PDA

View Full Version : TR10 speculation thread / Deciphering Lara's Journal (WARNING - SPOILERS & KITTENS)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rixen
6th Mar 2013, 22:00
Edit by Driber - merged 3 threads on the same topic.

WARNING! MAJOR TR9 PLOT SPOILERS!

IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO READ THIS THREAD ONLY AFTER YOU COMPLETED THE GAME!

Adding screenshot:

jcqvnj_omgspoilerc9u58.jpg

High Res version @ 3840 x 2160 (http://imageshack.us/a/img10/1992/tombraider2013031212531.jpg)

Original OP by goofy:

FINALLY finished the game :D with 80%
What do you guys think is the next step?!
I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that she will have her dual pistols again! First.. when Roth dies she holds his two pistols ...
then in the end.. she takes the dual pistols with her!!!
and hey! Do you guys think there will be a sequel? I guess YES! haha because she already says "I'm not going home"
OMG I can't wait for the next Tomb Raider! Guess it's gonna be on PS4? hmmmm
So what do you guys think of the game?! Please share any hints of the upcoming game if you have lol!
I know it's tooooo early :P haha! but yeah I like talking about my fave game :)

Original OP by Mrlodgik:

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DID NOT FINISH THE GAME

I just finished the game last night and I wanted to start a new thread were people could post their findings on the clues that are showed at the end of the game in Lara journal and the secret message you get when you find all the GPS cache.

At the end of the game when Lara is on the cargo ship going home. She pounders about her father being right about the world filled with myth that are true and wanting to understand it all. After the sailor talk to her about not wanting to know what had happen on the island, the camera zoom on the journal she is holding and finish saying she is not going home.

that is were the fun begins: on the the top left of the of the journal the word "CROATOAN" is written, obviously referencing the lost colony of ROANOKE with an arrow pointing to a map of what seems like the actual Island (seem like the actual map of the place on wiki, at first glance). I can't actually make of where the arrow is actually pointing but if someone find out post.

Directly under the map the word "_RUNTER" is written but I can't make out the first letter because it is obscure by the red strip. I have search for the word and the best thing I can find isthat "runter" is an adverb for "DOWN" or "DOWN HERE" in German. What it means or if it is actually that is for you to decide and also why is there blood near it ?

At the bottom left of the right page, I think a name is written but I can't make it out. the best i can make out is the second part of it as the rest is hidden by the red strip. "GILMDIE" ("e" is supposed to be backward) is the name I think is written but I'm not sure and my internet search were inconclusive except I think it is in German.

On the top left of the left page a note is clipped but I absolutely can't make out what is written on it. If somebody understand what is written on the note please post your findings.

On the top right of the left page next to the note is the drawing of what seems to be a spear. If somebody know something about what it might represent post your finding please.

Just under the note the number "3" is written with it's equivalent in Roman Numeral "III" with a question mark. Also don't understand the meaning of this but maybe if somebody decipher the note it will shed some light on what it mean.

Directly under the numbers is a picture of some mountain drawing coming from the middle ages (really speculating here but kinda look like copyist monk drawing or early printer stuff) there is also something written at the bottom of the drawing but can't make it out. If somebody know post it.

directly at the bottom of the left page under the drawing is the phrase "sie ist der schisser" which google translate in German by "it is the sailor". again don't know what it means or to what sailor it is referencing.

If somebody can post a high resolution of Lara journal it would really help too thanks

the second thing I want to talk about is the the two secret message you get when you find all the GPS cache in the game

the first message is what seems to be a telegram from a German narrator to an operative on the island. The highlights of the first message is the narrator talking about a group called Trinity and their concern of the AXIS force in acquiring something called the star phenomenon. What is this star phenomenon as most certainly to do with queen Himiko and her power to control the weather but as the source of her power or any other event in the game is never mentioned to be linked to the star. I can speculate that either the use it as a codename for the supernatural or it is an actual phenomenon that they have experienced multiple times and is liked to space, either being cosmic magical power or alien.

The second message talks about an operative sent on this Island to investigate a threat by again a group called trinity to defend their interest. The word "interest" here I think shed some clue on who these guys are as (If my evil company slang don't fault me) means that trinity is a group of people (corporation maybe) extremely wealthy and that they had something to lose (monopole on evil magical power ;)) by letting Himiko wake up and letting other people possessing this power. we also know that they have been around at least since world war II being that the two messages are from two separate time period. I also can speculate that their either evil or extremely selfish as the agent reference stopping Mathias from awakening Himiko as protecting their interest and not something in the like of saving the world of an undead B**** and her evil army of f******* Demon.

Again please post on what you make on the secret message and Lara journal

Original OP by Rixen:

I started this thread on reddit but would love to get more input.

This could be absolutely nothing, but it seems too related to be random bits thrown on a page.

The page in question. (http://i.imgur.com/L61tBU6.jpg)

Now, it's possible that the devs said "Throw some history stuff on the pages and let's wrap it up already." but in doing a bit of digging I think it may be more than that.

I originally thought the top right was a misspelling of "Croatian" but I can't imagine Lara (or the devs) would make such a mistake. So I did a bit of Googling and, among other uses of the word Croatoan, found a lot about Roanoke Colony. For those unfamiliar with it Roanoke Colony, was an English settlement in what is now North Carolina in the late 1500s. It mysteriously disappeared and there was no sign of "foul play," in fact the colonists had clearly deliberately dismantled their colony and simply vanished, leaving only the word "Croatoan" carved into a post. Roanoke is now known as the Lost Colony.

Now, there are other uses of the word Croatoan, such as a Native American tribe or an island (more of a reef, really) which are both in the same area but the next bit is why I believe Roanoke was what was being referenced.

On the left page we have, among other things, a note paper with Cyrillic writing. Redditor milancheee let me know that the writing is actually English but just using the Cyrillic alphabet and translated it as:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

The lost village bit combined with the "Croatoan" is why I believe we are referring to Roanoke.

Below that we see a bit of paper with the number and roman numeral for 3 on it. This is what actually got me looking at this stuff in the first place. Redditor SomewhatSpecial asked about Trinity, a mysterious organization you learn very little about and questions are left unanswered. All we seem to know comes from two files:

Number 1 (http://i.imgur.com/qUsxUbR.jpg)

Number 2 (http://i.imgur.com/kci0CP8.jpg)
(Screenshots from SomewhatSpecial)

Lara finding this reference to Trinity on the island may have her seeking out more about them/it. I believe that the presence of the 3 and III with the question mark could mean what we're seeing on the pages are related to Lara's search for more information about Trinity.

The bottom of the original screenshot is German. Redditor darthbiki reports that it is "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key".

So here are the general elements of the page:
1: Top Left, note with Cyrillic. Translation:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

May refer to Roanoke. I do not know the significance of "eight have origin."

2: Behind the note you can see a drawing of what could be a spear, arrow, window, etc.

3: Note with 3 and III? - Could be referring to Trinity

4: Drawing of some cliffs with what appears to be a cave circled in red. The drawing is taken from a book of some sort, indicated by the Figure: Etching underneath.

5: German - She is the key.

6: Top right is the word Croatoan with an arrow pointing towards a spot on the map below. Croatoan may refer to Roanoke.

7: The map is faded and it is hard to compare it to any area maps I've looked up of the area around Roanoke or Hatteras Island, historically called Croatoan. There are red lines drawn, some of which appear to follow a border and/or river. Interestingly the arrow does not point to the same location that is marked with the x on teh map but to a separate spot.

8: Blood stained paper saying _runter. I can't make out the first letter clearly but, if in English, the logical word would be grunter. However the first letter doesn't appear to be one used in the English alphabet so this may be in an alphabet like Cyrillic that shares some characters with English.

9: The writing at the bottom appears to be in Cyrillic or an alphabet that shares characters with it, but due to the font my layman eyes can't determine a way to read it.

Furthermore I was searching for a map to compare to the faded map in her journal and found this map of the area surrounding Roanoke:
http://i.imgur.com/DHA2Fsi.gif

Note that Roanoke is located at Trinety Harbor. Could be something.

So there you have it, there's everything I know. Any other contributors care to share any knowledge they can put forward, or any fun fan theories? :D

(And yes, I will feel silly if this is all just random stuff that means nothing but, hey, I'm having fun trying to play detective, and I even learned the basics of reading Cyrillic so, yay.)

Cristiavano
6th Mar 2013, 23:09
Figure 1 talks about etching so :O

goofy
7th Mar 2013, 13:33
FINALLY finished the game :D with 80%
What do you guys think is the next step?!
I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that she will have her dual pistols again! First.. when Roth dies she holds his two pistols ...
then in the end.. she takes the dual pistols with her!!!
and hey! Do you guys think there will be a sequel? I guess YES! haha because she already says "I'm not going home"
OMG I can't wait for the next Tomb Raider! Guess it's gonna be on PS4? hmmmm
So what do you guys think of the game?! Please share any hints of the upcoming game if you have lol!
I know it's tooooo early :P haha! but yeah I like talking about my fave game :)

The Avenger27
7th Mar 2013, 13:49
I didn't understand why I needed to get all the GPS things, I understood for relics and documents but the GPS didn't give anything. I have 94% done just need to do the challenges an multiplayer. Maybe the next game they will get caught by pirates on the new ship an Lara has to save everyone again.

a_big_house
7th Mar 2013, 14:06
If you didn't see it clearly, when she says she isn't going home, the page of the book she is holding says 'Croatia'

goofy
7th Mar 2013, 14:22
I didn't understand why I needed to get all the GPS things, I understood for relics and documents but the GPS didn't give anything. I have 94% done just need to do the challenges an multiplayer. Maybe the next game they will get caught by pirates on the new ship an Lara has to save everyone again.

Haha! That would be awesome!!! Pirates and stuff lol!
and I was thinking the same, what were the gps for?! hmm

If you didn't see it clearly, when she says she isn't going home, the page of the book she is holding says 'Croatia'

Didn't notice at all! WOW!! :eek: Then the next tomb raider will be in Croatia?! :O yay

Cristiavano
7th Mar 2013, 15:08

I'm pretty sure it said "Croatoa" not "Croatia"

Eisenengel
7th Mar 2013, 15:16
Completed, 100%, and bloody heck I love this game. Enjoyed it thoroughly... and it's nice to see a forum where people aren't all whining. And yes, I'm rather keen on seeing the next installment.

For what it's worth, I've allways enjoyed Tomb Raider. But this is the one where Lara is alive, so to speak; I felt rather sorry for Lara at times. She really is put through the grinder.

The other big character of the game is the island itself, and what a marvelous character that is. Huge scope, with quite a few 'what the heck' moments - the ship in the gondola rig stood out in that regard. (I'd love to get more story on that bit...seems insane.).

Anyway... yeah, carry on, guys.

TranceTrouble
7th Mar 2013, 16:30
Completed, 100%, and bloody heck I love this game. Enjoyed it thoroughly... and it's nice to see a forum where people aren't all whining. And yes, I'm rather keen on seeing the next installment.

For what it's worth, I've allways enjoyed Tomb Raider. But this is the one where Lara is alive, so to speak; I felt rather sorry for Lara at times. She really is put through the grinder.

The other big character of the game is the island itself, and what a marvelous character that is. Huge scope, with quite a few 'what the heck' moments - the ship in the gondola rig stood out in that regard. (I'd love to get more story on that bit...seems insane.).

now you mention it they havent really gone in to much detail why the island has such changing weather patterns like snow, curious why they didnt explain it further then only summoned storms

Zelk
7th Mar 2013, 16:32
The snow is high in the mountains... it's cold up there... XD

larafan25
7th Mar 2013, 16:33
now you mention it they havent really gone in to much detail why the island has such changing weather patterns like snow, curious why they didnt explain it further then only summoned storms

I thought it was because of Himiko's soul trapped in that girl's body, so everything was just wack.

TranceTrouble
7th Mar 2013, 16:41
The snow is high in the mountains... it's cold up there... XD

I thought it was because of Himiko's soul trapped in that girl's body, so everything was just wack.

is it that high? because when she enter the bunker in the first place you don't see any if i remember correctly ;)

Kasumi
7th Mar 2013, 16:52
Regarding the GPS collectibles: Gathering all the GPS caches reveal 2 special communication logs that refer to some group called Trinity. Apparently Trinity knew what was going on on the island and sent people to try and stop Mathias. Possibly a link to a sequel or DLC?

namitokiwa
7th Mar 2013, 16:55
is it that high? because when she enter the bunker in the first place you don't see any if i remember correctly ;)

The weather is unatural because of Himiko's soul. That's the reason why they can't live and everything just happen isn't exactly what should be in natural. So there is nothing wrong about this :lol:

Kasumi
7th Mar 2013, 17:03
Lyle's right. I googled "Croatoa" and found this... I'm having a hard time believing this is just a coincidence... It would be a perfect target for Lara: http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/17/the-croatoan-mystery/

Particularly this bit is interesting:

The Croatans themselves believed that the island had a spirit and, if angered, this spirit had the power to change those who offended it into the form of animals, trees and rocks. So perhaps this is the explanation – that none of the people affected really disappeared but were simply transformed. If so it is no less bizarre or credible than any of the other theories that have been put forward over the years!

More info on the Lost Colony: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Colony

The Avenger27
7th Mar 2013, 17:36
Regarding the GPS collectibles: Gathering all the GPS caches reveal 2 special communication logs that refer to some group called Trinity. Apparently Trinity knew what was going on on the island and sent people to try and stop Mathias. Possibly a link to a sequel or DLC?

Those two little logs just didn't do it for me, there were to many of them just for the small little hint at something big, don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but it seemed like filler.

Mrlodgik
7th Mar 2013, 19:09

I just finished the game last night and I wanted to start a new thread were people could post their findings on the clues that are showed at the end of the game in Lara journal and the secret message you get when you find all the GPS cache.

At the end of the game when Lara is on the cargo ship going home. She pounders about her father being right about the world filled with myth that are true and wanting to understand it all. After the sailor talk to her about not wanting to know what had happen on the island, the camera zoom on the journal she is holding and finish saying she is not going home.

that is were the fun begins: on the the top left of the of the journal the word "CROATOAN" is written, obviously referencing the lost colony of ROANOKE with an arrow pointing to a map of what seems like the actual Island (seem like the actual map of the place on wiki, at first glance). I can't actually make of where the arrow is actually pointing but if someone find out post.

Directly under the map the word "_RUNTER" is written but I can't make out the first letter because it is obscure by the red strip. I have search for the word and the best thing I can find isthat "runter" is an adverb for "DOWN" or "DOWN HERE" in German. What it means or if it is actually that is for you to decide and also why is there blood near it ?

At the bottom left of the right page, I think a name is written but I can't make it out. the best i can make out is the second part of it as the rest is hidden by the red strip. "GILMDIE" ("e" is supposed to be backward) is the name I think is written but I'm not sure and my internet search were inconclusive except I think it is in German.

On the top left of the left page a note is clipped but I absolutely can't make out what is written on it. If somebody understand what is written on the note please post your findings.

