PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex's original design document, annotated by Warren Spector

CardJoe
4th Jan 2013, 10:46
Eurogamer have a piece up on the original design document for Deus Ex, annotated by Warren Spector!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-04-the-deleted-scenes-of-deus-ex

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jan 2013, 12:44
What an interesting read, thanks for posting! :thumb:
Hope those unfinished levels get discovered one day.

El_Bel
4th Jan 2013, 12:49
I would pay anything for them!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jan 2013, 13:09
I would pay anything for them!

Anything? :naughty:

El_Bel
4th Jan 2013, 14:23
Yes, yes, yes! Including new kidneys, murder and dismemberment of your enemies, national secrets and a functional Iron Man suit.

Do you have an offer to make? :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jan 2013, 14:33
Yes, yes, yes! Including new kidneys, murder and dismemberment of your enemies, national secrets and a functional Iron Man suit.

Do you have an offer to make? :D

Those offers are too average. Something much more radical is called for.
I suggest you agree to become Omar - fully modified, of course. :cool: :D

JCpies
4th Jan 2013, 15:06
Their plan is to destabilise the US by engineering a Mexican invasion of Texas, then assassinate the entire cabinet by cutting off air to the Presidential bunker - not just have Bob Page take control of the internet. When their plan fails, their own AI kills them and absconds to space with an arsenal of nuclear weapons.

That's epic.

ColBashar
4th Jan 2013, 16:43
Adam could turn off the life-support mechanisms on the station, but he isn't blodthirsty in his ambitions. He doesn't want to hurt people (unlike Majestic 12, which didn't care...). And he needs to keep most, if not all, of the researchers and construction workers on board alive to finish and maintain the station once it's complete. Still, he'll sacrifice you if you get too close to stopping him and will, eventually, do everything in his power to stop you, even if that does mean sacrificing some innocents in the process.

Heh heh. I guess means that the Taggart button in Human Revolution is the canon one. <g> Adam joins the Illuminati, integrates with the Hyron OMCs, transforms into Daedalus, and then turns against Majestic 12.

Looking at these pages, I like the changes that they made, particularly in terms of grounding the world. Rocketing up to an orbital space station to fight a rogue AI sounds a bit too like System Shock, which is probably why they chose instead to delve into Area 51 as the climactic end.

El_Bel
4th Jan 2013, 17:47
Those offers are too average. Something much more radical is called for.
I suggest you agree to become Omar - fully modified, of course. :cool: :D

That sounds like an excelent deal! Although if your purpose is to help the Omar , i would be more useful as a mole. I could help them establish their presence in various parts of the world. I think an unaugmented person like me could get to places and influence people, that a fully augmented Omar couldn't!

How does this sound to you? :D

(Oh noes! Where did the xmas emotes go? I liked them :( )

TheYouthCounselor
7th Jan 2013, 09:12
These were very interesting to read, they were also hard to read as Warren Spector's shorthand is as legible as a doctors'.

An interesting thing to note is that many of the assets for the White House mission were recycled in the game. The attack is also canon and referenced in Deus Ex.

According to the Deus Ex wiki (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Philip_Mead#Behind_the_scenes):

Originally, Ion Storm planned a mission in the White House. In fact, the White House was a first map to be created. It was supposed to be heavy on story and conversations. However, after the changes of the story, it was scrapped. The decorations from the White House can be seen in the game in various places. While not being present in the gameplay, Mead and his wife can be seen in the intro sequence. Sarah Mead's model is used as a random schoolgirl.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jan 2013, 11:25
That sounds like an excelent deal! Although if your purpose is to help the Omar , i would be more useful as a mole. I could help them establish their presence in various parts of the world. I think an unaugmented person like me could get to places and influence people, that a fully augmented Omar couldn't!

How does this sound to you? :D

If you are happy to be a mole, then go for it. :D

(Oh noes! Where did the xmas emotes go? I liked them :( )

Xmas is over. :p

CyberP
9th Jan 2013, 12:56
These were very interesting to read, they were also hard to read as Warren Spector's shorthand is as legible as a doctors'.

An interesting thing to note is that many of the assets for the White House mission were recycled in the game. The attack is also canon and referenced in Deus Ex.

Originally, Ion Storm planned a mission in the White House. In fact, the White House was a first map to be created. It was supposed to be heavy on story and conversations. However, after the changes of the story, it was scrapped. The decorations from the White House can be seen in the game in various places. While not being present in the gameplay, Mead and his wife can be seen in the intro sequence. Sarah Mead's model is used as a random schoolgirl.

[/URL]:

The game needs more decoration actors such as the White House assets. Brushes piss me off, bugs and hassle.