PDA

View Full Version : How does BO2 exist on the different timeline?

Tox1cboy
20th Mar 2013, 16:50
Basically, what happens in the story that wouldn't have happened if it had been in the previous timeline?

Lord_Aevum
20th Mar 2013, 17:47
Nobody knows, because we aren't told, but almost literally everything in BO2 hinges on Janos Audron being resurrected by Raziel in Defiance (and, to a lesser extent, on Vorador being resurrected at some other time). Janos is required for the Hylden Lord and the Glyphwrights to enter the Material Realm, and Vorador is required for BO2's entire generation of vampires to exist.

In previous timelines where the events of Defiance and Vorador's resurrection didn't happen, you could presume that:

No Janos means -> Hylden Gate remains unused -> no Hylden enter Material -> possibly no revived Sarafan -> possibly no vampire-Sarafan war -> possibly no battle of Meridian -> Kain possibly retains the Reaver and is never defeated -> possibly a completely different plot.
No Vorador means -> no vampire army -> no vampire-Sarafan war -> possibly no battle of Meridian -> Kain possibly retains the Reaver and is never defeated -> possibly a completely different plot.

Now, it's possible that, in the previous timelines, Kain still went to Meridian and/or fought a new Sarafan order or something like them (such as the Legions of the Nemesis or the Demon Hunters), but if we accept the premise that he remained the only vampire in Nosgoth until history was altered, neither the Hylden nor fellow vampires could have been involved. That means glyph magic probably wasn't "discovered", and therefore the entire aesthetic of Nosgoth and plot of the game could have been very, very different.

I personally assume that he just wandered around in the shadows for four hundred years, generally observing the world before he found out how to raise vampires, as SR2 seems to suggest.

Tox1cboy
20th Mar 2013, 19:58
Wow! I wonder if Dark Prophecy was going to answer the remaining questions. I hope they wind up making it (finishing it?) at some point.

Thanks!

Reidbynature
6th Aug 2013, 21:09
Whatever game does choose to take up the main story again progress it or even finish the main arc I would like to see Kain finally kill the Elder God as well as seeing those unanswered questions solved. I wouldn't mind if after that the LoK games could have a Vampire vs Hylden war (with humans stuck in the middle) in the aftermath of EG's death and the Hylden back on Nosgoth.

I also wouldn't say no to seeing games that explore Nosgoth outside of the main story, but also are story driven like previous games. Whether those games should star Kain or a different protagonist either would be fine for me.