PDA

View Full Version : PC Benchmark Thread

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 13:34
Use the in-game benchmark utility so everyone gets the same results!

FPS: Average 45 fps

SPECS: AMD 6850, Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz, 4 gb ram, Windows 7

SETTINGS:
Normal Hair
Normal Shadows
No SSA
Normal DOF
FXAA

Everything else on ultra

TressFX takes about 15-20 fps off

Screenshot for reference:

BELOW IS WITH EVERYTHING ON HIGH IT CRIPPLED MY FPS OBVIOUSLY :P

Also note that tressfx hair has a wierd collision polygon making it look a bit floaty when it lands on laras shoulders.

Experimental tech so you can't complain :P

AND EVERYTHING ON LOWEST

Serious kudos to the PC team for the options, incredible

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 13:36
Wow so TressFX is really demanding??
It sucks that i will not be able to use it!!! :( They should do better job!

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 13:39
Wow so TressFX is really demanding??
It sucks that i will not be able to use it!!! :( They should do better job!

If it's any consolation, the high res textured hair without tressfx looks better IMHO.

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 13:44
If it's any consolation, the high res textured hair without tressfx looks better IMHO.

I Have 6850 too.
Can you post me your full settings pls?

CameO73
4th Mar 2013, 13:50
TressFX takes about 20 fps off
Damn! That's a lot ... especially since you're using TressFx on an AMD card. Well, it still looks fantastic!

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 13:51
I Have 6850 too.
Can you post me your full settings pls?

Select ultra, and then change all of the settings in my OP to those settings and you will probably get my FPS CPU and RAM pending.

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 13:51
That hair look hilarious!! Electricity! Lmao

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 13:52
atually if it was 25-30 -> 45 it might be 15 fps drop with tress

Still significant

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 13:53
Select ultra, and then change all of the settings in my OP to those settings and you will probably get my FPS CPU and RAM pending.

I Dont have game just asking thanks.

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 13:59
I Dont have game just asking thanks.

Ok, well everything on ultra except the specs I listed :)

Shaikh
4th Mar 2013, 14:00
Nice screens. Can you post a TressFX screenshot? :)

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 14:02

2nd screen is with TFX.

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 14:06

Second one is a tressfx one

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 14:11
It looks like game updates and beta drivers for this game will be must have!
Game is optimized... not very well.

_Ninja_
4th Mar 2013, 14:20
It's not necessarily badly optimized just because people can't max it.

Shaikh
4th Mar 2013, 14:21
2nd screen is with TFX.

Second one is a tressfx one

Oops, they don't seem like the one AMD released! :o

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 14:24
It's not necessarily badly optimized just because people can't max it.

Exactly, my card is crappy and it's running TOmb Raider great.

nixxes does the best ports in the industry, sure they might have more to optimize down the track, but woooow!

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 14:25
Oops, they don't seem like the one AMD released! :o

Lmao ikr?? :lol:

Tbh. after seeing few videos of it i have to say that it looks looks like ****!
And no i am not bitter because i probably will not be able to turn it on but that hair is mess!
It's so light and it's just everywhere it doesn't even look like normal human hair and doesn't act like that. It's like horse tail on her head.
She is dirty, in bruises and covered with blood but her hair looks like she just left hair salon... in mars!

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 14:27

And no i am not bitter because i probably will not be able to turn it on but that hair is mess!
It's so light and it's just everywhere it doesn't even look like normal human hair and doesn't act like that. It's like horse tail on her head.
She is dirty, in bruises and covered with blood but her hair looks like she just left hair salon... in mars!

Baby steps, tech doesn't just leap into amazingness out of nowhere

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
4th Mar 2013, 14:41

I disagree, it looks great, in my opinion. Makes the character model so much more "alive".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZljXmUEdHo

The only problem is, the hair doesn't touch Lara's shoulders, they probably wanted to avoid some weird clipping errors.

namitokiwa
4th Mar 2013, 14:51
How can you have the benchmark?

Metalrocks
4th Mar 2013, 14:54
so, finally can play the game. i had to switch few things off because it was lagging like hell. i have to admit that her hair with tressfx looks a bit weird. for the moment i leave it on since it does look nice more or less. the rest i have set to high and it runs very smoothly. as soon i switch to ultra, things start to get laggy.

