PDA

View Full Version : The Vast Number of Ingame Emails - Is there an archive or collection of them online?

Erastosthenes
26th Feb 2013, 04:25
Hi everyone!

I just finished the game, and I can wholeheartedly say the experience was absolutely fantastic.

I could go into a long tangent lauding its virtues, but I will keep my post to the point.

I found that the staggering number of email messages in the game added a depth to the world's characters I have never found in a video game.
Beyond cutscenes, beyond dialogue trees, reading highly character-driven and believable emails to the world made it all the more deep of a storytelling experience.

I would very much value having a database or archive online, where I could read all of the game's emails at my leisure and use them to recall and analyse the many complex series of relationships which are going on behind the surface of the main story.

I have searched for such a reservoir of the ingame emails, but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone else has found such a thing?

If not, do you guys/gals think that Eidos would be forthcoming with releasing the game's emails transcripts?
Perhaps, I should start an Email Category on the Deus Ex Wikia?

Thanks for your input.

Recently, we have come to understand that -- with neuromodulation of the immune system through the release of neurotransmitters in the brain -- we can decrease systemic inflammation, speed healing, and in fact, control the cycles of immune function. This has led to an increase in our understanding of thinking of the immune system as a rechargeable battery. (Hugh Darrow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011)

ZakKa89
26th Feb 2013, 09:13
If they were available online, why would anybody buy the game? :p I know I pre-ordered to hack pc's and read e-mails.

JCpies
26th Feb 2013, 13:34
It's a big undertaking, but I believe in you!

Erastosthenes
26th Feb 2013, 19:14
If they were available online, why would anybody buy the game? I know I pre-ordered to hack pc's and read e-mails.

All the game's Ebooks are available to read on the Deus Ex Wikia and made for some very interesting background reading during the game's loading screens.

I think having the emails available to read online would be a nice addition to the material available for fan's research online.

It's a big undertaking, but I believe in you!

Thank you JCPie.

I had hoped that some other fan had at least started the project.

I guess I'll get the ball rolling myself then.
I'll contact the Wikia's Admins and see about getting started.

If anybody else knows of a place to find the game's emails online, I'd appreciate the assist.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Feb 2013, 00:43
If anybody else knows of a place to find the game's emails online, I'd appreciate the assist.

Why not shoot a PM to Adam, our Community Manager. He may be able to help you. :)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=172075

Jerion
1st Mar 2013, 18:33
I'm looking forward to see this completed. There's so much world-building material to go through, it's gotta be a major task to collect all of it.

joebarnin
1st Mar 2013, 23:49
Here's what I've figured out so far. Download these tools: http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex-3/downloads/gibbeds-deus-ex-hr-tools. In your DXHR installation, find the file "bigfile_English.000". From the gibbeds tools, use Gibbed.DeusEx3.Unpack.exe to unpack big_English.000. This will create a ton of files in a subfolder - most are audio files I think. But \FFFFFD61\pc-w\local\locals.bin contains a bunch of text, including the emails. I have no idea how it is laid out - you'll probably need to write a script to extract it all in a user-readable way.

I may look at it further when I have time, but I don't know when that will be.

Jeff

Severine
2nd Mar 2013, 10:08
Hi guys,

I'm just a lurker here, but I saw this thread and I thought this might be relevant to you.

http://pds21.egloos.com/pds/201108/27/98/english.txt

I found this on the web not too long ago; contains all (?) text in the game, including dialogue and the mails. Not very organized, but so far I found everything I was looking for, even stuff I never heard/read in the game, such as Radford talking about his robodog Sparky (that might just be me still missing content in the game, though).

When I was a kid, my parents... wouldn't let us have a dog. But I had this... one of those robo-ones. Could see and follow you, sort of, with its infrared... eyes. And it could bark, even wagged its tail when it heard its... name. I think I called it Sparky...
One day, I must have been... five... six... I'd been outside... all day, playing with Sparky. My Ma, she calls me... calls me in for dinner. So I go runnin... leavin that dog--that robot, with the rest of my toys... never thinking... of bringing it with me.
Now it's late, and I'm already in--bed... when I see the lightning... Bad storm. Hits the house like some--kinda monster, and I-- I think of my dog... out there. But I'm just too scared to get out of bed... to go out there... go get him.
The next morning... I find him right where I left him. And he see's me--with those big red eyes. Starts waggin' his tail an barkin'... but it's all off. I can hear his gears movin' but nothing else... I got so mad... I started hitting him with a rock, screamin'... When it was over... when it was done--
It was just rain... just a storm. A real dog... he woulda been ok. A real dog... doesn't rust. I ain't gonna rust, Jensen. I ain't gonna go like that. It ain't natural.

Anyway, have fun!

Erastosthenes
2nd Mar 2013, 20:56
Why not shoot a PM to Adam, our Community Manager. He may be able to help you.

I just sent a PM to Adam.

Thanks Viktoria.

I'm looking forward to see this completed. There's so much world-building material to go through, it's gotta be a major task to collect all of it.

Me too Jerion.

I will only have a few hours of time on the weekends, but I'll plug away at it.
Maybe once the ball is rolling more people will jump on.

Here's what I've figured out so far. Download these tools: http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex-3...us-ex-hr-tools. In your DXHR installation, find the file "bigfile_English.000". From the gibbeds tools, use Gibbed.DeusEx3.Unpack.exe to unpack big_English.000. This will create a ton of files in a subfolder - most are audio files I think. But \FFFFFD61\pc-w\local\locals.bin contains a bunch of text, including the emails. I have no idea how it is laid out - you'll probably need to write a script to extract it all in a user-readable way.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff.

First, I played the game on the PS3.
Second, I don't have any coding ability (despite the fact that it is the new "Superpower" if the viral Youtube video is any indication of the current trends).

This sounds like the best way to get to the emails by far.

If anyone else has the ability to execute this plan, it would be more efficient.

I'm just going to take pictures of the emails with my camera and type out the emails manually.

Trust me, I'd really rather not do this in such a cumbersome way, but one works with the skills one has.

...I really should teach myself how to code...

I found this on the web not too long ago; contains all (?) text in the game, including dialogue and the mails. Not very organized, but so far I found everything I was looking for, even stuff I never heard/read in the game, such as Radford talking about his robodog Sparky (that might just be me still missing content in the game, though).

wooh...

Great find Severine!

Unfortunately, all the text is given in one undifferentiated lump, and I can't recall the specific text of the emails as different from ingame conversations.

For now, I will go about recording the emails in the plodding manner I am capable of, but, as you said, I will try to enjoy the experience of reliving those parts of the game.

Interesting find with the Sparky the Dog excerpts.

I don't remember reading anything on this, and I think I read almost every email in the game.