PDA

View Full Version : The Director's Cut - Behind the scenes!

b1skit
17th Apr 2013, 22:22
Hey guys,

A new "behind the scenes" trailer for the Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut was released today. Check out my blog post here for more info: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Directors-Cut-Behind-the-Scenes

You can find out more about the features of the Director's Cut here: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/DXHR-Directors-Cut-Announced

What's your favorite Director's Cut feature?

Parias
17th Apr 2013, 22:36

I'd *like* to say it's the revamped boss battles, as well as the direct integration of the Missing Link content into the main campaign.... however, I won't be able to experience either of these as I don't own a Wii-U.

Is there any chance at all that these updates will eventually be ported to the other platforms? I'd even pay money for this as DLC for the PC version. I understand wanting it to be Wii-U-exclusive for the first little while to boost sales, but it feels like a slap to the face to see improvements to one of the game's most-complained-about aspects (the boss battles) seemingly have no chance of actually getting ported over.

68_pie
17th Apr 2013, 23:01

Still nothing until it's on PC.

Tverdyj
17th Apr 2013, 23:07

This
+1

Ashpolt
17th Apr 2013, 23:22

+2.

Shralla
17th Apr 2013, 23:31
Seriously what's the point of even posting stuff like this that's clearly geared towards the facebook crowd on the official forums when all the responses you're going to get are going to say "nobody cares until we get it for the game we already bought"?

Ashpolt
17th Apr 2013, 23:51
Seriously what's the point of even posting stuff like this that's clearly geared towards the facebook crowd on the official forums when all the responses you're going to get are going to say "nobody cares until we get it for the game we already bought"?

I would much, much rather they post this stuff here than don't. We're always complaining at EM's marketing team for only posting stuff on FB, so let's not jump on them on the rare occasion that they post it here too.

vallux
18th Apr 2013, 00:11
I've already seen mentions of this on every possible social media platform, but it's cool that these get posted here as well. I seem to remember some people trying to avoid social media at all costs or at least protesting these FB only updates.

HERESY
18th Apr 2013, 02:22
NEW GAME + and integrated Missing Link work for me. The Wii U version is THE definitive version and you guys would be doing yourself and the fans an injustice by releasing it on platforms that don't provide the "full" experience.

FrankCSIS
18th Apr 2013, 03:43
I'm glad it's posted here, but it's slightly amusing, considering the amount of threads addressing the wii u issue.

Short answer? See posts above mine :p

Long answer: when a director's cut is released, it's normally not on a medium that forces people to buy new tech just to read it. Buying it twice when you're a zealous fan is one thing. Buying a whole new system is borderline psychotic.

PS: seems I have nothing relevant to answer. So let's go with boss battles being done well this time around.

neonfish
18th Apr 2013, 06:34
"collected all feedback" "we made it just for the wiiU" still a middle finger in the face !!!

CyberP
18th Apr 2013, 11:11
Who cares!? It's not like the DC even fixes half the problems.
Also, they may still plan to release the DC on other platforms in the future.
Just give 'em a break. What would you prefer, DX4 or a slightly improved DX3?

Count D
18th Apr 2013, 13:03
Who cares!? It's not like the DC even fixes half the problems.
Also, they may still plan to release the DC on other platforms in the future.
Just give 'em a break. What would you prefer, DX4 or a slightly improved DX3?Both.

Pinky_Powers
18th Apr 2013, 17:17

+3.

Yes, this all sounds awesome. Or would if it was not exclusive to the Wii.

:mad2:

HERESY
18th Apr 2013, 17:30
PC Elitist strike again. I see nothing of them fighting for console rights even though the console sales made it a success.

EM, you want my take? Thanks for the Wii U version, keep it on the Wii U and continue to make the games and content YOU want to make, on the platform YOU feel is best and people will appreciate the work and dedication.

FrankCSIS
18th Apr 2013, 17:42
Oh can Your crusade on this one. They say PC because their purchased copy and saves are on PC. We'd be having a problem if it were released on the Box exclusively. You know damn straight what people have argued is that we have nothing to say about it until it's released on all platforms of similar capacities, so no one has to get a new machine to (re)play a game they've purchased. It just so happens most of them are PC owners.

