PDA

View Full Version : Does Adam believe in God?

jjc
19th Apr 2012, 01:26
Please please please, read first. I'm not interested in your personal opinion, nor are you interested in mine. There are numerous other forums out there that have already settled the issue, along with which candidate is best for the country and Pepsi v. Coke.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, based on evidence of story events, on whether or not what Adam has experienced has informed a belief/disbelief in a higher power. He's able to verbally spar with Zelazny, so that tells me he at least knows some Scripture.

Zerim
19th Apr 2012, 03:48
I think the design philosophies of Deus Ex would aim for the answer to that question to be; "Well, did YOU believe in god as you played?" Since in Deus Ex the character is supposed to be a direct representation of the player- his avatar.

But obviously Human Revolution didn't do that perfectly (or even much at all actually), but I just thought I'd throw that out there as a reminder since I believe it is important to always keep in mind.

No, I don't think Adam believes in God. I seriously can't think of any direct quotes right now, but I seem to remember him saying things that kind of seemed to indicate he didn't think highly of a religious way of thinking.

To me, the whole game world gave the impression that by 2027 religion in general was pretty much on the way out- One thing I liked immensely with the writing was that none of the major philosophical arguments in the game really depended on religion for their backbones, even stuff like Purists were often times actually coming from a perspective of skepticism and evolutionary history. Most of the Purist grunts said things along the lines of "God hates Sarif" and so on, but the main philosophical agents of the philosophy like Taggart actually had pretty compelling logical arguments. I liked that, not because I hate to see religion in games or anything, but because I think basing the game's philosophy on something more based in logic is more thought provoking for the player.

xaduha
19th Apr 2012, 04:33
Which one?

JCpies
19th Apr 2012, 06:03
I think he's more of a humanist.

From how he's been presented in cutscenes and the ending, and some of the dialogue choices anyway.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Apr 2012, 10:55
I think he's more of a humanist.

Yeah, and a Vegetarian too who loves to consume Cyberboost Energy Bars! :p

lowenz
19th Apr 2012, 14:15
Believe in christian God ? I don't think.
Nor "believe", nor "christian", nor "God".

Obviously he can be theist without all the three above, but not a religious one.

lowenz
19th Apr 2012, 14:25
so that tells me he at least knows some Scripture.
Everyone "at least knows some Scripture" in USA, religious people and not, so it's not very informative :D

Nathan2000
20th Apr 2012, 13:48
From the way Adam distances himself from Isaias Sandoval's faith, "that higher court of yours", I'd say he doesn't.

sonicsidewinder
20th Apr 2012, 17:29
Not my AJ.

Charles_Phipps
5th Apr 2013, 07:17
Mine does.

I think he's probably a believer in God but apathetic.

TrickyVein
5th Apr 2013, 12:43
I thought god was from the machine.

EricaLeeV
5th Apr 2013, 13:50
The Deus Ex protagonists in general don't seem very religious at all, though there is symbolism of that sort present in the games.

He's able to verbally spar with Zelazny, so that tells me he at least knows some Scripture.

Yeah, Lowenz is right on this one. Living in the US there are certain individuals who are very verbal about their love of religion even when the situation never calls for it. ...believe me, where I live, I should know.

CyberP
5th Apr 2013, 14:33
I think the design philosophies of Deus Ex would aim for the answer to that question to be; "Well, did YOU believe in god as you played?" Since in Deus Ex the character is supposed to be a direct representation of the player- his avatar.

But obviously Human Revolution didn't do that perfectly (or even much at all actually), but I just thought I'd throw that out there as a reminder since I believe it is important to always keep in mind.

No, I don't think Adam believes in God. I seriously can't think of any direct quotes right now, but I seem to remember him saying things that kind of seemed to indicate he didn't think highly of a religious way of thinking.

To me, the whole game world gave the impression that by 2027 religion in general was pretty much on the way out- One thing I liked immensely with the writing was that none of the major philosophical arguments in the game really depended on religion for their backbones, even stuff like Purists were often times actually coming from a perspective of skepticism and evolutionary history. Most of the Purist grunts said things along the lines of "God hates Sarif" and so on, but the main philosophical agents of the philosophy like Taggart actually had pretty compelling logical arguments. I liked that, not because I hate to see religion in games or anything, but because I think basing the game's philosophy on something more based in logic is more thought provoking for the player.

:thumb:

Spyhopping
5th Apr 2013, 14:42
My idea of AJ is that he's quite pragmatic about things, and probably too cynical to believe in a deity. I'd like to think he's well read enough to have made his decision in a well reasoned way, rather than just being ignorant.

As for "God from the machine", the DX version of it seems to be more of a reference to human achievement than an actual religious idea of God. Forgive me if I'm pointing out the completely obvious here. :P

Ilves
5th Apr 2013, 15:44
I don't think religion is a true theme in HR beyond mere mentions here and there. Overall the whole feel of the game is pretty godless.

But then again, none of the characters felt truly alive to me in the first place, so I can't make sense of their perceived religiosity either.

Shralla
5th Apr 2013, 19:17
He might if he met JC Denton.