PDA

View Full Version : Anyone enjoy FFIX a lot?

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 14:20
Definitely one of my favorites, should probably grab it off PSN so I can play it on the go.
Well, whenever I get around to it, given I'm swamped with other games currently.

Anyways, favorite characters?

Mine would be Freya, being a Dragoon, followed by Quina, being a Blue Mage.
2 of my favorite FF job classes.

Summoner
31st May 2012, 14:24
I really liked the way that you permanently learn abilities on your equipment. I have to save my favorite character's are Garnet and Eiko. Love them summoning types.

kupo1705
31st May 2012, 14:36
It's great.

The characters, music, dialogue and the overal design is amazing. Lindblum is my favourite town from any video game.

The battle system is horrible though.

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 14:37
It's great.

The characters, music, dialogue and the overal design is amazing. Lindblum is my favourite town from any video game.

Yeah, they initially aimed for a faster battle system, but had some issues with it.

I don't mind it, it certainly could be faster, but that's really my only gripe with it.

kupo1705
31st May 2012, 14:40
Yeah, they initially aimed for a faster battle system, but had some issues with it.

I don't mind it, it certainly could be faster, but that's really my only gripe with it.

It's not just the speed. Sometimes it feels like the enemy is cheating. Like it doesn't care your ATB is full and it just attacks. I'm not a fan of the Trance system either.

The worst part is probably the transition to the battle which takes way too long.

PAT2K9
31st May 2012, 14:41
I loved FF IX. Almost everything about that game was perfect for me except for 1 thing...

The character desing. I could not stand how the characters looked in FF IX. I mean, come on now... did Zidane really need a tail... -_-

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 14:41

It's not just the speed. Sometimes it feels like the enemy is cheating. Like it doesn't care your ATB is full and it just attacks. I'm not a fan of the Trance system either.

The worst part is probably the transition to the battle which takes way too long.

Yeah, the trance, wish it was like previous ones which you could save it and use it whenever you wanted.

I never had issues with enemies cheating though, or just didn't notice it.

And don't mind the transition, I've played worse lol.

Summoner
31st May 2012, 14:45
I didn't have a problem with Zidine having a tail cause there were other NPCs that looks odd or even weirder. But not as odd looking as Qu.

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 14:49
Don't hate on the Qu, be still my heart...

They were awesome, weird quirky chef guys.

Automaton
31st May 2012, 14:51
IX is arguably my favorite entry in the series. I found it quite heartwarming, being a sendoff to what came before it before the series transitioned to PS2.

Summoner
31st May 2012, 14:53
Sorry, just not used to the make-up and the huge tongues and the taste for frogs.

Paradox_me
31st May 2012, 15:02
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game of all time. The setting, art direction, music (especially the music; Uematsu's finest IMO), etc. are all fantastic.

As for characters, I'd probably say Princess Garnet and Zidane. I like how the cast functions as a whole more than any individual character, but those two in particular were nice.

Zul
31st May 2012, 15:23
Definitely one of my favorites, should probably grab it off PSN so I can play it on the go.
Well, whenever I get around to it, given I'm swamped with other games currently.

Mine would be Freya, being a Dragoon, followed by Quina, being a Blue Mage.
2 of my favorite FF job classes.

Hehe, FF9 is my favorite FF by far.

Though I never did use Freya or Qina, towards the end I was using Vivi to hit flare with reflect x2 on himself and Steiner's shock.

ShinGundam
31st May 2012, 16:09
FF9 world was something else definitely, My favorite character is beatrix.

I enjoyed the game as much as playing other FF games.

member_10048689
31st May 2012, 16:34
There were so many good main and supporting characters, FFIX stands as one of my favourites. I'll never forget how happy I was to take down Zorn and Thorn due to story related elements =) I also think it has some of the best music and art direction in the entire series.

I'm actually near starting yet another FFIX replay, this time on PSP just for something different.

Pickle anyone?

Ksquall
31st May 2012, 17:56
I do. I still remember the first time that I played it. In fact, I recently restarted it. I don't think that I could ever get tired of that game. It's truly one of the gems in the Final Fantasy series.

tiaeltaru
31st May 2012, 18:16
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys IX a lot.

Definitely in my top 5 along with with V, VI, XI and XII.

member_10691345
31st May 2012, 18:40
I loved IX. The transitions bugged me a bit, along with some lag for some reason, but other than that, it was my 2nd most favorite Final Fantasy. My team was almost always Zidane, Dagger (Garnet), Vivi, and Freya.

Zul
31st May 2012, 19:36
I remember Hironobu Sakaguchi saying that FF9 was his ideal Final Fantasy. I think he also wrote some of the scenario for it.

ilikeikeilikeik
31st May 2012, 19:59
I know I say every FF game is my favorite, but this one IS MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ksquall
31st May 2012, 23:00
I know I say every FF game is my favorite, but this one IS MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, I love it so much that I often listen to the tracks from it.

TUranzaRE711
1st Jun 2012, 10:37
FINAL FANTASY lX is the first one I was play in this series. ^^

So I like this one the most. But the other is OK for me too.

iambasho777
1st Jun 2012, 12:34
Am I the only one who really loved Vivi? I liked his transition from the meek kid who listens to whatever he's told to being the wiser one of the group. Also, doomsday ftw. Just sayin' hahaha

And then they just ruined his character developement in KHII *sigh*

Summoner
1st Jun 2012, 15:07
Vivi was pretty cool. They did a good character model for him in KHII but he was pretty weird even tho you didn't see/hear much of him.

Yelvon
1st Jun 2012, 16:06
FFIX is my favorite game of all time as well. For reasons already stated by everyone else.

I hope SE lets the director of FFIX and FFXII helm another entry in the franchise, preferably the next one.

Gaialei_Strife
1st Jun 2012, 17:29
This was actually my first Final Fantasy!!! There are so many good memories from this game, and it gives me so much joy to listen to the music from it. I watched the lady (I forget her name) perform "Melodies of Life" and just started tearing up... I'm such a sap!!! XD

member_10074094
1st Jun 2012, 22:30
So ff9 is to this day my favorite game ever... the hero was great, the villain was a cross-dressing creeper, the music, art style, setting... everything about it was amazing. if only steal rates where higher...

member_10770952
2nd Jun 2012, 12:30
um hi yeah it's pretty good downloaded recently and it's awsome ^^

Gaialei_Strife
2nd Jun 2012, 12:35
So ff9 is to this day my favorite game ever... the hero was great, the villain was a cross-dressing creeper, the music, art style, setting... everything about it was amazing. if only steal rates where higher...

LOL Cross dressing creeper!!! XDDDD True... super surprised that was a dude.....

Summoner
2nd Jun 2012, 13:18
I knew it was a dude when I first saw him. lol I just thought he was wearing a silver speedo or something.

tiaeltaru
2nd Jun 2012, 18:47
I would definitely replay it if I wasn't replaying VIII, maybe after :)

Jackstin
2nd Jun 2012, 18:51
That's what I'm thinking XD. VIII makes me want to play IX.

granzil
4th Jun 2012, 02:45
i think this series the best..... i like how to transform chocobo... from treasure hunter... i like trace mode.... and point for attribute

Cpt_Coolerz
4th Jun 2012, 03:11
IX had the QTE's which was what I liked about it the most, because in other FF's as you roam the towns you wonder what everyone else is doing and here its just so well done.

