PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Deus Ex 4

Lucifer
14th Jan 2012, 12:07
I am sure that they are working on Deus Ex 4 even If they didnt announce anything yet .Square Enix have plan to focus on Deus Ex series In next 10 years ,so its 100 % there will be next Deus Ex 4 and 5 and more. And Human Revolution have done well for them.But remember to improve boss fights like In Deus Ex 1.

Serendip1ty
15th Jan 2012, 00:19
Yeah, there are obvious hints there is more to come. A sequel will take some years though, 2014 - 2015... so i rather not think about it yet.

DLC is another question, who knows? TML came pretty fast after the release, that's for sure but personally I don't think we'll see anything soon. (i'd like to be proven wrong though)

Also dont forget about Thief 4.

McFlabbergasty
24th Jan 2012, 15:36
I've always wondered if the EM devs might take a different take on DX4 than simply "play through the Illuminati-MJ12 schism, as seen on TV!" I think Janus and the Juggernaut Collective are in sore need of screen-time. To my knowledge, neither entity is ever mentioned in HR, but they feature prominently in DX:IE and HR:TML.

So hopefully things won't take a turn towards IW when EM gets around to making Deus Ex: Majestic Rising.

ayjazz
25th Jan 2012, 14:43
So hopefully things won't take a turn towards IW when EM gets around to making Deus Ex: Majestic Rising.

I hope not either, but I have to point out, that is a BA name right there...

McFlabbergasty
25th Jan 2012, 15:53
I have to point out, that is a BA name right there...

Thanks!

I can see the game taking shape in my mind already.

The year is 2032. You start as an Illuminati-employed Woman In Black who does various missions on behalf of a newly-established U.N.A.T.C.O. Then some conspiratorial things happen, you get mixed up with the Juggernaut Collective (of which Francis Pritchard is the new leader) and Majestic-12.

You find out that your memory was wiped clean several years ago by your Illuminati employers because you knew too much about the Hyron Project, the Darrow Incident, and the early stages of nano- and pharm-aug experimentation. You were too valuable an asset to be killed, so the Illuminati planted a control-and-kill chip in your brain to extract critical information from your mind and then kill you when you are no longer useful. At some point in the game's plot, this chip is surgically removed.

The final confrontation involves Majestic-12 dispersing the Gray Death into the city of Tokyo. The Illuminati and the Juggernaut Collective are both trying to stop this for different reasons. You can help Page and Majestic 12, Francis Pritchard and the Collective, or Everett and the Illuminati.

You die in the Illuminati and MJ12 endings.

But hey, at least you have access to all three types of augs.

3rdmillhouse
25th Jan 2012, 16:46
Yeah, there are obvious hints there is more to come. A sequel will take some years though, 2014 - 2015...

I don't think so. The engine is pretty much done, the core gameplay aspects have been nailed, at this point making a sequel should be much more an iteration of a previous process, than making something up from scratch.

Jerion
25th Jan 2012, 21:07
I don't think so. The engine is pretty much done, the core gameplay aspects have been nailed, at this point making a sequel should be much more an iteration of a previous process, than making something up from scratch.

Plus this time they know how to do it. Last time around they were learning how to go about making a DX game. Compared to where they were when they started, this time around they were/are/will be ( :whistle: ) able to hit the ground running.

Cannon
25th Jan 2012, 22:29
I hope it is next gen so we can get a better engine. I loved HR, but the engine looks rather dated and the animations rather stiff. Plus, the brighter gameplay didn't do all the moody artwork justice. Just needs to looks more cinematic! And maybe bigger hub worlds.

Ashpolt
25th Jan 2012, 23:42
cinematic!

Can you hear that? That's the sound of my teeth grinding.

Cannon
26th Jan 2012, 00:40
Can you hear that? That's the sound of my teeth grinding.

Huh? You don't more cinematic visuals are possible with better graphical technology? I think games like Uncharted 3 have shown that presentation can be aided by power. I'd love to see a whole lot more going on in the hub cities and a way cleaner graphical render.

Did I say something wrong?

68_pie
26th Jan 2012, 01:05
Huh? You don't more cinematic visuals are possible with better graphical technology? I think games like Uncharted 3 have shown that presentation can be aided by power. I'd love to see a whole lot more going on in the hub cities and a way cleaner graphical render.

