PDA

View Full Version : Anbody gave "Syndicate" a spin? Also, Jensen, Clint Eastwood?

hybridex
8th Aug 2012, 17:27
As much as I enjoy playing DX.. I came across "Syndicate" while checking something else to occupy my time while we wait on DX4. Syndicate seems to be similar to DX, plot and all, aside from the year difference. I'm actually waiting delivery. Anybody gave it a wirl and can give insights? Much appreciated..

By the way.. also definitely can't wait for the DX movie to hit the big screen. I see plenty have contributed to the that thread already. Well.. hopefully, it is not a bust like having Marky Mark played Max Pane..

One last, anybody see a glimpse or resemblance of Jensen to Clint Eastwood in his hayday, voice and all.. back in his younger Dirty Harry and Good, bad and ugly days..

JCpies
8th Aug 2012, 18:52
Hah.

Ashpolt
8th Aug 2012, 20:16
Syndicate is terrible. I wrote a review here, (http://www.phasemonkey.co.uk/2012/03/party-like-its-1993-syndicate-single-player-review/) so anything I say would just be repeating myself.

Suffice to say: don't buy it. It is not like DXHR on anything more than a superficial level.

AlexOfSpades
8th Aug 2012, 22:00
Tried, hated, unninstalled.

Hope you didnt purchase it yet. If you did, try to trade it.

3rdmillhouse
9th Aug 2012, 20:54
It's so horrible everytime someone installs the new Syndicate, a kitten gets hit by a meteorite.

Clegane
9th Aug 2012, 22:58
Eastwood uses a 44 magnum. The best that can be used in this game is a 357 magnum.

Romeo
10th Aug 2012, 08:21
Eastwood uses a 44 magnum. The best that can be used in this game is a 357 magnum.
I think the gold plating adds another 14.3 calibres. Just sayin'.

hybridex
10th Aug 2012, 16:57
Seems it got many raved reviews, but so far, not looking so good from you guys. I guess I will have to give it a whirl. Worst is, yeah, I can trade it in and didn't cost that much. Much appreciated for the insight so far, folks.

By the way, for handgun wise, nowadays we have the .50 cal "mammoth killer" handgun that old Dirty Harry would've loved. Kinda makes the .44 a pea shooter.

AlexOfSpades
10th Aug 2012, 18:10
Expectations change a lot the tone of the game. If you expect the game to be really bad, you may get surprised because its not SO bad. (Like Deus Ex Invisible War, the way people on the internet act sounds like its the worst thing to ever exist, and hey, its pretty fun)

Maybe... maybe it will be fun.

JCpies
10th Aug 2012, 20:52
Maybe... maybe it will be fun.

Maybe if you've never played Half Life 2.

Romeo
12th Aug 2012, 00:27
Seems it got many raved reviews, but so far, not looking so good from you guys. I guess I will have to give it a whirl. Worst is, yeah, I can trade it in and didn't cost that much. Much appreciated for the insight so far, folks.

By the way, for handgun wise, nowadays we have the .50 cal "mammoth killer" handgun that old Dirty Harry would've loved. Kinda makes the .44 a pea shooter.
I assume these are the same individuals who gave the last 29 Call of Duties, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed: Shift 10s? If so, disregard said reviews.

AlexOfSpades
12th Aug 2012, 01:13
Oh! Excuse me, Romeo, but what's wrong with NFS: Shift?

No, really, i love that game.

FrankCSIS
12th Aug 2012, 04:39
Syndicate Plus was the very first game I purchased for my very own first PC (yeah, I was a console kid). I can't possibly play this remake. Too many fond memories of a truly fantastic little gem to give this generic thing a chance.

You'd think that with touchscreen tablets, PSP's and other portables, the market would've been ripe for a true Syndicate update, instead of this. Oh well. Call me cranky! There's still some Kickstarter hope!

hybridex
12th Aug 2012, 18:00
I assume these are the same individuals who gave the last 29 Call of Duties, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed: Shift 10s? If so, disregard said reviews.

Haven't tried any you mentioned.. I guess you gotta a true gamer to really get into all those game. I'm pretty selective when it comes to games.

hybridex
12th Aug 2012, 18:08
Never played Half life 2 or the first one. I saw previews on those, but didn't grab my interest. I guess Amazon.com did a good job or marketing/advertising Syndicate, because they made it seem like an enjoyable game, much like DX. It has 4-stars rating on there. I also checked out other sites of reviews. After checking Ashpolt's review (good piece of writing, btw) and seeing other similar comments, maybe I'd been duked?!

JCpies
13th Aug 2012, 08:15
Never trust advertising, even advertising for good games.

ZakKa89
13th Aug 2012, 14:41
Never played Half life 2 or the first one. I saw previews on those, but didn't grab my interest. I guess Amazon.com did a good job or marketing/advertising Syndicate, because they made it seem like an enjoyable game, much like DX. It has 4-stars rating on there. I also checked out other sites of reviews. After checking Ashpolt's review (good piece of writing, btw) and seeing other similar comments, maybe I'd been duked?!

play Half Life 2

now

hybridex
13th Aug 2012, 23:48
I will not be bullied.. haa! So, I take it, it's that good? Maybe after I'm able to actually get Missing Link DLC to actually work and have mastered that, then afterward, I would probably give it a try.

JCpies
14th Aug 2012, 08:40
You should send Syndicate back and use the money to get HL2.

ZakKa89
14th Aug 2012, 09:12
I will not be bullied.. haa! So, I take it, it's that good? Maybe after I'm able to actually get Missing Link DLC to actually work and have mastered that, then afterward, I would probably give it a try.

Half Life 2 will suck you into it's world from the very start. You will not simply feel like playing a game, that's how immersive it is. The gameplay is top-notch, and still unrivaled in the singleplayer FPS-genre in my opinion. We did a best game of all time thread here on this forum and Half Life 2 was pretty high up the list.

about Syndicate, tried it for maybe half an hour. Did not like it at all, console FOV, obnoxious HUD, and shooting did not feel satisfying. Same goes for FEAR 3 and many other fps games that came out in the last couple of years.

melantissera
14th Aug 2012, 10:41
You should send Syndicate back and use the money to get HL2.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!
Not Played Half Life Series? You Should............:mad2:

JCpies
14th Aug 2012, 11:54
Half Life 2 must be the best linear shooter on the market.

68_pie
14th Aug 2012, 12:43
Half Life 2 must be the best linear shooter on the market.

Half-Life 1 disagrees with you :p

3rdmillhouse
14th Aug 2012, 19:25
Never played Half life 2 or the first one.

http://i.qkme.me/3ojkml.jpg

Gizmostuff
14th Aug 2012, 21:00
Am I the only one who found Half Life 1 and 2 very linear in terms story line and game play. I guess I was just spoiled by Deus Ex. I've come to the conclusion there will never be a game like the original.

JCpies
14th Aug 2012, 21:20
Am I the only one who found Half Life 1 and 2 very linear in terms story line and game play. I guess I was just spoiled by Deus Ex. I've come to the conclusion there will never be a game like the original.

It's meant to be linear, and it does it well. It's not like modern games where you're given little control over anything and there's literally no challenge or enjoyment involved.

hybridex
15th Aug 2012, 21:29
I guess half life and other linear shooter games never interests me cause I'm not into linear shooter games. Even other shooters like HALO and Call to Duty, it just doesn't interest me. I grew up gaming and pretty much had every console system from all the Ataris, Nintendo, Sega, Commodore.. you name it and I had always been in games where you can go anywhere, do many things and in different ways. Like DX, GTA, even Hitman (can't wait for Hitman: Absolution, btw.. that look so bad ass!), you have many ways of going the game and many ways of doing things. But hey, not knocking those that are into shooter games. To each it's own.

AlexOfSpades
15th Aug 2012, 22:25
Half Life develops from survival-horror, to a tactical shooter (against the grunts) to a twitchy action platformer (around Xen). Its a great game for its time and very fun.

I wouldnt call it linear. There's a lot of exploration (that are well rewarded). Remember the On a Rail chapter? That was more like a maze. Here's my opinion about why modern players wont like Half Life:

I don't know what the big deal with Hamlet is, it's just one famous saying after another.

Think about that.

hybridex
18th Aug 2012, 15:47
Holy crap! You guys are all right on.. Syndicate blows big time. I figured to give it a try and had to cut it off after the initial mission completed. I couldn't bare to continue on. I don't think I can send it back for a trade-in. That would mean it will available for someone else and I don't want that on my conscious mind..

