PDA

View Full Version : Installing with Steam?

MikeHawthorne
22nd Feb 2013, 15:03
Hi

I hope since this is now going to be a Steam Game that you don't have to jump through hoops to install it as you did with Skyrim.

Even though I had the DVD it wanted to re-download the whole game again when I installed it.

Only after a half hour of research online was I able to find a way to force it to install the game from the DVD by writing commands to direct it to use the DVD.

I don't want all the hassles that go along with Steam but I guess this it the wave of the future.

Mike

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 15:08
usually when you insert the disc, steam detects it and should also install from the disc and not download it.
i just recently installed alien vs predator (2010) again and it installed just fine from the dvd.
so im sure this will be case as well for this game.

MikeHawthorne
22nd Feb 2013, 15:17
Hi

I've got my fingers crossed.

Mike

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
22nd Feb 2013, 15:18
Well, it's Steam. Installation once used to be a simple process, but Valve managed to make it a headache and a total pain in the ***.

Skyrim? I remember the problems I had with Empire Total War, Steam bloody refused to copy the files from the discs and proceeded to download 15 GBs of data (more or less) instead.
Or Civilization 5 - this is when I found out that even when installing a Steamworks game from a DVD, I have to maintain a stable internet connection for the entire installation process (or pray that Valve's servers aren't "too busy"), otherwise Steam will abort it instantly. :mad2:

Oh, and the famous "offline mode" is a total lottery. It works when it wants to. Funny that much-hated Origin or UPlay clients do not suffer from this problem, they even automatically switch to offline mode when your connection drops - unlike Steam, where you have to do this manually and only when you're still connected, otherwise it won't work (preventing you from playing anything).

I've learnt to tolerate this... thing, but people singing Valve's praises annoy me to no end.
Steamworks as a set of tools is great, but the DRM part is beyond horrid (outdated, too), causes nothing but problems.

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 15:27
Well, it's Steam. Installation once used to be a simple process, but Valve managed to make it a headache and a total pain in the ***.

Skyrim? I remember the problems I had with Empire Total War, Steam bloody refused to copy the files from the discs and proceeded to download 15 GBs of data (more or less) instead.
Or Civilization 5 - this is when I found out that even when installing a Steamworks game from a DVD, I have to maintain a stable internet connection for the entire installation process (or pray that Valve's servers aren't "too busy"), otherwise Steam will abort it instantly. :mad2:

Oh, and the famous "offline mode" is a total lottery. It works when it wants to. Funny that much-hated Origin or UPlay clients do not suffer from this problem, they even automatically switch to offline mode when your connection drops - unlike Steam, you have to do this manually and only when you're still connected, otherwise it won't work.

I've learnt to tolerate this... thing, but people singing Valve's praises annoy me to no end.
Steamworks as a set of tools is great, but the DRM part is beyond horrid (outdated, too), causes nothing but problems.

true. even once its installed, you still need to be connected until the last files are installed before you can play. but once its done, you dont have to worry anymore.

but i never had problems with the off line mode. if my connection dropped out, i was still able to play SP games. but yes, steam has its flaws.

Lantea
22nd Feb 2013, 22:22
This will be my first game on Steam, I have used GFWL before only (personally never had problems with GFWL), so the first impression with Tomb Raider is pretty much going to determine my future trust and use of Steam.
I am hopeing it will be a flawless hasle free install and play process.

I have the game on pre-order (disc copy), so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 01:42
This will be my first game on Steam, I have used GFWL before only (personally never had problems with GFWL), so the first impression with Tomb Raider is pretty much going to determine my future trust and use of Steam.
I am hopeing it will be a flawless hasle free install and play process.

I have the game on pre-order (disc copy), so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

im sure you can trust it and will not have any hassle as well. i personally have over 50 games on steam. most of them are retail versions wile maybe 15 of them or more are downloaded.

so let me tell you quickly how the installation works with steam.
1. obviously you need an account. what you can do already now is, to instal steam. its for free.
http://store.steampowered.com/about/

2. as always, insert the disc and steam will guide you threw the installation progress. (steam of course has to run)

3. enter the code and then it will instal the game from the disc.

4. once its completed, click on play or double click on the game in the list.

5. then it will install other stuff like C++2010, since its a first time playing the game. so make sure you are still connected to the internet.
once its done you will never see this progress again.

6. enjoy the game. :D

hope this helps a bit.

Lantea
23rd Feb 2013, 04:41
Thx for the guide Metalrocks :)

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 07:38
Thx for the guide Metalrocks :)

no problem. glad i could help :)

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 08:43
I love Steam, and Metalrocks posted a good guide to getting TR installed from the disc. I will tell you though, that until you get more than one game on it, you'll probably hate it, as it's just another thing to open up and/or leave running when you want to play. They run fantastic sales multiple times per year though, with a lot of popular games discounted 50% or more. Use it, build up a friends list, get a handful of games, and you'll start to love it. The games that have steam cloud integration are especially great, as you don't have to worry about losing your saves.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 13:12
I love Steam, and Metalrocks posted a good guide to getting TR installed from the disc. I will tell you though, that until you get more than one game on it, you'll probably hate it, as it's just another thing to open up and/or leave running when you want to play. They run fantastic sales multiple times per year though, with a lot of popular games discounted 50% or more. Use it, build up a friends list, get a handful of games, and you'll start to love it. The games that have steam cloud integration are especially great, as you don't have to worry about losing your saves.

thanks.
yes, steam really has great sales. during holidays i always check what they have on special. the games are so cheap that it makes retail stores look bad. :p
as i have mentioned few times here, steam has it flaws but nothing really to get too upset about.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 13:18
thanks.
yes, steam really has great sales. during holidays i always check what they have on special. the games are so cheap that it makes retail stores look bad. :p
as i have mentioned few times here, steam has it flaws but nothing really to get too upset about.

Steam sales keep me perpetually broke. From my steam profile: Games (353)

I have a problem.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 13:25
Steam sales keep me perpetually broke. From my steam profile: Games (353)

I have a problem.

:eek::nut::eek:
i have like over 50 games. at least 10 are indie games that you can only buy from steam. you sure should take a rest :p:lol: