PDA

View Full Version : Will DX3 be ported to Linux?

Dead-Eye
3rd Aug 2012, 21:40
Huge news in the gaming world, Steam is coming to Linux.
http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/71
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

This mark's a pivotal moment in the world of open source software, most gamers I talk to say they would switch to Linux, but "you can't game with Linux!" and that's why they don't. With Valve supporting Linux, ATI and Nvidia no longer have an excuse to have crappy drivers for their Linux distributions. Which if you read Valve's blog on the topic, that was clearly the problem with game's on Linux. It had little to do with the Linux Kernel or OpenGL all that code was clean. After Nvidia fixed their drivers for Linux, left 4 dead 2 now runs faster on Linux 32 bit then it dose on Windows 7 64 bit, by about 40 fps.

They even learned how to tweak the OpenGL on windows to get close to the same FPS as they do on Linux, and quit a bit faster then Direct-X.

So with Valve "jumping ship" on windows 8, will other developers do the same?

Linux dose a lot of things better then windows, but it's Achilles Heel has always been it's lack luster gaming support. That just changed.

Will a large majority of gamers switch to Linux and never look back?

I think this is a mirror reflection of what's going to happen with this whole New World Order scenario too. Windows (The Illuminati) is all like "We ARE GOD!" And Gabe Newell is all like "No your not" and AMD, NVIDA and Intel are all like "yeah, we agree with Newell, no your not... but it was a pleasure doing business with you!" and windows is all like "YOU WILL HAVE KILLSWITCH" and JC Denton is all like "You can suck on my Tracer Tong killswitch Windows Illuminati"

and JC Denton saves the world...

Wait, I'm confused, what was I talking about? Oh yes...

So the main question, to relate this all back to DX3 is, will DX3 be ported to Linux? According to valve it isn't actually all that hard, even less so since they just fixed the primary problem with all games that run on Linux. And it's faster!

Thanks.

xaduha
3rd Aug 2012, 23:37
Will a large majority of gamers switch to Linux and never look back?

Nope

So the main question, to relate this all back to DX3 is, will DX3 be ported to Linux? According to valve it isn't actually all that hard, even less so since they just fixed the primary problem with all games that run on Linux. And it's faster!

We use a modified abstraction layer (based on the original Mac OS X work) that translates Direct3D calls to the proper OpenGL calls. This layer has received the most work but changes have also been made above this layer that resulted in improved performance.

As I understand this layer works only with Source engine. Sure, they'll release Steam for Linux, there will be another icon there http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/images/v5/platforms/platform_steamplay.png, but I'd call it evolution, not revolution.

Feral Interactive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_Interactive) ported HR to OS X, but it's not available in Steam.

Some not so expensive, but powerful Linux box as a next gen gaming platform from Valve, on the other hand...

3rdmillhouse
4th Aug 2012, 00:27
Well, Gabe Newell is comited to make Steam work on Linux.

Jerion
4th Aug 2012, 03:47
Feral Interactive already got it running under OpenGL for the OS X version, so it wouldn't be a huge leap (well, not as big anyway) to go from OS X to Linux. Would really come down to whether or not Square Enix decide to support it. They support Ouya, so who knows.

Dead-Eye
4th Aug 2012, 04:07
I find it kinda ironic that they are porting to Ubuntu, which in my opinion is the worst Linux distro out there. It's not really that big of a deal, because if it will run on Ubuntu it will run on any other version of Linux. Still, Gabe's comment that the only reason desktop Linux has not broken into the market is because of the lack of games is only marginally true.

I think it has a lot more to do with Ubuntu being a terrible operating system.

Mike_B
4th Aug 2012, 08:06
Personally I don't see the point of valve developing for linux. If windows 8 does indeed turns out to be a catastrophe I think people will just stick with windows 7. I don't think people will suddenly go, oh let's install linux. If they don't want windows (8) and still want to play games I think they'll just switch to consoles instead.

Shralla
4th Aug 2012, 08:08
Valve isn't "jumping ship" on Windows 8 just because Gabe Newell doesn't like the start menu. The fact that he's worried about it at all means that Steam is going to be on Windows 8.

