PDA

View Full Version : Unplayable game due to QTEs not appearing

alicedaisy
8th Mar 2013, 23:34
Playing on PS3:

When I get screen prompts I seem to be missing parts of it.

First level when Lara's foot gets grabbed and you have to shake the man off all I was prompted to do was use the left analog toggle (push left to right fast.) I tried this for over an hour and after researching someone told me to try using triangle in the sequence. It worked!

Two minutes afterwards another QTE sequence with the same man (death by bolder) Again it tells me to use the left analog stick left to right fast but that is all so Lara always dies.

I have watched videos of people playing on PC and there is another button to press in the sequence.

What button should I press... how can I fix this? It is so disapointing and frustrating. I have spent hours trying to play the first ten minutes of the game. This can't be right. I can't find anyone else mention this on the net!?

Thank you in advance

Ali x:mad2:

Driber
8th Mar 2013, 23:41
I played on PS3 as well and had absolutely no issues completing any of the QTEs you mention. I followed the on-screen QTE button instructions and I got through them without a hitch.

Might you be able to post a video for us?

alicedaisy
8th Mar 2013, 23:45
I can give it a try... bear with me! x

Zerafut
9th Mar 2013, 00:11
I've had the same problem but later in the game, the QTEs are HERENDOUS. To the point where it's unplayable, you die, you die you die until you lean the QTE by heart. Even sometimes when you do, you just can't get it done, the QTE with the wolf in the cave, dude prepare to suffer you mother, I had tremendous difficulties to go through it in normal mode, I can't imagine what this would be when you are playing the maximum difficulty.

I hate QTEs, especially when they are badly made, it breaks the rythm of the game, all the more if you die like 20 times when you try them.

To answer your question, there's another button to mash after shaking the analog, it's the one you use to kick people off you in QTEs, it's the one you used to push the big stell thingy in which you put the ignited barrels in the water cave (sorry I'm french)

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 00:15
heh, I played the entire game on the highest difficulty level (and completely without using SI; I wanted to "go hardcore" :cool:) and I can confirm that the wolf den was a piece of cake compared to some of the other QTEs later on in the game ;)

Zerafut
9th Mar 2013, 00:20
well good for you, but I suck at these kind of games so when I play it on normal difficulty I expect normal difficulty. I swear, I even broke one of my keys of my keyboard because I had to mash like a crazy dude just to get the first part of the QTE done. And moreover, are they serious with their QTEs? I'm right handed, I use my mouse with my right hand, do they really expect me to go full speed at QTEs with my left hand? I nearly had a nervous breakdown ranting about the ****ty QTEs after dying 20 times against the wolf, I swear to god I'm afraid that my computer will fly over the room if they get harder and ****tier...

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 00:35
I'd love to discuss the pros and cons of QTEs, but I'm concerned it will clutter this bug report thread and take the focus away from the OPs problem. Let's continue this side discussion in the official QTE thread in the general TR9 section :)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=126278

Zerafut
9th Mar 2013, 00:41
Ya sorry I got a little carried away.

I think you can go in the options and remove the text and subtitles to be able to see what button appears on the QTE. Also, there's icons for each of them, when you have the exclamation mark or the skull icon you have to push the "f" button at the exact same moment when the circle reaches the icon and when the hand icon appears, you have to do the exact same thing but with the "e" key. And when they ask to mash the directional arrows, I think it's self explanatory.
Hope this helps.

PS: I don't like QTEs

alicedaisy
9th Mar 2013, 00:45
Right here is a video link.. (all going well)

EYTBjb5efHU

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 00:55
Thanks for the video; that illustrates your problem quite well :thumb:

Hmm, that certainly is odd. I don't remember having any issues at that particular QTE and I'm playing on PS3 as well.

Can you tell us which edition / territory version of the game you are using?

alicedaisy
9th Mar 2013, 00:56
I am playing on PS3 in the UK.. so I am guessing Europe?

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 01:01
I'm playing a UK copy as well, so that makes it even more hard to pin point the problem :(

Hmmm, probably silly question, but are you playing with your controller through wireless bluetooth or connected straight to the console via a USB cable?

alicedaisy
9th Mar 2013, 01:03
I have tried both.. and I have tried two different controllers. Maybe it's just the copy... but can't really explain that one to get an exchange!

Edit: I am going to bed now but I really do apreciate your help. I will check back tomorrow after work! Thank you

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 01:17
I'm afraid I ran out of suggestions of what to try :(

Hmm....I've never done this before, but if you're able to send me your save file, I can try it on my copy and see if I'm able to get past it on your save file. Maybe that can get us closer to finding out what the problem could be.

You can PM me your email address and then I'll let you know where to send it to.

Meanwhile, please also create a support ticket on the official CS page. A link is in the sticky FAQ thread.

littlecats
9th Mar 2013, 14:06
Do you have the subtitles on?

I do and the last symbol or command doesn't show up for me in the QTEs. I'm playing on a computer. In searching other forums for this problem I've read posts that say the subtitles will block the symbols or commands from showing up.

I need the subtitles to know what the storyline is, since I can't hear. So I had to watch a video of the walkthrough to see the last symbol needed to fight off the wolves for when they grab Lara.

Relight-TRHQ
9th Mar 2013, 18:51
I think I know what the problem is...

I just experienced this same "problem" on PC in the wolf den with the QTE after getting Roth's pack.

If you don't succeed in the "stick wiggle" portion of the QTE, the next icon won't show up.

