PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Human Revolution chapters the hours of a January gone wrong.

thisheat1
28th Feb 2012, 04:58
Hey all! Deus Ex Human Revolution was an amazing experience! It was also an incredibly melancholy tale that effected me greatly! It opened emotional ground,and made me think about things long past. Here is my tale, I thought I would share it with you all here. Thank you Eidos Montreal for crafting such a pulsing living thing. When I posted it originally on website 8bitfix.com, I simply wanted it to reach your ears. Here it is.

Deus Ex Human Revolution, chapters the hours of a January gone wrong.

by camberwellnow

Published on 02-06-2012 07:19 PM

The weeks before Christmas 2011 were made of moments of doubt. I was feeling lost, questioning what exactly I was doing with my life. I was sick, and lethargic. I rarely, ever get depressed. Yet here I was, sulking. I felt like I needed to prove myself!

Days later my friend's father dies, no warning. He was still young! I cannot help them, or truly ease their suffering.

Fast forward to New Years Eve 2011, and I am making a complete idiot out of myself! Hours prior to this, one of very best friends was just married. She means the world to me, I love her like family. I could choose this moment to be graceful. I could move slowly,and courteously. I could have brought nice shoes, a tie even. No, it is all out the door as I am currently dancing with a chair.

The other guests are making way for my impromptu lap around the dance floor! I am so happy! I write in their ledger wishing them the very best. It is terrible that I cannot control their future, if I could I would want these two to live forever!

I am at home reflecting, it is 3am now. I am well into the intro of "Deus Ex Human Revolution". I get a call from my sister. One of our old roommates has been murdered! This tiny, sweet girl, loving and gentle was dead. How is this possible? My sister is freaking out, crying and inconsolable. I cannot help her. I can only comfort! I cannot bring our friend back, and have no way to alter this horrible outcome. It is a terrible feeling. Having no control is real paralysis. Life is more than just cruel, it is evil.
http://nightmaremode.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-adam-jensen.jpg

This all leads me to Deus Ex Human Revolution. A game that carries all the themes mentioned above. A desire to harness control and protection of every facet in life. Being broken by your circumstances. Mounting library's of regret! Catastrophic losses. The need to prove oneself. The only way forward is through your own choices. That choice may be something you quickly add to the pile of mistakes. We are all made of limits! None of us more than human. Deus Ex dives at you, isolating you. You will feel more alone here than you ever have in any game.

I was not expecting this. I pictured shoot outs, stealth take downs, drivel for dialouge. I imagined asinine dude-ed up bad guys with buildings for legs, and vertebrae made of gun parts! Instead I was given one of the most profound and melancholy games I have played since the original Metal Gear Solid.

The Deus Ex development team had to have worked exceptionally hard to communicate a world like this visually. Reaching a blackened drained world like this requires passage through the River Styx. Navigating through the bowels of hell! Breaching the molten tundra forcing themselves through as the crumbling overtakes them. The results are astounding! The muted color palette feels heavy and suffocating on the skin. There is dissonance in the streets. People here want to leech you dry of goodness. Anything can be bought! The only rules are flexible and grey. The dreaded screams from alleys. No one will comfort you, and everyone lies. Imagine living in this world for the next 40 hours. Settle in,and start growing a thicker skin. People will hate you by the end of your time here. This is not a place for those who wish to be loved.
http://obsoletegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-PC-Gameplay-Screenshot-8.jpg

Our protagonist Adam Jensen is the aforementioned broken man. He is played with such a marvelous wound that I lost myself in him after the the first hour. I was no longer Geno! I was Adam (Geno) Jensen! Games like this also explain why I would never own a gun! I would never leave my house! I would just skulk around my hall playing pretend! Creeping around corners giving orders to my collected G.I. Joe's! I would buy ammo just to load it in the chamber! Forget the shooting! For these same reasons I don't smoke. I would just sit on my bed practicing the coolest exhale. Jensen's character design may be off putting to some. I was not loving that long trench coat! An hour with him, I wanted to be tossed into his arms! This is a protector of the highest order. A man with scruples. Jensen is the one who will save you from Cthulhu, not Captain America, not the X-Men. If you have demons on your trail, Jensen is gonna snuff them out. Some one you want on your side. Demons are plentiful in these neon corners. Personally, I identified with Jensen. I want to protect the people I love, so did he! He also carries this narrative so well. He struggles with the truth. He becomes disillusioned. He never fully comes to terms with all sorts of terrible betrayal. He wants validation, he wants to be loved. Through this he remains steadfast. I should have advised him to get out of the "gun for hire business"! He could pen a mean set of love songs, off in some dreary cabin instead!
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/deus-ex-human-revolution.jpg

The Music here is like a permanent marker. I have not enjoyed a soundtrack like this since "The Dark Knight", or "Metal Gear Solid 4". It becomes part of you. Underneath these hypnotic layers of cold machine music lies a conflict. It aches when faced with abandonment. It has a gentle and loving spot for it's mother. It laments!

