PDA

View Full Version : Live Q&A with Jurjen Katsman of Nixxes [ended]

Driber
15th Feb 2013, 12:57
Live Q&A chat session with Jurjen Katsman, Director of Nixxes, PC developer of TOMB RAIDER

Monday February 25th

10 AM PST - 11 AM PST / 7 PM CET - 8 PM CET / 6 PM GMT - 7 PM GMT

This thread

Register now (http://forums.eidosgames.com/register.php) to participate :cool:

Driber
25th Feb 2013, 17:02
And we're live, folks!

To ensure that this chat session will remain fair for all participants, please follow these rules:

- Maximum 2 questions per turn per member.

- You get a new turn once your post has been replied to by Nixxes.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
25th Feb 2013, 17:55
Umm... Can we start asking questions?

kamermanbr
25th Feb 2013, 17:57
Tomb Raider its having a great reception among the press.
How are you feelings about that, did you guys expected that HUGE satisfaction?

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:00
I'm just going to start if that's OK....

How will the save feature work? Will it be autosave or can you save when you want?

Valenka
How extensive is the key mapping for the PC version? Can you map any key to all possible actions?

tainanlctr
When the download will be released on Steam?

NixxesSoftware
Hi everyone,

This is Jurjen Katsman from Nixxes. We have been working very hard on Tomb Raider for the last two years and are very happy to finally be talking about it with you guys.

The information that was released earlier will hopefully have already answered quite a few questions, but this is the time to ask any that may be left!

Driber
Note: to ensure that this chat session will remain fair for all participants, please follow these rules:

- Maximum 2 questions per turn per member.

- You get a new turn once your post has been replied to by Nixxes.

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:01
Tomb Raider its having a great reception among the press.
How are you feelings about that, did you guys expected that HUGE satisfaction?

I did. Ever since I saw the first trailer I knew this game was going to be epic. I'm very excited for it.

kamermanbr
25th Feb 2013, 18:01
Since SquareEnix its really supporting Latin America, Would you work in partnership with any Latin studio?
Or did you already got some help in any development task?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:03
tainanlctr: We are still working out when exactly we will allow pre-loads, but we expect it will be before the weekend.

Kamerman: Today we are seeing the first reviews coming in which is really exciting! We are pretty happy with some of them, and it's great to see our work is well received!

tainanlctr
The TOP SECRET EFFECT it comes to technology tress fx ? http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

jamvng
What antialiasing options will be available in the game?

Andy_Leo
25th Feb 2013, 18:04
The game will be demanding as actual games? (like high-end computers). The high-end features are nice, i'm waiting for optimizing like Sleeping Dogs (awesome graphics with high perfomance aswell). Sorry for bad english.

If i was able to run Absolution with everything on max/on, with the exception of MSAA, and getting solid performance (45 avg, 30 min frames) , will i be able to run Tomb Raider (almost) maxed with comparable results?

Props to Squeenix/Eidos and Nixxes btw for releasing good games and great PC versions.

Keep up the good work!

NixxesSoftware
Valenka: We know key-mapping is critically important for PC gamers so we definitely tried to ensure that everything can be mapped!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:05
lara_fan: The game will save automatically as you play, but you can also make additional saves if you want to be able to load back there directly and play a section again.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
25th Feb 2013, 18:06
Here are my questions:

- Why was Nixxes chosen to work on the PC version? Was that a natural choice for Crystal given your involvement with recent Square Enix PC games or a direct result of the absolutely stellar quality of the aformentioned PC ports?

- Underworld featured some stunning texture work, can we expect a significant leap (compared to the console versions) when it comes to the PC version of TR?

Rider
25th Feb 2013, 18:06
First of all i wanna say congratulations for past games, you did an amazing job!!

I wanna know what is your main goal when you do PC version of the game? What was your goal for this game?
Is it good optimization or maybe you want to make game to look great and to have special effects...etc?

And can you tell us more about special effect for TR? Or when will PC screens be released?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:07
Since SquareEnix its really supporting Latin America, Would you work in partnership with any Latin studio?
Or did you already got some help in any development task?