Also Quina is a great party member loved using him/her/it , lol just eating up monsters all the time, too bad you dont get trance with him/her/it often then you can cook them, Man what gender is Quina anyway..

nikolasvanitas
4th Jun 2012, 03:26
my favorite ffgame,i enjoy playing this gamehttp://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

Summoner
4th Jun 2012, 09:29
I really enjoyed doing the Monster Hunt in Lindblum Kingdom.

member_10819317
4th Jun 2012, 14:14
I loved FFIX. I think it's my favorite Final Fnatasy game. I loved the setting, going back to the classic FFI world (Garland was even in it), I loved the music, I liked the unique way they did the weapon/ability system similar to FFVII I guess, and personally I liked the battle system. Plus, it was the last Final Fantasy game where you get to fly your airship around the world. I really miss that in the new games. I also really like FFXII, but the fact that you can't fly an airship around the world or ride your chocobo wherever takes it down in my mind.

edit: oh yeah it also has my favorite graphical style of all the 3D ones other than maybe FFXII and I like Zidane, and who can't love little Vivi! It's the first Final Fantasy game I played, so my nostalgia factor is affecting my rating of course lol. I played like 10 hours at my aunt's house when I was 9 and then recently I went and played all FF 1-13 one after the other.

I've looked at my share of Zidane yaoi

Jackstin
4th Jun 2012, 16:34
Final Fantasy IX is often called a throwback, but to be honest, its unlike any other Final Fantasy I've played. There's four characters, sure, and fixed jobs, and with castles...but really there's so much more to It. It felt just as progressive as VI and VIII to me.

And I'd love to see a more fun artstyle like this in future main series games.

member_10832400
4th Jun 2012, 17:51
Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorites, along with Final Fantasy VI. It's easily my favorite of the PS era FF games.

FFIX was the perfect love letter to the Final Fantasy series, drawing inspiration from the most iconic aspects of the previous eight games while still managing to forge it's own new and exciting frontiers.

member_10400185
4th Jun 2012, 18:17
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite FF title. It was my first and I went back and played previous FF games because of it.

I loved the story, the setting, gameplay and the way the characters loved and hated each other. It's an amazing fantasy adventure.

Summoner
5th Jun 2012, 09:48
Yeah it would be neat if they had another FF that had a similar artstyle in the future.

member_10766858
5th Jun 2012, 13:46
Me personaly , i like the chocobo hot and cold side quest . Dont get me wrong , i Love the game but it was a little to easy .

Summoner
5th Jun 2012, 13:50
I have spent some time on the Hot & Cold game, it was pretty fun.

ampdecay
5th Jun 2012, 22:12
First of all this.

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game of all time. The setting, art direction, music (especially the music; Uematsu's finest IMO), etc. are all fantastic.

I agree 100%

This is my favorite game of all time ever and I still pop it into my playstation from time to time.

Vivi is my absolute favorite character. I love how he grows as a character throughout the game and was amazing in battle for pretty much the entire game.

ampdecay
5th Jun 2012, 22:17
I've looked at my share of Zidane yaoi

at least you admit it

Summoner
7th Jun 2012, 16:49
What? I don't recall seeing somebody say that in the forum.

TheDarkangelChi
8th Jun 2012, 00:14
Ix is by far my favorite Final Fantasy

Jackstin
10th Jun 2012, 13:18
Wow okay. I thought FF7 was the best, but I've just been replaying 7, 8, and 9 and 9 is far and away the best.

I guess it makes it my favourite game ever!

tiaeltaru
10th Jun 2012, 14:11
Wow okay. I thought FF7 was the best, but I've just been replaying 7, 8, and 9 and 9 is far and away the best.

I guess it makes it my favourite game ever!

Welcome to the club.

Draggy
15th Jun 2012, 16:39
I recently replayed FFIX, and it was fantastic. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Freya's Dragon's Crest ftw.

member_10523116
16th Jun 2012, 07:54
Easily my favorite 3D Final Fantasy thus far. I love the throwback-ness of it all, and sans a rename of VS XIII, I hope that Final Fantasy XV is another throwback. Every 5 main releases would be nice to have something more traditional in the series.

Jackstin
20th Jun 2012, 18:20
Just finished disk 3 and I'm a little disappointed. I should stress a little because its an amazing game and far far better than VIII imo.

