux Ex game for this specific crowd, i can see where this is going with their "as simple to play as possible" philosophy. Yes we are a passionate fanbase and Deus Ex belongs to the top platforms, and not to iOS. To quote Harbinger: Square Enix you've become an annoyance. This will hurt you.

For me this stays a cashgrab nothing more and we will make sure this sets a new negative record on metacritic userreviews when it's released, be sure about that.

Shralla
7th Jun 2013, 19:19
Looks like Reno (seriously, that profile), and sounds like Grills.

I assume you mean Bear Grylls? Absolutely not. He literally sounds nothing like him. He has the same accent as Jason Statham.

JCDentonMale
7th Jun 2013, 19:22
Deus Ex on iOS? WTF? People smoke drugs in EM? This isn't a hoax?

Deus Ex is a PC game ! Do it for PCs !

That's so disappointing to see a so stupid move for a Deus Ex game. :mad2:

CyberP
7th Jun 2013, 19:52
Anyway, about the passion thing: DX:HR was clearly a work of passion, the end result could have been better, but it was art, driven by passion. And I'm not just talking about aesthetics: The art of gameplay, the art of pen to paper and so on, then the art of it all coming together to provide more meaning and entertainment value than anything you'd see hanging in a actual art museum.

Now, Looking Glass fell, passionate designers of great games, but I suspect they just had a **** marketing team and the audience wasn't ready for them. Ion Storm fell through because problems within the company and producing some bad games after Spector left. Eidos Montreal come out with HR, a game designed for the masses, but was still art, and it was a success. So:

-Why go down the milking route?
-Why focus on platforms other than the ones you were originally a success on?
-Why ignore your fan base? Wouldn't it have been wise to have the core team focus on next gen DX, and outsource this cash-in?
-Why piss on your OWN art, as well as Ion Storms? Wasn't the gold theme enough? ;)

It's all very disappointing. And I know nobody has had hands-on time with the game, but:

1. A RPG, let alone a Deus Ex game, should NEVER be 6 hour long episode. I was disappointed with The Missing Link for this same reason.
2. It's a god damn phone game. Purposely simplified. Designed for no reason other than monetizing of consumers apparently, so yeah, we know this "art" will be a big steaming pile of turd.
3. Square Enix. Ruined Final Fantasy, Ruined Deus Ex, Ruined Hitman....Ruined art. Hope all the cash is worth it. Oh wait, you're in the red. Give your dev studios creative freedom for ****sake. Doesn't mean you cannot attempt to milk us with the DLC, pre order nonsense. If it's art I'm sure most won't be all that fussed, at least not after this.....

Hire me as lead designer fo a new IP using Human Revolution's engine, stay the **** away from the design side of things, and i'll give you art for the masses.

-Neon-
7th Jun 2013, 19:54
Why The Fall might be a good thing

It's in the style of HR
It features the Tyrants as a main plot point, so if you're into story, yay for you
It's a sequel to a good book (that apparently left you wanting more? I didn't read it)
It might bring in more money to fund a full sequel to HR

Why The Fall is getting so much hate

It looks exactly like HR
It's for mobile only, so it's harder to access
It's a mobile game that goes against what trends in the mobile gaming market
It's the 3rd announcement after Human Revolution that isn't a PC/multi-console game
The teaser gave us a false sense of hope
The Tyrants were the bosses in Human Revolution and we know nothing about them unless we read the book/play this game

Did I get everything?

Shralla
7th Jun 2013, 19:56
Deus Ex on iOS? WTF? People smoke drugs in EM?

They do live in Canada.

CyberP
7th Jun 2013, 19:59
It's a mobile game that goes against what trends in the mobile gaming market

Did I get everything?

Actually, that's a good thing. Sort of.

-Neon-
7th Jun 2013, 20:04
It is a good thing being that it shows that mobile games have the capability to be more than 2D drag and drop and pull and push or whatever. But, I don't think adapting a well established franchise to mobile devices (as they are now) is a good idea.

JCDentonMale
7th Jun 2013, 20:14
They do live in Canada.

I never asked for this :cool:

JCDentonMale
7th Jun 2013, 20:15
It is a good thing being that it shows that mobile games have the capability to be more than 2D drag and drop and pull and push or whatever. But, I don't think adapting a well established franchise to mobile devices (as they are now) is a good idea.

The fact is, we never asked for this :cool:

-Neon-
7th Jun 2013, 20:37
The joke played itself out on announcement please stop

JCpies
7th Jun 2013, 20:42
I don't like to be negative, but after seeing the trailer I just don't care that I won't be able to play it.

Maybe if I'm bored one day, I'll watch the game on Youtube so I can find out who Janus is.

Seems like a bit of a bad joke over all, definitely doesn't have the depth and polish that we love about the series.

DaedalusIcarusHelios
7th Jun 2013, 20:45
This isn't the full game people want for PC (and consoles), so I've decided to just accept it for what it is: a short mobile game. I enjoyed the book and enjoy the DX universe and I'm sure I'd enjoy playing this game, even if it's not what I was hoping for. The only problem now is that it's an iOS game - and while we have a few older iOS devices that may possibly work, I won't buy it for that. I would actually enjoy it on my 7" tablet - a BlackBerry PlayBook. I'd get it for the BlackBerry Z10 if not the PlayBook, but I'd prefer a larger form factor for this type of game. I hope they decide to support BlackBerry and Windows Phone in addition to iOS and Android.

