PDA

View Full Version : How TR changed your life | Post your stories here!

Driber
1st Mar 2013, 17:24
This thread has been merged from several threads and is now serving as al all-purpose "How TR changed your life" thread to post your stories on what TR means to you and how you view or live your life differently because of one or more of Lara Croft's adventures from the past 18 years.

So feel free to post your own TR stories here, folks. I'll collect links in the first post to any story posted in this thread :)

-----------

How Tomb Raider Saved My Life In One Way Or Another (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1868955&postcount=2) by Draven Miltenberger (original OP)

The Adventure of a Lifetime (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1982471&postcount=30) by Wh1t3Kn1te

Story #3 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2024267&postcount=34) by UncreativeZebra

dmiltenmusic
2nd Mar 2013, 16:42
I don't know how to start something like this, so here it goes.

I grew up playing Tomb Raider. I was only 3 years old when I picked up a PlayStation controller, and my family couldn't pry it out of my hands. In between being thrown back and forth between my aunt's house, mom's house and dad's house. I was constantly playing this game. But I stopped playing it around 2000 to 2004 because dad had taken me from aunt Lori and we moved into his apartment. It was scary, and the abuse began not long after we relocated to Devil's Lake. (Which was sometime in early 2002 or 2003.)

After years of hell with dad, he married my step mom Amber. But he handed the torch to her when he went to Iraq to serve in the National Guard. She was abusive as well, if not more than he was. But it wasn't even a full year with her before one night where she packed my bags, drove me to a runaway shelter, dropping me off. Dad was still in Iraq. He might have not been aware she had done this.

Somehow, I remember a phone number I was told to recite over eight years ago. (I was about eleven when I was in the runaway shelter.) In about two or three weeks, after a bunch of court hearings, I was on a train back to my hometown.

Now fast forward to about almost two years ago...I was in tenth grade.

My dad has managed to stay in my mind throughout the years, and he really dug deep under. I turned into one very very rebellious fourteen/fifteen year old. I didn't really care about anything. I didn't feel the need to. Didn't care about succeeding in school, either...which is why I dropped out in tenth grade. As far as I knew it my life was over.

I then started one of those teenage drinking fazes. I turned into an isolated, depressed machine. Even began thinking of suicide. I even had one of the brief "cutting" stages. That continued until I heard about a new Tomb Raider game being released. I figured, hey I might as well play something I've loved since a little kid before I...well...you know... and I was going to do it too.

But as I started reading the plot points and different articles on Tomb Raider, they were explaining that Lara Croft was being rebooted to where she was young, inexperienced...a completely new person...a real human. It intrigued me on how they were going to start her story over.

That kind of sat in my head, of how someone can start over...completely become a new human being who actually cared about things...cared about surviving.

And when IGN had a live stream of Tomb Raider for an hour and a half, I tuned in. I was beginning to get obsessed. After seeing Lara struggle in the environments, it got me to start thinking about myself. On how life can still begin and still progress even after a traumatic experience has fallen on you.

I watched as Lara committed her first kill. She pulled the trigger, and her emotions overtook her. She just collapsed, starting to cry. But she stood up moments later. She stood up, and with the gun cocked, she continued.

It was then when I realized something. My life can still continue, I can still have a great experience even when I had a bad start with dad. Even when something bad happened, I was still going to progress through this journey called LIFE.

Over the next few weeks after that live stream, I quit drinking. I didn't even WANT to. I didn't feel the need to any more. And regarding school, I'm going to get my GED. I plan on having a career in writing, maybe even get a job at Crystal Dynamics. (That is my ultimate goal.) I plan on getting my music started, I plan on living life...not trying to end it.

So when someone questions my obsession with Tomb Raider, this is why. It saved my life...in one way or another. Lara was the person that I needed most, and she gave me the strength and told me to JUST KEEP MOVING.

and in the words of Crystal Dynamics...

A SURVIVOR IS BORN.