Parias
18th Apr 2013, 17:42
PC Elitist strike again. I see nothing of them fighting for console rights even though the console sales made it a success.

This has nothing to do with PC elitism for me. I own all the major current-gen consoles (Wii-U aside, but I do own a Wii). I have fun playing Halo, Metal Gear Solid, etc on the various platforms they're available for. But it is true that I always favor the PC platform - whenever possible, I'd much rather play a game on my PC than a console (primarily for the control, graphical, and modding benefits). If a game is available on the PC, I'll play it there. If it's not, fair enough.

I also understand and accept DX:HR's success as a multiplatform title - this probably helped the game's sales and success immensely. To this end, I can even understand the new director's cut features being Wii-U exclusive....

...But only for a period of time. Sure, go ahead and have the features exclusive to the platform for a few months or something to bolster sales - I'm definitely not saying the Wii-U should NOT benefit from these updates. But I also feel the publisher should seriously consider backporting these updates to the other platforms afterward. Again, I'd even be willing to PAY for this (although not a huge amount). I'd be immensely disappointed if these improvements were stuck on the Wii-U platform forever - it would be a tremendous loss.

Ilves
18th Apr 2013, 18:38
Yeeesh, you guys are too easy. Stop falling for the bait, for crying out loud.

Jerion
18th Apr 2013, 18:51
+3.

:mad2:

It is awesome. I do wish it was available on the platform by which I prefer to play games, the personal computer, the platform sometimes infamously beset by people besotted with belittling those of another gaming persuasion. I don't begrudge the Wii U players their option.

MasterTaffer
18th Apr 2013, 19:02
I'm looking forward to it, being one of the handful of people who actually own the console.

Pinky_Powers
18th Apr 2013, 19:35
I'm trying to remember... did Blade Runner Director's Cut appear only on one particular model of Samsung DVD player?

HERESY
18th Apr 2013, 19:44
I'm trying to remember... did Blade Runner Director's Cut appear only on one particular model of Samsung DVD player?

This fails on ALL levels.

Jerion
18th Apr 2013, 19:52

Bad comparison. You can do better.

hyperion86
18th Apr 2013, 20:16
I would say Boss battles, New game+ and integration of the missing link ;)

It would be cool if some of the changes were also released for PC and consoles, after all its the same game. (I own it in PS3 Augmented Edition and PC standard + all DLCs, buying it again seems too much, although I would definitely buy if they released some of the changes as a DLC).

68_pie
18th Apr 2013, 20:20
As N3ON pointed out in the other thread:

“Right now, this is the best-looking Deus Ex. It’s even sharper than the PC version.”

“Pedneault said the team is not currently planning to institute any changes made for the Director’s Cut into the Xbox 360, PS3, or PC versions of the game.”

via mynintendonews.com (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/03/deus-ex-wii-u-is-even-sharper-than-pc-version-wii-u-features-wont-come-to-other-platforms/)

Wow...

b1skit
18th Apr 2013, 20:22
+3.

To be fair, a lot of the new Director's Cut features are specific to the WiiU (due to the the additional functionality that the WiiU gamepad provides) and would simply not be possible on current generation platforms (console OR PC).

I do understand that a lot of features found in the Director's Cut WOULD be possible on other platforms though, and I can assure you that I've passed this sentiment on to the dev team :)

Parias
18th Apr 2013, 20:24
As N3ON pointed out in the other thread:

via mynintendonews.com (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/03/deus-ex-wii-u-is-even-sharper-than-pc-version-wii-u-features-wont-come-to-other-platforms/)

Wow...

That's exactly my concern - I'm hoping the developers realize from the feedback that the desire to get these improvements on PC / other platforms is there, and we're even willing to pay money for it.

Edit: Thanks b1skit, good to know. I'm not worried at all about the Wii-U-specific features - I'm mainly thinking about the improved boss battles and integration of missing link directly into the main campaign - these have been two of my biggest pet peeves for the longest of times. I really hope these improvements come to the other platforms.

b1skit
18th Apr 2013, 20:53
I'm mainly thinking about the improved boss battles and integration of missing link directly into the main campaign - these have been two of my biggest pet peeves for the longest of times. I really hope these improvements come to the other platforms.

