PDA

View Full Version : Official TOMB RAIDER PC system requirements discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2

Lara Croft 1993
10th May 2012, 16:45
Edit by TranceTrouble - PC requirements are now available on Steam:

Tomb Raider PC System Requirements Revealed!

The PC version of Tomb Raider has been developed in tandem between Crystal Dynamics and long-time partner Nixxes, and we’re proud to be continuing this tradition. The relationship has spanned over a dozen PC titles, and dates back fifteen years. The PC edition also has the benefits of an ongoing partnership with AMD, with Tomb Raider extensively optimized to include unique AMD tech that supports AMD HD3D, AMD Eyefinity for capable PCs, and more.

So here it is – the full list of PC enhancements and features for Tomb Raider, including minimum and recommended system requirements!

System Requirements

Minimum system requirements for PC

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:*AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2*2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)*
Recommended system requirements for PC

Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870, nVidia GTX 480
Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2*565, Intel Core i5-750
4GB Memory*
PC Enhancements

General Features

Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
Gamepad support.*
High-end Graphics

Very high resolution textures with up to 16x the amount of data
Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
Higher quality shadows
High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.*
Low-End Graphics

Crystal cares about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.*

Chances are if you’re a PC buff, you’ve still got a handful of questions. In anticipation of some of the more common queries, we’ve tracked down the Director of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman. Take a read through our Q&A below.

Q: Does Tomb Raider support Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

“We felt it was important for all the Tomb Raider fans to be able to play the game, so we tried to keep our OS support as wide as possible. So unlike some other recent games we do still run on Windows XP as well as on Windows Vista, Windows 7, as well as Windows 8. We are not Windows 8 Certified, which is a Microsoft label they use on their store. However, we do test extensively on Windows 8 and are making sure Windows 8 users get a great game experience.”

Q: Is Tomb Raider a Steamworks title?

“Yes, Tomb Raider uses Steamworks for achievements, Steam Cloud save games, multiplayer match making, as well as leaderboards.”

Q: Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode?

“Yes, the game will definitely run in offline mode. However, you will obviously not be able to participate in multiplayer games in this mode.”

Q: If I purchase a boxed copy of Tomb Raider, does that mean I’ll still be able to play it using Steam?

“Every copy of Tomb Raider will integrate with Steam and use the Steamworks features; it does not matter where you bought it.”

Q: Will the game require the disc to be in the computer or is it able to directly download from Steam?

“Yes, when you buy the game in a store you will get a CD-Key for Steam. Just entering this code on your Steam account will allow you to download the game, so you do not necessarily need the disk. The disk is just there so you do not have to download all that data.”

Q: Will there be any DRM?

“We do not believe in strong anti-consumer DRM methods, so apart from the game using Steamworks and it having to be authenticated with your Steam account there is no additional DRM.”

Q: Does the game support 120 hertz?

“On hardware that supports this it certainly will. We do not restrict what refresh rate or frame-rate the game will run at, it will run at whatever frame-rate and refresh rate your hardware will be capable of performance wise.”

Q: What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?

“We support AMD Eyefinity as well as NVIDIA Surround to allow you to connect multiple screens and create very wide displays.”

If you’ve got additional questions, we’re planning a Q&A session (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133239) on the Official Tomb Raider Forums on Monday, February 25 at 10:00 AM PST. We’re also aiming to have some stunning new PC screens next week!

Register on the forums and arm yourself with questions!*

Edit by Driber - PC requirements are now available on Steam:

Processor: 2GHz Dual Core (Intel Core 2 Duo or better, AMD Athlon X2 or better)
Memory: 1 GB (Win XP), 2 GB (Win Vista/7)
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 / AMD Radeon HD 2900 or better

source (http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/)

-------------

Original post:

Hi everybody

I know this was probably posted before but i can't find it...
Can you tell me if you know what will be approximately Tomb Raider system requirements?
I have
-XFX Radeon HD 5770 graphic card
-A FX4100 processor
-5 GB RAM

Will i be able to play it on max settings?
I know official requirements are not known but if you know what is approximately please tell me.

Thanks

Shaikh
10th May 2012, 18:30
OMG! I got Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR3 GPU & 2GB RAM! How can I play!

CD didn't announce System Requirement. AFAIK it usually announced after release date.

TranceTrouble
10th May 2012, 19:58
i think you should be save with ram and your 5770 both big enough :)
for the processor i have no clue since i don't know it :p

Metalrocks
11th May 2012, 03:50
which company would reveal the specs after the release??
most of the time it gets said like a month before release. like we know now about max payne 3 (still cant believe that it requires over 35GB HDD).
so im pretty sure CD will announce it early enough.

im sure i can play it with my 7870 radeon 2GB RAM card, 8gb ram and i5-2400 3.1 Ghz CPU.

mts
12th Nov 2012, 20:15
Can you reveal the system requirements of the PC version (minimum and/or recommended)? A few upcoming games, for example Hitman 5 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II, won't be compatible with Windows XP. New Tomb Raider also?

Bets regards!

TranceTrouble
12th Nov 2012, 21:07
i wouldnt be surprised if it's not supported since MS has released Vista, WIN7 and now WIN8 so it is a old OS.

blackseed32
12th Nov 2012, 21:32
windows xp is really old. you should do an upgrade, most of the newer games work with directx 10 or 11

Shaikh
13th Nov 2012, 04:29
Windows XP doesn't support above DirextX9, so I can't see TR have Win XP support. :) PC is now next generation. Most of the AAA titles supports DirectX11. And Windows 8 will have DirectX11.1. :)

Its good that I play games on Windows 7. :D

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 06:09
yeah, as much as it sucks, you are really forced to get your self win7. XP is hardly supported by todays games. win/ is really good and so far no problems with any games. not even older once.

Elliot Kane
13th Nov 2012, 08:05
XP is a very good system, but there's no doubt it's becoming obsolete and less and less future games will be supporting it.

It's a bit much to expect games manufacturers to support XP, Vista, Win 7 AND Win 8, along with DX 9, 10, 11 and soon 11.1 (Which is Win 8 only).

I loved XP, but I love Win 7, too. XP's day, sadly, is done. (No comment on 8, though, for far too many reasons to list! :D).

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 08:24
yeah, Xp had a very good run but unfortunately its time to say good bye.
no idea about win 8 and to be honest, im not really eager to get it. as long win 7 works and will be supported for many years to come, i keep it.

Elliot Kane
13th Nov 2012, 08:33
Win 8 is being routinely attacked by games manufacturers for many good reasons, Metal.

MS seems to be attempting to lock down the PC as a proprietary system as if it were a console - which means attempting to lock out or sideline other companies, according to the companies. Not to mention the diabolical UI, which is nothing short of a joke. If I want my desktop covered in huge buttons, I'll do it myself!

Lots of support for X-Box, mind...

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 10:11
yeah, i know. i read it on escapist. one of the reasons why im not rushing to get win 8.
and yes, i dont want huge buttons either. im glad they always try out different things to give the impression that we are in the future, but doesnt mean it has to be forced on us.

Elliot Kane
13th Nov 2012, 10:57
Agreed. If the Metro UI was an option we could decide whether we wanted or not. I'd be fine with it. I like options, even ones I would not personally use. But as the only thing - no.

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 11:10
yeah, its a sad thing. when i had to get my self a new pc, i got my self vista. just to be sure. i dint really had any problems with it to be honest, but i have noticed that its a hard ware eater. wile win7 is more friendlier to hard ware. and older games worked again.

Elliot Kane
13th Nov 2012, 11:24
Most of the problems I've had with older games on Win 7 have been a result of the use of lousy DRM, which is not MS' fault. Certainly helped harden my line on acceptable DRM, though.

Speedster
13th Nov 2012, 12:24
hope i can max this game out easily with this:

MY PC SPECS:
Motherboard:Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU:Intel Core-i5 2400 3.1GHZ
Ram:HYPER-X KINGSTON 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660Ti Windforce O'ced Version 2GB
HDD:Seagate 1TB SATA III
Power Supply:Thermaltake 750 W

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 13:04
hope i can max this game out easily with this:

MY PC SPECS:
Motherboard:Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU:Intel Core-i5 2400 3.1GHZ
Ram:HYPER-X KINGSTON 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660Ti Windforce O'ced Version 2GB
HDD:Seagate 1TB SATA III
Power Supply:Thermaltake 750 W

lol, i think you will have no problems. im pretty sure my pc can handle things on highest settings.

Driber
13th Nov 2012, 14:01
I loved XP, but I love Win 7, too. XP's day, sadly, is done.

yeah, Xp had a very good run but unfortunately its time to say good bye.

Just for gamers who want to play the latest graphically demanding PC games, though.

XP is to this very day still the best OS of all Windows versions so far and it still has an enormous market share when you think about how relatively old it already is!

ppiwhj_cft1113_0857193dad8.png

I'm using XP myself and still quite happy with it :)

(As far as using a MS product goes, that is :p)

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 14:26
yeah, i know that XP is still used a lot. especially in companies/factories/stores. and i do agree, its really the best OS since 98.

yes, im a gamer and i had to upgrade so that i can play the latest games. at some stages, it was worth it. im still happy i got my self win 7. especially when i upgraded from vista to win 7 without losing all my files. :D

Elliot Kane
13th Nov 2012, 17:20
I would happily have stuck with XP myself, but it's limited in the RAM it can use and sadly being phased out in more recent games.

Everyone skipped Vista and went straight for Win 7, which tells you all you need to know about Vista! :D

I suspect Win 8 will be similarly skipped.

As Driber's chart proves, MS are simply bringing out their new operating systems FAR too fast. Most people don't get a new operating system unless they get a new computer, and who seriously gets a whole new machine every 2-3 years?

Metalrocks
14th Nov 2012, 06:25
very true. as soon they brought out the latest OS, they already announce the next OS. i mean, seriously; you just got used to the OS and then you are almost forced to use the new one. and it takes actually some time. switching from XP to vista was different to me. took me a wile to find half the stuff i want or use.

btw, this video is so true and funny :D
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/2516-Every-OS-Sucks

Mike_B
14th Nov 2012, 09:04
I think it's understandable if Win XP won't be supported. Despite it still having a large market share it's old and I guess it's easier for the developers if they have less OS'es to support.
Depending on what you use your pc for, winXP still has it use and it's supported by MS until somewhere in 2014. I'm still seeing it used a lot in the companies/schools I did IT for.

As for Vista many companies skipped it anyway since it takes a lot of planning to implement a new OS, usually IT also waits until the first service pack is released. Under the hood the difference between Vista and 7 isn't that big though.

I made the switch to windows 7 about a half year ago and I'm happy with it so I'm sticking with it. I believe it's supported until 2020 (and if the popularity equals winXP MS will probably be forced to extend it) so no need for Windows 8. Personally I don't see the touch approach working in a business environment but time will tell.

Driber
14th Nov 2012, 15:03
and who seriously gets a whole new machine every 2-3 years?

I know some people :whistle:

Elliot Kane
14th Nov 2012, 16:06
I know some people :whistle:

They must have a LOT of money!

I'd say I envy them, but... I don't think it's really necessary. A good machine should last at least five years, maybe longer with upgrades.

Barring some stunning new tech breakthrough, of course.

Metalrocks
15th Nov 2012, 05:15

I'd say I envy them, but... I don't think it's really necessary. A good machine should last at least five years, maybe longer with upgrades.

Barring some stunning new tech breakthrough, of course.

thats what i do. i keep my pc for as long as possible until it really doenst work anymore (like my last one which lasted over 5 years) or really cant keep up with modern games anymore.

Lara Croft 1993
24th Nov 2012, 13:12
thats what i do. i keep my pc for as long as possible until it really doenst work anymore (like my last one which lasted over 5 years) or really cant keep up with modern games anymore.

Hey Metalrocks,can you tell me how much approximately would Intel i5 2500k and Radeon HD7870 will last (i will change it when i wont be able to play it on medium settings)?

Metalrocks
24th Nov 2012, 13:36
Hey Metalrocks,can you tell me how much approximately would Intel i5 2500k and Radeon HD7870 will last (i will change it when i wont be able to play it on medium settings)?

it depends from the stores and the country. i got mine from hong kong and i payed for a motherboard, cpu, 2x 4 gb ram sticks, graphic card and win 7 64bit version, over 8000HKD (1000AUD).
i cant give you the details how much each part costs in HKD because i dint bother to take the receipt back with me to australia.

but to give you a ruff cost, the card alone is 270AUD and the cpu (mine is a i5 2400) is nearly 200AUD.

but make sure your motherboard can actually support this chip set. you can read it in the manual of your motherboard or even google it.

hope i could help.

mts
5th Jan 2013, 20:44
Do you have fresh news?

pidipidi39
5th Jan 2013, 23:22
Nope :(

Metalrocks
6th Jan 2013, 10:19
we are still waiting for it. but it shoulndt take too long now. maybe next month they might inform us.

oldboy2003
6th Jan 2013, 10:33
I dont own a PC so i dont know a lot about this but i thought you just put the game in and adjust the settings on the main menue?

