PDA

View Full Version : To clarify the Disguises system!

Babyface Assassin
20th Nov 2012, 08:26
I read many topics in different forum, that complain, but most likely did´t understand the new Disguise system. So let me explain it a little bit from my perspective:

We all compare HA(Absolution) to BM(Blood Money) Thats ok, but we shouldn´t forget that HA is going in a new direction.

First let me remember the old Disguise in BM:
Once you put a Disguise on you where invisible for the most time.
That has changed in HA!

In HA its not that simple. You have to work to be unseen in a Disguise!
There are different ways to do so, lets start with the obvious.

1. Stay away from the enemy. Turning the back to them will help as well!

2. You can use instinct.
This is a limited option, because you will run out of instinct fast. For me it´s a temporary solution when I run into a enemy unexpected for example.

3. Use the crowd as a shield! (Similar tho Assassins Creed)

4. Use the hide spots. There are plenty in most levels you can activate and get invisible!

5. You have to have a close look at the yellow "spotting" arrows!
Once they are on max you have lost. But when they start to fill you can always use you instinct or turn around and walk away!!!! Don´t run or act suspicious.

6. Use the right Disguise!!! Thats the most important point of all. I will go into detail below.

You see, in HA you can no longer put on a Disguise and run around. Putting on the right Disguise will give you a huge advantage. BUT Putting on the wrong Disguise will bring you in trouble. Thats a very realistic (if we can speak of realistic in a videogame) way to have the Disguise.

Now imagine you are at work with your usual team (or in school class) and suddenly there is a new dude with a blad and a barcode on his had! Wouldn´t you be suspicioned?

Lets talk about the RIGHT Disguise:

****!Minor Spoiler!****

Lets take a level we all should know by now, The Hotel.
There are different enemy classes:
The Worker, The Bodyguards are the most seen. So when you use this outfits, you will have a hard Time. unfortunately its the way most people will go, thinking they play BM, because this seems to be an easy way. You will be spotted everywhere. You have to investigate the level first, and if you do you will notice that there are only a few caretaker around!. Thats the Disguise you have to use! And now you will be nearly invisible like in BM, except you run into a caretaker and be unaware.

So the conclusion is: Use the right Disguise and if there are enemys around you with the same class, act like them like explained above or hide!

Now finally lets have a look at HA with the Disguise system from BM in it. Lets take the library for example:
A level with many cops. Now if you could take a cop Disguise and be invisible like in BM you just could walk to the exit in 2 minutes and be done. That would make the game much to easy! So be careful what you asking for. When they would change back to this system the whole game would be broken!

I´m sorry for my grammar (German) but I hope you could understand what I wanted to say. The system is not broken nor useless, you have to act smart and learn the new mechanics.

petersjov
20th Nov 2012, 08:43
Great, post ! , and very well written :)

Tanks for the viewpoint, before I play :)

Wakey
20th Nov 2012, 08:48
I like the idea of the new system... But it really is poorly executed.
I'm not too far into the game so I can't say how the levels play out further in... But so far I've seen 2-3 different disguises in each area... Which are useless because you will CONSTANTLY run into people with the same outfit. Forcing you to play Splinter Cell.
Turning my back to people does nothing to help. They'll still see through the disguise insanely fast... No matter if I'm 5 or 30 meters from the guy.
And the only ultra-omg-I'm-safe disguise I've seen is the drug dealer in China Town... Which is absolutely ridicules. The real drug dealer just talked to the target face to face! How does he not see through the disguise when I'm up in his face? But the policeman can see that I'm a bad guy in a police outfit from 30 meters (With my back turned)?

This needs fixing. You shouldn't have to hunt for that single perfect disguise to be able to play the game like a Hitman game. Keep the fact in that the same outfit can see through it... But the insane AI needs to be turned down A LOT.

I've never lost trust in IO till now. With each new Hitman game I've been thinking "Damn! Beside a few bugs and glitches, the hide-in-plain-sight experience is near perfectly executes".
I'm afraid this'll be my last Hitman game if IO seriously thinks this is how the disguise system should work.
I can handle the linear levels... But I will not pay for a Hitman game if it doesn't feel like a Hitman game. And so far this game feels more like a Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid game.

*EDIT* Oh I forgot. Didn't IO say they wanted to remove the "trial and error" approach from the previous games? I have never restarted a checkpoint in any Hitman game as many times as I have in this game. I have never failed so many times in a row in the same area as in this game. If anything, they've made the "trial and error" aspect a 100 times worse.
I tell you... It was a real pain in the a** to get past the rooftop with the helicopter and 3-4 policemen. Jesus Christ, IO! What were you thinking with this system!?

Babyface Assassin
20th Nov 2012, 09:13
I like the idea of the new system... But it really is poorly executed.
I'm not too far into the game so I can't say how the levels play out further in... But so far I've seen 2-3 different disguises in each area... Which are useless because you will CONSTANTLY run into people with the same outfit. Forcing you to play Splinter Cell.

Not true! There are always disguises that are rare.
BUT in some levels you are right, thats because this levels are "run away" levels where you are forced to act like you are on the run! (Welcome to Absolution). That has nothing to do with the disguises system, its because of the story and flair.

Turning my back to people does nothing to help. They'll still see through the disguise insanely fast... No matter if I'm 5 or 30 meters from the guy.

You have to have a close look at the yellow "spotting" arrows!
Once they are on max you have lost. But when they start to fill you can always turn around and walk away!!!! Don´t run or act suspicious.

And the only ultra-omg-I'm-safe disguise I've seen is the drug dealer in China Town... Which is absolutely ridicules. The real drug dealer just talked to the target face to face! How does he not see through the disguise when I'm up in his face?

You have a point there. You should be spotted from king

This needs fixing. You shouldn't have to hunt for that single perfect disguise to be able to play the game like a Hitman game. Keep the fact in that the same outfit can see through it... But the insane AI needs to be turned down A LOT.
The Ai is fine to me. You really have to learn how to handle it. Go into a level and make some testing. You will see that its not as hard as you think! Just take your time and get used to it.

For me its a hitman game more than the other hitmans. Its much harder to be unseen but its possible if you know how.