Completely understood - I've passed this exact sentiment on to the team, thanks for the feedback :)

FrankCSIS
19th Apr 2013, 00:46
Bad comparison. You can do better.

It's not that far fetched. It would have been more accurate to ask however if the Blade Runner ultimate edition was only available for Blue Ray, or the now defunct HD format.

As for this debacle, I would be happy to tell a Wii U owning friend to grab the game if he's never played it before. That is as far as my involvement would ever get. No problem with that console per say, but over the years I've found little use for my Wii, and so will pass on this new one. I'm getting too old and have seen too many passing trains to get excited over gimmicks in the gaming world. Fifteen years ago I might have harassed my parents to get one, though :p

neonfish
19th Apr 2013, 08:10
I do understand that a lot of features found in the Director's Cut WOULD be possible on other platforms though, and I can assure you that I've passed this sentiment on to the dev team :)

Thanks b1skit

To be fair, I hate that all the love and care and money went into creating the Best version for absolute minority of Deus ex players. I have no problem killing the bosses "the stupid way" it is such a little part of the game. I don't mind also starting another game when I need the missing link (actually I play just missing link when I need a quick fix so I kind of like that it is separated) I dont mind the Wii u specifics and the Grapchical improvement.Looks cool, but I hate that all this "developer love" tovards the game is wasted and only a few will experience it. I think all the platforms should have been updated.It is the right thing to do. But If the dev team says that they could not waste resources because they are working on Deus ex 4 atm I can totaly understand that. But the only comunication is thru videos where they always say " We listened to the fans and made it totaly better for the Wii U " and that's insulting in a way.:mad2:

sea
19th Apr 2013, 13:39
Why should I have to buy another platform to get access to game content that should have been in the original to begin with?

HERESY
19th Apr 2013, 16:20
Why should I have to buy another platform to get access to game content that should have been in the original to begin with?

What you're asking has nothing to do with what you quoted but I'll address it. You said the game content should have been in the original, but you and others are forgetting TML started development AFTER the game went gold. Revamped boss battles were created well AFTER the games was released and after internal and external feedback. So what "should" have been in the original?

Shralla
19th Apr 2013, 17:23
All of it, because that's called a "patch."

sadmachine
19th Apr 2013, 19:30

Patch them into the PS3 copy I bought on release day and I'll let you know.

HERESY
19th Apr 2013, 21:22
All of it, because that's called a "patch."

I thought you were ignoring me, son? So it's called a patch? So why does TML have to accessed from the menu? Why didn't they patch it?

Anyway I can't wait to play the superior Wii U version. This is the second game, in my entire life, that I've purchased for two plats.

ColBashar
20th Apr 2013, 14:57
My understanding of it was that TML was made into a separate executable because of changes made to the graphics engine that were incompatible with Human Revolution. Based on this, I don't think it's possible to "patch" older versions to the Director's Cut. I mean, at least not without expending development resources to recompile the architecture.

I think the only reason that the "Director's Cut" even exists is because the WiiU is a latecomer to the market. Once Square made the decision to invest the resources toward branching the franchise to a new platform, once those resources had already been earmarked to rebuild the architecture from the ground up, implementing the Director's Cut features wasn't out of the way. So the Director's Cut, as I see it, is an incidental convenience made possible by the WiiU. If the WiiU had been around in 2011 then there would have been no impetus to rebuild the game a year and a half later and the improved boss fights and TML integration would be a wishlist rather than a reality.

So I can understand where Square is coming from in saying that there probably won't be a "Director's Cut" version for the older platforms. Porting isn't a matter of pressing a button, it costs time and money. That's why Nixxes, an entirely separate studio, was brought in, because Eidos Monetral couldn't make all of the ports for all of the platforms on its own.

Having said this, though, that's not to say that Eidos Montreal might not release certain aspects of the Director's Cut as a patch. I think that's the real thrust behind b1skit's question at the start of this thread. The way I interpret it, it sounds like he's saying, "You're not going to get the Director's Cut, but what aspects of it would you most like to see on your preferred platform so that Eidos Montreal and see if it's feasible to implement as a patch." For my part, I really don't need TML integration. I think it works best as a stand-alone anyway. I'm more interested in the boss battles. But if the community insists on adopting an all-or-nothing attitude, we might end up with nothing.