_Ninja_
2nd Mar 2013, 17:13
Wow. Glad you pulled yourself out of that. :thumb:

JapaneseIsland
2nd Mar 2013, 17:23
I'm crying.
Crap.
This is another brilliant story..
It's so emotional.
I'm proud you were able to realize the good in life, and survive what you were going through. Lara Croft is MORE than a character, and Tomb Raider is MORE than a video game. To me, it means too much to put into words atm, but I'm glad others are able to.

pidipidi39
2nd Mar 2013, 17:25
Amazing thread :thumb:
Amazing post.
Amazing story.
Amazing person.
I'm so happy that you shared this story with us... :)

Lalight
2nd Mar 2013, 18:26
TT_TT I'm a loser for emotional stuff....but I am glad that you realized that there's more to life and that one can change for the better. It's like what Lara said : "The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are." And you are an extrordinary person! Thank you for sharing this story with us. :)

Falcon
2nd Mar 2013, 19:04
Wow this is awesome! Thank you for sharing
Really glad that you managed to give your life a new start. Give us an update once in a while, and hey enjoy the game only 2 more days to go! :D

chriss_99
2nd Mar 2013, 19:30
Good job and awesome thread! :D
I've been going through a lot of stuff myself lately ;)
And I have to agree that LC and TR series are something more than just another video game :)

CakeLuv
2nd Mar 2013, 19:41
OMG guys :') that was so beautiful ;3 I think this helped a lot of us realizing that when we have small problems and we just want to give up, there's always someone in a worse situation, but just getting over it as a survivor (D: sorry if I sound... corny :3) You are my inspiration now :'3
And I hope we get to praise you some day in the Developers Team or something of TR lol

Sorry for my english :| I didn't use the translator... so yeah :3

namitokiwa
2nd Mar 2013, 20:10
wow, your story is truly amazing. I hope you could make your dream come true. I'm so happy to see your topic. You are a survivor.

Wh1t3Kn1te
2nd Mar 2013, 23:32
this is absolutely awesome. sorry to hear what you have been through in your life but glad to see you've made it through and are making things better. if more people had your bravery this world would be a stupendous place to live.

i can relate with you in the aspect that Lara saved my life as well, or at least prevented it from ending. i won't share right now though cause i dont want to steal your thunder. Good Job :)

JapaneseIsland
2nd Mar 2013, 23:35
this is absolutely awesome. sorry to hear what you have been through in your life but glad to see you've made it through and are making things better. if more people had your bravery this world would be a stupendous place to live.

i can relate with you in the aspect that Lara saved my life as well, or at least prevented it from ending. i won't share right now though cause i dont want to steal your thunder. Good Job :)

I think a lot of people can relate, including me. :')

branco18
2nd Mar 2013, 23:54
I just want you to remember one thing. Divide your emotional strenght. Evil things came to your life and I don´t want to be as*hole but they will come again. Bad things are like ingame checkpoints, you get there one way or another. Since we all are young, we don´t know if one decision is good or bad and what will it bring later. But one thing is to say, between those checkpoints, it is up to you how you spent your life between it. And belive me, I made a lot of ***** through my time, but I realized I need things to held on to. Find some joy in your life. Live through things that no one can touch or take from you... I hope you will get through everything. In life, you can give your self as many restarts as you can and be whoever you want to be and use your experience as an advantage and as something that gives you strenght. It will help you to get through some small or medium problems and maybe bigger ones to. I wish you good, love and friends.

Rainnewbie
3rd Mar 2013, 00:31
Thankyou for sharing your story. It didn't go to waste dear brother/sister.

ethansk8ter
3rd Mar 2013, 01:33
Wow. I'm very happy for you. Thanks for sharing your story!

AdobeArtist
13th Mar 2013, 04:40
If this doesn't speak of inspiration, I don't know what does. I came across this article on Kotaku, about the impact of a game on one boys life.

The brief summary is, he was introduced to TR very early on, but his life was no playground to enjoy the adventures of Lara. Subjected to torment and abuse by his own parents, he turned to bad habits (drinking among other things) to cope with the nightmare that had become his life.

Then he found out about his favorite game being reborn. And that inspired him, if Lara could cast off the past and start new with a clean slate, so could he with his own scarred life. So he moves on to his future (going back to school), now filled with potential, no longer held back by the ordeals he had to endure.

Like his idol, he is reborn, taking the story and applying it in the real world.

Better yet, read the full article here.

Kotaku Article (http://kotaku.com/5990234/the-new-tomb-raider-saved-this-teenagers-life?utm_source=kotaku.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation&post=58227998)

** also with this thread, my post count has become 2222 - tres epique, non? :)

RybatGrimes
13th Mar 2013, 05:19
I think this comment sums up my thoughts as well-

You know, I'm all about someone finding something that helps give them strength and then building off of it. Taking something like this and making it a positive is fantastic.

However, I would rather hear about the story down the road. Not a week after the game came out. I want to hear about the progress made. No offense meant here, but I'm sure thousands of people get epiphanies and inspiration regardless of how dark their past is or how major or minor the problem is. So you played a game and you were able to take aspects of it, relate it to your life and use it to give you strength. Wonderful. Let's see WHAT you do instead of simply talking about doing it.

In my opinion, and by no means do I mean to be a dick but simply from realistic experience, talk is cheap. Actions prove to be far greater. Should I end up eating my words, great. I'd be glad to see this individual overcome and spring board with that into a good place in their life, but if not I'm not in the least bit surprised. After all, we all find revelations in anything in life, but the actual progress of taking steps to stop addictions and to get the help we need comes from much deeper.

Valenka
13th Mar 2013, 05:24
I think this comment sums up my thoughts as well-

Agreed.

CokneyCharmer
13th Mar 2013, 09:08
only thing that story made me think was "hmmmmmm....interesting timing"

DrCroft
13th Mar 2013, 11:20
I read this last night, I think people who read this should also scroll down the page to read Bleszinski's article on games growing up and bullying, some of the comments on the TR piece is disgusting and no matter what you think there are better ways to express your opinion.

{link removed}

Edit by Driber - I haven't reviewed the link you provided, but if it's disgusting, let's not put any attention to it. Also, let's keep this thread on topic and positive; I'm sure the OP would prefer that :)

Driber
13th Mar 2013, 11:48
Better yet, read the full article here.

Kotaku Article (http://kotaku.com/5990234/the-new-tomb-raider-saved-this-teenagers-life?utm_source=kotaku.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation&post=58227998)

Better yet, read the story from Draven himself; he himself posted this on our forum already a while ago (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1868955#post1868955) ;)

*Threads merged*

Shaikh
13th Mar 2013, 13:17
:worship: :thumb:

Lara Croft is MORE than a character, and Tomb Raider is MORE than a video game.

Yes, Tomb Raider is a life-style.

RoyCroft
13th Mar 2013, 16:42
(To the OP:) Very well done, I am glad that you moved forward and are now having a positive and constructive mindset thanks to Lara Croft.

To the world:

You guys probetly will think I am totally nuts, but I have come to the conclusion that the Lara Croft from this Tomb Raider game is my Goddess. And yes I am seriously talking about religion.

I was raised a catholic and followed that faith for many years until about 5 years ago I became an atheist, completly and only believing in sience. My personal moral code was and still is based on meritocracy as a way of life. But while I was contempt with a world without gods and goddesses, it did not offer much joy and happiness to me, essentially striping meaning from life itself.

Since I started playing the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft has filled for me the that void and emptiness.

I have come to the realisation that there is no god or goddess other then the one that oneself accepts as their god or goddess. And the key to find happiness, satisfaction and meaning in life is to accept a god or goddess that one from all their heart wants to to be their god or goddess.

It does not matter what the source and origin of that god or goddess is, be it a computer game centered around an amazing heroine or 2000 year old stories about a carpenter that walked on water and healed the sick. The only thing that matters is that you willingly want to accept him or her as your god or goddess.

For me that is the Lara Croft of this particular Tomb Raider game, that is my goddess to wich I pray. I am a happy and devout Laracroftian.

(And I mean every single word, this is NOT some stupid joke. People might think I am a crazy fool or nutjob, but thats just what the majority of people thought about the first christians too ;)

AdobeArtist
13th Mar 2013, 18:30
Better yet, read the story from Draven himself; he himself posted this on our forum already a while ago (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1868955#post1868955) ;)

*Threads merged*

I actually thought I posted the article first :o:o

TombRaider4EVERT
14th Mar 2013, 01:47
:eek:

I'm sorry, but can I give you an awkward hug? :friends:

I'm not to good at all the emotional aspects of life, I sometimes wonder if I lack the ability to feel sad. :hmm:

However, I'm glad that you were able to overcome the awful experiences that you were forced to endure.

But that is the past, this is now. What matters is that you are here today, to join in on the fun with fellow members who all accept and care for one another.

Again, welcome.

Here is another awkward hug :friends:

Lord Martok
14th Mar 2013, 03:56
It takes courage to ask for help.
It takes even greater courage to help yourself. You did just that! You found your means, and utilized it to bring you back from the brink. Somehow, congratulations and "well done" just don't seem to be enough. :)

This was another inspiring story, and I agree that this thread should be kept optimistic and compassionate in tone.

RoyCroft, in this ever growing world of Atheism and Humanism, I personally think it takes major cojones to believe in a higher power than yourself, or to believe in a force that somehow has guided you through very tough times. While I could never bring myself to worship Lara as you do, I do believe in a Higher Power (God), and it has seen me through some very tumultuous times.

I have always said though: What is between you and God (or chosen Higher Power) is between you and God (or chosen Higher Power). Let no one judge you for it. :) Let no one say you are an idiot for believing in something beyond yourself and the physical world!

Respectfully to all,
Lord Martok :)

AdobeArtist
14th Mar 2013, 04:16
You should really know how inspiring your story is. When this medium is under relentless criticism as a supposedly negative impact on society, here you are showing what a positive influence can be derived from video games.

So thank you for showing the world what this medium can contribute, and the boundless potential it may yet offer :D :wave:

RoyCroft
14th Mar 2013, 04:30
You should really know how inspiring your story is. When this medium is under relentless criticism as a supposedly negative impact on society, here you are showing what a positive influence can be derived from video games.

So thank you for showing the world what this medium can contribute, and the boundless potential it may yet offer :D :wave:

Man that is so true!

RobbinJaye
14th Mar 2013, 22:11
My daughter was 13 when I got hooked on Tomb Raider 1 on PS1. Ever since then, I waited for each game to come out and even purchased the PS2 and PS3 JUST FOR THAT GAME ONLY.

Now I am 47 and still playing.

LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER. Woot.

Wh1t3Kn1te
10th Feb 2014, 01:39
The Adventure of a Lifetime

first i want to warn you, this might be a bit long, but hopefully it is worth the time reading.

18 years ago, when Tomb raider first came out, I fell in love immediately with the idea of what Lara Croft represents.
Someone who is honest, loyal, intelligent, brave, selfless. these are the qualities I was searching for in someone
i wanted to spend my whole life with. Finding the right person for you in this world is one of the hardest tasks to
do in this life, but like they say, there is a perfect match for you somwhere in the world.

now first I must let you know i was the least deserving of anyone in this world to have my wishes fulfilled. I was into
things that messed my life up, and unfortunately i didnt even realize how bad it was at this time. one of the biggest
problems i had was compulsive lying. i had been doing it my entire life, to the point where i didnt even know the truth
anymore.

fast forward 3 years, when the dreamcast launched, and the online access really intrigued me. at the time i was living
with my grandfather, and i had to convince him to get a seperate phone line for the internet access, i told him i would
pay for it. a month later it finally happened and i was finally on the internet. one of the first things i did was jump
into a chat room to see what is was like. i learned a lot in that first week, i tend to pick up things quickly. about a
week after that i saw a name i have never seen before, Lara Croft. i observed what was being said because i was curious
and after a few days i saw she had made herself the moderator's bouncer. any time someone would say something to her or
anyone else that was against the chat rules, she would inform the entire room what was being said and by whom and a few
seconds later that person would get kicked (and sometimes banned). it was quite a sight to behold.

growing up i was a very shy boy. i never once dated anyone all the way through high school. i talked with a couple girls
but was really uncoftorable. when i observed what this Lara was doing i kept getting this feeling in my soul to talk with
her, just mention SOMETHING to her, so i shyly typed a/s/l in a private message to her. she responded by saying "it's not
polite to ask a woman her age". she had me right there. i found out the reason she spent all her time in the main room was
because she didnt know how to make one of her own. any time someone would talk with her they would be rude to her and say
some sexist thing to her, so she never got anyone to help her. long story short, i helped her make her own chat room, Lara's Mansion,
and taught her how to set it up with privacy, and how to kick and ban people that were being rude.

we ended up talking with each other over the internet for next 6 months, i found out she had all the same traits Lara Croft
has to my pleasant surprise, and then we decided we wanted to go further.
we told each other some personal info, like where we lived, our phone numbers so we could call each other, and thats when
i found out just how far apart we were. at the time lived in Arizona, and she lived in Ohio. for the next few months we called
each other and got to know even more about each other. one day she suggested i come out to see her, (she couldnt come to me
because she owned her own business at the time breeding and selling exotic animals). i had some money saved up, but not nearly
enough to visit for more than a few days, but when my grandfather found out what i wanted to do he gave me enough to stay
for 2 weeks. we decided the best time to do it was the day after Christmas. so i got on a bus on the 24th and spent all of
christmas day on the journey of a lifetime. (this was a HUGE thing for me to do, seeing how i was soo shy as a kid).

that was the best 2 weeks of my life at that point in time, i never wanted to go back to Arizona, but i had a job and had to.
after i got back to Arizona i did something stupid which i still regret to this day. i lied to her, and not just a little whie
lie, and i did it repeatedly. I hurt her so much and didnt realize how much until she called me in tears to work it out.
i saw the error of my way and on that day promised to kick this habitual lying and no longer say another decieving thing.
(I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement but its the truth, i could not have kicked this habit without GOd's help).
at first it was very difficult because i was so set in my ways, but she helped keep me honest and we took baby steps to get the
trust back. during that rebuilding we both realized we were perfect for each other, and that's when she decided to come visit me.
she got someone to watch her animals for her, and she flew to Arizona to visit me. I surprised her when i proposed to her on
her birthday, and obviously she said yes. (is it odd to marry the first person you date? lol)

during the next 4 months we discussed timing and planning and trying to get everything set in place, then i moved to Ohio in august,
got a job there, and ended up marrying her in october. normally the first year of marriage is supposed to be the "honeymoon"
phase of the marriage, but for us it was one of the worst years of our marriage. death's in both of our families, illness, adjustemnts
to change, all this stressed our marriage, but we made vows and we both supported each other no matter how difficult it was.
because of this our relationship is stronger than steel, and i truly believe nothing will ever break us apart, excpt death, and even
then its only temprorary. thank you for reading and i hope this story inspires you and helps you believe that anything is possible.

TranceTrouble
10th Feb 2014, 10:01
The Adventure of a Lifetime

first i want to warn you, this might be a bit long, but hopefully it is worth the time reading.

