PDA

View Full Version : great game ! experiences of first play-through: 74h in HD3D

blackeye
4th Sep 2012, 19:47
hello all,

yesterday, i finished my first play-through of DX:HR in 74 hours, here are my experiences ... (less about the game, more about stereoscopic 3D)

when the end credits were running, and i saw the pictures of the creators, i felt they could be proud they created such a great game, and i realy want to thank them for that ! (might sound cheesy)
also, at the end of the credits the full intro song of the original DX was played, and it brought a big smile to my face

more than 10 years ago, i have played the original DX also in stereoscopic 3D (elsa revelator + CRT), and it was great:
the game itself already is one the best games ever, and if you then add the extra immersion of the stereoscopic 3D ... well, it's as good as it gets

that was also the problem with DX for me: there were the games you played before DX, but then there were only games 'after' DX ... and few could come close to DX (for me, closest would be STALKER:shadows of chernobyl)

for some reason, i have never been able to finish DX:IW, but i was thrilled when the DX:HR was announced and pre-ordered the game, but i just started to play 2 months ago :D
reason for that ?
i wanted to experience the game, like i did the original DX ... in stereoscopic 3D
(and it took me some time to assemble my 3d-system)

so after i pre-ordered the game, i went to gamescom in germany (last year) to play DX:HR in HD3D:
i have played for around 30 min, not to see if the game was good, but to get back that stereoscopic 3D feeling ...
i was far from impressed:
for some reason it felt 'fake', the anti-aliasing distracted me, the hud/interface was cool but felt like a gimmick, ...
i was not sure if it was because of the effect of HD3D, or because it was a passive stereoscopic 3D setup

so over the past months, i have bought a samsung SA950 27" 120hz monitor (which doubles as my tv) with active glasses, and and AMD radeon HD7970

about the screen:
the SA950 came with dual link DVI cable and active wireless glasses (still on the first battery), and it works great !
i heard you would need to connect with displayport to make it work, but the supplied DL-DVI cable works fine
it doubles as a tv, because it has HMDI in, so easy to connect with a digital decoder (but it has no integrated decoder/tuner nor remote control) ... on a side note, beware of the TA950, it has the same design, and an integrated decoder/tuner + remote control (it's a 'real' tv), but it does not accept a 120hz input signal from a computer
the monitor came also with free tridef DDD software to play games in 3D

so now i could test DX:HR in stereoscopic 3D: tridef DDD vs native AMD HD3D
because of my experience at gamescom, i was skeptical about HD3D ...
after a finally got it working, tridef DDD seemed to have a more real 3D effect for the environment, but i had framerate issues, the focus one the weapons was not that good, and the interface/hud was not in 3d (if i remember correctly)
so i gave HD3D a second change ... and this time, i was convinced :)
yes, the 3d effect of the environment was a little less, but the experience was smooth and 'whole':
i first thought the 3d effect of the interface/hud was a gimmick, but now, i would say it's an important part of the experience ... i felt fully immersed

the anti-aliasing that distracted me before at gamescom, might be because of their passive setup, because it has half the resolution of an active setup (interlaced)

one more thing about the immersion:
i lowered my resolution one step from native 1920*1080, and it made everthing just a little less 'crisp', just like you the effect you have with movies (film-effect ?), and it helped reduce the aliasing, and better for framerates :)

now, if you're still with me, about the game:
- when i started the game, i calmly explored the sarif industries building, talking with everyone, ... all while david sarif and others where telling me there was an emergency hostage situation and i had to get to the helipad asap ... i thought "yeah right, as if the game will not wait for me" :D ... then when i arrived at the transporter, and david told me: "many casualties, hostages are dead" :O ... uhoh because i waited to long ? ... i restarted and got to the helipad a lot quicker, and guess what: "the hostages where still alive" ... then you know you're playing a different kind of game
- i loved the city hubs ! the atmosphere, the exploring possibilities, the side quests ... i love to wander around, they where great
- normally, i don't touch 3rd person games (so i don't have expertise), but i found the cover-system work very well, also the takedown etc camera movement was nice
- the conversations where great, the emotions, the movements, the interactivity ... mostly, i first played what i preferred, then i replayed the conversation just to see what the other answers would give (for example, the conversation with officer Haas at the police department was 'deeply touching')
- hacking was just fun, i always hacked, even when i had the codes :D ... the best kind of hacking minigame i've seen, always the same system, but never repetitive
- i liked hints to the original DX: names, music (i stopped to listen to the radios), ladies toilet ...
- email messages where fun to read, like where a guy was victim to "offensive images showing explicit human sexual action involving farm animals" :D (or something), just to name one
- cool weapon animations
- the "end boss" was not really a challenge, but that was probably not necessary, because the real challenge came just after that :) ... picking an ending ... i probably pondered for 20 min about what ending i was going to choose (well aware that i was going to try them all anyway :D)
- the end movies where also very nice ... they reminded me of "koyaanisqatsi" (same style, same kind of emotional feeling)

to sum it up, i enjoyed it very much, and in my opinion, in it's onw way, it takes place next the original DX
so, i can now say "there are games, and then there is DX and DX:HR" :)

creators of DX:HR, thanks

kind regards,

ps: now the missing link !

hybridex
5th Sep 2012, 15:54
when the end credits were running, and i saw the pictures of the creators, i felt they could be proud they created such a great game, and i realy want to thank them for that ! (might sound cheesy)
also, at the end of the credits the full intro song of the original DX was played, and it brought a big smile to my face

- i loved the city hubs ! the atmosphere, the exploring possibilities, the side quests ... i love to wander around, they where great

- the "end boss" was not really a challenge, but that was probably not necessary, because the real challenge came just after that :) ... picking an ending ... i probably pondered for 20 min about what ending i was going to choose (well aware that i was going to try them all anyway :D)
- the end movies where also very nice ... they reminded me of "koyaanisqatsi" (same style, same kind of emotional feeling)

Congrats.. I totally agree. It's an awesome experience on HDTV, especially on the larger screen. Sight and sound, phenomenal, right.. Imagine on HD3D. I also agree the ending credits are a good touch. Being able to see all the folks up there in Eidos Montreal who made the masterpiece happen. So, imagine what's to come. Have fun on Missing Link.

I do encourage you to go back through the main game more. You'll get a better experience and find things and paths you didn't the first time. A lot of the experts on here could tell you, the bosses aren't that hard to beat. Especially Zhao at Hyron, you can pretty beat her in about 5 sec.. when you figure it out. You can pretty much beat all the other bosses in 20 sec or less. Of course, you won't know this the first couple times at it, but that's one major plus of the game. It's so diverse in ways of doing things..