We have never worked with a Latin American studio at Nixxes before, but I don't see why not!

sidspacewalker
25th Feb 2013, 18:07
Hey devs,

You've done some amazing ports recently and I can't wait for this one! My question is - how much freedom did you have to experiment with DX11 features when porting Tomb Raider?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:08
The TOP SECRET EFFECT it comes to technology tress fx ? http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

That does look pretty interesting doesn't it? :) More on that tomorrow :)

tainanlctr
25th Feb 2013, 18:08
tainanlctr: We are still working out when exactly we will allow pre-loads, but we expect it will be before the weekend.

Kamerman: Today we are seeing the first reviews coming in which is really exciting! We are pretty happy with some of them, and it's great to see our work is well received!

PLEASE allow us to download the steam in advance for when you arrive at day 05 we play we already

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:09
What antialiasing options will be available in the game?

Right now we offer FXAA, and we are still looking at whether we can expand that either before release or later on.

TranceTrouble
are weapon upgrades permanent once installed or can they be taken off again?

BlueAngel7
Does the UI have PC specific features?

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:10
If you're missing something important from an area like a weapon or something to construct a weapon and are about to leave the area without it, will Lara comment and say something like "I should look around some more first before I move on". I just means things that are required for another area or for Lara to continue.

I know you can back track to certain areas but for those that you cannot go back to is what my question is based on. Sorry if this is confusing.

tainanlctr
We have never worked with a Latin American studio at Nixxes before, but I don't see why not!

xD Are very welcome!

NixxesSoftware
If i was able to run Absolution with everything on max/on, with the exception of MSAA, and getting solid performance (45 avg, 30 min frames) , will i be able to run Tomb Raider (almost) maxed with comparable results?

Props to Square Enix/Eidos and Nixxes btw for releasing good games and great PC versions.

Keep up the good work!

We're doing quite a few things that I think are very cool in Tomb Raider, and because of that you may not be able to max it completely, but if Hitman worked well I expect Tomb Raider to run well apart from perhaps the most high-end features.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:12
Hey devs,

You've done some amazing ports recently and I can't wait for this one! My question is - how much freedom did you have to experiment with DX11 features when porting Tomb Raider?

Pretty free! We obviously check the final results with Brian Horton at Crystal but we have spend a lot of time experimenting with different techniques, also in cooperation with AMD, to see what would work best for the game.

tainanlctr
25th Feb 2013, 18:13
That does look pretty interesting doesn't it? :) More on that tomorrow :)

AHHHHHHHHHHH OMG

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:14
Does the UI have PC specific features?

I'm not sure what specific features you would expect? But the UI has been given a make-over to ensure it controls well with the mouse and keyboard, as one would expect on PC. We basically went through screen by screen to see how we expected something like that to be controlled on PC, and then make the changes needed to do it.

There is also unique UI to control things like your button mapping, graphics options, etc.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:15
PLEASE allow us to download the steam in advance for when you arrive at day 05 we play we already

Just to be clear, we will allow you to download in advance, but are still working out the exact day with Steam. I expect it will give you plenty of time to download the full game before release!

JD_Method
25th Feb 2013, 18:15
With your partnership with AMD, will there be any features in Tomb Raider that will be exclusive to gamers with AMD hardware, and unavailable to Nvidia users?

kamermanbr
25th Feb 2013, 18:16
Since the game was developed for consoles, did you have any major problems when moving it to PC?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:18
First of all i wanna say congratulations for past games, you did an amazing job!!

I wanna know what is your main goal when you do PC version of the game? What was your goal for this game?
Is it good optimization or maybe you want to make game to look great and to have special effects...etc?

And can you tell us more about special effect for TR? Or when will PC screens be released?

Well there are multiple goals. As we have said we want to make sure people with less powerful machines can have a good Tomb Raider experience, so we have focussed on optimization for that.

But we feel that to offer a really good game to PC gamers we also need to bring a lot of unique features, and can't just give you the same product at a higher framerate.

So one of the things that took the most time (probably after the controls and UI) was to add features to the game that made it really stand out on PC.

BlueAngel7
I'm not sure what specific features you would expect? But the UI has been given a make-over to ensure it controls well with the mouse and keyboard, as one would expect on PC. We basically went through screen by screen to see how we expected something like that to be controlled on PC, and then make the changes needed to do it.

There is also unique UI to control things like your button mapping, graphics options, etc.

Thank you, that's great! Can't wait. :)

Someonelse
Does the recommended requirements target high settings at 60 frames?

How high res are the textures?

SCORPiON5150
25th Feb 2013, 18:19
Will the online Multiplayer utilize dedicated servers, or peer to peer connections? If you happen to know the answer to this on PS3/360 as well would be very helpful. Thanks!

NixxesSoftware
With your partnership with AMD, will there be any features in Tomb Raider that will be exclusive to gamers with AMD hardware, and unavailable to Nvidia users?

No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.

tainanlctr
Just to be clear, we will allow you to download in advance, but are still working out the exact day with Steam. I expect it will give you plenty of time to download the full game before release!

thank you

Rider
25th Feb 2013, 18:20
Well there are multiple goals. As we have said we want to make sure people with less powerful machines can have a good Tomb Raider experience, so we have focussed on optimization for that.

But we feel that to offer a really good game to PC gamers we also need to bring a lot of unique features, and can't just give you the same product at a higher framerate.

So one of the things that took the most time (probably after the controls and UI) was to add features to the game that made it really stand out on PC.

Thank you!

Two more questions ;)

1. Will you keep supporting Tomb Raider after March 5th? Releasing updates?

2. And is Tomb Raider more power hungry than Hitman: Absolution?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:21
Will the online Multiplayer utilize dedicated servers, or peer to peer connections? If you happen to know the answer to this on PS3/360 as well would be very helpful. Thanks!

There are no dedicated servers for multi-player. It's all peer-to-peer. I think for the first multiplayer Tomb Raider game this was the most logical decision.

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:23
lara_fan: The game will save automatically as you play, but you can also make additional saves if you want to be able to load back there directly and play a section again.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

JD_Method
25th Feb 2013, 18:23
No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.

Great. Thanks. :)

I know the TressFX thing will be revealed tomorrow, and I somewhat suspect it might be a feature of Tomb Raider. Though as it's an AMD thing, I was worried I might not be able to use it - assuming it is a part of Tomb Raider anyway.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:24
Does the recommended requirements target high settings at 60 frames?

How high res are the textures?

It is always very difficult to specify recommended settings and define what exactly you will get out of that on your machine, and it will also vary somewhat depending on the location in the game, your resolution, etc.

The recommended spec certainly does not allow you to max out the game. The highest quality settings require a lot more power.

About the texture resolution, I am happy you ask about that because it is something we are quite proud of. We are offering very high resolution textures on the PC build, much higher than anything we have ever done on PC before. For most textures we have 16 times the data compared to consoles.

Driber
25th Feb 2013, 18:26
For most textures we have 16 times the data compared to consoles.

:worship:

The Pvs_BR
25th Feb 2013, 18:27
Hi guys.

Can I run this game with this machine on High settings with good fps?

Intel core i5 2300 - 2.80 GHZ
AMD Radeon HD 5750 (1GB) - GDDR5
4GB Ram DDR3

Thank you!!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:28
Thank you!

Two more questions ;)

1. Will you keep supporting Tomb Raider after March 5th? Releasing updates?

2. And is Tomb Raider more power hungry than Hitman: Absolution?

We do expect to stick around for a while after March the 5th. We expect to have a presence on this forum helping people with any technical issues, and push out updates via Steam as needed. I can't really promise how often or how quickly we'll have updates, we will see what comes up and react accordingly.

Is it more power hungry? Well, it can be! Tomb Raider is designed to scale across a wider range of hardware as Hitman. If turned up all the way it will probably require more power, but at Low it can run on pretty low-end machines, as the min-spec also shows.

TranceTrouble
25th Feb 2013, 18:30
Nixxes also ported the PS3 version right? are there any huge differences between the xbox and PS3 version?

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
25th Feb 2013, 18:32
About the texture resolution, I am happy you ask about that because it is something we are quite proud of.

I asked that earlier, but my questions got ignored! *SOB*

LaraCroftRocks
25th Feb 2013, 18:32
:worship:

:worship::worship::worship:

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:33
Hi guys.

Can I run this game with this machine on High settings with good fps?

Intel core i5 2300 - 2.80 GHZ
AMD Radeon HD 5750 (1GB) - GDDR5
4GB Ram DDR3

Thank you!!

