PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself - Adam, the Eidos Montreal Community Manager

b1skit
2nd Nov 2012, 22:26
Hello!!

My name is Adam, and it is with great excitement that I'd like to introduce myself as the new Eidos Montreal Community Manager. I've written a brief introductory blog on the Eidos Montreal Community site (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Intruder-Alert) that I hope you'll stop by and check out, but I also wanted to stop by the forums and introduce myself personally to everybody here :)

I've honestly been completely blown away by how passionate and dedicated the online community around Deus Ex, Thief and Eidos Montreal are, and I'm very interested to hear from you about what you would like to see from us in the coming months. As I mentioned in my blog post, I've managed to get my hands on some steam keys for the complete Thief collection (that's 3 awesome games in total!) for those of you who might be interested; tweet me @EidosMontreal with any ideas, thoughts or suggestions around what you might like to see from the Deus Ex/Thief/Eidos Montreal community in future, I'll award keys to the best 15 ideas on Monday (5th November 2012). I'm really looking forward to hearing from you!

On a slightly serious note, be aware that like all community managers, I'm specifically restricted from talking or speculating on anything ahead of it's announcement schedule - please, don't take it personally. Rest assured that the Eidos Montreal team are all working incredibly hard, lavishing the games you love with the attention they deserve. We're huge fans, just like you :)

Ok, on a less serious note, lets play a little game. Here are 3 statements about me, 1 of them is NOT true. Can you guess what it is?

1) I once played Blackjack with Paris Hilton
2) I have had lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto
3) Every retail Xbox 360 game I own was free

Anyways, please excuse the brevity of this post - It's Friday afternoon, and I've been told that there is free beer to be consumed, and socializing to be done... My Achilles heel! If you'd like to chat, I'll be popping by during the weekend to say hi. I look forward to getting to know you all! :D

-Adam
@b1skit

SageSavage
3rd Nov 2012, 00:07
Cheers, Adam!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2012, 01:33
Cheers, Adam!

Adam. It was if it was meant to be.... :cool: ....or'''

... it is a conspiracy! :eek:

:D

Welcome! Good to have you here. :wave:

Pinky_Powers
3rd Nov 2012, 05:12
1) I once played Blackjack with Paris Hilton
2) I have had lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto
3) Every retail Xbox 360 game I own was free

Okay...

Number 3 is too peculiar to be faked. It's not the sort of thing I imagine someone coming up with on their own.

Number 1 is too unbelievable, and therefore I do believe it. If you're trying to trick us, you should be more subtle.

And that leaves us with Number 2... Shigeru Miyamoto is exactly the sort of person everyone in the gaming industry wants to have lunch with. It's the sort of passing happenstance that is utterly amazing and plausible. Which makes it different than the other two. If I had to guess, that is your fib.

JCpies
3rd Nov 2012, 11:04
http://t.fireden.net/t/fireden.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Dxhr-david-sarif-001.jpg.jpeg

Adam, son.

You need a beard to compete with Jensen and Kyle.

Also, how did you get from travelling into the vidja game industry? Did you do something before you left?

ZakKa89
3rd Nov 2012, 14:19
Of course his name is Adam, it has to be Adam! :D

I also believe he couldn't have made up playing blackjack with Paris Hilton.
It's either 1 or 2, I'll go with 2.

Welcome, by the way. Maybe you can make the forum here less dead.
Why can't we post the suggestions here by the way? Do we have to use twitter?

AlexOfSpades
3rd Nov 2012, 15:28
AAAADAM! AAAAADAM! WHATS HAPPENIN

Welcome to the forums, AAAAAAADAM. Where's his complimentary crate'o cookies?

b1skit
3rd Nov 2012, 15:33
Thanks everyone! :)

I'm loving hearing everyone's thought process, keep guessing!

Also, how did you get from travelling into the vidja game industry? Did you do something before you left?
It was actually a sort of natural progression born of circumstance. I ended up living in Vancouver for a while, which at the time was booming for game development... I'd always wanted to work in games, so, I did :)

Why can't we post the suggestions here by the way? Do we have to use twitter?
Sure, if you don't have a twitter account you can post here.

MaxxQ1
3rd Nov 2012, 15:56
Interesting timing. I left this board awhile back because it wasn't worth coming here for info, since it was all being posted through other social media that I never use. What info *was* posted here was links to the other previously mentioned places that I don't use.

Question: Will this policy change? Will info be posted in full here, as well as on other social sites? If not, then I guess I'll just have to leave again.

Oh, and welcome. I'm a bit of a grumpy old fart, so don't take anything I say personally.

Edit: For misspelling a word.

68_pie
3rd Nov 2012, 19:27
FYI you will be getting a lot of snarky tweets from me in the near future but they are all serious - not joking.

b1skit
3rd Nov 2012, 19:47
MaxxQ1 - Sorry I'm confused, you stopped coming here because the info was shared on other social media sites - but you don't use them? Either way not to say there wont be cross pollination between each platform, because there will, but I'll definitely be trying to balance my attention and content between each platform. For example, forums are more suited for ongoing, detailed and threaded discussions, whereas Facebook might be more suited towards video sharing or Twitter might be more suited for HR updates (etc). Hope to see you around :)

68_pie - I'll certainly do my best to help you - what seems to be the problem?

MaxxQ1
3rd Nov 2012, 20:18
Yes, I stopped coming here because info was posted places I don't go to and not here... IOW, I passed on getting any new info, because I felt I was being treated as a second-class citizen simply for refusing to go elsewhere for game info. I don't mind links to YouTube, because I understand EM's budget probably doesn't allow for uploading and storage of video here, but as far as text info, I was basically told to follow the links elsewhere. I never followed any of the links - I'm stubborn that way. I have a facebook page I made several years ago (I would say that I was drunk, but I don't drink) and haven't been back to it since. I've never used twitter, and never will.

I'm not a technophobe, but I do like a little simplicity in my life, and would much prefer to one-stop shop, rather than jump all over the net to read about something. All I ask is that any text-based info be posted here as well as the social media site, but apparently even that was too much to ask many months ago. Sorry if I come across as snarky, but the fact that I felt ostracized because I don't tweet or do facebook or whatever kinda irritated me.

I understand the uses of the different media to get the word out, and that the board here is mainly for more detailed discussion, but it just annoys the hell out of me that I feel forced to go elsewhere to find out what everyone else is talking about. I really can't see how difficult it is to make a locked thread or forum to post new official info into, and the discussion for it taking place here in the main area. Just a simple copy and paste of whatever info was released elsewhere is all I ask for.

Edit: As for seeing me around, well... maybe and maybe not. This place is pretty much dead at this point. Everything to discuss has already been discussed to death and (pre-release) capsulized in my CopyPasta thread (link in my sig), or (post-release) just not worth talking about anymore. I don't have the enthusiasm for the game that might make me want to get the TML DLC (despite all the rave reviews), so there's nothing for me to discuss there, and anything else I might want to discuss, I've already said. Several times.

I only popped in today because I was bored, and was curious about what people here thought about Dishonored (the Other Games thread is one reason to pop in here a bit more often).

Pinky_Powers
3rd Nov 2012, 20:30
For example, forums are more suited for ongoing, detailed and threaded discussions, whereas Facebook might be more suited towards video sharing or Twitter might be more suited for HR updates (etc).

Forums have been suited for all of those things, and have been since before Facebook or Twitter.

We're not concerned that EM uses those outlets, only that EM uses them exclusively for certain bits of news. It's absurd. All community managers seem to drink the same kool-aid when they begin suggesting the Forum is not suited to host this same info in an update thread.

We have just such a thread here, and it's perfect for it.

If your intention is to reach the most people - which is the reasoning EM always uses to explain bad game design - then exclusivity is not wise. The Forum is suited best as the umbrella site - to catch all the news. Facebook and Twitter, with all their limitations, ought to be auxiliary outlets.

I know you probably won't do this. Your title is Community Manager after all, and the kool-aid precludes common sense. ;)

MaxxQ1
3rd Nov 2012, 20:34
Forums have been suited for all of those things, and have been since before Facebook or Twitter.

We're not concerned that EM uses those outlets, only that EM uses them exclusively for certain bits of news. It's absurd. All community managers seem to drink the same kool-aid when they begin suggesting the Forum is not suited to host this same info in an update thread.

If your intention is to reach the most people - which is the reasoning EM always uses to explain bad game design - then exclusivity is not wise. The Forum is suited best as the umbrella site. Facebook and Twitter, with all their limitations, ought to be auxiliary outlets.

He says it soooooo much better than I.

I love you Pinky, but in a manly way.

Pinky 2012!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2012, 22:07
I love you Pinky, but in a manly way.
Pinky 2012!

I love Pinky more than you, but in a womanly way. :rasp: :p :D

__

All viewpoints are valid... and I believe a solution to keep everybody happy is quite simple. :cool:

Just ensure that any information scheduled for release through other sites is also included here at the same time.
Adam, you could PM an alert to any of us mods and we can immediately add the information to relevant threads on this forum; if that helps in any way?

:thumb:

Pinky_Powers
3rd Nov 2012, 22:22
All viewpoints are valid... and I believe a solution to keep everybody happy is quite simple. :cool:

Just ensure that any information scheduled for release through other sites is also included here at the same time.
Adam, you could PM an alert to any of us mods and we can immediately add the information to relevant threads on this forum; if that helps in any way?

:thumb:

Thoughtful and elegant... just like you, MyLovelyImmortal. :flowers:

Jerion
3rd Nov 2012, 23:24
We actually looked into setting up a bot to do this a while back, much like the Tomb Raider forum. The idea was shot down for various reasons that I don't remember.

Also, Pinky, Maxx: I would say that forums can do those things, but I have never seen a forum accused of doing video sharing and galleries of such well. I point your attention to http://community.eidosmontreal.com/ - A website that has existed pretty much to aggregate everything together. A one-stop shop that has the flexibility to do what a forum can't do all that elegantly. Why don't you go there for your updates and news, if you're so against going to separate services like Facebook or Twitter? Or- and I might be misunderstanding here- are you simply attached to this forum to such an extent that you ignore other possibilities? :scratch:

MaxxQ1
4th Nov 2012, 01:47
We actually looked into setting up a bot to do this a while back, much like the Tomb Raider forum. The idea was shot down for various reasons that I don't remember.

Also, Pinky, Maxx: I would say that forums can do those things, but I have never seen a forum accused of doing video sharing and galleries of such well. I point your attention to http://community.eidosmontreal.com/ - A website that has existed pretty much to aggregate everything together. A one-stop shop that has the flexibility to do what a forum can't do all that elegantly. Why don't you go there for your updates and news, if you're so against going to separate services like Facebook or Twitter? Or- and I might be misunderstanding here- are you simply attached to this forum to such an extent that you ignore other possibilities? :scratch:

Well, at one time, I *was* pretty attached to this forum, but not, as you say, to such an extent that I ignore the other options. This is what irks me - nobody is understanding what I'm trying to say.

I don't use those other options, ever, for anything. Not for gaming, not for socializing, not even to stay in contact with family members. I have a car, a phone (that I use for *talking*, not texting), and email for that.

I was attached to this forum for talking with other folks about a game we are all interested in. Sure, the debates got heated occasionally, but that happens no matter where you go, so why do the same thing at half a dozen places when I can just do it in one place, and for one time only? Also, you apparently didn't read the part where I said I understand why EM doesn't post videos and other high-bandwidth info here - YouTube is fine for that. It's the text-only announcements that get posted *exclusively* at twitter or on facebook, but *not* at the official forums that irritates me.

I don't follow links to those places to read the info myself because I don't like those places. I don't like the crap that pops up, I don't like the incessant "friend me, friend me" crap that shows up. I don't like the inane people that seem to infest those places. So, I avoid it all completely.

Lastly, I *like* messageboards. I like the way they work, I like the way the interaction and byplay plays out between members. I like the fact that for the most part, morons who aren't even interested in whatever the messageboard is for stay away. I like the way different discussions are separated into different threads, instead of all mish-mashed together and you have to sort the wheat from the chaff at other places. To me, the level of intelligent conversation on a message board is magnitudes higher than that on twitter or facebook.

Sure, I'm in the minority on this. I don't really care. I know that nothing's really going to change. Quick, drive-by posting - or tweeting - is all the rage nowadays. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact of (internet) life. I don't really expect anything to change, so I guess I'll just pop back in here in a few more months, and see what's going on then.