In my opinion, the real issue here is Square marketing the WiiU version as a distinct "Director's Cut". If they'd just promoted it as a new version of the same game rather than something uniquely special, I think people would be more inclined to see the trees for the forest and we'd be having a healthy discussion right now about which features we'd like to see patched rather than demanding a wholesale port of the WiiU version to the platforms for which Human Revolution had already been developed.

I'm very happy with Human Revolution as-is. It may not be the game that I hoped to play, it may not be the "Deus Ex" that I know and love, but it's a whole heck of a lot of fun and really well produced. There's nothing -wrong- with the game. It's not as if it's buggy and the WiiU users are the only people who are going to get the stable version that doesn't crash. If that were the case then I'd be angry, too. But it's not and I'm not going to get upset because some other platform gets one or two features which, while nice, don't fundamentally change the gameplay experience.

WildcatPhoenix
20th Apr 2013, 17:07
I'm very happy with Human Revolution as-is. It may not be the game that I hoped to play, it may not be the "Deus Ex" that I know and love, but it's a whole heck of a lot of fun and really well produced. There's nothing -wrong- with the game. It's not as if it's buggy and the WiiU users are the only people who are going to get the stable version that doesn't crash. If that were the case then I'd be angry, too. But it's not and I'm not going to get upset because some other platform gets one or two features which, while nice, don't fundamentally change the gameplay experience.

Very, very well said, ColBashar.

At this point I'm much more concerned about getting things right for DX4 and less about fixing minor annoyances from DXHR. Merging TML into the main story arc does nothing to make me want to play through DXHR again. Yeah, fixing the stupid boss battles would be a major improvement, but it still wouldn't push the game above a B+ in my book.

I'm much more interested in hearing future plans for DX4 regarding:
1. Melee weapons
2. A viable skill system
3. Optional 3rd person
4. Highlighting/health regen as augs

And so on.

FrankCSIS
20th Apr 2013, 17:13
The Colonel is quite right. Understand I'm rambling like John Lemmon because the question was openly asked ;) I am surviving quite well without this Ultime Mindblowing edition thus far, and have enjoyed HR for what it was.

CyberP
20th Apr 2013, 18:40
Very, very well said, ColBashar.

At this point I'm much more concerned about getting things right for DX4 and less about fixing minor annoyances from DXHR. Merging TML into the main story arc does nothing to make me want to play through DXHR again. Yeah, fixing the stupid boss battles would be a major improvement, but it still wouldn't push the game above a B+ in my book.

I'm much more interested in hearing future plans for DX4 regarding:
1. Melee weapons
2. A viable skill system
3. Optional 3rd person
4. Highlighting/health regen as augs

And so on.

+1

Tverdyj
20th Apr 2013, 20:01
if we were to get any of the director's cut features on PC, obviously the one I'd want are the new boss battles.

making TML mesh with the rest of the game would be nice (even if this meant ditching the fancy rain graphical pretties), but not-essential.
Boss battles, otoh... I'd play the game again if they made it not a chore to deal with bosses. I'd love to have to deal with Namir non-violently with broken augs.

bat_brain
11th May 2013, 22:46
personally, i'd be much more inclined to purchase this as a dlc expansion, vs. a whole new console, just to try this here directors cut.

a season pass for all the dlc would also be nice.

furydeath
15th May 2013, 10:50
I don't care for the additional functionality the WiiU gamepad give's like most people I'd be in it for the newly made bosses so i can FINALLY do a full stealth fun or no gun used run. After I had started speed running it being forced to do the pre-order mission every time having to do the missing link part too makes the speed runner in me go NOOOOOO D:

That and if 4A Games and charge $5 for a difficulty level in metro: last light I think I vould pay $5 for some new bosses lol

Darthassin
16th May 2013, 11:48
http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=108531

New video with Wii U version.

Shralla
16th May 2013, 17:19
Meh.

-Neon-
18th May 2013, 17:24
Wii U sales are dismal, apparently. The guy I normally watch for playthroughs stated that it's the worst selling Nintendo console after the VirtualBoy.

What a shame.

