PDA

View Full Version : [AGGREGATE] Legacy of Kain Series FAQs - Blood Omen through Defiance

blincoln
28th Jun 2002, 18:50
[ Reposted from the old SR2 forum, original post by Warpsavant ]

I got these answers from Amy and she said some other cool stuff, and she said I could share the answers with everyone at the forum, so I can post it here so you can all see. I included the intro too, as I thought it was really good.

Another side note -- I do read all the LoK message boards and forums as regularly as possible, so people should understand that we do see and consider all of their feedback, even if we don't participate openly on the boards. They should know that the forums are a "direct line" to us, and we consider everyone's questions, concerns, frustrations, etc. as we develop the SR games.

I see on some boards (particularly the GameFAQs board) some longtime fans noting perceived inconsistencies in the LoK fiction, and questioning our research and familiarity with BO:LoK's story.
I don't know if you've encountered this, but I'd want to assure those people that I do in fact know the LoK history/mythology inside and out, having worked on it since mid-'95. I also have a lot of unique information that none of the fans are privy to -- including a year of collaboration with SK on BO:LoK, and all the original BO:LoK design documents that were created over that game's 3.5-year development (including a lot of cut or altered material).
So many things were left vague and open to interpretation in BO:LoK, that generally these "inconsistencies" are simply a matter of my interpretation of the material not matching a fan's interpretation. And of course there are those elements which are inconsistent or illogical within the BO:LoK story itself (or between the various LoK sources, including the FAQ and the strategy guide), which I've done my best to re-frame or clarify within the sequels.

And a final note -- we do in fact make mistakes sometimes. Or more often there are times when an artist might misinterpret or misrepresent something, and we have no time to go back and fix it, because it's considered a minor ("C") bug and there are more important things to address before the game is released. With all our care and desire for depth and consistency, in the end this is a business and we're constantly under pressure from the publisher. As a result, certain things that we -- as artists -- think are important still get left on the cutting room floor, or go unfixed, because there's simply no time.

Okay, after that long-winded introduction, on to the questions --

Bo/Sr2

A: Vorador was a human being. In the eras depicted in BO:LoK, Vorador was already an ancient, highly-evolved vampire (which is why his appearance is so "inhuman"). So the human Vorador was born in a much earlier, more "primitive" period within Nosgoth's history.

A: Without going into too much detail, there are various ways a vampire can be born/created. The ancient/original Vampires (like Janos) had one method, by which Vorador was raised, and by which Vorador would also raise his vampire offspring. This would be a more "traditional" method, where the vampiric curse is passed from one vampire to a human. Mortanius raised Kain by necromancy -- this gives Kain a unique vampiric heritage. Because of this unique heritage, Kain's method of creating his vampire "sons" is also unique -- rather than using the traditional "blood" gift to create a vampire, Kain must donate a portion of his spirit. By breathing a portion of his soul into a corpse, that creature's soul is drawn back into the body and the creature is resurrected as a vampire. This is how Kain raised his six lieutenants in the Tomb of Sarafan.

A: That's partially right. Before the blood curse, the ancient Vampires could reproduce; following the curse, they became immortal but could no longer reproduce offspring. They could only pass on their vampiric gift/curse to human "offspring" (as Janos did to Vorador). But this isn't necessarily why they were extinct.

A: This has not yet been revealed. At the time (as represented in BO:LoK's FMA), certain members of the Circle were watching and guiding the movements of the Sarafan via the "viewing basin" in the chamber. Mortanius' whereabouts have not been revealed.

A: This is intentionally unexplained. It's not exactly a giant coincidence, when you consider the event which precipitated both Raziel's and Vorador's infiltration of the Stronghold...

A: This has not been revealed. There is a connection, though.

blincoln
28th Jun 2002, 18:51
A: This is an important question (and brings up the major "inconsistency" complaint of the fans on the GameFAQs board). The Balance Guardian is different from the other Guardians -- he/she is the hub, the still point around which all the other Pillars principles turn. As such, the Balance Guardian does not have a traditional binding item. The Balance Guardian's very soul is the thing which binds him/her to the Pillar.

A: Malek gets fused to his armor not long after the slaughter of the Circle (though it hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet exactly how much time passed). When Mortanius says "US" he means the Circle as an entity. Remember that following the murder of the six Guardians, six new Guardians would born already destined to take their place -- they may not have been discovered or adopted into the Circle yet, but their destinies would already be unfolding.

A: Actually, Anarcrothe says "Stand with us, Mortanius, or die" (which is a little different than "serve us"). When he says "us," Anarcrothe also means the Circle as an entity -- but there's a deeper meaning, too, which hasn't been revealed.

A: Ariel knows more than she's ever let on. There's a lot more to the Circle's corruption than was revealed in BO:LoK. Ariel is a significant character, and plays a pivotal role in Nosgoth's destiny (which is why she was included in SR2, even though she only got one scene).

A: hehe, I just wrote Chris a response to this question, so he could post it on the forum. Here's what I told him: The entity who confronts and speaks to Kain at the end of BO:LoK is indeed the being alternately known as "the Unspoken," the "Dark Entity" and "Hash'ak'gik". But does the deformation of Mortanius' flesh that it uses to manifest represent its true form ? ... that question is still open to speculation...

I also included the following info:
To clarify, the being referred to as the "Dark Entity", the "Unspoken" and "Hash'ak'gik" are all the same entity. This was left very vague in BO:LoK, but clarified in SK's FAQ and in the dialogue scripts themselves.

Just so you know -- the being is never called "the Dark Entity" in the game; this is just what the being is called in the stage directions of the dialogue scripts, and this is what SK calls it in their FAQ.
When Ariel tells Kain to "beware the Unspoken", she's talking about the Dark Entity. (The "Unspoken" name is also referenced in SK's FAQ).

The name "Hash'ak'gik" is only used once in the game -- when Kain finds the secret, bloody altar in the depths of the catacombs beneath Avernus Cathedral. There's passage of "scripture" found here, which reads:

And Hash’ak’gik spoke unto the world, and all who heard trembled. “Bring me your first born, and shed their blood upon the altar of the world, so I might take nourishment from them. Do this without question, or suffer my wrath for eternity.” And its will was done.

Thus the game sort of left it open to interpretation whether the Dark Entity Kain confronts at the end of BO:LoK was this Hash'ak'gik character...
but it was clarified in SK's FAQ, where they did state that the Dark Entity possessing Mortanius is, in fact, Hash'ak'gik.

A: I'm not sure what you mean by this question... the same as what?
The staff you see Moebius carrying is always the same staff (there's not more than one). When the Sarafan ambush Janos in the Retreat, they are carrying Moebius' staff. And yes, this helps explain why Vorador was helpless during his capture and execution.

A: None of this has been revealed yet.

A: hehe -- they're not lost in the time shuffle, they just don't have much to do with Raziel's and Kain's journeys in SR.

A: Yeah, I won't explicitly answer what "the Binding" is, but I think you can figure it out from SR2's dialogue...

Here is SR1

A: Yes, that was the original concept sketch for Turel. But that doesn't mean much anymore; it was drawn so long ago, that it's not really relevant anymore.

A: No, Raziel never met Turel -- he means that Turel eluded him by his absence. I know people are anxious to (finally) meet Turel, and hope he's in SR3. Let's put it this way... we absolutely have not forgotten about Turel; he's a critical piece of the puzzle.

faq=Q: Did raziel just fall into the Elders Lair? And like adapt somehow to his
surroundings?]
A: Do you mean was Raziel correct in his accusations in his final confrontation with the Elder God? When people hear the dialogue, it's important to remember that just because a character says something, it isn't necessarily correct. What you're hearing is that character's opinion and subjective interpretation. So if you mean: "did Raziel just drop into the EG's lap by coincidence, or did the EG have something to do with his resurrection?" Let's just say Raziel doesn't know everything yet, and neither do we.[/faq]

faq=Q: Why is the Underworld not in the Spectral Realm? Does it not exist? Is it another plane/dimension? Is it just the "deep spectral" realm and doesnt
come in contact with the material plane? I dont know what this one falls
under.]
A: The Underworld is in the spectral realm... I'm not sure what this question means.[/faq]

A: This is currently unrevealed.

A: Also unrevealed at this point. Your answers below are all partially correct. Like many things in LoK, there isn't one simple answer. On the basic level -- yes, he broke his wings so he couldn't escape being thrown into the Abyss. But there's more to it than that.

Okay thats it!

Divine Shadow
29th Jun 2002, 03:02
Since all the old posts and threads are going to be deleted, I felt the need to chronicle some of the questions and answers that have, over the years, been divulged by everyone's favourite undead Lead-Playtester. I do this to preserve the information before it is deleted forever, and to create something that newer members can consult before asking already-asked questions to the Butterfly Lord. Without further ado, here are Chris@Crystal's Greatest Hits....

----------

Warpsavant asked...

For quite some time Ive been wondering what exactly the large structure is in the Ruins that is in the giant room down there where the air and dark fonts are located. There is also a fire font in this room very high up on a ledge. SOmetimes the room is filled with water, sometimes its not.

So what exactly is the thing in the middle of the room? With the air vent in front of it you use to fly on top of it?

Is it some type of coffin, or crypt?

Is it the elder ones armor or something?

Is it some kind of altar?

Let me know what it is, please! Its drivin me crazy!

Chris Bruno responded:

I always thought it was a statue of the Elder also, but I'll check with the team. I'll get back to you soon.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

-----------------------------------

Hi again,
Amy told me it's simply a statue, a symbolic representation of the Elder God fashioned by an ancient, primitive cult.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Blincoln asked...

Hi Chris.
I believe this has been asked before, but are there any plans to release more LoK merch when - for example - BO2 is released? Obviously something like a life-sized Reaver is a little unrealistic, but I'd totally be interested in buying posters, or like a patch with the Kain symbol on it, and other people here have mentioned being interested in LoK t-shirts so we can basically like advertise the series as we go about our business during the day =).

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
More LOK and SR merchandise sounds like a great thing to me, I will pass on your requests. As far as the list:
- T-shirts
Only SR2 t-shirts were made special for the team.
- Patches (game logos? clan symbol patches? If I could get patches of all the clan symbols I'd totally cover my backpack with them)
I've never seen any patches. Sounds like a good idea though.
- Posters
I've got a few SR1 posters, but they were promotional only for retail stores. We also have some SR2 banners hanging up here at Crystal.
- "a 6ft. robotic Raziel that actually eats your soul."
We actually have a 6 ft. Raziel here in the building and his eyes light up. Haven't seen him consume any souls yet. I do not believe these will ever be for sale.
- a life-sized Reaver replica (bonus if it actually makes you invincible and/or able to alter the course of history)
This sounds really neat, but I have yet to see one.
There also have been SR watches in the past, statues, and of course figures. If I hear of anything going up for sale, I'll post the info here.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

keepittru asked...

please could you talk to your team and see if they can make a remake of soul reaver1 on ps2 with better graphics more enemies more secret glyph magic and energy power ups, more secret locations, and ariel reaver but keep same fighting engine as on sr1 and also make turel the vampire also so we can fight him and also keep the same great music on sr1, pleeeeaaase consider this, and also if kain was supposed to be killed by raz why wasnt the pillars restored in the future,( not meaning in sr2)

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
I understand why many of you long for another version of SR1, but we need to move forwards not backwards. I will pass on your requests to the team, but I do not think we will be going back to re-do SR1. The team is starting work on SR3 and that should keep them pretty busy for a while.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Non-existent asked...

Chris, is it at all possible for you to clear up some information about Malek? First, there happens to be conflicting numbers of Guardians that fell to Vorador's attack, is the number given in SR2 the one we are to consider accurate (that being six)?

Second, in SR2 when Moebius tells Raziel that only three Guardians survived, himself and two others, and given the nature of the ending, is Malek supposed to be the third, or are we to take the information given for BO that says Malek was not a Guardian until after he was fused to his armor?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello there,
Yes, Vorador slaughtered six of the Guardians in his ambush (just as he told Kain in BO:LoK). Some people were confused by the cinematic in BO:LoK, which only shows Vorador killing four of the Guardians -- but the cinematic should be interpreted as an edited "montage" of his attack. He did in fact kill six of the Guardians.

In BO:LoK, it does not say that Malek became a Guardian after he was fused to his armor. This is a common misconception, but in fact the text of BO:LoK never explicitly states when Malek became a Guardian. The dialogue only says that he is the defender of the Nine, last of the Sarafan sorcerer-priests, and the Guardian of Conflict.

So the three Guardians that survived Vorador's attack are Moebius, Mortanius and Malek.
Hopefully this answers a few questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Hello again,
I see there's still a little confusion regarding Malek and his role as a Guardian in BO:LoK. It was admittedly pretty vague in BO:LoK's dialogue, but Kain clearly identifies Malek as the Guardian of Conflict when he returns Nupraptor's Head (the first token) to the Pillars.
He says:
I placed Nupraptor’s head before the Pillar of the Mind, and watched on as it dissolved into the stone.
The pillar accepted its offering, thus it was restored. Nupraptor was but the genesis – forever tainted by his madness, the Circle was beyond redemption. For them absolution lay only in death. In me, they would find their deliverance.
But first I had to defeat their shepherd – Malek, defender of the Nine, lay in a keep far to the north, past Vasserbünde. It was time for me to test the wrath of the Pillar of Conflict.
In the Silicon Knights FAQ, it says that Malek was originally recruited to protect the Circle, but came to embody the spirit of Conflict and became that Pillar's Guardian. It doesn't specifically say when this happens.
Hope this helps out.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Blincoln asked...

