PDA

View Full Version : Purist Mode

Sam_kain
11th Jan 2012, 13:24
This is a new mode IO introducing in Hitman Absolution, it is for Hardcore fans, it remove every thing, every accessible feature, all the HUD, everything is gone

Now that is going to be epically amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on it

Also check some new footage and more on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEmd0ZjP-o

I can see I am really impressed with how the game looks, and play, and I kine like the all black suit, or was it a priest suit ?!, I think Agent 47 is a priest, he takes care of people worries in his own way of course

According to Kotaku there is a Point Shooting mechanic much like Splinter Cell: Conviction's Mark and Execute
http://kotaku.com/5875096/get-ready-to-play-as-a-more-brutalor-more-stealthyagent-47-in-hitman-absolution/gallery/1

With some images

Nogarda
11th Jan 2012, 14:58
Purist mode sounds lovely, HUD never bothered me but considering I'm an up close and personal player, I won't need it anyway. Also had more than enough HUD free practise with Halo games so even less of a problem.

It was a priest outfit. If the haters come out of the woodwork for that one mechanic, I think they forget it was possibly the coolest mechanic from SCC, not that I will see much of it until I go for a mass murderer mess around.

Personally the best mechanic I've seen is the fluid wall movement. HA has set the bar if I can easily move around 180 degree turns as good as I could move round corners.

Sam_kain
11th Jan 2012, 15:21
totally agree, I really never played a game with no HUD at all, so this will be kinda new to me

Regarding the mechanic, it will be cool when I go Gun Blazin, but I will start with the Purist mode, to have maximum challenge, and be really immersed, I believe it is a great addition, that will make you feel like you are there, you are Agent 47, I won't use the restart or check point if I screw up and got detected, I will continue on, just like how a real agent would do if something went wrong in real life

I agree with about the movements, even the Take Down animation are fluid and fast, I hope we see Hitman Absolution in 2012, I really hope it doesn't get delayed to 2013

Over all Eidos got 2 games I can't wait for, Hitman and Tomb Raider, possibly 2 of the greatest games in 2012

omega77
11th Jan 2012, 16:43
that mode sounds great. i will have to play it a few times before i try it though.

Sam_kain
11th Jan 2012, 17:12
that mode sounds great. i will have to play it a few times before i try it though.

nooo, come on, go for it in the 1st time, that way you will have maximum challenge, and you will feel great when you finish a level :)

if you play the game first normally, you will come to know every enemy pattern ....etc

imported_Ice_man
11th Jan 2012, 17:46
^^ yeah i'm gonna play in purist mode right off the bat, it will make the game more exciting, im also not watching any of game play footage cause i don't wanna ruin anything like what i did with dead island i watched everything than got the game and was like muh because i new everything that was gonna happen

Nogarda
11th Jan 2012, 18:13
Purist Mode is just Codename 47 difficulty with a HUD removal. Quite frankly the way it should be.

mcescher1
11th Jan 2012, 19:27
nooo, come on, go for it in the 1st time, that way you will have maximum challenge, and you will feel great when you finish a level :)

if you play the game first normally, you will come to know every enemy pattern ....etc

i think i will go for purist first... see how it goes... and then play the next best which im guessing is 'professional'... to do all the things i maybe missed

but i wonder how hard it will be to identify targets and items that you need :thumb:

the more i think about it though thats kind of the exciting part :cool:

Sam_kain
11th Jan 2012, 20:37
Ice_man: I feel your pain, I wanted to watch the reviews of Batman Arkham City, but they were so long, and I was afraid of spoiling anything for myself, so I didn't watch it, I already knew it is going to be great, and once I got I was so happy, and I did the same thing with Uncharted 3, didn't watch the launch trailer or the reviews, but I still didn't play it due to exams

On the other hand some games I can't stop myself from watching, like Hitman here, Tomb Raider, Ninja Gaiden 3, BioShock Infinite, Spec Ops The Line, ....etc

If you wanted, I uploaded a video showing the new footage, you will spoil small parts of the level and some take downs, nothing major I think, but if you can stop yourself that would be great

mcescher1: Agree, I can't wait to see how much of a challenge Purist mode would be like

imported_Ice_man
11th Jan 2012, 21:20
thanks sam but im not watching anything else i already watched a couple trailers but thats all, and Arkham City and Uncharted 3 are both Awesome games

Driber
11th Jan 2012, 21:55
Purist mode, nice indeed. I'd love to see the faces of those trolls we got here earlier who were whining about H:A being for babies and posted all those ridiculous "DER" photoshops :p

Sam_kain
12th Jan 2012, 00:45
Purist mode, nice indeed. I'd love to see the faces of those trolls we got here earlier who were whining about H:A being for babies and posted all those ridiculous "DER" photoshops :p

why do I get the feeling you already knew about Purist Mode :P ?!

