PDA

View Full Version : Not Deux Ex movie but TV series?

cigla
5th Apr 2012, 11:02
Hy fans!
I think it will be better to make deus ex in tv series then make some movie because this big story can't fit in one movie. What are you think about that?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Apr 2012, 12:38
I'd watch it... so long as it doesn't clash with Game of Thrones. :D

Ashpolt
5th Apr 2012, 16:18
Deus Ex, more even than most games, is defined by its interactivity and reactivity. Transferring it to a strictly non-interactive medium, whether that's film or TV, would tear out the very heart of the franchise.

JCpies
5th Apr 2012, 18:01
Unless it was an interactive TV series with the four way conversation mechanic!

Umodian
5th Apr 2012, 19:12
If they could capture the feel and cyberpunk aesthetic I'd be quite interested. Don't call it Deus Ex though, but use the same universe and I think it could work.

HERESY
6th Apr 2012, 01:40
@the OP, I think it would be great if handled correctly and it's not like the IP hasn't already hit non-interactive mediums (see novel.) If Eidos (or whoever owns the IP) were smart they'd go transmedia all the way.

Livesundersink
9th Apr 2012, 12:26
Hy fans!
I think it will be better to make deus ex in tv series then make some movie because this big story can't fit in one movie. What are you think about that?

no offence but im seriously doubtful as "ALL" film adaptations of video games have been terrible and i would like for deus ex to not be tainted as such.

glyph07
16th Apr 2012, 13:15
I'd rather not have any, and I mean any type of screen version of a game I loved. They come out always disappointing. Am I the only one who thinks that the adaptation of contents from one media to another is not always a good way forward? What I'm trying to say, and apology if I might not be clear enough, is that the "magic" of an experience is sometimes spcifically linked to the tools used to communicate it. Changing the tools and adapting the experience to some others, sometimes, is just wrong and results in producing something which, in the end, is a completely different product, far from the expectations of the people who enjoyed the original one.

Also, it seems to me that by forcibly adapting game contents to suit tv or movie needs, kind of takes away the uniquness of the gaiming experience.

hellrasinbrasin
17th Apr 2012, 15:22
Could Deus Ex work as a 4 part 16 hour Mini-Series... Yes. The Dystopian nature of Deus Ex could be told in three forks:

1.Through Media
2.Politics/Corporations
3.From the perspective of the people living in this world

glyph07
17th Apr 2012, 17:03
Well then, what is your opinion on Icarus Effect ?

The Icarus Effetc is a completely different matter. The story is born as a light piece of sci-fi and tells a plot that is almost completely detached from DX:HR. The 2 can exist without the others and the little more details given, for example, on Jerome don't add or take anything from the character as encountered in the game.

My perplexity only concerns actual games adapted for tv or cinema. When I saw Hitman (the movie) I almost vomited and I wasn't even very much attached to the game character as I am to JC, Adam and Garrett to name just few.

Shralla
17th Apr 2012, 19:04
But that's because it was a bad movie. Nobody's asking if you'd like to see Deus Ex turned into a bad movie or TV series.

glyph07
17th Apr 2012, 19:13
But that's because it was a bad movie. Nobody's asking if you'd like to see Deus Ex turned into a bad movie or TV series.

Absolutely, and yet as none of us has any guarantee that the final product will be worth while the effort, but on the other hands, we have plenty, plenty of examples of movies/tv series that are the result of books/games adaptations whose quality is just below any decency, I'd rather keep the magic of the game by itself and let the movie industry find good original scripts to turn into pictures. Besides, there are plenty screen writers unemployed with drawers filled with good new ideas! ;)

Shralla
18th Apr 2012, 01:56
Besides, there are plenty screen writers unemployed with drawers filled with good new ideas! ;)

I don't believe you, looking at the movie industry.

JCpies
18th Apr 2012, 05:39
Deus Ex book game.

glyph07
18th Apr 2012, 06:06
I don't believe you, looking at the movie industry.

