PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to enjoy Invisible War. I really am.

-Neon-
13th May 2013, 21:36
But the amount of deviation from the design choices in the original game just make it so damn hard. Buildings and hallways feel ridiculously confining, the UI is terrible, and the gunplay feels lack luster an hour in.

I think I'm gonna have to watch a playthrough/walkthrough, if there are any available.

AlexOfSpades
13th May 2013, 21:40
It gets better when you get the laser katana. Everything is better with a laser katana.

xaduha2
13th May 2013, 22:44
Does it? IW had a Dragons Tooth sword, but it just was unique energy blade, nothing close to the original.
But the baton is better than in DX
Here's my advice. Restart the game, pick female Alex and 'stick with the prod' - focus on melee.
Original page is missing, but this will do Unified Texture Pack (http://download.deusexnetwork.com/PlanetDeusEx-ru/files/dxiw/2615/dxiw_texturepack_by_john-p_ver.1.0.0.4.exe)

CyberP
13th May 2013, 22:59
Here's my advice. Restart the game, pick female Alex and 'stick with the prod' - focus on melee.

Sticking with the prod in any DX is rather boring. Yeah it's challenging but you miss out on upgrading weapons & having variety in how to approach a situation (use SMG, Throw a gas grenade, plant a proximity mine, throw fridges at people etc etc).

If you focus on melee in any DX you may as well be playing Invisible War, streamlining the game for yourself. Or just play Thief. If I go stealthy I still use a wide variety of weapons and tactics, and If I get spotted I do not reload, just pull out a lethal weapon.

I also was rather confused as to why some were saying that they limit themselves to two weapons when playing lethally. Boring.

@OP: Don't give up! Yes it is a real disappointment compared to DX1 and even HR, but it is still a very interesting game, just not as fun.

xaduha2
13th May 2013, 23:04
The subject is IW.
"In any DX"? There's only one DX and the closest game since was VTM:B

CyberP
13th May 2013, 23:19
The subject is IW.
"In any DX"? There's only one DX and the closest game since was VTM:B

You overrate VTM:B.

-The only RPG upgrade elements are the skills and attributes...well and the few powers, but they all use the same currency.
-Level design is nowhere near on par with DX in terms of freedom and gameplay, plus y-axis design.
-Inventory system is basic, barely interactive and items in the world are rare & highlighted (!)
-Run n Gun approach only becomes enjoyable once you reach max weapons skill, whereas In DX it's enjoyable throughout.
-Can get a bit fetch-questy, though granted, very well-written, immersive and entertaining ones.
-Game was broken upon release (apparently not the devs fault, I know).
-Just doesn't have the same level of gameplay depth & freedom. It's like a much better Invisible War.

It's in my top ten list probably & I consider it worthy of the Immersive Sim genre but DX sequel it is not. There has not been a DX sequel yet.

xaduha2
14th May 2013, 00:36
You keep reading too much into my words.
IW was more enjoyable for me the way I described earlier, but that's just my opinion.
VTM:B as the closest thing to DX, on the other hand, isn't. Not 'just my', anyway.
My point - don't over-generalize. And let's keep it on topic.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th May 2013, 22:24
It gets better when you meet the Omar and work with them to help secure the legacy of humankind.
So, yeah, be nice to the Omar. :cool:

catelee2u
12th Aug 2013, 18:36
I played it recently (2 months ago). I bought it but couldn't bring myself to play it because I really like Deus Ex 1 and didn't want to be disappointed. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as expected amd I enjoyed it quite a lot. The story is good and it's an easy playthrough. On the other hand I missed the different types of ammo and it was quite a lot too easy and I am someone who likes a challenge but at the same time don't want to be frustrated to death because it's too hard. All three games feel different but Deus Ex, I would say IW is the weakest but still a GOOD game.

CyberP
12th Aug 2013, 21:50
I would say IW is the weakest but still a GOOD game.

Agreed, but after DX1 we all expect the second coming :lol:

Lucifer
13th Aug 2013, 10:28
If only someone could port DX2 to DX1 engine or other better engine ,many people would enjoy playing DX2.

Spyhopping
13th Aug 2013, 10:49
Despite the lacklustre when sitting next to DX, I enjoyed IW to the extent that I've played it through two or three times which is more than I can say for most games. It's rather atmospheric at times, I remember getting a kick out of the rooms JC had created for himself in Antarctica, and the attack at the start of the game was kind of exciting. The whole thing feels a little childlike though, especially when you look at the way the NPCs and Alex behave, the dialogue and the kind of missions you are put to. Even the endings seemed a little comical and hamfisted.

68_pie
13th Aug 2013, 11:37
I enjoy playing it quite a bit even whilst recognizing that it's not very good.

Shralla
13th Aug 2013, 19:21
If only someone could port DX2 to DX1 engine or other better engine ,many people would enjoy playing DX2.

...not really. Why do you think the engine has anything to do with why people don't like the game?

JCpies
13th Aug 2013, 20:41
So you know what, I saw this thread and I went back to play Invisible War because I felt like it.

But a bunch of things annoyed me before I even started playing.

1. My save games are gone.

2. The loading screen reset the game resolution

3. Alex D looks like Ray William Johnson

Spyhopping
13th Aug 2013, 20:56
Alex D looks like a 12 year old who has been marinated in hair gel.

Lucifer
13th Aug 2013, 20:57
For me biggest annoying thing is a terrible aiming system - even your pistol has a "hit circle" bigger than someone's head! I wont remind about inventory ,hud,smaller locations,ammo or flying objects.

JCpies
13th Aug 2013, 21:10
Alex D looks like a 12 year old who has been marinated in hair gel.

dying

WildcatPhoenix
13th Aug 2013, 23:49
You know one of the biggest things that bugged me about IW? (brace yourself for nit-picking here)

That stupid tagline. "The future war on terror," with Alex D pointing a pistol sideways like a wannabe gangsta. It was such a blatantly stupid attempt to pander to the political climate of the times, something Deus Ex should've been above, and just set my teeth on edge from the get-go.

Spyhopping
14th Aug 2013, 07:59
You know one of the biggest things that bugged me about IW? (brace yourself for nit-picking here)

That stupid tagline. "The future war on terror," with Alex D pointing a pistol sideways like a wannabe gangsta. It was such a blatantly stupid attempt to pander to the political climate of the times, something Deus Ex should've been above, and just set my teeth on edge from the get-go.

Haha, nah that's not nit-picking, you have a point. It ties well into my thoughts that the game had a childish feel to it.

I did enjoy the visit to JC in Antarctica and the talk with him, even if he was melodramatically floating in a shaft of light at the time. Once he'd woken up I felt like it could have been more of a statement to have him sat in a comfortable room he had created for himself, by a fire or something. Paul got it right, he stayed down to earth (both literally and figuratively) and still meant business.

AlexOfSpades
14th Aug 2013, 15:13
I should take a look at DXIW's resources. Maybe i could redesign Alex D (M and F) and make a mod with it. I have some pretty good ideas for how he should look.

Spyhopping
14th Aug 2013, 17:21
That'd be fun, though female Alex looked alright. If male Alex lost the spiky hair he'd probably look fine. Also- why did the trainees pockets glow? I never really understood that.

CyberP
14th Aug 2013, 17:35
You keep reading too much into my words.
IW was more enjoyable for me the way I described earlier, but that's just my opinion.
VTM:B as the closest thing to DX, on the other hand, isn't. Not 'just my', anyway.
My point - don't over-generalize. And let's keep it on topic.

Huh? I know this was from some time ago but whatever: You made a statement I didn't agree with. I responded. Nothing else to it.

Arx Fatalis is more DX sequel than VTM:B in my opinion.

JCpies
14th Aug 2013, 18:05
The first person to die in IW is killed by a random vent cover flying off.

I never understood that.

CyberP
14th Aug 2013, 18:41
The first person to die in IW is killed by a random vent cover flying off.

I never understood that.

Huh? You miss the explosion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir1Op7lTQu0#t=12m16s)?

Shame. DX:IW is a very beautiful game. Shame visual beauty is always prioritized over everything else these days.

JCpies
14th Aug 2013, 19:48
That's weird, I've never seen the actual explosion.

I always thought someone like messed with the ventilation system.

Or it was a random act of nature.

neoWilks
14th Aug 2013, 21:26

I'm not sure this is pandering. I mean, terrorism is happening basically constantly throughout the entire game. It opens with Chicago being destroyed in a terrorist attack, then your new academy is stormed by terrorists, then terrorists take over an elevator, then they try to kill a bunch of kids, they take over the Apostlecorp Labs, etc. And while Deus Ex had plenty of terrorist stuff going on too, that game was released in 2000, before the phrase "War of Terror" was a thing.

The problem with Invisible War's writing was entirely with the characters, I thought. Pretty much all of your fellow graduates are completely annoying.

David Holy
4th Oct 2013, 14:19
It isnt something you can enjoy. Its simply a chain of bad design ideas. Only the last level was somehow cool. But i was DEEPLY disappointet with the game.

Doom972
5th Oct 2013, 23:20
I have played this game several times. The first playthrough felt disappointing because I could only notice what was taken away, and not what was added.

Later on, I decided to give it another shot and enjoyed it. I played through it multiple times since then because I found it enjoyable - I noticed that they handled the factions better (actual choice this time), and that some of the augmentations in this game are much more interesting than the ones in the original (especially Bot Domination). Too bad that they had to **** up some many other things, but you already got the game, so you might as well enjoy it.

SpecX
6th Oct 2013, 02:53
Only the last level was somehow cool.

Yeah, every major dude was in one map (but it also had three sub-levels) and you could just go with the Rocket Launcher to kill everyone.

Galatele
26th Oct 2013, 18:53
You're not the only one pal. I give up after three hours. Too many bad game design choices...

Count D
27th Oct 2013, 09:08
My biggest gripe with IW is Alex himself. On all the marketing material he looks like a younger and hipper more gung-ho, maverick and cocky character than the stoic JC. In the game he looks like a doofus and is the most boring motherlover to ever be in a DX game.

ClubbedToDeath
27th Oct 2013, 16:52
IW for me was a huge disappointment,got to play it few hours and stoped wish i never tried it out

CyberP
27th Oct 2013, 17:00
I like IW in the same way I like DX:HR. Great game, but it's no DX1.

DX playthroughs: must be 16 now.
DX:IW: 3
DX:HR: 3

In due time, I can see another playthrough or three of DX:HR down the line, maybe 1 of Invisible War. But they are not eternal like the original. I can see many more DX1 playthroughs yet. Granted it does have mods on it's side, yet I played it at least 10 times vanilla before I started using the many great mods about.

And by the way, if you are a DX1 fan and you haven't tried any mods you'd better rectify that immediately. Ashpolt you get the eye.

Jerion
27th Oct 2013, 17:11
I've played DX1 a comparable number of times, sometimes with mods, sometimes without. Once Revision is done though and I have a run-through with that, I'll probably not touch it again.

ClubbedToDeath
27th Oct 2013, 17:33
Played DX 8 or 9 times,last year tried it out but graphics are such a turn off i am not a eye candy freak when it comes to video games graphics but for some reason i couldnt go on to finish it,same goes for System Shock 2 epic game but my sorry ass *****es about graphics...

CyberP
27th Oct 2013, 17:49
I've played DX1 a comparable number of times, sometimes with mods, sometimes without. Once Revision is done though and I have a run-through with that, I'll probably not touch it again.

Damn, not your #1 game of all time then? Of course, nothing is really eternal, but like I said, I can see many more playthroughs yet, only the gap between each playthrough will widen steadily as the years go by.

It's a genius game, and I won't forget it, nor the Looking Glass Legacy. Whilst they may be dated games in terms of graphics/physics (all engine related), the work of the actual developers ****s on everything. They mark the height of the golden age of gaming, before the industry became hollywood.
If I become a professional developer I will fight for the design ideals. And no weak Bioshocks, Dishonoreds or Human Revolutions, either.
There is a huge difference in design between the classics and the new, the classics being smarter overall.

Played DX 8 or 9 times,last year tried it out but graphics are such a turn off i am not a eye candy freak when it comes to video games graphics but for some reason i couldnt go on to finish it,same goes for System Shock 2 epic game but my sorry ass *****es about graphics...

I should club you to death.

Edit: Meh.

Jerion
27th Oct 2013, 18:04
Damn, not your #1 game of all time then? Of course, nothing is really eternal, but like I said, I can see many more playthroughs yet, only the gap between each playthrough will widen steadily as the years go by.

