PDA

View Full Version : Why I didn't bought Human Revolution

PedroLourenco
29th Mar 2012, 22:46
Hi there!

I'm a big fan of Deus Ex, played the first two to death and I recently started to think that maybe I should buy Human Revolution. I started to make some research just to make sure that the game is good, and I read many things good, aparently it is a excelent game. Anyway, I stumble across an article on Kotaku about Human Revolution that made me not buy this game.

The article (http://kotaku.com/5836692/that-weirdly-racist-npc-in-deus-ex-human-revolution)talks about Letita, a racist NPC. I saw some youtube videos and I must say that I was really stuned on how bad of a character she is. I mean, to stereotype is one thing, but this, this is way too much. Note that I am not black, but that doen't really matter. Video games are on a tipping point. We are starting to get to mainstream audience. And we are starting to be regarded as a art. And this, this is not artish, nor deserving to represent us as gamers...

So, I won't support you in this game, and I am terribly sorry for that. Just because I really want to play it, maybe I'll buy the game used. Anyway, hope someone reads this thing. This is the video that made me disapointed:

He09JaBVZdE

Oh, and sorry for the awful english.

Romeo
29th Mar 2012, 23:20
Don't worry about the awful english. And yes, Letitia was pretty bad, but I think people blew things up a whole bunch (Kinda like RE4). If you do play the game, you'll realize she's a bit of a one-off character. And frankly, if you're concentrating on skin tone, you'll find more than one "darker" character who are very intelligent.

m G h m u o s
29th Mar 2012, 23:49
I only found about that whole deal after playing the game and was kinda dumbfounded. I didn't see any problem at all.

It's just people thinking they should be politically correct or respond to potential racism, when its not. The kinda people who hesitate to describe a black guy as 'a black guy'.

Stereotypes aside, out of the billions of people on this planet I'm sure there is some people who actually talk/sound like that. I've seen comments on youtubes saying they're from Detroit and they don't see anything wrong with it.

Sooo.. yeah I really don't see the problem?

What are people arguing for exactly? Black women are being represented to be trash-eating homeless people? So does make every white guy with a beard and spikey hair a super augmented soldier? Umm.. nope.

ArmyRanger871
29th Mar 2012, 23:57
Wow, that is stupid you don't buy a game just because of ONE character in the game. ONE character that takes up only 2-4 minutes of gameplay or non at all. The fact you didn't buy the game just because of one character just makes you look like a giant idiot.

Charles_Phipps
30th Mar 2012, 00:38
One of the interesting things with Letitia I think the controversy missed and the developers can confirm or deny this if they want is that I'm fairly sure she's putting on an act. She's a so-called homeless person who, nevertheless, commands 500-2000 credit fees for her information. Likewise, she knows just about everything about the city. For whatever reason, she's just messing with our hero.

There are also numerous other black characters in the game.

Arach666
30th Mar 2012, 02:58
Well,she was kinda terrible but honestly,not playing the game because of that doesn´t make much sense to me.

Romeo
30th Mar 2012, 03:57
One of the interesting things with Letitia I think the controversy missed and the developers can confirm or deny this if they want is that I'm fairly sure she's putting on an act. She's a so-called homeless person who, nevertheless, commands 500-2000 credit fees for her information. Likewise, she knows just about everything about the city. For whatever reason, she's just messing with our hero.

There are also numerous other black characters in the game.
I was about to call you the smartest person on these forums, but then I remembered: You can also beer the hell out of her for some information too.

Still, you may be on to something...

Stellazira
30th Mar 2012, 04:42
I did not even know this character existed, and I've played through the game three times and saw something that I didn't see the last time I played through it. :o

Senka
30th Mar 2012, 05:50
Your loss.

singularity
30th Mar 2012, 06:27
Ok. Let me see if I get this straight:

Federova is obviously of African descent and you're forced to kill her... does this mean the game is racist? No. It means one of the bad guys is black.

In the attack on Sarif industries, several of the workers killed are of Asian descent. Does this mean the game is racist? No. It means Sarif is an equal opportunity employer.