On the top right of the left page next to the note is the drawing of what seems to be a spear. If somebody know something about what it might represent post your finding please.

Just under the note the number "3" is written with it's equivalent in Roman Numeral "III" with a question mark. Also don't understand the meaning of this but maybe if somebody decipher the note it will shed some light on what it mean.

Directly under the numbers is a picture of some mountain drawing coming from the middle ages (really speculating here but kinda look like copyist monk drawing or early printer stuff) there is also something written at the bottom of the drawing but can't make it out. If somebody know post it.

directly at the bottom of the left page under the drawing is the phrase "sie ist der schisser" which google translate in German by "it is the sailor". again don't know what it means or to what sailor it is referencing.

If somebody can post a high resolution of Lara journal it would really help too thanks

the second thing I want to talk about is the the two secret message you get when you find all the GPS cache in the game

the first message is what seems to be a telegram from a German narrator to an operative on the island. The highlights of the first message is the narrator talking about a group called Trinity and their concern of the AXIS force in acquiring something called the star phenomenon. What is this star phenomenon as most certainly to do with queen Himiko and her power to control the weather but as the source of her power or any other event in the game is never mentioned to be linked to the star. I can speculate that either the use it as a codename for the supernatural or it is an actual phenomenon that they have experienced multiple times and is liked to space, either being cosmic magical power or alien.

The second message talks about an operative sent on this Island to investigate a threat by again a group called trinity to defend their interest. The word "interest" here I think shed some clue on who these guys are as (If my evil company slang don't fault me) means that trinity is a group of people (corporation maybe) extremely wealthy and that they had something to lose (monopole on evil magical power ;)) by letting Himiko wake up and letting other people possessing this power. we also know that they have been around at least since world war II being that the two messages are from two separate time period. I also can speculate that their either evil or extremely selfish as the agent reference stopping Mathias from awakening Himiko as protecting their interest and not something in the like of saving the world of an undead B**** and her evil army of f******* Demon.

larafan25
7th Mar 2013, 19:22
AWESOME thread. I love this stuff.

Hm. Someone posted a nice high res shot of the journal but I can't remember where.

Trinity. Hmmm...

I always had a feeling Lara would be against some sort of organized "mob" in the next game. A group.

Driber
7th Mar 2013, 19:43
Wow, nice speculation going on there, Mr. Logic :D

Yeah, that ending scene was quite awesome :worship:

Can't wait for the the location of TR10 to be revealed ;)

Driber
7th Mar 2013, 20:03
Just found another thread on the same topic. I'm merging both threads and dubbing this the official TR10 speculation thread :)

goofy
7th Mar 2013, 20:31
Great replies you got there guys haha!
but wht do u guys think about the dual pistols ? :P are they going to get back?!

and hey, how long do you guys think it will take for some news to be leaked just like when underworld was released! Remember those concept art that were leaked?! and they got them off the internet and made some "propaganda" about them? Haha

a_big_house
7th Mar 2013, 21:37
Okay, sorry about not reading Croatoa properly :D

But yay, another island :hmm: :lol:

Jurre
7th Mar 2013, 21:48
If my wish was to become true, she would be having an adventure in a Conan Doyle style Lost World, which means a South American table mountain populated by dinosaurs.

Driber
7th Mar 2013, 22:14
AWESOME thread. I love this stuff.

Hm. Someone posted a nice high res shot of the journal but I can't remember where.

Here you go:

jcqvnj_omgspoilerc9u58.jpg

Added to OP as well :)

larafan25
7th Mar 2013, 22:39
^Oooh, awesome thanks! :D Love the name of this thread too.

If my wish was to become true, she would be having an adventure in a Conan Doyle style Lost World, which means a South American table mountain populated by dinosaurs.

I'd love that.

I think finding small undiscovered species of dinosaurs would be neat, and having an actual large dino could be awesome.

I want the whole.....long rope bridges across gorges, waterfalls and rivers. Really exotic plants, but more of a dark jungle not as happy and pretty as TRU Thailand.

Cristiavano
7th Mar 2013, 22:58

I somehow always thought Father Mathias was related to Natla...The way he said his words sounded very Natla-ish....:lmao:
Watch natla pop-up again LOL, natla's death from the trilogy resulted in natla being reincarnated to this alternate tomb raider universe...

TXTwilight
7th Mar 2013, 23:53
I wonder if the cyrillic note on the other Page have something to do with Croatoan.
It doesnt make any sense in Russian, but I believe the message is in English just encrypted in cyrillic letters.
It says:

Eight have Origin
Time essiantial
Lost deed Village

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and looking forward for the next installement of the series and the coast of North Carolina sounds interesting.

DarlinG
8th Mar 2013, 13:03
Oh snap!
I am curious about Croatoan my whole life, I would love Lara to go there and uncover the mystery of the Lost Colony :D
I read an article about croatoan, it said something like the colonists went to live with the natives, but when visitors came there was no one on the colony just a word carved on a tree "CROATOAN".
As for lost islands, there is another japanese lost island called Yona Guni, I would for Lara go there in a DLC or in a new game, but I kinda have a feeling Lara is sick of japanese islands :D

DarlinG
8th Mar 2013, 13:06
I wonder if the cyrillic note on the other Page have something to do with Croatoan.
It doesnt make any sense in Russian, but I believe the message is in English just encrypted in cyrillic letters.
It says:

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and looking forward for the next installement of the series and the coast of North Carolina sounds interesting.

omg, you are right about the cyrillic! I tried reading it backwards but it made no sence. кирилица rules :D
The last one is also in cyrillic, it is the word village again, but I can't make out the previous word, the one that has a last letter that looks like ж.

just*raidin*tomb
8th Mar 2013, 13:17
Lyle's right. I googled "Croatoa" and found this... I'm having a hard time believing this is just a coincidence... It would be a perfect target for Lara: http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/17/the-croatoan-mystery/

Particularly this bit is interesting:

More info on the Lost Colony: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Colony

North Carolina? What, I live here. That would a really weird location.

YAY SPECULATION THOUGH.

TXTwilight
8th Mar 2013, 16:10
omg, you are right about the cyrillic! I tried reading it backwards but it made no sence. кирилица rules :D
The last one is also in cyrillic, it is the word village again, but I can't make out the previous word, the one that has a last letter that looks like ж.
Three years of Russian in school finally payed off :D
The first letter appears to be an "M", it could mean "message" but it is hard to identify, since most of the word is covered up.

On the bottom of the left page, there is also a message in German.

Sie ist der Schlssel
The letter "Ü" is missing, which would result in the word "Schlüssel" and the message would be: "She is the key"
There is a thin red line going upwards from this sentence to a painted cave entrance, which could mean, that this entrance is the key to Croatoan and then the line goes all the way to right page with the map. It seems both pages are connected and related to each other.
A lot of information for a two second lasting scene.

larafan25
8th Mar 2013, 16:13
OMG I hope all of this is indicative of the sequel. So psyched.

shaun bragg
8th Mar 2013, 16:26

lara had worse luck than john mcclane.

DarlinG
8th Mar 2013, 16:27
Three years of Russian in school finally payed off :D
The first letter appears to be an "M", it could mean "message" but it is hard to identify, since most of the word is covered up.

On the bottom of the left page, there is also a message in German.

The letter "Ü" is missing, which would result in the word "Schlüssel" and the message would be: "She is the key"
There is a thin red line going upwards from this sentence to a painted cave entrance, which could mean, that this entrance is the key to Croatoan and then the line goes all the way to right page with the map. It seems both pages are connected and related to each other.
A lot of information for a two second lasting scene.

Dude, I'm writing on cyrillic my whole life and I didn't notice that! Kudos to you!

TXTwilight
8th Mar 2013, 16:57
Dude, I'm writing on cyrillic my whole life and I didn't notice that! Kudos to you!
Thanks man, but it still does not make much sense, with the little informaton we have :)
Whats up with "3", maybe it is also a letter? What is the purpose of the roman III, or is it a symbol for prison? Whats with "_RunTeR", since there is another letter infront of the word, we can assume that it is not the german word for "down" and why change between capital and smal letters?
Well, maybe I´am reading too much into this, but since I played the Arkham games, I don´t blieve in councidence in such cases.

Extra T
8th Mar 2013, 17:00
The game was awesome !

DarlinG
8th Mar 2013, 17:03
Thanks man, but it still does not make much sense, with the little informaton we have :)
Whats up with "3", maybe it is also a letter? What is the purpose of the roman III, or is it a symbol for prison? Whats with "_RunTeR", since there is another letter infront of the word, we can assume that it is not the german word for "down" and why change between capital and smal letters?
Well, maybe I´am reading too much into this, but since I played the Arkham games, I don´t blieve in councidence in such cases.

I know... Could be an anagram... It could be anything...

goofy
8th Mar 2013, 17:32
I know... Could be an anagram... It could be anything...

It could be an extra thing they put just for a propaganda :P lol!
I think they won, we are already discussing it here :P

JapaneseIsland
9th Mar 2013, 01:44
This is all so interesting.
Very exciting stuffs.
I wonder..
Croatoan..
Wait.
I wonder if that Journal previously belonged to Lara's father.
She talked about how he knew about the mysteries, and then she's browsing through that journal.
Hm.

Archosaurus
9th Mar 2013, 03:18
The journal definitely reads CROATOAN... As for _RUNTER, I have a thought. The text used for both CROATOAN and _RUNTER is quite possibly an actual font available somewhere that whoever textured the 3D journal model may have used. If somebody could track down that font and mess around with different letters in that font on a word document until someone finds a letter resembling what can be seen of the first letter in the picture of the journal, we might be able to determine the entire word.

(I tried finding any English words that ended with the suffix -runter, and nothing came up.)

Game_Enthusiast
9th Mar 2013, 16:36
The German word is "drunter". From a far you can see a small written "d" as first letter. The writing is written in large and small letters. The word means in English beneath something what covers it. It is German slang for "darunter" use for if you give the answer where something is with only one word. Other example: "Der Stift liegt darunter." "The pen lies below."

The other phrase is "Sie ist der ...". "She (or a feminine noun) is the ..." in english. But the word "Schisser" means not sailor. It is also a German slang word for yellow-belly. Sure is that the readable letters of the word are Sch...sse... . The article "der" implicates a masculine noun like "der Schlüssel" (engl. the key). But you cannot see a "ü". Possible letters written with such line are only "i","f","r", "l" and maybe "t". After "Sch" must follow a vocal if the double "ss" follows to pronounce the word. And possible endings are "r" or "l". But all combinations result in no common German word.

Game_Enthusiast
9th Mar 2013, 18:16
The "3" could have different connections. First these "Trinity group". Trinity: Vather, Son and Holy Spirit. It could also means, according to the mentioned star phenomenon, the Orion star constellation. There are also 3 stars in the center. Very unique. Also could it means the "Trimurti" of the Hinduism. In the game were mentioned the Axis powers what would explain the German phrases. According to that the meaning could refer to the "Triskele-symbol". All of it includes the number three.

Cristiavano
9th Mar 2013, 19:17
The "3" could have different connections. First these "Trinity group". Trinity: Vather, Son and Holy Spirit. It could also means, according to the mentioned star phenomenon, the Orion star constellation. There are also 3 stars in the center. Very unique. Also could it means the "Trimurti" of the Hinduism. In the game were mentioned the Axis powers what would explain the German phrases. According to that the meaning could refer to the "Triskele-symbol". All of it includes the number three.

NATLA IS COMING BACK :lol: :lol: "I'm very pleased to see you again, younger amnesia Lara"

XylophoneDealers
9th Mar 2013, 23:27
Umm just noticed under further inspection that there is something very small written under the image on the left page of the book. I cannot read it in this shot but I believe the first letter is 'F'.

Game_Enthusiast
9th Mar 2013, 23:34
Umm just noticed under further inspection that there is something very small written under the image on the left page of the book. I cannot read it in this shot but I believe the first letter is 'F'.

"Figure 1 Etching"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching

Seems to be out of a book.

pidipidi39
9th Mar 2013, 23:37
Amazing thread :D
I can't wait for TR10! :)
But even if I love Yamatai... I don't want TR10 to take a place on an island again XD

just*raidin*tomb
9th Mar 2013, 23:45
Lets just hope the next game isn't as dramatic. Lara is hardened now so we can lay off the deaths of friends and drama and little bit. ._.

j4k
9th Mar 2013, 23:59
Maybe the missing 'ü' is because of an encoding issue and nobody noticed it.

larafan25
10th Mar 2013, 00:19
Lets just hope the next game isn't as dramatic. Lara is hardened now so we can lay off the deaths of friends and drama and little bit. ._.

Yes this, please.

Infuse the drama into other parts of the story, such as the history and mythology.

Steven_1379
10th Mar 2013, 06:35
I am so mad cus i got confused in that scene and didnt get to see the book well
cus the sailor dude who aproached her was the same dude who was beaten to death by the crazy naked scavangers in a cage 2 hours ago inside the gas caves
i knew there was gonna be hints
NICE THREAD :)
Mathias used a lot of natla lines, im scared we migth also get a f amanda with a ''spirit'' ;)
dat will kill TR forever

DarlinG
10th Mar 2013, 06:52
NATLA IS COMING BACK :lol: :lol: "I'm very pleased to see you again, younger amnesia Lara"

Himiko! The seventh age is upon us!
:lol:

Rixen
10th Mar 2013, 10:17
I started a thread on reddit a day before this one. You guys have mistranslated a fair amount of stuff and missed a few things. I'll copy the thread here for those who want to contribute to my effort. I'm still looking for a concrete translation of the German in the bottom left (so far both translations have had problems), a map that would line up to the faded map, and of course a few more lines to be drawn between the items. Here's my post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19shjj/deciphering_laras_journal_may_contain_spoilers/

This could be absolutely nothing, but it seems too related to be random bits thrown on a page.

The page in question. http://i.imgur.com/L61tBU6.jpg

Now, it's possible that the devs said "Throw some history stuff on the pages and let's wrap it up already." but in doing a bit of digging I think it may be more than that.
I originally thought the top right was a misspelling of "Croatian" but I can't imagine Lara (or the devs) would make such a mistake. So I did a bit of Googling and, among other uses of the word Croatoan, found a lot about Roanoke Colony. For those unfamiliar with it Roanoke Colony, was an English settlement in what is now North Carolina in the late 1500s. It mysteriously disappeared and there was no sign of "foul play," in fact the colonists had clearly deliberately dismantled their colony and simply vanished, leaving only the word "Croatoan" carved into a post. Roanoke is now known as the Lost Colony.

Now, there are other uses of the word Croatoan, such as a Native American tribe or an island (more of a reef, really) which are both in the same area but the next bit is why I believe Roanoke was what was being referenced.

On the left page we have, among other things, a note paper with Cyrillic writing. /u/milancheee (http://www.reddit.com/u/milancheee) let me know that the writing is actually English but just using the Cyrillic alphabet and translated it as:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

The lost village bit combined with the "Croatoan" is why I believe we are referring to Roanoke.