18 years ago, when Tomb raider first came out, I fell in love immediately with the idea of what Lara Croft represents.
Someone who is honest, loyal, intelligent, brave, selfless. these are the qualities I was searching for in someone
i wanted to spend my whole life with. Finding the right person for you in this world is one of the hardest tasks to
do in this life, but like they say, there is a perfect match for you somwhere in the world.

now first I must let you know i was the least deserving of anyone in this world to have my wishes fulfilled. I was into
things that messed my life up, and unfortunately i didnt even realize how bad it was at this time. one of the biggest
problems i had was compulsive lying. i had been doing it my entire life, to the point where i didnt even know the truth
anymore.

fast forward 3 years, when the dreamcast launched, and the online access really intrigued me. at the time i was living
with my grandfather, and i had to convince him to get a seperate phone line for the internet access, i told him i would
pay for it. a month later it finally happened and i was finally on the internet. one of the first things i did was jump
into a chat room to see what is was like. i learned a lot in that first week, i tend to pick up things quickly. about a
week after that i saw a name i have never seen before, Lara Croft. i observed what was being said because i was curious
and after a few days i saw she had made herself the moderator's bouncer. any time someone would say something to her or
anyone else that was against the chat rules, she would inform the entire room what was being said and by whom and a few
seconds later that person would get kicked (and sometimes banned). it was quite a sight to behold.

growing up i was a very shy boy. i never once dated anyone all the way through high school. i talked with a couple girls
but was really uncoftorable. when i observed what this Lara was doing i kept getting this feeling in my soul to talk with
her, just mention SOMETHING to her, so i shyly typed a/s/l in a private message to her. she responded by saying "it's not
polite to ask a woman her age". she had me right there. i found out the reason she spent all her time in the main room was
because she didnt know how to make one of her own. any time someone would talk with her they would be rude to her and say
some sexist thing to her, so she never got anyone to help her. long story short, i helped her make her own chat room, Lara's Mansion,
and taught her how to set it up with privacy, and how to kick and ban people that were being rude.

we ended up talking with each other over the internet for next 6 months, i found out she had all the same traits Lara Croft
has to my pleasant surprise, and then we decided we wanted to go further.
we told each other some personal info, like where we lived, our phone numbers so we could call each other, and thats when
i found out just how far apart we were. at the time lived in Arizona, and she lived in Ohio. for the next few months we called
each other and got to know even more about each other. one day she suggested i come out to see her, (she couldnt come to me
because she owned her own business at the time breeding and selling exotic animals). i had some money saved up, but not nearly
enough to visit for more than a few days, but when my grandfather found out what i wanted to do he gave me enough to stay
for 2 weeks. we decided the best time to do it was the day after Christmas. so i got on a bus on the 24th and spent all of
christmas day on the journey of a lifetime. (this was a HUGE thing for me to do, seeing how i was soo shy as a kid).

that was the best 2 weeks of my life at that point in time, i never wanted to go back to Arizona, but i had a job and had to.
after i got back to Arizona i did something stupid which i still regret to this day. i lied to her, and not just a little whie
lie, and i did it repeatedly. I hurt her so much and didnt realize how much until she called me in tears to work it out.
i saw the error of my way and on that day promised to kick this habitual lying and no longer say another decieving thing.
(I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement but its the truth, i could not have kicked this habit without GOd's help).
at first it was very difficult because i was so set in my ways, but she helped keep me honest and we took baby steps to get the
trust back. during that rebuilding we both realized we were perfect for each other, and that's when she decided to come visit me.
she got someone to watch her animals for her, and she flew to Arizona to visit me. I surprised her when i proposed to her on
her birthday, and obviously she said yes. (is it odd to marry the first person you date? lol)

during the next 4 months we discussed timing and planning and trying to get everything set in place, then i moved to Ohio in august,
got a job there, and ended up marrying her in october. normally the first year of marriage is supposed to be the "honeymoon"
phase of the marriage, but for us it was one of the worst years of our marriage. death's in both of our families, illness, adjustemnts
to change, all this stressed our marriage, but we made vows and we both supported each other no matter how difficult it was.
because of this our relationship is stronger than steel, and i truly believe nothing will ever break us apart, excpt death, and even
then its only temprorary. thank you for reading and i hope this story inspires you and helps you believe that anything is possible.

wowh great story man, that is really something you two have build up over a long distance relationship :thumb:
thanks for sharing :)

Driber
10th Feb 2014, 16:55
Wonderful! So awesome to hear that Lara brings so many people together.

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, Matt :)

Driber
23rd Jun 2014, 21:04
I'm curious if we have any new members that have amazing life stories involving TR or Lara...

:)

UncreativeZebra
5th Jul 2014, 00:00
I never really post on forums, so bear with me please!

Instead of giving some elaborate life story, I'll try my best to keep it short and simple (No one likes reading walls of text, at least I think so).

Okay, so let's start: I'm nearly 16 and struggle badly with self-harm. Perhaps you'll just label me as another troubled adolescent with extreme levels of angst. But anyway, I've been struggling with it since I was about 11 years old.

The harder I try to quit, the more the urge grows to self-harm. Basically, I'm digging myself deeper and deeper. Perpetually waiting for someone or something to save me from myself.

But I realized: Sometimes the only person that can save us is ourselves. Lara had help along her journey from her friends, but ultimately, it was her who saved herself from all the dangers she had to face. That's what I had to do. What I still continue to do. Trying my best is battle off my own demons.

I then gathered the will to survive and live. Better my life. The older Lara inspired me to join gymnastics, so I did. I've been doing it for about 10 months. All my fellow gymnasts are my best friends. My gymnastics coach is like the father I never had. I am facing my fears all the time.

I've learned how to control my urges to want to self-harm. If I get to the point of wanting to do it: I just remember how far I've come. How ridiculous it would be to give my progress all up. I'm not giving up.

My life has only significantly got better since I played the latest TR(2013) game. I'm going to a psychiatrist soon, so the newest TR reveal trailer has really reassured me that it's okay to receive help from professionals.

In the end, TR(2013) has made me not want to kill myself anymore. All I want to do is live now... Because I'm a survivor.

---------------------
By the way, if anyone is wondering, I'm a male. However, I was still taught female gymnastics. Mainly because they don't have all the male equipment. But I prefer being able to do the stuff Lara does. Not that I can do all her skills, but you get the point hopefully.

Rather not get into this, but I do enjoy telling my story about how Lara changed my life... I had a fail suicide attempt in the past.

The TR(2013) trailer really defines how I felt at that time and brought me out of my depression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhPqoKV6Lw

Happy 4th! <3

Chocolate_shake
5th Jul 2014, 06:36
Nothing life changing from my side but Lara/TR has been a constant presence in my life for a long time .

I loved old lara in TR 4 and I started reading a lot about Egyptian history because of that game . My passion for history still continues today thanks to Lara . I also remember being very sad when Lara "died" in the end of TR4 .

The latest TR has has resonated with me in a much deeper level. Earlier I used to simply admire Lara from a distance . But now I feel I can be her . Her fear , the insistence to deal with the situation at hand despite that fear really resonated with me .

I had an important presentation to give recently and I was very nervous . So after setting up the projector , I changed the desktop background to a render of reboot lara and my fear vanished ( cliche but true ) . I even told my audience proudly that she is Lara Croft , who really inspires me :o

Tihocan
5th Jul 2014, 08:41
I don't have a life story to share - the ones above are moving - but I am known as "the guy who really likes Tomb Raider" among my peers.
Especially when I had the TR2013 trailer periodically playing on the 42" PAS display in my office between the announcements and product stats :D

Driber
5th Jul 2014, 09:28
Very nice story, UncreativeZebra. Thanks for sharing :)

What exactly do you mean by "possible trigger warning", though? :scratch:

And if you could give your story a title, what would it be?

BeastCallisto
18th Aug 2014, 00:25
Its not really one thing in my life that Lara changed through one epiphany. Buts its a whole bunch of things that playing the old titles taught me.
For example:
Wandering through those vast early levels taught me that being alone isn't half bad. In fact I enjoy being a loner and don't need to get constant approval. Old Lara never was in because of approval.
Architecture and antiques are cool. To this day, when I take a vacation I can simply walk through a town and just take the views in. Lara taught me a sense of wonder very few people seem to share. Even as a kid I could enjoy trips to a museum.
Travelling is fun. And even as a woman I can travel ALONE. I don't need to be afraid, I just have to take care of myself.
If Lara can win against those wolfs and tigers despite her frail looks, what should I be afraid of. Lara taught me to fight back if someone were to intimidate me. I can say No.
I can dress like I feel without needing to dress for other people. Laras wore those hotpants because she felt like it. There was no man that she had to impress. She taught me to dress more for the occasion and the weather but not for other people.
Lara also taught me that sports are good and fun.
Also its cool to know other languages. Granted, I still only know two languages well. But thats okay.

Thats all old Lara btw. New Lara.... well new Lara taught me, that even when you're in a weaker position you have to take your idea and plans to your team mates and team leader when you believe in it.

Elliot Kane
18th Aug 2014, 01:17
I can't say my story is amazing, and to be honest it probably isn't even all that interesting, but there is a reason why I have such fond memories of Lara, over and above most other game characters.

More years ago than i care to count, I'd just got my first computer and hadn't actually intended to use it except for letter writing, e-mail and other general use stuff. Obviously, I knew the uses of the internet (Such as they were, then!), but I didn't really think gaming would suit me all that well.

Nonetheless, a friend of mine convinced me to try a game - the original Dungeon Keeper. It's a fantastic game, and I was utterly hooked. After returning it to him, I went out to get my own copy and walked into the strange and totally unfamiliar environment that was a games shop.

I found Dungeon Keeper pretty easily, but it then occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, it might be worth trying something else...

Of course, with all the bright boxes and bizarre names, I was lost in moments. I had no idea whatsoever what I was looking for, what would appeal to me or what anything actually was.

Then I saw one name I recognised: Tomb Raider. The only thing that I could positively identify, and thus the game I bought to help me decide if Dungeon Keeper had been a one off fluke, or if gaming really would suit me better than I had ever imagined.

I'm not sure it really counts as transformative, but I'm fairly sure if Tomb Raider was not as good a game as it is, I would not be the avid gamer I am today.

The original Tomb Raider showed me things I did not think games were capable of and Lara herself hooked me for life.

I've been a fan ever since :)

Driber
18th Aug 2014, 20:28
Those were wonderful entries. Thanks for sharing, BeastCallisto and Elliot Kane :thumb:

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 22:53
Ditto @ Driber's post. Great posts.

Lara hasn't really affected my life in such a way that it's helped me overcome obstacles, but she's always in my heart <3 Crazy ***** will never be able to kill my hook on her.

Lara Croft is LOVE, Lara Croft is LIFE!

ARaider
18th Aug 2014, 23:20
Ditto @ Driber's post. Great posts.

Lara hasn't really affected my life in such a way that it's helped me overcome obstacles, but she's always in my heart <3 Crazy ***** will never be able to kill my hook on her.

Lara Croft is LOVE, Lara Croft is LIFE!

Oh we should make a new religion! Laraism! Praise Lara The Almighty!:worship::worship:
Lara did affect my life, but I don't feel into telling it now. Another time, but not now.:p

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 23:27
I read that as Lanaism (that's what Lana Del Rey fans use). It's too similar. We need something FRESH. But I agree. Lara Croft's autobiography is my BIBLE. :worship:

Looking forward to your exclusive TELL ALL interview with the forums about your lessons from Lara. You betta make Lara proud. :')

ARaider
18th Aug 2014, 23:48
I read that as Lanaism (that's what Lana Del Rey fans use). It's too similar. We need something FRESH. But I agree. Lara Croft's autobiography is my BIBLE. :worship:

Looking forward to your exclusive TELL ALL interview with the forums about your lessons from Lara. You betta make Lara proud. :')
Ah damn... I'm thinking right now about a good name!
It sure make Lara proud. I'm not old, but I have experienced enough for a 70 years old person.:D A lot of them are not happy things though.

hmmm... I've got some ideas.

1. Croftism
2. Loftism (it's a weird combination of Lara and Croft:lol:)
3. Larainity/Laranity/Larinity

They sound really weird.:lol: