PDA

View Full Version : GPU requirements for new TressFX tech?

Shaikh
26th Feb 2013, 10:14
AMD recently debuts its TressFX technology and the first game that received the technology is none other than Tomb Raider. :D There is discussion about this in this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133516).

Now I opened this thread to ask some questions about this technology. Hopefully some Nixxes guys will be answering them. Would be appreciated from others answer as well. I think everyone can ask questions about this technology in this thread as well. :)

So here are some of my questions:

I have a 'Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR3' GPU. Does anyone can confirm whether my GPU can run this feature or not?

Is this technology software based? Can I download the software so that it can work on my GPU?

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
26th Feb 2013, 10:32
Good questions.
I'm also wondering if my card is powerful enough to handle all the calculations at decent framerates.

By the way, a video showing this technology in action would be greatly appreciated.

Lantea
26th Feb 2013, 11:40
Same question here about my Radeon HD 6770m.

Martelol
26th Feb 2013, 11:44
This post is based largely on the assumption that TressFX is not AMD specific, and that even if it is AMD specific, that it's not 7000-series specific.
(Update: AMD confirmed it will work on any DX11 card)

If you just want to know what I think will be able to handle the feature: Radeon 7800/7900 series, Geforce 670/680 (and/or perhaps 570/580, read on for details).

Radeon 5000 and 6000 series cards are DX11, so this should run on them (albeit not very well, I imagine). In fact, although it's a feature introduced in DX11, DX10 cards do, in fact, support the feature it relies on (DirectCompute). Whether or not TressFX will run on DX10 cards has yet to be seen - performance would certainly be poor if it does though.

Now, getting technical...

TressFX relies heavily on a DX11 feature called DirectCompute. There's another standard called OpenCL which is not specific to DirectX, which I imagine TressFX will eventually be ported to, as relying on DirectCompute means the TressFX library will not run on non-Microsoft platforms or games that use OpenGL on Windows.

DirectCompute and OpenCL are developer-friendly APIs for general-purpose computing on GPUs (GPGPU). GPUs are great at doing massively parallel calculations, and calculating physics for hundreds or thousands of hair strands certainly falls under the umbrella of massively-parallel operations.

Now, not every card/product line has equal GPGPU performance. The Radeon 5000 and 6000 series are, to put it bluntly, pretty mediocre at most GPGPU stuff. Improving that was a big goal with the 7000 series, and they have great general compute performance as a result. The 7900 series and 7800 series are pretty close in compute performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can handle the feature with decent performance. The 7700 series is iffy - they have decent compute performance, but their overall performance may just be too low to handle it.

General compute performance on Nvidia cards has gone the other way - they put heavy emphasis on it in the 500 series, and de-emphasized it in the 600 series in favor of better game performance. This may very well run better on 500 series cards, but it could also be that the 600 series' superior performance in other areas makes up for it.

The Nixxes rep hinted that this feature would have a significant performance impact, so my assumptions above assume that this is going to be limited to high-end cards - Radeon 7800/7900 and GeForce 670/680 (and/or 570/580). For all I know, though, this could even be something that requires two high-end GPUs to handle. Until the game is released or a developer chimes in, there's no way of being certain.

Rider
26th Feb 2013, 12:09
No one can answer 100% correct. Just wait 6 more days.
I am sure that it will work on every DX11 card but it could be very power hungry, bud it doesn't have to be that way! Maybe it's not to much. Maybe it will take away just few fps, we still don't know.

Metalrocks
26th Feb 2013, 12:11
thats what i think as well. even when i dont fully understand the programming of this tessfx and dx11, i clearly understood that they pulled out every last bid of the engine for the pc with the today available hardware.
and to get the full performance, you must have the latest graphic card in your pc to enjoy the full details.

as you said, the latest models would be bale to pull it of wile the older once might have some lack of details.

cakefish
26th Feb 2013, 21:16
I have a DX11 GPU, the GT 650M. If I sacrifice other demanding effects (such as shadows etc), would I be able to enable this new feature without significant slowdowns in framerate at my native resolution of 1366x768?

Thanks

Rider
26th Feb 2013, 21:23
No one can tell you for sure.
We are still waiting for the game.

cakefish
26th Feb 2013, 21:27
Awww I was hoping a Crystal Dynamic/Nixxes tech guy could answer... or do they not look at these forums? Do they have their own forums? Thanks

Relight-TRHQ
26th Feb 2013, 21:34
Martelol has been posting helpful information in this tech forum, so he may have some educated guesses for you once he sees your post.

As for official support, I'm not promising anyone will reply, but Nixxes will be around :)

We do have someone read these forums and as we get closer to release and also after release we will try to answer questions and help people with issues

Rider
26th Feb 2013, 21:36
Well we had Q&A with Nixxes yesterday but he couldn't talk about that.
On AMD blog 7000 series is said to be good enough for TressFX i have 6850 and i still hope that i will be able to turn it on.

First your graphic is Nvidia. This feature should be better optimized for AMD cards. But you should be able to run it on medium/high with TressFX i guess:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

Martelol
26th Feb 2013, 21:43
It's really going to depend on how demanding it is, which is something we don't know for sure yet. Nixxes made it sound like it's quite demanding, though.

The thing is, physics calculations are going to be what TressFX needs a lot of, so having a lower resolution isn't likely to help performance much as far as hair is concerned.

I'm just going off the impression that Nixxes gave that this would be very demanding, though, and there's no way of knowing what the performance impact will be like before launch if we get no official information on it. Barring official word, I have four video cards of varying generations and capability that I can run some quick benchmarks on when the game is released. I know it doesn't help people who have pre-ordered, but it's really all I can do.

jaywalker2309
26th Feb 2013, 22:36
I have a DX11 GPU, the GT 650M. If I sacrifice other demanding effects (such as shadows etc), would I be able to enable this new feature without significant slowdowns in framerate at my native resolution of 1366x768?

Thanks

You will be able to `enable` the feature i THINK on that chipset, however yes you may have to sacrifice a few other options to keep it running at a decent framerate (mobile chipsets not always the best performers)

Rider
26th Feb 2013, 22:41
You will be able to `enable` the feature i THINK on that chipset, however yes you may have to sacrifice a few other options to keep it running at a decent framerate (mobile chipsets not always the best performers)

Can you please tell me what options we have?
And how many frame rates does TressFX take? Please.

cakefish
26th Feb 2013, 23:54
Thanks everyone for your thougts. I know we can't know for sure yet but it's just nice to know if I likely could as I've already preordered :)

Thanks. It's comparable to the desktop GT 640, just to clarify. I don't suppose if you know if the option is just a simple toggle enable/disable or if there are different levels of 'enabled' so low/medium/high for example? I'm thinking like what NVIDIA did in Borderlands 2.

Bokoblin23
27th Feb 2013, 13:10
I have an HD6850 I hope it will run also!

_Ninja_
27th Feb 2013, 14:20
I have a 6970 (2 gigs vram). I hope I can run it.

Morosi
27th Feb 2013, 15:18
well as I have a radeon HD 5850 still, this forced me to get a GPU upgrade. In other games my performance has been struggling on ultra settings anyway, so this makes a good excuse as any to upgrade my card. I will get a 7950.

namitokiwa
27th Feb 2013, 17:32

What about my PC:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.30GHZ, RAM 16GB, Nvidia EVGA Geforce 660 Ti?
Can I still play the highest option with that feature? :(