PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider unplayable with Nvidia Cards

Bench
6th Mar 2013, 15:58
Hi there,

I have about 5 FPS in Tomb Raider and after 3mins in game it crashes.

My Hardware:
Windows 8 Pro x64
Rampage IV Extreme
Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.7 GHz watercooled
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro Raid 0 / Seagate Momentus XT Storage
2x Asus GTX 690 Quad-SLI
3x BenQ XL2420T (Triple-Screen Setup for Nvidia Surround)
Asus D2X Soundcard / Astro A50 Wireless Headset
Enermax Platimax 1500 Watts PSU

I have spent so freaking much money on my Setup and getting 5FPS.. that's ridiculous!

I'm not alone: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/533493/geforce-drivers/nvidia-please-take-a-look-at-tomb-raider/

This thread has over 14000 views in less then 24 HOURS.

First Post from Nvidia (Page 2):

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.
In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

Latest post from Nvidia in this Thread (Page 4):

We are hoping we can get a newer driver out late this month with some of these fixes included.

"We are hoping we can get a newer driver out LATE THIS MONTH"

This is unacceptable.

All Gamers with Issues on Nvidia Cards need to wait now for 2 or 3 weeks maybe more..

How could that happened to a AAA Title?
Whose fault is it?! Eidos/Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics?
For not giving out the source code to Nvidia?

Stay Frosty
6th Mar 2013, 16:26
Is it just maximum settings where you have issues?

My GTX 680 runs it great, with TressFX enabled too. Granted, I have a few things turned down to "Normal". Using 314.14 beta drivers.

Bench
6th Mar 2013, 16:29
Is it just maximum settings where you have issues?

My GTX 680 runs it great, with TressFX enabled too. Granted, I have a few things turned down to "Normal". Using 314.14 beta drivers.

It doesnt matter which settings because the SLI Function is bricked too in that game so my 2 690's have 4 GPU's but only 1 GPU is loaded.

Did you tried Tesselation ON in the Settings?

neamerjell
6th Mar 2013, 16:37
My system specs:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Core i5 3570K (Stock clock speed)
8 GB Corsair DDR3
Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD (GTX 670, 2 GB)

I'm running Ultimate settings, everything but tessellation. I read in a different forum I found when I Googled a crash to desktop that turning off tessellation and waiting for a driver update will allow you to play the game. It worked for me.

BTW, I think your computer costs more than my car... :)

Bench
6th Mar 2013, 16:55
My system specs:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Core i5 3570K (Stock clock speed)
8 GB Corsair DDR3
Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD (GTX 670, 2 GB)

I'm running Ultimate settings, everything but tessellation. I read in a different forum I found when I Googled a crash to desktop that turning off tessellation and waiting for a driver update will allow you to play the game. It worked for me.

BTW, I think your computer costs more than my car... :)

Hi neamerjell,

Thanks for the tipp but when i start the game the SLI function goes off and you can imagine what happens to a dual gpu card when running not synchronized.

This is my Setup: http://imageshack.us/a/img843/9009/38836030839546585154010.jpg

So i have connected Screen 1 and 2 to the first GTX 690 and the 3rd Screen to the 2nd GTX 690.

One GPU per Screen and one GPU left for Physix or 50/50 handle of the other screen i don't know it exactly.

Toypop
6th Mar 2013, 16:57
Running it on ultimate but with tessellation disabled to stop the crashing, I get higher frame rates and a fraction of the fan noise by disabling SLI on my 680's.

Dunno what it is doing when SLI is enabled but it is making a hell of a lot more heat and noise and producing lower frame rates!

pissed
6th Mar 2013, 19:00
Fans in U.S.of A. can't get the game unless they have hi speed costly internet, and have to deal with stream BS!

Bench
6th Mar 2013, 22:44
I contacted the nvidia costumer support about this an the answer I got:

Karthik: The exact time frame cannot be commented on for now but this should be taken care in the next driver version that will be released shortly.

One Guy is saying "late this month" and another guy is saying "shortly" thats really nice, isn't it?

The thread on the nvidia forums hits now 22,700 views and some gaming-sites already published news about this case..

so i hope that speeds it up a little bit :/

SamuraiGuy
6th Mar 2013, 22:49
Dang, two GTX 690s? I'm so jealous. I only have one and it struggles to maintain 60fps w/ this game.

T9X69
7th Mar 2013, 07:31
Dang, two GTX 690s? I'm so jealous. I only have one and it struggles to maintain 60fps w/ this game.

You're joking right? I have a 660 TI and can run this game flawlessly at 60FPS with Tessellation and TessFX off. With TessFX on, I maintain around 40-50FPS. Only problem is I get tons of CTDs like many other Nvidia users. If you have a 690 and struggling to get 60FPS, something with your set up isn't right.

Daz1967
7th Mar 2013, 10:09
@ T9X69 - The game is reportedly running OK on older v310.xx and v311.xx drivers, it is the recent v314.xx which has major issues for NVIDIA cards owners with tessellation enabled, at least from my own experiences where the game freezes my system anywhere from a few minutes to an hour into the game when tessellation is enabled (TressFX Hair is also enabled too and could be a contributory factor).

This game sure is buggy for us NVIDIA graphics card owners though with the v314.14 beta drivers... here are the issues I've come across:

1. [Minor Issue] Using in-game 2xSSAA or 4xSSAA causes the hidden relics to disappear or not display properly (and someone else mentioned a water rendering glitch on the Guru3D forums, although I've not seen that myself).

2. [Moderate Issue] The Anti-Aliasing (AA) setting keeps changing in both the Launcher and the in-game Graphics Options from 2xSSAA to FXAA. And switching to EF mode seems to 'lock' the settings, which prevents the AA settings from changing but also prevents changes to any of the other options either!

3. [Major Issue] Tessellation causes intermittent hitching, even during FMV cutscenes such as the intro and videocam clips, and total system freezes within minutes of playing with the default profile and after about an hour with the Hitman Absolution (plus it still hitches).

4. [Minor Issue] Rain passing through solid walls and ceilings where Lara is actually sheltered.

5. [Major Issue] I've had at least one save corruption bug when I exited the game normally too, albeit I pressed Alt-F4 to get the Do you want to exit the Game? prompt. Thank goodness for cloud saves as I was able to get it back!

*Edit*
This issue may have been the result of the recent patch which was found to cause this issue and reverted back to the original version this morning.

6. [Minor Issue] The Monitor Aspect Ratio Auto and 16:10 settings result in different sized displays on my 1920x1200 screen and is obvious if you toggle between the two! They should be identical so I presume the Auto setting isn't detecting the 16:10 aspect ratio correctly.

7. [Major Issue] Changing the settings in the game when TressFX is enabled causes the framerate to tank to 2 fps and it doesn't go away until I exit the game and reload it. Even though exiting to the menu returns the framerate to 60 fps, if I resume my save the framerate goes back to 2 fps; only exiting and reloading the game fixes it.

8. [Minor Issue] TressFX hair seems to be prone to flickering with SLI but is reported to behave more normally (as normal as the bizarre hair physics in this game allow for, anyway) on a single GPU card.

9. [Minor Issue] Enabling Exclusive Fullscreen (EF) was a major hassle on my system as it would give a "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings" error on launching the game with it checked. I had to switch the Aspect Ratio from Auto to 16:10, lower the resolution from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080, switch it refresh rate from 50 to 60 Hz, then the game would launch with EF enabled. I was then able to quit the game, switch back to 1920x1200 60 Hz and the game now plays with EF enabled as confirmed by the in-game options.

mattkrueg
7th Mar 2013, 10:15
Using a single GTX 690, WIN 7 x64.

I was crashing left and right, having graphical issues/anomalies also. I turned off Exclusive Fullscreen and Tessellation. Doing so I've been playing at around 45-50 FPS on Ultimate with no crashes.

BR4DDERS1986
7th Mar 2013, 10:24
We just need new to wait for new NVIDIA drivers. NVIDIA never got the final build of the game until the weaken before it launched.

The final build is supposed to of been worse than the one they were optimising the drivers for.

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings.

Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

Sauce: Tomb Raider Crash issue (NVIDIA forums) (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/533528/pc-games/tomb-raider-crash-issue/post/3752782/#3752782)

Edit: It has already been posted, I must be blind.

K33NY
7th Mar 2013, 14:02

I got a GTX 670 and after tweaking graphics a bbit, mostly high/ultra I now have average 75 FPS

Lidd
7th Mar 2013, 23:31
Under options of Tomb Raider launcher, click on options and uncheck exclusive fullscreen. Then play

LLOYD1985
7th Mar 2013, 23:56
I'm running a GTX 480 with Ultimate settings with 45fps but it some areas of the game frame rate drops down to 5fps with TressFX on. I'm using the new Nvidia driver 314.14

SE_Param
8th Mar 2013, 00:32
I would like to suggest this for anyone who hasn't update there Nvidia drivers.

Some users of NVIDIA graphics hardware may experience intermittent game instability. To reduce the likelihood of this occurring, we advise that you either ensure that you are using the latest drivers for your specific configuration or install the latest NVIDIA Beta 134.14 drivers from the NVIDIA website. Reducing the ‘Quality’ setting from the ‘Advanced’ tab of your game options may also help.
We recommend that you reduce the graphical quality settings to 'ULTRA' or lower or set the 'Hair Quality' setting to 'Normal', if you do encounter any game instability when using ULTIMATE settings.

Terminal Meltdown
8th Mar 2013, 00:50
I was playing on ultra when I received the crash "Tomb Raider has stopped working" on my 680GTX

Thechrisglasgow
24th Apr 2013, 18:33
I've completed tomb raider without any issues, playing on 3 3D moniters, But when i tried to replay game on a harder difficulty it has started to crash after about 10 mins of play, been having same issues with deadspace 3, I thought it was something to do with my 3D or programmes running in the background, But i have played other games at length an had no issues with them, Im running latest driver 320.00 an still havin these problems :(

Defected
3rd May 2013, 13:34
Just got the game on steam sale and its so broken . FPS dropping into the 40s 50s . This is why I am starting to hate gaming ! Waste all my money on new hardware only to play it on broken software . What the hell is the point to buying games when all you get in return is BS .

GTX 680 sli
i7 3770k 4.5

I can be looking to the right and my frames hit 140 then look to my left and frames drop 40s . Just got the pickax and my frames drop into the 40s majority of the time .

NixxesSoftware
3rd May 2013, 21:08
To improve your performance you may want to look at some of the work-arounds in this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136427.