PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but a few things that bugged me. *Possible Spoilers*

ayjazz
25th Jan 2012, 15:22
Possible Spoilers

I really enjoyed HR, and it was definitely a worthy entry into the Deus Ex series. However, after doing a playthrough of the original Deus Ex, there was one thing I feel like the original did better. The overall theme in the original Deus Ex seemed to be much more relatable and thought provoking than in HR. In DX, the overall message to me was a discussion of the role of government in humanity's life, the balance between maintaining order, and respecting the rights of people, and the influence that powerful people have on the world.

HR had this as well, but I felt like it took a backseat to the whole transhumanism theme. One thing I missed from Deus Ex was the random political and philosophical conversations you could have with NPCs, or overhear. The Morpheus conversation, the conversation with the bartender at the Lucky Money Club, when you interrogate Leo Gold in the Statue, remarks made by Paul when you meet him at this apartment, if you interrogate the prisoners at UNACTO HQ with Walton Simons, remarks made by Chad in the catacombs, etc. Maybe I missed it, but conversations like that weren't as strong in HR. The ending monologues, maybe, but nothing like in the original game.

The biggest thing I loved about DX is that you can make connections to it and the real world. The War On Terror (and keep in mind that this game predates it), the power of corporations over government and people, how much power should the rulers have, the rights of possible criminals and such. With things like SOPA, NDAA, Citizens United, ACTA (NOTE: I'm not trying to start a political debate here, just saying), I just feel like the political themes of DX would have connected with audiences better than Transhumanism, simply because it's not really a big issue (yet).

On a smaller note, I wish they focused a bit more on the anti-aug side. Perhaps it's an unavoidable bias, seeing that you work for a biotech firm and are augmented yourself. However, if they incorporated some of the "homeless augmented people" from the Purity First Trailer begging for drug money, and got to see the negative effects of neuropozyne firsthand rather than just hear about it from other characters, it would have made the debate much more interesting, rather than just "I hate Augs because God says no", or "I hate augs because you look freaky!" (Of course, these remarks came from common NPCs, and much like in real life, tend to have knee-jerk opinions)

Just my opinion though, and I'm not ragging on HR. I loved it, and it's in my top games, and I can't wait to see what else EM has to offer for the DX universe. It's just something I had to get off my chest. What does everyone else think?

Phlegm
29th Jan 2012, 08:05
I really wished we could have seen mechs begging on the streets as well. I felt a certain sidequest in Detroit missed the mark a bit. It would have hit home a lot more if we could see that bloke passing the essential drug out to beggars in the alleys.

brangdon
29th Jan 2012, 16:41
I actually got a strong sense of the rational anti-augs argument. The brothel was explicit enough: girls being forced into changing themselves in order to please customers better, incidentally addicting them to neuropozyne so they had to stay on the game to pay for the drug that kept them alive.

Aside from that I agree. DX:HR was one-note compared to the original. And that note was not particularly deep. Once the neuropozyne thing is solved, augs start to seem like an unmixed blessing, and the problems are more to people like the Illuminati using it as a tool of oppression.

3rdmillhouse
30th Jan 2012, 00:38
The only things that bugged me on this game is the fact that the streets are too thin, there's not enough space for crowded car traffic, in either Lower Hengsha or Detroit; also, the characters don't seem to change their clothes through the course of the game, Megan for instance used the same outfit for six months. :P

I actually got a strong sense of the rational anti-augs argument. The brothel was explicit enough: girls being forced into changing themselves in order to please customers better, incidentally addicting them to neuropozyne so they had to stay on the game to pay for the drug that kept them alive.

Aside from that I agree. DX:HR was one-note compared to the original. And that note was not particularly deep. Once the neuropozyne thing is solved, augs start to seem like an unmixed blessing, and the problems are more to people like the Illuminati using it as a tool of oppression.

But you forget that augs aren't cheap. Even if Sarif went public and ended the need for neuropozine, the augmentation industry would still cause a new form of segregation in society, because everyone of those who feared getting augmented due to the threat of neuropozyne scarcity will no longer fear such outcome. Society would then be divided between not haves and have-nots, but humans and cyborgs.

ayjazz
30th Jan 2012, 06:31
The brothel is a good example for the anti-aug argument, but I still feel like the anti-augs were a bit too strawmanish in the game. While it is understandable to have quite a few zealous people on such a sensitive issue, it would have been nice to see a "rational" person on anti-augs, not just "HURR DURR, YOU'RE PLAYING GOD HEATHEN."

Like I said before, I wish we could have had political/philosophical conversations with random strangers like in the first game. The bartender in China was my favorite in the first.

pukster
2nd Feb 2012, 01:24
The only things that bugged me on this game is the fact that the streets are too thin, there's not enough space for crowded car traffic, in either Lower Hengsha or Detroit; also, the characters don't seem to change their clothes through the course of the game, Megan for instance used the same outfit for six months. :P

It's the general trend in gaming. People want hi res textures so environments get smaller.