PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Movie Update

TrueToOriginal
10th Jul 2012, 12:38
Well, looky here...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056377

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357324/deus-ex-human-revolution-movie-on-the-way/

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/deus_ex_3/news/deus_ex_movie_rights_secured_by_cbs_films.html

JCpies
10th Jul 2012, 13:56
I'm definitely interested, it is Deus Ex after all. I'm not going to expect an amazing adaption, but hopefully they'll work with the Human Revolution team and the film will represent the world and atmosphere well enough, if it even gets into filming.

I think it already has a more solid direction than the Hitman adaptation, even if the story is terrible hopefully we'll have at least some great eye candy with based on the original team's work.

Kodaemon
10th Jul 2012, 14:24
Not sure how you can say anything about the direction at all at this time.

JCpies
10th Jul 2012, 14:33
Not sure how you can say anything about the direction at all at this time.

Better get your eyes checked. I said "hopefully".

Kodaemon
10th Jul 2012, 14:36
I think it already has a more solid direction than the Hitman adaption

??

Also, it's adaptation.

JCpies
10th Jul 2012, 14:43
Don't worry, I've also been looking at getting my eyes checked.

68_pie
10th Jul 2012, 15:54
Variety really need to proofread and fact check their articles. And as I said in the News thread this isn't really significant - call me when they go into production.

Ashpolt
10th Jul 2012, 18:07
Game series defined by player choice.

Movie.

Nope.

Reven
10th Jul 2012, 18:14
So what do we think is going to happen?. Cancelled before production gets underway? or get's made and flops ?. Meanwhile Ubisoft has hired Michael Fassbender to star in Ubisoft pictures debut movie Assassins Creed.

Kodaemon
10th Jul 2012, 18:37
Development hell for the next decade probably.

Edit: actually, make that two decades, so by the time it gets cancelled it's an alternate history film.

Reven
10th Jul 2012, 19:05
Well once it's been through the upcoming 10 or so screen writers, two studios and endless directors including a short but weird stint with Tim Burton casting Johnny depp as Adam Jensen - and wanting to shoot the whole thing in 10mm monochrome before Eidos sees sense and Vetoes the whole thing. It truly will be alternate in every sense of the word.

Kodaemon
10th Jul 2012, 19:25
monochrome

That would actually be sticking to the source material.

xaduha
10th Jul 2012, 19:37
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21787303/images/dairy-cow.jpg

ZakKa89
10th Jul 2012, 23:03
no no no no no no no

68_pie
10th Jul 2012, 23:32
I can't wait for Keanu Reeves to be cast as Adam
Kill me.

68_pie
11th Jul 2012, 01:15
because the film adaptation isn't already being talked about in two threads...

Senka
11th Jul 2012, 02:46
Game series defined by player choice.

Movie.

Nope.

Hm. I agree it would be a total fail if they tried to put the events of the GAME into a movie, but if they simply did a movie in the Deus Ex world, it could work. Although I'd rather they not try since the track record of movie adaptations is quite bad.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2012, 03:10
I am already making a Deus Ex movie and i have 2 more stories after this one that i want to tell in the Deus Ex world. Good years are coming for the movieholic fans of Deus Ex.

xlee
11th Jul 2012, 04:59
CBS Films recently gained film rights for Deus Ex and so it will be adapted into a movie. This article (http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/07/cbs-films-wins-film-rights-deus-ex-video-game-franchise) further explains what's going on.

Romeo
11th Jul 2012, 06:35
CBS Films recently gained film rights for Deus Ex and so it will be adapted into a movie. This article (http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/07/cbs-films-wins-film-rights-deus-ex-video-game-franchise) further explains what's going on.
Uh, thanks tips, but we're all acutely aware already.

Boom, alliteration for all you mortals.

DXeXodus
11th Jul 2012, 11:20
I am always skeptical about game to movie remakes (And especially more so about the other way around). But there always exists a hope deep inside that they might actually just get it right. Lets hope that it turns out decent.

Ilves
11th Jul 2012, 11:30
It's weird, though. What can a Deus Ex movie do that a Deus Ex game couldn't? Besides reaching a wider audience?

Zerim
11th Jul 2012, 11:36
Best scenario:
They give it to Uwe Boll or someone who can tank the thing and make the whole fiasco go under the radar in a few months.

Worst scenario:
They make it into an amazing movie, people love it and critics rave about it, as a result hundreds of thousands of new players get attached onto the franchise, and the next DX game is now a third person cover shooter with QTEs and multiplayer in order to appeal to the broader audience.

Spyhopping
11th Jul 2012, 11:48
In the same way I welcomed a DX novel, I'm really interested in what a film could do with the story and tone of the games. Reaching a wider audience doesn't automatically turn the franchise to crap.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2012, 12:43
It's weird, though. What can a Deus Ex movie do that a Deus Ex game couldn't? Besides reaching a wider audience?

Have a more focused story. A game by default must be at least 15 hours long. Idealy, it should be 40 to 50.

While it's true that with that time games have way more story to tell (with all the emails and extra conversations is like watching the movie and read all the tie in books - stoy wise) and are of course way more immersive, (you are the hero, you don't just watch him) there are a lot of filler stuff for someone who just wants to enjoy a good story. That is because the game developers have to spread the story for 15-40 hours for gameplay reasons (as well as marketing, who would buy a 3 hour long game?)

Also there is the issue that some people are just not good at games. Why should they be excluded by the awesome DX universe?

Of course i would much rather have a Deus Ex game then a movie, but what i am saying is that movies have their uses!

Ashpolt
11th Jul 2012, 19:19
Have a more focused story.

You say more focused, I say shallower and more linear.

Also there is the issue that some people are just not good at games. Why should they be excluded by the awesome DX universe?

Because not everyone can have everything. I cant stand hip hop - should The Black Eyed Peas release a prog rock album so that I can enjoy their music too? No, of course not, that's a stupid idea. Take away a defining characteristic of something and what you're left with is no longer that thing. The "Deus Ex universe" isn't just what the developers created, part of it is made by me. And by you, and everyone else who played it.

Besides, it's not like there aren't plenty of decent cyberpunk films already, so people who don't enjoy games but do enjoy films have those to enjoy. The proper nouns won't be the same as in Deus Ex, but so what?

Shralla
11th Jul 2012, 20:27
I thought filmmakers were finally starting to figure out that a TV show is a much better outlet for any sort of prolonged, meaningful story.

xaduha
11th Jul 2012, 20:48
Yeah, how about full CG animated series? I'd go for that.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/sept/dxdrm4.jpg

But, that trailer was pretty expensive, wasn't it?

Spyhopping
11th Jul 2012, 22:24
Well, I would rather they invest the money, resources and writing power in a spectacular follow up game to HR, but I'm not complaining about it. They're probably going to invest big time in the game series from now on anyway. The biggest, most important part of the DX experience for me, is to become wrapped up in a gritty urban atmosphere and an intense story. They can deliver that in a film, even if it will be in different ways. It'll be a shorter, possibly more intense experience than that of a game.

I don't reckon they will revisit any old protagonists. Leaves them little breathing room, and they'll need a less blank protagonist than JC or Adam to drive the story.

HallucinogenX
11th Jul 2012, 23:07
I just hope Hollywood doesn't screw this one up like they screwed up other movies.They have a lot of responsibility.It's not easy to match the standards that Human Revolution has set.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2012, 23:18
You say more focused, I say shallower and more linear.

Because not everyone can have everything. I cant stand hip hop - should The Black Eyed Peas release a prog rock album so that I can enjoy their music too? No, of course not, that's a stupid idea. Take away a defining characteristic of something and what you're left with is no longer that thing. The "Deus Ex universe" isn't just what the developers created, part of it is made by me. And by you, and everyone else who played it.

Besides, it's not like there aren't plenty of decent cyberpunk films already, so people who don't enjoy games but do enjoy films have those to enjoy. The proper nouns won't be the same as in Deus Ex, but so what?

Imagine if they remade The Godfather as a video game. Would it make the story better to be panned out for 50 hours? No, the story in movies is not shallower, it just focuses on what is importand because they don't have to worry about gameplay. Everything is there that needs to be there. They don't have to make excuses to drag the story for 50 hours.

Linearity that comes with the movies also gives more focus. In nonlinear storytelling the writer, unless he has unlimited time and resources, has to acomodate for player choice so he can't do some things that may contradict the player choice. For example, the reason that Paul Denton was not a bigger part of the second half of the game was because the player could leave him to die. In a movie the writer could declare that Paul survives and give him a bigger role in the story. Linearity necessarily a bad thing. I mean DX is linear in comparison to Skyrim, but that just makes the story better. Not all stories have to be non linear.

"Maybe sometimes I don't want to create my own experience. Maybe I want to have an experience that's been carefully crafted by professional designers and artists." -Yahtzee

Each medium has it's own merits. Movies are just better (for the time being) at telling a story then games, with the exception of course of the original Deus Ex.

As for your other example about "not everyone can have everything" i will have to disagree to that too. Yes some things can't be done, like the Black Eyed Peas prog rock album, but if it can be done, what is wrong with letting people who can't play games, experience stories set in the world of Deus Ex? I don't believe that the defining characteristic of Deus Ex is that it is a game. Remember the threads when this forum started, about what is the core of Deus ex? Everyone had a different answer, and for a lot of people it was the story. It just happens that it was and was best served in game form.

Lastly the story of Deus Ex is quite unique and just because there are other cyberpunk movies out there, i haven't found anything close to Deus Ex. I think the public deserves to know about our world, even if they can't play games.

Jerion
11th Jul 2012, 23:44
Imagine if they remade The Godfather as a video game. Would it make the story better to be panned out for 50 hours? No, the story in movies is not shallower, it just focuses on what is importand because they don't have to worry about gameplay. Everything is there that needs to be there. They don't have to make excuses to drag the story for 50 hours.

Linearity that comes with the movies also gives more focus. In nonlinear storytelling the writer, unless he has unlimited time and resources, has to acomodate for player choice so he can't do some things that may contradict the player choice. For example, the reason that Paul Denton was not a bigger part of the second half of the game was because the player could leave him to die. In a movie the writer could declare that Paul survives and give him a bigger role in the story. Linearity necessarily a bad thing. I mean DX is linear in comparison to Skyrim, but that just makes the story better. Not all stories have to be non linear.

"Maybe sometimes I don't want to create my own experience. Maybe I want to have an experience that's been carefully crafted by professional designers and artists." -Yahtzee

Each medium has it's own merits. Movies are just better (for the time being) at telling a story then games, with the exception of course of the original Deus Ex.

As for your other example about "not everyone can have everything" i will have to disagree to that too. Yes some things can't be done, like the Black Eyed Peas prog rock album, but if it can be done, what is wrong with letting people who can't play games, experience stories set in the world of Deus Ex? I don't believe that the defining characteristic of Deus Ex is that it is a game. Remember the threads when this forum started, about what is the core of Deus ex? Everyone had a different answer, and for a lot of people it was the story. It just happens that it was and was best served in game form.

Lastly the story of Deus Ex is quite unique and just because there are other cyberpunk movies out there, i haven't found anything close to Deus Ex. I think the public deserves to know about our world, even if they can't play games.

Interesting. Deus Ex as a game experience is very much tied to player choice; it takes the medium's defining characteristics of interactivity and reactivity (Ashpolt's Phasemonkey article on this very issue is relevant here) and runs with them. However, the game's universe is, with the primary exceptions of the world-changing climactic choices at the finale of each game, largely independent of the games themselves. Deus Ex games structure the "What" of their plots fairly rigidly, leaving the "How" up to the player, right up to the very end, where the player has a rather dramatic choice with directing the last "What Happens" moment in the story. So...since the three games are set roughly 25-30 years apart from on another, and granting that a) there is no such event yet set in the canon the years preceeding DX:HR, and b) these events/games are far enough apart for any major differences in game-based player choices to be hypothetically hand-waved, there is plenty of room for a dedicated story in the universe, while remaining distinct from the events in the games themselves. A linear story can be told in this universe. James Swallow's Icarus Effect is an example.

Now...if only they find the right people to do it.

Ashpolt
12th Jul 2012, 00:12
Imagine if they remade The Godfather as a video game.

They did, and it was terrible. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfather:_The_Game) I'm not trying to say movies are inherently bad because they're short - I love movies as much as the next guy - but everything has its appropriate medium. For The Godfather, it's film (I'm aware it was a novel first, but the film is widely regarded as better than the source) and for Deus Ex it's games.

I could respond to the rest of your post point by point, but to be honest it'd just be different ways of reiterating that last paragraph. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

El_Bel
12th Jul 2012, 00:59
I'll agree that we disagree then. I'll give one final example though, not for arguing, just as a thought experiment. How could you tell an Anna Navarre story, or any other story of a strong Deus Ex character in a Deus Ex game?

I believe that it cannot happen, a DX game requires a blank state character to work, so the player can make his choises. I mean why give the player the freedom to go non lethal, when Anna would kill everythingin sight? If the player goes non lethal, who is he? Is he the last remnant of conciense in her brain? Or if you take away the freedom from the player, so you can have a stronger character is it a DX game at all? Isn't a movie a better medium to tell stories about strong characters?

And of course lets not forget that Human Revolution had a very very linear story, and in my opinion only one* (hidden) ending. What does that mean?

*whatever ending you choose, the secret ending happens and then we have DX.

JCpies
12th Jul 2012, 07:37
Translating video games to movies isn't really a great idea, and fans of the original will almost always be critical of it, however just because a video game's characteristics can't be translated into a movie, it doesn't mean the setting can't be.