PDA

View Full Version : Goes black when cutscenes switch

Befuddled
9th Mar 2013, 04:40
Radeon HD 6850
Intel 5 quad-core 3.0 GHz/8 GB memory

I'm lost. When Lara falls into the water from the ship and gets to point where the scene would shift to beach, the game goes black and dies. On the beach she's fine until punched - game goes black. If I skip through these points, the game seems to play until she watches the video recording. A couple of seconds into that the game crashes hard, Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, need hard reset of computer. Can't reload game at that point without locking it up. Tesselation and the exclusive full screen are off. Hair is normal. I really don't understand what's going on here, but can't get past the point where she plays the video, about 10 minutes into the game.:(

Beredan
9th Mar 2013, 15:58
Howdy Befuddled,

Id also like to chime in and say i also experience the same issue.
When ever i experience prolonged cut scenes, be it the initial camp fire and its follow up video camera scenes that my screen goes black and my system becomes unresponsive.

I am running the following
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-990FXA-D3
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (recently upgraded but was experiencing it before switch)
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Graphics Card: XFX AMD HD 6970 800M 2GB (13.1 Driver)
PSU: Thermaltake 875 Watt

Game current Visual settings are
Resolution: 1920x1080
V-sync: Double Buffer
Full screen: Enabled
Exclusive Full screen: Enabled
Texture Quality: Normal (post processing on , High Precision off)
Texture filter Anisotropic 4x (tessellation off)
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA
Shadows: Normal
Shadow Resolution: Normal
Level of Detail: Normal
Hair Quality: TressFX (originally was set to normal and still experienced crashes.)
Reflections: Normal
Depth of Field Normal
SSAO: Normal.

Have just accidentally discovered that AMD overdrive was enabled for Graphics Overdrive which i have now turned off and hope may resolve my issue. Will keep an eye on this post to see how you go. :)

Registered2reply
10th Mar 2013, 20:10
Turning Anti-Aliasing Off or FXAA should resolve the black scene problem.

Turn Tessellation off

V-Sync at Triple Buffer will improve stability [It is even easier than Double Buffer on the graphic card]

Hair Quality should be at Normal, turning it on, will bleed your graphic power.

I have all my options at max settings available, unless those i mentioned first. It resolved all my problems.

I have a AMD graphic card, for the record.

Beredan
16th Mar 2013, 14:21
After going through Idea after idea i decided to remove the display port cable to mini display port cables on my card and trade them for DVI Cables... I was able to play from journal entry 7 to the end taking a day break between mid way. With this i did not experience a crush during, while exiting or just after leaving the game. I'm unsure why these have caused my issue but i am glad i have been able to play the game successfully now.
Thanks

Befuddled
22nd Mar 2013, 01:09
Finally got a chance to try your recommendations. The problem is worse than before. Now I click on "new game," pick the save game slot, pick "Normal" difficulty, and bang - the game crashes. I'd like to uninstall and reinstall it but I can't get STEAM to tell me how I can do that without messing up what it has stored as the games I have. Am at the point of total disgust now. This is the first time this has happened where I haven't been able to get a solution to the problem.

SE_LaTanya
22nd Mar 2013, 18:37
If you delete the game from Steam it will not delete your saved games.