Below that we see a bit of paper with the number and roman numeral for 3 on it. This is what actually got me looking at this stuff in the first place. /u/SomewhatSpecial (http://www.reddit.com/u/SomewhatSpecial) asked about Trinity, (http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19rosa/spoilers_gps_secrets/) a mysterious organization you learn very little about and questions are left unanswered. All we seem to know comes from two files:

Lara finding this reference to Trinity on the island may have her seeking out more about them/it. I believe that the presence of the 3 and III with the question mark could mean what we're seeing on the pages are related to Lara's search for more information about Trinity.

The bottom of the original screenshot is German for "it is the (Schissel?)" but I'm unable to figure out what Schissel would be. Edit: /u/darthbiki (http://www.reddit.com/u/darthbiki) reports that the German at the bottom of the page may be "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key"

Article 1: Top Left, note with Cyrillic. Translation:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

May refer to Roanoke. I do not know the significance of "eight have origin." (See Edit #7)

Article 2: Behind the note you can see a drawing of what could be a spear, arrow, window, etc.

Article 3: Note with 3 and III? - Could be referring to Trinity

Article 4: Drawing of some cliffs with what appears to be a cave circled in red. The drawing is taken from a book of some sort, indicated by the Figure: Etching underneath.

Article 5: German "She is the key" (See Edit 6 Below)

Article 6: Top right is the word Croatoan with an arrow pointing towards a spot on the map below. Croatoan may refer to Roanoke.

Article 7: The map is faded and it is hard to compare it to any area maps I've looked up of the area around Roanoke or Hatteras Island, historically called Croatoan. There are red lines drawn, some of which appear to follow a border and/or river. Interestingly the arrow does not point to the same location that is marked with the x on teh map but to a separate spot.

Article 8: Blood stained paper saying _runter. I can't make out the first letter clearly but, if in English, the logical word would be grunter. However the first letter doesn't appear to be one used in the English alphabet so this may be in an alphabet like Cyrillic that shares some characters with English.
Edit: /u/Come_mai (http://www.reddit.com/u/Come_mai) believes this may be drunter, a variant of darunter which is German for "beneath" While the lower case d would seem out of place the word also makes use of a lower case e so clearly letter capitalization isn't perfect and Come_mai may be on to something.

Article 9: The writing at the bottom appears to be in Cyrillic or an alphabet that shares characters with it, but due to the font my layman eyes can't determine a way to read it. (See Edit #5 below)

So there you have it, there's everything I know. Anything other redditors can input, or any fun fan theories? :D

(And yes, I will feel silly if this is all just random stuff that means nothing but, hey, I'm having fun trying to play detective, and I even learned the basics of reading Cyrillic so, yay.)

Edit #1
I was searching for a map to compare to the faded map in her journal and found this map of the area surrounding Roanoke:

Edit #2
/u/darthbiki reports that the German (item 5) is "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key"

Edit #3
/u/Come_mai has this to say regarding article 8.
it looks like "drunter", which is a common variant of "darunter" in german, which means beneath
-comment (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19vl63/can_any_redditors_decipher_these_bits_of_text/c8roqb0)

Edit #4
Been brainstorming and thinking back to previous villains which, naturally, the first thought goes to Natla. Being a reboot theres absolutely no need for them to ever bring Natla into the series, they can and probably will go an entirely different way, but it's worth mention that Natla, along with Tihocan and Qualopec, formed the triumvirate that ruled Atlantis. It could be (and probably is) purely coincidental but Triumvirate and Trinity are both groups of three powerful people/beings.

Edit #5
I've been taking a closer look at Article 9 and cross-referencing it with handwritten Cyrillic cursive and I believe I had mis-identified a few of the letters. I took a closer look and the second, larger word is once again English Cyrillic and is виллагэ, translated as village. Seems stupid that I missed it now since you can see it handwritten on the opposite page, it's just not in cursive so it's not as obvious.

Edit #5b
Article #9 is "lost deep* village"; even though letters are cut off by the bookmark strip you can clearly see it shares the same characters as the same "lost deep* village" Cyrillic on the previous page. *-See Edit #7

Edit #6
A day or so after I made this thread a similar one (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=134407) popped up on the Tomb Raider forums. While it's just a rehashing of some of the information here there is one alternate German translation that may be worth mentioning:

In regards to what I have previously referred to as Article 5, the German at the bottom left, they first translated it as "sie ist der schisser" meaning "it is the sailor." Character-wise it works better than She is the key, the german characters line up. However translation-wise it does not pan out. Sie is feminine, der is masculine so currently we have a choice of a phrase that makes sense but doesn't quite fit character-wise (she is the key) or a phrase that fits character-wise but goes against basic German grammar.

Edit #7
Because of my epic fail at translating Cyrillic in Edit #5 I decided to revisit some bits of Article 1 that didn't make sense, in particular the second to last word. I've seen it translated lost deel village and lost deed village. Deed's a word at least, but still makes no sense. That's because I was identifying the last character as Л when, in hindsight it could instead be a П. Handwriting varies, of course, but you'll notice the Л in the word village (the last word) bow out a fair amount more than the straighter-looking letter ending the previous word. If the letter is actually suppoed to be П which would turn the translation into "lost deep village" which makes slightly more sense.

DarlinG
10th Mar 2013, 12:45
I started a thread on reddit a day before this one. You guys have mistranslated a fair amount of stuff and missed a few things. I'll copy the thread here for those who want to contribute to my effort. I'm still looking for a concrete translation of the German in the bottom left (so far both translations have had problems), a map that would line up to the faded map, and of course a few more lines to be drawn between the items. Here's my post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19shjj/deciphering_laras_journal_may_contain_spoilers/

The page in question. http://i.imgur.com/L61tBU6.jpg

On the left page we have, among other things, a note paper with Cyrillic writing. /u/milancheee (http://www.reddit.com/u/milancheee) let me know that the writing is actually English but just using the Cyrillic alphabet and translated it as:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

Below that we see a bit of paper with the number and roman numeral for 3 on it. This is what actually got me looking at this stuff in the first place. /u/SomewhatSpecial (http://www.reddit.com/u/SomewhatSpecial) asked about Trinity, (http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19rosa/spoilers_gps_secrets/) a mysterious organization you learn very little about and questions are left unanswered. All we seem to know comes from two files:

The bottom of the original screenshot is German for "it is the (Schissel?)" but I'm unable to figure out what Schissel would be. Edit: /u/darthbiki (http://www.reddit.com/u/darthbiki) reports that the German at the bottom of the page may be "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key"

Article 1: Top Left, note with Cyrillic. Translation:

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deel village

May refer to Roanoke. I do not know the significance of "eight have origin." (See Edit #7)

Article 2: Behind the note you can see a drawing of what could be a spear, arrow, window, etc.

Article 3: Note with 3 and III? - Could be referring to Trinity

Article 4: Drawing of some cliffs with what appears to be a cave circled in red. The drawing is taken from a book of some sort, indicated by the Figure: Etching underneath.

Article 5: German "She is the key" (See Edit 6 Below)

Article 6: Top right is the word Croatoan with an arrow pointing towards a spot on the map below. Croatoan may refer to Roanoke.

Article 7: The map is faded and it is hard to compare it to any area maps I've looked up of the area around Roanoke or Hatteras Island, historically called Croatoan. There are red lines drawn, some of which appear to follow a border and/or river. Interestingly the arrow does not point to the same location that is marked with the x on teh map but to a separate spot.

Article 8: Blood stained paper saying _runter. I can't make out the first letter clearly but, if in English, the logical word would be grunter. However the first letter doesn't appear to be one used in the English alphabet so this may be in an alphabet like Cyrillic that shares some characters with English.
Edit: /u/Come_mai (http://www.reddit.com/u/Come_mai) believes this may be drunter, a variant of darunter which is German for "beneath" While the lower case d would seem out of place the word also makes use of a lower case e so clearly letter capitalization isn't perfect and Come_mai may be on to something.

Article 9: The writing at the bottom appears to be in Cyrillic or an alphabet that shares characters with it, but due to the font my layman eyes can't determine a way to read it. (See Edit #5 below)

So there you have it, there's everything I know. Anything other redditors can input, or any fun fan theories? :D

Edit #1
I was searching for a map to compare to the faded map in her journal and found this map of the area surrounding Roanoke:

Edit #2
/u/darthbiki reports that the German (item 5) is "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key"

Edit #3
/u/Come_mai has this to say regarding article 8.
it looks like "drunter", which is a common variant of "darunter" in german, which means beneath
-comment (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/19vl63/can_any_redditors_decipher_these_bits_of_text/c8roqb0)

Edit #4
Been brainstorming and thinking back to previous villains which, naturally, the first thought goes to Natla. Being a reboot theres absolutely no need for them to ever bring Natla into the series, they can and probably will go an entirely different way, but it's worth mention that Natla, along with Tihocan and Qualopec, formed the triumvirate that ruled Atlantis. It could be (and probably is) purely coincidental but Triumvirate and Trinity are both groups of three powerful people/beings.

Edit #5
I've been taking a closer look at Article 9 and cross-referencing it with handwritten Cyrillic cursive and I believe I had mis-identified a few of the letters. I took a closer look and the second, larger word is once again English Cyrillic and is виллагэ, translated as village. Seems stupid that I missed it now since you can see it handwritten on the opposite page, it's just not in cursive so it's not as obvious.

Edit #5b
Article #9 is "lost deep* village"; even though letters are cut off by the bookmark strip you can clearly see it shares the same characters as the same "lost deep* village" Cyrillic on the previous page. *-See Edit #7

Edit #6
A day or so after I made this thread a similar one (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=134407) popped up on the Tomb Raider forums. While it's just a rehashing of some of the information here there is one alternate German translation that may be worth mentioning:

In regards to what I have previously referred to as Article 5, the German at the bottom left, they first translated it as "sie ist der schisser" meaning "it is the sailor." Character-wise it works better than She is the key, the german characters line up. However translation-wise it does not pan out. Sie is feminine, der is masculine so currently we have a choice of a phrase that makes sense but doesn't quite fit character-wise (she is the key) or a phrase that fits character-wise but goes against basic German grammar.

Edit #7
Because of my epic fail at translating Cyrillic in Edit #5 I decided to revisit some bits of Article 1 that didn't make sense, in particular the second to last word. I've seen it translated lost deel village and lost deed village. Deed's a word at least, but still makes no sense. That's because I was identifying the last character as Л when, in hindsight it could instead be a П. Handwriting varies, of course, but you'll notice the Л in the word village (the last word) bow out a fair amount more than the straighter-looking letter ending the previous word. If the letter is actually suppoed to be П which would turn the translation into "lost deep village" which makes slightly more sense.
Еигхт хаве оригин
Eight have origin
Тиме ессентиал
Time essential
Лост дееп виллаге.
Lost deep village.

Rixen
10th Mar 2013, 12:58
Еигхт хаве оригин
Eight have origin
Тиме ессентиал
Time essential
Лост дееп виллаге.
Lost deep village.
Yep, covered in Edit #7, thanks for confirming the translation for me though. :D

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 13:21
In German they use the article "Sie" for one female person, for a feminime noun, for plural and as polite form. Last two are irrelevant in this case. As long as you do not know what exactly "the key" is, I would recommend to translate the sentence as "It is the key." in assumption we search for an object not a person as "key".

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 16:08
In German they use the article "Sie" for one female person, for a feminime noun, for plural and as polite form. Last two are irrelevant in this case. As long as you do not know what exactly "the key" is, I would recommend to translate the sentence as "It is the key." in assumption we search for an object not a person as "key".

What confuses me is that why is it written in German? Does the Lost Colony have anything to do with Germany? Or the German language? Or is this encrypted for a reason, like da Vinci did?

EDIT: Actually noticed the Cyrillic word "village" is also right to the left of the subtitles "I'm not going home." It does say seeing before it but it all appears to be in another font. Can anyone else clarify what it says?

Plus: Can anyone make any comparison? jzhdmh_roanoke_nasa_world_wind.jpg

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 17:08
What confuses me is that why is it written in German? Does the Lost Colony have anything to do with Germany? Or the German language? Or is this encrypted for a reason, like da Vinci did?

I do not know. Germany was an allied of Japan during World War II. Maybe this Trinity group is a German research team. Other fact is that Croatia was once ruled by Austria and Austria was part of the German Empire before World War II. But I am not sure what we can see on the map. Seems to be a solid landmass. You can see a border and the river marked in red. On the upper edge you can see lakes I believe. But it is not sure how deep the map zooms in into the landscape. You have to find the river and the border. The word "Croatoan" says where to search: In the area of Croatia or in the USA. Everything related to the Croatoan-indians and the Austrian/Croatian expedition. But I do not believe we can see the Roanoke Island. Too many buildings on it to hide a lost colony of the colonial age. They would have find it during the works on the houses there.

EDIT:
Under the picture of the cave is written "Figure 1 Eting". Seems to be out of an English written book. Maybe this teels you you must search in the USA.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 17:55
Trinity was the code name given to the atomic bombs (WW2) (Which was considered an affront to The Blessed Trinity -hence the Roman Numerals - Rome is the home of the Holy See) And the Manhattan project was the code name given to the making of the atomic bombs. And we all know that the bombs ended up being used on Japan. The Nazi's were practising the occult during WW2 mainly the SS they where also tied up with the Tulle society which still exists today, and they formed the Nazi party ! also the German SS (WW2) searched for many Holy relics one the did get was the sword of destiny! to give more power to the third Reich. concerning the word CROATOAN, this link is interesting-http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/17/the-croatoan-mystery/
in the tv series supernatural Sam suffers from this -Croatoan is an ailment specifically described as "blood-borne virus" that is demonic in origin, and causes a murderous rage in the people it infects. if the link above does not work try this --http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/17/the-croatoan-mystery/

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 18:03
The Nazi's were practising the occult during WW2 mainly the SS they where also tied up with the Tulle society which still exists today, and they formed the Nazi party ! also the German SS (WW2) searched for many Holy relics one the did get was the sword of destiny! to give more power to the third Reich.

Yeah. But this is Hollywood. As a German I can ensure you that. Maybe Hitler was interested in the ancient German/nordic religion and culture. Thor, Odin and so on. But I believe this ocult stuff around the SS was only formed to show Adolf Hitler as really mad man. But he was not so mad. I do not defend him. But we should stay by facts.

DarlinG
10th Mar 2013, 18:13

EDIT: Actually noticed the Cyrillic word "village" is also right to the left of the subtitles "I'm not going home." It does say seeing before it but it all appears to be in another font. Can anyone else clarify what it says?

