PDA

View Full Version : DX: Human Revolution - small point..

biofuel
4th Mar 2012, 11:05
Why on earth did the early, and even late marketing/information releases for DX:HR constantly herald this amazing two-tiered city, so grandiose and fully simulated that it was going to change the face of gaming and blow our little brains out?

The fact that only the bottom half of the city made the final cut just speaks volumes about this game, in the end.

And just to compound the fact, yes, of course the top half of the city looked amazing, but its the unfortunate truth that that in itself just about sums up the experience of playing this game, that took a fair few years to come to fruition.

This is really the final taste I'm left with in regard to Human Revolution. Hints of inspiration, but no more than that, I'm afraid. Depending on your point of view of course.

sonicsidewinder
4th Mar 2012, 11:37
Hints of inspiration, but no more than that, I'm afraid.

I hear that.

Ilves
4th Mar 2012, 14:38
That's the creative process, I guess; you start off with limitless imagination and ambitious set ups, and then reality comes round and bites you in the ass. :D

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lztzhb7RwX1qer56zo1_500.jpg
(I wonder if this is an old pic, or that the team have started working on something new?)

I dunno, the two tiered-ness (?) felt present enough as a thematic concept in the game through NPC dialog and backstory. Yeah, too bad the upper tier was reduced to just the TY building and one seriously low-res matte panorama, rather than a fully explorable city area. On the other hand, the way the story was paced at that point, another free roaming section wasn't really called for.

draiocht
5th Mar 2012, 00:57
The only part I'm really bummed out about was the potential opportunity to throw somebody off the top level of Hengsha (and seeing where he landed!); instead, only being allowed to throw people off the comparatively small lower Hengsha buildings.

Well, maybe in DX:HR2....

Pinky_Powers
5th Mar 2012, 01:14
Why on earth did the early, and even late marketing/information releases for DX:HR constantly herald this amazing two-tiered city, so grandiose and fully simulated that it was going to change the face of gaming and blow our little brains out?

Can you link to even one article that describes Hengsha as any of the things you mentioned? ...other than it being tow-tiered, of course.

They talked about Hengsha as being a two-tiered city, but I must have missed all the articles that painted the picture you took away. Which is confusing as I read everything I could get my hands on during the two years leading up to the game.

biofuel
5th Mar 2012, 11:59
Can you link to even one article that describes Hengsha as any of the things you mentioned? ...other than it being tow-tiered, of course.

They talked about Hengsha as being a two-tiered city, but I must have missed all the articles that painted the picture you took away. Which is confusing as I read everything I could get my hands on during the two years leading up to the game.

I'm not gonna trawl through old marketing material, but originally they called the city 'Shanghai' and sold it for years as a two-tiered, fully simulated immersive experience.

OMGITSJASON
11th Mar 2012, 22:51
I don't remember reading anything like that. But then again it could have slipped by me since i play and read so much about video games.