PDA

View Full Version : Missed the point of Deus Ex.

Dead-Eye
2nd Jan 2012, 01:25
Don't get me wrong, Human Revolution is a good game by itself. However something about it is just wrong when I try and fit it in with the whole, world of Deus Ex thing. Kinda like Invisible war, where I try and pretend it's not cannon but can't deny that it is. However unlike invisible war, it's not a complete and utter failure and it doesn't completely disappoint me in every way imaginable more then anything in my life could have at the time. No, Human Revolution was just regular old disappointing; Like buying a game because you watched a G4 review of it, or when you go to burger king and they give you cold french fries.

It's been nagging at me for some time, as I just recently purchased the missing link on a steam sale and realized I didn't care enough to play it. And I haven't even bothered with a second play-through of Human Revolution because I just don't see the point. I have to ask myself the question, whats wrong with this game?

It's not that it's a bad game, it's a good game by today's standards, the problem is that it just doesn't feel like Deus Ex, it feels more like a Matrix movie made out of cardboard and something is wrong with that. The level design lacks basically all the sandbox features of Deus Ex, and it seems like the level designers were not allowed to be creative as to insure everything was idiot proof. The lack of melee weapons is just pure nonsense, this game cannot be a self respecting RPG without them and the call of duty style health system, the lack of swimming... it just all adds up to the realization that something is very wrong with this game, and I don't think the developers are to blame.

No, the reason why Human Revolution is not as good as Deus Ex is not because it can't be, but rather because the current state of the gaming industry is unable to produce anything close to as good as Deus Ex. More generally, the entire social economic system of the world is the hindrance on making great games happen today. Anyone who knows me knows I have talked a lot about the social economic tyranny we now live under, the globalization of privet banking cartels, the creation of the E.U. and the now failed attempts by the New World Order to establish a North American Union, the false flag events of 9-11 and historical rise of tyranny, the child eating by Babylonian raptor priests inside the vatican. :rasp: So, I don't blame Edios Montreal for producing a lackluster video game, I blame the Illuminati for making the world suck in the first place, thus in leading the entire gaming industry to produce lackluster video games in general, and thus no worthy sequel to the greatest game ever made.

It's really no surprise when we look at the current state of the gaming industry, whatever magic these games had, as Deus Ex did, is now gone. Instead all we are left with in this day of age are the quasi-war training simulators like Call of Duty, or horribly generic RPG's like Dragon Age. The industry has ceased to try new ideas, and something tells me that they have been structured in a way as to insure anyone with good ideas is at the bottom of the pipeline and never gets heard. Why is everything such crap? Because the Illuminati (the real Illuminati, like in real life) has totally corrupted the video game industry as they did T.V, movies and music. They built the pipework to make sure that good games don't happen, just like everything else. Other peoples ideas are shot down not because they are bad ideas, but because building a game that is anything close to what Deus Ex was gives the people too much knowledge. It makes them too smart, they use too many brain cells.

So instead we are fed this illusions that the reason why games are such crap today is because everyone else is an idiot, and idiots like idiot games so that's why they sell so well. However this is not true; the games are made this way to make you an idiot, not for the benefit of idiots. They make the games this dumb because they want YOU to be this dumb, not because the majority of people out there are this dumb. So they buy the games and botch the numbers to make it seem like certain games are more popular then they are, like Bioshock which is about as idiot proof as it gets. In this way they have completely corrupted the industry without the developers even knowing it. After all they are just reacting to market manipulation by the Illuminati's mega banks that can print money at will and control the media to make us think we are all stupid.

In closing, Don't let them control you. Protest this garbage industry for the garbage it has become, this is not what gaming is all about, this is what the mega banks and wall st. are all about. It's best to just avoid all of this stuff until it get's better. Fortunately, as it is 2012, the Illuminati will be exposed this year which will have nothing but a positive effect on the industry, actually all industries for that matter. As games about fighting the Illuminati will switch from the minority to the norm, and movies will challenge their viewers again. We must remain vigilant, it is always coldest before the dawn.

Senka
2nd Jan 2012, 02:49
You started off ok, I began skimming once you started reciting your usual conspiracy rubbish and laughed when you introduced the illuminati into the decline of the video game industry.

3/5 stars, creative linking of our interests with your crazy ideas (wishes?). Would read again (if drunk).

