PDA

View Full Version : I think I bought the wrong game

WarrenSpec
18th Mar 2013, 23:33
Hi, hope someone can point out what I might have done here.

I bought a game called "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" because I loved the first Deus Ex game. However, the game that was installed on my computer seems to have more in common with Ninja Gaiden.

I chose the easiest level setting and went for the stealthy-hacking approach. I've been killed more times than I can count, and the first boss has just killed me for the tenth time. At no time have I been able to engage him for more than thirty seconds without being obliterated, half the time by an explosion which seemed to come from nowhere, and the other half because he can hit you from anywhere he pleases on the screen.

Is this some kind of bug, or did the designers of this game just ruin the name of one of the greatest pieces of software ever programmed?

Just curious. If the game's going to continue in this vein, I might as well just deinstall it and go back to playing games which encourage enjoyment.

ZakKa89
19th Mar 2013, 00:08
nub

-Neon-
19th Mar 2013, 00:17
If you've put points into camoflauge, activate it and get to one of the side rooms. If I remember correctly, there are barrels and whatnot you can toss to divert his attention while you're trying to do this. There are enough grenades and mines scattered about that you can easily take him down with by being quick on your feet, even if you've put few Praxis into combat augs. Assuming you have at least one lethal weapon, aim for the head.

Zoet
19th Mar 2013, 01:07
Don't give up! The boss battles are difficult when you are not prepared properly, and in my first playthrough I had quite a bit of difficulty with them. But experience taught me that explosives are your friend, as they do lots of damage and stagger them. If I remember correctly, the stun gun works well on the bosses too, freezing them in place long enough for you to throw a grenade or make a retreat. Even if you are playing as a nonlethal Jensen, keep some grenades handy for the boss fights. Look up some YouTube videos too. The first boss tosses lots of grenades, so that was probably the explosion that was killing you.

Solid_1723
19th Mar 2013, 08:05
You can beat the first boss without any hassle by simply throwing the green and red barrels at him. Hide behind a pillar while he shoots at you and throw the next one or two barrels when he's done. It works great on Give me Deus Ex and should be that much easier on easy difficulty.

CyberP
19th Mar 2013, 10:31
nub

This.

DX:HR is disappointing when compared to DX1, but at least it still requires you to use your head and is not a walk in the park. Are you using your head, OP? Try different approaches. Different equipment. Look around in the environment.
You can enter the room completely naked (no augs or equipment) and still beat the boss, especially on easy.

vallux
19th Mar 2013, 12:54
For the love of all the things that are beardlike. If your name is WarrenSpec you should realize that the game is not going to play itself for you. What you have described with the first boss would have you standing in the middle of the room ignoring the grenade indicators and shooting at a wall. There is no way.

3rdmillhouse
19th Mar 2013, 21:20

I bought a game called "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" because I loved the first Deus Ex game. However, the game that was installed on my computer seems to have more in common with Ninja Gaiden.

I chose the easiest level setting and went for the stealthy-hacking approach. I've been killed more times than I can count, and the first boss has just killed me for the tenth time. At no time have I been able to engage him for more than thirty seconds without being obliterated, half the time by an explosion which seemed to come from nowhere, and the other half because he can hit you from anywhere he pleases on the screen.

Is this some kind of bug, or did the designers of this game just ruin the name of one of the greatest pieces of software ever programmed?

Just curious. If the game's going to continue in this vein, I might as well just deinstall it and go back to playing games which encourage enjoyment.

Stock up on grenades, gas, explosive, concussion or emp. They will serve the purpose of keeping Barret occupied while your hurl barrels at him until he dies. Don't try to fight him head on.

mattig89ch
20th Mar 2013, 00:31
I had to use those blue satchel charges, tossed them out, waited behind a pillar for him to step on them then detonated them. used 2 of them, and an un-agumented combat rifle with 1 magazine.

Shralla
20th Mar 2013, 00:51
Using your head has nothing to do with boss battles. I killed Barrett by emptying multiple clips in his face as soon as he was done shooting at me.