"Cinematic" implies a film experience. Games are not films and they should have different experiences. It seems like you probably just meant a more visually impressive game. Many modern games are going for a more "cinematic experience" and it's a bit of a bugbear around here. The overly cinematic touches of DXHR were part of the reason I felt let down by it.

We play games in order to play games not to watch a film.

Ashpolt
26th Jan 2012, 01:07

Not really, it's just a gripe of mine. Games have far, far more potential than cinema, and as far as I'm concerned, striving to make them "more cinematic" is a step backwards, akin to wanting movies to be more like books. Uncharted 3 is great at what it does, but it's barely a game: it's an interactive movie, and that the industry is trending in such a direction is a tragic waste of the potential of what gaming could be. Until the games industry stops focusing on making games more cinematic, and instead turns their attention to making them more interactive, gaming will never live up to the tremendous promise it holds. And unfortunately that won't happen without a shift in gamer mentality, because at the moment people are far too happy to just take whatever they're given, without ever wanting more. See: Call of Duty or, as you pointed out, the Uncharted series. They're cinematic, but ultimately it's nothing more than window dressing: try and do anything other than exactly what the game wants you to do, and the effect fails immediately. There are so many things which are more important to games than cinematic presentation, especially a Deus Ex game.

Eh, I'll write more about this at another time, in a more suitable place. Suffice to say though, no, you didn't say anything wrong per se, you just hit on one of Grumpy Ol' Ashpolt's nerves. :)

McFlabbergasty
26th Jan 2012, 02:33
To paraphrase Yahtzee...a game that succeeds at resembling a movie is like a cat that succeeds at resembling a dog.

The objective of a work in either medium ought not to be the emulation of a work in the other medium.

Either medium has its own strengths and weaknesses, a predisposition towards telling certain kinds of stories, if you will. Trying to copy the style of one medium while creating a work in the other is often a recipe for failure.

If you want to make a film, then go frakking make a film.

Sermon over.

3rdmillhouse
26th Jan 2012, 03:36
I hope it is next gen so we can get a better engine. I loved HR, but the engine looks rather dated and the animations rather stiff. Plus, the brighter gameplay didn't do all the moody artwork justice. Just needs to looks more cinematic! And maybe bigger hub worlds.

The animations themselves aren't a direct indicator tied to an engine's technological prowess; but I agree, some animations were bad, really bad, while some were actually great.

McFlabbergasty
26th Jan 2012, 15:02
What should the main color of DX4 be? I'm assuming the devs would pick some new color...meaning black and blue, black and yellow, and purple are out of the question.

Black and green, perhaps?

3rdmillhouse
26th Jan 2012, 21:58
What should the main color of DX4 be? I'm assuming the devs would pick some new color...meaning black and blue, black and yellow, and purple are out of the question.

Pink, they should go for pink.

joebarnin
26th Jan 2012, 22:08
Pink, they should go for pink.

Well duh. But which pink? Hot pink? Bright pink? Shocking pink? That makes all the difference. If they pick the wrong shade of pink, it'll prove that they really don't understand the DX universe.

Phlegm
28th Jan 2012, 11:17
In the sequel to the pink game the player could investigate the conspiracy as to why pink vanished from the colourscheme, only to find that dastardly Majestic 12 was behind it again.

They could throw in plenty of terrible Page puns. I bet that's why he asks everyone to call him Bob.

McFlabbergasty
28th Jan 2012, 17:54
They could throw in plenty of terrible Page puns. I bet that's why he asks everyone to call him Bob.

WALTON SIMONS: Once the augmentation project comes into fruition, the Illuminati's fate will be sealed.
BOB PAGE: Yes indeed, Mr. Simons. I think it's time...to turn the Page.

YEAAAAAAAH :cool:

3rdmillhouse
28th Jan 2012, 20:42
Well duh. But which pink? Hot pink? Bright pink? Shocking pink? That makes all the difference. If they pick the wrong shade of pink, it'll prove that they really don't understand the DX universe.

Fabulous pink.