Dead-Eye
4th Aug 2012, 09:19
Valve has been distancing itself from Microsoft for awhile now. Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't support Direct-X 10 or 11, and there doesn't seem to be any effort on Valves part to port the source engine to Direct-X 10 or 11. Instead we see them supporting OpenGL and dumping further efforts into supporting Direct-X past 9, that's what I mean by "Jumping ship on Windows 8" because when Windows comes out with their next version of Direct X, valve will most likely not support it, as they can't use any of the features of DX10, 11, 12 on other platforms which they now support (Mac, Linux).

EA is also making noises that they might support other platforms besides just windows, namely Linux.

I just goggled Ouya...

I can't help but think this is part of something much bigger then normal people understand. Wither you believe it or not, Microsoft was obviously given a monopoly by the Illuminati on the computer market, and they have kept this monopoly strong by being in bed with Nvidia, intel, AMD, etc. Who would support windows before supporting anything else.

However now with Windows 8, which basically is the New World Order operating system for your computer, we see that a lot of corporations are moving to support Linux, even though it's not really a very good desktop operating system. Why now, I ask? I think these lesser corporations may have noticed that the general direction of these mega-corporations that own them and everything else is to start World War 3 and wipe out up to 90% of the worlds population. They also realized that these people, who mostly likely do refer to themselves as the Illuminati in privet conversation, are bat-**** crazy.

I think Nvida, AMD and Intel have been intentionally limiting their support of Linux because they, like Microsoft, are really controlled by the Illuminati. So the Illuminati enforce Microsoft's monopoly because that way they control the end user through their computers. But now, after realizing what the Illuminati is planing, most of these corporations are jumping ship. So all of a sudden, Valve is all like "Well, we ported left 4 dead 2 to Linux and low and behold, after working with Nvida to fix their drivers, we found out Linux is actually faster!"

Really? Gee wiz, it couldn't have been that Nvidia/AMD cards sucked on Linux because they were intentional limiting there potential to enforce the Illuminati's planes to take over the world, could it?

This whole scenario reminds me of that scene in the Rocketeer where the Mafia and the Police are working together to fight off the Nazi's... that's what I think might be going on here.

ItnhhQwapp4?t=2m59s

Dead-Eye
4th Aug 2012, 20:14
What? Are people afraid of the truth!!! :lmao:

I should mention all of the above is the "Theory" part of conspiracy theory.

It's also likely that Ubuntu sucks because Illuminati programer's go in and brake stuff, by making it look like they fixed stuff.

Ubuntu = We got you too?!!

Some self identified wing-nut told me that once.

Senka
5th Aug 2012, 00:56
Still going strong after all these years I see Dead-Eye...

If anything game developers need to change the standard to openGL rather than DirectX. Lots of indie devs use openGL already and support cross platform. Steam making this push is a big move, and it'd be good to see the trend continue. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath. It would be great to see other software support linux natively too. Unfortunately not only games are restricting me to windows.

Dead-Eye
5th Aug 2012, 01:46
I'm not going strong, the resistance is (http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=247807)!

Bring forth the Illuminati troll machines!!! I shall smash with my righteous hammer of freedom truth steel!

sonicsidewinder
5th Aug 2012, 03:04
... the resistance is (http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=247807)!

This...this can't be! :|

Dead-Eye
5th Aug 2012, 06:57
Yeah, seeing as it's FOX News and all... this basically means we "conspiracy theorists" basically... you know... won. :wave:

Mmmm... I can latterly feel the victory right now.

JCpies
5th Aug 2012, 08:05
Sonic Sidewinder is a banker too.

LYNCH HIM.

Shralla
5th Aug 2012, 18:11
Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't support Direct-X 10 or 11, and there doesn't seem to be any effort on Valves part to port the source engine to Direct-X 10 or 11.

Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the new engine they're working on, right?

Instead we see them supporting OpenGL and dumping further efforts into supporting Direct-X past 9, that's what I mean by "Jumping ship on Windows 8" because when Windows comes out with their next version of Direct X, valve will most likely not support it, as they can't use any of the features of DX10, 11, 12 on other platforms which they now support (Mac, Linux).

So they're going to stop providing proper support for the far and away largest section of their audience that spends the most money? That makes sense.

Dead-Eye
7th Aug 2012, 01:12
^^ I hadn't heard that Valve was working on a new engine, but even if they are, it will undoubtedly be cross platform from the starting line.

Really the ball game is in Microsoft's park, they look like they might be preparing to commit Seppuku on themselves with windows 8.