PDA

View Full Version : Eidos Montreal Interview

PDLM
15th Apr 2013, 16:15
Hello, ladies and gents! I just uploaded an interview I've conducted with Jean-Francois Dugas, the Executive Game Director of Human Revolution. We talk about all things Deus Ex and corn stabbings. Also, we have some pretty cool, exclusive info pertaining to the Wii-U version of the game.

This is the first of a long line of podcasts we will be doing, so if you wanna hear us chat with different devs in the gaming industry, I encourage you to stay tuned. Also, tell me what you guys think. I would love some constructive criticism to improve the quality on future podcasts, so I can set the bar as high as possible! :D

http://youtu.be/MKzbHCTtgHk

CyberP
15th Apr 2013, 17:28
My opinion:

-Less juvenile clowning around, more serious talk. Get better jokes too.
-You interrupted him whilst he was talking 2-3 times, probably shouldn't do that.

Focus on those two points first. Some good questions asked at least.

What the majority of your future fanbase will probably think:

-You were awesome.
-Boobies.
-Mass Effect is teh $hit.

Feel free to ignore me, I'm no game journalist, just a douchebag.

Shralla
15th Apr 2013, 18:30
That video is so long there's literally no point in even trying to find the interesting parts. What on earth did you talk about for an hour? Do you have a transcript?

CyberP
15th Apr 2013, 18:34
That video is so long there's literally no point in even trying to find the interesting parts. What on earth did you talk about for an hour? Do you have a transcript?

What the hell, A hour long talk is long to you? Podcasts are usually around 1 hour in length on average.

PDLM
15th Apr 2013, 18:57
Thanks for the feedback! It is juvenile-- hell, it can get really juvenile. But that's our style. We approach our interviews with a somewhat silly stance and I think it gets pretty interesting results.

As for the length of the podcast, yeah, an hour is pretty darn long. But it's something that you listen to while grinding in a videogame, taking a walk, etc. Think of it more of a radio show you will have on in the background.

I was thinking of doing an abridged-style of podcast initially, but ultimately it wasn't something I thought would be fun.

68_pie
15th Apr 2013, 19:36
Can someone give me the notes? Anything actually relevant?

JCpies
15th Apr 2013, 20:02
0/10

This didn't have JF reading out Naruto x Deus Ex fanfics.

PDLM
15th Apr 2013, 20:29
0/10

This didn't have JF reading out Naruto x Deus Ex fanfics.

How could I have been so blind?! I will make up for that mistake next time I talk to him.

CyberP
15th Apr 2013, 21:11
Can someone give me the notes? Anything actually relevant?

JFD doesn't agree with brutal gore in games if the reason is "just because" therefore that is the reason there is none in HR. Sounds like an excuse to me. If they really cared they wouldn't have allowed you to shove arm blades into the chest of random hookers :lol:
That's more explicit than the sight of some blood decals or gibs, imo. Also the reason for gore in Deus Ex is not "just because", it's for adding realism. All the little things matter, but you cannot account for everything and gore/gash decals are low priority so fair enough.

He thought Invisible War was a great game on it's own but DX set the bar really high therefore IW was disappointing, which is my stance too.

He mentioned reading and having a laugh at some mail from some DX fans when HR screenshots were first revealed years ago. Said fan mail was people outraged over the black & gold color theme. These fans sent pictures of previous cyberpunk works claiming that they represent what cyberpunk colours are meant to be.
JFD said there is no set colours that cyberpunk settings have to adhere to, and I agree to a certain extent, however I myself wish they did not go so overboard with it. It's cool to have a theme but it was overused imo. Variety is good.

He claimed TML was not pulled from the game (though he never addressed the weapons or Tong Mission).
He said right from the start they had planned DLC, which they worked on whilst the game was going gold and after release.
If true that's more than fair.

The interviewers asked JFD why they & Mccann went for a more subtle approach with the soundtrack when compared to DX. He said they wanted it to be more "modern" and that a DX style soundtrack is outdated, which pissed me off.
I found the soundtrack to HR above average myself but that it could have been much better & wish there were a few more DX style tracks, a good few more actually.
Anyway, after he said that the podcast guys chimed in with "I'm surprised there was no dubstep then" (referring to the "modern" approach) or something along those lines. I found that funny, and thank God or Buddha or Helios there was no ******* dubstep.

They asked if Warren Spector had any involvement in HR's development (should have done your research guys!) to which ended up with JFD talking about his team receiving WS' approval when showing him a demo and EM being overjoyed.

JFD stressed that HR was their own take on DX whilst aiming for it to still feel like Deus Ex overall.

I like EM & HR, but I hope they take more from DX next time round and set out to make the best damn game they possibly can, much like Warren Spector did.
HR is better than IW though and a game i'd recommend to anyone that calls themselves a gamer.

JFD also mentioned it was his standard to get the team to study the source material (Deus Ex and Invisible War), which was a smart and respectable move, imo. I have seen so many of my favorite franchises destroyed by teams making terrible "modern" remakes/sequels that turn out to be brainless shooters, RPGS whatever.
Say what you want about HR but it was smart & had much educational value when compared to what is on the market right now.