XylophoneDealers
6th Jan 2013, 10:38
You may have to have certain amount of harddrive, or graphics cards. Just basically can the computer actually take the game.

JDN8R
6th Jan 2013, 10:40
Isn't Tomb Raider running a slightly modified version of Underworld's engine? Shouldn't take much more to run if you can run Underworld.

jaywalker2309
6th Jan 2013, 11:26
Its less then 2 months to go folks. Hoping can get some concrete info soon, but i have an inkling that XP users will still be happy :)

Metalrocks
6th Jan 2013, 12:36
I dont own a PC so i dont know a lot about this but i thought you just put the game in and adjust the settings on the main menue?

lol. there is more to it then just adjusting the settings in the menu. if your pc doenst have the right requirements (hardware), the game will either not run at all or have problems like lagging or crashes.

if you look at the box of a pc game (or on steam) and read the requirements, you will see what it needs to run the game. you have a "minimum requirement" and "recommended requirement".
how much HDD space it needs, what type of graphic card it supports, OS, CPU, RAM, etc.

yes, we pc gamers have to fiddle around more but once you have a very good pc, it will last for a long time and we dont have to make any upgrades besides installing new drivers every now and then which are for free anyway.
but we can enjoy better graphics, faster loading times (as long the game has been properly ported for pc), for shooters sake; better controls with M&K.
in short, we can enjoy the full potential of the game like graphics that a console cant do. and for this, we need the right stuff to make it happen.

Its less then 2 months to go folks. Hoping can get some concrete info soon, but i have an inkling that XP users will still be happy :)

thats good to hear. im sure we will get the info few weeks before release. but still would be good to know what the ruff requirements would be.

XylophoneDealers
6th Jan 2013, 14:19
Just waiting for the 8th. That's the new information cluster for MP maybe we will get some more info.

Driber
6th Jan 2013, 14:27

...or they are fanatics who spend way much more than they should, or their hardware breaks down, or etc....

Heh, in theory this always sounds so promising when PC gamers claim this, but what a lot of people will discover is that PCs need constant upgrading to keep their PC top-of-the-line.

Just a few years down the line and all the new technology usually forces people to play the latest games on lower settings in order to keep things running smoothly.

Unless of course you really go extremely high end from the start. But then we're talking 10,000 dollars range.

A "good" gaming rig (400 dollars range, for argument's sake) is simply not going to last 5 years and perform the same at the end of those 5 years as on day 1.

Not that we will ever agree on that, of course ;)

Elliot Kane
6th Jan 2013, 18:36
...or they are fanatics who spend way much more than they should, or their hardware breaks down, or etc....

Too true! The only people I know who upgrade all THAT often is because they work with computers and have to.

Heh, in theory this always sounds so promising when PC gamers claim this, but what a lot of people will discover is that PCs need constant upgrading to keep their PC top-of-the-line.

Just a few years down the line and all the new technology usually forces people to play the latest games on lower settings in order to keep things running smoothly.

Unless of course you really go extremely high end from the start. But then we're talking 10,000 dollars range.

A "good" gaming rig (400 dollars range, for argument's sake) is simply not going to last 5 years and perform the same at the end of those 5 years as on day 1.

Not that we will ever agree on that, of course ;)

Well, of course not! :D The day we agree on the merits of PC vrs consoles is the day of the apocalypse for sure! :D

The PC does have one major advantage right now, though - which is that most games are made for cross-port, which means they have to work on current gen consoles, which are so far behind even an average PC that the chance of a PC being challenged is almost laughablly non-existent! :D

When the next gen of consoles hits, chances are PCs will still be better. But it'll be a lot closer, and then the painful upgrading will begin! :D

That saying about getting what you pay for is so very, very true when it comes to all things computer!

Valenka
7th Jan 2013, 02:38
Can you reveal the system requirements of the PC version (minimum and/or recommended)?

They haven't been released yet.

jaywalker2309
8th Jan 2013, 15:09
They haven't been released yet.

we're still working on them

Shaikh
8th Jan 2013, 15:40
we're still working on them
Really glad to hear that. Hopefully Nixxes will do a great job with the optimization. :)

Relight-TRHQ
8th Jan 2013, 19:19
Best news I've read all day! A huge relief, can't wait for the official specs confirmation.

Here's where I come in on this whole thing - why should games not be able to run on XP? After all, they run on the Xbox 360 and the PS3! Yes, I understand there's a lot to take advantage of on post-XP operating systems, but surely if games are made to run on the PS3, they can be made to run on XP and take advantage of the memory and graphics of newer operating systems.

Heck, there's still games that do not even take advantage of an XP PC's power and look the same as they look on the consoles.

mts
23rd Jan 2013, 15:28
Do you have fresh news?

Relight-TRHQ
23rd Jan 2013, 15:39
Do you have fresh news?
The second-last podcast had some good information about why the PC specs are taking a while to release, if you haven't read this yet:

Karl Stewart: What I’d say about PC requirements… I’m sure everybody has heard this a million times before from other developers as well. You build the games in tandem, but you will allow yourself some more time on the PC SKU, purely because there’s a smaller submission timeline for it to go to master. What we mean by that is, there’s a period of time when we have to lock off our console versions. We have to submit them to either Microsoft or Sony, and they have to review the game. Then there’s a back-and-forth. Generally that takes anywhere from six to eight weeks, all’s said and done. Could be shorter, could be longer. We can put the PC version up on Steam 72 hours in advance. Or any digital versions for that matter. If there’s something that needs to be patched, we can patch it as often as need be. Hopefully you never have to do that, but as we all know, on day one there’s normally just a nice little update to fix some little tweaks. With the PC version… You’re kind of afforded a little bit more time, and as a result of that, what we try and do is make sure that we lock down the goals and the core elements in our console version, and then we come back to the PC and say, “Okay, here we’ve afforded ourselves this much time. Let’s up-rez all the textures. Let’s get framerate running smoother. Let’s do lighting a little bit more detailed, because we have ourselves some time.” That all comes back to specs. We need to make sure that the game is running optimally first before we turn around and say, “Here’s the CPU you need. Here’s the graphics card you need.” We are working very closely with our partners at AMD to make sure that some of those questions are being answered sooner rather than later. We want to make sure that people can go out and not only pre-order the game, but also pre-order their new graphics card from AMD that we’re working with them on, to be able to make sure our game’s optimized for it. I love all that stuff as much as the next person, but I want to make sure that it’s right.

mts
29th Jan 2013, 18:27
Polish site gram.pl find out Tomb Raider system requirements: http://www.gram.pl/news/2013/01/29/wymagania-sprzetowe-tomba-raidera-ujawnione-przez-steama.shtml

Sealtest
29th Jan 2013, 18:29
only Minimum is shown :( was hoping for at least more then that.

Relight-TRHQ
29th Jan 2013, 18:33
I don't read Polish, but I'm guessing they took that from Steam :), so here's the link to the original source of the info:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/

I expect we'll see the official announcement any time now :) I'm glad to see that Tomb Raider is still supporting XP :) unlike other upcoming games that I won't be playing ;) :(

Sealtest
29th Jan 2013, 19:22
upon looking at that link i noticed our pre-order for #2 is at 99% c'mon we need some more!

Leon S. Kennedy
29th Jan 2013, 19:28
I don't read Polish, but I'm guessing they took that from Steam :), so here's the link to the original source of the info:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/

I expect we'll see the official announcement any time now :) I'm glad to see that Tomb Raider is still supporting XP :) unlike other upcoming games that I won't be playing ;) :(

Why are you still running XP?

Maybe I should I consider getting this PC since it will look better and be cheaper. I normally game on my PS3, but my laptop can easily run this game.

My specs: Windows 7 Home Premium, Radeon Mobility HD 4750, Core Duo 2.2 ghz and 4 GBs of RAM. How do think it would look and run on a setup like that that? I would hope medium settings.

pidipidi39
29th Jan 2013, 19:45
@leon: it would run well on your pc :) Not the best but well ;)

Leon S. Kennedy
29th Jan 2013, 19:48
@leon: it would run well on your pc :) Not the best but well ;)

"Well" on PC is still a huge upgrade from current generation consoles so this something to consider before I pre-order. Thanks.

MouseNo4
29th Jan 2013, 21:17
I really need to upgrade my graphics card. Im no longer getting minimum of 60 fps when everything is maxed out.

Rai
29th Jan 2013, 21:34
I already guessed by laptop won't run the game, so I'm getting the Xbox version. It doesn't matter, but my pc runs Windows 7, DirectX11, CPU: Pemtium R Dual-core T4500@ 2.3ghz, 3.1gb RAM, in case there is a teeny chance.

jazze350
29th Jan 2013, 22:39
i can only buy the game for my labtop as i have no other sytems .. here are the specs .. will i be able to run it ? thx in advance

Product Name CQ60-203NR
Product Number ZY223UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 Dual-Core Processor
Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
Memory 2048MB
Memory Max 4096MB
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
Video Memory Up to 895MB
Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)
Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity

802.11b/g WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots
External Ports

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 Headphone out
1 microphone-in
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-11 (modem)
1 RJ -45 (LAN)

Dimensions 14.88" (L) x 9.9" (D) x 13.8" (min H) -1.72" (max H)
Weight 6.52Ibs
Security

Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
Power-on password
Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

65W AC Adapter
6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

What's In The Box
Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1
Security and Support:
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60 days complimentary live update)

HP Help & Support Center

HP Recovery Manager

HP Home Network Center

HP Total Care Advisor
Multimedia:
HP DVD Play (14)

Muvee Reveal

Cyberlink DVD Suite

Adobe Acrobat Reader

HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft Works

Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition: 60 Day Trial Version
Internet Solutions:
HP Total Care Set Up

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Tecstar70
29th Jan 2013, 22:41
You might have to uninstall the Cyberlink DVD Suite....

^^^^^only kidding. Your application software is irrelevant. you just need to worry about your version of Windows and the hardware specs.

Sealtest
29th Jan 2013, 22:50
well my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K , AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series - 3GB , 16gb ram should have no problem running this on ultra.

Valenka
30th Jan 2013, 00:11

Windoes. Windoes. :vlol: someone ought to be fired. Either way, these requirements are rather...poor. I'm able to meet the requirements on my 10 year old laptop that's collecting dust in the basement.

rudyavelar
30th Jan 2013, 00:42
maybe you guys can help me find out if i can play it?? i have no idea about these thing lol

so, i dont know what kind of video card i have, so yeah, how exactly do i find that??

and for the OS im running Windows 8

processor is a 2.40GHz Intel Core i3-3110M

thanks in advance

edit: my video card is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.

Sealtest
30th Jan 2013, 00:46
right click my computer go to properties and on the left look for device manager After that look for display drivers and it'll tell you what kind of video card you have

rudyavelar
30th Jan 2013, 00:52
right click my computer go to properties and on the left look for device manager After that look for display drivers and it'll tell you what kind of video card you have

Ok thanks man. I updated my post anybody know if I can play?? D:

Valenka
30th Jan 2013, 01:44
Ok thanks man. I updated my post anybody know if I can play?? D:

You:
Processor: 2.40GHz Intel Core i3-3110M
Memory: Undisclosed
Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

OS: Unsure. Windows 8 is not listed as a supported OS in the official [minimal] requirements, so I cannot say as of yet. If it is not supported, then the rest of this won't matter as you won't be able to play it.
Processor: Yes, barely.
Memory: Unknown, most likely yes (2GB is the minimum today's computers come with in terms of RAM)
Video Card: Most likely not. Intel HD Graphics 4000 is not a dedicated video card, but one built into the motherboard (aka integrated video card) and is nowhere near as powerful as dedicated video cards, which will process graphics much faster.

rudyavelar
30th Jan 2013, 01:47
You:
Processor: 2.40GHz Intel Core i3-3110M
Memory: Undisclosed
Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

OS: Unsure. Windows 8 is not listed as a supported OS in the official [minimal] requirements, so I cannot say as of yet. If it is not supported, then the rest of this won't matter as you won't be able to play it.
Processor: Yes, barely.
Memory: Unknown, most likely yes (2GB is the minimum today's computers come with in terms of RAM)
Video Card: Most likely not. Intel HD Graphics 4000 is not a dedicated video card, but one built into the motherboard (aka integrated video card) and is nowhere near as powerful as dedicated video cards, which will process graphics much faster.

Haha, I forgot my memory?? I have 6 GB of RAM. and ah, oh well I'll just play on PS3.~~ Thank you though! <3

Valenka
30th Jan 2013, 01:51
I would have advised posting this here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=132818) instead. To answer your question:

System Requirements:

Your System:
Processor: 2GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-62
Memory: 2GB
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 8200M

The only thing that will give you issues is your video card as it does not meet the minimum requirements, so you might get some issues even on the lowest settings. Everything else just meets the minimum requirements, so you'd be lucky if the game works without any lag, freezing, or crashing to the desktop.

In short, can you run Tomb Raider? Most likely not. :o

Valenka
30th Jan 2013, 01:59
You could most likely get away with playing it on PC, but don't expect a miracle. :p I'm glad you have an alternate way of experiencing it though! :D

rudyavelar
30th Jan 2013, 02:02
You could most likely get away with playing it on PC, but don't expect a miracle. :p I'm glad you have an alternate way of experiencing it though! :D

Yes!! Haha I think I'd cry if I didn't have anything else to play on. Haha. I mostly wanted it for PC for when im not home, I could just play on my laptop. And hmm.... maybe once I get a proper video card.

Shaikh
30th Jan 2013, 05:29

Quite low. This is the same way of revealing specs just like Absolution did a few months ago. I guess Nixxes haven't finished the PC port yet. :)

Metalrocks
30th Jan 2013, 08:13
Moved jazze350 thread to this thread, since its about pc requirements. :)

Shaikh
30th Jan 2013, 08:19
Moved jazze350 thread to this thread, since its about pc requirements. :)
Also this:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129955

Driber
30th Jan 2013, 10:06
Heh, and merged again. Thanks :)

Also, OP updated.

mts
30th Jan 2013, 10:54
Heh, and merged again. Thanks :)
Also, OP updated.
Why did you skip true via source, gram.pl?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1853285&postcount=46

Driber
30th Jan 2013, 11:00
Why did you skip true via source, gram.pl?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1853285&postcount=46

...because we can't read Polish?

Ninja_kittycat
30th Jan 2013, 11:55
My PC could easily run the new tomb raider if the OP Driber updated is right, but i don't do PC as much as i did (have a few games but changed to xbox 360 for DLC). I still play sims 3, and some other games. But i gave up on the loading them properly or i just use steam and it works very well, (<3'steam'<3) saving me the hassle of installing the right component (ugh the hateful directX *shivers*).

Rider
3rd Feb 2013, 12:33
Just wanted to ask does anyone knows will they release PC screen shoots any time soon?
And will we get Recommended system requirements?

Metalrocks
3rd Feb 2013, 13:23
welcome to the forum rider.
i moved your thread here since we have a thread about pc requirements :)

enjoy your stay.

Rider
3rd Feb 2013, 13:25
Thanks!

Sonix
3rd Feb 2013, 14:47
I've got an intel core i7 3770 with 16GB Ram which is fine but I'm looking to upgrade my gfx card. I'm split on either the radeon 7970HD and the GeFORCE GTX 670. Anyone have a recommendation?

Leon S. Kennedy
3rd Feb 2013, 15:12
I've got an intel core i7 3770 with 16GB Ram which is fine but I'm looking to upgrade my gfx card. I'm split on either the radeon 7970HD and the GeFORCE GTX 670. Anyone have a recommendation?

Nah, but curious how much of that RAM do you actually use?

pidipidi39
3rd Feb 2013, 16:40
16GB Ram? I envy you so much dude :p

Someonelse
3rd Feb 2013, 17:15

7970 comes with Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite.

Sonix
3rd Feb 2013, 17:24
Nah, but curious how much of that RAM do you actually use?
I couldn't give you an exact figure but I have a few memory intensive programs that I use regularly so the more I have the smoother my pc runs.

pj23h
3rd Feb 2013, 19:25
Hello everyone!

It's fantastic to meet so many fellow Tomb Raider fans. Really looking forward to the game's release in a few weeks.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to system requirements, and not too sure if my laptop will be able to run it. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i5-2450M CPU@2.5GHz
6 GB RAM
GeForce GT 635M 2GB

Hopefully my computer will be able to run the game at medium settings. Failing that, there's always my PS3!

Thank you to anyone who can help. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rider
3rd Feb 2013, 19:59
Your CPU is good. Your GPU not so much.
You will be able to play TR on medium/high on 720p resolution though.

pj23h
3rd Feb 2013, 20:04
Thank you so much Rider, you've been very helpful. :)

Rider
3rd Feb 2013, 20:12
You are welcome.
Here you can check how powerful your GPU is:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-635M.66964.0.html

pj23h
3rd Feb 2013, 20:35
Very useful site! Thanks again.

Sonix
3rd Feb 2013, 21:12
7970 comes with Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite.
Wow...I didn't even see this deal tbh! The store I was originally looking in isn't running this promotion but I've found one that is. I think that pretty much makes my mind up :D Thanks Someonelse :cool:

Someonelse
3rd Feb 2013, 22:50
Wow...I didn't even see this deal tbh! The store I was originally looking in isn't running this promotion but I've found one that is. I think that pretty much makes my mind up :D Thanks Someonelse :cool:

You're welcome

Lara Croft 1993
5th Feb 2013, 19:49
Hi guys,

I didn't have time to read all comments because im pretty much busy lately,but i want to ask you this:if i buy XFX Radeon 7870 Dobule D will i get Tomb Raider with it?
Im planning to buy that graphic card in march,so if you can please tell me,will i get that game if i purchase and when will i need to purchase it.

Thanks guys :)

Metalrocks
6th Feb 2013, 02:45
Hi guys,

I didn't have time to read all comments because im pretty much busy lately,but i want to ask you this:if i buy XFX Radeon 7870 Dobule D will i get Tomb Raider with it?
Im planning to buy that graphic card in march,so if you can please tell me,will i get that game if i purchase and when will i need to purchase it.

woulndt know. i guess you have to ask at your nearest retailer if its included or not. i have this card in my pc but i got it last year around july and at that time nothing was written on the box or any indication for it.

jazze350
18th Feb 2013, 20:30
thanks valenka.. sux im gonna have to wait forever to play this game now .. its the only game i want this year besides gta5

Sonix
18th Feb 2013, 21:30
Hi guys,

Yes you will - and you will also get Bioshock Infinite. See here for the details:
http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloaded.aspx
You can purchase it between February 4, 2013 and either December 31, 2013 or when supply of Key Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first.
You get a coupon to claim your games with the card.

Rider
19th Feb 2013, 11:54
Still no recommended system requirements or even few PC screens... :(

Metalrocks
19th Feb 2013, 13:44

well, if you are above then minimum, why you need to know what recommended is?? thats me at least. if my pc is above the minimum, thats all i really need to know.

regarding pc pics. i assume they try to avoid an outrage from the console players that the pc looks better. not many actually know that pc is most of the time better looking. :rolleyes:

Lara Croft 1993
19th Feb 2013, 14:06
well, if you are above then minimum, why you need to know what recommended is?? thats me at least. if my pc is above the minimum, thats all i really need to know.

regarding pc pics. i assume they try to avoid an outrage from the console players that the pc looks better. not many actually know that pc is most of the time better looking. :rolleyes:

Does that means PC will have superior graphics then consoles?

Metalrocks
19th Feb 2013, 14:14
Does that means PC will have superior graphics then consoles?

not sure if your serious or joking :scratch:
but yes, pc always has better graphics then console versions. most of the time. if the company actually puts in some effort and makes a proper pc port.

pidipidi39
19th Feb 2013, 18:02
I know what I'm going to ask will not be about requirements, but i didn't want to start a new thread :)

How will we make Lara ''walk'' on the PC version of Tomb Raider? Playing on PS3 and XBOX360 you only have to press ''slowly'' the analogic to make her walk, but... for the PC? There will be a button to press like for Underworld? :)

Lara Croft 1993
19th Feb 2013, 18:15
I know what I'm going to ask will not be about requirements, but i didn't want to start a new thread :)

How will we make Lara ''walk'' on the PC version of Tomb Raider? Playing on PS3 and XBOX360 you only have to press ''slowly'' the analogic to make her walk, but... for the PC? There will be a button to press like for Underworld? :)

It will probably be like in Underworld.
Whenever i played games on PC,you always have to walk with pressing key,but i never use it.

Metalrocks
20th Feb 2013, 03:00

i actually never use walking but yes, you press a button.
in my case, i use the "shift" button for walking. unless i have the option to sprint, then i use "shift" and ignore walking by binding it to a button i will never or hardly use.
it really depends how the gameplay is.

Driber
20th Feb 2013, 09:12

Hang in there for a bit longer!

I can announce that the recommended PC specs have been finalized and that CD is currently coordinating a specific time when to release the information to the public.

We will also have a live Q&A session with the devs soon after the reveal, so any additional questions you have you will be able to ask the folks who directly work on the PC version of TOMB RAIDER!

This is official info, btw, coming straight from the CM.

alexbowwow
21st Feb 2013, 13:13
Are the minumum requirements on the first page confirmed or not?

The_Hylden
21st Feb 2013, 13:30
Yes, they're official.

MeaganMarie
22nd Feb 2013, 10:50
http://24.media.tumblr.com/5ac0b2a59ea29ac3bcfdadfff6fcf2e6/tumblr_milxi1G10r1qkq7tbo1_500.jpg

Tomb Raider PC System Requirements Revealed!

We’ve been a bit quiet about the PC version of Tomb Raider the past few months, but it’s all been building up to sharing some anticipated news today.

The PC version of Tomb Raider has been developed in tandem between Crystal Dynamics and long-time partner Nixxes, and we’re proud to be continuing this tradition. The relationship has spanned over a dozen PC titles, and dates back fifteen years. The PC edition also has the benefits of an ongoing partnership with AMD, with Tomb Raider extensively optimized to include unique AMD tech that supports AMD HD3D, AMD Eyefinity for capable PCs, and more.

So here it is – the full list of PC enhancements and features for Tomb Raider, including minimum and recommended system requirements!

System Requirements

Minimum system requirements for PC

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM:*AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2*2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)*
Recommended system requirements for PC

DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 4870, nVidia GTX 480
Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2*565, Intel Core i5-750
4GB Memory*
PC Enhancements

General Features

Full integration with Steamworks to offer cloud storage for saves, multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, as well as automatic updates and new content.
Support for Steam Big Picture Mode.
Configurable mouse and keyboard support.
Gamepad support.*
High-end Graphics

Detail Tessellation to enhance the detail on many surfaces in the game
Higher quality shadows
High quality bokeh depth of field with near-blur
Tessellation algorithms used to smooth out geometry
Improved cloth, SSAO, quality wetness effects, and post-filter effects.
LOD quality is adjustable for better quality on higher-end machines.*
Low-End Graphics

Crystal cares about TR fans being able to run on older systems, unlike many other games they still support Windows XP.
A lot of scalability options to suit a range of machines.*

Chances are if you’re a PC buff, you’ve still got a handful of questions. In anticipation of some of the more common queries, we’ve tracked down the Director of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman. Take a read through our Q&A below.

Q: Does Tomb Raider support Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

“We felt it was important for all the Tomb Raider fans to be able to play the game, so we tried to keep our OS support as wide as possible. So unlike some other recent games we do still run on Windows XP as well as on Windows Vista, Windows 7, as well as Windows 8. We are not Windows 8 Certified, which is a Microsoft label they use on their store. However, we do test extensively on Windows 8 and are making sure Windows 8 users get a great game experience.”

Q: Is Tomb Raider a Steamworks title?

“Yes, Tomb Raider uses Steamworks for achievements, Steam Cloud save games, multiplayer match making, as well as leaderboards.”

Q: Will Tomb Raider support Steam offline mode?

“Yes, the game will definitely run in offline mode. However, you will obviously not be able to participate in multiplayer games in this mode.”

Q: If I purchase a boxed copy of Tomb Raider, does that mean I’ll still be able to play it using Steam?

“Every copy of Tomb Raider will integrate with Steam and use the Steamworks features; it does not matter where you bought it.”

Q: Will the game require the disc to be in the computer or is it able to directly download from Steam?

“Yes, when you buy the game in a store you will get a CD-Key for Steam. Just entering this code on your Steam account will allow you to download the game, so you do not necessarily need the disk. The disk is just there so you do not have to download all that data.”

Q: Will there be any DRM?

“We do not believe in strong anti-consumer DRM methods, so apart from the game using Steamworks and it having to be authenticated with your Steam account there is no additional DRM.”

Q: Does the game support 120 hertz?

