PDA

View Full Version : I need help... I can't into this game...

Number 2
26th Jul 2012, 06:20
Hello to you all. I have... an odd problem.

If you have the time and want to know about my past for the franchise, then read the spoilers.

If you don't have time, then you can skip the spoilers.

Let me talk about my past. My brother and I are always into PC gaming at the start of 2000s (we were under 12 years old). That is until I picked up PC Gamer magazine that had a full game, which is, Deus Ex: Game of the Year edition.

When I first booted up the game, I couldn't get into it because of how different it was. The environment was really dark and the game play was far more different than what we were used to. The games we used to play was Half Life and id Software games (Doom and Wolfenstein.)

When my brother tired the game, he died a couple of times. Then with a little practice he finally got into the game. Then after watching him play through the whole game, it was awesome. Multiple paths, multiple combat styles, multiple dialogues choices, multiple outcomes of the quests, and multiple endings.

In the end, we ended up playing it multiple times that we thought about getting the PS2 version. And it was fine. The CG endings was worth it.

The squeal, well, we were slow about it but we finally got the game. From my point of view, it wasn't bad, it was boring.

Then that is until I got into some mods for the Deus Ex 1. Hotel Carone was nicely crafted game. The Nameless Mod was awesome. And Malkavian mod is hilarious.

Then fast forward to almost when the Deus Ex: Human Revolution is about to release. It kind of felt awesome to already know so much about the game that other gamers have no idea about the series. Everytime I talk about the upcoming game, they have no idea what the game is about because they are probably the type to play popular FPS rather than something interesting.

I hardly make full purchase for videogames. Every time a game is released, I wait for the price to go down. But Deus Ex:HR was the 3rd(?) game were I had to pre-order it because I know I will enjoy it. I couldn't stop listening to Michael McCann's epic music and I couldn't even stop watching the trailers.

Now fast forward 11 months to today and I ... can't get into it. I wasted 70$ in the past only then to see a fresh copy for 20$ now (15$ for PC.)

I don't know what makes me not want to play the game. Every time I boot it up, my brain gets crushed over many things. I can only play it for a minute and stop playing it. I'm stuck at the point where I finally walk out of Sarif building.

My brain begins to calculate on how long it takes, by not just by total play time, but adding the time when I die multiple times. The loading screens might be an issue. There are moments were I have free time but now I don't even have the time to play the game (college and work.) My brain just wants to play something else instead.

Maybe the gameplay, everything feels more slow. When you pick up stuff from a dead corpse it promps up a menu and dragging the body is slow paced that I don't even want to bother with it. I don't know why, but somehow I feel like I prefer to old game feel instead.

Level designs feel a bit more complicated. My eyes are not quick enough to tell what is ahead and if the camera spotted me or not. This makes me want to reload the game so many times.

I even have the OnLive version which I also can't get into because lag=destorying atmosphere and also unplayable.

As of now I'm playing little of Monster Hunter, Vindictus, PSO2, E.Y.E. Cybermancy, and God Eater Burst. But Deus Ex: HR? I don't know if I can get into that game.

What you guys think?

JCpies
26th Jul 2012, 08:27
Maybe you want to see a doctor or adjust the game settings.

Edit: It's nice to have a proper Deus Ex discussion again so, I'll give another response.

I sort of understand where you're coming from, but I didn't experience this at all with Human Revolution. Sometimes, if I had been tired from school or school work, there were some games I could not be bothered with, if they have certain frustrating game mechanics or were just unwieldy controls, so I'd just go back to playing something with simple and fluid controls like Jedi Knight or Deus Ex where I had the freedom to move around and let off steam by putting weapons to use.

Unstoppable
29th Jul 2012, 05:05
I can understand you are used to the original Deus Ex. You have to forget about that though, this is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Totally different game engine, totally different development team, for the most part a totally different game.

Instead of trying to play Deus Ex 1, play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Learn to play it for what it is, not for what you want it to be. This is a new game and you will have to learn to play it again. Treat it like a totally different game and you will be fine.

Don't play while you are tired, play when you are rested. You bought the game so you might as well complete it.

sonicsidewinder
29th Jul 2012, 12:33
As of now I'm playing little of Monster Hunter, Vindictus, PSO2, E.Y.E. Cybermancy, and God Eater Burst. But Deus Ex: HR? I don't know if I can get into that game.

What you guys think?

Well, maybe you're playing too many games at once?

Gotta have focus.