Zerim
4th Nov 2012, 05:56
Hi Adam! I'll spare you any DX jokes!
(even though they were the first thing to come to my mind as well)

Pinky_Powers
4th Nov 2012, 07:29

I don't see this as being about me at all. I come here for the discussions. Occasionally I'll glean what little news there may be through said discussions. The forum is The Place to talk about what's new, and thus the perfect place to hear about what's new.

To be completely honest, I didn't even know about http://community.eidosmontreal.com/ If this is indeed functioning as an umbrella site for all news, then my argument about exclusivity is moot. Good on them. :thumb:

Also, Mr. K, "aggregate" already means "everything together." ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Nov 2012, 11:06
Thoughtful and elegant... just like you, MyLovelyImmortal. :flowers:

I do try my very best, Pinky. :D

Jerion
4th Nov 2012, 14:38
I don't see this as being about me at all. I come here for the discussions. Occasionally I'll glean what little news there may be through said discussions. The forum is The Place to talk about what's new, and thus the perfect place to hear about what's new.

To be completely honest, I didn't even know about http://community.eidosmontreal.com/ If this is indeed functioning as an umbrella site for all news, then my argument about exclusivity is moot. Good on them. :thumb:

Also, Mr. K, "aggregate" already means "everything together." ;)

Well, between the blog, tumblr news feed, twitter news feed and EM general news feed, I'd say it's more or less serving that role. The big handy link to the forums doesn't hurt.

Also, yes, I'm aware. You'll forgive me for being tired of the word "gather" and plucking a bit of redundancy out of the air. :p

I know! There's got to be at least a dozen one-liners waiting to happen.

b1skit
4th Nov 2012, 16:13
MaxxQ1 & Pinky_Powers - Indeed, I agree that having the forums as a one-stop-shop for all news definitely makes sense - especially since our most dedicated and hardcore users most frequently congregate here. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind for you guys so that the forums are never left out of anything. That being said, each different social media platform has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. I plan to include rather than exclude, so utilizing every tool available to me is a no-brainer as quite simply everybody has different tastes. Not all people have Twitter accounts, just like not all people regularly check forum update threads. It sounds to me like the main concern here is that the forums receive the same level of attention, updates and platform exclusives as every other platform we use - and if that truly is the case, I've gotcha covered :)

It would be my pleasure Viktoria - great idea! Let me know if you have any other awesome simple ideas like this one guys - Happy to help!

I point your attention to http://community.eidosmontreal.com/ - A website that has existed pretty much to aggregate everything together. A one-stop shop that has the flexibility to do what a forum can't do all that elegantly.

Well said Jerion! If anyone has any ideas on how we could improve the community portal to serve you better, then by all means let me know!

haha! I'll say it once: "Adam Jensen jokes... I didn't ask for this" :p

Absolutely, the community site is indeed an umbrella site but it also offers a stream of studio-centric content that might not necessarily make sense on our game-specific platforms. We have lots planned for this page in the coming months as well, so make sure you've got it bookmarked ;) I've also added a link to my signature as well, hopefully others in your situation will find it!

ZakKa89
4th Nov 2012, 17:36

If your intention is to reach the most people - which is the reasoning EM always uses to explain bad game design - then exclusivity is not wise. The Forum is suited best as the umbrella site - to catch all the news. Facebook and Twitter, with all their limitations, ought to be auxiliary outlets.

I know you probably won't do this. Your title is Community Manager after all, and the kool-aid precludes common sense. ;)

I totally agree with this. Whenever something gets posted on facebook, twitter or whatever social medium, it should be posted here as well. The forums are perfectly suited for posting videos, all kinds of small information. Everything is welcome! It's also a nice way to have everything in one place. I used to love this forum so much, now it's just kind of dead (I still love the community here)

@CM: I thank you for listening! Looking forward to whatever updates, big or small :)
That community site is great and all but It's not the same as having it here so you can directly discuss things.

However, I think the real 'problem' isn't the way news/information is being brought to us, but just an overall lack of quality news/updates at all...
We are hungry for some more Deus Ex. I want more DLC! Especially curious if the Montreal level has ever been finished :)

b1skit
4th Nov 2012, 19:13
I totally agree with this. Whenever something gets posted on facebook, twitter or whatever social medium, it should be posted here as well. The forums are perfectly suited for posting videos, all kinds of small information. Everything is welcome! It's also a nice way to have everything in one place. I used to love this forum so much, now it's just kind of dead (I still love the community here)

That shouldn't be a problem at all :) I'll work behind the scenes with our dedicated forum mods to make sure that any important updates are mirrored here.