Plus: Can anyone make any comparison? jzhdmh_roanoke_nasa_world_wind.jpg

It is the word village in cyrillic, but italic.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 18:21
Yeah. But this is Hollywood. As a German I can ensure you that. Maybe Hitler was interested in the ancient German/nordic religion and culture. Thor, Odin and so on. But I believe this ocult stuff around the SS was only formed to show Adolf Hitler as really mad man. But he was not so mad. I do not defend him. But we should stay by facts.
they are the facts

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 18:39
It is the word village in cyrillic, but italic.
that the place on the link I gave, wow thanks for getting it! so another Island???? hope we have an easier time and time to explore.:)

DarlinG
10th Mar 2013, 18:43
that the place on the link I gave, wow thanks for getting it! so another Island???? hope we have an easier time and time to explore.:)

Wait, I was talking about the word next to the I'm not going home subtitles.
Are we on the same page here?
(pun intended)
:D

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 18:45
they are the facts

Than the source, please. And please not the movie Hellboy.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 19:10
I think there is a D as the first letter of Runter making it Drunter!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/drunter_zps4486fdf3.jpg

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 19:15
Than the source, please. And please not the movie Hellboy.

Please I do not want to start a history lesson or an argument here ,it is not the place! if you need the source then read world history! What you are doing is not fair to other members here or to me! thank you

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 19:31
Please I do not want to start a history lesson or an argument here ,it is not the place! if you need the source then read world history! What you are doing is not fair to other members here or to me! thank you

Sorry. But what you have written sounds very like the story of Hellboy. Besides I am sick of hearing that we Germans were the evil demons of the world and we must serve ever as THE cliche opponent if the Russians are obsolete.

Besides, I am very familiar with world history. But also with the content of the phrase: "History is written be the victors."

Driber
10th Mar 2013, 19:37
Keep the discussion pleasant, folks. No need for anyone getting personal.

Carry on :)

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 19:38
Sorry. But what you have written sounds very like the story of Hellboy. Besides I am sick of hearing that we Germans were the evil demons of the world and we must serve ever as THE cliche opponent if the Russians are obsolete.
It's ok , I have a lot of German friends, and no you are not a demon, your human and felt hurt, I didn't even know you were German so no offence meant -I was just working the puzzle:) what do think of the photo I uploaded? Peace & hugs Mary :flowers:

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 19:57
It's ok , I have a lot of German friends, and no you are not a demon, your human and felt hurt, I didn't even know you were German so no offence meant -I was just working the puzzle:) what do think of the photo I uploaded? Peace & hugs Mary :flowers:

:) Very nice.

To the picture. I agree. I posted before that I read it as "drunter" as slang-form of "darunter". Is not often used.

What I am working on currently is the map part to figure out which place on earth is shown.

Acknowledge, admin Driber.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 19:59

To the picture. I agree. I posted before that I read it as "drunter" as slang-form of "darunter". Is not often used.

What I am working on currently is the map part to figure out which place on earth is shown.

if you find the map please post it. cheers:wave:

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 20:02

drunter is also a game like chess ? am I right?

_Ninja_
10th Mar 2013, 20:06
Indiana Jones had Germans. Uncharted had Germans. I hope TR isn't doing it. Let's not do the beaten SS secret research stuff or modern Nazi conspiracy or at least keep it to the minimum.

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:12
Indiana Jones had Germans. Uncharted had Germans. I hope TR isn't doing it. Let's not do the beaten SS secret research stuff or modern Nazi conspiracy or at least keep it to the minimum.

I hope so. Many people are sick of this sterotype enemies.

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:14
drunter is also a game like chess ? am I right?

I have never heard about this. Sorry.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 20:15
I agree, was thinking the same, it would be Lara Jones:scratch:

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 20:18
I have never heard about this. Sorry.
oh it's not like chess:o but another board game -Drunter und Drüber is a multiplayer board game invented by Klaus Teuber, first published in 1991 in Germany by Hans im Glück. A second edition was released in 1994 by Hans im Glück and featured art by Franz Vohwinkel. Drunter und Drüber translates to "over and under" although the phrase "topsy-turvy" may be more appropriate.Game of the Year 1991

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:21
oh it's not like chess:o but a board game -Drunter und Drüber is a multiplayer board game invented by Klaus Teuber, first published in 1991 in Germany by Hans im Glück. A second edition was released in 1994 by Hans im Glück and featured art by Franz Vohwinkel. Drunter und Drüber translates to "over and under" although the phrase "topsy-turvy" may be more appropriate.Game of the Year 1991

Okay. Your are right. Now, I know what you mean. :)

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:34
I trace the bold lines which seem to be borders, rivers and lakes. No guarantee. But maybe there is a similar landscape on earth.

jtuqvh_map.jpg

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 20:36
I trace the bold lines which seem to be borders, rivers and lakes. No guarantee. But maybe there is a similar landscape on earth.

jtuqvh_map.jpg

Or they could be two islands, which would make sense.

EDIT : the shape where the arrow points too has some similarity to Roanoke Island!

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:44
EDIT : the shape where the arrow points too has some similarity to Roanoke Island!

Maybe, but the long landmass, the natural barrier before the Atlantic, is missing. It could also be some kind of lake with small islands or a solid landmass with small lakes.

VodkaSushiRoll
10th Mar 2013, 20:44
Where did Lara even get the book? Was it from her father? Roth? Or did she pull it off the island, I remember she took a map or something at one point in the game.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 20:46

jtuqvh_map.jpg

great work ! France?????

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 20:48
Maybe, but the long landmass, the natural barrier before the Atlantic, is missing. It could also be some kind of lake with small islands or a solid landmass with small lakes.

Yes I did notice that. However, there is no promise that the island will be exactly the same as a map. The thing that throws me however... What is the little "x" at the bottom of the map pointing at?

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 20:52
Yes I did notice that. However, there is no promise that the island will be exactly the same as a map. The thing that throws me however... What is the little "x" at the bottom of the map pointing at?

Actually, there are two "x".

jbmaud_map2.jpg

The question is what is mean with Croatoan. The origin or the destination ...

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 20:56
Ahh I didn't see that. Well actually looking further into it there is "Roanoke Isla" and "Croatoan Island". One hypothesis is that the colony moved to Croatoan Island where the "Croatoan" tribe lived. Hmm. I really do hope that CD do use this island. This has a very rich history and a very interesting story.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 21:01
looking at the map I saw this hidden in bottom left corner!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/hiddenfacelara_zps998d0358.jpg

VodkaSushiRoll
10th Mar 2013, 21:04
Can someone explain why this would be an interesting story for the sequel? I mean it's a lost colony and a danger obviously drove them towards Croatoan island at least that's what I got from reading the wiki page. What are the theories of what happened to them though? The modern Croatoan island doesn't seem that large either unless I'm just a total noob at looking this stuff up.

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 21:05
Ahh I didn't see that. Well actually looking further into it there is "Roanoke Isla" and "Croatoan Island". One hypothesis is that the colony moved to Croatoan Island where the "Croatoan" tribe lived. Hmm. I really do hope that CD do use this island. This has a very rich history and a very interesting story.

Was the first time in this forum that I have heard about it. But I am not very familiar with this part of American history.

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 21:08
looking at the map I saw this hidden in bottom left corner!

What did you see, exactly?

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:09
Can someone explain why this would be an interesting story for the sequel? I mean it's a lost colony and a danger obviously drove them towards Croatoan island at least that's what I got from reading the wiki page. What are the theories of what happened to them though? The modern Croatoan island doesn't seem that large either unless I'm just a total noob at looking this stuff up.

Well, it's another mystery that no one has the answer to, even now! It's intriguing to me anyways how the whole colony disappeared. Now the most likely answer is that they moved away and integrated with other colonies.

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:10
Was the first time in this forum that I have heard about it. But I am not very familiar with this part of American history.

Neither am I, I have never ever heard of it prior to this journal! But it's very interesting.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 21:11
What did you see, exactly?

if you stare at that part of the map a girls face is there very like Lara! if I can I will try and outline it tomorrow.:)

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:12
if you stare at that part of the map a girls face is there very like Lara! if I can I will try and outline it tomorrow.:)

I can only see the lips and the jaw. But I see exactly what you mean.

laracrofty1
10th Mar 2013, 21:14
if you take the arrow point and the 2 X's we have another triangle!

TheManInTheAlley
10th Mar 2013, 21:15
Can someone explain why this would be an interesting story for the sequel? I mean it's a lost colony and a danger obviously drove them towards Croatoan island at least that's what I got from reading the wiki page. What are the theories of what happened to them though?

My personal favorite (completely fictional) theory as to why Croatoan was carved into the tree on Roanoke is in the Dean Koontz novel, Phantoms. I highly doubt that CD is going to go the same route he did, but they seem to at least be using the same baseline.

TR9 focused on the Dragon's Triangle, which holds a 'lost island' and is similar in effect to the Bermuda Triangle. All missing ships and explorers who are never found again. Crystal Dynamics used supernatural reasoning to explain this. Roanoke is a colony that vanished with Croatoan being the only clue.

Both Roanoke and the Bermuda Triangle (as well as a myriad of other lost civilizations and people) are also lumped together in Phantoms and explained away by a single supernatural force.

I think CD is trying to do the same general thing with this mysterious 'Trinity.' It could be an organization or a mythical villain or a God, I don't know. But I think this new focus for the series is going to center on lost civilizations, and Trinity is going to be a key element if not the absolute cause behind everything.

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:15
if you take the arrow point and the 2 X's we have another triangle!

OMG you are possibly on to something- the trinity! And the 3 and III on the other page.

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:23
Dragons Triangle, Bermuda Triangle, And a third one i dont remember.
Maybe this is a trilogy of Lara going to each of them?

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:23
Maybe just a continual series. Not a trilogy! :P

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:27
Maybe just a continual series. Not a trilogy! :P

I think a trilogy would have been better for this reboot.
Let's say this game is "Girl to Survivor"
Next game "Survivor to Expert"
Third game "Expert to a Tomb Raider"
Since this game did end with "A survivor is born"
So this is highly possible.

XylophoneDealers
10th Mar 2013, 21:28
I think a trilogy would have been better for this reboot.
Let's say this game is "Girl to Survivor"
Next game "Survivor to Expert"
Third game "Expert to a Tomb Raider"
Since this game did end with "A survivor is born"
So this is highly possible.

Yeah but I hope they don't say "ok trilogy done, pack up!"

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 21:28
Okay, that one with the face could be a coincidence but the thing with the triangle is interesting. Maybe the "x's" do not mark places but fix points according to the number 3.

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:30
Yeah but I hope they don't say "ok trilogy done, pack up!"

No, because after the third game Lara will be the Lara we knew.
Not the LAU Lara, But a more classic one.
And from that point the series will be completely rebooted and they can continue with more awesome adventures!

VodkaSushiRoll
10th Mar 2013, 21:34
My personal favorite (completely fictional) theory as to why Croatoan was carved into the tree on Roanoke is in the Dean Koontz novel, Phantoms. I highly doubt that CD is going to go the same route he did, but they seem to at least be using the same baseline.

TR9 focused on the Dragon's Triangle, which holds a 'lost island' and is similar in effect to the Bermuda Triangle. All missing ships and explorers who are never found again. Crystal Dynamics used supernatural reasoning to explain this. Roanoke is a colony that vanished with Croatoan being the only clue.

Both Roanoke and the Bermuda Triangle (as well as a myriad of other lost civilizations and people) are also lumped together in Phantoms and explained away by a single supernatural force.

I think CD is trying to do the same general thing with this mysterious 'Trinity.' It could be an organization or a mythical villain or a God, I don't know. But I think this new focus for the series is going to center on lost civilizations, and Trinity is going to be a key element if not the absolute cause behind everything.

So does this island take place within the Bermuda triangle? Also does anyone know how big it is modern day, I'm looking on Google and it just looks like a flat long stretch of land going left and right.

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:39
A list over some interesting "Triangles"

Bermuda Triangle
Devil's Sea (or Dragon's Triangle)
Vile Vortices

Im damn sure this will be a trilogy.

Game_Enthusiast
10th Mar 2013, 21:41

Today is everything a trilogy. :)

TheManInTheAlley
10th Mar 2013, 21:44

If they were going for straight, narrative symmetry I would agree with you. But I think Square Enix may have loftier goals if this continues to sell as well as it has. That's regardless of whether or not CD sticks around passed a third game.

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:47
I hope we get a horror game in the next one.

TheManInTheAlley
10th Mar 2013, 21:51
^...? Really? You mean, moreso than the game we just played? Don't get me wrong, I'm a horror-loving maniac (look at my ridiculous Username), but they'd really have to go out on a limb to completely change genres on the fans. What kind horror are we talking about here, like a Lovecraftian thing?

GUMI
10th Mar 2013, 21:54
^...? Really? You mean, moreso than the game we just played? Don't get me wrong, I'm a horror-loving maniac (look at my ridiculous Username), but they'd really have to go out on a limb to completely change genres on the fans. What kind horror are we talking about here, like a Lovecraftian thing?

The caveren part of this game horror-ish.
Or like the early concepts back in 2009.

oldboy2003
10th Mar 2013, 22:26
i feel like a tomb raider trying to uncover this!

larafan25
10th Mar 2013, 23:33
More horror is always welcome IMO.

I just want to be left alone to wander, explore and progress through heavy atmospheric spaces.

TheManInTheAlley
10th Mar 2013, 23:37
^If this is what we mean when speaking of horror, than count me in. Left alone, wandering and exploring and utilizing atmosphere to instill a sense of dread. Awesome.

I just don't want any Resident Evil in my Tomb Raider soup.

larafan25
10th Mar 2013, 23:49
I don't know what would separate Resident Evil from Tomb Raider in the horror arena.

As far as I know people see Resident Evil as an action game now anyways.

TheManInTheAlley
11th Mar 2013, 00:03
That's what I meant. Resident Evil, pretty much through Code Veronica, was of the utmost appeal to me growing up. I would bounce between RE and TR all the time, because they had such different flavors but were equally well made.

Now... well, now they're not so different. I just don't want Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Gears of War to come together and fuse into one gigantic third-person, cover-based shooting monstrosity-

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/10032008/8/4/e/b/84eb700ef1c7f0_full.jpg

-that winds up destroying the known civilized world with all of its generic, third-person cover-based shootery.

I'm exaggerating, but I'd appreciate very much if the next game took a step back to politely invading ancient depths and shooting endangered species in the face.

Cristiavano
11th Mar 2013, 00:06

Ew, Natla would be interested, she probably had some magical thing to transport her into this universe :P

But what about Aliens...Aliens could be the cause!

laracrofty1
11th Mar 2013, 14:39
Where did Lara even get the book? Was it from her father? Roth? Or did she pull it off the island, I remember she took a map or something at one point in the game.
It's Matthias' Notebook -Lara picks it up after getting her friends out of the helicopter ,during her escape!:wave:

Game_Enthusiast
11th Mar 2013, 14:47
It's Matthias' Notebook -Lara picks it up after getting her friends out of the helicopter ,during her escape!:wave:

Thank you. Was also my question. :)

DarlinG
11th Mar 2013, 15:06
I think it was her book, she was writing a diary the whole time, it could have been something she was studying a long time ago in college.

As for Trinity, I think they are going to be a secret illuminati like organization that wants power to control the world. And now that Lara is going to get major publicity, they will know she did something on Yamatai that destroyed the phenomenon, so maybe they will kidnap her for information. Maybe that's how the game will start, Lara being kidnapped and she will have to beat them to Croatoan to destroy their plans of world domination.
Just my opinion XD

Justin White
11th Mar 2013, 15:32
Okay, read the whole thread and here are some of my takes on what has been said here. I did this as I was reading through it, and I didn't think to take down the names of who made which comments, sorry.