BTW I just got to ask, is there a chance we will get to see the Demo that was shown to the press ?!, cause according to Kotaku the devs played it both stealthy and actiony, showing different tactics and approaches, I think that would be great to watch, though I know it is way early, but no harm asking :D

mcescher1
12th Jan 2012, 03:24

BTW I just got to ask, is there a chance we will get to see the Demo that was shown to the press ?!, cause according to Kotaku the devs played it both stealthy and actiony, showing different tactics and approaches, I think that would be great to watch, though I know it is way early, but no harm asking :D

doubt it... tmi duuuddeee

Driber
12th Jan 2012, 08:24

because you're paranoid :p

(seriously, I didn't)

Travis_IO
12th Jan 2012, 13:33
Purist Mode will kick your ass

Sam_kain
12th Jan 2012, 19:38
@ Driber: yeah I know, I have this illusion, that every moderator in any forum, go and play the game some time, so i thought maybe you did :P, seems not haha

@ Travis@IO: that's not a bad thing, every hardcore fan want that LOL, BTW there was another feature mentioned in Kotaku's preview, the Point Shooting mechanic, can you shed some light on that ?!

nonprofitkilla
12th Jan 2012, 19:56
^I'm just spitballing here but I've heard that it's like Mark & Execute in Instinct mode. I might be wrong though.

Sam_kain
12th Jan 2012, 20:42
^^ yup I know that, but how will we earn the marks by CQC or is there another mean for it ?!, how many target can someone take out ?!, is it fast like SCC or slow like 007 Blood Stone ?!, .....etc

@CE
15th Jan 2012, 17:25
That sounds sooo BAD***!!! Purist mode is looking insanely difficult, but we sure wouldn't want it a different way! Loving IO for that one, they know how to please the hardcore fans!

totally agree, I really never played a game with no HUD at all, so this will be kinda new to me

Regarding the mechanic, it will be cool when I go Gun Blazin, but I will start with the Purist mode, to have maximum challenge, and be really immersed, I believe it is a great addition, that will make you feel like you are there, you are Agent 47, I won't use the restart or check point if I screw up and got detected, I will continue on, just like how a real agent would do if something went wrong in real life

I agree with about the movements, even the Take Down animation are fluid and fast, I hope we see Hitman Absolution in 2012, I really hope it doesn't get delayed to 2013

Over all Eidos got 2 games I can't wait for, Hitman and Tomb Raider, possibly 2 of the greatest games in 2012

That, is what this game should be all about on the first run! Sounds highly entertaining!!

Travis_IO
16th Jan 2012, 10:01
@ Driber: yeah I know, I have this illusion, that every moderator in any forum, go and play the game some time, so i thought maybe you did :P, seems not haha

@ Travis@IO: that's not a bad thing, every hardcore fan want that LOL, BTW there was another feature mentioned in Kotaku's preview, the Point Shooting mechanic, can you shed some light on that ?!

Kotaku themselves have done just that: "Hitman: Absolution, much like its new "instinct mode," looks absolutely ******* brilliant" (http://kotaku.com/5876095/hitman-absolution-rips-off-red-dead-redemption-in-the-coolest-way)

Driber
16th Jan 2012, 10:56
H:A "rips off" RDR?

Ugh, I'm so tired of seeing those lame one liners.

Games inspire games, movies inspire other movies, tv series other tv series and books other books, get over it :p

Sam_kain
16th Jan 2012, 12:44
Kotaku themselves have done just that: "Hitman: Absolution, much like its new "instinct mode," looks absolutely ******* brilliant" (http://kotaku.com/5876095/hitman-absolution-rips-off-red-dead-redemption-in-the-coolest-way)

yup, just read it, sounds cool, will we really be able to take out 14 target ?! :D

H:A "rips off" RDR?

Ugh, I'm so tired of seeing those lame one liners.