*EDIT* Oh I forgot. Didn't IO say they wanted to remove the "trial and error" approach from the previous games? I have never restarted a checkpoint in any Hitman game as many times as I have in this game. I have never failed so many times in a row in the same area as in this game. If anything, they've made the "trial and error" aspect a 100 times worse.
I tell you... It was a real pain in the a** to get past the rooftop with the helicopter and 3-4 policemen. Jesus Christ, IO! What were you thinking with this system!?

Sounds like you should tune down the difficulty setting !!!!!

umadsadbadbro
20th Nov 2012, 09:17
I tell you... It was a real pain in the a** to get past the rooftop with the helicopter and 3-4 policemen.

I guess you didn't see the run for your life demo.:rolleyes:

Babyface Assassin
20th Nov 2012, 13:14
There is more police on the rooftop than in that trailer when playing on hard! You can´t just walk through the heli.

umadsadbadbro
20th Nov 2012, 14:08
There is more police on the rooftop than in that trailer when playing on hard! You can´t just walk through the heli.

ok. Thanks for correcting me. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. I'm going to pick it up now.

Causton97
20th Nov 2012, 15:45
Might I recommend you check out this thread - http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57099-for-the-love-of-god-io-please-fix-the-disguise-system-minor-spoiler/

There have been official responses from IO.

bukkit
20th Nov 2012, 16:02
Might I recommend you check out this thread - http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57099-for-the-love-of-god-io-please-fix-the-disguise-system-minor-spoiler/

There have been official responses from IO.

exactly how it was described in the pc gamer review, and fanboys here called it bull**** review. hitman game where you are unable to free roam large sandbox levels and plot your murder, rather hide and try to be unseen. add small linear levels dumb AI and terrible storry. and youve got 66/100. absolutely deserved rating imho

Ceceli
20th Nov 2012, 16:22

That's wrong. They can see you through 8 people densely blocking the way.

nameless
20th Nov 2012, 16:25
After playing it for a bit the learning curve is defintely steep so it may take time getting used to it.

2. You can use instinct.
This is a limited option, because you will run out of instinct fast. For me it´s a temporary solution when I run into a enemy unexpected for example.

I was not aware turning your back to the AI was a solution, will have to look into that.

Exactly, I still think though it needs to be toned down to a certain distance or such.

Also, I noticed that as 47 progresses through the levels you get power ups like "increase instinct" and "replenish instinct when hiding".

Does that work for the campaign or only for contract?

Because a fully maxed out instinct with the ability to replenish when your hiding (IE. looking at books) would defintely help out a lot and make it easier.

Spiderix
20th Nov 2012, 19:52
I like the disguise system one thing that I didn't like is if you got a mask on and they can still tell who you are. But yeaah try getting disguises like electrician or worker of some sort. Tey are low class and the guards wont care about them + they have nice access to a lot of handy areas. Just imagine a disguise in real life even thoug there are many guards in a place if one is replaced it will be noticeable. However it does suck that you can only cover your face for a limited time and then being unable to cover it to a totally different guard they should have made it so the same guard will recognise you after some time instead of making it dependant on instinct. So maybe turn down the detection rating down a little so you can still get by past them but it will raise suspicion.

BeeZorro
20th Nov 2012, 22:43
This new disguise system is pretty nice, keeps you thinking and studying the environment (dynamic gameplay) to see what is the most efficient disguise to take and how to use it.

Just got that judge disguise. It was quite hard comparing to other ones, but made me feel very good when i was able to walk around freely :)

Spiderix
20th Nov 2012, 22:58
This new disguise system is pretty nice, keeps you thinking and studying the environment (dynamic gameplay) to see what is the most efficient disguise to take and how to use it.

Just got that judge disguise. It was quite hard comparing to other ones, but made me feel very good when i was able to walk around freely :)

Yeaah, I took that disguise too kill all the guards went killing spree on civilians.

Darkness512
21st Nov 2012, 00:35
Post truly helps.
I am having trouble on Expert difficulty, this definately enlightened me to some tactics.

P.S: Stuck on Orphanage.

SonOfSparda
21st Nov 2012, 01:08
I have to say, I am almost fine with this AI, but what really pisses me off is cheap way tomake it harder.. Let me explain.

In normal missions Infiltrate/find &kill, it is fun when you enter a hotel disguised as a guard, and the moment you enter above your head are 7 yellow arrows indicating being spotted and 2k credits penalty, this will tell you to search for alternate ways of infiltration, and yep I found almost easy wheezy way to sneak in even in original suit!, but I would appreciate more something like custom difficulty setting like:
AI- Expert(+25%),Spawn- normal(+0%), Reaction- Hard(+15%),checkpoint - off(+25%). This would be great, maybe it is in Contracts, I have not played any of them yet.

BUT

Minor spoiler- /Run for your life mission/
I really hate playing Run for you life on expert in library it was somehow frustrating, also mission after as you start in a tunnel.. the moment I get out.. there is no way to do it without getting rid of someone on Expert and Purist, so the Suit challenges means most of the time "subdue/shoot them all!"

Dont get me wrong I am overall satisfied with H:A (I also hope that there wont be any run for your life II mission in next at least 5 missions) but AI needs to be tweaked/nerfed somehow. Your advice to turn around and head back, on Expert once you see yellow arrow you have like 80-90% chance to get spotted

I am also at Orphanage but I had lower diff so I am playing on Hard 1st playthrough.

Babyface Assassin
21st Nov 2012, 07:51

You are doing it wrong! You have to hide IN the crowd. When you do it right and use your Instinct the people around you turn blue.

abfirstr8
21st Nov 2012, 08:03
You are doing it wrong! You have to hide IN the crowd. When you do it right and use your Instinct the people around you turn blue.
I'm still confused about this as sometimes it blends me sometimes it does not. Do you have to stop moving in order to blend? Do you have to hit instinct to blend? I'm not quite getting the crowd mechanics, it worked fine in RFYL but yet in another level I kept getting spotted.

Babyface Assassin
21st Nov 2012, 08:23
You have to stop moving yes. But you don´t need to use your instinct. Instinct only shows you that you do it right.

KenTWOu
21st Nov 2012, 09:17
I'm still not sure that 'turning back' really helps. Even after I tried this several times.

UPDATE Oops, take my words back, it really helps. But sometimes it's really hard to turning back fast on expert difficulty.

RaduBox
21st Nov 2012, 09:17
thank you so much for this post

Ceceli
21st Nov 2012, 10:27

Dude, theres not enough instinct to get passed the cops on a corner on Chinatown and you want me to stay in front of him 'till it rapidly ends? ts...

