PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 4 Idea - Play as Paul Denton (in close prequel to first game)

phillon
1st Dec 2012, 16:18
Hi there,

Long-time DX fanatic here (finished first game like 16times already) and also love DX-HR (except of course the stupid boss fights).

As title indicates, this would be something I personally would love. Essentially you play as Paul Denton in the lead up to events of Deus Ex. I loved Paul Denton's character and feel the fleshing his character out is essential for the Deus Ex universe/lore. The story could be centred around how he came to realize that UNATCO was rotten (perhaps even starting with him joining UNATCO) and could also flesh out the cannon of the Denton twins (their origins, lives together, etc.). As a tie in to HR, it could feature Megan Reed extensively as pivotal in the "D-Project" (which I would then assume would be the "Denton project").

This would be amazing to me. It would serve as a wonderful tie in between the first and second games (i.e. Paul Denton is the link between HR and DX1). I really feel that Eidos Montreal should strive to merge their own take on the series with the "established take" (and characters) with the next game. 50/50 I would say, 50HR and 50DX1.

Just thought I'd share that for what it’s worth. Any Eidos Montreal PR guys, please at least pass this on to your writers or sequel planners (just so as to at least bounce the idea off them). Any other forum members: what would you think of this as the next game? And if you don't want this, what are your ideas for the next game then?

Regards,
-phillon

El_Bel
1st Dec 2012, 19:17
Paul Dentons story would make a fine DX movie but not a good DX game. There is only one way the game can end, Exactly like DX one. Paul fails to kill Tracer Tong, he is converted to the cause, does no damage to MJ12 and then JC comes in and does everything.

Also Paul has a very strong character. He is not open for the player to roleplay with him.

sonicsidewinder
2nd Dec 2012, 05:20
Also Paul has a very strong character. He is not open for the player to roleplay with him.

Yeah, Paul only knows how to use the Electric Prod.

And that's it. Better game.

Reven
2nd Dec 2012, 15:49
I like the idea as I said once before. I would be interesting to see how UNATCO operated before MJ12 took full control and how Paul learned of all those conspiracies and made all the allies he did.

phillon
2nd Dec 2012, 16:16
Paul Dentons story would make a fine DX movie but not a good DX game. There is only one way the game can end, Exactly like DX one. Paul fails to kill Tracer Tong, he is converted to the cause, does no damage to MJ12 and then JC comes in and does everything.

Also Paul has a very strong character. He is not open for the player to role-play with him.

Still though, all we know is that Paul failed to assassinate Tracer Tong, not HOW this came to pass, the same goes for all your other points. There is still great potential for character development and exploration even with Paul and the plot as defined as it is. You will always have constants in the plot if you want coherency; for example regardless of what you do in DX HR, Megan Reed survives and joins up with a certain individual. You don't have any choice in that. And for story coherency certain choices must be considered "canon"; for example Paul Denton is saved in Deus Ex, this is considered "canon" for the sequel DX IW regardless of whether you saved him or not. So your argument does not hold objectively imho (though of course subjectively you might not prefer my proposal). There is great potential for how the events of DX1 came to pass, even if the end of the game is predetermined (the end of most RPGs are predetermined as well, even a game like Planescape Torment, that does not mean there is no potential for roleplaying in such games).

I simply believe that my proposal is the best of both worlds, something familiar and something new. It will serve as an excellent platform for more thoroughly exploring HR characters (Megan, even Adam, he can be tied to the prequel and Paul Denton as well, seeing as he is the "prototype" for the Dentons as per my assumption of the Project D reference). At the same time, characters from Deus Ex 1 can be explored in more depth (as their younger selves, how they came to be who they are); characters like Manderley, JC Denton, Simons, Page, Anna, Gunther, etc. and they could be tied to the continuity from HR (Eidos Montreal have already started doing this with Manderley and Page especially).

I just feel like the next Deus Ex game should not be solely "Eidos Montreal doing their own thing" with almost no reference to established canon from the first game; I would prefer that EM find a "happy medium" between their own take and characters and existing characters that DX fans also love and that I for one wish to see explored more. Ideally the game could take place something like 1 to 10 years prior to the first game.

Also, the novel by James Swallow was very enjoyable, I liked it. I was very disappointed however that almost none of the events from the novel was even referenced in the game, not even a mention made about Anna Keslo or Benjamin Saxon. The novel also features nice tie ins with the first game (Lebedev, Gunther) and the story told in the novel and in the game could be “brought together” for my proposed prequel.

-phillon

phillon
3rd Dec 2012, 11:03
I would also just like to add: for the writers, in the next game focus a bit more on the existential aspects of human augmentation and also on political philosophy. The writing of the first game in these areas is quite a bit better (imho) than in HR. The writing in HR is decent, but I feel this is an area a bit neglected by HR; HR writing focused more on the social and "practical" implications of human augmentation (or in a more general sense: trans-humanism); I would really appreciate if the writing in DX4 focuses a bit more on the existential philosophical aspects of trans-humanism and political philosophy concerning "technology/trans-humanism as power".

- phillon

LkMax
15th Dec 2012, 02:21
I was just thinking about that. It could be great to know more details between DX and HR and using Paul as the link seems interesting enough.
Also, Paul is alive on DX2? It was a lot harder to find a way to save him so I tought his death was cannon. Well I still have to finish that game, it's on my shelf awaiting a long time. =P

Shralla
16th Dec 2012, 02:38
All I hope is that the developers play a lot of Dishonored and make the correct decision to go back to exclusively first-person gameplay.

Rainbow6Team
7th Feb 2013, 03:04
I wouldn't mind playing as a new character,continuing the storyline up to the original Deus Ex game.

HERESY
7th Feb 2013, 06:02
All I hope is that the developers play a lot of Dishonored and make the correct decision to go back to exclusively first-person gameplay.

I don't. I think they should go third person all the way.

El_Bel
7th Feb 2013, 10:55
I don't. I think they should go third person all the way.

Or better make it an option -.-

JCpies
7th Feb 2013, 16:12
First Person only, third person only and the mix would be welcome.

Jerion
7th Feb 2013, 19:48
Oh don't start this again. We did this already.

Reven
7th Feb 2013, 21:10
Someone get Maxx here. He could copypasta the entire argument and every counter argument in one go for us. Also the distinct lack of polls on this forum is greatly unnerving to say the least. I remember at one point not a day would go by without a 50 page poll thread.

And for a Paul Denton game, very much yes and yes to everything else as well including that and that other thing.

sonicsidewinder
7th Feb 2013, 21:44
Make it bout zombies

FrankCSIS
7th Feb 2013, 23:36
First Person only, third person only and the mix would be welcome.

I would throw a top-down view level for good measure.

Reven
7th Feb 2013, 23:42
I would throw a top-down view level for good measure.

Isometric is where it's at. Let's get this baby Kickstarted!.

FrankCSIS
7th Feb 2013, 23:46
Isometric update of that Neuromancer game. It can be done, people!

For the sake of history, I would like to say I originally read this thread title as "Deus Ex 4 Play"

A variety of mental images ensued.

68_pie
8th Feb 2013, 09:35
Isometric is where it's at. Let's get this baby Kickstarted!.

You meant Cavalier Oblique, right?