The 5750 is a bit of a mid-end graphics card, so I wouldn't expect to be able to go to Ultra or Ultimate, but I think you should be ok on High, as long as the resolution is not too high.

sidspacewalker
25th Feb 2013, 18:33
We do expect to stick around for a while after March the 5th. We expect to have a presence on this forum helping people with any technical issues, and push out updates via Steam as needed. I can't really promise how often or how quickly we'll have updates, we will see what comes up and react accordingly.

Is it more power hungry? Well, it can be! Tomb Raider is designed to scale across a wider range of hardware as Hitman. If turned up all the way it will probably require more power, but at Low it can run on pretty low-end machines, as the min-spec also shows.

Thank you so much for this! While I do enjoy the visuals in a PC game, I will take good performance over beauty any day :)

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:34

Nixxes has a lot of questions to answer and they are coming at him at a fast pace so don't be too upset if he skips yours. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose. :)

NixxesSoftware
Nixxes also ported the PS3 version right? are there any huge differences between the xbox and PS3 version?

We did work on the PS3 version! However, that's not what we are here to talk about today! :)

I hear some comparision videos have just found their way onto the net, so I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say. No, there are no huge differences.

kamermanbr
Are you already working on DLC´s?
Like other games, are you going to release a HIGH-RES pack, or all the graphic power its already on the base game?

Rider

Thank you!

And one more ;)

Does game look good on medium settings?
Because with i3, ATI 6850 and 8GB memory i guess that i will have to play on medium at FullHD resolution?

NixxesSoftware

Sorry I missed it! If you are wondering about anything else please ask!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:37
Thank you!

And one more ;)

Does game look good on medium settings?
Because with i3, ATI 6850 and 8GB memory i guess that i will have to play on medium?

It will definitely look good on Medium setting. We actually call it 'Normal' for just that reason. You have a lot of memory, if that also goes for your video card you should be able to run at Normal and still crank up the texture resolution really high. The i3 will probably be the main thing holding back your framerate.

Andy_Leo
- Will be released more DLCs? What about the Survival Edition owners, do we get anything more than listed on Steam page?

- Can i run it at 60fps or more at 1920x1080 Full HD? GTX 660 Ti, 4GB Ram, W7 64 Bits, Q8300 C2Q 2.50Ghz (bottlenecking 660 Ti a little bit, but 1680x1050 is working fine)

sidspacewalker
How mod-able is Tomb Raider? Will you be releasing any mod-kits post launch?

LaraCroftRocks
25th Feb 2013, 18:38
1. Will the PC version also be able to have any DLC once it out?
2. Will Tomb Raider being able to run smoothly on a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with a 2GB Dedicated VMRAM memory
with a Intel Core i5 2,50 GHZ with turbo boost up to 3.1 GHZ?

Rider
25th Feb 2013, 18:38
It will definitely look good on Medium setting. We actually call it 'Normal' for just that reason. You have a lot of memory, if that also goes for your video card you should be able to run at Normal and still crank up the texture resolution really high. The i3 will probably be the main thing holding back your framerate.

Thank you :) , i need upgrade. :(

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:39
Are you already working on DLC´s?
Like other games, are you going to release a HIGH-RES pack, or all the graphic power its already on the base game?

A high res pack to give you even more than 16x the texture data? :) No sorry! :)

That's already all in the main game. To ensure we can fit on disk we do have some extra movies and trailers that we are not including on disk or with the default download, so we offer those for download for free. But they do not impact the game itself.

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 18:39
Sorry my second question got bummed way up so is it ok for me to post it again?

If you're missing something required for the next area and you're about to move to that area does Lara say something like "I should look around here some more before I move on"? I know there are places you cannot back track to that is why I ask.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:40
1. Will the PC version also be able to have any DLC once it out?
2. Will Tomb Raider being able to run smoothly on a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with a 2GB Dedicated VMRAM memory?

The 630M is not very powerful, but it will run, just not at very high resolutions.

Yes, all DLC that will be released for Tomb Raider will also be available on PC via Steam.

TranceTrouble
25th Feb 2013, 18:41
We did work on the PS3 version! However, that's not what we are here to talk about today! :)

I hear some comparision videos have just found their way onto the net, so I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say. No, there are no huge differences.

hehe thanks for answering :)

one more question: what was the biggest challenge for you guys in developing the PC version?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:41
Sorry my second question got bummed way up so is it ok for me to post it again?