Panpiper
2nd Jan 2012, 02:50
Never blame on malice, or the Illuminati, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

That said, while I tend to be 'extremely' critical of the computer gaming industry of the last ten years, this edition of Deus Ex was refreshingly well done in my opinion. I am especially fond of the very well put together cut scenes and the way they narrate the movie we control the action part of.

sonicsidewinder
2nd Jan 2012, 03:04
You're always good for a lol Dead-Eye.

But you're right with your first 3 paragraphs.

TrickyVein
2nd Jan 2012, 04:44
It's best to just avoid all of this stuff until it get's better.

How, exactly will it get better without anybody's input? Anybody who can interpret these signs correctly and who wants to take action against our reptilian overlords?

There needs to be a plan.

VectorM
2nd Jan 2012, 05:20
Truly enlightening.

JCpies
2nd Jan 2012, 11:28
We must remain vigilant, it is always coldest before the dawn.

I thought the quote was "It is always darkest before the dawn." :scratch:

TrickyVein
2nd Jan 2012, 14:57
Both hold true. Nothing to fret over.

Saerain
3rd Jan 2012, 04:16
I remember a time and a place so beautiful: children bathed in their own blood, sipping margaritas from hollowed-out rhino horns on the savannah as the sun sets; what an innocent time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5730951/Images/eoedoad.gif

Goodfeller
3rd Jan 2012, 08:51
We must remain vigilant, it is always coldest before the dawn.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

- Thomas Jefferson.

Dead-Eye
3rd Jan 2012, 18:22
I think the biggest thing that upsets me about Deus Ex: Human Revolution is that, they (The developers) didn't realize that Deus Ex was basically Dungeons and Dragons with a different theme; I would call it Scientists and Laboratories (Or Cyberpunk, but that's too general.) You replace Orks with with UNATCO, you replace gold with credits, you replace weapon enchantments with weapon mods, you replace magic with augmentations, and skills are just more relevant skills. Basically, Deus Ex is a Role Playing Game that targets the market of role playing gamers, like Skyrim or Fallout.

If we think about it, Dungeons and Dragons was basically the original sandbox game, before Grand Theft Auto turned it into a trend. And Warren Specter treated the Deus Ex like that type of sandbox when they made the game, and as we know Deus Ex was released well before Grand Theft Auto 3.

Human Revolution dose not feel like a Sandbox at all, it feels more like an action war training simulator for the real world, a little too Tom Clancy imo. My conclusion is that Deus Ex itself has become too relevant. I think it's become hard to understand that back in the 90s, all this New World Order stuff was just hearsay: now, it's right in your face. So, Warren Specter didn't add the New World Order stuff to Deus Ex because he's a Conspiracy Theorist, the guy works for Disney for gods sakes! Warren Specter added the New World Order stuff because it was the only plot element he could find that worked as a replacement for wizards and witches from his Dungeons and Dragons games, you see?

Don't you see that, transgenics, top-secret underground facilities, augmentations, these are really all just replacements for monsters, dungeons, and magic respectively. Unfortunately, all the New World Order stuff turned out to be true, kinda like how they got the twin towers right. We can all see it now, and theirs no denying it. Thus, we can't see the fantasy world anymore, it looks too much like the real one for us to know the difference. On top of that, the media has still not changed it's program of mass mind manipulation that doesn't work anymore, so Deus Ex 3, tried to avoid criticism by focusing on augmentations as a central theme. Even that is too relevant as we can see it now, but it's not nearly as relevant as centralized banking robbing the world right in front of our eyes.

Fortunately when the Illuminati is exposed, which I believe that is what 2012 is all about, the program will change and people like David Icke, Alex Jones, Ron Paul will become the establishment, and the old establishment will flee it's own police state as the guns turn on them. Thus, after such a dramatic event, everyone will realize that the reason everything sucks nowadays is because of the corruption that has been systemic thought our society. After removing that corruption, or healing it, like one heals a disease, everything will stop sucking so much, and Deus Ex 4 will be a phenomenal sequel to Deus Ex...

That's what I hope for.

pukster
4th Jan 2012, 00:25
In this world, when something gets popular, it gets larger than life and creativity takes a back seat. When you had a development budget of 1 million dollars for a game like Command and Conquer, anyone with the brains can get together, get a loan and make a solid game.

Enter EA

Now you get idiot casual gamers who want maximum textures on an irrelevant cut scene, and games have a budget of 1 billion dollars. Suits step in. They demand deadlines be met. There is no time to make a vision into reality. Therefore, the game suffers.