JCpies
18th Aug 2012, 21:01
If you're in London I'll take it off your hands and give you enough money to buy Half Life 2.

If not, but Half Life 2.

Ashpolt
19th Aug 2012, 17:16
Why, why, oh why did you still buy it after everyone on here said it was terrible? What was the point in asking for opinions if you were just going to buy it anyway?

<<Insert facepalm image here>>

sonicsidewinder
19th Aug 2012, 17:56
lol

Surely Starbreeze will now read his latest comment and donate the money he paid to Saving Bengal Tigers, knowing that the money is tainted by the fact the customer was not happy?

Either that, or the money paid will go toward a bunch of BS statistcs showing why there should be a Syndicate 2...

JCpies
19th Aug 2012, 20:28
Ashpolt, he said he was "waiting delivery" in the first post.

Kinda stupid asking after the money is gone.

hybridex
20th Aug 2012, 18:18
JCpie, you're right on there.

Ashpolt, even though you did a good review and now that I took in the game a bit, your review is pretty right on. I had to check it out myself, though, since I already brought it and after seeing other mixed reviews. That's pretty much it. I wanted to scope out what you all have to say about the game while awaiting the delivery and the reviews/ads really gave it similar to DX, plot and all. It's not really about whether I should or should not buy it. It's not really a bad deal. It's only about the same price as the Missing Link. To me who isn't a shooter game fan, yeah, it's not that good and I have no interest to continue the game. Well, I'm sure those who are into HALO or Call of Duty or the like, will probably like it. Also, seems the developer tried to mimic DX with alot of parts of the gameplay, character movements, and options, but it doesn't add up at all..

halo666
20th Aug 2012, 22:54
So I take it I'm the only one here who enjoyed syndicate? I'll agree the main campaign blows but the co-op missions are at least fun for letting off some steam by shooting people with ridiculous ease (auto aim headshot ftw).

JCpies
21st Aug 2012, 09:10
I'll agree the main campaign blows but the co-op missions are at least fun for letting off some steam by shooting people with ridiculous ease (auto aim headshot ftw).

But you might as well just watch videos of people being shot in the head.

ZakKa89
21st Aug 2012, 11:38
Seriously play half life 2.

hybridex
23rd Aug 2012, 15:32
So I take it I'm the only one here who enjoyed syndicate? I'll agree the main campaign blows but the co-op missions are at least fun for letting off some steam by shooting people with ridiculous ease (auto aim headshot ftw).

There it is, I rest my case. Those who are into HALO would like Syndicate. Your'e right. It had good rating and reviews for the co-opt. If you're into shooter games, then this is definitely for you.

[QUOTE=JCpie;1792171]If you're in London I'll take it off your hands and give you enough money to buy Half Life 2.

Haaa! believe me.. money isn't the issue. I'd seen preview for Half Life 1 and did not appeal to me. I maybe a bit biase here, but I rarely go for follow-on games if the first is not good or appealing to me. DX1 with JC Denton got me hooked. Though I haven't played Invisible war and I didn't find out about DX3 until a couple months ago (yeah, I was hiatus in a cave in a foreign land for awhile), I had to get DX3 and well.. I am more hooked with DX3 and can't wait for the movie and what wonders Eidos will have come next with DX4. Btw, awesome previews of London with the London games..

ZakKa89
24th Aug 2012, 10:14
why the hell aren't you playing half life 2 yet?

Zerim
24th Aug 2012, 10:19
HALF-LIFE 2 SUCKS

THIS IS MY OPINION AND I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPS

JCpies
24th Aug 2012, 18:05
Your opinion is invalid, because causality and subjectiveness.

Daedatheus
25th Aug 2012, 07:13
why the hell aren't you playing half life 2 yet?

The problem with HL1 and HL2 is exactly what was mentioned earlier. Everything these two games introduced was so iconic and in many cases original for its time that countless games have copied bits and pieces so that if you didn't play them at or near their original release, they feel derivative and unoriginal. Which of course is completely backwards, because they set all those standards.

This of course doesn't hold them back from being very solid, engaging FPS for the uninitiated. But the uninitiated may not learn to love them quite as deeply as the rest of us... ;)
The atmospheres of each game are also well-crafted, focused and hold up today IMO. The pacing is also top notch, rising and falling tension in fine measure.