Serendip1ty
28th Jan 2012, 21:15

Plus this time they know how to do it. Last time around they were learning how to go about making a DX game. Compared to where they were when they started, this time around they were/are/will be ( :whistle: ) able to hit the ground running.

So you really believe we'll see a quality sequel during 2013, not some stand alone add-on? Eidos Montreal persues to be a triple-A game developer so i'm assuming they'll want to impress. This stuff takes time, definitely a DX game which has complex game mechanics.

+ They don't have two separate studios working on the franchise like say, Bioshock. Bioshock Infinite has been at least 3+ years in the making already...

Zoet
28th Jan 2012, 21:30
Fabulous pink.

So a bit like this then? :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-io1ZXqa0jCs/TyRn_qUzoXI/AAAAAAAABR4/uYKPVdqwCRE/s800/84938_4820DXHR_Screenshot_TheBallsOfSarif.jpg

auric
28th Jan 2012, 22:03
If DX:IW is any indication of how they pick the ending (mix of all)

This is what I can picture.

Adam chose to destroy Panchea:
David Sarif escaped with the Sub
Taggart probably died, unless the Illuminati decides to pull him out.
Adam drowns but awoke somewhere, with his Augs damaged. (the people in the DLC may have pulled him out from the depths)

With his Augs dmged, if he's the next part's main character again, we got a fresh start.
Maybe even customise our Augs with non-Sarif industry models. :)

If he's not the main character, we'll meet him again through the eyes of another. Either its a force encounter or only "explorers" can find him doing something that may or may not interfere with our own progress.

draiocht
28th Jan 2012, 22:39
Adam chose to destroy Panchea:

I took that to be the crazy ending. You could choose it, but... really?

There are posts elsewhere in the forums about an everything-ending, but it really just summarizes down to:
1) Regulation of augmentations. (No matter the who & how of the blame, it's a direct case of industrial sabotage. In comes UNATCO!)
2) Panchea sinks. (Whether Adam pushed the button or random pressure failure w/o Hyron.)

...so DX4 never needs to explain the details.
But yeah, the ending of Missing Link does set up for Adam being fished up. Prime opportunity to reset his augs.
(Never mind previous developer interviews suggesting a preference for using Adam again.)

auric
28th Jan 2012, 23:02
I took that to be the crazy ending. You could choose it, but... really?

There are posts elsewhere in the forums about an everything-ending, but it really just summarizes down to:
1) Regulation of augmentations. (No matter the who & how of the blame, it's a direct case of industrial sabotage. In comes UNATCO!)
2) Panchea sinks. (Whether Adam pushed the button or random pressure failure w/o Hyron.)

...so DX4 never needs to explain the details.
But yeah, the ending of Missing Link does set up for Adam being fished up. Prime opportunity to reset his augs.
(Never mind previous developer interviews suggesting a preference for using Adam again.)

Is there a video on that interview? :)

draiocht
28th Jan 2012, 23:24
Ha! No relevant video (that I know of); just their tumblr (http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/) or their blogged podcasts (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs).

I got that impression somewhere in there. Of course, they never straight-up say anything definitive about future plans, so it's all grains of salt and all that....

lmprv
29th Jan 2012, 00:19
I kinda hope Adam isn't the main character in the next game. Don't get me wrong, he was a fantastic character in DX:HR. But I like Deus Ex for the universe it creates, for it being 'bigger than one man', and how everything links together. I think it would be much cooler to encounter him during the game instead. But yeah, Missing Link seems to signify that we'll be Adam again. Not being harsh - basically, EM have cooked one delicious main character cake already, and I want to taste another :P

Also, 100% AGREE with McFlabbergasty. I have a similar DX4 in my head, too, haha:

With the Tyrants dead, you are a prototype Woman in Black (using Adam's DNA, naturally), with an iconic short haircut, advanced augmentations and an ethereal manner. At some point you can join the hacking collective juggernaut, or continue to help the Illuminati with Echelon III. The game's themes are privacy, information warfare, and consciousness, with a heavy-handed contrast to our world through a juxtaposition of austere real-world dystopia and flashy technology (advertising, google, facebook, etc). There'd also be some cyberpunk man-machine mindf**k, with you losing your humanity (paler skin, hallucinations, etc) as the AIs (Eliza, Janus) gain consciosuness and humanity. The game's mood would be a little more fragile, ethereal and beautiful than HR - "melancholy high-tech urban beauty"... with shades of black, browns and purples, (but in a warm earthy way, not like Invisible War or other sci-fi)

Alas, it is all too easy to sit on the fence and dream; the guys doing the work (EM) can do whatever they want, I guess :P

Senka
29th Jan 2012, 01:03
Playing as a WIB (or MIB) would be interesting, but how could they handle the crazy aspect of it (How the MIB would always mutter things to themselves - I believe there's an awesome writeup on the net somewhere that explains a lot about the WIB/MIB's background, how they are enhanced etc. For memory it talks about why they are 'not all quite there' too. They're loyal but have the sense that something is just... wrong.)

lmprv
29th Jan 2012, 01:22
You mean this one?
http://theosek.sitesled.com/seriesp.html

But yeah, you would have to be careful about some things to avoid condradicting previous games. If you had a "prototype" WIB you could hopefully avoid a lot of problems... maybe. (kind of like how Adam is). 'Course this is just idle speculation haha! Looking forward to seeing a messed-up, down-and-out Adam in the next game I guess :)

Senka
29th Jan 2012, 01:55
Yes that's the one, thanks.

imported_the_guy
29th Jan 2012, 08:59
So a bit like this then? :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-io1ZXqa0jCs/TyRn_qUzoXI/AAAAAAAABR4/uYKPVdqwCRE/s800/84938_4820DXHR_Screenshot_TheBallsOfSarif.jpg

Needs some fluorescent pink highlights.

McFlabbergasty
29th Jan 2012, 16:48
Pink color scheme in a DX4 with a lady protagonist? How predictable. :rolleyes:

SDF121
23rd Feb 2012, 06:07
Personally, I would like to see Invisible War declared non canon and for Eidos Montreal to create a proper sequel to the original Deus Ex.

TrickyVein
23rd Feb 2012, 07:32
That image is amazing. Why does it feel so natural and right to me?

It's like (I guess you'd call it) that mind game: There's a door across the room which you need to exit. If you walk half the distance to the door, half again, then half again...and keeping walking half the distance of what's remaining to the door, how long will it take to exit the room?

OK, that example is **** but imagine that the door is Deus Ex. You begin walking across the room from your starting point which is Human Revolution. Trying to fit in as many Deus Ex: n titles, where n = the number of times you have to keep halving your distance, to walk from HR to DX is pretty lame. I'm with SDF121 on this one.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
23rd Feb 2012, 09:54

This.

I'm assuming if it follows on from DX3, it can be an even richer world, since a lot of things have been designed already.

DX2 assumes the Helios ending (one reason for hating DX2, Denton would have never merged with the machine, he loved the Underworld bar too muuch)

Which ending of DX3 do you think DX4 would assume?

SDF121
23rd Feb 2012, 16:31
I would just like to see Invisible War declared non canon so that Eidos Montreal would be able to take the series in another direction. Even Harvey Smith admitted that they completely botched Invisible War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Dr_Bob
23rd Feb 2012, 23:45

Red and green?

If Deus Ex 4 takes place during the collapse in society between the events of DXHR and DX1, then the colour scheme could be red and green. The green could represent wealth and the state of the economy, and red is just a cool colour.

SDF121
24th Feb 2012, 00:32
Red and green?

If Deus Ex 4 takes place during the collapse in society between the events of DXHR and DX1, then the colour scheme could be red and green. The green could represent wealth and the state of the economy, and red is just a cool colour.

I can't imagine a good color scheme consisting of red and green. All I think of with respect to these colors is christmas.

Personally, I would be fine with the current black and gold contrast. However, I do think that it would be cool to see each area or hub within the next game have its own distinct set of color schemes. It would certainly give them more personality and changes things up for those who grow accustomed to one particular color scheme. Or perhaps Eidos could make the color scheme something the player can customize much like the hud/menu in the original Deus Ex.

Dr_Bob
26th Feb 2012, 18:41
I can't imagine a good color scheme consisting of red and green. All I think of with respect to these colors is christmas.

