PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Patch 1.01

Shaikh
1st Mar 2013, 09:35
Tomb Raider Patch 1.01 Available Now
http://www.gamepur.com/files/images/2012/tomb-raider.jpg

Crystal Dynamics has released Tomb Raider patch 1.01 ahead of game's launch next week. The patch weighs 53MB in size, and will be available for download as soon as you first start Tomb Raider (if your console is connected to internet).

No details at present as to what the patch fix, but according to reports, Tomb Raider patch 1.01 makes final adjustments to the game to ensure optimal gameplay experience.

Tomb Raider is schedule to launch on March 5.

Source (http://www.gamepur.com/news/10528-tomb-raider-patch-101-available-now.html)

Already! :whistle:

oldboy2003
1st Mar 2013, 09:36
I dont even mind, i dont see how this is a bad thing (if anyone thinks it is)

Harbinger
1st Mar 2013, 09:42
Nothing wrong with a Day 1 patch. Given how connected we all are to the internet, I think it's fine to push a patch out ahead of release. As long as the game is working on launch day, I've nothing bad to say about this.

That said, I would be very interested in seeing the patch notes, just to see what kind of things were fixed/optimised.

Rider
1st Mar 2013, 10:04
Actually this is good news, i am glad that they are fixing what has to be fixed and i hope that they continue doing that!

Tecstar70
1st Mar 2013, 10:07
I think is is great to know a company still pays attention to its product!

chriss_99
1st Mar 2013, 10:55
My games arrives on Monday so I wonder if the patch will be available before March 5th :scratch:

Lantea
1st Mar 2013, 11:06
A bit troubling that they already found bugs, but really refreshing to see that they are actually testing the game before launch unlike Ubisoft and others who just leave the beta testing on PC customers.
Its great to see that the developer and publisher really care that their game is perfect when people start to play it on the 5th.

The_Hylden
1st Mar 2013, 12:02
Most games released have bugs. What's troubling are the ones that release without them fixed. Releasing a patch ahead of the launch date means they're trying to make sure it gets to you working, as opposed to a Skyrim-type deal.

Most games released these days also make you wait a month, or months, to get a PC version. I applaud them for making sure all releases are on time, and that no one platform has precedent over the other.

Shaikh
1st Mar 2013, 13:19
^ Can you confirm if its available for PC aka on Steam at or before launch?

Metalrocks
1st Mar 2013, 14:31

you will see it after you installed the game. steam always installs other stuff before you can finally play the game.

just*raidin*tomb
1st Mar 2013, 14:51
Very good to know that they're getting it out before launch! I'm sure its all those last minute minor things that they just didn't have time to fix before sending it off.

Weemanply109
1st Mar 2013, 17:38
This shows they're ON TOP of things, this is excellent. I hope CD are snappy if anything else major needs fixed, etc.

Hoping for good support on PC too!

Driber
1st Mar 2013, 17:50

AFAIK this a Title Update, not a patch.

In other words - console only.

Weemanply109
1st Mar 2013, 17:53
AFAIK this a Title Update, not a patch.

In other words - console only.

I've never understood the difference.

Driber
1st Mar 2013, 17:54
^ When it's for PC, it's usually called a "patch". When it's for PS3 and/or 360, it's called a "Title Update".

logan23
1st Mar 2013, 18:01
I expected a Day1 Patch. It's actually a good sign Because they actually want to make the product better verse another company might just let any remaining small bugs to be present.

Tecstar70
1st Mar 2013, 19:58
I expected a Day1 Patch. It's actually a good sign Because they actually want to make the product better verse another company might just let any remaining small bugs to be present.

Particularly as it reportedly costs $40,000 to submit a patch to MS!

logan23
1st Mar 2013, 20:42

Yea...MS charges like this is why MMOs don't get onto the Xbox360.

larafan25
1st Mar 2013, 22:14

Holy poop wat. Why does it cost money, wat.

Tecstar70
1st Mar 2013, 23:38
Holy poop wat. Why does it cost money, wat.

There's a good article here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120721/18262519786/charging-40000-to-issue-patch-makes-games-better-microsoft.shtml

Lantea
2nd Mar 2013, 03:36

Thats just stupid to charge that much for a patch.

Raphamon
2nd Mar 2013, 06:22
You've got to be joking? A patch already? Why must game developers/publishers insist on releasing unfinished products with this generation of gaming? You never saw nonsense like this happening in the days of the PlayStation 2. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a single game on PS3/Xbox 360 that isn't riddled with bugs. :mad2:

Reasons why gaming is dying (day 1 patches is one of them):
http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-trends-that-are-killing-video-games.php

Relight-TRHQ
2nd Mar 2013, 07:38
There's a good article here:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120721/18262519786/charging-40000-to-issue-patch-makes-games-better-microsoft.shtml

Thats just stupid to charge that much for a patch.
:eek: I agree. Why punish developers who want to improve issues with their game to make a better experience for fans? There are better ways to encourage developers to spend more time fixing bugs before launching their game. This doesn't punish developers (well, OK, yes it does), even if developers need to get their game together a bit more, the people it's really punishing are the fans, who don't deserve it. Yes, there could be more prevention of needing patches in the first place, but given the existing situation that games need patching... don't turn it into a situation where the people getting hurt are the fans.

You've got to be joking? A patch already? Why must game developers/publishers insist on releasing unfinished products with this generation of gaming?
I can't think of a company that is worse than Bethesda for "releasing unfinished products" in your words. If Bethesda actually created significant patches for their games, it would be :thumb: for them. But they leave it to fans. Fans who patch thousands upon thousands of actual, real bugs, who document the actual causes of the bugs and what the mistakes are that were made by the developers and how those mistakes were then fixed. My intent is not to slander Bethesda, simply to state that their games ship with a lot of bugs, which is a documented fact.

Anyone compared to Bethesda, really, the amount of bugs is not that big a deal to me. We saw how hard Crystal was working right down to the wire to polish the game and fix as many issues as possible in "The Final Hours" videos. And they certainly did not push an unfinished product to the market, in my opinion. They delayed the release to deliver a better product. Frankly I'm happy that they're still working hard on the game, they're not just kicking it out the door and then moving on to the next thing. They're continuing to work to make the game experience the best it can be in a timely fashion, and if that means a Day 1 patch, then good for them.

Some games you rarely see patches or it takes them forever to release one. This situation is much better.

It is a trend and some do abuse it. When you used to buy a game in the days of pre-internet and early internet gaming, you couldn't patch it, or even if you could, you did not have the instant and global reach to update everyone's games that you have today. It was via diskette or BBS in the computer game industry. Games had to be perfect or next to perfect when you released them. So because you now have this ability to patch games much easier than you used to... it can be abused.

But you have to take the complete picture in any situation. From everything we've seen of Tomb Raider, this is a team dedicated to the quality of the game in everything they do. It's not fair to see "Day 1 Patch" and cry wolf that the developers are lazy, that the game is riddled with bugs, or anything else along those lines.

Martelol
2nd Mar 2013, 07:40
You've got to be joking? A patch already? Why must game developers/publishers insist on releasing unfinished products with this generation of gaming? You never saw nonsense like this happening in the days of the PlayStation 2. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a single game on PS3/Xbox 360 that isn't riddled with bugs. :mad2:

Reasons why gaming is dying (day 1 patches is one of them):
http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-trends-that-are-killing-video-games.php

1) Games are significantly more complex now than they were in the PS2 days. Every little thing the new hardware allows developers to add, adds complexity to the codebase. There is no such thing as bug-free software when you're dealing with this level of complexity. While some companies certainly are guilty of releasing games with very large, obvious bugs, a lot of it simply comes with the territory.

2) You didn't see patches for PS2 games (and earlier) because developers couldn't patch them. There was no combination of large internal storage and online service to allow developers to issue patches. You can be sure that developers would have released patches if it was possible to do so. Take a look at PC games - even very early ones received patches. It wasn't because they were buggy piles of crap, but because the ability to patch them existed, and there's absolutely no way of catching every bug during development. Users will play and break games in ways that no amount of internal testing can predict.

Driber
2nd Mar 2013, 09:43

1) PS2s weren't connected to the internet as much as PS3s are by far. IIRC, you even had to buy a piece of separate hardware to connect the PS2 to the web. Doing post-release patching on PS2 would not have been extremely unpractical.

2) PC counterparts of PS2 games received bucket loads of patches :whistle:

Rider
2nd Mar 2013, 10:36
This is why we need Updates:

Edit by TT: spoiler contains a bug

A8p-CaBjnsE

:lol:

chriss_99
2nd Mar 2013, 21:38
How come reviewers never had these issues? :scratch:
If it was serious, I bet the they'd notice that.

Metalrocks
3rd Mar 2013, 02:52
lol
i hope it will not be the case for the pc version. if so then steam will upload the patch asap. if CD of course made a patch for the pc version.

TranceTrouble
3rd Mar 2013, 09:21
never had this before :scratch: