PDA

View Full Version : DX: HR Windows login screen

artisanalPraxis
10th Jan 2012, 21:09
Currently my login screen looks like this:

I'd like to get it looking more like this:

Can anyone help me find, rip or compose an image like the Deus Ex computers login screens, without the name? I can then fine-tune it according to my resolution and use it as a background so it fits around my username and the password field.

In return I'll write a tutorial on how to get your login screen looking like this. ;) It will look better on other's computers, I use a fingerprint reader and I haven't yet found a way to stop the Other Credentials button from showing up, but for people who just use their password the button will not be there and the screen will be pleasingly blank.

(Credit to Garroh for the wallpaper)

Garroh
21st Jan 2012, 18:25
I'm on it! Also, do you want the .psd or just the plain image?

ZakKa89
21st Jan 2012, 18:46
awesome idea

Garroh
21st Jan 2012, 21:51
It's all done! I've also included a .psd of the Exler OS wallpaper so you can mod that to your liking as well. Download ink at the bottom.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7700/exlerscreenspreview.jpg

Download! (http://garroh.deviantart.com/art/Exler-OS-Screens-280762963)

artisanalPraxis
24th Jan 2012, 06:26
Awesome! Thank you. As soon as I get it working I'll write up the tutorial.

MrDex
24th Jan 2012, 16:01
I am monitoring this thread, I'm anticipating your tutorial Praxis, I didn't even know you could change the log on screen in such a way.

By the way Garroh, which font did you use for that? I don't seem to have it.

Garroh
24th Jan 2012, 19:58
Yeah, I can't wait to see how it's done.
Dex, I used Cantarell, even though it's not actually the right font. The real one is Konsens Regular, but that one costs like 40$. Cantarell is free though an it looks close enough.
You can get it here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Cantarell

artisanalPraxis
24th Jan 2012, 22:47
Konsens Regular? Are you sure it's not Eurostile?

Garroh
24th Jan 2012, 23:00
Oh **** lol it is Eurostile. I just assumed it looked too much like Homeworld to be from Deus Ex. Guess I'm changing the font.

***Scratch that; I just did some comparisons and it doesn't line up quite right, unless its some condensed version i don't have. Also the / doesn't line up no matter which one I try.

lowenz
25th Jan 2012, 01:09
The circular banding is true to the original, but maybe an alternative no-banding version will be appreciated!

Garroh
25th Jan 2012, 01:28
I'm afraid there isn't anything I can do about the banding. It's the way Photoshop dithers gradients; I'm a bit bothered by it as well.

Senka
26th Jan 2012, 06:42
What font did you settle on? I might play around with the psd a little. I normally don't bother with customising windows etc but screw it this is actually pretty cool.

edit: You can fix the banding by using the gradient tool which supports dithering, but this means the gradient may not be perfectly on center (Unless you can set up some smart guide that snaps to the exact center of the document?)

Yes, that works. Ok here's my edit of Garroh's work, thanks to his supplied psd file from deviantart:

Also, I changed it to 16:9 (1920x1080). Will supply psd if needed, or 16:10 version.

http://i.imgur.com/yigKT.png

How will this work with the logon screen? Does the logon box need to be in a specific position? Will the windows blue button with white arrow always be there, can't edit it out or what? Any chance the buttons can be animated, use disconnect for shutdown options? What about linux/ubuntu, I'm sure that'd be more customisable if you have the time? Also I just noticed the shadowing left behind in the above image has dithering, so I've removed that now.

Might do this to remove welcome screen user image: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/127719-removing-picture-frame-startup-login-screen-2.html
I see the OP has also removed the windows ultimate or whatever image, share the wealth..

lowenz
26th Jan 2012, 13:07
Thanks for fixing the banding! :D

Garroh
26th Jan 2012, 14:39
Thanks a lot for fixing the banding! Font wise, I did a little research and the "Exler Operating Systems" text is in Cantarell or something similar, but the text on the login screen is indeed in Eurostile. I'm working on an update that will change the fonts and stuff. I'm also adding the portrait to the login screen. I can't wait to see how the windows login screen ends up. Also, as long as we're talking about wallpapers and such, I think you should all ee this excellent Picus Illuminati wallpaper I found the other day: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=deus+ex+illuminati#/d4ac38w

The unfortunate thing is that it's only 1024 x 768 but otherwise it looks great.

artisanalPraxis
26th Jan 2012, 21:44
Right now I'm just struggling to figure out how to remove the username from the login screen. Can't find the element in the DLL. Looks pretty hacked together with the username sitting there twice, once in the UI and once in the background image. (not that removing it from the background image would be any better) I should find it soon, though, it's just a matter of time.

Probably will be able to make Disconnect bring up the shutdown options. (the images for the default button appear to be relatively easily editable, and the button can easily be shifted to the middle instead of the side) This will have the additional benefit of causing the Disconnect button to not appear when the computer is locked rather than logged off. (Just as is already true about the Windows shutdown button)

May or may not be able to change the blue password submit button. (the images for this button are likewise clear, but the code for the button is spread through multiple places, so I don't know whether I will succeed in editing it) It looks like it would look pretty good with the default button replacing the Deus Ex themed one, though, so no worries.

The mouse-over animation functionality that already exists in the default can be reused but no new animation can be added.

Besides removing the username, I am only having one issue, which is changing the position of the password box. As a substitute I shifted the Deus Ex login screen in the image down to fit around the box. This is hopefully temporary, although it looks pretty good the way it is.

Garroh
30th Jan 2012, 07:56
I can't wait to see it!

Senka
31st Jan 2012, 01:05
One problem, it seems the position of the password box and blue login button slightly change position -the very first login it is slightly lower than when you login from a locked screen. Are there separate position values for the two screens?

MrDex
6th Feb 2012, 07:21
I don't mean to be impatient, but have you made any progress on making this work?

Garroh
9th Feb 2012, 23:40
Hows the screen coming?

Senka
10th Feb 2012, 01:47
Interestingly enough windows failed to boot the other day, ran through a system repair and it didn't find any problems, only thing it seems to have done is revert the authui.dll. Now since it was working for weeks I don't think it was really what caused the problem, but until I can get a authui.dll worth using I'll leave it as default just in case.

SirGray
20th Feb 2012, 05:11
is this ever going to be completed? because this idea is absolutely awesome! I would just love to have a Deus Ex login screen for my pc.

lowenz
8th Mar 2012, 22:04
is this ever going to be completed? because this idea is absolutely awesome! I would just love to have a Deus Ex login screen for my pc.
Up!

OMGITSJASON
13th Mar 2012, 23:21
Some of you guys and gals are talented.

lowenz
1st Apr 2012, 17:21
Up!

Senka
3rd Apr 2012, 07:09
give OP what he needs.

never updates us.