" Just under the note the number "3" is written with it's equivalent in Roman Numeral "III" with a question mark. Also don't understand the meaning of this but maybe if somebody decipher the note it will shed some light on what it mean."

IS it the number 3, though? It's on a weird slant. I take this note to be 'does this symbol mean the number 3?'

Also, going on another take on 'mysterious triangles';
- There are 3 mysterious triangles
- Triangles have 3 sides and 3 points.
- Trinity means a group of 3 people or things.
- This will be the 3rd Tomb Raider trilogy.

"What is this star phenomenon as most certainly to do with queen Himiko and her power to control the weather but as the source of her power or any other event in the game is never mentioned to be linked to the star."

Other than her being called the 'Sun Queen' - we all know that stars are just distant suns. Nothing else about Himeko suggests why she would be called the Sun Queen (she controls storms - which usually block off the sun.)

I also notice that if you re-arrange the letters for Runter, you can get 'Return' (I noticed this by reading it backwards - 'ReTunuR')

"I wonder if that Journal previously belonged to Lara's father.
She talked about how he knew about the mysteries, and then she's browsing through that journal.
Hm."

This was obvious to me, and the first thing I assumed when watching the ending.

"In the game were mentioned the Axis powers what would explain the German phrases. According to that the meaning could refer to the "Triskele-symbol""

The celts (who used the triskele) weren't German, if that's what you are getting at. Being very familiar with Celtic mythology and Druidism, I don't see much connection between it and Roanoke Colony.
(That said, I think the Franks who later became the French came from what is now known as Germany. The Gauls lived in the land that is now known as France. This is the only connection I can see between the Triskele and Germany)

Actually, now that I'm looking into it - I see the triskele is a pre-celtic symbol - so while it's commonly used by the Celts it existed quite a bit before.

"I remember she took a map or something at one point in the game."
The map she took was of the island (she refers to it later when showing the other woman how to go inland by boat to get to the monastary)

GUMI
11th Mar 2013, 15:38
OMG!
What if we actually have found out the area for the next game in this thread?
:eek:

DarlinG
11th Mar 2013, 15:39
OMG!
What if we actually have found out the area for the next game in this thread?
:eek:

Than the developers are like
"Oh ****, they are on to us!"

GUMI
11th Mar 2013, 15:42
Than the developers are like
"Oh ****, they are on to us!"

I really hope we are wrong tbh.
Or Meagan have to say to the writer of the new game (hopefully Rhianna Pratchett)
To "Scrap" the story!!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Game_Enthusiast
11th Mar 2013, 16:30
@ Justin White

You are right. The Celts were not Germans. But they influenced the German culture at this time. The cultures from there to far in the north had very similar believings.
But of course it was only a theorie I had what lies behind the word "Trinity" and the German phrases.
Many Germans in the past and today a very interested in the origins of their culture.

Mrlodgik
11th Mar 2013, 18:59
Wow I really love when the developer put secrets that hint to their next game

I am really sorry for the poor translation of the German phrase at the bottom left page. As I said, I google translated it because I don't speak a word of German.

So let's check what we've learned so far. We've learned that the note on the left page is written in cyrillic which according to wikipedia is was invented by the first bulgarian empire in 10AD (kudos to you guys). let's asume that we're talking about the lost colony here, was there any knowledge of an eastern european voyage to north america (myth,lost, just wandered by accident kinda stuff)? what is the connection to croatoan? Also maybe it as something to do with Trinity because of connection to German (europe) and the note really look like a secret telegraph, with it's hod short phrases and no connection between each phrase

As for the phrase:
1."Eight have origin" Eight what? (figures, gods, maybe people like queen Himiko), the last part of the phrase is also interesting, maybe the croatoan disparition have something to do with the star phenomenon and or is the origin of it all.
2."lost deep village" Ok here come the fun part. Still with the Croatoan stuff, Croatoan was a colony in which they made a village for the settlers who would live there. If we assume the "village" in the phrase is the settlers village we can speculate that they disappeared underground (Maybe with those "eight"). I think this theory is further reinforced by the fact that many thing (the adverb "drunter" meaning underneath and the figure etching of a cavern circled in red) is pointing to something underground.
3."time is essential" really emphasise that their is a time limit to whatever is happening (maybe finding the entrance to cavern or something that is going to happen there?).

The number three and the Roman numeral, I really think you have something there with Trinity, maybe the author of the journal find a reference to the number 3 and some more dating back to antiquity during is research and they did this to emphasize the fact that they have been around for quite some time (see also two secret GPS message WW2 and Present time)

As for the phrase "she is the key" I have no Idea what it mean. I can speculate though that maybe "she" is the key to founding the entrance to the lost village cave or the Key to finding out what happened to the lost colony (also maybe why they went underground) and or the key to stop whatever is gonna happen when the time limit run out.

On a Final note since I am pretty sure that the picture on the top right of the left page (just beside the note) is a spear i'm going to try to find if it is based on a real object. And I know somebody probably posted it but did somebody translated what was written on the bottom right page of the journal?

A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne kinda stuff for the next game anyone ?

Jurre
11th Mar 2013, 19:13
A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne kinda stuff for the next game anyone ?

Awesome! My suggestion was to take Conan Doyle's Lost World for inspiration but Jules Verne will work great as well! How about Jules Verne's Journey to the moon? Or 20.000 miles under the sea? It would become a somewhat Bioshock-like game underwater.

JapaneseIsland
11th Mar 2013, 22:12
This is all very intriguing. Trinity? A triangle? 3 triangle areas?... Hm.. Croatoan..Roanoke..

Wh1t3Kn1te
11th Mar 2013, 22:27
they're going to throw in a tri-force easter egg right? lol

JapaneseIsland
12th Mar 2013, 00:20
i feel like a tomb raider trying to uncover this!
Same.

I think it was her book, she was writing a diary the whole time, it could have been something she was studying a long time ago in college.

As for Trinity, I think they are going to be a secret illuminati like organization that wants power to control the world. And now that Lara is going to get major publicity, they will know she did something on Yamatai that destroyed the phenomenon, so maybe they will kidnap her for information. Maybe that's how the game will start, Lara being kidnapped and she will have to beat them to Croatoan to destroy their plans of world domination.
Just my opinion XD

Great theories.

Grim13
12th Mar 2013, 05:14
Makes me wonder if the Solarii Soldier's reference to Mathias using the Radio Tower to contact the outside world means Mathias belonged to a faction? Probably not the Trinity, though.

I'm pretty sure the journal Lara has at the end is the one she picked up off of Mathias' research table. It would have included German, and many other languages in it, because of the number of nationalities who were wrecked on the island... who were researched by Mathias.

Mathias also speaks multiple languages. Referenced by the Solarii Diary entry saying that Mathias knew their names and spoke in their languages... Knowing their names being another possible hint that Mathias was working with/for someone (Perhaps not initially...). And speaking their language hints at more than just him having been a "teacher" (if you believe that)... it could also indicate that he heard them talking with the radio OR was told they were coming.

logan23
12th Mar 2013, 05:44
Today is everything a trilogy. :)

No, Trilogys are bad for games. Due to the structure and ever-changing nature they never end up working. Mass Effect was meant to be a trilogy but from a more book or movie reference it really isn't. Each of them had to deal with the problem of new players starting at their second or third game. This means they were limited - example in ME3 the opening scene was going to be Shepards trial but due to new players this would confuse them but this start would be perfect for players who played ME1/2.

Games should use the Series setup where themes are closed off in one game but new questions arise and these feed into the narrative for the next game.
This allows the writers to choose to tackle a number of themes and leave others for another game. Another benifit is, the developers and writers can constantly evolve the character and add new challenges as old ones are resolved. This will allow Tomb Raider to run as long as they wish but they must be aware that the key to keeping each installment fresh is not special effects or location but the internal conflicts and emotional challenges which the key character- Lara Croft faces.

No to trilogy
Yes to Series

Typed on iPhone

BR4DDERS1986
12th Mar 2013, 13:49
3840X2160 version.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8085/1111111111111111111a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/a/img10/1992/tombraider2013031212531.jpg)
(click image to enlarge)

CakeLuv
12th Mar 2013, 14:02
illuminati

Don't say that word DDDDD:

Shaikh
12th Mar 2013, 15:39
BTW, anyone knows who is this guy?

jnswqn_mysterious_guy.jpg

He seems to be found in the extras menu, as an Endurance crew! :scratch:

3840X2160 version.

(click image to enlarge)

WOW! Amazing details. :D

larafan25
12th Mar 2013, 16:36
He's also the Fisherman skin if I'm not mistaken.

Game_Enthusiast
12th Mar 2013, 17:43
No, Trilogys are bad for games. Due to the structure and ever-changing nature they never end up working. Mass Effect was meant to be a trilogy but from a more book or movie reference it really isn't. Each of them had to deal with the problem of new players starting at their second or third game. This means they were limited - example in ME3 the opening scene was going to be Shepards trial but due to new players this would confuse them but this start would be perfect for players who played ME1/2.

Games should use the Series setup where themes are closed off in one game but new questions arise and these feed into the narrative for the next game.
This allows the writers to choose to tackle a number of themes and leave others for another game. Another benifit is, the developers and writers can constantly evolve the character and add new challenges as old ones are resolved. This will allow Tomb Raider to run as long as they wish but they must be aware that the key to keeping each installment fresh is not special effects or location but the internal conflicts and emotional challenges which the key character- Lara Croft faces.

No to trilogy
Yes to Series

Typed on iPhone

Yes. I fully agree with you. I like a continued series more, too. What I mean was that today it is not seldom that they use or plan to use trilogies. Avatar e.g.. It seems to be some sort of trend.

XylophoneDealers
12th Mar 2013, 17:46
Hold on, if this is Matthias' book, then "Sie ist der Schlüssel" may mean that "Queen Himiko is the key". But it's just a theory! :)

DarlinG
12th Mar 2013, 18:31
Don't say that word DDDDD:

Why? :D

CakeLuv
12th Mar 2013, 18:35
Why? :D

Because I'm crazy about conspiracy Theories :C

JapaneseIsland
12th Mar 2013, 21:55
So am I. ^

XylophoneDealers
12th Mar 2013, 21:59
^^ hence the "I must understand" in your signature!!

JapaneseIsland
12th Mar 2013, 22:50
^^ hence the "I must understand" in your signature!!

The quote means a lot to me.

_Ninja_
12th Mar 2013, 22:59
Does that journal belong to Mathias?

JapaneseIsland
12th Mar 2013, 23:15
Does that journal belong to Mathias?

Indeed so.

Cristiavano
12th Mar 2013, 23:52
Matthias = the new Natla

Everything he says and does is just like her...minus the immortality part

Wh1t3Kn1te
13th Mar 2013, 00:07
i don't believe this book is mathias', you can actually see it in game sitting on Lara's bed when you go back to the endurance. i am pretty sure this is her fathers journal

also to add the trinity observation. there once was a test site in new mexico where the U.S. government tested atom bombs similar to the ones they dropped on japan in the 40's. the test team was called trinity. don't know if there is a connection or not though, but it would see they might have been after the mysterious power on yamatai to use it for a new weapon?

larafan25
13th Mar 2013, 00:52
I dislike it being her father's journal. He needs to GTFO. ._.

I'll make my own leads.

DarlinG
13th Mar 2013, 01:09
BTW, anyone knows who is this guy?

jnswqn_mysterious_guy.jpg

He seems to be found in the extras menu, as an Endurance crew! :scratch:

WOW! Amazing details. :D

This is the guy that drowned, and the guy that was shot!
I'm sorry Lara, but this guy is a real survivor!

TombRaider4EVERT
13th Mar 2013, 01:17
^ lol....

http://i47.tinypic.com/35jbb4p.png

JapaneseIsland
13th Mar 2013, 03:11
i don't believe this book is mathias', you can actually see it in game sitting on Lara's bed when you go back to the endurance. i am pretty sure this is her fathers journal

also to add the trinity observation. there once was a test site in new mexico where the U.S. government tested atom bombs similar to the ones they dropped on japan in the 40's. the test team was called trinity. don't know if there is a connection or not though, but it would see they might have been after the mysterious power on yamatai to use it for a new weapon?

It is.
There's even a cutscene where Lara picks it up off of a table in Mathias' chamber. The notebook that Lara has is on her desk in the Endurance wreck. Go check if you don't believe me, and watch the cutscenes properly. It's NOT her father's Journal, it's Mathias'.

larafan25
13th Mar 2013, 03:48
Oooh. I remember that. I was thinking...doesn't she look at a map at one point, with a river, and say "Imma go thare yo"?

I feel like that's the same map we see at the end. I dunno.

a_big_house
13th Mar 2013, 07:46
If you Google the name of the ship at the end; Margane, you get some funky info about a guy called Pierre (Easter Egg?), who was born in Montréal ;) Might be another reference to a sequel in one way or another

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 09:34
This is the guy that drowned, and the guy that was shot!
I'm sorry Lara, but this guy is a real survivor!
Huh? When? In the game or comics? :scratch:

DarlinG
13th Mar 2013, 09:45
Huh? When? In the game or comics? :scratch:

In the game, I guess in the first hour.

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 09:46
Damn! How the hell did I miss him! :scratch:

Soki58
13th Mar 2013, 12:36

No to trilogy
Yes to Series

Typed on iPhone

I have to disagree. problems Mass Effect had were problems easily avoided. BioWare chose not to, and opted to pandering to new audiences. Witcher is in my opinion an example of sequel can be done nicely within the trilogy.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said

laracrofty1
13th Mar 2013, 12:57
Firstly to Driber, congratulations -to you being mentioned in the game's end credits!:D:thumb:
There is a third triangle in the world, called "The Mystic Triangle", it features The Ancient and Mystical Order Rosæ Crucis, also called the Rosicrucian Order (AMORC). Well this order (cult) started way back in Egypt, but in the 1920's was started in France, then, moved to North America and now is thought that the triangle is somewhere in or near the Antarctic! see Map below!
As for that guy on the rescue ship at the end, I think he is a member of The Solari.
Also at the start of the game during all the crazy confusion the 1st crew member was killed , a guy in a boiler suit who called out Lara's name, who was or who is he?

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/MystictriangleintheAntarctic_zpsf69202b8.jpg
do some research on it yourselves I even ended up with an e book pdf on this order. my eyes are worn out LOL:)

laracrofty1
13th Mar 2013, 13:05
Hi, your Signature Image,http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/cutscene_zps0492005c.jpg that scene was cut from the game, was waiting on it and it never happened. Also the scene when Lara's meets Mad Mathias:nut: for the first time was changed, wonder why???
A big problem for me was not knowing what Lara found in those big chests in the Tombs - what DID she find? in other TR games we always knew! just saying;)

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 13:20
Also the scene when Lara's meets Mad Mathias:nut: for the first time was changed, wonder why???
To avoid the spoiler. It was explained in this video by Noah Hughes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYQqmljSB98
:)

laracrofty1
13th Mar 2013, 13:22
To avoid the spoiler. It was explained in this video by Noah Hughes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYQqmljSB98
:)
thanks will watch that now:thumb:

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 13:31
thanks will watch that now:thumb:
The pleasure was all mine. :D Its very short though. :)

DarlinG
13th Mar 2013, 14:03
As for that guy on the rescue ship at the end, I think he is a member of The Solari.