Jerion
20th Mar 2013, 01:21
Using your head has nothing to do with boss battles. I killed Barrett by emptying multiple clips in his face as soon as he was done shooting at me.

Not true...entirely. The Namir fight and TML's boss fights required head-using to different degrees (especially, in the former's case, if you didn't use said head earlier in the game). Barrett is just a bullet sponge that needs a lot of bullets though. No real thinking involved there, just some care.

JeanLuc
20th Mar 2013, 15:18
I know from experience that the first two bosses can be killed just by standing in front of them and shooting them with the stun gun until they drop. Feels like cheating.

Unstoppable
20th Mar 2013, 15:38
Be wary this could be a troll post. If not then are you taking cover? Have you upgraded your character with augmentations?

HERESY
21st Mar 2013, 17:58
You have the wrong game if you don't have the Wii U version.

Pharnham
25th Mar 2013, 17:24

No problem. You sucked at Deus Ex: Human Revolution so badly you couldn't even complete it on training-wheels mode, so you posted a typical self-absorbed rant on the internet that blames the game itself. Happens all the time.

Assuming hardest difficulty:

1st Boss = Throw a gas canister in his face, stick your shotgun in his nose, pull trigger four times, move on.
2nd Boss = Throw EMP grenade into conductive water on floor, stick your shotgun up her nose, pull trigger four times, move on.
3rd Boss = Throw Concussion grenade as he toe-tosses his gun, take three steps forward and cover, point shotgun and pull trigger three times. When he hops the divider, just lean left, point shotgun and pull trigger three times, move on.
4th Boss = Shoot each turret 8 times with Plasma Rifle (the rifle and sufficient ammo are right on the floor before you take elevator down). Hack and shutdown life support. Shoot her in face until she dies with your shotgun.

Now this assumes that you've allocated your Praxis points intelligently. You know, so that you are immune to gas and emp. And that you've upgraded your shotgun, rather than putzing around with a rocket launcher or some such.

kiadaw
21st Apr 2013, 00:33
Alternately, use the Typhoon. A few bullet & a typhoon should do the job.

Pinky_Powers
21st Apr 2013, 05:46
the game that was installed on my computer seems to have more in common with Ninja Gaiden.

No. It definitely has more in common with Deus Ex than Ninja Gaiden.

But you're not wrong; the boss battles do suck. Luckily there are only three of them in an otherwise splendid game.

downsouthman1
22nd Apr 2013, 14:08
No problem. You sucked at Deus Ex: Human Revolution so badly you couldn't even complete it on training-wheels mode, so you posted a typical self-absorbed rant on the internet that blames the game itself. Happens all the time.

Assuming hardest difficulty:

1st Boss = Throw a gas canister in his face, stick your shotgun in his nose, pull trigger four times, move on.
2nd Boss = Throw EMP grenade into conductive water on floor, stick your shotgun up her nose, pull trigger four times, move on.
3rd Boss = Throw Concussion grenade as he toe-tosses his gun, take three steps forward and cover, point shotgun and pull trigger three times. When he hops the divider, just lean left, point shotgun and pull trigger three times, move on.
4th Boss = Shoot each turret 8 times with Plasma Rifle (the rifle and sufficient ammo are right on the floor before you take elevator down). Hack and shutdown life support. Shoot her in face until she dies with your shotgun.

Now this assumes that you've allocated your Praxis points intelligently. You know, so that you are immune to gas and emp. And that you've upgraded your shotgun, rather than putzing around with a rocket launcher or some such.
For Boss #2(Yelena) on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty, I walked right up to her & used a Typhoon (maxed), then shot her in the face a couple times with shotgun with Burst rounds enabled, did another Typhoon, then a couple more rounds with shotgun. Then she died.

bat_brain
11th May 2013, 22:28
I would agree that this is not even remotely close to a ninja gaiden game.

you're free to try whatever you like. some approaches are better than others.

it mentions right in the tutorial that guards should be avoided at all costs, even solitary ones.