People have mentioned the speed, and it did start to get to me by the time I got auto haste. The encounter rates are also a little annoying. The lack of customization is really frustrating. Coming from VII and VIII which had pretty exquisite ways to beef your characters up, materia in VII, and GF ability refining in VIII, I can't help but feel restricted. Like my only choice is which characters to choose.

The story starts off great, all the characters are pretty happy, and I felt dagger's arc was compelling, but not Zidane's. The whole Terra scenario was nice as it explained a lot, but it was emotionally dead, despite its intention, and it was all over too quickly. Add to that the fact that it took a long time to get to the point where the story starts developing.

Still an incredible game, but I now thing I prefer 6, 7 and even 10 to this,

Automaton
21st Jun 2012, 23:17
The difference between VII/VIII and IX is that, to me, the Materia and GF system was open-ended enough that the choice boiled down to "what characters do I want to see in my battle party/what limits do I want". You could load any character with offense magic materia or drawn paramagic to make a "black mage" in VII/VIII, but if you want the same thing in IX you need Vivi.

But... "emotionally dead" is a very apt description given what the story is about. Heh.

iambasho777
22nd Jun 2012, 21:18
Jack, you CAN customize your characters, but only in subtle ways. Did you guys know certain equipment gives extra stat boosts upon level ups just like those GF abilities? With the right equipment on you can easily max two or three different stats on your trip to lvl 99.

Jackstin
23rd Jun 2012, 09:52
Indeed that was okay, but stat maxing isn't the same level of customization as VII, VIII, abd especially X. VIII for example had all sorts of abilities not even in the main game that you could only get fem farming. In IX everything was much more straightforward. Don't get me wrong, IX is far far better than VIII, but VIII had its moments too.

new_tradition
26th Jun 2012, 18:19
I LOVED FFIX SO MUCH *_*

Zidane was such a charismatic fellow, and Garnet was one of the few damsels in distress that didn't annoy me. Vivi was so adorable and so damn tragic, I miss him ;A;

Amarat was sort of "meh" for me, but he was good to have in the party. I enjoyed Freya a whole lot, and felt for her yearning to be with her amnesiac lover. Steiner was annoying of course, but he develops a lot through out the story, so I can't hold it against him for blindly following his duties when he tries to make up for it later. Eiko came off a bit too bratty for my liking, but she's a kid, and she's been alone for so long, so I forgive her, lol.quina was by far the quirkiest "abnormal" character I played in the series to date, so kudos xD

And Kuja...OMG, what a guy. I love him. I just...I don't know how to describe my adoration for such a creepy character >.<

The characters really did make the game. The story revolved so heavily around them. Gameplay was standard turn-based fare, so can't say much, but it was familair. In fact, FFIX really felt like a massive throw back to the earlier FF games. All that retro charm was nice &hearts;

AND I WILL FOREVER LOVE THE CHOCOBO HOT AND COLD MINI-GAME

member_10315886
2nd Jul 2012, 20:39
My favorite game ever since I played it back in 2001. I replay it all the time. Never gets old and never will. :)

I love everything about. The world is beautiful,the characters are all so lovable, the music is amazing, lots and lots of entertaining sidequest and the story is wonderful. I even jump roped 1016 times haha. Took what felt like forever!

I even obsessively collect FFIX merchandise which can be seen on my youtube channel! There needs to be more play arts figures of FFIX and some weapons arts!

member_10078668
13th Jul 2012, 05:01
FFIX was the best $9 I ever spent. /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif Chocobo Hot & Cold is fun although the battle system is, as a lot of people say, kind of frustrating. Main story was emotionally weak, yeah. It is the last Final Fantasy where you get to walk around on the world map so I'm not going to complain too much about the game.

Zidane is such a nutjob, I love him! /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif (Heck, I adore thief-classes in general.) Garnet is pretty cool, too. I kind of wanted to substitute Qu and Steiner with Blank. He seems like a more useful character than those two. Vivi's character development was really nice and I like his interactions with the other black mages.

onigiri619
13th Jul 2012, 19:21
Loved it for its fantastic callouts to the previous games but kinda sad with character development for my man Amarant (after Ipsen's Castle, he just went along with the crowd T_T)

WorstBirthdayEver
13th Jul 2012, 19:27
I feel as if it is the most underrated FF game on the PS1.

Azure
14th Jul 2012, 01:19
Yeah , FFIX is as good as FFVII but it was underrated due to FFVII fanboy is too much . Now the situation is better

Grimoire
20th Jul 2012, 15:15
Scrapped Garnet Concept Art

www.finalfantasy.jp/ff25th/2012/07/20/25... (http://www.finalfantasy.jp/ff25th/2012/07/20/25_14.html)

member_10078668
24th Jul 2012, 16:23
Scrapped Garnet Concept Art

www.finalfantasy.jp/ff25th/2012/07/20/25... (http://www.finalfantasy.jp/ff25th/2012/07/20/25_14.html)

Wow, I'm glad they scrapped the first one. I like that she doesn't show a lot of skin. I think she's the only Final Fantasy gal who's covered up (well, Eiko's covered up as well, I suppose). Meshes well with her character development of coming out of her shell.

member_10477782
17th Aug 2012, 21:05
I loved FF9 so much. It was so refreshing after FF8. I felt so much like I was playing FF6 again with each character having there specific class, thats just how I like it. FF10 and 12 annoyed me that anyone could become anything just about given enough time. I understand the reasons, they want you attached to the character not the class I guess. But I think its still possible with a more class based system. Freya was awesome and had her in my team all game, though I hate the dragoon class really.

Anyways, long story short. I loved Final Fantasy IX.

FatSqueek
9th Sep 2012, 21:32
My favorite game of all time, actually. I really can't think of a single thing I didn't like about it.

alanman178
19th Sep 2012, 13:39
Although FF7 is my favorite, 9 is still a good game. It was the last of the numbered ff games to have an open-world that offered a sense of freedom. The games since then have been more compact and more linear. It seems as if Square listened to those people who tend to just blow through their games without paying too much attention to everything it has to offer. Then, when a lot of fans started complaining about some changes, 'they' got criticized for it due to the assumption that they wanted those changes in the first place. I know all of us fans of the series have different favorites. I'm certainly never going to criticize another fan because their favorite isn't MY favorite. lol That would be ridiculous. I just don't like it when people who don't really care what happens to the series bash those who do care. I've had people admit to me that they weren't really 'fans' of the series, yet they criticized everything I had to say. Even the absolute facts that the great things that many fans have loved about the series over the years have either been dumbed down, or completely removed.

Sorry about the rant. lol I originally just meant to say that I liked FF9. Still do.

TuesdaysEyebrow
22nd Oct 2012, 22:17
It's to bad Squenix is such a poop about FFIX. It's the reason I got into Final Fantasy, back when I was like six or seven years old. If only I could be someone high enough up on the chain of comand to get the ball rolling for a HD or PC remake, so that a newer generation can enjoy this game, because, honestly, many people I know will refuse to play a game if the graphics are below par. I don't mind it , I actualy like the classic/retro graphics. Yes, I would have to say the Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game of all time, it beats Kingdom Hearts, Tales of Graces, and The Elder Scrolls all combined...although, if you threw Okami in there, It might be a smidgeon better, but only a smidgeon...yes, that was one big run-on sentence.

lightki1991
23rd Nov 2012, 00:44
this is my favorit final fantasy and i love everything about it my favorit characters are zidane and vivi i havent played it in a while but i spent hours drowned into the game because i think it is amazing

member_10538682
26th Dec 2012, 15:50
FFIX is definitely my favorite all time FF. After 7 and 8, 9 is a nice return to the fantasy aspect and traditional job classes, etc. I can't even count the amount of times Ive replayed this game. The story is so powerfully done, and looking back it now, those cutscenes were rather well done as well. Some tweaks to the battle system (cough, trance, cough) and graphics would be a great gift for us fans. I don't know about voice acting however, personally I've developed my own voices (in my head) which sounds a bit crazy, but you all do it.

racracx3
6th Jan 2013, 09:31
Finally I'm not alone!! I love FF IX. It's my favorite and people always tell me that I'm crazy because VII is the best but I actually like IX better. That's why I named my cat Zidane, well the fact that he's blonde and has a tail helped that decision. I've played it multiple times, however the last time I played it the game froze right as I entered Terra so I think I need to get a new disk :(

moooka
6th Jan 2013, 21:04
It's one of my fav games.

Emmy19-699054
16th Jan 2013, 11:16
While FF IX isn't my favourite FF, it still holds a special place in my heart. Beautiful artwork, quirky and likeable characters and a story that gives the message, "You are awesome and life is awesome!"

skyress
27th Mar 2013, 20:42
does anybody know if FFXI unlimited seekers collection comes with the game and the expnsions or is it just the expansions

theinertiaticsun
1st Apr 2013, 13:51
i wanna see a IX remake for the ps4..cmon

member_10730989
4th Apr 2013, 01:14
My favorite of all the series (Y) best OST ever, i've played the game several times
even now that my psone is dead i play it on my psp owo

member_10665580
4th Apr 2013, 02:02
I love the game. I just finished it in December. I played Dissidia first and I really liked Zidane, but after playing the actuall game, Zidane and Garnet are my favorite couple (next to Yuna and Tidus and Cecil and Rosa, etc.) But yeah, the soundtrack, the characters, the storyline! Who didn't enjoy Kuja as a villian? I agree with Tiael there, too. I really love dragoons, too ever since Kain Highwind, Cid Highwind and Kimahri Ronso, etc! (Jump FTW~)

SoulEaterQUEEN
11th Apr 2013, 18:34
I have so much respect for this game. This game was the first Final Fantasy in main series I have played (I did play Final Fantasy Adventure on the Game boy before that but I would like to think that doesn't count). Since then, I have been hooked to the series, AND I have been hooked to RPGs in general. Also, this game is one of the most replayed game in my library -- my memory cards really show that!

TheSquig-297101
18th May 2013, 12:02
I love it. while ff7 remains my favorite for nostalgic reason i do consider 9 to be the best game in the series. They nailed pretty much everything in this one. Its sad that no entry has managed to deliver since 9 so for me it has also come to represent the final chapter in the series. Thats my own (very subjective) opinion of course.

member_10628694
18th Jun 2013, 16:41
Nine is actually my favorite game in the series and I love the character arcs that drive it on. ^^

Pringer_DX
24th Jun 2013, 08:45
I really enjoy Final Fantasy IX. I'm actually playing it right now and it's really fun. My favorite characters would have to be Freya, Vivi, and Cid.

Although, I'm not sure if its because I've played "faster games," but even on the fastest settings I still find the battle speed to be average. It only "feels" fast when I'm eating and playing at the same time so I have to be on my toes.

For example:

Me: -eating meatballs- -looks at plate- -looks back at sceen- "OH SNAP! VIVI IS DEAD! I GOTTA REVIVE HIM NOW!"

The story and music are fantastic. My favorite song would have to be between the theme of Burmecia or the theme of Lindublum.

Also, hasn't anyone wondered how Garnet's mother is ugly but she came out so pretty?

alanman178
24th Jun 2013, 20:42
Also, hasn't anyone wondered how Garnet's mother is ugly but she came out so pretty?

The Queen is not Garnet's real mother. Think back to the dream Garnet had at the very beginning of the game.

Grimoire
25th Jun 2013, 19:31
But Sarah DID look exactly like the queen's hornless child. Or so they say.

Pringer_DX
28th Jun 2013, 17:03

The Queen is not Garnet's real mother. Think back to the dream Garnet had at the very beginning of the game.

I suppose you're right.

alanman178
28th Jun 2013, 19:51
But Sarah DID look exactly like the queen's hornless child. Or so they say.

"They" are wrong! ALL wrong, I tell ya! lol It's been a while since I've played the game. I can't remember the whole deal with that part of the story. I'll have to throw in FF9 again.

Grimoire
30th Jun 2013, 07:00
So you don't trust Dr. Tot?

[Tot: "That girl has a horn..."

"That horn..."

[Flashback]
"I had completely forgotten about it until now..."

"I'd never been as surprised as I was that day."

"A ship drifted ashore after a storm... Inside the ship were a woman and a baby girl..."

"The woman was dead, but the girl was still breathing..."

"Imagine my surprise as I looked into the girl's face!"

"Because the girl..."

"...looked exactly like Princess Garnet, who had just passed away."

"With one exception..."

"She had a horn!"

"A human with a horn..."

"Where did she come from?"

"The king ordered the girl's horn removed."

"The girl cried out in pain..."

"He and his wife, Queen Brahne, decided to raise the girl as Princess Garnet..."

"But that girl who spoke to me... Could she be related to Princess Garnet...?"]

member_10214938
8th Jul 2013, 17:49
Best final fantasy ever imo. I love that game.

member_10214938
8th Jul 2013, 19:38
It's great.

Lindblum is indeed the most awesomest place in any video game and the cutscene as u go into lindblum for the first time is still the most memorable scene for any ff i've ever played. Does anyone ever start ff9 just to hear the opening music :)?

starsnostars
22nd Dec 2013, 18:50
Final Fantasy IX is my favourite game in the series and one of my favourite games of all time. Great game.

Monty267
13th Jun 2014, 19:00
14 years ago I was 9 years old. I had just finished Final Fantasy VIII and I got Final Fantasy IX for Christmas. I never got round to finishing it and before too long I lost the case. So I brought the game and used my old playstation 2 (Memory cards took me back lol) I have just 10 minutes ago finished that awesome, awesome game. It nearly brought a tear to my eye. I didn't train enough for the very last boss but I just managed to great through by the skin of my teeth to make the ending that much more satisfying. A absolute joy . Trying to avoid spoiler these past 14 years has been hard but it has been worth it. Thank you Squaresoft (Square-enix)

Bandersnadtch
16th Oct 2014, 23:55
My favorite character lineup was usually Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Amarant. Hardly ever used the rest.

I don't know what my favorite place was, but Lindblum was cooler than Alexandria easily. Treno was way cool, though, and the piano music kind of kicked it off for me as well, so that might be it. Still not sure, though.

The battles could have been better, it was pretty basic, but I had no problems with it at the time, that's purely out of retrospect. Trance, though, pissed me off. It was like "hey man, I was saving that" and then bam, you lost it to a spider or something. So there was that little design flaw, but that's ok.

I mainly remember how they communicated the environments and manipulated your perception of the story and your expectations of what was to come. In Burmecia, it was glum and dark and rainy, and in Treno it was ominous and corrupt, and Cleyra felt safe because it was sunny and a little bit floral. Those are just a couple of examples. They also, similarly, portrayed emotion better than in some titles, which is something I thought FF7 was lacking, as much as I liked it. Overall, I think it was very well made, especially for its time, even though the mechanics weren't necessarily innovative.

Also liked the mini-games. Even Tetra Master, once I figured it out (about 2 years ago, finally, when I looked it up)

square_art
23rd Jan 2015, 17:21
It was like "hey man, I was saving that" and then bam, you lost it to a spider or something
I agree, yep, it could happen :)
But anyway, FF9 is my favourite one. The world so unique, all those towns and characters just amazing. All mini-games are great and I liked that armour (weapon) -based skill-learning system very much