If you're missing something required for the next area and you're about to move to that area does Lara say something like "I should look around here some more before I move on"? I know there are places you cannot back track to that is why I ask.

If you miss something critical you usually won't be able to move on, but you can always go back and reach 100% completion later on.

I would like to keep the questions focussed on what is specific to the PC though, and not on general gameplay.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:43
How mod-able is Tomb Raider? Will you be releasing any mod-kits post launch?

Sorry, I don't expect we'll be releasing mod-kits. But I have always been very impressed in the past with some of the tools that the community has come up with to still allow modifications! I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen for Tomb Raider as well.

Rider
A high res pack to give you even more than 16x the texture data? :) No sorry! :)

That's already all in the main game. To ensure we can fit on disk we do have some extra movies and trailers that we are not including on disk or with the default download, so we offer those for download for free. But they do not impact the game itself.

When will that be available for download?
And how much GB is TR? One DL DVD or two?
And how much space will it take on HDD?

Lara_Fan_84
If you miss something critical you usually won't be able to move on, but you can always go back and reach 100% completion later on.

I would like to keep the questions focussed on what is specific to the PC though, and not on general gameplay.

Thanks. :) Sorry I missed the topic I guess. I don't plan on getting the PC version only PS3 so I will sit back and watch. :D

The Pvs_BR
25th Feb 2013, 18:44
In the pc version, we have the minimum, medium, high and super high on settings? Or we have too the ultra and ultimante?

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
25th Feb 2013, 18:44
Sorry I missed it! If you are wondering about anything else please ask!

No problem, please don't worry about that.:)
I'm ready to reward you with my hard-earned money after that "16 times the data of the original textures". That makes me so happy, can't wait for the proper PC screenshots and that, um "hair tech" reveal.:D

- You've mentioned that you've optimised the UI a bit to make it more keyboard & mouse friendly - does that mean that the interface changes on the fly when you decide to plug in a controller?

- There's something I need to ask - is there any mouse acceleration/smoothing enabled by default? Those are usually hated and labelled as "controller leftovers" by the PC community.

LaraCroftRocks
25th Feb 2013, 18:45
The 630M is not very powerful, but it will run, just not at very high resolutions.

Yes, all DLC that will be released for Tomb Raider will also be available on PC via Steam.

thank you for the reply & the answer
I will enjoy playing Tomb Raider

tainanlctr

Are you sure? Is that all we know of a character that is exclusive in multplayer for those who buy control wriless xbox360

sidspacewalker
Thank you for answering my questions today, I can't wait for the release next week!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:47
hehe thanks for answering :)

one more question: what was the biggest challenge for you guys in developing the PC version?

I would say the main challenge is coming up with ways to enhance the Tomb Raider experience in such a way that it fits with the game and does not break the general art-style. I think we've accomplish that quite well in the end.

UI is also always a big challenge, again to maintain the style of a game, but also to ensure it feels at home on the PC.

But overall it is hard to point out a specific thing as the main challenge, there are lots of little pieces that require attention. So perhaps the main challenge is to make sure that we do not miss anything :)

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:48
Are you sure? Is that all we know of a character that is exclusive in multplayer for those who buy control wriless xbox360

Yes, I do not consider that normal DLC because it comes bundled with a specific piece of hardware. But all DLC you can normally purchase will be available on all platforms.

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 18:48
Hello MR.Nixxes :)

I only have one ,for me important question: did you made this Tomb Raider for both-lefthanded and right handed players?
Can i change keyboard layout ,so i can move Lara with arrows,because im left handed.
I really hope you will answer.

Have a nice day! :D

BlueAngel7
25th Feb 2013, 18:49
What would you say is the biggest hit on performance regarding graphic options if you have a minimumn spec machine?

WalterWhite
25th Feb 2013, 18:50
What will be the most demanding graphical effect in the game ? Can you cause destruction to the environment ? Thanks

tainanlctr
25th Feb 2013, 18:51
I'm ready to reward you with my hard-earned money after that "16 times the data of the original textures". That makes me so happy, can't wait for the proper PC screenshots and that, um "hair tech" reveal.:D

- You've mentioned that you've optimised the UI a bit to make it more keyboard & mouse friendly - does that mean that the interface changes on the fly when you decide to plug in a controller?