Babyface Assassin
21st Nov 2012, 11:00
You don´t need instinct for it! I assume you are talking about the cops that secure the kings apartment? You need the right disguises to pass them ;)
Like I said, its not that simple this time, you need to use your brain allot.

GTRrocker
21st Nov 2012, 11:18
I like the new disguise system. My only issue is that there arent enough of them per level, especially when you have a level filled with bad guys like the hotel and there seems to be no option to advance. So usually when this happens, not all the time but sometimes, I just go sociopath and start shooting with a shotgun.

Also it seems that the hits go by way too fast. In blood money i would sit for hours and study a level. The game is kinda easy, yet difficult because of the disguise system at the same time. I am at the beginning of the game though so hopefully it gets more challenging. Also the AI sucks when you start shooting.

Ceceli
21st Nov 2012, 11:21
You don´t need instinct for it! I assume you are talking about the cops that secure the kings apartment? You need the right disguises to pass them ;)
Like I said, its not that simple this time, you need to use your brain allot.

I know that. The thing is, cause of the damn instinct bar, you can't get passed them with a cop suit. The bar goes empty right about a inch after you passed the 3 of them and somehow they know you're not a cop buy staring the back of your neck.

umadsadbadbro
21st Nov 2012, 11:49
I know that. The thing is, cause of the damn instinct bar, you can't get passed them with a cop suit. The bar goes empty right about a inch after you passed the 3 of them and somehow they know you're not a cop buy staring the back of your neck.

maybe it has something to do with the upc code on the back of your head.. :scratch:

aieeeee
21st Nov 2012, 12:08
We know this is Absolution and not Blood Money. That's irrelevant. The disguise system is still very poorly implemented. Stop defending it.

SonOfSparda
21st Nov 2012, 13:23

you mean the dealers apartment? Well you have to use distraction on the right side of the wall, if you have dealer's suit the one who is staying on the stairs knows you and let you go in, the 2 of the who watch TVs are suspicious.

vipar
21st Nov 2012, 14:27
We know this is Absolution and not Blood Money. That's irrelevant. The disguise system is still very poorly implemented. Stop defending it.

^this

The disguise system does not work as intended. And if it does, it's very poorly executed.

nameless
21st Nov 2012, 15:19
A couple things now that I've played up to the bar.

I can see why they made the disguise system as it was. If it was exactly like Blood Money then the game would be a cake walk, especially in levels like the hotel and orphanage where there's just one disguise.

On the way to Chinatown I got a clerk disguise and was more or less able to waltz through the cops without having to do anything.

There are hiding spots throughout the level that one can use (EX. Janitor blends in with mops, guards blend in with panthlets, etc.).

I ended up not having to crouch all the time and was able to walk around standing up so long as I stayed close to the wall. So as I walked from one point to another once I saw the indicator increasing I hit the wall as soon as possible to hide. That or find a hiding spot.

Like I said, a definite steep learning curve. Could still use some improvements like I pointed out but that's how I see it.

Also, turning back does nothing to the AI. They'll still see through you.

The crowd mechanic was implemented well though so you can use it to avoid attention.

SonOfSparda
21st Nov 2012, 15:48
now THIS IS CHEAP, THIS IS REALLY CHEAP, its a minor spoiler but

In orphanage mission you have to found 4 things (wont specify reason and what it is) It was really frustrating on expert & hard, I even found which disguise will work in this area flawlessly and have 2 things collected, but it was impossible to get that disguise, so when I used strategy try &restart like 15times and nothing worked properly, I tuned difficulty down, and what happened? Well they changed locations of the all 4 things needed to proceed There is literally no one defending them, It was piece of cake.

On hard thy are placed so you can be seen from at least 2 sides and also there is guard blocking the easiest path to exit.

It looks like they just added bigger spawn on higher diff and block easy escape. I was even able to sneak to boss but there was still one ******* standing on expert and watching him, boss even yelled at him to go do something, but he still just stands there, if i subdue him I am busted, if i throw something, he is just watching it and wont leave area.. dunno if its bug or not but i cant get the disguise on expert.

lawl I tuned down diff to normal.. mission finished in 4 minutes flawlessly.. That gap between normal & hard/expert is awfully big.

Ceceli
21st Nov 2012, 15:54
you mean the dealers apartment? Well you have to use distraction on the right side of the wall, if you have dealer's suit the one who is staying on the stairs knows you and let you go in, the 2 of the who watch TVs are suspicious.

Dude... if you have the dealer's suit, you don't need to creep you way in. Just walk right in and even say hello to the cops if you want. Dealer's suit is a free pass. We all are complaining here about the poor system of disguise. Don't try to fix the situation just with your bs logic that everybody is complaining. no offense.

spillomanen
21st Nov 2012, 16:11
I must say that it brings a smile to my face to see people complain about the disguise system!

Let me give you an example.
In the map "Streets of Hope" you have the opportunity to disguise yourself as a policeman for example. That is great, you put on the disguise to stay hidden. But don't you think that every policeman in the city knows each other? Its a small town, which means that the police department must be small aswell.. So in this little closed society, you expect to waltz up infront of the enemy and stay hidden, just because you are wearing a disguise?
This is what i think when i play the game. Sure, sometimes you wonder why you were spotted, but you have to be realistic. in many of the maps, you can hear the enemy talking about "the tall bald guy" which means that everyone is looking out for you, maybe just a bit.. But if a "new tall bald cop in town" comes walking down the street, i can understand they get suspecious!

I think the disguise system is realistic and pretty good in many ways. I won't say perfect, but its pretty good IMO!

toolnin2k
21st Nov 2012, 16:42
I must say that it brings a smile to my face to see people complain about the disguise system!

In the map "Streets of Hope" you have the opportunity to disguise yourself as a policeman for example. That is great, you put on the disguise to stay hidden. But don't you think that every policeman in the city knows each other? Its a small town, which means that the police department must be small aswell.. So in this little closed society, you expect to waltz up infront of the enemy and stay hidden, just because you are wearing a disguise?
This is what i think when i play the game. Sure, sometimes you wonder why you were spotted, but you have to be realistic. in many of the maps, you can hear the enemy talking about "the tall bald guy" which means that everyone is looking out for you, maybe just a bit.. But if a "new tall bald cop in town" comes walking down the street, i can understand they get suspecious!

I think the disguise system is realistic and pretty good in many ways. I won't say perfect, but its pretty good IMO!

If your back is to them or if you are across the street or room they should not be able to tell but in this game they can. I could see if you are right in front of them. PLUS you can have the swat outfit on with a mask and they can still tell its not a real cop. That is broken.

The whole game is broken anyways, you should not be hiding from the police, you are a hitman and this game should be about you killing people, not you being hunted, that is not why I play hitman games.

SonOfSparda
21st Nov 2012, 17:16
Dude... if you have the dealer's suit, you don't need to creep you way in. Just walk right in and even say hello to the cops if you want. Dealer's suit is a free pass. We all are complaining here about the poor system of disguise. Don't try to fix the situation just with your bs logic that everybody is complaining. no offense.

???

Play it on expert, and go in as a dealer with all cops in place (without king) yellow arrows everywhere and you are trespassing.

Platinumoxicity
21st Nov 2012, 17:52
YAMEE YAMEE

Ceceli
21st Nov 2012, 19:26
???

Play it on expert, and go in as a dealer with all cops in place (without king) yellow arrows everywhere and you are trespassing.

Negative. You're only trespassing if you try to go to the target's car. The dealer's apartment and the middle of the map where the meeting takes place are both OK if you're on the dealer's suit.

Obs.: I'm playing PURIST MODE only.

Ceceli
21st Nov 2012, 19:29

Get your facts straight. Nobody is complaining about that. Everybody is complaining that you can hide your face just once. Sometimes not even that, cause the cop keeps staring at you from down the hallway and 'till you f**king get across, you've lost all your instinct and he spotted you. In another words, Agent 47 got his hand tired of hidding his face!!!

spillomanen
21st Nov 2012, 19:30
If your back is to them or if you are across the street or room they should not be able to tell but in this game they can. I could see if you are right in front of them. PLUS you can have the swat outfit on with a mask and they can still tell its not a real cop. That is broken.

The whole game is broken anyways, you should not be hiding from the police, you are a hitman and this game should be about you killing people, not you being hunted, that is not why I play hitman games.

I don't have that problem with turning my back to them actually.. so i don't agree with you on this one..

Why are you hiding from the police? There is a couple of missions where you have to sneak around them, and make sure you are not spotted.. but that is because of the story line, not because of the game itself.. I think that the easiest way to complete a map such as "King of Chinatown" is to stay in your suit, because no one is looking at you as a suspect. Learn to evade the guards, distract them instead of just trying to walk past them.. it is possible.. i do agree with the SWAT suit though.. that is a costume, that you should be "invisible" in..
But the game is not broken.. It is just obviously played by people, who expect to put on a costume, walk up to the target, and blow him to pieces with the silverballers.. Try being creative, it results in a much more interesting gameplay.. but that is ofc my opinion :)

toolnin2k
21st Nov 2012, 20:06
I don't have that problem with turning my back to them actually.. so i don't agree with you on this one..

Why are you hiding from the police? There is a couple of missions where you have to sneak around them, and make sure you are not spotted.. but that is because of the story line, not because of the game itself.. I think that the easiest way to complete a map such as "King of Chinatown" is to stay in your suit, because no one is looking at you as a suspect. Learn to evade the guards, distract them instead of just trying to walk past them.. it is possible.. i do agree with the SWAT suit though.. that is a costume, that you should be "invisible" in..
But the game is not broken.. It is just obviously played by people, who expect to put on a costume, walk up to the target, and blow him to pieces with the silverballers.. Try being creative, it results in a much more interesting gameplay.. but that is ofc my opinion :)

Because in the libuary/hotel/helecopotor scene you need to hide from the police or your cover will be blown. Its a joke when one of them from across the room see you from behind and say STOP WAIT then your cover is blown.

And that system is broken if when you have a swat outfit on they can see right through it.

And you should be able to hide in plain site somewhat, didnt they tout that in this game? And you cant even do that.

Its also lame that you cant use anyones disguise except for who the game lets you. If I knock anyone out, I should be able to take their outfit.

That system of the game is 100% broken. They need tofix it where your cover is only blown if someone knows you and you are less than 5 ft away from them.

I dont think you should be able to put on any custome and walk up to someone and blow them away, but if you are across the room from someone, they should not be able to see through your disguise like they can in this game. They need to have a percent of cover depending on how far away you are and if they know you or not.

For example if you are a cop and you are across the room, it should be at 100% then if you get with 6ft of them for example let it go down to 5% for example depending on if you are facing themor not. Then the further you get away the more that percent goes up.

Babyface Assassin
21st Nov 2012, 20:59
Its funny to read all the complains. Most are just because they don't understand the way it works. Go and learn how to play! Why do you want to be invisible? That's not the way it was ment to be. Deal with it or play another game.
It would be much to easy if you could be invisible!

Alternative you could tune down the difficult setting to easy.

Comrade Suhov
21st Nov 2012, 21:05
You have to work to be unseen in a Disguise!
1. Stay away from the enemy. Turning the back to them will help as well!Only option on Expert Difficulty. However Hitman is not a Thief or Splinter Cell. It sucks in here and game never really suposed to be a stealth-action.

2. You can use instinct.
This is a limited option, because you will run out of instinct fast. For me it´s a temporary solution when I run into a enemy unexpected for example. On Expert and Purist you can't. You'll barelly lose one guard by the time your instinct is dry.

I've spent 4 hours in Chinatown to get perfect kill and SA mark. Crowd do nothing, they are just mere decoration, like in "Murder of Crows" in Blood Money.

4. Use the hide spots. There are plenty in most levels you can activate and get invisible!
There is no "donut" hiding spot in Chinatown, for instance. Once you dressed up like a cop, you are busted. Pam!

Once they are on max you have lost. But when they start to fill you can always use you instinct or turn around and walk away!!!! Don´t run or act suspicious.On Expert and above disguse is blown in 3 seconds. You'll barelly put your gun on by the time you are busted.

6. Use the right Disguise!!! Thats the most important point of all. I will go into detail below.There is no 'one-of-the-kind' NPC on a level, so any disguise will only make it worse.

****!Minor Spoiler!****

The Worker, The Bodyguards are the most seen. So when you use this outfits, you will have a hard Time. unfortunately its the way most people will go, thinking they play BM, because this seems to be an easy way. You will be spotted everywhere. You have to investigate the level first, and if you do you will notice that there are only a few caretaker around!. Thats the Disguise you have to use! And now you will be nearly invisible like in BM, except you run into a caretaker and be unaware.

There are enought of them to not let you get to elevator in one piece. Same with thungs and electricans. Oh, there is an old crone too, but I can't dress like her.

Oh, thank you, kind sir. I've gotten SA ratings in Blood Money on expert and Perfect mark in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory only to play Hitman: Absolution on easy only because devs screwed disguise system.
Check older e3 gameplay videos - Forty-Seven could walk with disguise on among the cops, not hiding behind every chair and table. Only alerted enemy and chief could get suspicious.

gatz
21st Nov 2012, 21:11
Its funny to read all the complains. Most are just because they don't understand the way it works. Go and learn how to play! Why do you want to be invisible? That's not the way it was ment to be. Deal with it or play another game.

How long have you been involved with the series? People are upset because if we wanted to play splinter cell, we'd play splinter cell. Nobody is denying the enw system is completely unplayable, but it sure as hell isn't fun and definitely not what we've come to expect from a Hitman series game.

Babyface Assassin
21st Nov 2012, 21:30
Only option on Expert Difficulty. However Hitman is not a Thief or Splinter Cell. It sucks in here and game never really suposed to be a stealth-action.

On Expert and Purist you can't. You'll barelly lose one guard by the time your instinct is dry.

Why do you play on expert when you can´t handle it?

I've spent 4 hours in Chinatown to get perfect kill and SA mark. Crowd do nothing, they are just mere decoration, like in "Murder of Crows" in Blood Money.

You can hide in the crowd, read my post and learn how to do it!!

There is no "donut" hiding spot in Chinatown, for instance. Once you dressed up like a cop, you are busted. Pam!

Lol there are plenty!!

Thats what I talk about, people complain and don´t even know how to use the disquises system. Every single point from your post is simply wrong! My advice: play on easy first, read my post again and try the things I told you. Once you can handle it, try again on expert

To answer gatz questin, I played since Hitman 1

Cleggass
21st Nov 2012, 22:11
I read many topics in different forum, that complain, but most likely did´t understand the new Disguise system. So let me explain it a little bit from my perspective:

We all compare HA(Absolution) to BM(Blood Money) Thats ok, but we shouldn´t forget that HA is going in a new direction.

First let me remember the old Disguise in BM:
Once you put a Disguise on you where invisible for the most time.
That has changed in HA!

In HA its not that simple. You have to work to be unseen in a Disguise!

2. You can use instinct.

Once they are on max you have lost. But when they start to fill you can always use you instinct or turn around and walk away!!!! Don´t run or act suspicious.

6. Use the right Disguise!!! Thats the most important point of all. I will go into detail below.

You see, in HA you can no longer put on a Disguise and run around. Putting on the right Disguise will give you a huge advantage. BUT Putting on the wrong Disguise will bring you in trouble. Thats a very realistic (if we can speak of realistic in a videogame) way to have the Disguise.

Now imagine you are at work with your usual team (or in school class) and suddenly there is a new dude with a blad and a barcode on his had! Wouldn´t you be suspicioned?

Lets talk about the RIGHT Disguise:

****!Minor Spoiler!****

So the conclusion is: Use the right Disguise and if there are enemys around you with the same class, act like them like explained above or hide!

Now finally lets have a look at HA with the Disguise system from BM in it. Lets take the library for example:
A level with many cops. Now if you could take a cop Disguise and be invisible like in BM you just could walk to the exit in 2 minutes and be done. That would make the game much to easy! So be careful what you asking for. When they would change back to this system the whole game would be broken!

I´m sorry for my grammar (German) but I hope you could understand what I wanted to say. The system is not broken nor useless, you have to act smart and learn the new mechanics.

Great response mate..English is good, the disguise system is okay the idea behind it is good, the drama is the sensitivity of it, and the realism of the fact not every police officer knows everyone, however if they were just chatting and you use that officer disguise then yeah I can understand getting bust, my ideas would be decrease sensitivity or make the yellow arrows last a bit longer before they go into suspicion. I understand people's frustrations, and I'm sure that io sympathise too, after all people have spent there own money in this game and investing there time to play it, I'm sure that later down the line with some of the profit from HA can be invested into a patch. I just want to say IO thanks for all the work that's gone into the game and appreciate how far the team has done, and feel bad to but the one criticism in but feel it will need addressing at some point. Thanks for taking time to read if you do.

aieeeee
21st Nov 2012, 22:16

I know EXACTLY how the disguise system works thanks very much. And it works in a poor, fundamentally flawed way. I think you should deal with that.

Cleggass
21st Nov 2012, 22:16
Well the team has done not far lol

Cleggass
21st Nov 2012, 22:26
Guys your both arguing for no reason everyone has a right to their own opinion and each gamer is going to have a different skill base. Even though the disguise issue is raised a lot on here good or bad points should be posted on here it will give IO the feed back they require to make any necessary changes to the game. Respect what each player has to say.

SonOfSparda
21st Nov 2012, 22:35
Negative. You're only trespassing if you try to go to the target's car. The dealer's apartment and the middle of the map where the meeting takes place are both OK if you're on the dealer's suit.

Obs.: I'm playing PURIST MODE only.

then it was probably just a bug, I didnt try to visit apartment as snowman after this.

I have to say I got used to this disguise system pretty much. (dexter industries is where I ended today), but only hard setting is really well optimalized for this disguise system, expert is too sensitive.

Hitman86
21st Nov 2012, 23:07
My problem with this disguise system is that the Hitman games have always been about the freedom to roam a stage almost sandbox-like and perform your hit in whatever manner you desire. This was the fun factor of Hitman and this was the iconic style of the Hitman series.

Stealth was only required if you wished to complete a level in the suit. If you go with disguises, it allows you to be invisible to detection unless you enter an area prohibited in that disguise, stay too close to a guard for too long OR you are caught doing something suspicious.

I'll use an example from Blood Money. The stage where you have to assassinate the informant protected by FBI agents in a suburb house.

- If you use a garbage man disguise, you can freely walk around people's houses pretending to get trash but you cannot enter the informant's house.

- If you use the Delivery Guy's disguise, you can enter the main areas of the house but you cannot go upstairs or near other people's houses.

- If you use the FBI disguise, you can freely roam the house but you will be detected if you stand too close to the other agents too long.

This was a great system. It wasn't realistic but it allowed enough challenge while allowing you to freely plan out your kill without frustration.

In Absolution, you are just simply better off not wearing any disguise and just stealth your way through every level. A disguise is too risky and most of the time fails you when you don't expect it. The only areas you can wear your disguise without suspicion are the areas in which there are a lot of others wearing your outfit that will detect you. That just makes the point of disguises utterly useless. I have come to the conclusion that guard disguises are simply useless and not worth the effort.

In Absolution, I have resorted to simply all out stealth with the suit or just shoot my way through the level. The disguises and the ability to freely roam the area plotting your kill is mostly gone. This is not Hitman to me. This is Arkham/Gears of War with Agent 47.

Cleggass
21st Nov 2012, 23:41
I agree with you there matey, I'm guessing you meant wearing disguise where people are not wearing the same has you...not are. Although because of XBOX limitations (not sticking up for IO) even with this ability like BM there would be no free roaming due to the size of the mini sandbox levels, this his because it would use up too much memory on the Xbox due to so much of the Xbox memory being used up for the amazing graphics.

SonOfSparda
22nd Nov 2012, 00:10
I'll use an example from Blood Money. The stage where you have to assassinate the informant protected by FBI agents in a suburb house.

- If you use a garbage man disguise, you can freely walk around people's houses pretending to get trash but you cannot enter the informant's house.

- If you use the Delivery Guy's disguise, you can enter the main areas of the house but you cannot go upstairs or near other people's houses.

- If you use the FBI disguise, you can freely roam the house but you will be detected if you stand too close to the other agents too long.

This was a great system. It wasn't realistic but it allowed enough challenge while allowing you to freely plan out your kill without frustration.

In Absolution, I have resorted to simply all out stealth with the suit or just shoot my way through the level. The disguises and the ability to freely roam the area plotting your kill is mostly gone. This is not Hitman to me. This is Arkham/Gears of War with Agent 47.
Well thats not really true, Ill use few examples for that "freedom" which is also in this game.

- In Meat king party level from hitman contracts if you took waiter's disguise and he saw you, you were busted because he knew hes the only one, this works in H:A too, if they are like 2-3 same employees you are free to go anywhere if your fellow employees wont see you.

In H2:SA on Sicily if you took guard suit and went throug big gate (as there were 4 guards) your cover was instantly blown, hell even when one of two personal bodyguards saw you as they knew their subordinates, your cover was blown in an instant, your disguse only worked for a distance. Reviewers were also *****ing about unforgiving AI in H2SA, so in H:C you can sprint without drawing attention.

You are right Blood money was fun to play but AI was nearly useless (hard missions were hard because of what you must do and tight timing), but there was also this "social" AI element, Trip on Mississipi or how it was called, you could not pretend to be waiter, if waiter saw you= blown, you cant be one of the gang- you cant fool them etc.

This new AI is great, only thing what makes it OP is big field of vision.

Disguises are not useless, you want useless disguise? Go play Hitman 2:SA and snowy Japan levels, infiltrate the tower mission DA BEST!
You have disguise? Yamee yameeee (Stop in japanese), Guard is checking your id. You are ****ed.
You dont have disguise? Sniper acquired a target.

NiceGuyCody
22nd Nov 2012, 00:56
Its funny to read all the complains. Most are just because they don't understand the way it works. Go and learn how to play!.

:rolleyes:

Dude, people have cited scores of reasons as to why the disguise system is broken and unrealistic, and your only counter has been a fanboyish cry of, "DUUUUR U DUN NOT KNOW HOW TEH GAME DONE WORK Y U NO GOOD AT GAMEZ?!"

Why do you want to be invisible? That's not the way it was ment to be.

Seems to me that blending in and hiding in plain sight was the way it was meant to be for the four games preceeding this one. And it WORKED.
THAT was FUN, and if I have to choose between having FUN, and playing a game with some trumped-up, artificial "challenge" that stems from a psychic AI which unrealistically instantly sees through your disguise despite you having your back turned to them, in another room while they're looking in an opposite direction, then I'm going to reach for Blood Money and Contracts every time while this overlinear abomination gathers dust on the shelf.

A perfect example of how arbitrary and forced this "challenge" is can be found in the miserable orphanage level. 47 is being hunted by goons who wear gas masks, nylon masks and hockey masks. But when 47 subdues one, does this master of disguise take and wear the mask to completely hide his identity? NO! He walks around bare-faced, looking completely conspicuous FOR NO OTHER REASON than to force the player to abide by the atrocious disguise system.

And don't even get me started on how friggin' stupid it is that every single cop in Chicago knows each other, let alone well enough to detect an impostor by getting (LITERALLY) a nanoscecond's worth of a glimpse at the back of his head from the end of a dark, 20 foot hallway. Why the Hell are they so paranoid, anyway? They don't know that 47 is a master of diguise, they wouldn't be expending all their time and energy examining each other when they're looking for a bald man in a suit and they have lots of unstable and potentially dangerous pot farmers running around.
Ooooh, and then there's the food vendors at the Chinese New Year, who, despite being swarmed by hundreds of customers and having all manner of fireworks go off, are more involved with becoming immediately and inexplicably suspicious of the guy they immediately single out in an ocean of humanity walking around in a uniform from a convenince store from two blocks over.

Any way you try to polish this turd, it's unrealistic and forced. They tried to fix that which was not broken and wound up utterly destroying it.

Comrade Suhov
22nd Nov 2012, 07:41
Why do you play on expert when you can´t handle it?
I like to be tested. If I wanted to play game on Easy I'd rather bought Black Ops 2. I like the challenge, but disguise system curently in place is awuful!

You can hide in the crowd, read my post and learn how to do it!! I'm pretty much cannot. Cops and cook's are easily detect you in crowd, like if they not even exist. Only way to avoid them is to keep a great (~20 meters) distance or break line of sight with some solid object like a car or a wall.

Thats what I talk about, people complain and don´t even know how to use the disquises system. Every single point from your post is simply wrong!
Look again at this screen (http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1136293535393267801/F9B33D8B2CE9B6CE9651BE4F3A1F55C95C4B9E95/) I've made in Hotel. Guard is aware of my disguise from 15 meters away with his peripheral vision. And I am not even looking at him! Unfortunately, my cover was blown by the time my screenshot was saved. Using every obstacle to hide, avoiding doorways at all cost and always take cover is not a Hitman way. All the source off all of this is a cover system which is much more worse than it was during E3 gameplay videos.

This is how game react (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbdfPmlbTwg) then you walk on EASY with cop disguse into chopper.
And this is how it should be. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9cO0rlh0c#t=710s) Before you blablabla "it wasn't finished by that time", later on, in the same video we see (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9cO0rlh0c#t=857s) that direct eye contact generate yellow arrows. In retail game Forty-Seven disguise get blown by these too cops knocking the doors instantly or by cop standing near the elevator. So you have to either kill them all with point shooting or hope you'll have enought Instinct (which you don't on Hard and above) to run throughout this whole corridor to elevator.

With system like that in place, I'm not going to waste my time playing Absolution anymore untill this gibberish disguise system is fixed either by official patch or custom made config tweak/mod. I'm still got few untouched levels left in Blood Money and thanks to Eidos I now own first two Hitmans too.

SonOfSparda
22nd Nov 2012, 10:21
they probably get it how OP it would be if you just took disguise from 1st cop who is walking upstairs and then just walk away through whole level.

vipar
22nd Nov 2012, 10:25
they probably get it how OP it would be if you just took disguise from 1st cop who is walking upstairs and then just walk away through whole level.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25731230.jpg

Eptesicus
22nd Nov 2012, 10:28

But that is exactly the problem! They have destroyed the disguise system to make it work with their stupid and uneeded linear, on the run sections.

The disguise system was fine in Blood Money. You could walk around in plain sight but you couldnt stand too close to someone for too long or act suspiciously. This is far, far more realistic than Absolutions mechanic. Absolutions mechanic just doesnt work or make any sense.

You can't dress up as a chef in China Town without all the other chefs going absolutely nuts!? That makes no sense. Why would they even care if someone is walking around in a chefs hat and apron? But guess what you can do? You can pretend to be a drug dealer that the target has ALREADY MET AND SPOKEN WITH FACE TO FACE. Is there any suspicion there? Nope, the king just follows you to his grave.

You cannot deny that the current disguise system IS stupid and non-sensical.

vipar
22nd Nov 2012, 10:38
Seize Fire!

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1813598#post1813598

SonOfSparda
22nd Nov 2012, 11:42
You can't dress up as a chef in China Town without all the other chefs going absolutely nuts!? That makes no sense. Why would they even care if someone is walking around in a chefs hat and apron? But guess what you can do? You can pretend to be a drug dealer that the target has ALREADY MET AND SPOKEN WITH FACE TO FACE. Is there any suspicion there? Nope, the king just follows you to his grave.

You cannot deny that the current disguise system IS stupid and non-sensical.

Yeah, disguise as dealer is fail if you take his suit after he has spoken with King. Chef disguise is pretty much good, there are 5 of them in total and so many customers and obviously they are all working, so how can you be fooling around? They are either jealous or angry.

Why are you still comparing this to H:BM? BM may be fun to play but disguise system in this one was broken, it was hell of an overpowered feature! It is almost in every review that AI is too easy, AI from H2SA was more challenging and unforgiving, and it still has more satisfying feeling after pulling off SA rank than BM.

Idea behind H:A AI is great, far more realistic than BM. Let me explain why.

Lets take almost everyones favorite level- a new life from BM, in total there are lets say 15 fbi agents in whole building.

Do you really think in real world they wouldnt recognize you in an instant? If someone kills your classmate/co-worker from a small team, you wouldnt notice? This new disguise is trying to copy real life situation. Some of the details do not work as they should, but overall is great game mechanic, but its not perfect, though.

Eptesicus
22nd Nov 2012, 11:47
This new disguise is trying to copy real life situation.

and fails totally and miserably.

Sean Rubin
22nd Nov 2012, 16:03
I don't like the blend in feature using Instincts at all. I wish it wasn't part of the game. But unfortunately Absolution was built and revolves around the blend in using instincts feature. If you don't use the blend in feature then you are forced to play the game as Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell, pre-Conviction.

I would much rather have the disguise system from the previous four games in which I considered 50 percent broken than have Absolution's system in which I consider to be 100 percent broken.

Unless you do something "weird" like walk around with your silenced Silverballers out for everyone to see or be seen killing someone, you shouldn't get busted by the other characters in the game.

HanPL
22nd Nov 2012, 17:33
Guys Nick@IO already wrote that they are trying to fix the disguise system :)

We are currently looking at how to tweak the detection system with disguises.

So let's wait for a patch :D

toolnin2k
22nd Nov 2012, 18:09
:rolleyes:

Dude, people have cited scores of reasons as to why the disguise system is broken and unrealistic, and your only counter has been a fanboyish cry of, "DUUUUR U DUN NOT KNOW HOW TEH GAME DONE WORK Y U NO GOOD AT GAMEZ?!"

Seems to me that blending in and hiding in plain sight was the way it was meant to be for the four games preceeding this one. And it WORKED.
THAT was FUN, and if I have to choose between having FUN, and playing a game with some trumped-up, artificial "challenge" that stems from a psychic AI which unrealistically instantly sees through your disguise despite you having your back turned to them, in another room while they're looking in an opposite direction, then I'm going to reach for Blood Money and Contracts every time while this overlinear abomination gathers dust on the shelf.

A perfect example of how arbitrary and forced this "challenge" is can be found in the miserable orphanage level. 47 is being hunted by goons who wear gas masks, nylon masks and hockey masks. But when 47 subdues one, does this master of disguise take and wear the mask to completely hide his identity? NO! He walks around bare-faced, looking completely conspicuous FOR NO OTHER REASON than to force the player to abide by the atrocious disguise system.

And don't even get me started on how friggin' stupid it is that every single cop in Chicago knows each other, let alone well enough to detect an impostor by getting (LITERALLY) a nanoscecond's worth of a glimpse at the back of his head from the end of a dark, 20 foot hallway. Why the Hell are they so paranoid, anyway? They don't know that 47 is a master of diguise, they wouldn't be expending all their time and energy examining each other when they're looking for a bald man in a suit and they have lots of unstable and potentially dangerous pot farmers running around.
Ooooh, and then there's the food vendors at the Chinese New Year, who, despite being swarmed by hundreds of customers and having all manner of fireworks go off, are more involved with becoming immediately and inexplicably suspicious of the guy they immediately single out in an ocean of humanity walking around in a uniform from a convenince store from two blocks over.