The SWAT commander you meet near the begining of the game who you are kind of an ass to happens to be black. Does this make the game racist? No... Adam's an ass to everything that breathes oxygen (and a few things that don't).

In the book, it is hinted that Namir is of Mid-East origin. Does this make the game racist? No -- it means that sometimes Middle Easterners can be strong, intelligent and menacing bad guys too.

One of the biggest bad "guys" in the game is Chinese, and several Chinese gangs are depicted in the game. Is this racist? No. It means the Chinese can have a gang problem the same as anyone else, and one Chinese buisness woman isn't your friend.

In the hostage scenario at the begining of the game, the woman Zeke takes hostage is Black (and Zeke himself is from central/ south America). Does this make the game racist? No, it means that blacks can be the victims of terrorist actions just like anyone.

But there is one NPC in the game, who actually knows more about the city than Adam does, provides insight into the feelings of other citizens of Detroit, and is shown doing NOTHING illegal, violent, or morally objectionable (except maybe ripping Adam off a bit, but remember -- he's an ass), and because she's homeless, talks in a way you're not used to, and is black -- it's racist.
Congratuations... you win.

On second thought, you might not want to play DXHR any more period... I just gave away all the bad guys for you. Have fun playing games that only have middle-aged, white men. Because that's not racist at all...

If you've ever been to southern USA, especially parts of Louisiana and Mississippi, you (and the people who write those dumb articles) would know that some people actually talk like that. And if you've ever been to Detroit, some of the homeless people are actually black! It's not racist for a Chinese man to be in a gang, or for a Latino to talk with an accent... but you have a black woman who is homeless and talks like she is from south Louisiana and that's morally objectionable? Someone please help me with this... my logic bone is broken.

ZakKa89
30th Mar 2012, 08:21
Sigh it's not racist. Your loss.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Mar 2012, 08:34
What everyone else said...

I also fixed that link for you, OP.
If you use the YT tag, you need to delete the content before the = sign (and including it) for the video to show/work.

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
30th Mar 2012, 11:53
Like it or not racism is a part of life, deal with it.

InGroove2
30th Mar 2012, 14:34
Hi there!

I'm a big fan of Deus Ex, played the first two to death and I recently started to think that maybe I should buy Human Revolution. I started to make some research just to make sure that the game is good, and I read many things good, aparently it is a excelent game. Anyway, I stumble across an article on Kotaku about Human Revolution that made me not buy this game.

The article (http://kotaku.com/5836692/that-weirdly-racist-npc-in-deus-ex-human-revolution)talks about Letita, a racist NPC. I saw some youtube videos and I must say that I was really stuned on how bad of a character she is. I mean, to stereotype is one thing, but this, this is way too much. Note that I am not black, but that doen't really matter. Video games are on a tipping point. We are starting to get to mainstream audience. And we are starting to be regarded as a art. And this, this is not artish, nor deserving to represent us as gamers...

So, I won't support you in this game, and I am terribly sorry for that. Just because I really want to play it, maybe I'll buy the game used. Anyway, hope someone reads this thing. This is the video that made me disapointed:

He09JaBVZdE

Oh, and sorry for the awful english.

I think it's incredibly relevant to point out that Adam (as a proxy for you the player) cearly is fond of her or at least respects her knowledge of the city. If i remember correctly there are options to be a jerk to her. But in any case, her way of speaking may come off as slightly over the top if you're REALLY ensitive, but on a whole she's presented in a positive way. She has an expertise that you can use if you're nice to her. she commands respect or you don't get what she has. Adam talks to her like a friend.

Jordasm
30th Mar 2012, 16:49
I've played through HR 4 times, don't think I've spoken to her once :lol:

Charles_Phipps
30th Mar 2012, 17:08
I think the character could have been handled better and get what they were going for (giving Adam a bizarre informant) but I don't think the game, as a whole, is racist.

Shralla
30th Mar 2012, 17:26
Shut up.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Mar 2012, 18:39
Hmm, think this thread has run its course. It can go down in history as one of those short 'n' sweet ones. ;)
Closed.