Shralla
7th Jun 2013, 20:53
The joke played itself out on announcement please stop

Not until Square Enix stops.

vitlus_molten
7th Jun 2013, 21:39
I just have to raise my voice and say:

Please listen to the community, the Wii U and Mobile exclusivity are hurting people. We just want to play and enjoy the games, but dont have the money to buy Wii U or Mobile devices.
Also in my opinion the PC offers a better gaming experience.

HERESY
8th Jun 2013, 01:17
Do you have the UK lottery results for this weekend too? That'd help me out rather a lot. Cheers. ;)

Are you willing to split the pot?

besyuziki
8th Jun 2013, 05:12

Well, people were also quite "passionate" about the health system and mandatory object highlighting in Human Revolution, not to mention the "passion" about the outsourced PC version and all the technical issues. Most importantly, the boss fights had such a "mixed response" that they are to be fixed in the Director's Cut.

I love me some PR talk.

Shaikh
8th Jun 2013, 05:27
Just for curiosity, is this project cancelled yet?

Zoet
8th Jun 2013, 15:23
As an Australian, I have no idea what his accent is. Sometimes it sounds Australian, sometimes British. The in-app purchases don't sound too bad. If they're charging a premium price for it, I can almost certainly say that they won't be including the kind of obnoxious IAPs that give iOS a bad name. When a game has this kind of pricing model, it normally functions best balance-wise when you don't purchase consumables, but consumables are bought by people who have no patience/lack skill.

Kvltism
8th Jun 2013, 17:25
As an Australian, I have no idea what his accent is. Sometimes it sounds Australian, sometimes British.

Saxon sounds like an expat from Southern England. Given he spent a year or more (from memory) in Australia with Belltower's Strike Team Six, the accent is congruent with his character.

Caradoc
8th Jun 2013, 19:09
I've already stated my disssapointment earlier in this thread, so i don't wish to bother anyone repeating what has been said. However after watching the latest trailer, I wanted to add to my former statement that this project makes even less sense.

I mean: Why put so much effort porting Deus ex experience into mobile platform when it is clear as midday sky that this kind of game experience works best on pc/home consoles.

When I'm watching DX: fall trailer i'm basicly looking at watered down/dumbed down version of DX: human revolution.

Why not make a proper sequel to pc/home consoles instead? Thats what your audience wants.

Stellazira
8th Jun 2013, 19:14
So from what I've seen of that trailer and after having read the book two times, I have to ask: why are Namir and Saxon standing around talking to each other? This game takes place after Icarus Effect, right?

So confused...

HERESY
8th Jun 2013, 20:27
After the novel and running in parallel with/to HR.

It makes sense.

Raxxman
10th Jun 2013, 00:45
So from what I've seen of that trailer and after having read the book two times, I have to ask: why are Namir and Saxon standing around talking to each other? This game takes place after Icarus Effect, right?

So confused...

If you look carefully you can see that they're in the tail end of a frieght Aircraft, so this could be the final physical confontration in the book.

As for the accent, as an expat Brit living in Australia, he just sounds confused :rasp:.

SpecX
10th Jun 2013, 16:10
http://asia.gamespot.com/e3/image_viewer.html?sid=6409449&img=6

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2013/157/717915_20130607_790screen006.jpg

I hope The Fall gives some new weapons to the player, but after seeing this – no!

It is like Activision using the same reloading animation of AK-47 for CoD in every part.

Lmaoboat
10th Jun 2013, 16:28
It's like if a band you liked was releasing a new album, but it turns out most of the songs on it are old ones, and all of them are in MIDI.

CyberP
10th Jun 2013, 16:56
Well look at that, one thing they have actually expanded on: the shop. This must be where all the microtransactions are initiated. I wonder if they have in-game ads for the microT's also, on the loading screen?

Pre-judgmental E3 round up so far:

The Ugly:

Deus Ex
Final Fantasy
Castlevania

:( three excellent series destroyed.

The good:

Dark Souls 2
Wolfenstien: the New Order
Watch Dogs

more to come

Ashpolt
10th Jun 2013, 18:01
It's like if a band you liked was releasing a new album, but it turns out most of the songs on it are old ones, and all of them are in MIDI.

And you can only listen to them on Minidisc.

HERESY
10th Jun 2013, 18:51
and all of them are in MIDI.

lol

CyberP
10th Jun 2013, 20:54
Actually I was wrong, they didn't expand on the shop, they merged the inventory and shop! And no grid-based inventory either?....disgusting.

FrankCSIS
11th Jun 2013, 01:46
and all of them are in MIDI.

Joke started off slow, but what a bang!

HERESY
12th Jun 2013, 18:11
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/deus-ex-the-fall-is-totally-legit

Shralla
12th Jun 2013, 18:26
IGN using the phrase "totally legit" definitely instills me with confidence.

CyberP
12th Jun 2013, 18:52
IGN using the phrase "totally legit" definitely instills me with confidence.

This.

You cannot even jump for goodness sake.

This game was designed to obtain the money of the gullible, nothing more.