Olgerth Heidern
4th Jan 2012, 16:53
It's always darkest before it goes pitch-black.

The gaming industry will continue to trend towards greater simplification, quicker rewards and broader mass appeal until such day when consoles fall out of fashion and gaming once again becomes the province of the quirky and the brainy. This will not happen within your lifetime. Here is what you WILL see within your lifetime: games considered market-worthy only if one of the Kardashian siblings or Snooki or The Situation can beat it within 10 hours or less without having to exert whatever is left of their mental capabilities.

Mass appeal makes big money and ruins everything it touches. Look at the modern Internet: social media did not just lower the bar for entry, it destroyed the said bar with a fire axe, set it on fire, snorted the ash and crapped out the results. Now, the dregs of human race that barely have three functional brain cells among all of them make it their life mission to churn out new vomitous garbage with the speed and regularity of machine guns, and their hangers-on slurp it up and bray for more. And why not, it all creates traffic and in many cases tangible revenue.

Gaming industry marches to the same drumbeat, and it will not change anytime soon.

MaxxQ1
4th Jan 2012, 17:25
It's always darkest before it goes pitch-black.

The gaming industry will continue to trend towards greater simplification, quicker rewards and broader mass appeal until such day when consoles fall out of fashion and gaming once again becomes the province of the quirky and the brainy. This will not happen within your lifetime. Here is what you WILL see within your lifetime: games considered market-worthy only if one of the Kardashian siblings or Snooki or The Situation can beat it within 10 hours or less without having to exert whatever is left of their mental capabilities.

Mass appeal makes big money and ruins everything it touches. Look at the modern Internet: social media did not just lower the bar for entry, it destroyed the said bar with a fire axe, set it on fire, snorted the ash and crapped out the results. Now, the dregs of human race that barely have three functional brain cells among all of them make it their life mission to churn out new vomitous garbage with the speed and regularity of machine guns, and their hangers-on slurp it up and bray for more. And why not, it all creates traffic and in many cases tangible revenue.

Gaming industry marches to the same drumbeat, and it will not change anytime soon.

Heh... and I thought *Pinky* had the lock on creative writing.

Well-written, sir. :thumb:

pukster
5th Jan 2012, 00:38
I miss the games that made you think, like The Neverhood Chronicles, Deus Ex, or Command and Conquer. The Neverhood Chronicles essentially provided you with their version of a bible. And Command and Conquer had the cool references in there:

-Kane (Cain)
-Seth (Abel)
-The Brotherhood of Nod (The Land of Nod)
-Tiberium (the Tiber river/ Julius Tiberius)
-Sarajevo
-Achilles

Crysis was the last of the 'gutsy' PC games, and the only thing it could really get out was:
-Prophet
-Nomad
-Call Me Ishmael

that's it!

biofuel
6th Jan 2012, 11:50
Don't get me wrong, Human Revolution is a good game by itself. However something about it is just wrong when I try and fit it in with the whole, world of Deus Ex thing. Kinda like Invisible war, where I try and pretend it's not cannon but can't deny that it is. However unlike invisible war, it's not a complete and utter failure and it doesn't completely disappoint me in every way imaginable more then anything in my life could have at the time. No, Human Revolution was just regular old disappointing; Like buying a game because you watched a G4 review of it, or when you go to burger king and they give you cold french fries.

It's been nagging at me for some time, as I just recently purchased the missing link on a steam sale and realized I didn't care enough to play it. And I haven't even bothered with a second play-through of Human Revolution because I just don't see the point. I have to ask myself the question, whats wrong with this game?

It's not that it's a bad game, it's a good game by today's standards, the problem is that it just doesn't feel like Deus Ex, it feels more like a Matrix movie made out of cardboard and something is wrong with that. The level design lacks basically all the sandbox features of Deus Ex, and it seems like the level designers were not allowed to be creative as to insure everything was idiot proof. The lack of melee weapons is just pure nonsense, this game cannot be a self respecting RPG without them and the call of duty style health system, the lack of swimming... it just all adds up to the realization that something is very wrong with this game, and I don't think the developers are to blame.