Hi Chris =).
A lot of us have been discussing this on the Eidos forums as well as the Nosgoth.net site, so I thought I'd ask and get the official word.
Is there any chance *ever* that CrystalD and/or Eidos would allow the release of the unfinished PSX version of the original Soul Reaver with whatever parts were finished of the material that ended up not making it in? I realize that a significant portion of it was not finished, but a lot of the hard-core fans would love to see what is there, especially in light of the dialogue in SR2 that implies that those events will no longer take place (I mean, I was totally happy just to find the giant room and hallway in the middle of the Citadel that aren't supposed to be there. Who cares if you end up falling into nothingness sometimes if you get to see some MORE areas that the SR team designed?). A 650MB ISO download would be kind of taxing on the Eidos servers, but I'm sure at least one of us would be willing to host it in some form, *or* it would be really cool to see it as one of the DVD bonuses for SR3 - "Insert this disc into your PC, copy srbeta.iso to your hard drive, burn it to disc, and insert the CDR into your PSX." =).
No worries if not, like I said I just wanted to get the official answer, and make it clear to CrystalD that LoK has its fan-equivalent of the people that REALLY wanted to see the "Captain Dallas cocooned" segment of Alien, even if they had to wait a few decades for the DVD.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
I will pass on your requests to the team regarding an alternate version of SR1. Unfortunately there is not too much completed stuff that was held out of the game that I am aware of. As a game is created sometimes the story can change in the process and some parts might get cut. If you have other questions, let me know.
~Chris

Serafan asked...

how long does it normally take to make one of the SR games.... Do you have an estimate of when the project will be completed??????
Thanks a lot

Chris Bruno responded:

Serafan,
Completing a SR game is not a "normal" process, so there is really no set time period that it takes to complete a game. There are deadlines that get set, but as many of you know the games have been bigger projects than originally thought. Work is just being started on SR3, so it would be hard to say how long it will take for the game to be completed. Hopefully sometime soon, but give us some time to make sure the game is everything the fans would hope it can be.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

warpsavant asked...

Hey man, are you the Flower Chris mentioned in the Credits in the Manual? Or the other Chris?
Now my question!

When was Malek fused to his armor, before or after Mortanious was possessed? It never clearly states this anywhere either, all we have is cutscene that should be taken as "abridged versions of what happened"

So let me know when Morti fused Malek. Before or after his posession by the Dark Entity. It appears this happened before he was possessed but it isnt in the timeline on Sr2 disc so LMK, please. Thank you Chris.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey Warp,
Am I the Flower Chris you ask? I went back and checked out the manual. I am listed as Christopher Butterfly in the manual if that is what you mean. That's also my schoolbus in the picture of the Company in the Bonus Materials. I am checking about when Malek was fused to his armor. I'll let you know what I find out soon.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Hi again Warp,
There's no evidence in BO:LoK as to precisely when Mortanius was possessed by the Dark Entity. It's clear that Mortanius was under the control of the Dark Entity when he assassinated Ariel, but it's open to speculation whether he was possessed when he punished Malek.
Also note that even if he was possessed, he might not have been under the Dark Entity's control at the time. Remember that during much of Kain's journey, Mortanius still maintained control even though he was possessed.
Perhaps more information will be uncovered in Soul Reaver 3. I guess we'll have to wait and see!
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Link21 asked...

At the end of Blood Omen was the demon that you fight actually Hash'ak'gik? I don't mean was this demon also possessed by Hash or was a different representation of the true creature...

I mean was this demon 100% Hash'ak'gik???

Plus if at the time of Blood Omens release he was meant to be Hash, has that theory changed since the new LOK games to mean that he was not infact Hash???

Sorry to be so technical but I wanted to cover all bases

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Link21,
I spoke with Amy about your questions. Let's put it this way -- the entity who confronts and speaks to Kain at the end of BO:LoK is indeed the being alternately known as "the Unspoken," the "Dark Entity" and "Hash'ak'gik".
But does the deformation of Mortanius' flesh that it uses to manifest represent its true form? ... that question is still open to speculation... I suppose we will learn more about this in the Legacy of Kain series as it unfolds.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Scripture from the secret, bloody altar in the depths of the catacombs beneath Avernus Cathedral:
And Hash’ak’gik spoke unto the world, and all who heard trembled. “Bring me your first born, and shed their blood upon the altar of the world, so I might take nourishment from them. Do this without question, or suffer my wrath for eternity.” And its will was done.

willow ayala asked...

Okay you'll all have to excuse me if this is painfully obvious but does anyone know why Crystal Dynamics decided to go with the spelling Serafan as oppose to the proper spelling Seraphim?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Bruno responded:

Willow,
The name of the monastic order pledged to the eradication of the vampires is properly spelled "Sarafan" (all "a"s).
The word Seraphim refers to an order of angels, in Biblical lore.
The name "Sarafan" is supposed to reminiscent of "seraphim" (because the Sarafan consider themselves a holy order, and are also referred to as "Angels of Light"), but they are meant to be different words. Hope this answers your question.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Lieutenant Raziel asked...

Hi Chris@Crystal!
I was just listening to some of the cut dialogue featuring the Priestess who was cut from the first Soul Reaver game, and I came up with a couple of questions...

First, I was wondering what the Priestess's abilities were... Not in the way of the "gift" Raziel obtains after devouring a soul (eg. Pass through barriers, climbing etc), but more in the way of how her character behaved. How she attacked Raziel, for example... Did she use a weapon (such as those possessed by the vampire worshippers) or magic?

Secondly, I was wondering if there was any possibility, no matter how slight, that the Priestess would make an appearance in another Legacy of Kain game. I think I speak for a fair few people when I say that I'd love to see her in another Legacy of Kain game...

Anyway, I don't know if you'll be able to answer these questions, but I thought I'd at least try to get an answer...

Thanks for your time.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
I believe the Priestess character was dropped pretty early in the development of SR. Although I do remember seeing the boss room for her, I do not remember seeing her animated. I'll look into this, but with most ideas that are not included in a game, there is not much to them except concept ideas.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

RAZKAIN asked...

besides the obvious 'moderator' position, what else does chris do in terms of the legacy of kain series?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey RazKain,
I tested BO1, was Lead Tester on BO1 PC, tested SR1, SR2, and am Lead Tester on BO2. I also have written walkthoughs for the hint line for many of the LOK games and helped with instruction manuals. Other games I have tested for Crystal Dynamics and Eidos include Pandemonium!, Pandemonium 2, Unholy War, Akuji, Gex, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Gex: Deep Cover Gecko, Magical Racing Tour, 102 Dalmations, Tomb Raider 4, Slam N Jam, 3D Baseball, Fear Effect, Omnicron, and Anachronox. I've also done work with Crash N Burn, Total Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, the Horde, Off World Interceptor Extreme, Star Control 2, Samurai Showdown, and Blazing Dragons. That's all I can think of right now. Hope this more then answers your question!
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Serafan asked...

hey chris... i just had a question... has CD copywritten the "soul reaver" in every way? because i wanted to get a custom forged sword of the soul reaver to put in my room lol, and i was wonderin if it was legal... thanks a lot

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
Someone asked me this before. You can have a sword made with the likeness of the Soul Reaver, but I do not believe you can sell them for profit using the name "Soul Reaver". If you get one made make sure to post a picture of it here for all to see.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Divine Shadow (ie, Yours Truly) asked...

Chris, I was summoning various character models in the PC version of Soul Reaver 2, and I found a woman called BVAMP_F. Pictures provided:]

http://lokicons.homestead.com/files/vampf1.jpg http://lokicons.homestead.com/files/vampf2.jpg http://mappster.homestead.com/files/new1.jpg

She is a very ornately detailed vampire woman, who is in the game, and yet not in the game. She seems as detailed as any of the main characters...

So, was she cut out? Who is she? Does she have a name, other than the rather uncatchy BVAMP_F?