OH AND THEY'RE VALVE GAMES SO YOU'RE GETTING 100x YOUR MONEY'S WORTH WITH A LIFETIME'S WORTH OF FREE MODS OUT THERE.

...What's "Syndicate" again?

JCpies
25th Aug 2012, 07:49
Half Life 2 felt fresh to me, despite playing it in 2012. It's just so much better than many other shooters.

ZakKa89
25th Aug 2012, 08:51
The problem with HL1 and HL2 is exactly what was mentioned earlier. Everything these two games introduced was so iconic and in many cases original for its time that countless games have copied bits and pieces so that if you didn't play them at or near their original release, they feel derivative and unoriginal. Which of course is completely backwards, because they set all those standards.
[/I]

I don't agree. There is no game of the same quality that came out after half life 2.
I know enough people that played Half Life 2 in a later stadium and it instantly became their favorite game. Never ever have I read or heard any complaint that HL2 by now feels unoriginal and derivative. There is just no way. No FPS uses a physics engine for puzzles like hl2 does. No game will give you weapons which actually feel different from eachother and are needed for different situations.

Yes, a lot of games tried to copy some elements, like Bioshock with gravity gun like power. But there is no way hl2 will feel derivative and unoriginal by now, because it still is the best. Still is good looking (espesically with the graphical update). Still is unrivaled in pacing, lineair gameplay, etcetera. That's why it's still being replayed by it's fans. I wouldn't say anything came close to HL2 since it's release .

hybridex
25th Aug 2012, 16:54
That's cool. We definitely got some true Half life 2 fans here. Sounds like a pretty good FPS game. I wonder, though, how it compares to HALO. HALO's gotten so much publicity, but you don't really hear much on Half Life 2's as far as trailer and ads. Although, Half Life 1 received a good reviews on the TV's Best 100 video games.

Syndicate-wise, yeah, if you're a linear FPS fan, then you'll like it. Thinking back, I actually should had rented it first.

JCpies
25th Aug 2012, 17:46
I must say that I think Half Life 2 and Halo are quite similar, however Halo lacks the atmosphere and immersion of Half Life and it lacks the puzzles and exploration. I do like Halo as far as FPS games go, it's a shame the recent ones were Xbox exclusives.

ZakKa89
26th Aug 2012, 00:06
That's cool. We definitely got some true Half life 2 fans here. Sounds like a pretty good FPS game. I wonder, though, how it compares to HALO. HALO's gotten so much publicity, but you don't really hear much on Half Life 2's as far as trailer and ads. Although, Half Life 1 received a good reviews on the TV's Best 100 video games.

Syndicate-wise, yeah, if you're a linear FPS fan, then you'll like it. Thinking back, I actually should had rented it first.

HL2 ****s on Halo. :lol:

Daedatheus
26th Aug 2012, 00:58
I always think of the HL games as the premier examples of linear FPS, done right. I hope HL3 blows us all away again.

Back on topic, I think Syndicate for all its failings had at least one really great moment. SPOILERS! When you find the doctor played by Rosario Dawson (sorry, forgot the actual character's name, they made her so much exactly like her actor) later in the game, and your pistol goes up against her head. The game actually creates a very cool moment where you as a human being are actually hesitating, not just you as a game character. The hesitation you may or may not feel to shoot her (and if you don't feel it, go see a therapist haha) is not scripted in, it responds to your actual feelings as a person on the other side of the screen.

Of course, whether you click to shoot or not, the same thing happens more or less, but it's cool that a choice exists there that actually elicits real judgment from the human being playing the game. It's like a less complex, less awesome version of the scene in DX1 where you confront Lebedev and Anna walks in, where you can take action in whatever way you like but the pressure's on and the game doesn't list your options on a big shiny objectives screen nor does it wait for you to decide.

Other than that you're just running along the rails blowing **** up in this game. With dubstep. I think that alone says it all. Eh, I had fun with it still, the facial animation was fairly good too and the voice acting was great thanks to their use of real actors. As an audio/music guy I really appreciate good sound design too, and the sound was pretty rich and engaging overall.

I had a problem with the unnecessary, gratuitous, unapologetic violence against civilians though. It might have had a place in a poignant game that actually contained morality and choice or at least narrative weight and philosophy, but here it was just kind of sick. Your character and the guy you work with are both real ****heads working for money, essentially, and the game makes no apologies for all these brutal murders. Yeah I know you kill him in the end, but the game is so superficial all that violence really doesn't say anything except "COOL! GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS ARE FUN!" Don't let the kids play it :)

hybridex
26th Aug 2012, 04:24
HL2 ****s on Halo. :lol:

Oh mono.. you may have opened a hornet's nest with diehard HALO fan here. Particularly JCpie.. although he doesn't seem to be the typical HALO diehard fan, he does favor HL2 over HALO. Gentlemen, if you must do battle, then a gentlemen's war, please... Haaa!

...all that violence really doesn't say anything except "COOL! GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS ARE FUN!" Don't let the kids play it :)

Well.. that and saving/getting the girl. Isn't that why we are so drawn to "mature" level games. Haaa!

68_pie
26th Aug 2012, 11:00
Oh mono.. you may have opened a hornet's nest with diehard HALO fan here.

Are there any here?

Romeo
27th Aug 2012, 17:08
Oh! Excuse me, Romeo, but what's wrong with NFS: Shift?

No, really, i love that game.
It is such a schizophrenic game. You can tell they wanted to go sim, but then noticed that making accurate physics is, like, really hard, and decided to just say "Screw it, just kill the traction on the cars". It's an arcade racer with no traction. Not as fun as an arcade, not as useful as a sim.

Haven't tried any you mentioned.. I guess you gotta a true gamer to really get into all those game. I'm pretty selective when it comes to games.
You really aren't missing much. They were chosen for receiving perfect scores, while being completely undeserving of those scores.

The point being, Syndicate is a genuine let down. It's not just a bad sequel (It's an absolute embarassment in that respect), but a fairly poor game in general, especially when compared to Deus Ex (Its closest competition).

hybridex
29th Aug 2012, 14:44
When you say, "..especially when compared to Deus Ex (Its closest competition)", I can't agree with that in any level. DX is in another league from Syndicate. DX is in the world series while Syndicate is trying to get out from the AAA.. Graphic, sound, sight, storyline; there is really no comparison..

Btw.. I am preparing a formal letter to the producers at CBS to bring Clint Eastwood on as Sarif for the movie. Haaa!

JCpies
29th Aug 2012, 18:39
I think Romeo is talking in sequel terms. Human Revolution was an excellent sequel in relation to Syndicate which was only related by name.

Romeo
31st Aug 2012, 01:26
I think Romeo is talking in sequel terms. Human Revolution was an excellent sequel in relation to Syndicate which was only related by name.
Bingo.

hybridex
1st Sep 2012, 14:56
"...was his name-o." Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm tracking though. Was no bad gesture or slam on you Romeo. I agree that Syndicate was a general letdown. Though, to be politically correct (not that I am much into politics), I believe it was a remake of the original Syndicate. What was it.. in the 70s, I believe? Either way.. I thought it was a failed copycat of DXHR. Let the record show.. I gave it a try and didn't lose much with the cost.

Romeo
1st Sep 2012, 18:03
"...was his name-o." Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm tracking though. Was no bad gesture or slam on you Romeo. I agree that Syndicate was a general letdown. Though, to be politically correct (not that I am much into politics), I believe it was a remake of the original Syndicate. What was it.. in the 70s, I believe? Either way.. I thought it was a failed copycat of DXHR. Let the record show.. I gave it a try and didn't lose much with the cost.
My issue with it was precisely the same as my issue with the XCOM remake: We have billions of shooter games every year [Citation Needed], and approximately four and a half strategy games, so to take two very enjoyable strategy games and turn them in to even more shooters isn't just disrespectful to fans - it's dumb marketing.

Also, you're polite in your responses, don't worry. Besides, I enjoy the debates.

hybridex
2nd Sep 2012, 16:02
Ahh.. true that! A good mind stimulating debate is always good, but I think there is no debate here. I think we're both in the same wavelength here with Syndicate being a general letdown to those who are into something more that just shooters. I being one of those.. just could not get beyond the overall FPS theme. I definitely agree.. you just cannot take a strategy or RPG and remake it into a shooter or FPS. Many fans of the original Syndicate have voiced the same. However, it tried its best to add some interactive features. In contrast, there is literally few to rare criticism of DXHR to DX1. DX1 was (and I'm sure still is to many fan nowadays) pure enjoyment in it own rights, and of course not a remake, DXHR just added on to the success and took gameplay enjoyable to a whole new level.