Games inspire games, movies inspire other movies, tv series other tv series and books other books, get over it :p

Big agree on the bold part, but let's be honest, that's exactly what the Kotaku writer said

"What I'm saying is, the deadeye mechanic in Red Dead Redemption was awesome. The fact that it has (damn well sure to some extent) inspired game mechanics in Hitman: Absolution is even more awesome. So much so that I just used awesome four times in the same paragraph." -- so he said rips off but added in the Coolest Way :p ((but yeah maybe the title wasn't that good))

Thought I got one complain, IO respond. "Well, not exactly - you see we based this off a real world technique used by Special Forces operatives. You can look it up on Wikipedia!", this should never ever have been said for many reasons, as a mechanic it looks cool, but trying to make it based on a realistic technique is so wrong

Driber
16th Jan 2012, 14:19
I just have a problem with journalists writing things like "xxx ripped off yyy". The correct term is "influenced" and it's perfectly normal. To use the term "ripp off" (even when he's then trying to balance it out with "...but in a good way") still kind of opens the door to unwarranted complaints and sets a climate for trolls coming into the discussion and jumping on the bandwagon and whining that "developer yyy" can't think of original ideas :rolleyes:

I've heard it all too many times before and it's just tiresome.

Sam_kain
16th Jan 2012, 14:47

I just have a problem with journalists writing things like "xxx ripped off yyy". The correct term is "influenced" and it's perfectly normal. To use the term "ripp off" (even when he's then trying to balance it out with "...but in a good way") still kind of opens the door to unwarranted complaints and sets a climate for trolls coming into the discussion and jumping on the bandwagon and whining that "developer yyy" can't think of original ideas :rolleyes:

I've heard it all too many times before and it's just tiresome.

I can't disagree, I myself find difference between similar mechanics, for example there is Red Eye (RDR) that lets you slow down time, mark enemies and kill them, there is Slow-Mo (Max Payne), where you slow time and shoot different enemies, there is Slow-Aim (007 Blood Stone), where you mark enemies, slow time, and aim and shot manually, and there is Mark&Execute (Splinter Cell Conviction) which I love most due to it's immersion and being a little bit realistic (at least when you are hidden and marking 2 guys only, not 4) you mark guys, and then execute in normal time, those are the same mechanics but with different application, which makes them different to me, I hope I find a different experience in H:A too, cause it is shaping to be a really great game:thumb:

Travis_IO
16th Jan 2012, 14:56
Thought I got one complain, IO respond. "Well, not exactly - you see we based this off a real world technique used by Special Forces operatives. You can look it up on Wikipedia!", this should never ever have been said for many reasons, as a mechanic it looks cool, but trying to make it based on a realistic technique is so wrong

As Kotaku humorously point out, it would be absurd of us to suggest that the point-shooting mechanic in the game could actually happen in real life. That's not what we are trying to do - but it is based or inspired on a real-life technique.

'Point-shooting' also known as 'instinct shooting' is actually a technique that is recognised in military circles and this is what we try and replicate in the game. It enables 47 to use his excellent reactions, focus and marksmanship to quickly eliminate a room of enemies when he doesn't have the time to survey a situation, quickly comes under fire and needs to react.

Hopefully, the point that comes across is that the guys who have developed this feature and made it so 'awesome' have done a good job at making it 'cool' to play. It's a really empowering feeling to slowly walk through a room that you've just cleared of enemies and point-shooting enables you to do that.

Sam_kain
16th Jan 2012, 15:47
As Kotaku humorously point out, it would be absurd of us to suggest that the point-shooting mechanic in the game could actually happen in real life. That's not what we are trying to do - but it is based or inspired on a real-life technique.

'Point-shooting' also known as 'instinct shooting' is actually a technique that is recognised in military circles and this is what we try and replicate in the game. It enables 47 to use his excellent reactions, focus and marksmanship to quickly eliminate a room of enemies when he doesn't have the time to survey a situation, quickly comes under fire and needs to react.

Hopefully, the point that comes across is that the guys who have developed this feature and made it so 'awesome' have done a good job at making it 'cool' to play. It's a really empowering feeling to slowly walk through a room that you've just cleared of enemies and point-shooting enables you to do that.

I think I somehow get what you means

@CE
16th Jan 2012, 21:22
The deadly and infamous assassin "47" returns in the new game Hitman: Absolution. IGN Editor Ryan Clements was lucky enough to get some time with the title and goes over the major changes developer IO Interactive has made to the series play style. Gone are large, sprawling levels and cluttered mini-maps, replaced now with a streamlined "Instinct" view, in which 47 can predict the path of enemies and the layout of maps.

That's a quote from the description of the video by IGN. What's up with that? Is there really no large levels no more? Or is that a mistake by IGN? Because large levels is what Hitman levels were all about.

Soleil
17th Jan 2012, 00:21
Legendary! I am so looking forward for this!