I understand completely if you cannot tell us, due to possible SR3 spoilers. But I am very curious as to who this forgotten character was...

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello all,
I'm not sure why the cinematic with this vampire was removed from the game, but I believe it originally occured right before the double doors to the Pilars in the first time zone. Raziel watched her get staked by a few Sarafan and then he went after her killers. She did not have a name that I am aware of. Just so you all know, with any game many things are changed or removed throughout the development of a game. This is one of the things that was removed for one reason or another.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Serul asked...

...what typefonts they used for the "History abhors a paradox" line at the end of SR2, also for the names of the people in the credits (of SR2).
If you can help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Serul,
For "History Abhors a Paradox" they used a font named Valdemar.
For the credits, I think they used a font named Scurlock.
Hope this helps.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

GatesofNosgoth asked...

Does anyone know anything about when SR3 will be released? Chris is there any news?]

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
At this time a date for Soul Reaver 3 has yet to be announced. Patience my friends, the game is still in the beginning stages of development.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Turelhim Vampire asked...

what qualifications would i need to become a consept artist/games designer for crystal dynamics (or any other games company for that matter)?

i hope you can help me, and please reply soon, as i just found out i only have two weeks from today to get my university applications sent off.

cheers chris,

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello Turel,
Becoming a game designer/concept artist should not require too much schooling. this is our current wants for hireing a designer: This position requires technical as well as creative talent. You would be involved in scripting enemies and bosses. You would also assist in the design of the bosses and then implement them in our proprietary scripting language. We will train in our scripting format but previous scripting experience is necessary. Knowledge of 3D Max required.
Hope this helps out.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Unknown asked...

Hello,
I have been wondering about an enemy that appears in BO, this creature can change into a wolf. Now at first I thought it was a warewolf but I remember Kain and V can change into a wolf aswell, so to be blunt what are they, vampires or warewolfs? Thanks for your help.]

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
You are wondering about a wolf creature that appears in BO1? I remember this creature, if you kill it it turns to a human form right? I remember one for sure in Vorador's mansion that I always thought was a werewolf. The only other vampires in Vorador's mansion were his Brides. Hope this helps.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

willow ayala asked...

Hello Chris (or shall I say Lord Butterfly... *dum dum dummmmm*) I have a quick question if you have a sec.
I was just inquiring if Amy Hennig at least gave a look over on the script. The reason for this is the appearance of Vorador... He did kind of have his head chopped off. I don't see how anyone could have missed this.... so I'm assuming that this is a plot piece or it shows Kain finding a way to resurrect Vorador or it’s a dark entity or something else... And I know you can't tell us anything about the plot (well I wouldn't want to know anyway...I'd rather just play the game) But the main question is did she look over the story to make sure it's not a complete continuity error? Thanks for your time.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey Willow,
The SR and BO2 games have been developed by two separate teams within Crystal Dynamics, both working independently from each other.
I believe that the teams have discussed how the stories might cross over (and I know that Amy has read BO2's dialogue and played the game to see how it should tie in to SR3), but no, Amy was not involved in the writing of BO2's story or scripts. Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Glucolisis asked...

1. I want to know how you test a game. It is after it is "done" or you start testing right after it is playable?
2. When you say that Sr3 is in progress, what do you mean? Is there something done, or it is just the story and concept art? Or the programers are working on it?

3. What is your favorite game? and wich LOK you enjoy the most?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello Glucolisis,
Here are some answers for you:
1. The test department starts working on a game when it is almost playable. Sometimes we will start working on demos for E3 before we get the entire game. When a game is just starting out in test, it is very rough and has lots of problems. It is very frustrating at first, but as things start to get fixed and added, it is very rewarding.
2. I do not know how far along SR3 is. Be patient, let the team do its thing. Creating games is an art.
3. What is my favorite game...dificult question. Pandemonium 2, that was really fun. I like BO1 for the story, SR2 for the graphics and streaming, and BO2 for bringing Kain back as a controlable character. Honestly, I like all the LOK games, thats why I work here at Crystal Dynamics.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Sarafan Lord asked...

I am very confused on when this game takes place. Is it direct events after Blood Omen 1 or is it the aftermath of what Kain did at the end of Soul Reaver 2? This is very confusing and nobody can give me a straight answer. I was told you could help me. Thanks

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
The Soul Reaver and Blood Omen games are all a part of the Legacy of Kain series. As these games get created certain things are not fully explained as to give the player things to ponder. I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but many things are still to be revealed in the land of Nosgoth.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

DarkMessiah asked...

Hey Chris, I know I'm still a newbie to the Forum but thanks for taking interest in what we say.
I wanted to know if CD is planning to do anything about BO1? I think there is a bunch of people out there who just never had the chance to play BO1, and therefore are missing an enormous part of the whole Legacy of Kain.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
At this time we are not planning to go back and remake Blood Omen 1, although it does sound fun. The game was originally published by Activision on both the Playstation and the PC. Not sure if they are still producing copies of it or not. I will pass on your requests.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

KbH Sephiroth asked...

Why did you make it with CHapters and not like you did with BO1?It would've been sooooo much better if you could have more player freedom and go back to early areas in the game when you're stronger.]

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello there,
Blood Omen 2 was created by an entirely different team and was made to be Blood Omen 2, not Blood Omen 1. Where as I understand where you are coming from wanting a larger world and more freedom, that was achieved in BO1 because of the level of graphics and the kind of game that it was, 2-D overhead view. The BO2 team decided to make something new and that is their creation you have been playing. We'll see what happens if a Blood Omen 3 game is announced in the future.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Evelin The Winged asked...

When he got murdered by himself as a human, how old was he? 30? 20, 26?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
I do not know for sure, but I would guess that Raziel was in his 30's when he was defeated by the Soul Reaver Raziel. Even though he was a great Sarafan Warrior, I'm sure they would not normally live too far past 40. But of course this is just my opinion.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

TheElderGodofNosgoth asked...

There has been a lot of talk about this subject. I beleave that she is a vampire. Is this true. Can you put this question to rest (or is one of those uncertain things).I beleave when Kain says "What manner of creature are you? You are like no vampire that I have seen" in replience to the Seer telling Kian to drink her blood. She the Seer vampire?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi there,
In Blood Omen 2 it was not revealed exactly what kind of creature the Seer is. Since this is the Legacy of Kain series and more games are in the future, I can not give you an answer to your question. I can tell you that everything will be revealed in time.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Mallinger asked...

This is referring to one of my other posts entitled, LOK Movie?. I was just wondering if you know anything about a possibility of a LOK movie in the near or not so distant future.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
There are no plans to make a LOK movie at this time. It sounds like a great idea to me! If I hear of anything I will post it in the forums here.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Blincoln asked...

Hi Chris =).
I just realized this morning that you were the perfect person to ask this question of. A lot of people who play through the first game see what looks like a shotgun on the floor of the Oracle's Cave. I have never seen it (maybe the graphic is not there in the PC version?), but some other people seem to think it's a piece of armour or something.
Do you have an opinion either way?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hey there,
Honestly I have no idea what that is, although it does look like a shotgun. I'm going to go with the theory that Moebius might have brought it from another time period, but I do not know for sure.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

123up123down123up asked...

what do YOU want to happen in the future legacy of kain games
not what is going to happen i wanna know what u would like to happen
and who is your favorite character and why

Chris Bruno responded:

Hello,
Sorry, I was out most of last week, but now I am back. Hmmm, what do I want to happen in the future LOK games? I want us to sell lots and lots of games I suppose. The thing is I already know what is going to happen, so it is a little tricky to say what I might have wanted to happen. My favorite characters are Vorador and Elzevir. But of course Kain and Raziel are great characters too. Umah is also one of my favorites. Since I have been here at Crystal Dynamics since before the fist LOK game, I feel very connected to the series, and hope everyone will continue to enjoy plaing the games we create.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Glucolisis asked...

Hi Chris!!

You just said above that one of your favorite characters is Vorador(mine too). Here goes my question:

How do you feel that in Bo2, Vorador was SO weak?
Almost everybody said that Bo2 vorador feels "weak" like the Bo2 team took something out of him. He doesn`t give the impression of been BIG, BAD POWERFUL vampire who destroyed Malek and the circle of 9.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Glucolisis,
I understand what you are saying about Vorador in BO2. Have you played BO1? Do you know what happened to Vorador? There are reasons for how Vorador is in BO2, but I can not yet reveal them to you. I know everyone is tired of me saying that, but it's true! Almost everything in the LOK universe happens for a reason. You'll see.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Diakinos asked...

Is there actually going to be another Blood Omen game? I personally think that that would be too much of a good thing. In all honesty, I would have been happy with just the first Blood Omen, but that is just me. So, is there or is there not going to be a BO3? Thanks a lot in advance.

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi Diakinos,
Blincoln is somewhat right, but there is not a BO3 game in development right now. I personally hope there will be one in the future, and I will post here in the forums if I get any information on it.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Sayel asked...

One question, I hope the team will allow you to answer this.
We all know that Soul Reaver 1 was "cut". And now I saw a creature that was supposed to be in there...

This is it:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut1.jpg

here a pic where Raziel is fighting them:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut2.jpg

Can you please tell me what that was supposed to be?

Chris Bruno responded:

Hi,
This creature that you have a picture of were not Turelim that were cut -- this is a good guess, but inaccurate! These creatures were actually an early version of the Dumahim vampires -- they were in the game like this for a while, but ultimately we decided to redesign them. If you look at the pictures, you can see that these guys had the distinctive Dumahim needle-tongues -- that was the only feature we carried over when we remodeled them. Also on this website http://www.angelfire.com/realm/ucg/srcut.html they have screenshots from a couple of stages of the Dumahim remodeling -- both the human-looking creatures and the long-necked green creatures were early (but ultimately scrapped) versions of the Dumahim.
Also on that same website where the screenshots are posted, the authors speculate that the bluish concept sketch in the credits is Kain's castle. This is actually a conceptual rendering of the Silenced Cathedral. Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Nosgoth's Ruler asked...

Silenced Catherdral?
It is in the Intro FMV, but:
A) The ingame cathedral (although can't really be seen from that far away) looks NOTHING like that
B) I thought it was the Chronoplast tower or something...it seems too be in the right spot in the SR intro...it doesn't seem to be in the right spot to be the Silenced Catherdral...
Besides, if it is the Silenced Cathedral...how did it amplify the sound outwards? since it is a spiraly-coneshape going down, the sound would be blasted into the ground and would not likely reach vampires that ar far away...
Anyway...just a better explaination of this Spiral tower
would be great

Chris Bruno responded:

Nosgoth's Ruler,
Like I mentioned, that screenshot is just a conceptual rendering of the Silenced Cathedral. Which means it is an original drawing of what the Cathedral was going to look like, but the concept changed and became what it is now in Soul Reaver 1. Hope this answers your question.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Sayel asked...

You mean this here?]

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut4.jpg

The Position of the Silenced Cathedral is correct, it was always east from the Abyss, Raziels Clan area is west from the abyss and the Chronoplast is in the north.

But I want to know what that was supposed to be:

http://mappster.homestead.com/files/cut3.jpg

to me it looks like the home of the Priestress.

Chris Bruno responded:

Sayel,
(1) The sepia-toned piece of concept art you posted was actually an early concept for the Sanctuary of the Clans (the "mosque" built around the Pillars). We toyed with the idea of having the Sanctuary perched on a plateau, but abandoned that idea early on.

(2) In the GlyphX rendering of the Abyss, that is the Silenced Cathedral off in the distance, in the right-hand side of the frame. The other tower is just a smokestack (nothing to do with the Oracle's Cave area). The smokestack actually was part of a level we eventually cut (sadly).
Hope this answers your questions.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

------------------------

And there we go.

Chris@Crystal
7th Aug 2003, 19:25
A. Yes, there will be bosses in the game. Can't say who yet.

A. This has not been revealed yet. Kain has plenty of powerful vampiric abilities. This is the evolved Kain. I've seen many of them and they are really cool!

A. Not in the SR1 sense, no -- but both characters have a number of supernatural abilities and combat mechanics that approximate the function of SR1's glyphs.

A. This is the powerful, evolved Kain people know from the SR series. We haven't "dumbed him down" to make him a playable character -- we've given him a suite of abilities which we feel encapsulate his swordsmanship, effortless strength and sorcery, without trying to include every single ability he's ever had in the LoK series (that would be impossible - what are there, 50 of them or something?)

A. I have not seen any swimming areas for Kain. He has lots of cool abilities and will gain more as you move through the game.

A. Not exactly, though Kain is able to travel long distances with ease.

A. No longer aided by the Elder God, Raziel must devise his own ways to enter the material plane, which the player will discover over the course of LoK: Defiance. In other words, the old SR "shift at will" cheat isn't in the game, but he doesn't use portals, either.

A. Sorry that is “Top Secret Info”.

A. Both characters are armed with an incarnation of the Reaver -- Raziel with the Soul Reaver wraith blade, and Kain with the "Blood" Reaver (it's not the Soul Reaver, because it's still an empty vessel -- Raziel's soul is not in the blade).

A. Both characters acquire Reaver enhancements over the course of the game, which expand their combat abilities.

A. Yes

A. Yes, both characters acquire weapon enhancements over the course of the game which enable new mechanics within combat.

A. Raziel and Kain have different paths through the game -- sometimes they visit the same areas, and sometimes not. They acquire their weapon enhancements in different ways.

A. Raziel and Kain do not fight with their bare hands. Why would you, when you've got the Reaver?

A. The Reaver behaves differently in LoK: Defiance than it has in previous SR games.

A. Yes, but this isn't meant to be a stealth game. The combat is designed to be more over-the-top and aggressive, less about sneaking around.

A. I do not believe you will be able to dismember body parts during combat.

A. I don’t think so. But the team is still working on the game, so we’ll have to wait and see.

A. More along the lines of SR.

A. About the Chapters in LOK: Defiance

I think people are afraid that this will be linear and restrictive -- i.e., too much like self-contained missions rather than the seamlessly interconnected world of the previous SR games.

You shouldn't be concerned -- the chapters are just a way to tell the game's story, alternating between Kain and Raziel. It's not like the player is funneled into and out of the chapters without the ability to explore and play the game at their own pace. The world is still interconnected, and the player can choose to revisit already-explored areas, or take as long as they want to within each chapter. For example let's say Kain plays through chapter 1 in level x. His next chapter may take place in level y, but he can return to level x if he wants to.

Basically, within each chapter the game will feel and play just like the SR games, with freedom of exploration. The only difference is that sometimes you'll be playing Kain, and sometimes Raziel. Their paths will cross over the course of the game, and their actions will affect each other, but it's not a "buddy" game -- i.e., the player won't switch between characters to have them tackle problems together.

A. We're not giving estimates of game length yet (it's still too early). LoK: Defiance will be more non-linear and replayable than SR2 was, though.

A. Yes, there are secrets and bonus items. But you'll have to find them.

A. Yes, old LoK characters will get cameos. Can't tell you who yet.

A. We're not confirming anything specific about the story at this point, but players can expect to meet some familiar characters.

A. I'm not telling this! We don't want to spoil any of the story elements of the game.

A. I'm not giving out any story element answers.

A. Same, not revealing any story.

You will see members of all walks of life in Nosgoth in Defiance. We are not revealing any of the characters in the game yet.

A. We're not confirming anything specific about the voice talent yet, but fans can rest assured that consistency and quality are still top priority (as always).

A. I have not heard any of the voice overs for the game, they have not been recorded yet.

A. At this time the voice overs have not been recorded. I expect Kain and Raziel will say many things, hopefully there will be "killing quotes".

A. I would think the voice actors would be interested in their fans, although I have not had the chance to ask them these questions. For the most part they get their script, come to the studio and do their lines. I know some of them have attempted to play the games, but I am not sure how insiteful they are into the characters. You could try to find an e-mail address on the web for your favorite and send them a fan letter and ask them yourself.

A. We've always done multiple languages, so I'm sure that's the plan this time.

A. The only platforms that have been confirmed are the Xbox and PS2 versions.

A. At this sime I am only aware of the team working on an XBox and a PS2 version of the game. Although a PC version has not been announced, we normally port our games to the PC a short time after they are released on the consoles.

A. Unknown

A. There is no Gamecube version planned.

A. You will have to wait and see.

A. The franchise is being reunited under the title "Legacy of Kain", with Defiance being the latest game in the series. So there are no plans currently to specifically develop an SR3 or BO3.

A. There is only one ending to the game -- to tell a good story, all of the elements of the plot should culminate in an ending which is the perfect payoff for all the events that came before. This is compromised by trying to support multiple endings.

A. Around 5-6000 polys not counting the Reavers, or any SubdivisionLODs

A. Sure. You can always move closer to the camera.

A. In the versions I have tested, this effect is not in the game. The team does read these forums, more then you would think, and it could still be added. We'll have to wait and see.

A. If there will be extras, they will be both with the XBox and PS2 versions of the game. Let us finish the game first before we start worrying about the extras.

A. No. I'm sure Eidos will continue to produce LoK games as long as they remain popular. So tell you friends to get the game when it comes out!

A. The game progresses through chapters, not missions per se. (i.e., chapters are a way to tell the story through our two protagonists). There are no plans to enable players to create their own missions.

A. Don't know yet.

A. I'm pretty sure most of the music in Defiance will be original, but you never know what might get in to the final game.

A. In case you missed the other thread I started about the E3 trailer music, here it is again:

Since there were a few threads asking what music was in the LOK-Defiance trailer, I thought I would start a new thread. The track is called "In The Crossfire" from Connect's "Nu Rock Muthas" library CD. You can check them out on www.connectmusic.com .
Enjoy!

A. The song for the Defiance trailer was added by the marketing people or who ever made the trailer. As far as the game music goes, the Audio/Video crew here at Crystal Dynamics are in the process of putting together the music. I have not heard any of it yet, but chances it will be on along the same style as the previous Soul Reaver games. When I get the chance to hear some of it, I will post more info.

A. (Ed. note-answer courtesy of blincoln, who I believe has checked into this, but is not a representative/employee for CD. He's just a really amazingingly knowledgable forum member and fan who looks into this kind of stuff, as well as for deleted material from the games, for his really awesome website, www.thelostworlds.net )[/b][color=teal] [i]I'm sure the only way to get the full song is to buy the library CD, which non-professionals can't do.

A. I believe the plan is to release Defiance before the end of the year. No firm release date yet.

A. Unknown.

A. Unknown

A. I believe so.

A. We just put one out a while ago, and you need another one already? I’m sure there will be another trailer before the game is released. Be patient.

A. At this time there are no plans for an English Soul Reaver DVD similar to the German one. And hey, this is supposed to be the Defiance questions thread.

A. Yes -- Amy Hennig is writing and directing LoK: Defiance.

A. BO2 was put together and written by an entirely different team. But Defiance will incorporate the back stories of all past LOK games.

A. I believe all the Soul Reaver stories have been in Amy’s head since the beginning, but as you sit down and create the next game, things get changed for a variety of reasons as the game progresses.

A. Estimated at around 20 or so.

A. To the best of my knowledge the game will be released at the same time for the PS2 and XBox.

A. I've seen maps of some of the areas, no word yet on if a map will be included with the game.

A. Yes, our AV team consists of Kurt Harland, Jim Hedges, and Mike Peaslee. Unknown if there will be a soundtrack at this time.

A. It will be at certain points in the game, you will not be able to switch at will.

A. For the Demo it was a checkpoint system, not yet sure how if will be implemented in the full game.

A. We are not answering this. You will have to wait and see.

A. From what I have seen of the 2 versions, they look virtually identical.

A. For the demo it was a round circle of blood that emptied as he took damage. Not sure if this will be changed for the final version of the game.

A. Since the other BO and SR games did not, I do not expect Defiance to have difficulty settings.

A. In the demo Kain could only drink blood from enemies when they were almost dead, in their waver state.

A. Then they're dead. Time to find a new victim to feed your blood thirst.

A. In the original Blood Omen game all enemies had a Waver State before they died, and this was the only time Kain could feed from them....While their blood was still warm. In Blood Omen 2 This was not the case, but as far as I know this is how it will be in Defiance.

A. In the Demo the bodies disappeared after a short period of time. I am pretty sure this will also be in the full version.

A. Yes

A. There will still be lots of story and cinematics. The story will not suffer, I believe the team just wants to make the game even more fun!

A. There will be boss fights, can't tell you exactly how they will be.

A. Great question. You'll have to wait and see.

A. I have not seen all the puzzles yet, but the ones I have seen are very challenging and fun.

A. From what I have seen there will be objects to pick up for puzzles and other things. Not sure how the fighting will be when they pick up other items.

A. Yes I believe you can both pause and bypass cut-scenes in Defiance. But anything can change before it’s release

A. At this time there is not a fog in Spectral, but it is slightly changed. You will have to see it, it looks really cool.

A. I am not sure about this.

A. At this time we have not even announced what kind of characters will be in Defiance, but I do not believe any characters will have “tainted” blood.

A. At this time both versions I have seen look identical. Not sure how things might change before the 2 versions are released.

A. I’m not revealing any story or plot details of Defiance, sorry.

A. I do not know exactly what the advertising campaign for Defiance will consist of, but I do know Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 both had TV commercials.