68_pie
18th May 2013, 18:06
What a shame.

Why is it a shame?

FrankCSIS
18th May 2013, 19:01
Did I not call it a gimmick? I believe I called it a gimmick. I don't know how well it will do in the long run, but it does deserve to stand in Virtuaboy territory, because that's pretty much what it is.

-Neon-
18th May 2013, 22:30
Why is it a shame?

Because Nintendo hyped it up so much, and it's a big let down of a console. EA has stated there's no titles in development for the console from them, so combined with the fact that Nintendo themselves haven't announced too many great titles, it would seem that Wii U owners are getting the end of a really short stick.

Did I not call it a gimmick? I believe I called it a gimmick. I don't know how well it will do in the long run, but it does deserve to stand in Virtuaboy territory, because that's pretty much what it is.

It's a current gen console marketed as next-gen. Now that the PS4 has been announced, with the new Xbox announcement coming in a few days, few publishers will be aiming for Wii U releases.

PegasusOrgans
25th May 2013, 00:12
I made an account JUST to comment on this one subject. As a gamer
that's been around since long before the first Deus Ex I think this is
absolute BS. The development team went on and on about their love
of the original games and their dedication to make the PC version decent
since Deus Ex was LARGELY A PC-CENTRIC FRANCHISE. Now they go and
reward an audience that couldn't be further from the target audience!!
Are you flipping kidding me?! Really? Do you think the Mario crowd ever
played Deus Ex? But I digress. Look, I appreciate that ANY work was
done to improve it, but all the apologists kinda sicken me. They CAN'T
patch it in cuz of some reason or other? Yet CD Projekt could patch both
Witcher games FOR FREE and stay in business? Not only that, they're doing
wonderfully. If you hadn't heard, they've got two major triple A games
coming out in the next year or two. Yet Deus Ex 3 can't be patched.

CyberP
25th May 2013, 00:38

The problem stems from DX3 being multiplatform (3x patches is a lot of money) and Square-Enix's recent losses (maybe).

Myself, I don't really care. It's not like DX3 is anywhere near close to perfection so a few tweaks ain't going to make much of a difference.
I am also kinda happy the WiiU crowd get to experience the game, it is a good game after all.
And have you seen half of their "improvements"? I wouldn't want it anyway.

Just play many of the numerous DX mods out there for free instead ;)

Additionally, you really shouldn't expect anything from them after the business models they have employed already. Cutting content out of the game & in-game ads.
There is only one true DX game, the original. That said I'm still hyped for what inferior but still awesome DX game EM have in store for us next!

xaduha2
25th May 2013, 01:01
Yet Deus Ex 3 can't be patched.
Of course it can be, it's a question of money and effort required. Corporate structure matters too.
Some companies are better than others, whatcha gonna do?

HERESY
25th May 2013, 05:33

And what exactly did PC players do to keep the franchise alive? Most of the sales came from console sales, not pc, so you need to thank the console owners who forked over their dough. That target audience you speak of? LMAO!

Kamikave
25th May 2013, 06:10
And what exactly did PC players do to keep the franchise alive? Most of the sales came from console sales, not pc, so you need to thank the console owners who forked over their dough. That target audience you speak of? LMAO!

Huh... The PC players kept a strong community around the first Deux Ex for years. They still do. Isn't that enough ?
Still, your comment is right regarding HR.

FrankCSIS
25th May 2013, 15:39

There are two odd generalisations in there. The first one is to include PS3, 360 and Wii U in a general bundle called "console gamers". Why are Wii U owners "rewarded" because of other consoles' sales? I can't see why Wii U are meant to fit in a group, when they have no established market yet, and their demographic do not necessarily correspond to that of XBox or Sony owners. Even though I disagree with the whole concept of demography, even within that logic Wii U has no place being thrown into that group. It was a gamble they took, most likely a low-risk one, because surely Nintendo sponsored and paid for the entire development. And that is the only reasoning behind that release. No target demographic, no thanking their console crowd. Just slightly expanding their crowd all the while being paid by a third party to do so.