- There's something I need to ask - is there any mouse acceleration/smoothing enabled by default? Those are usually hated and labelled as "controller leftovers" by the PC community.

"hair tech" hehe already surrendered :)

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:52

Yes! The UI switches automatically between gamepad and keyboard/mouse depending on what you use. We've done that with all our recent PC titles and I think it works quite well. Especially now that there is Steam Big Picture, so people that have the PC hooked up to their TV or projector can launch and play the game all from their controller and effectively make a super-console out of their PC.

Mouse smoothing! That's a fun one. In Deus Ex for example we did not have any mouse smoothing, and that actually leads to jittery camera movement depending on the framerate and the quality of the mouse. So for Tomb Raider we added an option to enable or disable the smoothing. I wouldn't say that having this option is a controller left-over! It is there to work well on all the various pieces of PC hardware.

What I would say would be a controller-leftover, to use your term, would be acceleration, which makes up for some of the weaknesses of the controller. But we do not do mouse-acceleration at all.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:53
"hair tech" hehe already surrendered :)

Huh what hair tech? :)

Andy_Leo
- Will be released more DLCs, to improve weapons, more places to explore, history, etc?

- Can i run it at 60fps or more at 1920x1080 Full HD? GTX 660 Ti, 4GB Ram, W7 64 Bits, Q8300 C2Q 2.50Ghz (bottlenecking 660 Ti a little bit, but 1680x1050 is working fine)

tainanlctr
Yes, I do not consider that normal DLC because it comes bundled with a specific piece of hardware. But all DLC you can normally purchase will be available on all platforms.

I liked this character so please convince Crystal to release on PC we buy PLEASE

Driber
25th Feb 2013, 18:55
A few questions that have been asked by the community through the other official Tomb Raider social channels:

- Will PC gamers be able to play with a mouse and a keyboard?

- Does the game support 120 hertz?

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:56
What would you say is the biggest hit on performance regarding graphic options if you have a minimumn spec machine?

If you have a minimum spec machine resolution is probably the thing that you need to be most conscious about. Running at a lower resolution will speed almost everything up. But some of the LOD settings and settings related to LOD quality also help to allow us to run on the min-spec.

But let's not forget that the min-spec is pretty old hardware, we don't think a lot of people will actually be running like that.

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 18:58
A few questions that have been asked by the community through the other official Tomb Raider social channels:

- Will PC gamers be able to play with a mouse and a keyboard?

- Does the game support 120 hertz?

How do you dare asking that? :)

Of course you can play with mouse and keyboard. It's how I play all the time, and we do expect the majority of PC gamers to play that way.

We also do not restrict refresh rate or framerate at all. If your system can display 120hertz, and has the power to produce that many frames per second on top of that, you will be looking at 120 frames of Tomb Raider per second :)

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 19:00
What will be the most demanding graphical effect in the game ? Can you cause destruction to the environment ? Thanks

Some parts of the environment do destruct, but you can't just go and blow the entire island apart.

Our most demanding effect.... Well, look at the time... I think we'll have to cover that tomorrow! :)

TranceTrouble
25th Feb 2013, 19:01
does the pc multiplayer also support LAN based matchmaking instead of only online?

Driber
A few more bonus questions that have been coming in through the official blog/FB/etc:

- What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?

- Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode? Do I have to stay connected to the internet the whole time?

Someonelse
Thanks for answering my question but what do you mean by 16 times the data? Does that mean 4k res textures?

Rider
Is it over?? :(

Thank you for answering all our questions! Can't wait to play TR!

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 19:02
90% question get answered,and im in that 10% :(

BlueAngel7
25th Feb 2013, 19:04
If you have a minimum spec machine resolution is probably the thing that you need to be most conscious about. Running at a lower resolution will speed almost everything up. But some of the LOD settings and settings related to LOD quality also help to allow us to run on the min-spec.

But let's not forget that the min-spec is pretty old hardware, we don't think a lot of people will actually be running like that.

Thank you again, I think I'm all set. Anyway, I may yet upgrade at some point. Cash flow problems at the mo ;)

tainanlctr
25th Feb 2013, 19:05
thanks for answering our questions, you were very kind

NixxesSoftware
Hello MR.Nixxes :)

I only have one ,for me important question: did you made this Tomb Raider for both-lefthanded and right handed players?
Can i change keyboard layout ,so i can move Lara with arrows,because im left handed.
I really hope you will answer.