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 14:54
I disagree, it looks great, in my opinion. Makes the character model so much more "alive".

The only problem is, the hair doesn't touch Lara's shoulders, they probably wanted to avoid some weird clipping errors.

It's good to be seen once imo. And that's all.
It doesn't mean anything to me

Shaikh
4th Mar 2013, 14:56

Is there any other video except this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZljXmUEdHo)? :)

namitokiwa
4th Mar 2013, 14:59
Use the in-game benchmark utility so everyone gets the same results!

FPS: Average 45 fps

SPECS: AMD 6850, Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz, 4 gb ram, Windows 7

SETTINGS:
Normal Hair
Normal Shadows
No SSA
Normal DOF
FXAA

Everything else on ultra

TressFX takes about 15-20 fps off

Screenshot for reference:

BELOW IS WITH EVERYTHING ON HIGH IT CRIPPLED MY FPS OBVIOUSLY :P

Also note that tressfx hair has a wierd collision polygon making it look a bit floaty when it lands on laras shoulders.

Experimental tech so you can't complain :P

AND EVERYTHING ON LOWEST

Serious kudos to the PC team for the options, incredible

Do you think My PC can handle it?
Here is my PC:
CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1230 V2 3.30GHZ
Graphic Card: Nvidia EVGA GTX 660Ti 2GB
Ram: 16gb
HDD: 1TB.
I hope I could handle the max settings with Tress FX with above 45fps? :mad2:

Rider
4th Mar 2013, 15:00
Is there any other video except this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZljXmUEdHo)? :)

Few live streams were happening few minutes ago. I am not sure rn.

Lantea
4th Mar 2013, 15:17
It looks like game updates and beta drivers for this game will be must have!
Game is optimized... not very well.

Beta or newer drivers for the GPU is never a solution, remember that many people play it on Entertainment or Gaming laptops that don't get driver updates from AMD directly and most OEMs don't give a **** about releasing new GPU drivers even for their high end laptops.
(e.g. HP, Dell/Alienware, and I am sure other OEMs as well)

Lantea
4th Mar 2013, 15:25

Finally a link to a hair video ;) thx

It looks a bit weird at times, but definitely a step forward.
Now the only question remains, how my PC handles it, not having high hopes though, since it only has AMD HD 6770m card :(

Stay Frosty
4th Mar 2013, 15:34
Any FOV options?

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 15:46
Any FOV options?

It's a tps, not common to have an FoV option in a TPS

Relight-TRHQ
4th Mar 2013, 15:51
Interesting... nice to see a video, since I don't have DX11. It looks awesome in screenshots... but a bit weird in video. The floating on shoulders isn't great :hmm: And maybe it's just me but the hair does seem kinda weird to me in the wind too, although I thought the same thing about the non-TressFX hair. Well, as others have said, and I agree, it's certainly a great step forward in the technology for hair in video games. I'll definitely be interested to watch more videos of the TressFX hair in action, after I complete the game.

Bokoblin23
4th Mar 2013, 15:57
Interesting... nice to see a video, since I don't have DX11. It looks awesome in screenshots... but a bit weird in video. The floating on shoulders isn't great :hmm: And maybe it's just me but the hair does seem kinda weird to me in the wind too, although I thought the same thing about the non-TressFX hair. Well, as others have said, and I agree, it's certainly a great step forward in the technology for hair in video games. I'll definitely be interested to watch more videos of the TressFX hair in action, after I complete the game.

I prefer the high res non TFX hair. It looks really crisp and acts pretty good too.

TRsy
4th Mar 2013, 17:57
FPS: Average 29 FPS

SPECS: AMD 5850HD, intel i7-3770, 16GB ram DDR3, Windows 8 x64

SETTINGS:
Ultra at 1080p

Ultra also means everything maxed out (as in Ultimate) minus TressFX and Antialiasing.
Hair only has Normal and TressFX options (if I'm not wrong).
And antialiasing has 4 or 5 levels (if I remember well) and Ultra would use the second or third one.

The benchmark also said minimum FPS 1 (freaked me out a bit) and max FPS around 40 (I don't remember exactly). But I played for about 30 minutes and everything played smoothly except the first cutscene (right after the intro trailer where Roth drops Lara in the water). The first cutscene might have droped below 12 FPS for about 5-10 seconds.

But I still haven't encountered anything that posed a threat to FPS (like explosions or other major visual effects)

I tried enabling TressFX or maxing out Antialiasing (either of those making FPS drop below 15) but they didn't make a big difference on my 27' monitor (visually speaking) and I am not a big fan of TressFX (sure TressFX looks great but to be honest I think the normal hair looks more realistic).

Keiichi81
4th Mar 2013, 18:01
I have to agree with the sentiments echoed by a few others here. Now that I've seen the TressFX hair in motion, I think I'll be leaving it off...and would do so even if it wasn't an apparent performance hog. It doesn't look believably like real hair, and it doesn't behave believably like real hair. Barring a few instances where conditions are absolutely perfect, I feel like it would actually hinder immersion more than it enhances it, especially in cases like in the video demonstration where strands of Lara's hair pass right through her neck.

cakefish
4th Mar 2013, 20:23
Beta or newer drivers for the GPU is never a solution, remember that many people play it on Entertainment or Gaming laptops that don't get driver updates from AMD directly and most OEMs don't give a **** about releasing new GPU drivers even for their high end laptops.

WRONG!!! I get all the NVIDIA updates as soon as they release them to desktops. No need for hopeless OEM middlemen - I already have 314.14 drivers :D

Cristiavano
4th Mar 2013, 22:32
OMFg her hair looks amazing in this video...
DiBklQ1XDx4

Sonix
5th Mar 2013, 02:29
Average FPS: 52.7

SPECS: Windows 7 64bit, intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD HD7970 3GB

SETTINGS:
Everything on ultra

with TressFX disabled but everything else on ultra Average FPS: 59.7

_Ninja_
5th Mar 2013, 02:40
i7 2600
ATI 6970 (2 gb)
8 gig ram
win 7 64

Everything that sets on Ultra is on Ultra

- no TressFX
- no tesselation
- FXAA
- 16x anisotropic

45 -60 fps

Martelol
5th Mar 2013, 03:04

It's not a solution that applies to everyone, but for those who have the option of updating their drivers, they can, in certain instances, improve performance significantly. Take a look here: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvidia_driver_performance_summary_review/2#.UTVgdDDiiN0

Lack of driver updates is largely why I never, ever recommend gaming laptops.

Draklawl
5th Mar 2013, 07:06
i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
8gb Ram
GTX 680
Windows 8 64-bit

Ultra Preset minus TressFX and normal shadows

Average: 84Fps

Also, because I think it's hilarious,

Same settings with TressFX enabled

Average: 32fps

Yeah, i'll be leaving that off. Looks ridiculous anyway.

namitokiwa
5th Mar 2013, 07:09
Intel Xenon E3-1230 V2 3.30GHZ 3.30GHZ
16GB RAM
NVIDIA EVGA GTX 660Ti 2gb
Windows 7 ultimate pack 1 64bit

Ultimate settings include Tress FX

Average: 38 Fps.

Without Tress FX

Average: 60 Fps

cakefish
5th Mar 2013, 11:29
It's not a solution that applies to everyone, but for those who have the option of updating their drivers, they can, in certain instances, improve performance significantly. Take a look here: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvidia_driver_performance_summary_review/2#.UTVgdDDiiN0

Lack of driver updates is largely why I never, ever recommend gaming laptops.

All laptops have driver updates! I am running 314.14 right now, officially supported. It's not hard to install drivers! Just download and install from NVIDIA or AMD websites. Exact same procedure as desktops. I don't know where you're getting this false information from but it's wrong! Simples :)

Mike_B
5th Mar 2013, 13:45
Often laptops will have customized drivers and don't allow you to install the standard (or generic) driver when you run the installer. I don't know how it is with nvidia and AMD but with Intel drivers it's possible to install the latest drivers from Intel by downloading the drivers without an installer.

It's possible that it is necessary for users to go through these extra steps if they have an AMD or nvdia card as well but that would depend on the laptop manufacturer and what restrictions they have put in place. As I don't have a game laptop (and I doubt there really is such a thing) I can't check it but from general experience with laptops they make things unnecessary harder for the users for whatever reason.