Pinky_Powers
4th Nov 2012, 19:23
It sounds to me like the main concern here is that the forums receive the same level of attention, updates and platform exclusives as every other platform we use - and if that truly is the case, I've gotcha covered :)

Indeed yes. The long-born turmoil of this message board is that it's been excluded more often than not. In the end it hasn't been too bad; some member will eventually post the update they saw via another source. But still, if you have plans to enrich the content here, you shall have my support.

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/01f8ba0dd3496e7a09530c83dcee87311294983787_full.jpg

Also, yes, I'm aware. You'll forgive me for being tired of the word "gather" and plucking a bit of redundancy out of the air. :p

Fear naught! You get bonus points just for using the word aggregate. :cool:

ZakKa89
4th Nov 2012, 20:36
That shouldn't be a problem at all :) I'll work behind the scenes with our dedicated forum mods to make sure that any important updates are mirrored here.

That's great news! :)

Tecman
4th Nov 2012, 21:28
Hey, Adam! Welcome aboard! I'll spare you the advice I gave to Kyle when he first said hi (it wouldn't be applicable... unless a DX sequel is announced in the near future). We're basically harmless for now, it's the Thief 4 community you'll have to worry about and will cause you headaches if history will repeat itself. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Nov 2012, 00:39
We're basically harmless for now, it's the Thief 4 community you'll have to worry about...

Agreed. Those taffers are starving and in need of nourishment asap. :eek:

Reven
5th Nov 2012, 16:54
I kind of feel sorry for this new community manager chap already. After all he only got to play blackjack with Paris Hilton while everyone else got to spend one night in Paris, so to speak. But never the less I agree with everything the Maxx has to say as well as good chap Pinkerton. There has been a distinct lack of love for our little knitting circle and I await to see what changes are to be made. Also we should get along just fine as long as my other games thread is left unmolested and my good lady Erica is shown proper etiquette.

b1skit
5th Nov 2012, 18:08
Thanks everyone! I had a LOT of fun watching everyone guess which one of the 3 fun facts about me were NOT true. The truth is, number 2 was a lie - I've never had lunch with Shigeru Miyamoto but I would love to! Number 1 and number 3 are both very true :D

JCpies
5th Nov 2012, 18:18
Hopefully it wasn't THE Paris Hilton.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Nov 2012, 18:22
Paris is lovely. Romeo will be impressed. :D

EricaLeeV
5th Nov 2012, 18:25
Hello Adam, it is nice to know someone is once more taking the helm as community manager. For a while there I was uncertain of what would happen with such an important position! Good luck.

Also we should get along just fine as long as my other games thread is left unmolested and my good lady Erica is shown proper etiquette.

What do you mean, kind sir? Surely not that I am a delicate flower?

I would say more like a sleeping beast! C:<

Reven
8th Nov 2012, 18:18
What do you mean, kind sir? Surely not that I am a delicate flower?

I would say more like a sleeping beast! C:<

Indeed my lady you have the poise of a most delicate flower yet the passion of a fiery hearted hellion.

As for our new CM...will he survive the Ashpolt test?.Time shall tell.

Livesundersink
16th Nov 2012, 19:40
Hey Adam,
A fellow Queenslander here i've been wondering what town are you from?

b1skit
16th Nov 2012, 21:38
Hey Adam,
A fellow Queenslander here i've been wondering what town are you from?

Without revealing to much of my super villain past, about an hour or so south of Brisbane :) You?

Livesundersink
17th Nov 2012, 00:30
Without revealing to much of my super villain past, about an hour or so south of Brisbane :) You?

Well i was born in Mackay and i've also lived in Rockhampton, i'm currently living in the northern suburbs of Brisbane

Spyhopping
17th Nov 2012, 11:07
Welcome, Adam. Hope there's lots of fun ahead as CM.

b1skit
19th Nov 2012, 15:24
Well i was born in Mackay and i've also lived in Rockhampton, i'm currently living in the northern suburbs of Brisbane

Oh nice! I miss that part of the world, I have family there :)

Welcome, Adam. Hope there's lots of fun ahead as CM.

Thanks! :)