PDA

View Full Version : Is AOD hated more than it deserves?

FlyinSquirrel
8th Mar 2013, 21:42
I'm probably in the minority but... did anyone else besides me think that AoD got hated on MUCH more than it should have? i actually had fun with it. Along with all of them... even with my mentioned distaste for the Legend and Underworld story changes (in other forums)

Lara_Fan_84
8th Mar 2013, 23:45
I've enjoyed all the TR games for different reasons. The reasons are based on stuff in each game. Maybe it sounds strange but the Parisian Ghetto was my favorite level for AOD. The music and the isolated feeling was neat. I don't mean the part in the club though.

Elliot Kane
8th Mar 2013, 23:59
No. It was released (For PC at least) in an unplayable state, and the implementation of 'RPG Elements' was dreadful.

It's not slated anywhere near ENOUGH, IMO! Especially when you look at all the god things and realise just how good a game it could and SHOULD have been.

FlyinSquirrel
9th Mar 2013, 05:55
No. It was released (For PC at least) in an unplayable state, and the implementation of 'RPG Elements' was dreadful.

It's not slated anywhere near ENOUGH, IMO! Especially when you look at all the god things and realise just how good a game it could and SHOULD have been.

Yeah i agree with you that there were many flaws, but i just feel it got hit harder than it deserved. I always was scared when the glitch of going inside lara's head happened <3 so funny looking back

Elliot Kane
9th Mar 2013, 18:22
I think PC Gamer sum it all up rather brilliantly here (http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/09/saturday-crapshoot-tomb-raider-the-angel-of-darkness/).

Pretty much how I recall it, from before the disk went into the bin! :D

NamiraWilhelm
9th Mar 2013, 19:57
Despite being horrendously buggy! I actually really liked this game :P My favourite genre is rpg, and although the rpg elements weren't greatly implemented it was a welcome change, one I hoped they'd keep (and improve upon) in future games. Loved the storyline too, it's a great shame they never, ya know, finished it. And with this new reboot there's no chance of a remake... ho hum.

I've never looked into why it was such a state, must do that sometime.

Randy 54
10th Mar 2013, 01:33
I could not get through the first five minutes of that game because of the controls and how she responded to them. No matter how many attempts I made, the result was the same: aggravation and disappointment. So, back in the box it went, never to be seen or heard from again. :(

Sophiafan
12th Mar 2013, 11:54
Behind some horrid controls the game is actually preety decent. The latter twists in the story are brill if you can put up with controls long enough to get there.

Driber
12th Mar 2013, 12:18
Yup, if you take away the bad controls of snail Kurtis :p and the bugs (which weren't that bad on PS2) it's actually a very nice game. It's definitely under-appreciated.

TR9 actually reminds me of AoD in several ways. And look how well that game is received :cool:

Gemma_Darkmoon_
12th Mar 2013, 12:49
The game ended up a mess but you can certainly see elements of something incredible hidden in there. The atmosphere is intense, there is an artistic level of detail in the environments and the story is probably the best of the series. The soundtrack is better than anything since. If it had played right then would have been brilliant but it's a nighmare with controls, camera and upgrade system.

Elliot Kane
12th Mar 2013, 15:16
The game ended up a mess but you can certainly see elements of something incredible hidden in there. The atmosphere is intense, there is an artistic level of detail in the environments and the story is probably the best of the series. The soundtrack is better than anything since. If it had played right then would have been brilliant but it's a nighmare with controls, camera and upgrade system.

That's why I truly hate it, Gemma.

The ghost of what it could and should have been shows through so clearly.

Kurtis could have been an incredible addition to the series, with his throwing blade and psychic powers - neither of which worked outside of cut scenes! And that was just the least of his problems. If he wasn't an alpha build at best in the finished game, I'd be astonished.

The story is dark and compelling. Lara is hunted and haunted. In many ways, it's her greatest challenge, because for the first time ever the authorities are actively hunting her.

At the time of its release, it was also the most stunningly beautiful TR game ever - which considering TR's reputation for stunning vistas was a pretty incredible thing.