As you can see, PDLM asked some good questions which led to these answers so credit where it's due. And guys, sorry if my criticism was harsh, if that's your style then fair enough. Still need better jokes though :rasp:

PDLM
15th Apr 2013, 21:25
That was very detailed and very well-thought out. I didn't think your criticism was too harsh, I thought it was a bit insightful. Even though I respectfully disagree with some points, they're still valid. Thank you very much! =D

CyberP
15th Apr 2013, 21:45
:)

Good luck with the future. And I am ******* jealous of your job. I'd probably kill for JFD's though :(

Shralla
15th Apr 2013, 22:40
What the hell, A hour long talk is long to you? Podcasts are usually around 1 hour in length on average.

I don't ever listen to podcasts because I'm more interested in talking about things with my friends than listening to other people and their friends talk about things. If a podcast has an exclusive interview or something, I'll listen to that part of it, but otherwise, not my thing.

CyberP
15th Apr 2013, 23:05
I don't ever listen to podcasts because I'm more interested in talking about things with my friends than listening to other people and their friends talk about things. If a podcast has an exclusive interview or something, I'll listen to that part of it, but otherwise, not my thing.

If the subject matter interests me and i'm in the mood i'll listen, such as the RPS interviews of some Looking Glass devs, and this one.
It's not much different than listening to anything else, as in it doesn't mean you have to give it your full attention.
It's not much different than watching some TV or listening to the radio. But those are not really my thing either.

Ilves
16th Apr 2013, 00:53
PDLM, you really want to invest in proper recording equipment if you want to ramp up your professionalism.

PDLM
16th Apr 2013, 06:45
PDLM, you really want to invest in proper recording equipment if you want to ramp up your professionalism.

Gotcha. I am looking to buy two really top-notch XLR mics with respective pop filters. Considering there's two interviewers, I don't think my single Yeti mic will suffice much longer. Personally, I think it sounds good from a production stand-point (if you listen closely, you can hear a tad flanger to the lows of our voices to give it that nice crispy sound), but I agree that it can sound much better.

68_pie
16th Apr 2013, 12:19
*snip*

Thanks, Cyber.

I wish one of us would have the chance to interview JFD so we could try to actually get some straight answers about the big issues.

CyberP
16th Apr 2013, 12:34
I didn't pay attention to it all though, my notes are a quick summary of < half of the answers. I remember DLC starring another character being discussed (the idea was scrapped thankfully), something about that terrible game Batman: Arkham Asylum, mention of Deus Ex: Human Defiance, something about the Wii U version, discussing the dialogue system & conversation battles...I remember details on that last one actually:

Wayne Haas was the first conversation battle they ever created.
With the Conversation Battles they aimed for it to feel like dealing with a troubled person in real life, rather than the generic black & white/renegade paragon "gamey" approach. I approve of the way it was handled. However although the battles were very good, what about just normal conversing with NPCs? There are tons of life-like NPCs in DX (not visually), but in HR it's the other way round, they are just pretty deco.
Ok, "just pretty deco" was an exaggeration, but they were disappointing compared to the thousands of lines of excellent optional dialogue in DX. And also in HR conversation battles the NPCs were anything but "just pretty deco", some of the most life-like characters ever in a game I say.

I wish one of us would have the chance to interview JFD so we could try to actually get some straight answers about the big issues.

I'd take on the challenge :cool:

WildcatPhoenix
16th Apr 2013, 14:30
something about that terrible game Batman: Arkham Asylum

Whoa whoa whoa, say what now? :eek:

OT aside, I would love to see someone pose some tougher questions to the guys at EM (oh, you know, like the questions a lot of us have been asking on this board for over five years now?). Wouldn't bet on it ever happening though.

CyberP
16th Apr 2013, 15:14
I would link you to my thoughts on it elsewhere, but I cannot find them.
The gameplay is very automatic, plays out for you. Maybe as a Batman game it's good, but as a game in general it's not.
Imagine if DX:HR gameplay as a whole played out similarly to the Takedown mechanic. That is what the two recent Batman games are almost. You get close to your target (be it something to grapple, jump onto or kill) then press action and watch as Batman does all the skills. There is far more to mention, such as the everlasting detective mode that highlights everything interactive even through walls. Modern third person action games are all so automated, give me Ninja Gaiden 1 (The only good exclusive on the original Xbox), Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, The Punisher, Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, the list goes on. All there is worthy in modern times is Dark Souls.

The Punisher is the better comic book game :p

HERESY
16th Apr 2013, 19:40
Gotcha. I am looking to buy two really top-notch XLR mics with respective pop filters. Considering there's two interviewers, I don't think my single Yeti mic will suffice much longer. Personally, I think it sounds good from a production stand-point (if you listen closely, you can hear a tad flanger to the lows of our voices to give it that nice crispy sound), but I agree that it can sound much better.

I listened to it and the recording and acoustics caught my attention. XLR is a connection type not a mic type. Ribbon, dynamic and condensor are mic types. For what you're doing a Shure SM7B would work. However, you can have the best mic in the world but if your pre amp and converters are crap you're wasting your time so make sure you're front end is decent.

No need for flange, delays, reverb, etc. Proper gain staging first, compression, eq and de-essing as needed.

Good interview.