U don't have to believe me, I'm not oracle or fortune teller. I think there are plenty of good movies done and original screenplays not yet discovered (I'm not going into the reasons why this happens). I don't understand your last comment though. It seems you have quite a bad opinion of the movie industry and yet you advocate for one of your favourite game to be ruined by a bad movie?! :scratch:

HERESY
21st Apr 2012, 17:55
The good ole boy network in Hollywood has been shelving good idea after good idea because they thrive on an OLD business model.

If budget constraints aren't factors, and the IP has enough following, the proper thing to do would be to branch out and hit as many formats as possible. However, you need the right TEAM to do it and everyone has to operate with complete transparency.

Shralla
21st Apr 2012, 19:12
It seems you have quite a bad opinion of the movie industry and yet you advocate for one of your favourite game to be ruined by a bad movie?! :scratch:

Like I said, nobody's asking if you want to see DX turned into a bad movie. Keep up.

glyph07
22nd Apr 2012, 14:42
Like I said, nobody's asking if you want to see DX turned into a bad movie. Keep up.

Keep up what Shralla?! Your rumbling about reasonments you don't evidently even grasp? That's sooooo disappointing! Why people like u keep posting their comments on forums and wasting others time!!!!

Shralla
23rd Apr 2012, 01:33
...what

OMGITSJASON
23rd Apr 2012, 02:44
I'd watch it... so long as it doesn't clash with Game of Thrones. :D

This. And Grimm. Those are my two shows that can't be interrupted oh and The Walking Dead.

JCpies
23rd Apr 2012, 06:36
Keep up what Shralla?! Your rumbling about reasonments you don't evidently even grasp? That's sooooo disappointing! Why people like u keep posting their comments on forums and wasting others time!!!!

What is "reasonments"?

glyph07
23rd Apr 2012, 18:11
What is "reasonments"?

Oh boy, my mistake, I meant reasoning, apologies :o en. is not my native language....though....it doesn't change the point:

- I don't want a bad movie for DX:HR (so Shralla dear, keep up, it's true no-one is asking if I want the game turned into a bad movie, I certainly don't want it either, but it might happen anyway)
- The fact is that there's plenty of bad adaptations which means there are high chances that a movie on DX:HR is going to turn bad
- As such, I'd rather not take the risk, keep the game as it is and live cinema and tv busy with other contents

HERESY
23rd Apr 2012, 22:13
Oh boy, my mistake, I meant reasoning, apologies :o en. is not my native language....though....it doesn't change the point:

- I don't want a bad movie for DX:HR (so Shralla dear, keep up, it's true no-one is asking if I want the game turned into a bad movie, I certainly don't want it either, but it might happen anyway)
- The fact is that there's plenty of bad adaptations which means there are high chances that a movie on DX:HR is going to turn bad
- As such, I'd rather not take the risk, keep the game as it is and live cinema and tv busy with other contents

Why are there plenty of bad adaptions?

glyph07
24th Apr 2012, 21:26
Resident Evil, Hitman, Alone in the Dark, Prince of Persia....shall I mention more?

HERESY
25th Apr 2012, 17:21
Resident Evil, Hitman, Alone in the Dark, Prince of Persia....shall I mention more?

This doesn't answer my question.

Why are there plenty of bad adaptions?

glyph07
27th Apr 2012, 12:18
I thought u meant to ask me "why did I state so", and therefore I replied offering some proofs of the "why".

If you, instead, meant to ask me why such productions have been consistently so crap, I have no idea whatsoever.

Maybe it is believed that only a very young target audience is interested in these kind of adaptations (a target, I might add, also believed to not possess any taste whatsoever) and therefore it is preferred to spend more effort in producing idiotic blockbusters, rather than maintaining the true spirits of the games.

Maybe it is difficult to find high profile directors and screenwriters who would like to be engaged in such projects.

What about yourself? Have you been able to formulate your own opinion on the matter?

HERESY
28th Apr 2012, 21:06
I thought u meant to ask me "why did I state so", and therefore I replied offering some proofs of the "why".

I meant to ask you exactly what I asked you.