It's a genius game, and I won't forget it, nor the Looking Glass Legacy. Whilst they may be dated games in terms of graphics/physics (all engine related), the work of the actual developers ****s on everything. They mark the height of the golden age of gaming, before the industry became hollywood.
If I become a professional developer, I will fight for the design ideals. And no Bioshocks, Dishonoreds or Human Revolutions, either.
There is a huge difference in design between the classics and the new.

It's certainly my #1 game so far. But I know it. Too well, perhaps. I know pretty much everything about playing it. There's nothing really new for me there. It will always have great memories, but I'm happy to look forward to the future. With the scale of the gratis work I've put into Revision? I will be happy to point to the game and call it a favorite. I'll be just as happy to do, or play, something new.

CyberP
27th Oct 2013, 18:09
It's certainly my #1 game so far. But I know it. Too well, perhaps. I know pretty much everything about playing it. There's nothing really new for me there. It will always have great memories, but I'm happy to look forward to the future. With the scale of the work I've put into Revision? I will be happy to point to the game and call it a favorite. I'll be just as happy to do, or play, something new.

Sure, I will always want more. But I will always make time for DX and the other classics too. Love em.

Memories fade, which can actually be an advantage. Give it 5 years and DX won't be a picture perfect memory for you anymore. You'll return :)

Also, there's my mod :p

I'll be giving Revision a run through, any news on that front anyway? Release date?

Heck, I plan to replay 007 on the gameboy some day (great game), along with pretty much all of my collection of games I've deemed worthy over the years, I am big gaming nerd anyway.

Jerion
27th Oct 2013, 18:13
Sure, I will always want more. But I will always make time for DX and the other classics too. Love em.

Memories fade, which can actually be an advantage. Give it 5 years and DX won't be a picture perfect memory for you anymore. You'll return :)

Also, there's my mod :p

I'll be giving Revision a run through, any news on that front anyway? Release date?

We're aiming for December. That might slip back to January if we end up needing more time for bug-fixes.

Cyberhuman
27th Oct 2013, 21:45

Heck, I plan to replay 007 on the gameboy some day (great game), along with pretty much all of my collection of games I've deemed worthy over the years, I am big gaming nerd anyway.

I love replaying classics as well. I've decidied to go back and play the Monkey Island games (1-3); thanks to amazing programs like ScummVm you can still experience these old classics, even on brand new systems. If I love a particular game I will eventually revisit that world and it is always exciting.

WildcatPhoenix
27th Oct 2013, 22:37
It's certainly my #1 game so far. But I know it. Too well, perhaps. I know pretty much everything about playing it. There's nothing really new for me there. It will always have great memories, but I'm happy to look forward to the future. With the scale of the gratis work I've put into Revision? I will be happy to point to the game and call it a favorite. I'll be just as happy to do, or play, something new.

I just finished yet another playthrough of DX1, and for the first time in 13 years, felt a little fatigued by the end. It was probably the most depressing sensation I've experienced in years. It's still my all-time favorite game, but like Jerion I just know it too well. I can quote the dialogue before the NPCs even speak it. I know where every bit of ammo, every datacube, every newspaper are located.

Mods are certainly fun, and I'll absolutely give it another play through with Revision on once it finishes. I guess I kinda feel like a junkie- nothing will ever reproduce the feeling of that first high, but I keep hoping.

DX: IW? Nope, finished it once and haven't touched it since.
DX: HR? One playthrough over a much longer period (had to force myself to finish it). Haven't gone back.

ClubbedToDeath
29th Oct 2013, 19:26

If I become a professional developer I will fight for the design ideals. And no weak Bioshocks, Dishonoreds or Human Revolutions, either.
There is a huge difference in design between the classics and the new, the classics being smarter overall.

I should club you to death.

Edit: Meh.

:D club your DX disc get on with your life,there are some other great games you should play

Karpaw
29th Oct 2013, 19:58
Ah, Invisible War. Where the third largest city in America (or I guess second, since LA sunk into the ocean) is completely wiped off the map in the intro sequence and for the rest of the game, this is treated as a mildly annoying event.

CyberP
29th Oct 2013, 20:54
:D club your DX disc get on with your life,there are some other great games you should play

Such as? I've probably played them all already, if they are truly great.

ClubbedToDeath
1st Nov 2013, 15:26
Such as? I've probably played them all already, if they are truly great.

You probably did play them since we both like DX games,Thief series i dont know what other games to mention maybe Riddick,Planescape Torment my other favorites :D