PDA

View Full Version : Absolution News from GDC - with Screens & Links

shobhit777777
5th Mar 2012, 14:25
IO will have a small presence at GDC this year with two developers in attendance. Both Bobby Anguelov and Kasper Fauerby will each hold talks.

Bobby will talk about Animated Navigation:
As game worlds get more detailed, simply navigating along a shortest path isn't good enough. Additionally, as character behaviors get more complex, seeing agents pivot or "footskate" in unrealistic ways breaks immersion. In order to achieve realistic movement, limitations on locomotion animations the character can perform must be taken into account. In fact, the animations themselves can be used as a valuable tool for finding the most realistic path in the first place. Using examples from the games Hitman: Absolution, Reckoning, and Thief, this lecture will show methods for improving character movement by utilizing character animation to help determine navigation.

Kasper will talk about Crowd Technology:
G2-CROWD TECHNOLOGY is a feature of IO Interactive’s new proprietary engine: Glacier 2. Built from the ground up by the team at IO, Glacier 2 was tailored to meet the demands of the development team and enable them to realize their vision for Hitman: Absolution. A key requirement for this vision is to have very dense crowds which allow players to both interact with and influence the behavior of each individual character.

IO Interactives lead physics programmer Kasper Fauerby will introduce the technology behind this amazing achievement at this years Game Developers Conference in San Francsico. The presentation describes the techniques and optimizations used to achieve the 1200 character crowds present in Hitman: Absolution while still running at 30fps on current-gen consoles. He will provide an overview of the crowd implementation and discuss both the algorithms used as well as how gameplay considerations affected the design decisions.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427540_10150659498848987_82040998986_9234364_2131836026_n.jpg

Well..****
It looks amazing.

@Travis IO
I hope you can post the GDC talk here

@all the naysayers

I told ya so :)
Social Stealth to the max

Doctalen
5th Mar 2012, 15:00
Wow. I can't wait for this. Recently bought Hitman 2 and contracts again.

Travis_IO
5th Mar 2012, 15:51
Plan is to have the full talk recorded and then shared online through GDC channels.

As you know, things don't always go as planned but I've renamed the thread slightly and added some info to make it more of an official GDC thread and I'll put any updates in here.

shobhit777777
5th Mar 2012, 16:41
@Travis

Thanks for the thread update.....looking forward for the talk! :D

And if you can get the word to the devs...tell them good job!

Hitman_Absolution
5th Mar 2012, 17:07
Is the people in the image all different? Like there looks?

Doctalen
5th Mar 2012, 17:46
Is the people in the image all different? Like there looks? There are probably some repeating skins but they probably made a lot of different skins. Like I'm sure they made a lot of skins but don't expect to not see some repeating ones

GebelTheRebel
5th Mar 2012, 19:02
Is the people in the image all different? Like there looks?

The game will support 1200 at once on screen so I assume we'll see many different faces. Otherwise it would look like we're in iRobot. :D

Hitman_Absolution
5th Mar 2012, 19:39
But anyways..IO u guyz are my best gaming developer..but u guys keep amazing me with glacier 2..it's damn good

Sam_kain
5th Mar 2012, 21:40
So Travis I believe this is the town called "Hope" ?!, are we going to see any gameplay involving the crowd, or should we wait till E3 ?!

Anyway the image is just amazing, great work of the devs

Suxita
6th Mar 2012, 05:10
This is staff for 6 march.Only this?
So well done guys for great job.This is nice but,we expect much more information.

BigBoss
6th Mar 2012, 05:30
.......WOW

NOW GIVE US A RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travis_IO
6th Mar 2012, 09:37
So Travis I believe this is the town called "Hope" ?!, are we going to see any gameplay involving the crowd, or should we wait till E3 ?!

Anyway the image is just amazing, great work of the devs

This isn't Hope. As for gameplay, take a look at the first paragraph of the OP:

Built from the ground up by the team at IO, Glacier 2 was tailored to meet the demands of the development team and enable them to realize their vision for Hitman: Absolution. A key requirement for this vision is to have very dense crowds which allow players to both interact with and influence the behavior of each individual character.