Any way you try to polish this turd, it's unrealistic and forced. They tried to fix that which was not broken and wound up utterly destroying it.

Wearing the mask would not even matter, when you get the swat mask and outfit on the other swat members see right through it, so it really would not matter. The system is 100% broken, it doesnt matter if you are in the suit or a disguise you get the same results, the game forces you to use duck and cover ala splinter cell. They took the fun out of this game

RaginDude
22nd Nov 2012, 19:26
Most are just because they don't understand the way it works. Go and learn how to play!

Right! Because your argument make totally irrelevant the fact that a cop can call out your cop disguise (from behind) in the dark from half across the room...

spillomanen
23rd Nov 2012, 00:14
i just think people wants different things out of the disguise system.. i like the fact, that if you walk the streets of Hope, people are looking at you, because they don't know you.. It makes it realistic.. i think that it was too easy to get the FBI suit (as a reference to Blood Money) and it was like a ticket to doing whatever you wanted! .. I do agree that the spotting distance is maybe a little too unrealistic, and that you can get spotted if you are wearing a mask.. that is bad.. But i think that with the new system, you have to think about your way of approach and spend more time distracting the guards or whatever..
I will admit that it was funny in Blood Money, but at the same time it was kind of too easy.. I like both systems, each one has its upsides and downsides. But what you like depends on your playstyle ofc :)

Duspende .
23rd Nov 2012, 00:39
Here's my suggestion. Only allow NPC's wearing the same clothes to see you, if they're up close. They also didn't take into account that when you've been working the same boring job for 20 years, you would just go "He has a police uniform. He's a cop." You wouldn't inspect his face and call him out.

Turning your back to the enemy should help. But should only buy you enough time to walk out of there. Add this.

This way, instinct wouldn't be such an extremely underrated economy. I find myself passing 2 guards by using instinct, then I have to sneak around the area like I'm a goddamn ninja to move on. But using the system about I have described, you would just use instinct to pass guards you meet on the hallway.

Patch this, IO. Please.

Babyface Assassin
25th Nov 2012, 20:16
Turning your back to the enemy should help. But should only buy you enough time to walk out of there. Add this.

This already works!!!

split
25th Nov 2012, 23:23
Great post. Yes, use the right disguise for sure! And learn to be patient and opportunistic. I have no complaints with it yet. It's realistic to a degree you would expect.

Imperator
26th Nov 2012, 00:04
I made a list of good disguises. Please add to it.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=130737

KenTWOu
6th Dec 2012, 09:01
It's worth mentioning if NPC gets suspicious you still can hide in these hide spots. For example, if Teminus worker gets suspicious and already tries to identify you, you could walk away from him and hide using a swab. But you should do it fast. So even if the yellow "spotting" arrows are on max you have not lost. You still can hide!

Cjail
6th Dec 2012, 12:19
^^^
Actually the NPC don't get suspicious when they see you disguised, they "spot" you right away but if you use a hide spot they stop pursuing you nor alert everyone.
It's a substantial difference because in the score you will be still considered spotted, you will still get the penalization even if you have eluded them.

benjimino
6th Dec 2012, 15:53
The disguise system is a step in the right direction and for the most part, it works well. On Easy, Normal, and even Hard, I think the disguise system works pretty well and I never found myself getting frustrated.

I would never use a disguise that was widely used in the level, and I would always hunt for the rarer disguises, uses instinct and hide spots where appropiate.

The crowd system absolutely works, but I don't think it takes effect until the train station level. I've seen it work on the train station level, the vixen club and the chinese new year level for sure. It definitely works.

For levels like Run for your Life, on Normal mode, disguises do work. It's all about building up your instinct, moving swiftly (walking, not crouching) and breaking lind of sight. However, on Expert and above, the disguise system becomes more or less useless.

I've beaten Expert mode, so it's not case of not "handling it", it's about what Hitman was intended to be. If IO intended for disguises to be useless on Expert mode, then they succeeded, however - this raises another issue. If disguises were not menat to be used on Expert, then they intended the game to be stelath-action, a la Metal Gear and Splinter Cell. The problem is, Hitman: Absolution fails in two main areas there - checkpoints and triggered AI.

In Splinter Cell and MEtal Gear, you can save more or less anywhere and checkpoints are good. Also, guard routines start the moment you enter the level. The difference with Hitman is that you must trigger conversations, you must trigger guard routines. This does not allow you to plan effectively.

Sure, more people will see the lovingly crafted dialogue that IO put together, but that is not a worthy sacrifice. I know it sucks that only a few people will hear the dialogue you put together but such is life. That's part of creating a living breathing world. Having it any other way actually breaks immersion.

The disguise system is a great idea nad I hope they don't get rid of it completely. But work needs to be done on expert and above. No, nobody wants god-like disguises, but some slight tweaking won't go a miss. Expert mode demands you play it like Splinter Cell, but Hitman: Absolution fails as a Splinter Cell clone. They've sold themselves short. I don't know why they wanted to compete with those franchises, when Hitman already had its own unique gameplay that nobody could match.

Ristar85
6th Dec 2012, 19:58
i would not mind the current instinct/disguise game play if and only if it works just like in the intro mission where 47 has to trick the first farmer. the range can be tweaked according to the difficulty.

disguised as a farmer, 47 has to go really close (looks like within a metre or two) for the farmer to be suspicious and the arrow to show up.

after that farmer, ALL the AI act as if they have eagle vision from Assassin's Creed and can spot 47 from far FAR away, because he's glowing in gold colour.

playing this game as Splinter Cell is ridiculous, coz it wasnt meant to be that. besides, the darkness/brightness system isnt even implemented. in the dark sewer at Terminus Hotel, on Expert, the AI at the level where the basement elevator is, can spot me at the flooded area.

in Splinter Cell, the player has night vision (or the black and white and sonar goggles nonsense in Conviction).

in Hitman, the AI has eagle vision and the player can only tune up the gamma or use his own instincts. lol.

oh yeah, i also hate how the mouse angle is limited if 47 isnt visibly armed or zoomed (cant remember which atm).