Personally, I would be fine with the current black and gold contrast. However, I do think that it would be cool to see each area or hub within the next game have its own distinct set of color schemes. It would certainly give them more personality and changes things up for those who grow accustomed to one particular color scheme. Or perhaps Eidos could make the color scheme something the player can customize much like the hud/menu in the original Deus Ex.

Yeah, now that I think about it, red and green would clash too much.

biofuel
5th Mar 2012, 17:06
I am sure that they are working on Deus Ex 4 even If they didnt announce anything yet .Square Enix have plan to focus on Deus Ex series In next 10 years ,so its 100 % there will be next Deus Ex 4 and 5 and more. And Human Revolution have done well for them.But remember to improve boss fights like In Deus Ex 1.

To be honest I'm basically hoping for the impossible, when Eidos relinquishes the Deus Ex IP to a worthy party.

Deus Ex 4 could be absolutely amazing in the hands of say a Valve Software or someone similar, but other than that I'm pretty sceptical that we're going to be seeing anything great, which is unfortunate.

Ali007
5th Mar 2012, 18:15
I think adam should be in deus ex 4 because he was really great in deus ex 3 and i really liked him

Zerim
5th Mar 2012, 18:31
I think JC Denton should be in deus ex 4 because he was really great in deus ex 1 and i really liked him

Jokes aside though, how would you guys feel if DX4 featured young JC Denton or Paul Denton or something?

glyph07
6th Mar 2012, 19:33
I would just like to see Invisible War declared non canon so that Eidos Montreal would be able to take the series in another direction. Even Harvey Smith admitted that they completely botched Invisible War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Amen! I never saw this interview thanks a lot for sharing! I still would like to get a game in between HR and DX before moving again to the sequel though, mainly for the satisfaction of having a more defined arch of storyline.

OMGITSJASON
11th Mar 2012, 22:54
Just like with 98% (made up number) of great gaming franchises, there will be another one eventually. Have patience gamers.

Charles_Phipps
24th Mar 2012, 12:20
I want it to star Adam and also resolve the Megan Reed/Adam plot.

Weird, I know, but that's my favorite part along with Takedowns.

auric
29th Mar 2012, 20:48
Been watching Mass Effect playthroughs by others.

Man, DX could do wonders with such choice options & bringing it over to the next part.

Guess meshing all ending choices into one, is DX's style.

Make a choice? heck, give me all.
:D

PlasmaSnake101
29th Mar 2012, 21:19

> Boss Fights
> Deus Ex 1

My how things have changed in my absence.

UrikShino2
4th Apr 2012, 02:19
I was curious, and wanted to ask, are there any plans of making a Deus Ex 4? because i must say, for me "Deus Ex HR" was and yet is, one of the most successiful games until now, and if you guys make a Deus Ex 4, well let's just say, will be a badass game.

First i must congratulate you guys for the advancement on the grafics from the Second game to the Third, it was like 150% better. (continue like that)

OMGITSJASON
4th Apr 2012, 03:39
I honestly see no reason why not. Devs rarely if ever stop making games for a great franchise.

Shralla
4th Apr 2012, 18:51
Devs rarely if ever stop making games for a sellable franchise.

Fixed. Great franchises stop getting made all the time. The only thing that matters is if it sells. Luckily, Human Revolution both didn't suck AND sold well, so there's that.

karkarias77
24th Sep 2012, 17:21
However, I do think that it would be cool to see each area or hub within the next game have its own distinct set of color schemes. It would certainly give them more personality and changes things up for those who grow accustomed to one particular color scheme.

Agree 100%.

I absolutely loved DXHR, but the variety of locations weren't as great or as interesting as the first game imho and I also really didn't get the same feeling of globe trotting. I feel that having a two colour scheme throughout the game just exacerbated this.

My brother felt the same way about the locations but not about the colour scheme. Didn't notice any complaints in the reviews I read either.

Anyway, those are the only two real criticisms I have and maybe I'm in a minority but I'd love to see them addressed in the next game, assuming there is one.

ROCK STARTIST
12th Oct 2012, 19:07
Just a thought..

Do you think the next gen Deus Ex will have tv programs actually playing realtime video versus the slideshow we got. The Soloto Television sets were my favorite aspects of immersions, the radio was cool too.