If you, instead, meant to ask me why such productions have been consistently so crap, I have no idea whatsoever.

So you say thumbs down to a DX movie or series without even knowing why crappy productions exist in the first place? This sounds reasonable to you?

Maybe it is believed that only a very young target audience is interested in these kind of adaptations (a target, I might add, also believed to not possess any taste whatsoever) and therefore it is preferred to spend more effort in producing idiotic blockbusters, rather than maintaining the true spirits of the games.

Crappy adaptions are usually the result of contracts and the relationship between licensor and licensee. A company/licensor will license out the rights of the IP yet retain no creative control (or have very limited creative control) and the licensor usually does NOT have a person working in conjuction with the licensee or on the licensee's board.

Maybe it is difficult to find high profile directors and screenwriters who would like to be engaged in such projects.

That's not it. It comes down to the keeping the integrity of the IP and many times the integrity is lost because the licensor made a bad choice in licensee.

What about yourself? Have you been able to formulate your own opinion on the matter?

See above and my take is based on doing a lot of research for my companies business plan, investors package, feasibility study, swot and personal/professional experience. Another thing that you shouldn't forget is that Hollywood operates in a bubble and very outdated business model. Part of this outdated business model is the reliance on sequels to get the job done instead of new IP's. Even worse, the fact that Hollywood continues to plunk down money on live action budgets when the MPAA and Nielsen have shown that it's counterproductive and counterintuitive.

glyph07
29th Apr 2012, 10:35
I meant to ask you exactly what I asked you.

*moderator edit* content deleted

So you say thumbs down to a DX movie or series without even knowing why crappy productions exist in the first place? This sounds reasonable to you?

Again....are u out of your mind? Why the causes of an event should influence the observation over the reality of its result? I don't have any influence over the process, but I am bloody free to have an opinion on the product.

(...) See above and my take is based on doing a lot of research for my companies business plan, investors package, feasibility study, swot and personal/professional experience. Another thing that you shouldn't forget is that Hollywood operates in a bubble and very outdated business model. Part of this outdated business model is the reliance on sequels to get the job done instead of new IP's. Even worse, the fact that Hollywood continues to plunk down money on live action budgets when the MPAA and Nielsen have shown that it's counterproductive and counterintuitive.

Thanks for the lecture "professor" :D, your knowledge has enlightend me....though....did not given me any acceptable reason to change my opinion. The fact is that adaptations of games have been so far horrid, and therefore I wouldn't like the movie industry, especially Holliwood, (btw....maybe there are others, u know) to take on board a project for DX:HR. Period.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Apr 2012, 00:17
Keep discussion respectful please.
Omar-kind don't like to issue infractions; but we must because not everybody has yet undergone modification... sadly. :hmm:
Omar can help you with this... just read and understand the ToU. It's that simple.

glyph07
30th Apr 2012, 07:43
There you go Viktoria I edited according to what explained you privately. I suppose I don't do anything wrong by asking H. to show a bit of sense of humor right? So I put the accused word into brakets adding a nice smily face.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Apr 2012, 08:22
Thank you... just trying to keep this forum a positive place for everyone to post and feel comfortable in. Its fine to disagree with each other... but we can do that without making things 'personal'. :thumb:

[FGS]Shadowrunner
30th Apr 2012, 14:16
I would rather see 3 movies than 3 TV series.

Quality not quantity.

Unless the budget was going to be a major news story in itself, I just don't believe in these present times that TV would maximize the potential of the story and franchise. I feel you would end up with some kind of animation like Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury that no-one ever sees, or some very bad television with low budget locations, atrocious special effects and the entire Deus Ex series being filmed in Wilmington South Carolina.

TV companies would I feel, not be interested anyway, too many different foreign locations within the story. Economic climate doesn't warrant such massive expenditure.

Having said this, I was always appalled at how Frank Herbert's "Dune" trilogy was bastardized for movie audiences. It's really one of those movies where special effects should have been fired and John Dykstra called in to fix the job too. It really suffers from penny-pinching and corner-cutting with the story.