Second, PC owners do have consoles. Like most people, including those on this very forum, as a gamer, I generally carry a vast array of gaming machines, consoles and PC alike. And like many gamers, I pick my titles on the medium of my choice. I may purchase one title on a pc, and others on a console. As a gamer, I keep the entire industry alive, in all of its aspects. Because I picked HR for PC does not make me less of a target demographic. I could very well pick their new titles from the franchise on a next gen console down the road. It may be financially profitable to categorize people, but it does not represent reality. At five years old, I was gaming on three consoles. At 12, we had about six consoles in the house, and a dedicated pc gaming machine. It has always been like this. The industry is an organic whole, and it survives and thrives as a whole. You can't box one demographic, and pretend to be able to live without them, because they're all interconnected.

Edit: I do agree, however, that no one owes anyone anything, and to say otherwise is profoundly silly. It is entirely their prerogative to decide not to patch the PS3 or PC versions, or whichever. All I wished to say is, let's not hide behind market research and silly demographic concepts to try and justify one's self. They chose not to offer free updates for their games, it is of course their right to do so, and that's the end of the story.

HERESY
25th May 2013, 16:56
There are two odd generalisations in there. The first one is to include PS3, 360 and Wii U in a general bundle called "console gamers".

There are no odd generalizations and I made no reference to the Wii U in regards to sales.

Why are Wii U owners "rewarded" because of other consoles' sales?

They aren't "rewarded" anything. The reason the Wii U is supported with this version is because it's the platform that allowed the creators to create the game they had in mind.

I can't see why Wii U are meant to fit in a group, when they have no established market yet, and their demographic do not necessarily correspond to that of XBox or Sony owners.

See above.

Even though I disagree with the whole concept of demography, even within that logic Wii U has no place being thrown into that group. It was a gamble they took, most likely a low-risk one, because surely Nintendo sponsored and paid for the entire development. And that is the only reasoning behind that release. No target demographic, no thanking their console crowd. Just slightly expanding their crowd all the while being paid by a third party to do so.

See above.

Second, PC owners do have consoles.

I never said they didn't. However, my post was in response to PegasusOrgans' talk about the game being "LARGELY A PC-CENTRIC FRANCHISE" and how they aren't hitting their target audience.

Like most people, including those on this very forum, as a gamer, I generally carry a vast array of gaming machines, consoles and PC alike. And like many gamers, I pick my titles on the medium of my choice. I may purchase one title on a pc, and others on a console. As a gamer, I keep the entire industry alive, in all of its aspects. Because I picked HR for PC does not make me less of a target demographic. I could very well pick their new titles from the franchise on a next gen console down the road. It may be financially profitable to categorize people, but it does not represent reality. At five years old, I was gaming on three consoles. At 12, we had about six consoles in the house, and a dedicated pc gaming machine. It has always been like this. The industry is an organic whole, and it survives and thrives as a whole. You can't box one demographic, and pretend to be able to live without them, because they're all interconnected.

See above. I own two consoles and a handheld and pick my games based on which platform has the best performance. No, you aren't less of a target demographic because you picked the game up on pc. Your money, like everyone else who spends money on games, is what's keeping the industry alive. The problem however stems from the pc community thinking companies owe them something because a franchise/IP started on pc and ended up some place else.

Edit: I do agree, however, that no one owes anyone anything, and to say otherwise is profoundly silly. It is entirely their prerogative to decide not to patch the PS3 or PC versions, or whichever. All I wished to say is, let's not hide behind market research and silly demographic concepts to try and justify one's self. They chose not to offer free updates for their games, and that's the end of the story.

I agree with most of this. However, with the exception of the PC version, I don't think they could have simply provided a patch to fix everything. We're talking new levels (boss fights), new AI, new lighting, new this and new that. That's going to come in at a hefty sizable chunk, probably the size of the game itself, so it may not have been technically feasible to do so. Then you have the fact that the new additions (not the wii specific controller stuff) were developed on the wii U so now you have to port those things so they'll run on 360 and PS3 (the pc shouldn't be a problem.) It takes time to do things like that and time is money, so now it becomes a question of budget.

