PDA

View Full Version : "You cannot proceed with enemies on high alert"

bronxsta
14th Nov 2012, 00:22
I usually have nothing but praise for Absolution but I feel this is a legitimate concern

I was watching a walkthrough of RFYL and the player was on the rooftop after the helicopter and before the hippie apartment checkpoint. His cop disguise was blown and enemies were engaged so he tried to go through the exit only for that message to appear.

Now I find this worrying. I know the Hitman veterans or a stealthy approach won't encounter this but this is a huge blow for those who prefer or want to attempt a more action-oriented playstyle. Why would IO prevent you from finishing a level with alerted enemies? It limits your opinions and seems like it would make some potentially cool moments impossible, like ending a level while taking a human shield to keep enemies at bay.

Any opinions? Did any Hitman games prevent you from finishing because of enemy status?

Sean Rubin
14th Nov 2012, 00:51
This reminds me of what happens to me at the end of the mission, You Better Watch Out", from Blood Money. Towards the very end of the mission where I'm about to make my escape in the helicopter, I always wind up getting my cover blown and shot at by the guard standing by the door after he checks me for weapons (even though I don't have a gun on me). So therefore I have to run to the helicopter in order to escape and complete the mission. I'm sure one of these days I will figure out how to get Silent Assassin on that mission so that doesn't happen. I want to figure it out on my own though instead of watching a walkthrough as that extents the re-playability.

But anyway, regarding absolution. At first I was kinda against the idea that 47 can't proceed if the enemies are on high alert. But after thinking about it. I actually really like that idea. Because I always favor playing Hitman with stealth. So this new feature really encourages players to use stealth to avoid such a situation from happening in the first place.

Duspende .
14th Nov 2012, 00:59
When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Agent 47 doesn't want any witnesses to his actions and people pursueing him. You can easily play it as an action FPS game, due to the fact that as soon as you mow down enough people and the enemies can't see you, their alertlevel will drop thus allowing you to escape.

Molkifier
14th Nov 2012, 01:04
This reminds me of what happens to me at the end of the mission, You Better Watch Out", from Blood Money. Towards the very end of the mission where I'm about to make my escape in the helicopter, I always wind up getting my cover blown and shot at by the guard standing by the door after he checks me for weapons (even though I don't have a gun on me). So therefore I have to run to the helicopter in order to escape and complete the mission. I'm sure one of these days I will figure out how to get Silent Assassin on that mission so that doesn't happen. I want to figure it out on my own though instead of watching a walkthrough as that extents the re-playability.

You... do realize you can just exit from the boat you arrived on, right? :p

Duspende .
14th Nov 2012, 01:23

I... Are you serious? I... GOD DAMNIT. I'VE HAD THIS GAME FOR 6 YEARS, AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS!?

xzx
14th Nov 2012, 02:15
Games are just games. I remember this one guy who was a Monopoly board game freak. Nobody could ever defeat him. One day they said he got murdered, chopped up in small pieces and thrown off a bridge. I guess being an expert at Monopoly didn't save him.

Duspende .
14th Nov 2012, 02:19
Games are just games. I remember this one guy who was a Monopoly board game freak. Nobody could ever defeat him. One day they said he got murdered, chopped up in small pieces and thrown off a bridge. I guess being an expert at Monopoly didn't save him.

Being an expert at Hitman: Absolution might help. Then you would know how to be a real pro at killing people and getting away with it.

xzx
14th Nov 2012, 02:34
Being an expert at Hitman: Absolution might help. Then you would know how to be a real pro at killing people and getting away with it.

Nah. You'd probably just have a seizure.

Platinumoxicity
14th Nov 2012, 06:29
I usually have nothing but praise for Absolution but I feel this is a legitimate concern

I was watching a walkthrough of RFYL and the player was on the rooftop after the helicopter and before the hippie apartment checkpoint. His cop disguise was blown and enemies were engaged so he tried to go through the exit only for that message to appear.

Now I find this worrying. I know the Hitman veterans or a stealthy approach won't encounter this but this is a huge blow for those who prefer or want to attempt a more action-oriented playstyle.

This feels like revenge for "Death of a Showman" -a mission that has been designed clearly without any consideration for Silent Assassin players. If you exploit every possible bug and AI behavior anomaly, it is possible to technically achieve SA rating, but if you look at how it's achieved, there isn't much subtlety in the strategy itself.

"Run for Your Life" is a tutorial level, where the purpose is to demonstrate every major feature in the game. Including escape without being detected. Just like "Death of a Showman" forces players to kill unnecessary targets in very loud and violent ways, lowering their rating.

"Dance with the Devil" has an action scene too, but it's relatively easy to just run next to Maynard when he's reloading and strangle him. Though that again is just being forced to exploit the holes in the rating system. That room is sealed off, and that action sequence is forced on the player, but the rating system isn't suspended. Therefore any player who plays the scene in the way it's designed to be played, will not be able to recieve Silent Assassin rating, despite there having been no witnesses and no corpses discovered, and the target having been eliminated in a gunfight using his own selection of weapons on the table.

Not every playstyle is supported for every possible scenario. Sometimes you can get around that by exploiting some feature in the game. But at other times not. You need to find some way to stay undetected for the escape.

Sean Rubin
14th Nov 2012, 06:57

Nope. Didn't know. Must have been brain dead. Thanks for the info.

Spiderix
14th Nov 2012, 10:48

I remember reading about this asian dude who tried to pull someone out of a car like in GTA... that didn't go well for him.:lol:

SonOfSparda
14th Nov 2012, 14:28
Nope. Didn't know. Must have been brain dead. Thanks for the info.

If it makes you feel better, I have finished blood money many times, but I never noticed a helicopter in that level

Sean Rubin
15th Nov 2012, 00:55
If it makes you feel better, I have finished blood money many times, but I never noticed a helicopter in that level

That's the beauty of the Hitman games. So much replayability and finding new things, even years later. :D

Secret Invasion
15th Nov 2012, 02:42
I... Are you serious? I... GOD DAMNIT. I'VE HAD THIS GAME FOR 6 YEARS, AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS!?

That's the beauty of the Hitman games. So much replayability and finding new things, even years later. :D

I had no idea you could escape in the helicopter until I read this. I've always thought that area was essentially just for atmosphere and realism, but served no actual purpose.

Just yesterday, I was playing that level. I avoided the camera over the elevator and took it up. I then waited for the opportunity to jump over from one balcony to the other and knocked out the guy in the santa suit. Taking his costume as a disguise, I dragged him into the nearby restroom. I then walked out into the kitchen to sedate the sausage for Lorne de Havilland's dog, and I noticed for the first time that there was a cooler (at least I think that's what those are; what's important is that it's a place to hide bodies) in the corner. It's sort of hidden, so when you're entering from that way it's easy to miss. I've been hiding his body in the restroom all this time and there was a more convenient place right there. :P

A pretty small thing next to not knowing about alternate escape routes, but it feels significant when this sort of thing happens so close to the launch of Absolution.

S_Archer
15th Nov 2012, 02:53
It just means you have more witnesses to kill. I like it when people watch me do naughty things. I want them to see before they take a bullet to the face.