But if you are faced with budget constraints, story does go out of the window. A DX movie is very unlikely to tell the whole story and many priceless characters and experiences would disappear. Take a look at Warren Spector's other ideas, Wing Commander for example, that movie is fairly terrible and doesn't do the game any justice, or give the movie audience a sense of the innovations of the game either.

I'd say... make more games, comics, books and online experiences. I'm not desperate to see TV or movies of DX, it's a challenge beyond filmmakers capability I feel, at the moment at least.

And I'm asking myself, is it going to sell more games?

Romeo
30th Apr 2012, 21:03
Shadowrunner;1753038']I would rather see 3 movies than 3 TV series.

Quality not quantity.

Unless the budget was going to be a major news story in itself, I just don't believe in these present times that TV would maximize the potential of the story and franchise. I feel you would end up with some kind of animation like Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury that no-one ever sees, or some very bad television with low budget locations, atrocious special effects and the entire Deus Ex series being filmed in Wilmington South Carolina.

TV companies would I feel, not be interested anyway, too many different foreign locations within the story. Economic climate doesn't warrant such massive expenditure.

Having said this, I was always appalled at how Frank Herbert's "Dune" trilogy was bastardized for movie audiences. It's really one of those movies where special effects should have been fired and John Dykstra called in to fix the job too. It really suffers from penny-pinching and corner-cutting with the story.

But if you are faced with budget constraints, story does go out of the window. A DX movie is very unlikely to tell the whole story and many priceless characters and experiences would disappear. Take a look at Warren Spector's other ideas, Wing Commander for example, that movie is fairly terrible and doesn't do the game any justice, or give the movie audience a sense of the innovations of the game either.

I'd say... make more games, comics, books and online experiences. I'm not desperate to see TV or movies of DX, it's a challenge beyond filmmakers capability I feel, at the moment at least.

And I'm asking myself, is it going to sell more games?
I don't agree on that front. I feel like a TV series would allow for more character devellopment and detail, not less. As for budget, The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones and Terra Nova all spring to mind lately as TV series whose special effects embarass some full-fledged Hollywood movies. Beyond that, it's easier to start small (See: Cheap) and gauge reaction, so you can go back to the producer saying "People clearly like this, I think you should heavily invest". Much more so than with a movie pitch saying "I think people will like this, I'd like for you to heavily invest".

You can always "fake" different locales. The Walking Dead has been in multiple states without actually leaving one city. Fringe has been everywhere in North America without actually leaving Massachussets. The River has spent its whole season being in the Amazon, while actually being in a small fishing community in Hawaii.

I agree that a TV series is a huge gamble for fans, as it risks either sullying the story, or simply copying it, both of which are thoroughly boring. However, tying that in with your last point, there's a much, much larger audience on television than there is with comics, or even books. If you walked down the street and asked the average person if they'd ever heard of or read the Walking Dead comic series, you'd likely get a puzzled expression and a quick "no". If you asked them if they'd ever heard of or seen the Walking Dead show, you'd almost certainly get a "Isn't that the zombie show?" if not a "Yes I watch that". Even books, Game of Thrones has a much, much larger audience than A Song of Fire and Ice does, by a substantial margin.

HERESY
30th Apr 2012, 23:04
Everyone in this thread should read this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/29/syfy-beings-production-on-tv-side-of-transmedia-defiance/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/25/syfys-highly-anticipated-defiance-commences-production-in-toronto/130848/

We had something very similar in our BP and IP when we first started out a couple of years ago. The difference between them and us is the plot and setting was totally different, we are doing 3d animation instead of live action which would give us the ability to swap assets, keep costs down and keep the show running even after the tv was turned off, and other things.

Also, tv companies are not the only way to go now. Companies are always looking for new and original content. Look at Netflix and the new series they're developing. Look at PSN and XBOX Live for all the deals they're making and new content they have.

With the right TEAM behind the project, Eidos or whoever owns the DX I.P. can make a killing and make the franchise a household name.