It drives and crushes when it has to win! Despite the high iron content it remains hopeful. It is necessary to survive in this game. It creates the only blip of light in the long tunnel. I started using this soundtrack during my 18 mile runs! In that setting, I could still picture this game world. It made me run faster! It helped me finish! It gave me new strength. A powerful score can break out of the world for which it was intended. Michael McCann the composer is to be highly praised, and awed at in equal parts! The music is its very own character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBU-5kXIqHo

I will not talk to much about mechanics. In my reviews I see no reason to. You have heard the same things a billion times. Everything here works! The playground here has cool slides, and expensive restrooms! If you want a waffle cone, you can have one! The entire world is a drug-induced happy house! Your job is to choose the way you like to play. Are you going to clear a room with a grenade launcher? Do you simply want to break necks silently? Will you go through the game without tripping a single alarm? It is all here there is a wealth of choice!
http://images.fpsguru.com/features/137/large_image-2.jpeg

Augmentations put this game in a class by itself! You have not lived until you have absconded with a cache of enemy provisions through robot domination. Robot domination is the most twisted and enjoyable thing ever made!

I will go on record and say that "Deus Ex Human Revolution" is the very best Cyberpunk video game ever made. It is a bold statement to be sure. I say that with no hesitation! It all comes down to that narrative and here it is adult, feasible, and uncensored.

A game like this will stay with you. This story haunted me, like a mirror of things going on in my life. I was a little bit broken. Realizing that despite my best efforts I would not be able to protect anyone indefinitely. I will never be fully ready for the cruelty of life. I have all these limits. I can get lost in looking back. I am fragile.

The ending was so permeated in sadness, I actually started longing to examine my own past. Where had my own choices led me? Should I have taken more risks? Had I lived up to the picture and ideal of myself? Was I the nice guy I always wanted to be?
Had I hurt anyone? It gave me a tremendous feeling of mourning for things I could no longer correct.

As I said, I rarely come undone emotionally. Now, I was on a somber mission to embrace the past one last time before moving on forever. I did just that. I spent weeks pouring over the old pictures, the old regrets. I made a huge timeline, opened old wounds, and answered terrible questions.

All this introspection from a game that casts you as an augmented security officer? Sounds so silly right! The idea sounds left field, but yes! What did I learn? Second guess yourself daily. Your first instinct is usually incorrect.

I never thought a video game would again bring out such reflection. It comes with my highest approval rating. Deus Ex Human Revolution is the Frank Lloyd Wright of video games. So what if it stands tall, strange, and angular! It delivers with class. Holding court with a full iron fist and utter command of its craft. 10/10

Zerim
29th Feb 2012, 17:48
That was a great read. DXHR made me learn a lot of things too. And your story just made me appreciate this game even more. Thanks for sharing this.

thisheat1
4th Mar 2012, 21:55
Thanks for reading, it was such an intense thing playing through this game at that moment. I am so happy you enjoyed the article. It is great to know someone else out there feels the same way I do about this awesome game. Again thank you, your comments are much appreciated and opinion highly valued :)

biofuel
5th Mar 2012, 16:48
Hey all! Deus Ex Human Revolution was an amazing experience! It was also an incredibly melancholy tale that effected me greatly! It opened emotional ground,and made me think about things long past. Here is my tale, I thought I would share it with you all here. Thank you Eidos Montreal for crafting such a pulsing living thing. When I posted it originally on website 8bitfix.com, I simply wanted it to reach your ears. Here it is.

Deus Ex Human Revolution, chapters the hours of a January gone wrong.

by camberwellnow

Published on 02-06-2012 07:19 PM

The weeks before Christmas 2011 were made of moments of doubt. I was feeling lost, questioning what exactly I was doing with my life. I was sick, and lethargic. I rarely, ever get depressed. Yet here I was, sulking. I felt like I needed to prove myself!

Days later my friend's father dies, no warning. He was still young! I cannot help them, or truly ease their suffering.

Fast forward to New Years Eve 2011, and I am making a complete idiot out of myself! Hours prior to this, one of very best friends was just married. She means the world to me, I love her like family. I could choose this moment to be graceful. I could move slowly,and courteously. I could have brought nice shoes, a tie even. No, it is all out the door as I am currently dancing with a chair.

The other guests are making way for my impromptu lap around the dance floor! I am so happy! I write in their ledger wishing them the very best. It is terrible that I cannot control their future, if I could I would want these two to live forever!

I am at home reflecting, it is 3am now. I am well into the intro of "Deus Ex Human Revolution". I get a call from my sister. One of our old roommates has been murdered! This tiny, sweet girl, loving and gentle was dead. How is this possible? My sister is freaking out, crying and inconsolable. I cannot help her. I can only comfort! I cannot bring our friend back, and have no way to alter this horrible outcome. It is a terrible feeling. Having no control is real paralysis. Life is more than just cruel, it is evil.
http://nightmaremode.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-adam-jensen.jpg

This all leads me to Deus Ex Human Revolution. A game that carries all the themes mentioned above. A desire to harness control and protection of every facet in life. Being broken by your circumstances. Mounting library's of regret! Catastrophic losses. The need to prove oneself. The only way forward is through your own choices. That choice may be something you quickly add to the pile of mistakes. We are all made of limits! None of us more than human. Deus Ex dives at you, isolating you. You will feel more alone here than you ever have in any game.

I was not expecting this. I pictured shoot outs, stealth take downs, drivel for dialouge. I imagined asinine dude-ed up bad guys with buildings for legs, and vertebrae made of gun parts! Instead I was given one of the most profound and melancholy games I have played since the original Metal Gear Solid.

The Deus Ex development team had to have worked exceptionally hard to communicate a world like this visually. Reaching a blackened drained world like this requires passage through the River Styx. Navigating through the bowels of hell! Breaching the molten tundra forcing themselves through as the crumbling overtakes them. The results are astounding! The muted color palette feels heavy and suffocating on the skin. There is dissonance in the streets. People here want to leech you dry of goodness. Anything can be bought! The only rules are flexible and grey. The dreaded screams from alleys. No one will comfort you, and everyone lies. Imagine living in this world for the next 40 hours. Settle in,and start growing a thicker skin. People will hate you by the end of your time here. This is not a place for those who wish to be loved.
http://obsoletegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-PC-Gameplay-Screenshot-8.jpg

Our protagonist Adam Jensen is the aforementioned broken man. He is played with such a marvelous wound that I lost myself in him after the the first hour. I was no longer Geno! I was Adam (Geno) Jensen! Games like this also explain why I would never own a gun! I would never leave my house! I would just skulk around my hall playing pretend! Creeping around corners giving orders to my collected G.I. Joe's! I would buy ammo just to load it in the chamber! Forget the shooting! For these same reasons I don't smoke. I would just sit on my bed practicing the coolest exhale. Jensen's character design may be off putting to some. I was not loving that long trench coat! An hour with him, I wanted to be tossed into his arms! This is a protector of the highest order. A man with scruples. Jensen is the one who will save you from Cthulhu, not Captain America, not the X-Men. If you have demons on your trail, Jensen is gonna snuff them out. Some one you want on your side. Demons are plentiful in these neon corners. Personally, I identified with Jensen. I want to protect the people I love, so did he! He also carries this narrative so well. He struggles with the truth. He becomes disillusioned. He never fully comes to terms with all sorts of terrible betrayal. He wants validation, he wants to be loved. Through this he remains steadfast. I should have advised him to get out of the "gun for hire business"! He could pen a mean set of love songs, off in some dreary cabin instead!
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/deus-ex-human-revolution.jpg

The Music here is like a permanent marker. I have not enjoyed a soundtrack like this since "The Dark Knight", or "Metal Gear Solid 4". It becomes part of you. Underneath these hypnotic layers of cold machine music lies a conflict. It aches when faced with abandonment. It has a gentle and loving spot for it's mother. It laments!

