PDA

View Full Version : This is the greatest game I have ever played

Deu
25th Jan 2012, 05:01
There are just a few simple details that bug me, but the biggest one is how I cant return to the open world at the end of the game. Dont know why, but it gives me an empty feeling inside since none of the decisions I made in the game seemed to affect the 4 endings. I really liked this story and I wanted to go back, talk to everybody, and then derp around the map. Sigh... just didnÈt want the game to end, does anybody else feel the sameÉ

as you can see, HP sucks at making keyboards.. èèèèèÈÈÈÈÈÈÈÈèèèèèèè canèt disable this crap... èèèèèèÈÈÈÉÉÉÈÈÈÈ

Oh well, Ill just start up a new game and try to complete it again without using guns(except for the boss fights).

Senka
26th Jan 2012, 06:37
Play the original. No, really.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/?snr=1_4_4__13

It outshines HR in all but a few areas, overall the original however is the greater game if you can get past the initial trials of playing such an old game. It's worth it to discover the best experience gaming has produced yet. If you like what HR does you'll love Dx1.

Assuming you haven't played it already.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jan 2012, 14:56
There are just a few simple details that bug me, but the biggest one is how I cant return to the open world at the end of the game. Dont know why, but it gives me an empty feeling inside since none of the decisions I made in the game seemed to affect the 4 endings. I really liked this story and I wanted to go back, talk to everybody, and then derp around the map. Sigh... just didnÈt want the game to end, does anybody else feel the sameÉ

as you can see, HP sucks at making keyboards.. èèèèèÈÈÈÈÈÈÈÈèèèèèèè canèt disable this crap... èèèèèèÈÈÈÉÉÉÈÈÈÈ

Oh well, Ill just start up a new game and try to complete it again without using guns(except for the boss fights).

The ending was just disappointing in general. I do not, however, feel anything good would have come of allowing the player to persist after the game was over. This is not that sort of title. It's a tight narrative experience that takes you with real drive through the story.

As Senka says, if you want to see how a Deus Ex game is supposed to end, play the first.

Neuromancer07
27th Jan 2012, 05:14
As Senka says, if you want to see how a Deus Ex game is supposed to end, play the first.

I personally wasn't a fan of the ending of the first game, Area 51 was just mediocre in my opinion in the conceptual design and execution of the area. It's clear from the very experience, retrospectives and what we know from the Deus Ex Bible that the developers considered it to be a rushed alternative to a more compelling end-game visitation to the moon and would also have included some level set in the white house.

I actually preferred the conceptual design of Panchea, the striking visual design, vistas and locale and even the integration of a favoured gaming trope of mine, wherein the final part of a game features a permutation of existing mechanics (Half-Life 2 is a pretty famous example of this). That said, I do wish one could have been in attendance to the events with a lot of social interaction prior to the event in question. I imagine something in the mould of the Detroit Convention Centre area, where one could talk freely to NPCs, stage a confrontation verbally, utilise stealth or violence. Being given to even avoid the sabotage in question could have been a remarkably compelling gameplay choice.

I did however dislike the boss fight though largely because it was unavoidable as it was actually better than the others in the game in my opinion. Of course also the manner in which in the final choices are presented though they do fit perfectly into the concept of a deus ex machina, and the uncomfortable convenience corroborates that, but the meta-appropriateness doesn't salvage the execution.

As for the topic generally. I thought the original Deus Ex has some elements which are better; The level design differences vary quite substantially within both games but there are some truly massive contiguous areas in the original and obviously it handles the choice of boss fights excellently. I also miss entangling myself into NPC conversations and arguing politics and philosophy (coupled with the conversational persuasion mechanic this could have been brilliant). To me though Human Revolution does pretty much everything else better and on some counts is utterly humbling in terms of achievement such the art design and scientific grounding.

I'd say it's my favourite title along with the original, perhaps I have a soft spot for Human Revolution, given my own dramatic reversal on the development, the rarity of this type of game, especially with this level of polish (see Alpha Protocol and Vampire: Bloodlines), the usual outcome of franchise resurrections, my hopelessness after Invisible War, my personal fondness for the developers and what they managed to achieve on a debut. If they build on the foundation of Human Revolution in the inevitable sequel rather than synthesis content (in the manner that Assassin's Creed II did over the original) then I don't think I'll be in a similar state of ambivalence over the already flawed notion of ranking complex works of interactive art.

Pinky_Powers
27th Jan 2012, 06:15
I personally wasn't a fan of the ending of the first game, Area 51 was just mediocre.

I wasn't referring to the end level, but the actual endings, and how those choices were presented to you.

Neuromancer07
27th Jan 2012, 11:27
I wasn't referring to the end level, but the actual endings, and how those choices were presented to you.

I think they were obviously better paced in discovery and realised than in Human Revolution but I think even in Deus Ex the various angles came about too quickly and conveniently. It would have been great if consequential decisions throughout the game impacted the variety of endings and their tenor, The Witcher 2 actually handled this perfectly.

Phlegm
27th Jan 2012, 12:30
In Deus Ex I liked having to choose what you wanted while you were in the Area 51 "final zone" rather than the button pressing.

It would have been cool to go back and revisit the city hubs at the end, but it was never going to happen. What would be awesome is some kind of Deus Ex sandbox with a big city to muck around in.

No fridge would go unthrown, and no cardboard box unturned.

Senka
27th Jan 2012, 14:12
you pretty much just described the idea I've had at the back of my mind for a game. With a few twists however..

Also Dx1 is now being sold on gog.com for $10, which is of course drm free and includes some bonuses such as a couple of hd wallpapers, soundtrack etc etc. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/deus_ex

imported_the_guy
29th Jan 2012, 09:05
DX:HRs ending was too sudden, like they were making the game and suddenly thought "oh ****" we only have 1 more day until he game is released" and had to quickly cobble together an ending to the game, and abandon the multi-path, multi-choice, morally deep, shades of grey ending.

Phlegm
29th Jan 2012, 09:15
I think the choices of ending were good, just not well executed in how you get them or the cinematic (loved the voiceovers, but needed more interesting visuals).

Panchaea was awesome until you came across you know whats. There's more creative ways to make enemies in that state than making them you know what.

kabukiman1973
2nd Feb 2012, 12:12
I didn't like much of the ending of HR, I prefered the original. And since we know how the world will be in 2 decades latter, maybe they should have created diferent endings to the char, instead of the world, because some don't make much sense with Deus ex 1. Oh, and I loved the post-credits.

Zerim
3rd Feb 2012, 23:28
I concur. This is probably the best game I have ever played- and I've played a LOT of games. I'm liking it more and more every time I replay it. Gaming is probably the biggest part of my life, so it's a pretty big deal for me when a game makes it to my to my top ten. This slowly creeped into my top 5, then top 3, and before I knew it- I was calling this game my favorite of all time.

It has a LOT of flaws. Most of them due to it's production schedule and budget, among other things. I see it as kind of like Blade Runner- it's a game that tried to be too different for it's time, tried to accomplish too much for it's own good; the money guys weren't fully on board with that. A lot of content was cut, a lot of features were dumbed down. A lot of potential died away. But the things that this game captured well, it did them so good that I'm willing to still consider DXHR overall my favorite game.

Perhaps, like Blade Runner, it's cult following will allow the game to eventually return, fully fleshed out and clear of all shortcomings. One can always dream.