A. It is hard to say until the game is complete. But the environments I have seen so far are beautiful and creepy.

A. I believe the plan is to release Defiance before the end of the year. No firm release date yet.

A. I know very little about the Defiance promotion other then what was listed on the web site. Hopefully Euro-fans will have the chance to participate in this promotion. If I hear anything I will let you know.

Chris@Crystal
7th Aug 2003, 19:25
A. Yes, there will be bosses in the game. Can't say who yet.

A. This has not been revealed yet. Kain has plenty of powerful vampiric abilities. This is the evolved Kain. I've seen many of them and they are really cool!

A. Not in the SR1 sense, no -- but both characters have a number of supernatural abilities and combat mechanics that approximate the function of SR1's glyphs.

A. This is the powerful, evolved Kain people know from the SR series. We haven't "dumbed him down" to make him a playable character -- we've given him a suite of abilities which we feel encapsulate his swordsmanship, effortless strength and sorcery, without trying to include every single ability he's ever had in the LoK series (that would be impossible - what are there, 50 of them or something?)

A. I have not seen any swimming areas for Kain. He has lots of cool abilities and will gain more as you move through the game.

A. Not exactly, though Kain is able to travel long distances with ease.

A. No longer aided by the Elder God, Raziel must devise his own ways to enter the material plane, which the player will discover over the course of LoK: Defiance. In other words, the old SR "shift at will" cheat isn't in the game, but he doesn't use portals, either.

A. Sorry that is “Top Secret Info”.

A. Both characters are armed with an incarnation of the Reaver -- Raziel with the Soul Reaver wraith blade, and Kain with the "Blood" Reaver (it's not the Soul Reaver, because it's still an empty vessel -- Raziel's soul is not in the blade).

A. Both characters acquire Reaver enhancements over the course of the game, which expand their combat abilities.

A. Yes

A. Yes, both characters acquire weapon enhancements over the course of the game which enable new mechanics within combat.

A. Raziel and Kain have different paths through the game -- sometimes they visit the same areas, and sometimes not. They acquire their weapon enhancements in different ways.

A. Raziel and Kain do not fight with their bare hands. Why would you, when you've got the Reaver?

A. The Reaver behaves differently in LoK: Defiance than it has in previous SR games.

A. Yes, but this isn't meant to be a stealth game. The combat is designed to be more over-the-top and aggressive, less about sneaking around.

A. I do not believe you will be able to dismember body parts during combat.

A. I don’t think so. But the team is still working on the game, so we’ll have to wait and see.

A. More along the lines of SR.

A. About the Chapters in LOK: Defiance

I think people are afraid that this will be linear and restrictive -- i.e., too much like self-contained missions rather than the seamlessly interconnected world of the previous SR games.

You shouldn't be concerned -- the chapters are just a way to tell the game's story, alternating between Kain and Raziel. It's not like the player is funneled into and out of the chapters without the ability to explore and play the game at their own pace. The world is still interconnected, and the player can choose to revisit already-explored areas, or take as long as they want to within each chapter. For example let's say Kain plays through chapter 1 in level x. His next chapter may take place in level y, but he can return to level x if he wants to.

Basically, within each chapter the game will feel and play just like the SR games, with freedom of exploration. The only difference is that sometimes you'll be playing Kain, and sometimes Raziel. Their paths will cross over the course of the game, and their actions will affect each other, but it's not a "buddy" game -- i.e., the player won't switch between characters to have them tackle problems together.

A. We're not giving estimates of game length yet (it's still too early). LoK: Defiance will be more non-linear and replayable than SR2 was, though.

A. Yes, there are secrets and bonus items. But you'll have to find them.

A. Yes, old LoK characters will get cameos. Can't tell you who yet.

A. We're not confirming anything specific about the story at this point, but players can expect to meet some familiar characters.

A. I'm not telling this! We don't want to spoil any of the story elements of the game.

A. I'm not giving out any story element answers.

A. Same, not revealing any story.

You will see members of all walks of life in Nosgoth in Defiance. We are not revealing any of the characters in the game yet.

A. We're not confirming anything specific about the voice talent yet, but fans can rest assured that consistency and quality are still top priority (as always).

A. I have not heard any of the voice overs for the game, they have not been recorded yet.

A. At this time the voice overs have not been recorded. I expect Kain and Raziel will say many things, hopefully there will be "killing quotes".

A. I would think the voice actors would be interested in their fans, although I have not had the chance to ask them these questions. For the most part they get their script, come to the studio and do their lines. I know some of them have attempted to play the games, but I am not sure how insiteful they are into the characters. You could try to find an e-mail address on the web for your favorite and send them a fan letter and ask them yourself.

A. We've always done multiple languages, so I'm sure that's the plan this time.

A. The only platforms that have been confirmed are the Xbox and PS2 versions.

A. At this sime I am only aware of the team working on an XBox and a PS2 version of the game. Although a PC version has not been announced, we normally port our games to the PC a short time after they are released on the consoles.

A. Unknown

A. There is no Gamecube version planned.

A. You will have to wait and see.

A. The franchise is being reunited under the title "Legacy of Kain", with Defiance being the latest game in the series. So there are no plans currently to specifically develop an SR3 or BO3.

A. There is only one ending to the game -- to tell a good story, all of the elements of the plot should culminate in an ending which is the perfect payoff for all the events that came before. This is compromised by trying to support multiple endings.

A. Around 5-6000 polys not counting the Reavers, or any SubdivisionLODs

A. Sure. You can always move closer to the camera.

A. In the versions I have tested, this effect is not in the game. The team does read these forums, more then you would think, and it could still be added. We'll have to wait and see.

A. If there will be extras, they will be both with the XBox and PS2 versions of the game. Let us finish the game first before we start worrying about the extras.

A. No. I'm sure Eidos will continue to produce LoK games as long as they remain popular. So tell you friends to get the game when it comes out!

A. The game progresses through chapters, not missions per se. (i.e., chapters are a way to tell the story through our two protagonists). There are no plans to enable players to create their own missions.

A. Don't know yet.

A. I'm pretty sure most of the music in Defiance will be original, but you never know what might get in to the final game.

A. In case you missed the other thread I started about the E3 trailer music, here it is again:

Since there were a few threads asking what music was in the LOK-Defiance trailer, I thought I would start a new thread. The track is called "In The Crossfire" from Connect's "Nu Rock Muthas" library CD. You can check them out on www.connectmusic.com .
Enjoy!

A. The song for the Defiance trailer was added by the marketing people or who ever made the trailer. As far as the game music goes, the Audio/Video crew here at Crystal Dynamics are in the process of putting together the music. I have not heard any of it yet, but chances it will be on along the same style as the previous Soul Reaver games. When I get the chance to hear some of it, I will post more info.

A. (Ed. note-answer courtesy of blincoln, who I believe has checked into this, but is not a representative/employee for CD. He's just a really amazingingly knowledgable forum member and fan who looks into this kind of stuff, as well as for deleted material from the games, for his really awesome website, www.thelostworlds.net )[/b][color=teal] [i]I'm sure the only way to get the full song is to buy the library CD, which non-professionals can't do.