No, the reason why Human Revolution is not as good as Deus Ex is not because it can't be, but rather because the current state of the gaming industry is unable to produce anything close to as good as Deus Ex. More generally, the entire social economic system of the world is the hindrance on making great games happen today. Anyone who knows me knows I have talked a lot about the social economic tyranny we now live under, the globalization of privet banking cartels, the creation of the E.U. and the now failed attempts by the New World Order to establish a North American Union, the false flag events of 9-11 and historical rise of tyranny, the child eating by Babylonian raptor priests inside the vatican. :rasp: So, I don't blame Eidos Montreal for producing a lackluster video game, I blame the Illuminati for making the world suck in the first place, thus in leading the entire gaming industry to produce lackluster video games in general, and thus no worthy sequel to the greatest game ever made.

It's really no surprise when we look at the current state of the gaming industry, whatever magic these games had, as Deus Ex did, is now gone. Instead all we are left with in this day of age are the quasi-war training simulators like Call of Duty, or horribly generic RPG's like Dragon Age. The industry has ceased to try new ideas, and something tells me that they have been structured in a way as to insure anyone with good ideas is at the bottom of the pipeline and never gets heard. Why is everything such crap? Because the Illuminati (the real Illuminati, like in real life) has totally corrupted the video game industry as they did T.V, movies and music. They built the pipework to make sure that good games don't happen, just like everything else. Other peoples ideas are shot down not because they are bad ideas, but because building a game that is anything close to what Deus Ex was gives the people too much knowledge. It makes them too smart, they use too many brain cells.

So instead we are fed this illusions that the reason why games are such crap today is because everyone else is an idiot, and idiots like idiot games so that's why they sell so well. However this is not true; the games are made this way to make you an idiot, not for the benefit of idiots. They make the games this dumb because they want YOU to be this dumb, not because the majority of people out there are this dumb. So they buy the games and botch the numbers to make it seem like certain games are more popular then they are, like Bioshock which is about as idiot proof as it gets. In this way they have completely corrupted the industry without the developers even knowing it. After all they are just reacting to market manipulation by the Illuminati's mega banks that can print money at will and control the media to make us think we are all stupid.

In closing, Don't let them control you. Protest this garbage industry for the garbage it has become, this is not what gaming is all about, this is what the mega banks and wall st. are all about. It's best to just avoid all of this stuff until it get's better. Fortunately, as it is 2012, the Illuminati will be exposed this year which will have nothing but a positive effect on the industry, actually all industries for that matter. As games about fighting the Illuminati will switch from the minority to the norm, and movies will challenge their viewers again. We must remain vigilant, it is always coldest before the dawn.

Minus all the conspiracy stuff, of which I do not have an opinion on, I'd suggest you're spot on in regard to your post-play analysis of Human Revolution.

As a "true believer" when it comes to the first game, and having since bought, completed and then quickly swapped at my local videogame store for "Red Dead Redemption" this Deus Ex effort from Eidos Montreal, I've been of course on occasion wondering just *what it is* that was missing from the game...

It wasn't special, in any way, is the best I can come up with. I mean, for sure the game had a spectacular art design and implementation, to a point, and of course I spent ages examining every nook, cranny and amazing-looking vista (such as the top-level of Hengsha, amazing) but visuals are just that... visuals... It's like, nothing warming or tickling your soul in the way the first game did, rather your mind "appreciates" the views and prettiest of pictures as it were, but inherently visuals are superficial, in terms of an immersive game like Deus Ex. For the developers to spend such a large portion of their energies and resources on the visuals I think was a mistake, but as you elude to, in this day and age in the current climate of what is almost of course mandatory in the way of visuals, probably a necessary one.

So where was the "soul", then, and how could they have made the game seem more alive and crucial..? Probably too big of a question for me to begin to attempt to answer here, though I'll drum up a few bullet points:

* music was lacking
* humour was lacking
* game mechanics felt sterile (less emphasis on graphics, more on game mechanics would have been better)

Much repeated points I'm sure, and each of them has a whole world of implementation and design considerations, but all in all, I'd say the problem ultimately lies with the design team. So a different developer, with a different approach; just as a little example, if Valve had made this latest Deus Ex, it could have been amazing just a gut feeling I have.

Saerain
6th Jan 2012, 15:09
Eidos Montreal needs Dead-Eye to write for Glenn Be—Lazarus, or whoever succeeds Lazarus.

Cluith
18th Jan 2012, 06:33
So a different developer, with a different approach; just as a little example, if Valve had made this latest Deus Ex, it could have been amazing just a gut feeling I have.

If Valve made Deus Ex 3, the game would be finished in 2027.

pukster
18th Jan 2012, 14:24

lol

3rdmillhouse
19th Jan 2012, 03:42
Is he for real with that conspiracy BS?

True dat.