It drives and crushes when it has to win! Despite the high iron content it remains hopeful. It is necessary to survive in this game. It creates the only blip of light in the long tunnel. I started using this soundtrack during my 18 mile runs! In that setting, I could still picture this game world. It made me run faster! It helped me finish! It gave me new strength. A powerful score can break out of the world for which it was intended. Michael McCann the composer is to be highly praised, and awed at in equal parts! The music is its very own character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBU-5kXIqHo

I will not talk to much about mechanics. In my reviews I see no reason to. You have heard the same things a billion times. Everything here works! The playground here has cool slides, and expensive restrooms! If you want a waffle cone, you can have one! The entire world is a drug-induced happy house! Your job is to choose the way you like to play. Are you going to clear a room with a grenade launcher? Do you simply want to break necks silently? Will you go through the game without tripping a single alarm? It is all here there is a wealth of choice!
http://images.fpsguru.com/features/137/large_image-2.jpeg

Augmentations put this game in a class by itself! You have not lived until you have absconded with a cache of enemy provisions through robot domination. Robot domination is the most twisted and enjoyable thing ever made!

I will go on record and say that "Deus Ex Human Revolution" is the very best Cyberpunk video game ever made. It is a bold statement to be sure. I say that with no hesitation! It all comes down to that narrative and here it is adult, feasible, and uncensored.

A game like this will stay with you. This story haunted me, like a mirror of things going on in my life. I was a little bit broken. Realizing that despite my best efforts I would not be able to protect anyone indefinitely. I will never be fully ready for the cruelty of life. I have all these limits. I can get lost in looking back. I am fragile.

The ending was so permeated in sadness, I actually started longing to examine my own past. Where had my own choices led me? Should I have taken more risks? Had I lived up to the picture and ideal of myself? Was I the nice guy I always wanted to be?
Had I hurt anyone? It gave me a tremendous feeling of mourning for things I could no longer correct.

As I said, I rarely come undone emotionally. Now, I was on a somber mission to embrace the past one last time before moving on forever. I did just that. I spent weeks pouring over the old pictures, the old regrets. I made a huge timeline, opened old wounds, and answered terrible questions.

All this introspection from a game that casts you as an augmented security officer? Sounds so silly right! The idea sounds left field, but yes! What did I learn? Second guess yourself daily. Your first instinct is usually incorrect.

I never thought a video game would again bring out such reflection. It comes with my highest approval rating. Deus Ex Human Revolution is the Frank Lloyd Wright of video games. So what if it stands tall, strange, and angular! It delivers with class. Holding court with a full iron fist and utter command of its craft. 10/10

You are one crazy cat. Also, how old are you? If I'm being honest, the original game had probably 100 times more of an effect on me, positively, than did Human Revolution.

OMGITSJASON
11th Mar 2012, 22:46
Wild review I enjoyed it. The game really resonated with you huh? <----sarcasm

thisheat1
14th Mar 2012, 04:56
Yes, I loved the original Deus Ex. I am 33 and remember it vividly. This game was so spectacular, and I enjoyed it more than the original. It was not something I was prepared for. It does not however take anything away from the original either. These games are one incredible arc. Thanks for reading, I appreciate your feedback greatly :)

thisheat1
14th Mar 2012, 05:01
Hi! :)
Glad you enjoyed the article, the game itself came at a crazy little period. It left a big stamp on that passing moment. Games choose when you play them not the other way around I think. This game convinced me of that. Other games I feel resonate like this with me. Okami, Shadow Of The Colossus, Killer 7(in a very different way). There are tons I felt chose me. Thank you so much for reading the article, I appreciate the feedback!
Be well.

thisheat1
14th Feb 2013, 01:24
Coming back today just to recirculate the blood, no loss of impact with this title whatsoever!! :)

downsouthman1
19th Apr 2013, 19:24
Hi! :)
Glad you enjoyed the article, the game itself came at a crazy little period. It left a big stamp on that passing moment. Games choose when you play them not the other way around I think. This game convinced me of that. Other games I feel resonate like this with me. Okami, Shadow Of The Colossus, Killer 7(in a very different way). There are tons I felt chose me. Thank you so much for reading the article, I appreciate the feedback!
Be well.

This may sound a bit late, & yes I'm like 2 years late to the party or whatever, but I just bought this about 2 weeks ago for $15 & I will honestly admit that had I known what this was, I woulda bought it the day it dropped. I could get all philosophical here, but I'll spare everyone. Let's just say that this is one of the most resonating games I've played as well. Though I'm not in a crazy period in my life, we are surrounded by crazy things everyday & my past is full of crazy stuff & it's only a matter of time till I'm again lost in the fog of craziness. Hopefully they put out a true sequel to this, based off the architecture of this game.

bat_brain
11th May 2013, 22:43
life's tough.

wear a helmet.

downsouthman1
13th May 2013, 14:16
life's tough.

wear a helmet.

In my last post April 19, I stated that I was not in a crazy period in my life. Now all of a sudden I am. Divorcing after 10 years marriage.