PDA

View Full Version : DEHR WINS GAME OF THE YEAR 2011 AWARD FROM ME

ZakKa89
18th Feb 2012, 13:33
I got annoyed by the lack recognition from GOTY awards. Deus Ex is better than Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and most certainly MW3. And yes, it's even more entertaining than Skyrim. So I decided to make my own award for Eidos Montreal. They deserve it

So ladies and gentlemen, I am pround to present the Adam Award to....

THE GAME OF THE YEAR 2011:

http://i.imgur.com/oMLwI.jpgg

Congrationalions Eidos Montreal!!

http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5537.gif

Pretentious Old Man.
18th Feb 2012, 15:35
Just like the Academy Awards are more usually referred to as the "Oscars" (named after Bette Davis's husband), we could call this particular gold statuette the "ADDDAAAAAAAAAAM!"

JCpies
18th Feb 2012, 15:50
And the game with best art goes to... DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION! GIVE IT UP FOR EIDOS MONTREAL EVERYBODY!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/jeffcannata/Man-clapping.gifhttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/jeffcannata/Man-clapping.gifhttp://ppil4.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/jokerclap2.gif

Zerim
18th Feb 2012, 17:23
Seriously. Best art, best story, best characters, best soundtrack.

I just wish the world and the characters were fleshed out a bit more. We're given such an amazing world but there's so little to do in it. Spend two days and you've already found everything there is to find, done everything there is to do.

And Eidos Montreal is definitely the developer of the year. Maybe it's because they're still new and excited about this, and they can still look at game development as something exciting and personal; maybe after a few years they'll join the army of soulless studios printing out game after game to milk franchises dry and just make money. Can't say anything about the future, but so far they've been absolutely great. They gave DX the utmost respect that it deserves, they valued the feedback from the audience, and it's obvious that every bit of work in HR has some serious love put into it.

If only we had an SDK, I'm pretty sure this game could become the game of the last 10 years, fixing the minor issues, including more content- heck, I'm pretty sure fans could even re-create the scrapped Montreal city hub idea.

So what about the future? At this point I'm actually kind of scared about the future. Square Enix made a LOT of money with DXHR, and I'm very, VERY scared of the possibility of the series becoming an annual cash cow at some point. We all know it's possible, look at Metal Gear!

And the fan community should not fall silent. We need to SHOW people what we think. Make videos, write articles, write to the developers, try and mod the game, we need to do whatever we can to make sure we are being heard. I think everyone here would agree that gaming is going through some tough times these days. Formerly a hobby exclusive to nerds, it's now the biggest form of entertainment and it's easy for time-honoured, respectable series to follow the money and get dumbed down to become "more accessible" to "wider audiences".

It's awesome that Deus Ex is now appealing to more people, but great care must be taken in order to protect it from becoming shallow to do this. Developers usually have their hearts in the right place, but publishers can be dangerous. That's where we come in. The devs should be able to point to us and tell the publishers; "Look. They're showing us what they want. Such and such is the kind of game they want."

So we have our responsibility too. Provide constructive criticism. Try to stay in contact with the developers. Put your thoughts out there in a coherent, accessible manner. Support innovative, high quality game development with artistic merit. Keep the fan community strong and relevant. And always remember to stick with the prod.

ZakKa89
18th Feb 2012, 18:22
Just like the Academy Awards are more usually referred to as the "Oscars" (named after Bette Davis's husband), we could call this particular gold statuette the "ADDDAAAAAAAAAAM!"

:lmao:I like the sound of that. Adam Award! Might photoshop that in next.

Rachie
19th Feb 2012, 07:29
I just finished the game earlier today (I had a lot going on my plate to get a proper sit down), and I'll have to agree. This was a seriously good game from start 'til finish. It also had one of the toughest 'pick-a-side' moments I've experienced, which is a great thing - never should any decision be black and white, especially about a heavy topic such as morality and human evolution.

Well done, Eidos. :thumb::cool:

nameless1
21st Feb 2012, 08:28
Human Revolution & The Witcher 2 share the GOTY throne, in my book, but if I had to choose one of them, I'd go for Adam (sorry Geralt)..

Great job, EM!:thumb:

PS. For the next game, listen to community even more, it'll make it better..

Dr_Bob
23rd Feb 2012, 23:50
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Batman: Arkham City are my top games of 2011.

KingNL
24th Feb 2012, 01:38
And the game with best art goes to... DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION! GIVE IT UP FOR EIDOS MONTREAL EVERYBODY!

More like, best everything.

Senka
24th Feb 2012, 03:12
More like, best everything.

No.

ZakKa89
24th Feb 2012, 09:23
No.

yes

Senka
25th Feb 2012, 00:28
Yeah, no.

If it had "best everything" it wouldn't be hard to choose between HR and TW2 for goty. TW2 did a lot of things better than HR.

Chromie
25th Feb 2012, 04:26
Yeah, no.

If it had "best everything" it wouldn't be hard to choose between HR and TW2 for goty. TW2 did a lot of things better than HR.

The Witcher 2 has to be my favorite rpg of not only last year but in a long time. It was really amazing and while I love Deus Ex the ending was rushed and at least CDProjekt is adding 4 hours of content to their Act 3 which is already great.

ZakKa89
5th Jun 2012, 12:39
Why is this not stickied? Sorry for the shameless bump.

GamerSam
6th Jun 2012, 04:12
The game wasn't such a soul sucking, life draining game that last for the umph hours upon hours, you'll never see the light of day. It was just perfect. Not too long and not too short either. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Of course other factors may have contributes to the game overall, like the soundtracks and the color theme of black and gold.

That's why it was my Game of the Year in 2011. I like it, so with that. I'm looking forward to see Tomb Raider (re-boot) in action in 2013. I think you have a fan on your hands here folks :). We'll see.

Sweetpea8472
6th Jun 2012, 13:23
This was the first game in a lot of years which made me lose the time. So much that I played through the night several times. And that hasn't happened to me in the last 15 years or so...