Seeing as drivers are really important (bluescreens/crashes are mostly caused by faulty or old drivers) it really pisses me of that laptops aside with coming preloaded with useless software don't have up to date drivers.

/rant

Keiichi81
5th Mar 2013, 18:41
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6GHz
PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
NVIDIA 310.70 Drivers

Ultra Settings (TressFX disabled)
Avg: 31.5

Ultimate Settings (TressFX enabled)
Avg: 5.4

I guess I can count my blessings that I'm one of the apparently few people who thinks TressFX hair looks terrible, because I'd never be able to play Tomb Raider with it turned on. For some reason, simply enabling TressFX sucks up 80% of my performance and literally let's you count the frames during much of the benchmark. I know TressFX is supposed to be optimized for AMD cards, but Jesus...

GothamGhost
5th Mar 2013, 18:53
Tressfx and Depth Of Field are the only thing resource hogging.

I put all the rest on the highest and my Gtx 570 averages at 55fps on the benchmark.

Turn Depth Of Field and Tressfx off if you have a mid rage graphics card!

zenbyzen
5th Mar 2013, 20:55
everything ultra
Average FPS: 46.7 without TressFX
Average FPS: 29.7 with TressFX

spec: AMD fx 4170 ; Geforce gtx 560Ti ; 8GB ram ; win 7 pro X64 ; NVIDIA 314.07 Drivers
her hair 10x better without TressFX

Keiichi81
5th Mar 2013, 22:01
Tressfx and Depth Of Field are the only thing resource hogging.

I put all the rest on the highest and my Gtx 570 averages at 55fps on the benchmark.

Turn Depth Of Field and Tressfx off if you have a mid rage graphics card!

Thanks for the tip! TBH I can live without depth of field (it didn't seem to be working quite right anyway...it would cut in and out and was quite distracting) and turning it off bumped my average framerate from 31 to 51.

Bokoblin23
9th Mar 2013, 02:07
Benchmark seems to run better than the game once you hit the *SPOILER*

Scavanger town.

So yeh, 15 -20 fps drop is important to note

LionS7
9th Mar 2013, 02:25
24/7

Windows 7 x64, 314.14.
MSI GTX680 Lightning @1320/7000Mhz
i7-3930K @4500Mhz

Ultimate, TressFX, FXAA, 1920x1080 - 50 averrage

Ultimate, TressFX, SSAAx2, 1920x1080 - 38 averrage

Still waiting for patch and new drivers....:mad2:

DeeJay94044
9th Mar 2013, 22:02
I was a little surprised at the fps that I was getting. I started the game on ultimate, but the frame rate was just too low to be enjoyable. Just switched to high and things look smooth and play well. System is core i5 3750, HD6850, 8 GB ram, at 1280x1080 res. I'm used to playing most games on ultra or max, but I guess Lara's hair is just too much.

BR4DDERS1986
10th Mar 2013, 00:07
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4GHz
ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB @900Mhz
Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600Mhz
NVIDIA Quadro 311.35 Drivers
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

I ran the benchmark 3 times in a row and took a picture of the third results.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3530/ultrapresetpatch107165.jpghttp://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4660/ultrapresetpatch107184.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5480/ultimatepresetpatch1071.jpghttp://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5480/ultimatepresetpatch1071.jpg

The average fps is about the same but the minimum has increased.

Edit: With the 1.0.716.5 patch the minimum fps was always 3fps on the first run using the Ultimate Preset.

The minimum fps for the first run with the 1.0.718.4 path using the Ultimate Preset was consistent with the two following runs.

Bokoblin23
10th Mar 2013, 02:06
I was a little surprised at the fps that I was getting. I started the game on ultimate, but the frame rate was just too low to be enjoyable. Just switched to high and things look smooth and play well. System is core i5 3750, HD6850, 8 GB ram, at 1280x1080 res. I'm used to playing most games on ultra or max, but I guess Lara's hair is just too much.

How far in are you? It gets more intense later on

BR4DDERS1986
10th Mar 2013, 06:20

The game uses you GPU's Direct Compute capabilities for TressFX so it is probably your GPU that is holding you back.

My 580 is more powerful than yours and I lose about 20fps when it is enabled. I get about 30-40 fps on Ultimate at 1080p but the performance hit is o much so I just use Ultra.