I played several times and the icon never showed up, and I wondered what was wrong. Then I kept adjusting the way that I did the "stick wiggle", and eventually I succeeded, and then it showed me the next button to press.

I tested it multiple times after that, failing the stick wiggle or succeeding with the stick wiggle, and it's consistent without problems. The next icons will not show up if you fail the stick wiggle.

Elliot Kane
9th Mar 2013, 19:14
Alice,

Odd question, but are you using a TV with an unusual size ratio?

I've noticed sometimes on PC games chop bits off the bottom if they think your screen should be longer than it actually is.

I have no idea how that might translate to PS3, but still. If you can change the screen size settings on TR for PS3, I suggest trying that.

Relight-TRHQ
9th Mar 2013, 19:30
I have no idea how that might translate to PS3, but still. If you can change the screen size settings on TR for PS3, I suggest trying that.
Not a bad idea, but probably not the issue... when the QTE thing appears for you to push the button, there's big ass circles :p that appear and converge on the center point, they fill like 1/2 the screen :p It's not like a small thing that appears in a corner or edge of the screen that might get cut off :)

Elliot Kane
9th Mar 2013, 19:55
Thanks, Relight :) Most games, they just aren't that big.

Only idea I got, sorry Alice...

Hobbes0911
9th Mar 2013, 20:57
Please help.

PS3 version playing on easy.

Stuck at base exterior.

Bridge QTE scene shows the left joy stick toggle but no matter how fast I move it I can not get the second button prompt to appear. This I get thrown off the bridge every time.

Some please help. This is ruining my experience.

Driber
9th Mar 2013, 23:18
Can everyone who is still stuck with this please try to wiggle the stick SLOWER and see if that solves it?

Instead of wiggling it like crazy, as demonstrated in the video in this thread, try to pace it at about 4 times per second.

This has reported as working for some people :)

Hobbes0911
9th Mar 2013, 23:42
Can everyone who is still stuck with this please try to wiggle the stick SLOWER and see if that solves it?

Instead of wiggling it like crazy, as demonstrated in the video in this thread, try to pace it at about 4 times per second.

This has reported as working for some people :)

Ill try again but I've done numerous speeds. Mashed every button at once. I'm not a new gamer by any means....it's just clearly a game issue. I Can't even get the second icon to appear....I just get thrown of the cliff over and over and over. Going on 12 hours of this issue. Tried a different controller, tried with controller plugged in....Very frustrating.

Relight-TRHQ
10th Mar 2013, 01:22
I've noticed that the speed of the on-screen right and left arrows flashing back and forth will vary from QTE to QTE. So my suggestion is to try and match your speed to the speed shown on the screen.

Metalrocks
10th Mar 2013, 02:44
I've noticed that the speed of the on-screen right and left arrows flashing back and forth will vary from QTE to QTE. So my suggestion is to try and match your speed to the speed shown on the screen.

never thought of it in this way.
at least on the pc when i see the arrow buttons, i just press A and D pretty quickly and it always worked. i never really looked at the speed it showed. but i guess wiggling the stick is faster then just pressing the buttons with 2 fingers.

Xcom
10th Mar 2013, 12:42

Really puzzling this is. I've also played the game on PS3 and didn't have this problem. I was wiggling the stick quite slowly (i.e without much effort and using left thumb). Not sure what makes the game not register qtes on some PS3s. Very odd.

Hobbes0911
10th Mar 2013, 14:12
http://yfrog.us/6hrcaapjxhdpfwzrhijvfhnfz

Here is video of my trouble. You can hear me toggle left joy stick but nothing happens. :mad2:

Hobbes0911
11th Mar 2013, 02:27
Still doesn't work....still unplayable. Patch this game please.

Raphamon
11th Mar 2013, 02:38
It's not a bug. It's a design flaw. The QTE's in this game require you to have the reflexes of Superman. It's very frustrating. Get grabbed by a wolf and you may as well hit the reset button on your console/PC right there.

jasin39
11th Mar 2013, 03:27
I hate the QTE on ps3. It is atrocious. I press the buttons as soon as they appear and get nothing but death scenes. Sometimes you have to repeatedly tap the button as it appears. Sometimes just mashing it as hard as you can works.

But really the only way to get through them is to learn what button to press and press it before they even ask you to. SO if a qte has 3 segments , I die 3 times learning each segments button. Then on fourth try , I enter buttons before they even appear.

This is really taking away from my game experience. I would love this game if PS3 had a patch that would allow game to recognise response to button presses. I will see if I can rent the xbox version to see if the issue is on both platforms or just PS3.

If the problem doesnt exist on pc version, I will buy it next so I can see it in all of its 1080p glory.

UTWarden
19th Jun 2013, 06:07
hmm PS3 player here, subtitles are on..but for the wolfs den I don't remember if I had them on, either way, the wolfs den the square qte never shows up, and yes I break away from the wolf, but without the square prompt you get mauled, just wait for the wolf to jump then press it, next one, dropping down the cable lines I was prompted to press O once then never again, I listened for the thump and slow down and prayed O was still right, it was.

MYSTREY1712
22nd Jun 2013, 23:38
Maybe when you move the left stick the game can't respond to it, i know it's strange but it might be true. This what happened to me in computer when Lara saw snow was falling she said "This ain't normal" And that man grabbed Lara i move the left stick but it didn't work so i have to use the keyboard!

Try using PlayStation Move if its compatible.