“On hardware that supports this it certainly will. We do not restrict what refresh rate or frame-rate the game will run at, it will run at whatever frame-rate and refresh rate your hardware will be capable of performance wise.”

Q: What are your plans for widescreen in Tomb Raider?

“We support AMD Eyefinity as well as NVIDIA Surround to allow you to connect multiple screens and create very wide displays.”

If you’ve got additional questions, we’re planning a Q&A session (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133239) on the Official Tomb Raider Forums on Monday, February 25 at 10:00 AM PST. We’re also aiming to have some stunning new PC screens next week!

Register on the forums and arm yourself with questions!*

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 11:13
Oh wow! Amazing! Can't wait for PC screens!!

I should be able to run this game on highest settings, great job CD and Nixxes!

Lara Croft 1993
22nd Feb 2013, 11:22
Wow,i expected higher demanding graphic card.
Well,i just want to ask you guys,will i be able to run it on max settings with this configuration:

AsRock Z77 Pro4
Intel i5 2500K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
4 GB Ram

or i need better graphic card?
I really wanna play it on max.
And one last thing,will i be able to play with high-end graphic?
Please help :)

EDIT:In hurry i wrote wrong graphic card.

pidipidi39
22nd Feb 2013, 11:29
Finally :D
Great features!
I definitely can't wait for the screens now ;)

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 11:34
Well,i just want to ask you guys,will i be able to run it on max settings with this configuration:

AsRock Z77 Pro4
Intel i5 2500K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
4 GB Ram

Yes, you will.

Lara Croft 1993
22nd Feb 2013, 11:38
Yes, you will.

Thank you very much man :D

Mike_B
22nd Feb 2013, 12:00
Nice to know the specs. Looks like my pc will be able to handle this despite the cpu being an old core2 dual core.

Shaikh
22nd Feb 2013, 12:06
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

We’re also aiming to have some stunning new PC screens next week!Can't wait for the PC screens. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

Falcon
22nd Feb 2013, 12:09
This is going to be great. My PC will also run the game on Highest settings. I'm also excited to see the screens. Should post some as soon as we can play. Just non-spoiler ones of course :D

Shaikh
22nd Feb 2013, 13:01
Crysis 3 barely fits my PC for low requirement. TR easily fits on high requirement. :D :D

Ellierys
22nd Feb 2013, 13:01
Hey.

I'm an editorialist for a French IT Website, and I would like to point some really wierd mistakes about your recommended specs.

1/ Radeon HD4870 is not a DirectX 11 capable card, as it only handles DirectX 10.1 : http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4870-overview.aspx
But Radeon HD5870 is DirectX 11 capable.

2/ Phenom II X2 565 is not a quad core processor but a dual core. It is named "X2" for a reason. You must talk about Phenom II X4 940 or superior.

Fun fact : Crytek did the same mistake for Crysis 3, as Ubisoft for FarCry 3 specs...

Kind regards.

Shaikh
22nd Feb 2013, 13:05
AMD Radeon HD 4870 is a DirectX 10.1 card. Shouldn't it be 5870? :scratch:

EDIT: Beaten.

So we don't need to download the whole game from Steam if we have the disk right?

Harbinger
22nd Feb 2013, 13:21
AMD Radeon HD 4870 is a DirectX 10.1 card. Shouldn't it be 5870? :scratch:

EDIT: Beaten.

So we don't need to download the whole game from Steam if we have the disk right?

If other steamworks titles are any indication, you can use the disc to install it. But if you damage or lose the disc, you can still download it directly from Steam. ;)

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 13:34
Yeah on many forums and sites ppl are saying that 4870 can't be recommended because it is not DX11 card.
Driber can you please tell us is it mistake?

Shaikh
22nd Feb 2013, 13:37
If other steamworks titles are any indication, you can use the disc to install it. But if you damage or lose the disc, you can still download it directly from Steam. ;)

Thanks for clarifying. :thumb:

Yeah on many forums and sites ppl are saying that 4870 can't be recommended because it is not DX11 card.
Driber can you please tell us is it mistake?
Jay Walker have this to say:

yeh the 4870 is not technically a full DX11 card but it supports tessellation etc, so for recommending it performance wise its a no brainer.Source (https://www.facebook.com/shaikhsiddiky/posts/10151440183819190)

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 13:41
So it's not mistake? But will that card be powerful enough for playable fps (30+)??

Ellierys
22nd Feb 2013, 13:54
I think a 4870 still offers decent performances, so no problem.

OK for the 4870 "problem" but what about the Phenom II X2 565 ? Did we need to unlock some hidden cores? ;)

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 14:06

OK for the 4870 "problem" but what about the Phenom II X2 565 ? Did we need to unlock some hidden cores? ;)

And what you think about i3 + 6850 + 8GB RAM it should be enough for medium/high at FullHD right?

Ellierys
22nd Feb 2013, 14:14
And what you think about i3 + 6850 + 8GB RAM it should be enough for medium/high at FullHD right?

I think it's fine yes :)

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 14:20

probably not every single detail on high with the 4870 but it should run smooth enough if you can say bye bye to maybe some effects like water.
i know it from the first FEAR game. i also had the recommended requirements but still had to disable some effect that the game ran smooth.

@questions
good to hear it will not have any other DRM. that sure makes me sleep better tonight. :D

Pew
22nd Feb 2013, 14:32
Great, Thanks for the info.

jaywalker2309
22nd Feb 2013, 14:54
The Phenom II X2 565 is the same as the Quad Core CPU but with 2 cores temp? disabled, so its got the same featureset as the Quad Core.

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 14:59

AsRock Z77 Pro4
Intel i5 2500K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
4 GB Ram

maybe get additional 4gb ram. it will load faster and also smoother to play. ;)

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
22nd Feb 2013, 15:00
Yay for high resolution textures, I hope Crystal/Nixxes aren't lying about this feature. :P
It's great to get all the DX11 feature set, but the low res textures in the screenshots released so far definitely had a negative impact on the overall impression when it comes to the visual aspect of TR.

On a related note, will we get any PC screenshots/videos before release?

P.S. Shame about mandatory Steam though, and LOL at the "Will there be any DRM?" question. :D You've just confirmed Steamworks, of freaking course there's DRM.

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 15:06
Yay for high resolution textures, I hope Crystal/Nixxes aren't lying about this feature. :P
It's great to get all the DX11 feature set, but the low res textures in the screenshots released so far definitely had a negative impact on the overall impression when it comes to the visual aspect of TR.

On a related note, will we get any PC screenshots/videos before release?

P.S. Shame about mandatory Steam though, and LOL at the "Will there be any DRM?" question. :D You've just confirmed Stemworks, of freaking course there's DRM.

We only saw console screens PC version will have higher textures.
They will release PC screens next week, little late in my opinion.

Ellierys
22nd Feb 2013, 15:08
The Phenom II X2 565 is the same as the Quad Core CPU but with 2 cores temp? disabled, so its got the same featureset as the Quad Core.

The Phenom II X2 is a dual core processor. Period. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X2%20565%20-%20HDZ565WFK2DGM%20(HDZ565WFGMBOX).html

His die is the same as the X4 but two cores are totally desactivated. Yes in some conditions you can reactivate one or two cores on it, but the average user didn't do that :)

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 15:12

agreed but as long its before the release date, you still can cancel your pre order if your not happy. after all, its not like you cna buy TR only on the 5th of march and then never :p

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 15:24
agreed but as long its before the release date, you still can cancel your pre order if your not happy. after all, its not like you cna buy TR only on the 5th of march and then never :p

I will NEVER cancel my pre-order no matter what! ;)

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
22nd Feb 2013, 15:25

Better late than never, eh? ;)

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 15:27
Better late than never, eh? ;)

Yeah that't true. I though that we will never get them tbh. Sorry CD! :rolleyes::p

Shaikh
22nd Feb 2013, 15:31
probably not every single detail on high with the 4870 but it should run smooth enough if you can say bye bye to maybe some effects like water.

I have a big affection to water. So even for the high end games, I turn on Highest quality water and set others to low if necessary. :D

Lara Croft 1993
22nd Feb 2013, 15:46
maybe get additional 4gb ram. it will load faster and also smoother to play. ;)

Will do :D

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 15:52
Will do :D

you will not regret it. i have 8gb ram (2x 4gb ram sticks). it sure makes a difference.

The_Hylden
22nd Feb 2013, 15:54
P.S. Shame about mandatory Steam though, and LOL at the "Will there be any DRM?" question. :D You've just confirmed Steamworks, of freaking course there's DRM.

As noted by them, they don't believe in excessive DRM, unlike other companies that would put extra DRM even after Steamworks. I think we all are glad that they decided to keep it at a minimum.

Elliot Kane
22nd Feb 2013, 16:08
As noted by them, they don't believe in excessive DRM, unlike other companies that would put extra DRM even after Steamworks. I think we all are glad that they decided to keep it at a minimum.

Steam is NOT minimum, and personally I would describe it as excessive. It just isn't at the ridiculous joke level of some companies.

There's been at least a few who insist on absurd combinations like Steam and G4WL. IIRC, there was even one who put THREE separate types of DRM on the same game! Talk about overkill!

jaywalker2309
22nd Feb 2013, 16:40
I have a big affection to water. So even for the high end games, I turn on Highest quality water and set others to low if necessary. :D

am more for texture quality over shadows on my laptop :)

Relight-TRHQ
22nd Feb 2013, 16:50
:eek:

I just have to say, thank you guys so much for supporting Windows XP :)

I can't wait to have a new system with Windows 7 and a better graphics card to be able to play this game in all its PC glory, but that's not happening anytime soon, so in the meantime, the support for somewhat older hardware on the PC side is really appreciated.

- My opinion is my own and not that of the company.
- Oh, fyi we DO care
- 11 days
LOL you rock man :D

Metalrocks
22nd Feb 2013, 16:56

what ever makes you happy :D
like jay, i also prefer textures more. but since my pc can handle this game without any problems, i dont have to worry about this.

Sonix
22nd Feb 2013, 18:21
The high-res textures on the PC....are they already on the disk or will they be a seperate download?

Lara Croft 1993
22nd Feb 2013, 18:26
The high-res textures on the PC....are they already on the disk or will they be a seperate download?

I'm not 100% sure,but i think you get it on disk.
Anyway check what other members will tell you.

Relight-TRHQ
22nd Feb 2013, 18:30
My expectation is that they're already on the disc. They list it as an enhancement feature (feature indicating to me that it's standard for PC version, so it would be there at release), and they make no mention of it being an additional download. If it was an additional download, I would have expected them to say something like "hi-res texture pack available separately". Just my best guess :)

Elliot Kane
22nd Feb 2013, 19:59
I read it the same way Relight does, I must admit.

If it were not on the disk (Or had to be downloaded separately for downloads), it would most likely say so.

Someonelse
22nd Feb 2013, 21:30

AsRock Z77 Pro4
Intel i5 2500K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
4 GB Ram

Sorry but that graphics card doesn't meet recommended requirements. I thought you were going to upgrade?

Someonelse
22nd Feb 2013, 21:49
It should be a 5870 (http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/43715776565/tomb-raider-pc-system-requirements-revealed)

Lantea
22nd Feb 2013, 22:30
Anyone know how good Radeon HD 6770M is going to be for this game?

I would like to know how my i7 laptop handles it when I am on the go.

Rider
22nd Feb 2013, 22:32
Anyone know how good Radeon HD 6770M is going to be for this game?

I would like to know how my i7 laptop handles it when I am on the go.

You should be able to run it on med/high.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

Lantea
22nd Feb 2013, 22:38
You should be able to run it on med/high.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

Thanks for the help. :)

Yehoshuah
23rd Feb 2013, 02:55
hi guys, can u tell me how good the game will run on my lap?

intel core i5 2410m
4.1gb ram
amd radeon hd 6470m

namitokiwa
23rd Feb 2013, 04:55
I have heard from the system Requirements of the new Tomb Raider, at first I thought my PC requirement will run the game smoothly on recommend requirement. But after I checked in "Can you RUN it" website, it said I fail to run on Recommend system requirements, here is the picture of it:
pdoash_Untitled.png

So from what you see on my PC requirement. Do you think I still can play this new TR with recommend requirements? I've heard that "can you RUN it" isn't true for the true experiment in game. I don't know what is right or not.

Here is my PC requirement:
Processor: Intel Xenon CPU E3-1230 V2 3.30GHZ (8 CPUs).
Memories: 16384mb.
Directx version: Directx 11.
Graphic card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX660Ti 2GB.
HDD: 1TB.

Please tell me if I could play this game on the recommend system Requirements? :( I reallly looking up for this game.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 07:34
the rest looks pretty fine and you should have no problems to play it on highest settings. but if unsure, install the latest driver for your graphic card and this should be fine.

had the same thing with ME2. it also said that my card (in that time 3850) is the minimum but i was still able to play the game on max settings without any problems.
so i woulndt worry to much about it.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 07:42
hi guys, can u tell me how good the game will run on my lap?

intel core i5 2410m
4.1gb ram
amd radeon hd 6470m

not really a laptop expert but these requirements look very fine to play the game with pretty much everything on high.
maybe get additional 4gb ram in to it so that it loads faster.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 08:38
Must be a bug on the site. The 660ti is most definitely above the 4870/gtx480. You won't have any troubles running it.

For reference, the GTX 660ti is about as fast as the GTX 580 (they trade blows - it wins some, loses some), which itself is about 20% faster than the GTX 480.

Mike_B
23rd Feb 2013, 08:41
I'm pretty sure the 660 Ti will the run the game. It's newer than the gtx 480 so I think it might be a mistake of the tool. Curious though, why do you have a server cpu?

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 08:51
not really a laptop expert but these requirements look very fine to play the game with pretty much everything on high.
maybe get additional 4gb ram in to it so that it loads faster.

The ram and cpu should be just fine, but it absolutely isn't going to run everything on high. The 6470m is slower than the 2600XT and Geforce 8600. Not by a large margin, and it's close enough that I'd call them equal, but still, the Radeon 6470m barely meets the minimum requirements. It'll run, but it's probably not going to be pretty :)

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 08:54
Sorry but that graphics card doesn't meet recommended requirements. I thought you were going to upgrade?
The radeon 5770 actually kind of does meet the recommended requirements. It's very, very close to the 4870 in speed. It loses by a little bit in older games that don't make heavy use of shaders. In newer games that do make heavy use of shaders, it's faster. It's a safe bet that it'll be faster than the 4870 in Tomb Raider. That said, to run everything maxed out at 1080p and maintain a decent framerate, yeah, a 5770 likely won't cut it (but neither will the 4870, of course).

namitokiwa
23rd Feb 2013, 09:30
I'm pretty sure the 660 Ti will the run the game. It's newer than the gtx 480 so I think it might be a mistake of the tool. Curious though, why do you have a server cpu?
:) I am studying the major "Multimedia" so I have to ask some supporters for building for me a good PC for making 3D and movie (such as Maya, Adobe After Effects). So they build for me a whole PC like that. :D I don't know much about software or hardware so when that website give me a failure on Recommend Requirements, I felt sad. But thank you for solving my question :D:D

the rest looks pretty fine and you should have no problems to play it on highest settings. but if unsure, install the latest driver for your graphic card and this should be fine.

had the same thing with ME2. it also said that my card (in that time 3850) is the minimum but i was still able to play the game on max settings without any problems.
so i woulndt worry to much about it.

I have installed Nvidia Gefore Experience so it will update my graphic card. And yesterday I've already updated it. Maybe there is something wrong with "Can you RUN it" website.

Must be a bug on the site. The 660ti is most definitely above the 4870/gtx480. You won't have any troubles running it.

For reference, the GTX 660ti is about as fast as the GTX 580 (they trade blows - it wins some, loses some), which itself is about 20% faster than the GTX 480.
Thank you so much for solving my problems. Maybe there is something wrong with that website. :D

And one more question that my PC still play well on the highest requirement, isn't it? I have play through some Tomb Raider (from the Legend to Underworld) and some of Eidios games (like Hitman absolution and Deux). The graphic runs very smooth on my PC. Hope this one will like the others :D

The_Hylden
23rd Feb 2013, 10:31
namitokiwa, please use the edit button instead of posting multiple times after one another. Thanks.

I've merged your thread into the Official System Requirements discussion thread.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 10:37
And one more question that my PC still play well on the highest requirement, isn't it? I have play through some Tomb Raider (from the Legend to Underworld) and some of Eidios games (like Hitman absolution and Deux). The graphic runs very smooth on my PC. Hope this one will like the others :D
Yes, your system should handle the game fine on highest settings, unless the developers have really outdone themselves :P

_Yunie_
23rd Feb 2013, 11:01
Hi guys, :)
I'm not very familiar with PC requirements...could you please tell me if Tomb Raider will work on my PC? Here are my specs:

phuplu_specs.PNG

As you can see, System requirements lab warns me about my graphic card (I don't know what "Info" stands for, when referred to CPU speed). Will I be able to play Tomb Raider or do I need a new PC?

Thanks in advance, guys :)

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 11:24
Hi guys, :)
I'm not very familiar with PC requirements...could you please tell me if Tomb Raider will work on my PC? Here are my specs:

As you can see, System requirements lab warns me about my graphic card (I don't know what "Info" stands for, when referred to CPU speed). Will I be able to play Tomb Raider or do I need a new PC?

Thanks in advance, guys :)

Unfortunately, your video card is pretty far below the minimum requirement, and even though it says your CPU is okay, it's pretty iffy. While the game may technically be able to run, it would likely be very choppy, even on the lowest settings.

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Feb 2013, 11:32
Sooo...What is official sys. req.?
4870 or 5870?

I will really need to upgrade my GPU if recommended GPU is 5870.

_Yunie_
23rd Feb 2013, 11:33
Unfortunately, your video card is pretty far below the minimum requirement, and even though it says your CPU is okay, it's pretty iffy. While the game may technically be able to run, it would likely be very choppy, even on the lowest settings.

Hi Martelol, :)
Thanks for your kind reply. I was planning to buy a new PC, actually my PC is very old and I think I definitely need a new one. I wanted to be sure and - thanks to you - now I am. :)

A last question, if I may: I'm going to play Tomb Raider on Steam, but I read that in the dedicated Steam page Windows 8 doesn't figure in the OS supported. Should I avoid to buy a PC with Windows 8 or will I be able to play all the same? :)

Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble :)

Rider
23rd Feb 2013, 11:42
Sooo...What is official sys. req.?
4870 or 5870?

I will really need to upgrade my GPU if recommended GPU is 5870.

Obviously it was mistake.
Recommended is 5870 they changed CPU too.

I should be happy if i can play this at Medium settings.

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Feb 2013, 11:52
Obviously it was mistake.
Recommended is 5870 they changed CPU too.

I should be happy if i can play this at Medium settings.

Ahhh..guess i will had to buy Radeon 7870 after all.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 11:59
Hi Martelol, :)
Thanks for your kind reply. I was planning to buy a new PC, actually my PC is very old and I think I definitely need a new one. I wanted to be sure and - thanks to you - now I am. :)

A last question, if I may: I'm going to play Tomb Raider on Steam, but I read that in the dedicated Steam page Windows 8 doesn't figure in the OS supported. Should I avoid to buy a PC with Windows 8 or will I be able to play all the same? :)

Thank you so much and sorry for the trouble :)

I'm currently writing up a thread with components to build your own PC. There will be a few configurations, and if you're comfortable building your own or would like to learn how (it's easy, I promise!), keep an eye out for that.

Almost everything that works on Windows 7 works perfectly on Windows 8. It would be silly for them to launch a game that doesn't work on Windows 8. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.

Edit: My post is up. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1864412

_Yunie_
23rd Feb 2013, 12:51
I'm currently writing up a thread with components to build your own PC. There will be a few configurations, and if you're comfortable building your own or would like to learn how (it's easy, I promise!), keep an eye out for that.

Almost everything that works on Windows 7 works perfectly on Windows 8. It would be silly for them to launch a game that doesn't work on Windows 8. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.

Heartfelt thanks :)
I'll keep an eye on your thread with pleasure ;)

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 13:04
Ahhh..guess i will had to buy Radeon 7870 after all.

i have this card in my pc and its really good. 2gb ram, so you know there is lots of power in it.
can play BF3 and max payne 3 on highest settings and it runs really smooth. no lagging, nothing. even the loading is pretty fast.

@namikotina
thats good. my radeon card also informs me when a new driver is available. earlier this week it did an update.

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Feb 2013, 13:45
[QUOTE=Metalrocks;1864409][COLOR="Lime"]
i have this card in my pc and its really good. 2gb ram, so you know there is lots of power in it.
can play BF3 and max payne 3 on highest settings and it runs really smooth. no lagging, nothing. even the loading is pretty fast.

Thanks for info,but what are you thinking about Sapphire Radeon 6870?
I was looking for 7870,but they sold them all :eek:
So i was thinking if i don't find it,should i buy 6870 instead?

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 14:00
Thanks for info,but what are you thinking about Sapphire Radeon 6870?
I was looking for 7870,but they sold them all :eek:
So i was thinking if i don't find it,should i buy 6870 instead?

The 7870 is quite significantly faster than the 6870. See if you can find a 7850 instead. They're very good overclockers that can easily reach above the performance of a 7870 with minimal effort.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 14:08
The 7870 is quite significantly faster than the 6870. See if you can find a 7850 instead. They're very good overclockers that can easily reach above the performance of a 7870 with minimal effort.

what he said.
thats what i have been told as well on a german tech forum. either get a 7870 or a 7850.

@lara 1993
so maybe ask the store if they can order it in for you. its worth the wait. better have a good card that will last for many years and for sure run modern games.

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Feb 2013, 14:39

I was planning to buy used 6870 for $120.Since i'm planning to buy it on march 1st,i may find 7870.

what he said.
thats what i have been told as well on a german tech forum. either get a 7870 or a 7850.

@lara 1993
so maybe ask the store if they can order it in for you. its worth the wait. better have a good card that will last for many years and for sure run modern games.

I ask 1 hour ago :D ,seller told me they don't have it at the moment,but they'll try to get it.
But i have other good news(i hope).
I found one for $100 less in other store,and they have 18 in stock,i hope i can get it on payment in installments.

Metalrocks
23rd Feb 2013, 14:48
I was planning to buy used 6870 for $120.Since i'm planning to buy it on march 1st,i may find 7870.

I ask 1 hour ago :D ,seller told me they don't have it at the moment,but they'll try to get it.
But i have other good news(i hope).
I found one for $100 less in other store,and they have 18 in stock,i hope i can get it on payment in installments.

thats great. go for it. radeon cards are really cheap and still offer great performances as a expensive nvidia card.
yes, i sound like a little fan boy now. im a proud radeon owner. use them for nearly 10 years now:D

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Feb 2013, 14:59
thats great. go for it. radeon cards are really cheap and still offer great performances as a expensive nvidia card.
yes, i sound like a little fan boy now. im a proud radeon owner. use them for nearly 10 years now:D

Yeah i know what you mean.
My second PC had nVidia GT 8600,and it died after 3 years.
Then guy who diagnosed my PC told me Radeon is better and cheaper,i start using only Radeon.
It's cheap and good,nVidia is good too,but they are kind a expensive.:D

rlestra5
23rd Feb 2013, 20:20
Hey all,

Just want to check if I can run this game on my PC. My main concern is my video/graphics card. Please see below in bold for my system specs.

Thanks all for the help. FYI I have already visited the Can You Run It? website but I wanted to get some feedback from real people as well.

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS PC

I have Windows 7, 64-bit

DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM:
AMD Radeon HD 4870
nVidia GTX 480
I have ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 1 GB of Dedicated Video RAM

**This is the one I'm concerned about. I checked and the drivers are up to date for this video card. Please let me know if I should upgrade my video card though for optimal performance in playing this game.**

Quad core CPU:
AMD Phenom II X2 565
Intel Core i5-750
I have AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor @ 3.20 GHz

4GB Memory
I have 6 GB of RAM memory

<NDC>
23rd Feb 2013, 20:51
I would expect the 5450 is going to struggle if you want to run at the higher settings.

If you were to upgrade, look at the AMD 7850 or the Nvidia 650ti as a solid gaming card without being too pricey.

The resolution you will be playing at is also an important factor, I still get pretty good performance from my 5850 becasue I only run at 1440x900 (old monitor):).

rlestra5
23rd Feb 2013, 20:54
Thanks NDC.

Is the graphics card something I can install myself?

I have a desktop tower computer.

Keiichi81
23rd Feb 2013, 21:01
I'm kind of in the same boat. Crysis 3 has me spooked because its the first game I haven't been able to run decently at max settings.

I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 @3.6Ghz, a GeForce GTX 560 Ti and 8GB ram. I'm hoping that's enough to play Tomb Raider smoothly at max settings in 1080p.

Thanks NDC.

Is the graphics card something I can install myself?

I have a desktop tower computer.

Yes. Usually it's just a simple matter of popping the old card out and popping the new one in. If you're buying a card from the same manufacturer and family (i.e. upgrading from a GeForce 560 to a GeForce 650/660) often you won't even need to reinstall drivers. The only things you really have to worry about is that your motherboard supports it (if it's a PCIe x16 card and your motherboard only has a standard PCIe slot) and power consumption (find out what your power supply outputs and make sure it exceeds the requirement of the card; you don't want to put a 650W card in a computer with a 420W PSU).

<NDC>
23rd Feb 2013, 21:11
Actually scrap what I said about the 650ti, the 7850 is better on average. Though a 7870 or Nvidia 660 would be pretty even, with 660 having Physx if a game supports it.

You can install it yourself. What power supply you have is also important, that it's not too low and has the correct connectorsfor the card.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 21:14
As others have said, your video card is going to have a rough time. The recommendation by NDC of a Radeon 7850 is solid.

As Keiichi pointed out, you do need to make sure your power supply can handle it. I would look at the stickers on it and make sure it's at least 450W. If it's prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc), you might have issues, as they generally use the lowest-wattage power supplies they can get away with.

rlestra5
23rd Feb 2013, 21:50
Okay, thanks.

1 - How can I check the power supply on my computer and what do I need to be looking for?

2- My system is a Dell. Will I be able to install a new graphics card myself without issues?

3 - Is there a difference between an ATI card and an AMD card? My current card is ATI Radeon HD 5450 and the recommended for this game is AMD Radeon HD 4870.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 22:04
Okay, thanks.

1 - How can I check the power supply on my computer and what do I need to be looking for?

2- My system is a Dell. Will I be able to install a new graphics card myself without issues?

3 - Is there a difference between an ATI card and an AMD card? My current card is ATI Radeon HD 5450 and the recommended for this game is AMD Radeon HD 4870.

Given 2, you'll almost definitely need a new power supply. Just open the side of the case and there should be a sticker on the side of the power supply with its specs.

As for 3, AMD bought ATI. A lot of people say ATI still, even though the brand technically no longer exists. They're one and the same.

Keiichi81
23rd Feb 2013, 22:10
Okay, thanks.

1) The simplest way would be to open your case. The wattage is likely written on a sticker on the side of the PSU. As for what your motherboard supports, you'd have to find what motherboard is installed in your computer. Try looking up your computer's model number on Dell's website and see if you can find the listed specs for it. You'll want to find what expansion slots it has.

2) You should. It should just be a simple matter of opening your case, unscrewing/latching your card, unplugging the power connectors from it and pulling it out of its slot, then sliding the new card in and doing the process in reverse. Anything that needs to be plugged in should be keyed so that its impossible to install it the wrong way.

3) AMD is a chipset manufacturer. There are really only two chipset manufacturers: AMD and NVIDIA. Neither chipset manufacturer actually make graphics cards themselves, so you're never going to find an AMD Radeon HD 5450 in a store. You will however find, for example, an eVGA Radeon HD 5450 which uses the AMD Radeon HD 5450 chipset. When people say AMD or NVIDIA, they're simply referring to the chipset manufacturer and not the card manufacturer. Whichever card manufacturer you go with is a matter of personal taste and cost, as there usually isn't much difference between them. Off the top of my head, eVGA, PNY, Asus and Sapphire are all fairly well-known and reliable brands. When in doubt, read customer reviews.

I would recommend NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48) if you're going to be shopping for a new card.

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 22:14
3) AMD is a chipset manufacturer. ATI would be the card manufacturer, in your example.

Not quite. See my post :)

rlestra5
23rd Feb 2013, 23:25
Okay guys, I was able to pop open my system as well as look on the bottom. Here's what I found power-supply wise:

AC Input:
V: 115V/230V
A: 8.0/4.0 A
Hz: 50/60 Hz

Total Power: 460W Max (this is the exact wording that was listed inside the machine)

Where should I go from here?

Martelol
23rd Feb 2013, 23:31
Okay guys, I was able to pop open my system as well as look on the bottom. Here's what I found power-supply wise:

AC Input:
V: 115V/230V
A: 8.0/4.0 A
Hz: 50/60 Hz

Total Power: 460W Max (this is the exact wording that was listed inside the machine)

Where should I go from here?

That should be plenty for a card like the 7850. Now, you need to make sure you have the proper PCI express slot. Your current video card is probably currently in it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

Take a look at that picture. What you're looking for is a PCIe x16 slot. If you have that, then coupled with your power supply, you should be good to go :D

If you order a 7850, be aware that it will require its own power cable, which will look like this:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg

It may be a 6+2 pin connector as in the picture, or it may be just a 6pin, which is fine as the 7850 only requires a 6pin. If your power supply does not have this connector, the card will come with an adapter cable to convert a 4pin molex connector into the necessary 6pin pci express connector. Here's a pic:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/150_3308.jpg

Take a look - if you don't already have a pcie power cable in there, you'll almost certainly have a 4pin molex adapter that can be used with the adapter. Of note, the adapter that came with my 7850 only requires 1 molex connector, while the adapter in that picture uses 2.

Arthur Pendragon
24th Feb 2013, 00:50
I believe I have all the correct specs to run it (even if it's at minimum) But I'm not sure about my Graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with 512 MB of remaining memory. (But I have absolutely no problem with clearing up plenty of space.)

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 00:51
Thanks again, Martelol. Here's where I'm at:

I popped open my tower again and based on your picture (thank you) and unless I'm mistaken, I have 2 of the smaller PCI e x 1 slots, 1 of the PCI slots, and 1 of the PCI e x 16 slots. My current video card is in the PCI e x 16 slot, as you mentioned it most likely would be. So that part looks good to go.

As far as the cable is concerned, I really can't tell. I can't get a good look at anything without taking it all apart, which I don't want to do yet. But that's not the most important thing at this point anyway, because as you pointed out the new video card would come with an adapter cable and I would be okay (correct me if I'm wrong).

The big problem, however, is my power supply. As I said, my system mentions total power 460W max. Now I looked up the AMD Radeon HD 7850 card at this link:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx#2

...and if you look under the System Requirements it says that a 500W (or greater) power supply is recommended, which I don't have. Just for the hell of it, I also looked up the two video cards listed in the recommended settings to run the game: the AMD Radeon HD 4870 or the nVidia GTX 480.

AMD Radeon HD 4870: (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4870-system-requirements.aspx)

Again, says it recommends 500W or greater power supply.

nVidia GTX 480:
(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-480/specifications)

This one is listed as a minimum system power requirement of 600W.

Bottom line: I don't have enough current power supply on my system to purchase one of the video cards they recommend to run the game optimally (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

And, I don't really want to have to purchase a bigger/better power supply IN ADDITION TO purchasing a video card just to be able to run the game at high performance.

I did check the minimum requirements to run the game and both of the video cards listed there only require a minimum of 350/400W in power supply, so my system DOES meet the minimum requirements.

So what would your advice be? I would either have to purchase a better power supply and a new video card to run the game optimally, or I just have to settle with playing it at the minimum settings, right? Is that correct?

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 01:06
Here it is in illustrated format:

jbkoik_Minimum-Requirements.JPG

jekjjc_Recommended-Requirements.JPG

jwcsbd_Results.JPG

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 01:10
They always err on the side of safety when doing power supply recommendations. There are a lot of crap power supplies out there that can't handle what they're fully rated for, so that helps take those into account. Based on your processor, with a Radeon 7850 you should only be using maybe a bit over 300W at full load.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 01:15
Are you sure? So you're saying I could still install a new video card that recommends 500 watts or greater even though my system is telling me 460 max?

I'm just thinking of what Keiichi said above:

(find out what your power supply outputs and make sure it exceeds the requirement of the card; you don't want to put a 650W card in a computer with a 420W PSU).

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 01:20
Are you sure? So you're saying I could still install a new video card that recommends 500 watts or greater even though my system is telling me 460 max?

Yes. A 7850 by itself consumes about 115W at full load. Dell uses decent power supplies these days. You'll be just fine :)

Think of it like this: They're assuming the user has a crappy 500W power supply that will only actually support about 300W. They don't want to be responsible for your power supply dying, so they recommend well above what is actually needed.

Now, I wouldn't go throwing something like a 7970 in there, but you'll be just fine with the 7850.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 01:27
Okay, thanks.

So what are my options for the video card in your opinion?

AMD HD Radeon 7850

What about the two listed by the manufacturer:
AMD Radeon HD 4870 or
nVidia GTX 480

I'm trying to keep cost in mind. I want to play the game at high performance but I don't want to break the bank here. I'd be looking for a comparable video card to what's listed above obviously.

Looking for the best bang for the buck. I don't play a lot of games on the computer so I guess I would take that into account as well.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 01:29
Okay, thanks.

So what are my options for the video card in your opinion?

AMD HD Radeon 7850

What about the two listed by the manufacturer:
AMD Radeon HD 4870 or
nVidia GTX 480

I'm trying to keep cost in mind. I want to play the game at high performance but I don't want to break the bank here. I'd be looking for a comparable video card to what's listed above obviously.

Looking for the best bang for the buck. I don't play a lot of games on the computer so I guess I would take that into account as well.

The 480 and 7850 are both significantly faster than the 4870. The 7850 is about on par with the 480, but will consume significantly less power.

Here's a comparison of the 4870 and 7850:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/513?vs=549

Note the power consumption numbers are for the entire system, not just the video card.

Edit: And here's the 7850 vs Geforce 470 (they don't list the 480, but imagine 15-20% faster than the 470 and even higher power consumption)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/519?vs=549

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 01:35
Ok, cool.

Cost-wise what am I looking at?

Also, what are the steps involved? Obviously besides putting the new card in my machine...do I have to install and uninstall drivers and what not? And how do I do that?

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 01:43
Ok, cool.

Cost-wise what am I looking at?

Also, what are the steps involved? Obviously besides putting the new card in my machine...do I have to install and uninstall drivers and what not? And how do I do that?

Cost-wise, if you're in the US, the 7850 is about $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999

It comes with free copies of Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. If you don't want one or either of them, you can sell the codes on ebay or to a friend and make a little of your money back.

Remove your old card, put in the new card, and connect the power cable (if you don't connect the power cable, you'll get no video output).

Before you install the new one, yes I'd remove the current drivers. You can do that by bringing up the start menu and typing "Programs and Features". Click on the result and you'll get the Windows application to uninstall other applications. Look for something like "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" or "AMD Catalyst Display Driver" and uninstall that. Depending on how old your drivers are, it may say ATI instead of AMD.

If you don't see anything AMD/ATI Catalyst related, you're probably using the default drivers from Windows Update, in which case there's nothing to uninstall.

For new drivers, head over to AMD.com and search for drivers for your card. Or just click this:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

You'll want the latest beta driver, and ignore the rest of the downloads on the page. I would check there again just before Tomb Raider releases, as it's entirely possible that they'll release a new beta driver with performance improvements for the game. (It doesn't list what beta version it currently is, but if you hover over the download link, you can see that as of this writing it's Beta 6)

EDIT: Something I completely forgot about... what model of Dell system do you have? I just want to look up online to be sure the video card will physically fit. It's going to be much larger than the 5450.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 02:54
I have the Dell Studio XPS 7100. Let me know what you find.

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 03:05
I have the Dell Studio XPS 7100. Let me know what you find.

Thanks for all your help by the way.

No problem!

Looked it up and you're good to go. Dell sold configurations of it with the same wattage power supply and a Radeon 5870, which is noticeably longer and consumes more power than the 7850. Assuming it's actually the same power supply and not just one with the same watt rating, it looks like you should also have the necessary PCIe power connector.

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/721/dell-xps-7100-10-wiring.jpg

If it's the same power supply, look for the bundle of yellow+black wires.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 07:57
I realized I never gave you what the DC output ratings were, and apparently that's important (especially what's on the 12V line)

My power supply is an AcBel.

+3.3V 17.0A
+5.0V 25.0A
Total: 142W

+12.0VA 18.0A
+12.0VB 15.0A
+12.0VC 8.0A
Total: 385W

-12.0V 0.3A
+5.0V 2.0A

Do these numbers mean anything to you? I know I sound like a broken record here, but I just want to be certain I will be all right with that video card (the 7850), because I see people all over the net saying different things and I'm not sure what to believe...although you do seem to know what you're talking about.

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 08:10
I realized I never gave you what the DC output ratings were, and apparently that's important (especially what's on the 12V line)

+3.3V 17.0A
+5.0V 25.0A

+12.0VA 18.0A
+12.0VB 15.0A
+12.0VC 8.0A

-12.0V 0.3A
+5.0V 2.0A

Do these numbers mean anything to you? I know I sound like a broken record here, but I just want to be certain I will be all right with that video card (the 7850), because I see people all over the net saying different things and I'm not sure what to believe...although you do seem to know what you're talking about.

yeah, i also get a bit confused what is what instead writing down how much volt it has, etc.
i personally have a 500W, 2x12V (i think) and it supplies my 7870 card just fine.

if you got yours recently, then it should work just fine. the way i see it, you have a 500W, and and 12V. so i would say it will support the card.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 08:11

+3.3V 17.0A
+5.0V 25.0A

+12.0VA 18.0A
+12.0VB 15.0A
+12.0VC 8.0A

-12.0V 0.3A
+5.0V 2.0A

No worries, I would be cautious about dropping $200 on a single piece of hardware if I wasn't sure it was going to work :)

I compared those values to the ones on the power supply in the anandtech article (where i linked the pic of the interior, here's the closeup of the power supply: http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/721/dell-xps-7100-14-psu-zoom.jpg) and they appear to be the same. PCI express power connectors run on the 12V rail - that spec is not video-card specific. Since that power supply can handle the 5870, it'll definitely handle the 7850, as it's less power hungry than the 5870.

Edit: Didn't see that you said your power supply is an AcBel. That one is a Delta. Give me a minute to check up on AcBel. Spec-wise it's identical, just want to make sure AcBel makes decent power supplies.

Edit 2: While the Delta is better (basically, the AcBel can handle right up to 460, while the Delta can actually handle slightly over 500 despite being rated for 460), what you have is still more than adequate. Power consumption of that system with a 5870 under full CPU+GPU load is about 300W, and the 7850 consumes about 60W less than the 5870 at full load, leaving you with plenty of headroom.

yeah, i also get a bit confused what is what instead writing down how much volt it has, etc.
i personally have a 500W, 2x12V (i think) and it supplies my 7870 card just fine.

if you got yours recently, then it should work just fine. the way i see it, you have a 500W, and and 12V. so i would say it will support the card.

Every power supply will have at least one 12V rail, what really matters is the amps on the rails and how much stuff is connected to it. The PCIe connector is almost certainly connected to to the 12V/18A rail (for a maximum of 216W on that individual rail, to say nothing of the others). The slot itself can provide 75W, and a 6-pin PCIe power adapter can provide an additional 75W, creating a theoretical maximum power consumption of 150W when a 6-pin power connection is used (8-pin can provide 150W, but the 7850 only requires a 6-pin). In practice, a stock 7850 will pull about 115W under full load.

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 08:53
Every power supply will have at least one 12V rail, what really matters is the amps on the rails and how much stuff is connected to it. The PCIe connector is almost certainly connected to to the 12V/18A rail (for a maximum of 216W on that individual rail, to say nothing of the others). The slot itself can provide 75W, and a 6-pin PCIe power adapter can provide an additional 75W, creating a theoretical maximum power consumption of 150W when a 6-pin power connection is used (8-pin can provide 150W, but the 7850 only requires a 6-pin). In practice, a stock 7850 will pull about 115W under full load.

i see. thanks for the info.
what my problem is, how to read the label. i see like several numbers written in one section, that i really have no idea what of them is right.
can you explain how to read it?

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 09:08
i see. thanks for the info.
what my problem is, how to read the label. i see like several numbers written in one section, that i really have no idea what of them is right.
can you explain how to read it?

Can you post a picture of the label?

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 09:20
Can you post a picture of the label?

lol. sorry. i dint mean mine. i know mine can handle all my hardware. besides, i have to unscrew my power supply to read the label.
you just posted a pic of a label on the last page. i dont know what it has. how do i read this?

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 09:50
lol. sorry. i dint mean mine. i know mine can handle all my hardware. besides, i have to unscrew my power supply to read the label.
you just posted a pic of a label on the last page. i dont know what it has. how do i read this?

Oh, right, okay.

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/721/dell-xps-7100-14-psu-zoom.jpg
First off, being in two languages makes this super messy to read :P I'll point out the relevant bits.

Input: 100-240V/8A, 47-63Hz
This is the power coming from the wall. In North America, AC power is 110-120V at 60Hz. In most other parts of the world, it's 220-240V at 50Hz.

Output
+5V/25A
+3.3V/17A
+12VA/18A
+12VB/15A
+12VC/8A
-12V/0.3A

These are the individual power rails. Watts are voltage times amps, so we get the following maximum numbers: 5V/125W, 3.3V/56W, 12VA/216W, 12VB/180W, 12VC/96W. While there's a bit more to the -12V line if you want to get technical, it basically acts as the ground. Yes, all of these add up to more than 460W. More on that below.

Max Power: 460W
Pretty self-explanitory, I think :D

Now, we get to the "max combined power" section. You'll notice above that the numbers add up to much more than 460W. This is because everything is not additive. For example, the combined max output of the three 12V rails is 385W, even though they add up to 492. What happens here is that each rail can be loaded up to its maximum, but all three have to stay under a certain limit. You could put a full load on the 12VA rail (216W) and the 12VC rail (96W), but as the limit for all three is 385W, you'd only be able to get 73W of output from the 12VB rail. The loads put on the rails must meet the requirements of 1) Not exceeding their individual capacities, and 2) Not exceeding their maximum combined capacity. They can be loaded to any capacity safely as long as those conditions are met.

Most modern high-end power supplies simplify this a bit and use individual, huge rails. My power supply, for example, has a single 12V rail rated at 70 amps. There are arguments as to which configuration is better, but things have been moving toward single-rail setups.

The total output (460W in this case) works the same way. You can load sets of rails up as high as you want, as long as 1) The capacity for a set of rails is not exceeded, and 2) The total capacity is not exceeded.

There are two more things that are not listed on this power supply (or at least not on this label): efficiency, and de-rating curve.

Efficiency relates to how much power it needs to pull from the wall in order to provide an the proper amount of power to components. The output rating of a power supply is always listed by what it's able to provide to the components - what it pulls from the wall will actually be higher. You'll see a lot of power supplies with ratings like "80 PLUS BRONZE/SILVER/GOLD/PLATINUM". There's an actual standard for the efficiency required on those, but to make it easy on us, it means they deliver about 80% efficiency. This is actually good - go back 10 years, and many power supplies provided maybe 50% efficiency. To find actual power draw, you use the equation (Power Required By Components)/(Efficiency/100). So, if you had components that required 400W of power and the power supply was running at 80% efficiency, you'd do 400/.8 = 500W of actual power draw at the wall.

De-rating curve is used to deal with loss of maximum output when temperature exceeds a certain level. A power supply may list a maximum temperture of 30C and a de-rating curve of -1W/1C. What this means is that for every degree Celsius above 30C, the power supply will lose 1W from its maximum output. This really is not a problem unless you're in an extremely hot environment (or if the power supply has poor airflow due to being blocked or having a dead fan) and pushing the power supply very close to its limit.

Hopefully that all made sense :)

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 12:55
wow. thanks for this long explanation.
to be really honest, i understood maybe half of it. the rest made me like this :nut::nut::nut:

im a sucker with numbers and especially maths. :(
but it did explain some of the questions i had. now i understand less then half of the label then i did before. :)

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 13:22
wow. thanks for this long explanation.
to be really honest, i understood maybe half of it. the rest made me like this :nut::nut::nut:

im a sucker with numbers and especially maths. :(
but it did explain some of the questions i had. now i understand less then half of the label then i did before. :)

Half is better than none! :P

It's really all basic electrical common sense on a smaller scale. You wouldn't get a 6-outlet power strip and try to run 6 microwaves off of it - that would be a great way to trip a breaker, blow a fuse, or start a fire. The same applies to computers - you don't want to get a bunch of adapters and try to split a single connector enough times to run 3 video cards from it. A good basic rule is to only use an adapter to convert from one type of connector to another, but not to split and add more connectors than the power supply already has. And, as with power strips, it actually is okay to split to add more for low-power components like fans, but when it comes to power-hungry components like video cards, you should upgrade your power supply if it doesn't have enough of the proper connectors out of the box.

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 13:56
Half is better than none! :P

It's really all basic electrical common sense on a smaller scale. You wouldn't get a 6-outlet power strip and try to run 6 microwaves off of it - that would be a great way to trip a breaker, blow a fuse, or start a fire. The same applies to computers - you don't want to get a bunch of adapters and try to split a single connector enough times to run 3 video cards from it. A good basic rule is to only use an adapter to convert from one type of connector to another, but not to split and add more connectors than the power supply already has. And, as with power strips, it actually is okay to split to add more for low-power components like fans, but when it comes to power-hungry components like video cards, you should upgrade your power supply if it doesn't have enough of the proper connectors out of the box.

lol. true.
you can say i know enough not to get electrocuted and what is more or less a power eater.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 13:59
lol. true.
you can say i know enough not to get electrocuted and what is more or less a power eater.

Do yourself a favor and never learn a lot about electricity. When it comes to power flowing through wires, ignorance is bliss. The stuff is scary as <insert expletive of your choice here> when you actually learn about it.

The_Hylden
24th Feb 2013, 14:17
Fellas, please edit your posts, instead of double posting. Thanks :)

Here's how to use the Multi-Quote (http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php#faq_multiquote) feature, if you need that.

Metalrocks
24th Feb 2013, 14:33
Fellas, please edit your posts, instead of double posting. Thanks :)

Here's how to use the Multi-Quote (http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php#faq_multiquote) feature, if you need that.

dint know we are double posting. :scratch:
unless you mean we shoulndt always quote on each others posts.

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 14:37
Hi again guys!

I saw your talking about PSU's and i have question about it(as always).
Before i buy 7870 i would like to OC my 5770,but i don't know will my PSU handle OC with raising voltage.
I have some old weird PSU,and i wanted to shot some photos of it,but since i don't have camera,i did it with webcam.
I put one picture,but quality is terrible.

jnytgl_Picture-4.jpg

If you need detailed info of 12A+ or whatever that means(im really not in PSU)post it on forum.

Once again sorry for bad quality

The_Hylden
24th Feb 2013, 14:56
dint know we are double posting. :scratch:
unless you mean we shoulndt always quote on each others posts.

No, if you look above I merged two of Martelol's posts, and on the previous page, two consecutive rlestra5's posts. It's happened in more than this thread, so I just left a general head's up for everyone, not to single any one person out.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 19:13
Hey Martelol,

This thread got a little off topic so I sent you a PM.

Let me know if you received it.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
24th Feb 2013, 19:54
Guys, guys (and gals)!

AMD is about to present "tressfx" on February 26:
http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

People are already speculating that it might be AMD's equivalent of nVidia's PhysX (realistic physics, including HAIR PHYSICS).
Could it be releated to a "secret DX11 feature" the PC version of Tomb Raider supports?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515476

Wow, that would be AWESOME.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 20:42
Hi again guys!

I saw your talking about PSU's and i have question about it(as always).
Before i buy 7870 i would like to OC my 5770,but i don't know will my PSU handle OC with raising voltage.
I have some old weird PSU,and i wanted to shot some photos of it,but since i don't have camera,i did it with webcam.
I put one picture,but quality is terrible.

<pic>

If you need detailed info of 12A+ or whatever that means(im really not in PSU)post it on forum.

Once again sorry for bad quality

Not the strongest PSU, but you should be fine. Because the PCIe slot is limited to providing 75W of power, and a 6-pin PCIe power connector is also rated for 75W, the 5770 won't be able to pull more than 150W. Just know that the 5770s aren't the most amazing overclockers - if an extra 10-15% isn't enough that you think you'll be happy with its performance, you're going to be disappointed.

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 21:01
Martelol,

If for some reason I purchase the 7850 and I'm experiencing problems, will I be able to return it and go back to my original card?

LOL I don't know why I'm so worried but it's just the vast amount of people I've talked to have basically said, "It won't work. You need a 600-700W power supply for this card to work" or "You need a new motherboard" or something else.

Based on what you've told me so far, are these people just THAT informed about video cards, power supplies, etc?

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 21:06
Martelol,

If for some reason I purchase the 7850 and I'm experiencing problems, will I be able to return it and go back to my original card?

LOL I don't know why I'm so worried but it's just the vast amount of people I've talked to have basically said, "It won't work. You need a 600-700W power supply for this card to work" or "You need a new motherboard" or something else.

Based on what you've told me so far, are these people just THAT informed about video cards, power supplies, etc?

It depends on the retailer. In the case of newegg, look for cards that say "VGA Standard Return Policy" rather than "VGA Replacement Only Return Policy". For newegg's standard 30 day return policy, you can return it for refund or replacement within 30 days. Details here: http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#30

Edit: For the cards that have a rebate and/or the two free games offer, do NOT cut off the UPC or scratch the card for the free games code until you're sure you're going to keep the card. If you decide to return it for refund or replacement, the UPC needs to be there. If you return it for refund, you will have to return the free games coupon as well.

Your power supply will be fine with the card, I'm sure of it :)

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 21:09
Okay, it's covered by the Standard Return Policy. Just checked.

You're saying to go with this one, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-999&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 21:13
Okay, it's covered by the Standard Return Policy. Just checked.

You're saying to go with this one, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-999&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Yes. There's another identical Sapphire card for an identical price. The one you linked there has a slight factory overclock, but the cards themselves are actually identical - hence the identical price. If you don't feel like overclocking yourself, think of it as a tiny bit of extra performance for no extra cost :)

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 21:15
I don't know anything about overclocking or what it is or how to do it, etc.

Which card should I go with?

Can you just paste the link in for me again?

Sorry for all the trouble but I appreciate your help.

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 21:16
I don't know anything about overclocking or what it is or how to do it, etc.

Which card should I go with?

Can you just paste the link in for me again?

Sorry for all the trouble but I appreciate your help.

I will PM you in order to keep this thread clean. Watch your PM inbox :)

rlestra5
24th Feb 2013, 21:18
Thanks I will look out for your PM

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 21:22
Not the strongest PSU, but you should be fine. Because the PCIe slot is limited to providing 75W of power, and a 6-pin PCIe power connector is also rated for 75W, the 5770 won't be able to pull more than 150W. Just know that the 5770s aren't the most amazing overclockers - if an extra 10-15% isn't enough that you think you'll be happy with its performance, you're going to be disappointed.

Thanks man,however if you have little time,i would like to ask you this:i try to overclock 5770 with Catalyst and MSI Afterburner,but i didn't get any FPS increase.
From stock 850/1200 i OC it on 900/1300 and no difference,then i try to go bit more and i OC it on 950/1350 and still nothing.
But when i try to play NFS Shift,game crashes because too much OC.
Can you give me advice please?

EDIT:

PS
i have Intel Duo Core2 E6550, so i was thinking im getting bottleneck,but few months ago ,when i started OC things,i succeed and get 8-10 FPS more.And i didn't raise watts

And sorry for Off topic,i will send you PM if you want. :)

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 21:52
Thanks man,however if you have little time,i would like to ask you this:i try to overclock 5770 with Catalyst and MSI Afterburner,but i didn't get any FPS increase.
From stock 850/1200 i OC it on 900/1300 and no difference,then i try to go bit more and i OC it on 950/1350 and still nothing.
But when i try to play NFS Shift,game crashes because too much OC.
Can you give me advice please?

EDIT:

PS
i have Intel Duo Core2 E6550, so i was thinking im getting bottleneck,but few months ago ,when i started OC things,i succeed and get 8-10 FPS more.And i didn't raise watts

And sorry for Off topic,i will send you PM if you want. :)

I'll reply to this here as it could be relevant to others reading.

It varies from game to game, but as I came from a Core 2 Duo E6600 about 1.5 years ago, it's very likely that you're being CPU limited in some games. If you want to verify, download the Unigine Heaven benchmark from http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

It's a GPU benchmark, it doesn't really place stress on the CPU, and as such you should see gains/losses based on your GPU overclock. It also serves as a great stress test for making sure your OC is stable.

Note that AMD cards use a form of error correcting memory. The result is that while too high of a core overclock will cause crashes, too high of a memory overclock will not. Instead, operations will re-run in memory until the correct result occurs. The end result of this is that too high of a memory clock will actually reduce performance, and the only way to figure it out is to reduce your memory OC and see if performance goes up.

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 21:57
I'll reply to this here as it could be relevant to others reading.

It varies from game to game, but as I came from a Core 2 Duo E6600 about 1.5 years ago, it's very likely that you're being CPU limited in some games. If you want to verify, download the Unigine Heaven benchmark from http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

It's a GPU benchmark, it doesn't really place stress on the CPU, and as such you should see gains/losses based on your GPU overclock. It also serves as a great stress test for making sure your OC is stable.

Note that AMD cards use a form of error correcting memory. The result is that while too high of a core overclock will cause crashes, too high of a memory overclock will not. Instead, operations will re-run in memory until the correct result occurs. The end result of this is that too high of a memory clock will actually reduce performance, and the only way to figure it out is to reduce your memory OC and see if performance goes up.

I already did benchmarking with Unigine Heaven,and like i sad before,i get 8-10 FPS with OC,and same Core 2 Duo E6550,but since i didn't change CPU i decide to reset my OC values and that was about 6-7 months ago.
Now for 2 days i can't get same results like i did before,not even 1 FPS and that's what bothers me.:mad2:

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 22:01
I already did benchmarking with Unigine Heaven,and like i sad before,i get 8-10 FPS with OC,and same Core 2 Duo E6550,but since i didn't change CPU i decide to reset my OC values and that was about 6-7 months ago.
Now for 2 days i can't get same results like i did before,not even 1 FPS and that's what bothers me.:mad2:

Try lowering the settings in heaven. It might be that at such low FPS your overclock is difficult to see. Run it in DX9 mode at High rather than ultra, with no anti-aliasing, and see if you see an improvement between OC and no OC.

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 22:12
Try lowering the settings in heaven. It might be that at such low FPS your overclock is difficult to see. Run it in DX9 mode at High rather than ultra, with no anti-aliasing, and see if you see an improvement between OC and no OC.

I try it like you said,i got 2-3 FPS max,and after few seconds Heaven crashed.:mad2:
If i only knew what i did last time i OC it great...
Well,what do you say,should i raise Watts,but i never done that,and i can't find tutorial on internet.:mad2::mad2:

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 22:16
I try it like you said,i got 2-3 FPS max,and after few seconds Heaven crashed.:mad2:
If i only knew what i did last time i OC it great...
Well,what do you say,should i raise Watts,but i never done that,and i can't find tutorial on internet.:mad2::mad2:

You can try raising voltage, yeah. I wouldn't go above 1.275v on that card. Make sure you're watching temperatures when you increase the voltage as well.

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 22:21
You can try raising voltage, yeah. I wouldn't go above 1.275v on that card. Make sure you're watching temperatures when you increase the voltage as well.

Can you pleeeeasee tell me how to do that,and what program should i use,or can i do it on BIOS?

Thanks

TranceTrouble
24th Feb 2013, 22:24
Martelol, it might be interesting to open a different thread on how to boost or optimize a GPU to the game with a step by step guide if your up for it. ;)

Lara Croft 1993
24th Feb 2013, 22:25
Martelol, it might be interesting to open a different thread on how to boost or optimize a GPU to the game with a step by step guide if your up for it. ;)

Yeah!I totally agree!
He's helping us whole day,i just hope he won't give up on me :rolleyes:

Martelol
24th Feb 2013, 22:35
I'll do that. Should keep some of the cruft out of here and make it an easy thing for people to see rather than being mixed in with a bunch of unrelated stuff :)

pidipidi39
25th Feb 2013, 13:47
Hi folks :D

One question:
Can I run the new TR on my PC?

I don't know the specs... but I know that Tomb Raider: Underworld runs perfectly fluid with settings at max on my PC :)

Martelol
25th Feb 2013, 14:07

One question:

I don't know the specs... but I know that Tomb Raider: Underworld runs perfectly fluid with settings at max on my PC :)

No way of telling you without specs. TR:U is not particularly demanding.

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 14:25

One question:

Can you please go on >My Computer>System Properties and then check
Processor:
Installed Memory (RAM):

That will give us info about your CPU and RAM.
If you want you can check your GPU (which is most important):
Go on Start>type in Device Manager>then you'll saw Device Manager icon>then press that icon-
You should see this:

pfkqve_jkj.PNG

Then click on Display adapters-you should see what GPU series you have.
Then tell me and i'll check it on benchmarks.

PS

How big your monitor is,and on what resolution did you play TR:U?

I know this isn't professional guide but i did my best :D

EDIT:this works only for Windows 7

b.gluch
25th Feb 2013, 19:39
i have

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.50 GHz
Ram 8.2 GB
Nvidia (GeForce) GTX 650 Ti

i know i can run the game but will this run the highest settings?

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 19:56
i have

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.50 GHz
Ram 8.2 GB
Nvidia (GeForce) GTX 650 Ti

i know i can run the game but will this run the highest settings?

Hello and welcome to Tomb Raider forum!:wave:

You have good graphic card,but im not sure about your CPU,there is small chances that you will have bottleneck(at least i think so).

Yes,i think you will be able to play it on max settings,but im not sure you will be able to play it on Full HD (1920x1080).
If you want,try to overclock your both,CPU and GPU,but if your not familiar with overclocking,try do do a little research because your components may die if you overclock them too much.

If you have any other questions,feel free to ask!;)

The Pvs_BR
25th Feb 2013, 20:00
Will be able to run with:

Windows 7 - 32 bits
Intel Core i5-2300 (2,8GHZ) ---> Quad core
AMD Radeon HD 5750 - With 1GB Video RAM ( Directx 11)
4GB Memory DDR3

Lara Croft 1993
25th Feb 2013, 20:13
Will be able to run with:

Windows 7 - 32 bits
Intel Core i5-2300 (2,8GHZ) ---> Quad core
AMD Radeon HD 5750 - With 1GB Video RAM ( Directx 11)
4GB Memory DDR3

Hello,welcome to Tomb Raider forum.:wave:

You have good processor,but your graphic card is pretty weak.
You will be able to play it on 1600x900 on low-medium settings.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :wave:

pidipidi39
25th Feb 2013, 22:21
Can you please go on >My Computer>System Properties and then check
Processor:
Installed Memory (RAM):

That will give us info about your CPU and RAM.
If you want you can check your GPU (which is most important):
Go on Start>type in Device Manager>then you'll saw Device Manager icon>then press that icon-
You should see this:

pfkqve_jkj.PNG

Then click on Display adapters-you should see what GPU series you have.
Then tell me and i'll check it on benchmarks.

PS

How big your monitor is,and on what resolution did you play TR:U?

I know this isn't professional guide but i did my best :D

EDIT:this works only for Windows 7

Thank you for the help :D

jason95821
26th Feb 2013, 02:11
posting dxdiag below would like to know if my pc can handle it

Machine name: OWNER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 546S
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1823MB used, 6364MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68F9)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68F9&SUBSYS_03CA1043&REV_00
Display Memory: 2806 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor Name: Dell IN1910N(Analog)
Monitor Model: DELL IN1910N
Monitor Id: DELA04C
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.790Hz)

Martelol
26th Feb 2013, 03:01
Your video card is really skirting the minimum requirements. It'll probably run, but on low settings and not at a great framerate.

jason95821
26th Feb 2013, 03:12
thanx *never going to trust that canyourunit site again*:mad2:
so another witcher 2 for me lol
will have to wait for demo or when ever i mange to get a ps3

Shaikh
26th Feb 2013, 05:56
BTW, when HDD space requirements will be revealed. If it is something like Hitman: Absolution's 25GB HDD space, then I have many things to do with my HDD. :)

Lara Croft 1993
26th Feb 2013, 06:24
Thank you for the help :D

Your welcome!:D

Metalrocks
26th Feb 2013, 10:15
BTW, when HDD space requirements will be revealed. If it is something like Hitman: Absolution's 25GB HDD space, then I have many things to do with my HDD. :)

many things to do??? i better dont ask for what :p
anyway. if you have enough space like over 30gb free, then no worries. but if oyu use your HDD for other reasons, then build in a second one. i have 2 HDDs. my main for games, wile my second is for videos, music and other programs.

Shaikh
26th Feb 2013, 10:27
many things to do??? i better dont ask for what :p
anyway. if you have enough space like over 30gb free, then no worries. but if oyu use your HDD for other reasons, then build in a second one. i have 2 HDDs. my main for games, wile my second is for videos, music and other programs.
No, there's nothing which think there is. :p

I have few games which I need to finish ASAP. Like Crysis 3 is taking 14GB, Dead Space 3 is taking 10GB and Alan Wake is taking 8GB. These games I haven't started yet as I am traveling for last two weeks. I should try to finish Crysis 3 fast as its only 5 hours game. Beside these, I have other big size games as well, like Darksiders1 of 9GB which is 50% completed. At the moment I have like 15GB free spaces. :)

Metalrocks
26th Feb 2013, 11:09
No, there's nothing which think there is. :p

I have few games which I need to finish ASAP. Like Crysis 3 is taking 14GB, Dead Space 3 is taking 10GB and Alan Wake is taking 8GB. These games I haven't started yet as I am traveling for last two weeks. I should try to finish Crysis 3 fast as its only 5 hours game. Beside these, I have other big size games as well, like Darksiders1 of 9GB which is 50% completed. At the moment I have like 15GB free spaces. :)

thats not much. sounds like you have a 50gb HDD or so.
then you really have to get a second one. i have a 1 TRB HDD. so i can save a lot of games on it :)