This is staff for 6 march.Only this?
So well done guys for great job.This is nice but,we expect much more information.

We're also releasing the box art later today and hope to have the full GDC talk made available ASAP for anyone interested. Unless we brought the release date forward to tomorrow, I'm pretty sure you'll always want more and more info.

shobhit777777
6th Mar 2012, 13:10
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424202_10150661505038987_82040998986_9240986_1204224677_n.jpg

Thats the box art

Travis_IO
6th Mar 2012, 13:13
@Shobhit - You are quick on the draw...

First with the post and now the box art!

I've updated the Box Art Thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=124931) with the box art to keep that discussion in one place:

shobhit777777
6th Mar 2012, 13:18
@Travis

You got that right pardner *blows away smoke from his colt six shooter and re-holsters it
JK...right place, right time ;)

I just saw the official thread, after posting it...was so excited about the pic that I just stuck it up there!

Looking good BTW

Suxita
6th Mar 2012, 13:30
Travis I love you man.You doing great job.Plus that news about art box.I m so happy.And when we can see talk about Crowd Technology in Hitman: Absolution

sublime90
6th Mar 2012, 16:28
wow thats impressive. blood money had the mardi gra crowd, kane and lynch had the nightclub now absolution with this festival. i cant wait till IO really improves the crowd tech and has a stadium of around 40k people to walk through lol.

PC GAMER
6th Mar 2012, 18:16
We're also releasing the box art later today and hope to have the full GDC talk made available ASAP for anyone interested. Unless we brought the release date forward to tomorrow, I'm pretty sure you'll always want more and more info.

Well thanks a lot this amazing box art but i'am sorry i think this can not be very important for us in the meantime compared to what we are looking for such as the exact release date that was awaited from along time ago or giving us some new trailers or new gameplay videos.

So excuse me all i think is announcing Hitman Absolution release date is 2012 it means nothing for us so if you guys is releasing it at the end of the year never mind say it but give us exact release date , not just that but also i see that everything regarding the new Hitman is going very very slow both information or releasing any videos and i swear that all made me forget their is any Hitman game.

I'am so sorry for saying all that but i had to say it as i love this game so much and i really hope to hear more about in upcoming months, I have 3 question about the game.(Please try to answer them and i will be very appreciated)

First: The game coming on Steam store or no??
Second: The game is going to use steamworks or no??
Third: How much the PC version gonna cost??

Please accept my greetings with deep love!
I'am very proud of all your hard work that made the game look something incredible and for sure it will be the best of all times.

The0Hitman47
6th Mar 2012, 20:20
This looks fantastic!! This is what i love about hitman games as they are always different to other games. This has got to be some of the best graphics ive ever seen, and i cant wait to walk through this crowd!!!

BUT PLEASE GIVE US A RELEASE DATE OR AT LEAST A MONTH!! :)

Travis_IO
8th Mar 2012, 09:16
G4 have posted an article about the talk they saw entitled Animation Driven Locomotion for Smoother Navigation with IO's Bobby Anguelov. You can find the article here (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721516/hitman-absolution-amalur-reckoning-and-more-heroes-henchmen-and-animation-at-gdc-2012/)

X360a have also given a short run-down of the Crowd Technology speech. Find that article here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11070-GDC-2012--IO-Interactive-Focusing-on-Quality-Rather-Than-Quantity-When-it-Comes-to-Crowds-in-Hitman--Absolution.html)

lukasz89
8th Mar 2012, 15:43
Release date was supposed to be.

sgg847
8th Mar 2012, 15:57
The physics of character in precision mode was better in 2003 year than today.

PC GAMER
8th Mar 2012, 17:08
Hi everyone,

This is an impressive video showing Hitman Absolution Tech Demo that has been taken from inside GDC 2012

http://videos.videogameszone.de/video/7203/GDC-Hitman-Absolution-TechDemo

Enjoy :)

It's very sad that there is no sign of the exact release date yet!
Give up hope!

sgg847
8th Mar 2012, 17:21
Suppressor sticking out of hud looks not good.
Background music similar to Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days.

Hi everyone,
It's very sad that there is no sign of the exact release date yet!
Give up hope!
Don't give up. Wait 17 March.

PC GAMER
8th Mar 2012, 20:03

17 March!
Why this day exactly?!

Hitman_Absolution
8th Mar 2012, 20:31
Hey Travis..that video on the crowd tech is it still in pre-alpha?..i mean its great and all but it does need some work because I dont like how they all reacted the same way when hitman took down the one guy and when bumping into people its not physical..also the npc did nothing when hitman was shooting civilians..there was also two guys standing next to each other looking the same and doing the same actions at the exact same time..it does have some flaws but despite this for me its the best crowd tech ive seen in a game so far..Keep up the great work:)

sgg847
8th Mar 2012, 22:07
I have a big desire to organize a little holocaust in this mission, especially with this cheat.
Instinct really cool thing here.

branco18
10th Mar 2012, 08:12
I saw some GDC footage...It wasn´t good at all...

Barez
10th Mar 2012, 08:41
I saw some GDC footage...It wasn´t good at all...

You mean that German video on YT crowd system ? Idd! that was not good at all!:mad2:

sgg847
10th Mar 2012, 09:16
You mean that German video on YT crowd system ? Idd! that was not good at all!:mad2:

What did you expect? :D

Barez
10th Mar 2012, 15:08
Suppressor sticking out of hud looks not good.
Background music similar to Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days.

Also I want to know why 17 March will be a special day ? :)

Doctalen
10th Mar 2012, 17:58
I think the release date or something is out then. New demo maybe

sgg847
12th Mar 2012, 08:59
I think the release date or something is out then. New demo maybe
If to be honestly I don't know what will happen on 17 March. But something has to, why have to instead of must? Because they have right to take back they decision and I will understand it but I will never believe in 3 or more coincidences. However, there is only one question that need to be answered - who was/were under the nickname of Tim B. Does Tim mean the abridgement of the word "Team"?

Travis_IO
16th Mar 2012, 13:43
Anyone that was actually at GDC might have noticed this....

https://p.twimg.com/AnzTLMMCIAAKBjS.jpg:large

sgg847
16th Mar 2012, 20:16
Digital River? :hmm: Hmmm...

I hope this river won't be able to separate this symbol from faithful fans on 17 March.
http://ps3.noizless.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hitman-Absolution-500x281.jpg
:lol:

nonprofitkilla
16th Mar 2012, 20:49
I hope a release date is revealed tommorow

sgg847
17th Mar 2012, 15:59
My assumption found the proof. Now I know who was behind nickname Tim. B aka Martin Brennan.
:lol:

nonprofitkilla
17th Mar 2012, 21:15
So what is so special about today?

Doctalen
18th Mar 2012, 00:46
So what is so special about today? It's saints Patrick's day

nonprofitkilla
18th Mar 2012, 02:21
Well no duh. But why were we told that something was gonna happen today in regards to this game?

sgg847
19th Mar 2012, 10:35
Well no duh. But why were we told that something was gonna happen today in regards to this game?

The meaning of pagan snake, as symbol of Hitman Absolution, was deciphered.

Barez
19th Mar 2012, 11:31
The meaning of pagan snake, as symbol of Hitman Absolution, was deciphered.

Lol, I wan't a release date, not the meaning of that snake.. :rolleyes:

nonprofitkilla
19th Mar 2012, 17:39
^ same here

sgg847
19th Mar 2012, 18:13
^ same here

I am sure you can imagine that everything the same here. :poke:

Katie_Fleming
20th Mar 2012, 22:02
Screen looks good, would love to see a high-res version though!