Nah, he's just a skin, I guess there are 2 possible variations or 3...
I think they are randomly generated in some of the scenes, in my playthrough that sailor guy took more beating than Lara :lol:

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 17:34
From Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19rosa/spoilers_gps_secrets/) forum:

"As for the actual content, that I recall and a few Google searches confirm there was no mention of anything Trinity/Star Phenomenon related in previous games. Remember it's a reboot so we probably won't see too many throwbacks to before.

I was taking screenshots throughout the game and this one's interesting.

We've got the 3 and III, seems that Lara's trying to figure it out as well. Because of its proximity to the 3 and III I'm thinking maybe the rest of the page stuff is related, so let's hit that up.

My first thought was the right page was a mispelling of Croatian but Lara would probably spell it right. Turns out Croatoan has some historical significance tied to the Roanoke colony, a sixteenth century settlement in what is now North Caronlina. The colony up and mysteriously vanished and it's one of history's unsolved mysteries. The only clue left behind was the word Croatoan carved into a post. (Wikipedia page about it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Colony#Return_to_the_Lost_Colony))

Now, the reason I think it's tied to this and not the Indian tribe or something is the Cyrillic. I don't read Cyrillic but I approximated as well as I could and put it into a virtual keyboard:

эигт х2вэ оригцн тимэ бссбнти2л

лостдээл вилл2гэ

then plugged that into google translate:

eigt h2ve origtsn time bssbnti2l (Edit: I think this word might be "essential" so "time essential")

lostdeel vill2ge

Clearly my ability to put Cyrillic into a translator is bad and hopefully another redditor can actually read Cyrillic. However, the Lost Village bit seems to point to the Roanoke Colony. I really hope someone better with Cyrillic can read it.

The bottom is German of course, "it is the (Schissel?)"

Then we've got other stuff I have yet to find significance for. The drawing behind the cyrillic could be a spear, arrow, or window. The drawing of the mountains under the 3 III paper doesnt' appear to be anything you'd associate with the New England area. The map with Croatoan pointing to it is so faded I can't make much out, I've looked up some maps of Roanoke as well as the nearby Hatteras Island (a reef historically called Croatoan Island) but the map is so faded I can't make and comparisons.

Then we've got _runter and then something below. It's not something my limited knowledge of Cyrillic can decipher but the э is supposedly only used in Russian and Belarusian alphabelts, so that's a start.

I'm not sure if this means anything, the developers could have said "Put some random history stuff on it." but it seems so deliberate and related, and it's got the 3 and III jammed right into the notes there. I hope it means something. I'm going to do some more research. :3

EDIT: /u/milancheee took a look at the Cyrillic for me and translates it thusly:

Eight have origin Time essential Lost deel village

EDIT 2: I was looking for a map to try to compare to the faded one and found this:

(http://www.lost-colony.com/fig1.jpg)

Note that "Roanoke Indian village" is located at Trinety Harbor. Interesting."

GUMI
13th Mar 2013, 18:02
Some awesome music while we try to solve where TR is next!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qEOtVjIg4

Driber
13th Mar 2013, 19:05
Firstly to Driber, congratulations -to you being mentioned in the game's end credits!:D:thumb:

Heh, it sure was very nice to see that. Made the already EPIC ending even more special for me :)

^ lol....

http://i47.tinypic.com/35jbb4p.png

AP! :D :thumb:

3840X2160 version.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/1992/tombraider2013031212531.jpg

Oeee, that's beautiful. Thanks for posting; I've added it to the OP :)

Lara_Fan_84
13th Mar 2013, 19:10
I hope the next game has less people and more ungodly creatures.

Shaikh
14th Mar 2013, 06:28
Ooh I guess he is in this shot:
jgrmbp_TombRaider_endurance_deckhand.jpg
The one on left who ran away. :)

meimeiriver
14th Mar 2013, 09:19

And I'm pretty sure it said 'Croatoan'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatoan_Island

Shaikh
14th Mar 2013, 09:31
So here's where that Endurance deckhand was first shown at the Round-up:
jcdslk_Endurance_deckhand_1.jpg

jlvdsv_Endurance_deckhand_2.jpg

Good to see he survives after getting a shot on his right hand. Might there be a DLC featuring his story? :p

And BTW thanks myself for clarifying that to myself. :D :p

BR4DDERS1986
14th Mar 2013, 10:03
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/2812/tombraider2013031323012.jpg

Doesn't he get killed in the Geothermal Caverns as well?

MagnaBass
14th Mar 2013, 10:20
From Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/19rosa/spoilers_gps_secrets/) forum:

That is interesting

Shaikh
14th Mar 2013, 13:01
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/2812/tombraider2013031323012.jpg

Doesn't he get killed in the Geothermal Caverns as well?
OMG! He is a great, great survivor, back from death not once, but twice!!! :eek:

KspyrusTR
14th Mar 2013, 14:36
Figure 1 talks about etching so :O

i've just seen that too

Tecstar70
14th Mar 2013, 14:39
I would suggest that for a key scene in the game and such a close up shot that this would not have been randomly put together.

KspyrusTR
14th Mar 2013, 14:53
That is interesting

yes it is but there is a mistake..at the bottom left of that journal it says sie ist der schisser not schissel which means'' it is the sailor'' (correct me if i'm wrong)

RoyCroft
14th Mar 2013, 15:38
Wow thats pretty impressively put together! I think you are on-to something, most likely some hints towards the next TR game in my honest opinion. But what exactly I'm not sure yet, I'll think about it for a while. And thanks for sharing :)

a_big_house
14th Mar 2013, 15:52
I just did some Google'n and it turns out that on Roanoke Island, there is a History center ;) I went onto its site and did a search of the word 'Trinity' and a load of records came up, I flicked through their military ones and there is a map of southern Japan... More to come
Actually no, that's really all of it...

DarlinG
14th Mar 2013, 16:01
People, people, it's
Lost deep village
The l and p in cyrillic are similar, but the l is little curved. I'll show you:
L=Л
P=П
The one in the journal is p.
I'm educating people! :P

BR4DDERS1986
14th Mar 2013, 16:24
yes it is but there is a mistake..at the bottom left of that journal it says sie ist der schisser not schissel which means'' it is the sailor'' (correct me if i'm wrong)

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/821/39203868.jpg

It says "sie ist der schlssel." If you look closely at the "I" in "sie" and "ist" you will see that they are not the same as the characters in "schlssel", you can see the "r" in "der" is not the same as the letters as well.

Both the characters in schlssel are the same so if they are not the letter "I" they must be "L" so that would make the word "schlssel."

If you type "schlssel" in Google translate it comes up with "wrench" but if you click on did you mean "schlüssel" it comes up with "key"

So it is supposed to say "sie ist der schlüssel" but because of a translation error or intentional, they missed the "ü" out.

sie ist der schlüssel translates in to "it is the key."

"sie" also means "she" in German though so it could mean "she is the key".

I personally think it says "she is the key" because the red line leads to a person in front of a cave.

JapaneseIsland
14th Mar 2013, 18:36
OMG! He is a great, great survivor, back from death not once, but twice!!! :eek:

What the hell is up with him?
if it's just a randomly generated guy and has no other purpose, that is just lazy.

KspyrusTR
14th Mar 2013, 19:29

It says "sie ist der schlssel." If you look closely at the "I" in "sie" and "ist" you will see that they are not the same as the characters in "schlssel", you can see the "r" in "der" is not the same as the letters as well.

Both the characters in schlssel are the same so if they are not the letter "I" they must be "L" so that would make the word "schlssel."

If you type "schlssel" in Google translate it comes up with "wrench" but if you click on did you mean "schlüssel" it comes up with "key"

So it is supposed to say "sie ist der schlüssel" but because of a translation error or intentional, they missed the "ü" out.

I personally think it says "she is the key" because the red line leads to a person in front of a cave.

holy cow thnx :worship:

larafan25
14th Mar 2013, 19:47
BOYFRIEND.

BOYFRAN

GURFRAN.

We're looking for a spear.

It says "IT is the key" because the person standing in front of that cave is holding a tall spear, and the spear is drawn..

OMG

edit: If we're looking for the spear that pierced the side of Jesus I'm lol'ing because of Lara chasing sharp objects that pierce people in the stomach. Just sayin.

meimeiriver
14th Mar 2013, 19:56

A good find!

You don't seem to have a working knowledge of German, though. So, let me confirm that 'Schlssel' is simply a (now archaic) spelling of Schlüssel. And there's practically no way 'sie' could be translated to 'it' (unless you were somehow referring to a feminine noun, like a name written on the side of a boat or something; but since it's Das Boot, that doesn't fly). So, 'She is the key' is the only viable translation.

larafan25
14th Mar 2013, 19:57
Damn.

I want a spear. It looks like a person holding a spear in front of the cave though, doesn't it?

KspyrusTR
14th Mar 2013, 20:17
Damn.

I want a spear. It looks like a person holding a spear in front of the cave though, doesn't it?

die Lanze ist der schlüssel (the spear is the key)

larafan25
14th Mar 2013, 20:19
die Lanze ist der schlüssel (the spear is the key) ist der schlüssel

omg is this old news? K. I cannot wait for this spear.

Lara needs a jacket in the next game. Just because. HFING

Cristiavano
14th Mar 2013, 20:28
die Lanze ist der schlüssel (the spear is the key)

Britney Spears is the key!!!!

Jk but didnt we have a spear of destiny :p

KspyrusTR
14th Mar 2013, 20:37
Britney Spears is the key!!!!

Jk but didnt we have a spear of destiny :p

yes we had..we r just making assumptions :cool:

BR4DDERS1986
14th Mar 2013, 20:45
A good find!

You don't seem to have a working knowledge of German, though. So, let me confirm that 'Schlssel' is simply a (now archaic) spelling of Schlüssel. And there's practically no way 'sie' could be translated to 'it' (unless you were somehow referring to a feminine noun, like a name written on the side of a boat or something; but since it's Das Boot, that doesn't fly). So, 'She is the key' is the only viable translation.

I have no knowledge of German I am afraid, I just typed "sie ist der schlssel" in Google translate and it came up with "it is the wrench"

When I clicked on did you mean "sie ist der schlüssel" it translated it to "it is the key" which sounds more likely.

I found out "sie" means "she" in German using Google so I thought it likely meant "she is the key" because of the person in front of the cave. The spear comment by larafan25 though makes me think it could be "it is the key" after all.

meimeiriver
14th Mar 2013, 21:03
I have no knowledge of German I am afraid, I just typed "sie ist der schlssel" in Google translate and it came up with "it is the wrench"

When I clicked on did you mean "sie ist der schlüssel" it translated it to "it is the key" which sounds more likely.

I found out "sie" means "she" in German using Google so I thought it likely meant "she is the key" because of the person in front of the cave.

But the spear comment by larafan25 makes me think it could be "it is the key" after all.

Your instincts served you well, my young Padawan. :P

Also, where is this spear thingy coming from? To my shame, I must admit I didn't see the original log these words appear in.

As for 'sie,' guess here is where that working knowledge of German comes in, as, unless a spear where standing right next to it, with an arrow drawn leading all the way up to it, that text, an und für sich, would by a German almost exclusively be read as "She is they key." And even while it is indeed Die Lanze, and indeed the spear were referenced, still "Sie is der Schlüssel" would, though gramatically correct, still be a rather awkwardly 'personal' way to refer to one's spear. A German would simply write "Die Lanze ist der Schlüssel."

These are nuances that are hard to prove, of course (Fingerspitzengefühl, as the Germans call that, lol). But I can pretty much guarantee you're right about "She is the key" being the correct translation.

BR4DDERS1986
14th Mar 2013, 21:41
Your instincts served you well, my young Padawan. :P

Also, where is this spear thingy coming from? To my shame, I must admit I didn't see the original log these words appear in.

As for 'sie,' guess here is where that working knowledge of German comes in, as, unless a spear where standing right next to it, with an arrow drawn leading all the way up to it, that text, an und für sich, would by a German almost exclusively be read as "She is they key." And even while it is indeed Die Lanze, and indeed the spear were referenced, still "Sie is der Schlüssel" would, though gramatically correct, still be a rather awkwardly 'personal' way to refer to one's spear. A German would simply write "Die Lanze ist der Schlüssel."

These are nuances that are hard to prove, of course (Fingerspitzengefühl, as the Germans call that, lol). But I can pretty much guarantee you're right about "She is the key" being the correct translation.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7965/jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjk.jpg

It's from the journal Lara reading in the last scene of the game. I am not to sure but I think someone said you get the scene when you finish the game with 100% completion.

They are supposed to be clues to laras next adventure.

3840x2160 ↓

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8085/1111111111111111111a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/a/img10/1992/tombraider2013031212531.jpg)
(click image to enlarge)

TombRaider4EVERT
14th Mar 2013, 23:42

It's from the journal Lara reading in the last scene of the game. I am not to sure but I think someone said you get the scene when you finish the game with 100% completion.

They are supposed to be clues to laras next adventure.

3840x2160 ↓

(click image to enlarge)

Thats it! the next artifact is...... a wooden stick with a pointed metal tip!

Quick, we must inform the National Inquirer!

meimeiriver
14th Mar 2013, 23:47

Thanks for the context. (And no wonder I hadn't seen it: 100%, Pfft! No, seriously, lol, who does 100%?!)

From looking at the person in that picture, one can clearly see cleavage. So a man is out of the question. So, spears notwithstanding, I still say it simply means "She is the key."

What is that (pencil) language, btw? Looks like Coptic, or something.

larafan25
14th Mar 2013, 23:49
I'm not seeing the cleavage TBH.

BTW I got that ending and I finished with 70%.

Wh1t3Kn1te
14th Mar 2013, 23:52
i always thought that thing that mathias was walking around with was the spear, only he decorated it to look ornamental. *shrugs*

larafan25
14th Mar 2013, 23:53
Where did this spear talk even come from?

Anyways, I think Mathias' stick is just his stick.

BraveNewGuy
15th Mar 2013, 01:21
I have been a fan for TR since a long time ago, the new one is just awesome I finished the story-line few days ago and now I'm free roaming around the island.

There is few things that I miss (like Croft manor, exploring tombs inside the story line rather than having them as a side mission) but hey this is a reboot so I won't complain :P although I do want to see these stuff back in the game. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of free roaming around and discovering things this has added a nice touch to the franchise.

Things I want to see :

1- Croft Manor : I want to be able to play in the croft manor again and I think we will see it in the next game it would be dump if they did't add it again BUT I would love to see a new croft manor (not the one from the previous games) a whole new design and even bigger.

2- Free Roam more than just one place : The island in the new TR is indeed big but why not adding 2 more places to roam and travel around I mean this is what TR is about traveling and exploring the world right, They should add London in the next game tbh (not the whole city just a part of it :D) and also I want Lara to visit Egypt (may sound reductive I know but **** it I want to explore the pyramids again and free roam around them) also I want to see Lara more in the middle east this round not (Morocco for example)

3- Boss fight : While I was playing the new TR I was preparing myself each time for a boss fight but then I'm like ok thank god not now, not now ... ok where the **** is it :lol: I really miss boss fights I was really looking forward to kick that ***** ass (sun queen) but then Lara just stabbed her and I was like really ***** that is it ! :scratch:

4- Drive : So I'm sure the next game will have a bigger place to explore but come on walking around all over the place will be tiring for my poor Lara, I was looking forward for riding horses in the game during the leaks for concept art but then there was nothing to ride in the game. I wouldn't mind a bike and few badass cars (not like fancy cars) something like a Jeep maybe with mud on it you know :thumb:.

5- More Outfits : I know that this is not a barbie game but I do want to see more outfits for Lara, I do miss the catsuit A LOT was my fav during TR:L but I also love the fact that she is not THAT sexy in the new game.

6- Ideas to keep from the new one : I'm sure they will keep few ideas from the new TR such as upgrading your skills I love that idea also getting new weapons, I really had fun with that I felt like oh yeah these *****es will get their asses kicked :p.

7- FINALLY OH GOD PLZ BRING THIS MOVE BACK I ******* MISS IT

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O9ZZ4ZscfBg/SYUoYfkxlfI/AAAAAAAAAf8/WGfQU7NhKGg/s400/LARA1.jpg

and sorry for writing a lot and if there is any mistakes English is not my first language :flowers:

Lord Martok
15th Mar 2013, 01:28
Thanks for the context. (And no wonder I hadn't seen it: 100%, Pfft! No, seriously, lol, who does 100%?!)

From looking at the person in that picture, one can clearly see cleavage. So a man is out of the question. So, spears notwithstanding, I still say it simply means "She is the key."

What is that (pencil) language, btw? Looks like Coptic, or something.

That looks like Cyrillic (Russian written) language to me.
The last line before the page ends looks like it says "LOST (can't quite make out some of that middle word, but the first letter represents a "D" sound) VILLAGE".

LD115
15th Mar 2013, 01:55
This thread is what I want in future Tomb Raider games. Not necessarily part of the game, but messages throughout the game. Hidden messages and meanings to things that take one person to find, but a multitude of people to decode and understand, getting people to actually do research on these subjects despite them being fantasized. All those weird symbols that were different than anything in the rest of the game? They actually tell the truth in a cryptic message, but they'd be hidden to most. When someone would point them out, you'd have the entire internet community scouring for what exactly it means.

This game's been out for a week now and look at just this thread. I've actually felt like I've been learning about language and a bit on cryptography from this thread. it makes me want to set out and discover lost places. It makes me actually feel like I'm discovering lost tombs and artifacts, lost messages that when translated sound like rantings of children or madman but in reality are the truth spoken in the only ways ancient people and languages could describe.

Starting with the easily noticed Croatoan, then evolving in to the red line, and blood stain, and numeral 3 along with the german and crypritic writing, this thread has gone very deep in to what the average person, would just glance at and say "Oh, it's a map for her next adventure" and think nothing more of it.

People are getting excited about a picture and some scribblings in a game. they're trying to figure out what it means and its possible implications. Whereas it may reveal the next Tomb Raider is taking place, that's not the point I'm trying to make. What I'm trying to say is that things like this makes us think and have fun with a concept and it adds immensely to a games value. I don't think it should be used as a teaser for the next game after this one if that is indeed what it really is, but it would add depth to all the games to include little puzzles like these for the players to solve on their own. No reward in-game or through achievements, just things for people to start thinking deeper, to unlock that little curious side of themselves that says, "There's more to this and I want to find out."

Lord Martok
15th Mar 2013, 02:26
This thread is what I want in future Tomb Raider games. Not necessarily part of the game, but messages throughout the game. Hidden messages and meanings to things that take one person to find, but a multitude of people to decode and understand, getting people to actually do research on these subjects despite them being fantasized. All those weird symbols that were different than anything in the rest of the game? They actually tell the truth in a cryptic message, but they'd be hidden to most. When someone would point them out, you'd have the entire internet community scouring for what exactly it means.

This game's been out for a week now and look at just this thread. I've actually felt like I've been learning about language and a bit on cryptography from this thread. it makes me want to set out and discover lost places. It makes me actually feel like I'm discovering lost tombs and artifacts, lost messages that when translated sound like rantings of children or madman but in reality are the truth spoken in the only ways ancient people and languages could describe.

Starting with the easily noticed Croatoan, then evolving in to the red line, and blood stain, and numeral 3 along with the german and crypritic writing, this thread has gone very deep in to what the average person, would just glance at and say "Oh, it's a map for her next adventure" and think nothing more of it.

People are getting excited about a picture and some scribblings in a game. they're trying to figure out what it means and its possible implications. Whereas it may reveal the next Tomb Raider is taking place, that's not the point I'm trying to make. What I'm trying to say is that things like this makes us think and have fun with a concept and it adds immensely to a games value. I don't think it should be used as a teaser for the next game after this one if that is indeed what it really is, but it would add depth to all the games to include little puzzles like these for the players to solve on their own. No reward in-game or through achievements, just things for people to start thinking deeper, to unlock that little curious side of themselves that says, "There's more to this and I want to find out."

Yeah, I like these nice subtleties in the game...the different languages...especially trying to decipher them with my limited knowledge of the written language in that book. It kinda makes me feel like a part of the team on the other side of the screen.

Same thing with the show "StarGate SG-1", there was an episode where there were some Greek/Cyrillic writings (some of the characters are definitely the same in those writings) and I was actually able to decipher part of it. I felt like I was part of the SG-1 team, even though they could not see or hear me. :)

I even had fun deciphering messages scrawled on walls aboard the Ishimura in the game Dead Space. And until I saw a syntax that reminded me of an website URL, I wouldn't have known where to begin. Gimme a small hint like that, I am on the case! :)

It's those levels of immersion I love in a game. :)

KspyrusTR
15th Mar 2013, 10:02
the answer lies with the star

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/spyrosTR/TombRaider2013AllCutscenesMovie-1080pHD11-54-24.jpg

larafan25
15th Mar 2013, 16:51
Crap, I forget the star thing they mention in the documents.

JapaneseIsland
15th Mar 2013, 17:22
*Observing thread.*

meimeiriver
15th Mar 2013, 18:21
I'm not seeing the cleavage TBH.

Cleavage (https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8ivu16phz34lpm/cleavage2.png?m)

That looks like cleavage; and it seems to be person with long hair. I say it's Lara. :)

P.S. Stupid board apparently doesn't like direct images from dropbox. Sigh.

BR4DDERS1986
16th Mar 2013, 10:34
Cleavage (https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8ivu16phz34lpm/cleavage2.png?m)

That looks like cleavage; and it seems to be person with long hair. I say it's Lara. :)

P.S. Stupid board apparently doesn't like direct images from dropbox. Sigh.

I have to agree with Larafaan25, I cant see a cleavage or long hair.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4343/84087117.png

It's a very low pixelated image so I cant make out any gender specific features.

Valenka
16th Mar 2013, 17:35
In the end of Tomb Raider,

A man aboard the Japanese vessel - the Margane - tells Lara they'll be home soon and Lara opens her notebook replying, "I'm not going home." In her notebook, there is some information and a map and a single word written on the top of the page: Croatoan.

Video evidence:

z58RJ7Gt1qg

Skip to 4:20.

For those unaware of what the meaning is behind Croatoan, in 1587, the English, led by John White and financed by Sir Walter Raleigh, made their second attempt at setting up a colony on Roanoke Island, which now lies just off the coast of North Carolina in the USA. The colony was fruitful and productive in the beginning and seemed idyllic. However, it was not long after that the colonists were in fear of the Secotan natives who were hostile and allegedly killed a lone colonist searching for crabs on the beach, so they asked Governor White to return to England and seek help. Due to the war and lack of funds, he could not return until three years later. White landed on 18 August 1590 but found the settlement deserted. His men could not find any trace of the 90 men, 17 women, and 11 children he had left behind, nor was there any sign of a struggle or battle. The cabins had been taken down, the livestock had vanished and of the people the only traces were two graves and a message: the word “Croatoan” carved into a post of the fort and three letters “Cro” carved into a nearby tree.

Could this possibly foreshadow the events of the next Tomb Raider game? Personally, I feel it would be a more than excellent story for the game, as Lara could investigate the disappearances and discover some sort of malevolent force. The only negative side I see to this is having Lara arrive on yet another island with a supernatural, hostile entity around, just like the plot of the reboot game.

Thoughts?

a_big_house
16th Mar 2013, 17:37
This is already in discussion Mason :P But yes, I think it is a major clue as to what the next game will be about :D

Driber
16th Mar 2013, 17:39
^ Merged threads :)

Valenka
16th Mar 2013, 18:08
(click image to enlarge)

I tried translating the Russian letters to English and while I failed, I did get most of it:

EIGHT TIME HVE ORIGTSN ESSENTIL LOSTDEEL VILLGE

Eight time have origin essential lost village?

faervel
18th Mar 2013, 04:21
*spoiler alert*

One of the images in the last scene of the tomb raider game has the word croatoan. A quick google search for the work croatoan pulls up the croatoan mystery. Do you think the next Tomb Raider game will be based around this mystery?? Discuss!

pieiao_Screen-Shot-2013-03-18-at-12.11.34-AM.png

MagnaBass
18th Mar 2013, 06:26
I started this thread on reddit but would love to get more input.

The page in question. (http://i.imgur.com/L61tBU6.jpg)

On the left page we have, among other things, a note paper with Cyrillic writing. Redditor milancheee let me know that the writing is actually English but just using the Cyrillic alphabet and translated it as:

Below that we see a bit of paper with the number and roman numeral for 3 on it. This is what actually got me looking at this stuff in the first place. Redditor SomewhatSpecial asked about Trinity, a mysterious organization you learn very little about and questions are left unanswered. All we seem to know comes from two files:

The bottom of the original screenshot is German. Redditor darthbiki reports that it is "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key".

1: Top Left, note with Cyrillic. Translation:

May refer to Roanoke. I do not know the significance of "eight have origin."

2: Behind the note you can see a drawing of what could be a spear, arrow, window, etc.

3: Note with 3 and III? - Could be referring to Trinity

4: Drawing of some cliffs with what appears to be a cave circled in red. The drawing is taken from a book of some sort, indicated by the Figure: Etching underneath.

5: German - She is the key.

6: Top right is the word Croatoan with an arrow pointing towards a spot on the map below. Croatoan may refer to Roanoke.

7: The map is faded and it is hard to compare it to any area maps I've looked up of the area around Roanoke or Hatteras Island, historically called Croatoan. There are red lines drawn, some of which appear to follow a border and/or river. Interestingly the arrow does not point to the same location that is marked with the x on teh map but to a separate spot.

8: Blood stained paper saying _runter. I can't make out the first letter clearly but, if in English, the logical word would be grunter. However the first letter doesn't appear to be one used in the English alphabet so this may be in an alphabet like Cyrillic that shares some characters with English.

9: The writing at the bottom appears to be in Cyrillic or an alphabet that shares characters with it, but due to the font my layman eyes can't determine a way to read it.

Furthermore I was searching for a map to compare to the faded map in her journal and found this map of the area surrounding Roanoke:

So there you have it, there's everything I know. Any other contributors care to share any knowledge they can put forward, or any fun fan theories? :D

good find

Lord Martok
18th Mar 2013, 09:46
People, people, it's
Lost deep village
L=Л
P=П

I had self studied some Cyrillic back in my high school and Army days....I knew the first and third words...and I had a suspicion about the second word....LOST...DEEP...VILLAGE....

what got me though was that I guess the Cyrillic was just more of a cypher, rather than an actual written form of the Russian language. It would likely have looked a lot different if LOST DEEP VILLAGE were spoken in Russian and then written in Cyrillic. My Russian (spoken) is extremely limited.....Ya goverutahl kuni minawga...."I speak very little" if you will. :) So, I don't know the Russian words for "Lost Deep Village", I only recognized that this Cyrillic said something in English equivalent. :)

Heh....when I was a teenager drawing comics (when I should've been studying) in high school, I used to do an action adventure comic...and this was back of course during the Cold War era....so at that time, the Russians (the Soviet ones) were our adversaries. When I had the hero of the story (or any adversaries) speak in "Russian", sometimes he/they would speak genuine Russian, which I wrote out in the best Cyrillic I could...and other times, just to make it seem like he was still speaking Russian, I would have his/their English phrases written out in Cyrillic. (I had handwritten my own guide to Cyrillic, and some Russian phrases, and kept it handy for such undertakings.) It was pretty funny because any of my friends who actually looked at my comic were like "Damn, dude! That took some talent to actually have a your characters speakin' all Russian like that!" (How little they knew. :lol: )

I guess you can say I pulled a Croft before Croft ever pulled a Croft. :D

For some reason, I've always had a thing for languages...be they real or fictional.

In Dead Space, there were Unitology scribblings all over the walls of the Ishimura. I didn't have a strategy guide or any online help. I just looked at the scribblings...and then one thing caught my eye. The lower line of one of the scribblings was scrawled out in the form of a URL for a website. Then I looked at the writing patterns. Sure enough, I deciphered the website URL, and then, from there, divined some of the alphabet of the Unitology scribblings....I was gradually building up enough to where there were only a couple characters missing from the Unitology alphabet. :)

Not bad for someone who didn't pay very much attention to other things in high school, if I do say so meself. :D

Tecstar70
18th Mar 2013, 10:35
Lost Deep Village - could be DLC for this game. There are bound to be parts of the island yet unexplored....

Driber
18th Mar 2013, 10:40
This discussion here looks like the exact same one that's going on in the official TR10 speculation thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=134407). Though I just skimmed this thread due to being incredibly busy, so I am not 100% sure. If I'm mistaken, let me know, otherwise the staff will merge the threads :)

JapaneseIsland
18th Mar 2013, 12:28
Lara picked up the Journal in Mathias' headquarters.
Its Mathias'.

Melkane
20th Mar 2013, 14:50
Anyone looking to get some extra theorized information on the whole Croatoan stuff, I was searching around youtube, as I figured there may be something about it, and curious for the next game... and came across this to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4OLh9ONbY

_Ninja_
20th Mar 2013, 15:33
I speak Russian and I would decipher it as :

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deep* village

*This is a little confusing because the last letter could be either Л (L) or П (P) or even a very sloppy Д (D) like the first letter. Which would make it either "deep", "deal", "dead", or "deed".

meimeiriver
20th Mar 2013, 15:47
I speak Russian and I would decipher it as :

Eight have origin
Time essential
Lost deep* village

*This is a little confusing because the last letter could be either Л (L) or П (P) or even a very sloppy Д (D) like the first letter. Which would make it either "deep", "deal", "dead", or "deed".