CrashB97
17th Jan 2012, 13:04
I had heard or read, can't remember which, that some of the levels will be large and contract like while others will be more linear, while still maintaining some level of player choice to get to the objective. On another note. Purist mode may kick my ass, but when I kick the game's ass in purist mode I'm going to feel bad ass.

The0Hitman47
18th Jan 2012, 18:23
I am going to play the purist mode first time through being as stealthy as possible. Then go back after completion and have some fun the action way, cant wait!!

omega77
18th Jan 2012, 18:29
I'm actually going to play it blindfolded and with chop sticks...

CrashB97
19th Jan 2012, 02:26

I pray you record it and post it on Youtube.

Travis_IO
20th Jan 2012, 09:38

That's a new take on dual-wielding! :D

shobhit777777
20th Jan 2012, 11:49
What REALLY piques my interest is the new SA rating parameters

@Travis

Can you confirm the above? will the rating requirements be tweaked in order for a more realistic and flexible system to allow for different playstyles? Thanks.

If so it would make my IRL playthroughs so much more satisfying.

Travis_IO
20th Jan 2012, 12:28
What REALLY piques my interest is the new SA rating parameters

@Travis

Can you confirm the above? will the rating requirements be tweaked in order for a more realistic and flexible system to allow for different playstyles? Thanks.

If so it would make my IRL playthroughs so much more satisfying.

The plan for the rating system is that it will be more consistent in letting you know what rank you are achieving and more importantly WHY you have been given that rank.

@ Travis@IO: there was another feature mentioned in Kotaku's preview, the Point Shooting mechanic, can you shed some light on that ?!

Also, check out the 'official' look at point-shooting in the newest article on the Barcode Society

http://www.barcode-society.com/weblog/point-shooting

Sam_kain
20th Jan 2012, 16:49
The plan for the rating system is that it will be more consistent in letting you know what rank you are achieving and more importantly WHY you have been given that rank.

Also, check out the 'official' look at point-shooting in the newest article on the Barcode Society

http://www.barcode-society.com/weblog/point-shooting

Looking good indeed, but in Purist Mode will we still have Point Shooting ?!, from what I read there is no HUD, there is no Killer Instinct, probably no meter too, so I assume in Purist Mode no Point Shooting right ?!

shobhit777777
20th Jan 2012, 17:53
@Travis

Hmmmmm....will the new system allow the achievement of the SA rating without excluding the 'Purist' playstyle? (Eg: Aggro Stealth..a la Splinter Cell Conviction?...all stealthy kills)

If so...******* great..if not..no biggie...Imagination will do ;)

Regarding Point Shooting:
I loved M&E in Conviction...I'll love it in Absolution...BUT...I think that the prospect of individually aimed ballers (allowing for the same Multi-kill, instinctive approach as the Point shooting) would have been better recieved and not to mention more innovative.

As for the mechanic itself....there'll be people bashing it ("Conviction clone" "Rip off" "dumbed down") but it does add a whole new tactical layer and adds to aggro-stealth options.
If a mechanic works (M&E works brilliantly in SCC- Aggro Stealth same as the gameplay loop that Absolution has included in its library of stealth) take it.
Uniqueness for uniqueness's sake is pointless.

But still...I am lamenting the loss of the Dual Wielding ballers mechanic...THAT would've been epic.

Lets see what Max Payne 3 brings...that looks extremely promising.

Acid_Burn
30th Mar 2012, 14:00
I wonder why everyone try to blame IO for taking 'Mark and Execute' thing from SCC.
Take a look at Mini Ninjas, which were released much earlier ;)

s5vsTBrg3pU

sgg847
30th Mar 2012, 16:34
1. How is Point and Shooting concern to purist....? or the devs are going to exclude it...like they did it with "Instinct"... nice stimulus to refuse buying this game.
2. The reason of hatred is not in "instinct", but the eloquence of the developers, who follow the silly opinion of the mass instead of protection their innovations.

Ceceli
6th Apr 2012, 06:11
Purist mode is the way, as it was always, 'cause this game is, or at least should be, all about being in the character, discovering things for yourself, all the way, hardcore style.

This casual movement of the gaming industries is ruining a lot of games.

Splinter Cell R.I.P.

What about Hitman? I'll wait for a Review before buying... A thing I never did before with this franchise, cause now, I just don't know what they will come up.

sgg847
6th Apr 2012, 14:12
Purist mode is the way, as it was always

As always bad way as idea to create several difficulty modes.