A. Unknown.

A. Unknown

A. I believe so.

A. We just put one out a while ago, and you need another one already? I’m sure there will be another trailer before the game is released. Be patient.

A. At this time there are no plans for an English Soul Reaver DVD similar to the German one. And hey, this is supposed to be the Defiance questions thread.

A. Yes -- Amy Hennig is writing and directing LoK: Defiance.

A. BO2 was put together and written by an entirely different team. But Defiance will incorporate the back stories of all past LOK games.

A. I believe all the Soul Reaver stories have been in Amy’s head since the beginning, but as you sit down and create the next game, things get changed for a variety of reasons as the game progresses.

A. Estimated at around 20 or so.

A. To the best of my knowledge the game will be released at the same time for the PS2 and XBox.

A. I've seen maps of some of the areas, no word yet on if a map will be included with the game.

A. Yes, our AV team consists of Kurt Harland, Jim Hedges, and Mike Peaslee. Unknown if there will be a soundtrack at this time.

A. It will be at certain points in the game, you will not be able to switch at will.

A. For the Demo it was a checkpoint system, not yet sure how if will be implemented in the full game.

A. We are not answering this. You will have to wait and see.

A. From what I have seen of the 2 versions, they look virtually identical.

A. For the demo it was a round circle of blood that emptied as he took damage. Not sure if this will be changed for the final version of the game.

A. Since the other BO and SR games did not, I do not expect Defiance to have difficulty settings.

A. In the demo Kain could only drink blood from enemies when they were almost dead, in their waver state.

A. Then they're dead. Time to find a new victim to feed your blood thirst.

A. In the original Blood Omen game all enemies had a Waver State before they died, and this was the only time Kain could feed from them....While their blood was still warm. In Blood Omen 2 This was not the case, but as far as I know this is how it will be in Defiance.

A. In the Demo the bodies disappeared after a short period of time. I am pretty sure this will also be in the full version.

A. Yes

A. There will still be lots of story and cinematics. The story will not suffer, I believe the team just wants to make the game even more fun!

A. There will be boss fights, can't tell you exactly how they will be.

A. Great question. You'll have to wait and see.

A. I have not seen all the puzzles yet, but the ones I have seen are very challenging and fun.

A. From what I have seen there will be objects to pick up for puzzles and other things. Not sure how the fighting will be when they pick up other items.

A. Yes I believe you can both pause and bypass cut-scenes in Defiance. But anything can change before it’s release

A. At this time there is not a fog in Spectral, but it is slightly changed. You will have to see it, it looks really cool.

A. I am not sure about this.

A. At this time we have not even announced what kind of characters will be in Defiance, but I do not believe any characters will have “tainted” blood.

A. At this time both versions I have seen look identical. Not sure how things might change before the 2 versions are released.

A. I’m not revealing any story or plot details of Defiance, sorry.

A. I do not know exactly what the advertising campaign for Defiance will consist of, but I do know Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 both had TV commercials.

A. It is hard to say until the game is complete. But the environments I have seen so far are beautiful and creepy.

A. I know very little about the Defiance promotion other then what was listed on the web site. Hopefully Euro-fans will have the chance to participate in this promotion. If I hear anything I will let you know.

blincoln
15th Nov 2003, 03:04
Amy was kind enough to pass on some answers to questions she's seen about the game on the forums. All answers have been paraphrased.

Edit: Corrected and clarified the first and last answers.

A: "Hash'ak'gik" is the name the human worshippers use for their god. The actual Hash entity is a leader among the Hylden, who has his own
agenda. In Defiance, he possesses Janos. In Blood Omen, he uses the transformed body of Mortanius as a vessel. In Blood Omen

2, he appears as the Hylden Lord (AKA Sarafan Lord). When Raziel meets Turel, Turel is actually being possessed by a number of other Hylden (not the Hylden Lord). Many different Hylden did so in order to command their disciples.

A: To avoid confusion with Tony Jay's voice acting as The Elder God. Tony has a great voice, but it's always clear that it's him, and the intention was not to make The Elder God and Mortanius sound the same. Alastair Duncan is actually married to Anna Gunn (Ariel), but Amy didn't realize that when she was casting him.

A: Yes. When Moebius is summoned to the Citadel at the end of the game, the Elder God has resurrected him from dying at the hands of Blood Omen-era Kain.

A: The events of Defiance cause Blood Omen 2 to be possible. During the rift when the Pillars collapse, the Hylden Lord/Hash is able to escape his imprisonment and possess Janos. This means that not only does he have an indestructible vessel for himself, but once he gets another body in BO2, he has Janos prison to use to power The Device. Vorador's appearance in that game was going to be explained a little bit in the original Defiance design, but this part was trimmed down.

blincoln
15th Nov 2003, 03:52
Here's part II =).

A: The ancient vampires' prophecy foretold Raziel's coming. Janos was expecting the hero depicted in the murals, and was surprised to see Raziel's true appearance.

A: His nature as the Scion of Balance allows him to survive.

A: The Heart of Darkness cards are representations of the relic, not the real thing. Janos didn't have 99 hearts anyway =).

A: He is both. His free will results in a hybrid destiny, where he is both redeemer and destroyer.
As Amy put it, "he does triumph, and paradoxically he does destroy himself at the same time."

A: This was left deliberately vague so that a future game could cover it if desired. The implication based on the story of Blood Omen is that the circle used their dimensional- and time-travelling powers to bring him to them. Amy says that casting him as Hash wasn't a recent decision, but was made shortly after he was cut from Soul Reaver.

A: He needed fonts to imbue the Reaver that way, and the fonts were no longer available in Defiance. Amy wanted to include a cutscene or artwork indicating that the fonts had been destroyed, implying that the Elder God had pulled them under or caused them to be destroyed in some other way, but it didn't fit in the final game (see below).

A: There were a number of changes (e.g. imbuing the Reaver) that needed to be made to make the game a better finished product. Many of these are explained in the game, and there is a logical explanation for 90% of them even if it wasn't explicitly revealed. Defiance needed to appeal to both the hardcore fans and newcomers, and explaining all of the changes wouldn't have worked for both
groups.

blincoln
15th Nov 2003, 05:57
I wish. I'd love to see a coffee table book.

Here's the last set for now:

A: Azimuth and Mortanius served the Hylden, who they knew as "Hash'ak'gik." They were seduced away from their service of the Pillars by the power they unearthed beneath Avernus.

Moebius didn't serve Hash'ak'gik, though. He's always been a servant of the Elder God.

The means of summoning Turel was left deliberately vague, so that a future game might be able to cover it.

A: Moebius was introduced to the Elder God when he lived among the Vampires of the Citadel. The Elder God spoke to him even after he stopped communicating with the Vampires. The human revolt was orchestrated through Moebius by The Elder God.

A: Possession by a Hylden "uses up" regular hosts. Mortanius lasted longer because he was the Death Guardian, but eventually succumbed. Janos and Turel - as immortal Vampires - could last forever, but Turel was trapped in the Catacombs. Janos also was able to power the Device because he was the last of the Ancients. The Hylden can be gentle with their possession, which makes the host last longer, or they can fully possess them, which transforms the body - this is what has happened to the Revenants later in the game, as well as what happens to Mortanius at the end of Blood Omen.