Thx! Brilliant stuff! :)

VodkaSushiRoll
20th Mar 2013, 16:22
Posted this in another thread, felt it deserved to be here as well.

So during my 2nd playthrough I discovered Trinity the name that is mentioned twice if you collect all of the gps's is mentioned a 3rd time during this part here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vuW1S7AE9l8#t=371s

Thought it was interesting. With the island clear of Himiko now maybe they will check things out and try to piece together what happened while Lara was on it and before that, maybe take something ;) To have a ship & rescue helicopter on hand they clearly got some bank to work with. Unless it was just chance the freighter was named that. Maybe that's the freighter that picks Lara & crew up at the end.

faervel
21st Mar 2013, 04:52
It is so sad the DC is focusing on the multiplayer portion of LC...looks like these clues will have to wait until her next full adventure :(

meimeiriver
21st Mar 2013, 04:59
People, people, it's
Lost deep village
L=Л
P=П

Now, the pertinent question is: What does "Lost deep village" mean, really? Could it mean underground village? Village located inside a deep valley or something?

JRod108
21st Mar 2013, 05:02
Now, the pertinent question is: What does "Lost deep village" mean, really? Could it mean underground village? Village located inside a deep valley or something?

What I hope is that this is not a reference of some kind to Atlantis. I feel that CD should not try to rehash TR1 all over again because of said game and the already tried TR:A. If this is a reference to that, please, please let it be an easter egg because I do not want this series to go back to already tried plots.

meimeiriver
21st Mar 2013, 05:07
What I hope is that this is not a reference of some kind to Atlantis. I feel that CD should not try to rehash TR1 all over again because of said game and the already tried TR:A. If this is a reference to that, please, please let it be an easter egg because I do not want this series to go back to already tried plots.

Yeah. Didn't they also do a Tomb Raider Underworld, btw?

/me, now regrets not having played those. :)

laracrofty1
21st Mar 2013, 20:35
if it is the spear of Destiny the one that pierced the side of Christ that is in Vienna, it was brought back in 1945.
just want to ask a question - I replayed the game and now have 2 skill points I can't use since I maxed all skills, is there an extentsion for SP coming?

larafan25
21st Mar 2013, 21:00
^No SP DLC.

laracrofty1
21st Mar 2013, 21:41
^No SP DLC.
thanks, I did a search to see if there was and none for SP just MP which is soooo stupid and unfair!:mad2:

meimeiriver
22nd Mar 2013, 05:10
if it is the spear of Destiny the one that pierced the side of Christ that is in Vienna, it was brought back in 1945.

I'm all for speculation and all, but geez, it's just a generic spear we see!

Shaikh
22nd Mar 2013, 05:34
thanks, I did a search to see if there was and none for SP just MP which is soooo stupid and unfair!:mad2:
Its good on the other way around, Crystal D is putting all their efforts and innovations on the sequel. :D

Elessar78
23rd Mar 2013, 01:55
The rescue chopper hailed from the freighter Trinity. Coincidence?

Elessar78
23rd Mar 2013, 01:59
A good find!

Didn't Mathias say about Sam "she is the key"? No idea why it's in german, though.

Wh1t3Kn1te
23rd Mar 2013, 02:01
I'm all for speculation and all, but geez, it's just a generic spear we see!the spear that was used to stab Jesus was a typical roman spear, its not too far out of the question.

meimeiriver
23rd Mar 2013, 06:38
the spear that was used to stab Jesus was a typical roman spear, its not too far out of the question.

Well, respecting everyone's belief system and all, I honestly think that's taking things a mite too far. So, if Lara gets wounded, are we going to compare her wounds to that of Jesus now?! You're free to do so, of course; but I'd say things are getting a bit weird then.

Driber
24th Mar 2013, 07:41
Received an email from someone who has been watching this thread and wanted to input (without signing up :nut:):

----------------

Hello.

While looking for a screen cap of the journal from the latest Tomb Raider game I came across that lengthy discussion on the TR forum trying to decipher it's meanings.
I have no interest in signing up for another forum so I used the banner to your home page to get a email address (hope you don't mind)

I though you might want to mention to the others that there is a lot of other text on the pages but you will need to run them through photo shop using the burn and dodge tools.
The page on the left is covered in notes and on the right page there is something under the last few letters at the top and more text at the bottom of the page.

I did a lot of this type of thing when I was working on my Uncharted 2 journal last year so faint text always catches my eye..

Cheers

Eric M.

laracrofty1
24th Mar 2013, 13:04
I have been looking into this star phenomenon and came across this - -http://blog.alientimes.org/2013/02/when-the-sky-came-falling-down-remembering-the-tsukuba-meteorite-%E3%81%A4%E3%81%8F%E3%81%B0%E9%9A%95%E7%9F%B3-of-1996-at-the-ibaraki-nature-museum-in-bando-city-until-june-12th/

a couple of photos down there is a photo of a map, now taking that map and turning Lara's map upside down got this - interesting?:rasp:
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/TsukuBlog_zps16ed1262.jpg

aussie500
24th Mar 2013, 14:25
For the spear enthusiasts, in the general's tomb, if you look at the painting of the Sun Queen on the wall, not only is she a warrior holding a bow, she also has a strange looking spear in her left hand. I play the console versions, so sorry I have no nice detailed screenshot, maybe one of the PC players could get us one.

The hint in German would still be "she is the key" though.

I do not suppose any of the PC players could also please get a good screenshot of the wall showing Mathias's research? Would be nice to see if there was anything in there not already mentioned in this thread.

I have been looking into this star phenomenon and came across this

a couple of photos down there is a photo of a map, now taking that map and turning Lara's map upside down got this - interesting?:rasp:
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/TsukuBlog_zps16ed1262.jpg

The maps do not look anything alike to me, and there are at least two red crosses on our map, as well as an arrow pointing to this Croatoan person or place. There is a missing piece of the map that could have been a third cross.

And Lara's map is obviously not a map of Japan showing where Tsukuba is, Japan might be an island, but it is an entirely different shape to the island we explore in the game. Lara is not on the mainland.

laracrofty1
24th Mar 2013, 15:59
For the spear enthusiasts, in the general's tomb, if you look at the painting of the Sun Queen on the wall, not only is she a warrior holding a bow, she also has a strange looking spear in her left hand. I play the console versions, so sorry I have no nice detailed screenshot, maybe one of the PC players could get us one.

The hint in German would still be "she is the key" though.

I do not suppose any of the PC players could also please get a good screenshot of the wall showing Mathias's research? Would be nice to see if there was anything in there not already mentioned in this thread.

The maps do not look anything alike to me, and there are at least two red crosses on our map, as well as an arrow pointing to this Croatoan person or place. There is a missing piece of the map that could have been a third cross.

And Lara's map is obviously not a map of Japan showing where Tsukuba is, Japan might be an island, but it is an entirely different shape to the island we explore in the game. Lara is not on the mainland.

here's a photo I took from youtube she looks like a native American, but they did originate in Asia http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/bonniebluebaby/himico_zps5e87c5fa.jpg hope this helps:)

nevillet
24th Mar 2013, 20:40
Reading this thread, there are 3 theories for the journal:

1) It's Lara's
2) It's her father's
3) It's the one she took from Matthias' desk

Also, not sure if someone has mentioned it, but:

4) It's the WW2 German one she took from the bunker after returning from the Endurance (Alex mission)

I'm leaning toward number 4) - after all, is there any indication that Mathias is German? or Russian?

Also, it makes perfect sense from a developer's perspective for the sequel to be on Croatoan Island - it means they could use the same engine, much of the vegetation and landscaping, rock climbing etc... to speed up the process and get something to market faster than 3 years. Yay!
Throw in some swimming and maybe a vehicle, and I'd be in bliss....

larafan25
24th Mar 2013, 20:53
I always thought that girl in the mural was supposed to be a Lara-like figure.

Who is she anyways?

aussie500
24th Mar 2013, 21:52
Lara has never investigates the mystery, so it is not her journal, until someone comes up with a nice big picture of what Mathias was up to I doubt it was his. Mathias never got off the island so why would he have been investigating clues in other countries while trapped on an island. My vote goes to it being her father's journal.

And the Sun Queen in the mural is Japanese, no reason why she would be native American, they are on a Japanese island, and all the statues have been Asiatic in appearance (or demonic), no sign they got any of their Sun Queens from any other region. Here is a crappy camera shot of the XBox 360 version, which is better than the youtube picture.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/TR9/SunQueen_zps28edbee2.jpg

No sign of any strange amulets, but the spear seems unusual, from what I could see of it. It might not be a spear.

laracrofty1
24th Mar 2013, 22:14
Lara has never investigates the mystery, so it is not her journal, until someone comes up with a nice big picture of what Mathias was up to I doubt it was his. Mathias never got off the island so why would he have been investigating clues in other countries while trapped on an island. My vote goes to it being her father's journal.

And the Sun Queen in the mural is Japanese, no reason why she would be native American, they are on a Japanese island, and all the statues have been Asiatic in appearance (or demonic), no sign they got any of their Sun Queens from any other region. Here is a crappy camera shot of the XBox 360 version, which is better than the youtube picture.

No sign of any strange amulets, but the spear seems unusual, from what I could see of it. It might not be a spear.

Much better picture she has a bow also she is wearing a necklace can anyone get a close up pic of Lara's necklace? I'm on xbox 360 too, but I think it has 3 things on it like on the Oni's belt!

meimeiriver
24th Mar 2013, 23:12

First of all, I love this kinda stuff. :) And thanks for posting this clear image!

As for the spear, it very much looks like a Yari-Japanese Samurai Spear:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Estampe-p1000685.jpg/417px-Estampe-p1000685.jpg

The robe of the woman on the wall, with the typical wide sleeves and belt, would certain fit the profile of female Samurai.

Is it some prophetic muriel depicting Lara?! Certainly seems to suggests so. :) And yes, the girl in the image is clearly Asian, but that means nothing. There simply could have been some sort of legend, in which it was foretold that one day a timid, but great warrior woman would come to the island, and that she would be the key to... And the people of that era would have simply painted an Asian woman.

aussie500
24th Mar 2013, 23:27
The general owed his allegiance to one woman only, his queen, the mural was pretty well explained in the game. And it clearly shows the same rayed pattern of a sun queen. Now there were a couple of comments made by Solarii in the game that maybe the sun queen was with Lara instead of the girl they had. And the scars on Lara's upper arms at the end, are a bit suspicious, Sam had a star pattern marked in a similar position. That could also just be a red herring to make us think that though.

It would not be the first time we ended up with two friends, going after the same thing, who both seemed entitled to that heritage. But we have yet to see how Lara would connect to the mystery.

_Ninja_
24th Mar 2013, 23:34
Image is the sun queen. I mean look at the sun in the image.

larafan25
24th Mar 2013, 23:37
Ooooh. I never realized. She doesn't seem like a queen in the image.

Elessar78
24th Mar 2013, 23:51
The robe of the woman on the wall, with the typical wide sleeves and belt, would certain fit the profile of female Samurai.

Is it some prophetic muriel depicting Lara?! Certainly seems to suggests so. :) And yes, the girl in the image is clearly Asian, but that means nothing. There simply could have been some sort of legend, in which it was foretold that one day a timid, but great warrior woman would come to the island, and that she would be the key to... And the people of that era would have simply painted an Asian woman.

Your imagination runs wild. Sometimes a woman is just some woman. ;)

larafan25
25th Mar 2013, 00:10

I remember reading some mythology about the sun queen (or Ameterasu, are they the same? IDK) and that there was a younger women or something who brought back light to the land or whatever.

aussie500
25th Mar 2013, 06:11
Received an email from someone who has been watching this thread and wanted to input (without signing up :nut:):

----------------

Hello.

While looking for a screen cap of the journal from the latest Tomb Raider game I came across that lengthy discussion on the TR forum trying to decipher it's meanings.
I have no interest in signing up for another forum so I used the banner to your home page to get a email address (hope you don't mind)

I though you might want to mention to the others that there is a lot of other text on the pages but you will need to run them through photo shop using the burn and dodge tools.
The page on the left is covered in notes and on the right page there is something under the last few letters at the top and more text at the bottom of the page.

I did a lot of this type of thing when I was working on my Uncharted 2 journal last year so faint text always catches my eye..

Cheers

Eric M.

While I did notice the faded and smaller writing once I saw the higher resolution screenshot, I do not have photoshop and have been unable so far to get much of a picture. The smaller writing under the tape on the right hand page just seems to say Lost Deep Village again. But thank you to Eric M for bringing the extra info to our attention, and for Driber for passing the message along. Now Eric wants to send a photoshoped picture with the faded writing readable we would all get excited. or a better picture of what seems to be a picture of a boat.

I will contribute a prettier map showing Croatoan and its surrounds, I had not seen this one posted yet. Apologies if it was.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/TR9/th_DeBry-Map_zps898cd3a1.jpg (http://s81.photobucket.com/user/aussie500/media/TR9/DeBry-Map_zps898cd3a1.jpg.html)

Strange Photobucket seems to have resized it. :(

Edit
The proper sized map, looks like I will not be using photobucket for anything large from now on.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9339/debrymapbig.jpg

Shaikh
25th Mar 2013, 12:21

You mean these?
jwocgd_Mathias_research1.jpg

jzsewz_Mathias_research2.jpg

jkcvlt_Mathias_research3.jpg

jrgykf_Mathias_research4.jpg

jzcpnr_Mathias_research5.jpg

laracrofty1
25th Mar 2013, 13:06
When I played the game for the first time it struck me,
1, the oni seemed to help Lara at two points in the story while they believed she was protecting Sam until the end when they knew Lara wanted to kill Himiko!
2, Sam has to be effected by what happened, Like Amanda in earlier games! what if Part or all of Himiko's soul is now in Sam?
3, the photo's above, depicts a warrior not a queen what if Lara is the warrior and has to stop Sam who is now free in the world?
4, one photo shows Mathias on shipwreck beach, he seems content, so he wanted to be there! A new general for the sun queen?
5, the GPS message at the end, is for Lara,who definitely knows more hence no 10th journal entry even though there is an empty slot that should be filled!
and last
6, Whitman, knew a hell of a lot about the island even at the start!

meimeiriver
25th Mar 2013, 14:55
3, the photo's above, depicts a warrior not a queen what if Lara is the warrior and has to stop Sam who is now free in the world?

See?! I knew I wasn't crazy! :) That woman on the muriel is a warrior (holding a Samurai spear, and Samurai clothing). And I maintain it's meant to depict Lara somehow (as in a prophetic vision of a woman coming to the island one day... setting Himiko free? Finally defeating Himiko?)

Just look at all the circumstantial evidence:

1) it's a young woman;
2) She has long, black (TressFX) hair :p
3) She's wearing a necklace not unlike Lara;
4) Seems to have bow as a primary weapon.