Have a nice day! :D

The default mappings are set-up for right handed players. But you are free to switch all the mappings to something more comfortable to you!

Lara Croft 1993
A few more bonus questions that have been coming in through the official blog/FB/etc:

- What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?

- Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode? Do I have to stay connected to the internet the whole time?

Ummm.. Driber are you trolling?:lol:
I think you are the one who answer them,if i remember correctly they told us we be able to play offline,if we playing SP,and if you want to play MP you'll had to be connected to internet.

Klona13
- Can PS3, PC and xbox players play together?

- How many audio languages does the PS3 version of the game have? (BR discs have lots of space)

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
25th Feb 2013, 19:06
Yes! The UI switches automatically between gamepad and keyboard/mouse depending on what you use. We've done that with all our recent PC titles and I think it works quite well. Especially now that there is Steam Big Picture, so people that have the PC hooked up to their TV or projector can launch and play the game all from their controller and effectively make a super-console out of their PC.

Mouse smoothing! That's a fun one. In Deus Ex for example we did not have any mouse smoothing, and that actually leads to jittery camera movement depending on the framerate and the quality of the mouse. So for Tomb Raider we added an option to enable or disable the smoothing. I wouldn't say that having this option is a controller left-over! It is there to work well on all the various pieces of PC hardware.

What I would say would be a controller-leftover, to use your term, would be acceleration, which makes up for some of the weaknesses of the controller. But we do not do mouse-acceleration at all.

Thank you!
What I meant was that certain games have this weird, "floty" feel when it comes to camera movement with smoothing enabled - it's probably just a result of a bad implementation, I'm extremely glad you've provided an option to turn it off.
It doesn't bother me that much personally, but if you've ever visted the Steam forums, you surely know there are people who get very, um, "trigger happy" when it comes to labelling anything "a console port". It's better not to provide them with any arguments. ;)

Everything sounds fantastic, thank you again!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 19:07
Yeah, some textures are 4k. I think we even have a few 8k ones at Ultra level. In general the exact resolution doesn't mean everything though, it the area on the screen they are applied to relative to their size is what is important!

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 19:08
The default mappings are set-up for right handed players. But you are free to switch all the mappings to something more comfortable to you!

Y-O-U GUYS ARE A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!:worship:

I was worried because Sleeping Dogs were made without ability to change Wei Shen's move-to be more exact-he couldn't move with arrow.

Thanks again man!

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 19:10
Driber is such a nice forum mod, so let's answer his questions! Last ones!

Yes, you can play in offline mode, but no multi-player obviously!

And for wide-screen we should support that well, including multi-screen displays like Eyefinity and Surround!

Someonelse
25th Feb 2013, 19:10
Yeah, some textures are 4k. I think we even have a few 8k ones at Ultra level. In general the exact resolution doesn't mean everything though, it the area on the screen they are applied to relative to their size is what is important!

Wow, you must need a lot of vram for that...

Driber
25th Feb 2013, 19:14
And that concludes this session!

Thanks everyone for your questions and for a good, clean chat :thumb:

NixxesSoftware
25th Feb 2013, 19:14
Just to close up! Thank you all for coming in and asking your questions. I hope I was able to answer them all and that the answer was helpful. We do have someone read these forums and as we get closer to release and also after release we will try to answer questions and help people with issues, especially on the Tech Support forum (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309).

Thanks again!

Jurjen
Nixxes

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 19:17
Just to close up! Thank you all for coming in and asking your questions. I hope I was able to answer them all and that the answer was helpful. We do have someone read these forums and as we get closer to release and also after release we will try to answer questions and help people with issues, especially on the Tech Support forum (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309).

Thanks again!

Jurjen
Nixxes

Hey man,thank you for taking time to answer our questions.
Thank you very much:wave:

Metalrocks
26th Feb 2013, 11:01
interesting answers. shame i had to miss out on all this since i was working but well. i like to ask anyway this question, because i know i will not have the chance to ask during the live section.

- will we be able to move the camera free around when lara is hanging on cliffs, edges, etc to see whats behind her?

Driber
10th Apr 2013, 13:01
Unsticking this now, to unclutter the list of sticky thread :)