FrankCSIS
25th May 2013, 17:16
Ok part of my reply was dishonest. It's all mostly irrelevant to bring up pc or console sales and crowds anyway though, because PS3 and 360 did not get a free upgrade either. Pegasus may make some odd claims, but he's got a quarter of a point to mention it is a bit odd to release the ULTIMATE edition on a non-established Wii U console with no past history to the franchise, or even the game. I'm not stupid enough to overlook the impossibility of translating the features of the Wii U controller on another outlet. But, they did decide not to upgrade other features for their past sales. It was their choice, and it is the one they opted for. I'm still convinced it was a product decision based on a subsidy from Nintendo however, which makes the Ultimate tag a little insulting.

They also DID say they went a long way to respect the PC roots of the original game. It does sort of make it sound, in retrospect, a bit like marketing talk, when you release your ultimate version on a newly-released, non-established console. Especially when said version includes changes asked and suggested by your past clients.

We can't blame people for reacting to that choice either. It's the public's prerogative to react positively or negatively to a business decision, just as it was the company's prerogative to make the decision in the first place. Some public claims are just crazier than others.

Sirandar
29th May 2013, 16:54
Devs are in a bind when it comes to their past games .... they are a great asset but also a dangerous competitor to their games in development.

That is why no dev ever spends any significant effort to improve their released games or even fix sometimes gamebreaking bugs. Bethesda is bad for this and even years after release 1/2 their quests still don't work properly unless a modder fixes it.

Their own previously released games can bring them down because they are dirt cheap and often way better than the games they plan on releasing. A funny example is the Fallout Series where Obsidian released Fallout New Vegas using the same platform used for Fallout and was a far better game especially after modders got a hold of it.

Deus Ex HR was a great game but the dev isn't going to significantly improve it anyway no matter what platform it is release on ..... only modders are willing to do that (they should be paid too IMO).

I would love to see the original Mass Effect remade addressing all the flaws and fleshing out the story in a way that DLCs and side quests never do. You could easily add 2 more games in to the ME1 story and if done properly it would make a very compelling game.

I would love to enjoy computer gaming right now but there simply isn't anything worth the time playing. Gaming is that broken. Mass Effect Series, Deus Ex HR, Antichamber, Fallout NV are the last games I played. Bioshock Infinate almost made it as it started out very well, but then it just degraded into another pointless shooter with a huge anonymous body count and people constantly screaming at you...... When I can hack the game to make combat a cakewalk I may go back and play it for the story but as it is there is way too much tedious shooting to get to the plot bits.

PegasusOrgans
4th Jun 2013, 03:48
I may have sounded a bit harsh, but it was not because I am owed anything, but out of love of a franchise I'ved followed for over a decade. I too own many systems. Frankly, the only one I don't own is a Wii-U, and don't plan to any time soon (despite Shin Megami Vs. Fire Emblem, ugh).

Heresy, what did PC gamers do to keep it alive? Do gamers now have the power to revive franchises? Ok... well, I want a New Planescape:Torment (DONE!)... Who was that?! Anyway. Just because consoles sold more copies of Deus Ex does not change reality. Deus Ex was born on the PC. Deus Ex is regularly on every "top ten PC games of all time" list. Deus Ex plays best w/ a mouse and keyboard. And lastly, there is still an active modding community around the first game to boot!

The console editions sold despite the name or were bought by PC Gamers no longer able to keep a gaming PC upgraded... or just too lazy to update drivers.

So sure, they owe me nothing. They don't owe even SELLING me a Director's Cut patch... but, likewise, I owe them nothing. Nor do I feel like pre-ordering their next game like I will with CD Projekt's The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

3rdmillhouse
5th Jun 2013, 17:34
Wake me up when this content gets released on actual gaming platforms and not on Nintendo's latest techonological suicide.

PegasusOrgans
5th Jun 2013, 21:19
Deus Ex: The Fall is an iPhone/Ipad exclusive. Absolute proof that the IP owners don't understand the franchise they're trying to pimp out. I couldn't ask for better evidence to prove my stance.

HERESY
5th Jun 2013, 21:25
Deus Ex: The Fall is an iPhone/Ipad exclusive. Absolute proof that the IP owners don't understand the franchise they're trying to pimp out. I couldn't ask for better evidence to prove my stance.

Absolute proof that they understand transmedia and the direction the franchise needs to go to surive. I couldn't ask for better evidence to prove my stance.