I loved the idea of Kurtis. I loved the rivalry/sexual tension between him & Lara. I loved that they were moving towards 'Lara Croft: The RPG' in so many ways. I wanted to love the game. But amidst the bugs, the glitches and the jaw-droppingly bad implementation of the game mechanics... I hated it then and I hate it now.

It was not merely a bad game. Those I can simply forget. It was a terrible game that could and should have been a GREAT game. That's unforgivable.

Driber
12th Mar 2013, 15:54
One answer to rule them all:

"We HATE it because we wanted to LOVE it"

:D

Elliot Kane
13th Mar 2013, 05:08
Add 'but it was crap' and I think you've nailed it totally, Driber.

Driber
13th Mar 2013, 12:28
http://driber.net/os/deadhorse.gif

Elliot Kane
13th Mar 2013, 14:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/ElliotKane/violent-smiley-006.gifhttp://driber.net/os/deadhorse.gif

:D

Driber
13th Mar 2013, 14:47
You're killing yourself beating a dead horse?

Wow, cool trick :p

Elliot Kane
13th Mar 2013, 14:52
It's you beating the dead donkey, Driber. The game sucked. get over it! :D

DrCroft
13th Mar 2013, 23:07
Yes I believed it did and Driber I am glad someone else saw the similarities between AoD and TR9! I actually wrote about it here: http://tangledwiresandcontrollerinscreen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/tomb-raider-2013-and-tomb-raider-angel.html .

Tyrannosaurus
4th Oct 2013, 02:31
Generally, yes, AOD receives more hate than it deserves, and to a lesser extent, so does Underworld. And Legend and Anniversary are praised far more than they deserve to be.

yamatai_veteran
18th Sep 2014, 13:38
It may have issues but the story was really great.

WinterSoldierLTE
2nd Nov 2014, 20:54
No. It wasn't a good game, it was a good idea. It could have been a good game if it hadn't been rushed to coincide with the release of that terrible 2nd TR movie.

Error96_
2nd Dec 2014, 22:49
There were aspects of it that were so good like the RPG elements, getting the London symphony orchestra involved, the much darker side to the game and Lara herself as well as the addition of Kurtis, some brilliant puzzles and a sense of depth. If it had been finished correctly then it would have been right up there as one of the best in the series. I know there were plans for a sequel and it would have been great to see that level of detail they put into AOD's story back for a second part.

I agree with Gemma and EK overall. It's such a shame that it will forever go down as a bad game when there was so much about it that was amazing.

Weemanply109
13th Dec 2014, 14:07
It's probably the only TR game I played for a bit and gave up on. I just found it horrendous to play, honestly. Maybe I'll give it a try again and see if things are different, but that camera glitch inside Lara's head is the worst thing ever and a complete demotivator! :lol:

AdeleDazeem
13th Dec 2014, 14:36
It's been a while since I played it. Back when Core made the Tomb Raider games I wasn't as serious with the series. I got into it when Legend came out. (Only years later I figured out a different company made it).

From what I can remember I didn't like the fact they just drop you of in a dark alley in a city instead of a jungle or similar. I wasn't too happy with that new mechanic where you have to get 'stronger'. Cause in every other Tomb Raider I could just hang on ledges for hours. I quit the moment you're in a burning house and some furniture is blocking you.

It's been almost 10 years since I touched it. Perhaps it is time to give it another try!

Scion_Light
12th Jan 2015, 12:59
I know AOD gets hated on loads but I actually quite liked it. The camera kept being annoying and the strength upgrades made no sense but it was worth preserving with for the story. I actually didn't miss the Tombs so much and breaking into the caves under the Louvre was a nice idea.

Photodinopathy
5th May 2015, 17:34
Sure it is a nightmare to more Lara around and even worse Kurtis but it's worth a shot for it's story and the London Symphony orchestra redeems it a lot for me.

Chaugmar
6th May 2015, 10:59
I think it is sad they not fix the controls and I think the dislike there deserved but the story is really good and that often get forgot about.