PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex HR Won GOTY in VGA 2011!

KingNL
12th Feb 2012, 01:32
http://vidyagaemawards.com/results.php?votesTable

100% deserved.
It also got runner up on best music, best trailer and best writing, as well as third place on best voice-acting..

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2185/1212pu.png

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Feb 2012, 01:39
http://vidyagaemawards.com/results.php?votesTable

100% deserved.
It also got runner up on best music, best trailer and best writing, as well as third place on best voice-acting..
]

Awesome. :cool:
Congratulations Eidos Montreal.

Thanks for posting, KingNL. I quoted you in News thread updates too.

Shralla
12th Feb 2012, 01:46
That's pretty impressive considering how much 4chan loves the original Deus Ex and hates everything else.

Zerim
12th Feb 2012, 01:55
Yeah, I've seen it live.

Totally didn't expect it to win after seeing it lose the Planescape Award for Best Writing. I mean, I voted for HR of course, but the results were pretty weird. Mark Hamill lost a voice acting award? Seriously?

So I was VERY surprised when the name "Deus Ex" came on screen as GOTY, after all the votes for Bastion and Portal 2 I seriously expected one of those to win.

It was a pretty good feeling. It's been a while since I've seen a game I love get the appreciation it deserves.
Shows how /v/'s still got it even with all the casuals filling the board lately.

They cannot stop the future.

KingNL
12th Feb 2012, 01:58
I value this way more than corporate game shows such as gamespot/IGN/Spike's GOTY awards as I feel like I actually had a say in this one by voting.

Congrats to Eidos Montreal & Square-Enix!

imported_BoB_
12th Feb 2012, 03:10
after all the votes for Bastion and Portal 2 I seriously expected one of those to win.

Without being nominated, it would have been quite difficult :D

It didn't surprise me with all the good feedbacks since the leak happened personally but I won't say that "they still got it" with all the Valve love that I absolutely don't get at all (****ting on Origin whereas Steam was basically the same thing way back then, and I'm pretty sure Portal would never have been a hit without the Valve brand in the first place but hey, that's just me :D)

Zerim
12th Feb 2012, 03:32
I agree. Valve is the most overrated company in modern gaming. I tried so hard to get what people see in their games, but I just can't. They were all just mediocre to me.

Serendip1ty
12th Feb 2012, 06:02
I agree. Valve is the most overrated company in modern gaming. I tried so hard to get what people see in their games, but I just can't. They were all just mediocre to me.

If Eidos Montreal had the same approach as Valve towards game development we would have definitely seen a thriving modding community by now & this forum would have been filled with game mod threads & tweaks. And given Valve's reputation of neurotic game polishing HR would probably have been pushed back a year before it was released since deadlines are pretty much non-existent in their work ethics...

"All just mediocre" :lol: Oh well... lets say i'm glad people have different opinions & leave it at that.

imported_BoB_
12th Feb 2012, 20:44
And given Valve's reputation of neurotic game polishing HR would probably have been pushed back a year before it was released since deadlines are pretty much non-existent in their work ethics...

Work ethics, yeah right... No related to the ****load of money that they're winning through Steam's royalties, of course not. If every developers could postpone their game, they would do it.

Pinky_Powers
12th Feb 2012, 21:46

I can understand when folk struggle to see what I see in Valve game. Because it's not a feature you can point to, or even a set of features. It's not a mechanic or a genre trope... it's just quality. Valve delivers a level of quality in every aspect of their games which sets them apart so impressively. They are masters... true artists... and their games are the equivalent of fine art.

It's okay if you disagree; that's the nature of art.

Serendip1ty
12th Feb 2012, 23:11
Work ethics, yeah right... No related to the ****load of money that they're winning through Steam's royalties, of course not. If every developers could postpone their game, they would do it.

I'm talking about the development time of HL2/ TF2 & the episodes in particular. They managed to stay independent, took a huge gamble with HL2 requiring steam & it payed of immensely in the long run. Why did it work? Because the people at Valve worked their asses off & dared to invest money in the company instead of putting it on a private bank account. If Gabe Newell isn't a billioniare yet, he will be soon & he wouldn't have gotten there without these work ethics.

Like Pinky_Powers said they deliver a rare level of quality that sets them apart.

Senka
13th Feb 2012, 07:06
Surprised to see gabe take out the Canis Majoris award. Also shame to see Witcher 2 didn't go as high as I'd hoped.

Kamikave
13th Feb 2012, 16:42
Valve delivers a level of quality in every aspect of their games which sets them apart so impressively. They are masters... true artists... and their games are the equivalent of fine art.

Well, sorry to disagree, but I think the "Valve touch" is long gone, if it was even there in the first place. L4D 2 was a complete failure to me (uglier and a lot less funny than the fisrt), L4D 1 was not even developped by Valve, Half-life 2 has litterally no scenario (not without a good look at wikipedia) and is not as fun as HL 1... CS, not Valve, they just bought it and re-released it, Portal was fun, for a free game offered with the orange box, wouldn't have buy it. And finally, Valve hasn't done anything new (really new, not recycling) since Half-life 2 and the source engine (that's 2004).
So yeah, I think Valve is quite overrated.

By the way, who decides the real GOTY editions ?

ZakKa89
13th Feb 2012, 21:59
I can understand when folk struggle to see what I see in Valve game. Because it's not a feature you can point to, or even a set of features. It's not a mechanic or a genre trope... it's just quality. Valve delivers a level of quality in every aspect of their games which sets them apart so impressively. They are masters... true artists... and their games are the equivalent of fine art.

This, except for the fact that you CAN explain why valve games are so great. It would just take too long to summarize though :D. Quality in every single detail is a good description though.

Shralla
14th Feb 2012, 19:12
L4D 2 was a complete failure to me (uglier and a lot less funny than the fisrt)

Yet more balanced, featuring more variety both in terms of survivors and infected, with significantly better level design and gameplay mechanics than the first. As for uglier, you're just wrong. Period. But clearly the humor is what makes a game good, especially a multiplayer one.

L4D 1 was not even developped by Valve,

If Valve hires a team and they design a game, then guess what! That game was made by Valve.

Half-life 2 has litterally no scenario (not without a good look at wikipedia)

Aaaaaand you stick your foot in your mouth even further. How do you expect us to take you seriously when you obviously didn't even spend enough time with Half-Life 2 to actually pay attention to the world you're wandering around in. You are literally complaining because Half-Life 2 chose to show rather than tell, when all you want is to be told everything that's going on.

and is not as fun as HL 1

Opinions, ho!

Portal was fun, for a free game offered with the orange box, wouldn't have buy it.

It's funny that you choose to interpret Portal as having been "free" with the Orange Box when it was just as much part of the package as everything else. If I had to break down the prices of everything in the Orange Box, I would say both Portal and Episode 2 were $20, TF2 was $10, and HL2 and Episode 1 were free. I can't imagine why you would pick a brand new IP as having been the "free" part of that package, except that you're trying to prove your point and saying that makes it sound much better.

And finally, Valve hasn't done anything new (really new, not recycling) since Half-life 2 and the source engine (that's 2004).

You were literally just talking about Portal. What the hell is wrong with you?

ZakKa89
14th Feb 2012, 21:50
Shralla, you destroyed him.

sonicsidewinder
14th Feb 2012, 22:54
D-Stroyed.

Regardless if you think valve overated, theyre hard not to love. What with them being our benign PC Overlords.

The Steam Masters...

They bring us together.

The only bad thing they've done that comes to mind is the other day where gabe basically said,

"Right, so remember when we were hacked? And we said we think they never got any of your money info? Well, we still hope that, and we wanna make sure you know that, but...well....erm... they might have your money info.
So check your accounts...

- From Gabe (to make it look sincere)"

Stellazira
14th Feb 2012, 23:19
I like Valve and they make quality games...

but where's Episode 3?!?!

Jerion
15th Feb 2012, 04:53
I like Valve and they make quality games...

but where's Episode 3?!?!

Sitting on an internal SAN drive inside Valve, most likely. ;)

BigBoss
16th Feb 2012, 01:06
"least hated game of the year" lol

regarding this whole valve debate.....in my experience, if I play a valve game within a year that it comes out, I find it awesome. BUT I did play half life 2 in 08' and was bored out of my mind. It's the same problem I have with film. Something can be a benchmark in the medium but it is inevitably copied sooooo much that it loses it's unique value. I've seen the methods of storytelling in half life 2 in dozens of other games (which were released after) so it didn't have an impact on me. That said, the ending of episode 2 was incredible and still is to this day because most games have yet to try that level of emotion for an ending.

Kamikave
17th Feb 2012, 16:37
You were literally just talking about Portal. What the hell is wrong with you?
I'll anwser with another question : Does Skyrim use Morrowind engine ? What about L4D 2 and Portal 2 ? I'll say it again, as great and trustworthy as they may be with Steam, Valve, as a developper, hasn't done anything new since 2004. Only recycling.

KenTWOu
18th Feb 2012, 08:52
L4D 2 was a complete failure to me (uglier and a lot less funny than the fisrt), L4D 1 was not even developped by Valve
Sorry to disappoint you, but L4D1 for campers. You can't do such thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVY_VHoBNo) in Left 4 Dead 2, because one spitter (http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Spitter) is enough to ruin everything for these guys! L4D2 demands better team work because it has tons of improvements here and there besides new special infected. Now it even has all campaigns from L4D1. So it's obvious that L4D2 is much better than L4D1.

And finally, Valve hasn't done anything new (really new, not recycling) since Half-life 2 and the source engine (that's 2004).
What about incredible AI director for Left 4 Dead 1,2 which makes unique experience every time you play any campaign? What about innovative co-op mode for Portal 2 with co-op experience between PC and PS3 players?

P.S: Congratulations Eidos Montreal! DE:HR is my personal GOTY.

Senka
18th Feb 2012, 12:10
I'll anwser with another question : Does Skyrim use Morrowind engine ? What about L4D 2 and Portal 2 ? I'll say it again, as great and trustworthy as they may be with Steam, Valve, as a developper, hasn't done anything new since 2004. Only recycling.

Hurp they update the engine. They also occasionally port these engine updates back to games running on the old version of source.